Page 1 of 1

IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:47 pm
by Leonulf
14th July 1922 - Arnoldsburg, Michigan / Time: 13:24 PM

Your train slows down to halt and as you approach the platform you can see the sign for "Arnoldsburg". A whistle blows signalling that it's safe to embark or disembark from the train. As you climb out of your carriage on to the platform a smartly dressed man in his 60s beckons you over, you notice his other arm is beckoning from another direction and as you turn you notice another gentleman disembarking from the train, a glint of familiarity exchanges between your eyes.

You both approach the man, and notice a class ring from the Miskatonic University on his finger.

"Afternoon Gentlemen, I am glad you both arrived safely. I am Professor Wagner, I requested that both of you come to Arnoldsburg for three reasons"

Wagner pauses to cough for a moment.

"Apologies, emphysema is the bane of my existence. To continue... Firstly you both have skills well suited to the task at hand, and secondly, I believe you both have some degree of familiarity with each other. "

Professor Wagner leans back slightly as a hint of a grin sneaks accross his face leaving the third reason unsaid.

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:03 pm
by jp1885

Harrison had spent the majority of the train journey wondering how the devil he knew Professor Wagner, and more to the point, how the Professor knew him. Perhaps they had corresponded about some rare book or other, but for the life of him he couldn't recall...

His puzzlement, however, fades quickly as the good Professor speaks to him and his fellow traveller, who he recognises immediately.

"Why if if isn't old Wessells!" Harrison's accent is an odd mix of New England twang and clipped Dominion British, with the occasional rounded Canadian vowel sneaking through. "Please excuse us Professor, but I haven't seen this old cove for simply an age!"

He shakes John's hand warmly.

"Still churning out that nonsense eh? I've still got a first edition Great God Pan with your name on it old man - show you how it's really done!" He jokes.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:32 am
by HoneyDog
John Wessells

“What is he doing here?” thinks John as he shakes Harrison’s hand. Although he admires the man’s knowledge and intellect, he has doubts about his motives.

“That nonsense helps pay the bills, Harrison he says. “Good to see you again. I see that you received the same strange summons.”

He turns and offers his hand to Wagner. “Nice to meet you Professor. I hope we’ll hear more about the third reason you mentioned” he says genially.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:30 am
by Leonulf
Time: 13:30 PM

(1)|<==========| |==>
(2)|***********************
(3)|********@*************
(4)|*******@*@***********
(5)|*[---][---][---]<o>>>

1: Station Exit (North to town centre / East to Aylesbury Street)
3: Professor Wagner
4: Holt / Wessells
5: Train Carriages

Professor Wagner's expression widens as he reaches for the handshake before being taken aback slightly by a minor coughing fit.

"Blasted ..." he breaks off into a mutter for a moment.

"Excuse me. Ah yes the third reason, this I hope will be most exciting. Well it was for me aha! During your studies at the Miskatonic I am sure you were aware of a group of students and faculty members - The Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained. It's not just for current students you know, anyway we were contacted with a small investigative job and I thought of you two. This is a trial of sorts, if the investigation goes well then you will be offered membership. It really is most prestigious. Nowadays I mainly act as a go between, my damn lungs aren't up to much these days. We have always kept detailed records on students and alumni, my task is to identify those who stand out."

He pauses to catch his breath, it is clear that even speaking at length can be a struggle for the old professor.

"Now I am sure you wish to here about the investigation itself. A week ago the house of a Mr Thomas Kimball was burgled. It seem's a few books were stolen, this is not something he would like to trouble the police - stolen books are hardly a priority for them. Sounds mundane doesn't it? Ah but you see the books belonged to his uncle, Douglas Kimball who has been missing a year. Thomas now resides in the house, and he would like to know who stole those books, and the whereabouts of his uncle - and indeed if he is even alive. You will of course be paid expenses plus a reward of $10 upon completion. But as mentioned, there is a greater reward on offer." He starts to grin again and gives you both a wink.

Wagner clears his throat "The Kimball residence is in the suburbs - 218 Aylesbury Street, he is expecting you and has prepared a spare room for you each, so no need to find lodgings."

Spoiler:
OOC: I am going to attempt to make little ascii maps for the scenes, please excuse me if they are terrible.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:00 pm
by jp1885

It is quite possible that one might see dollar signs light up in Harrison's eyes at the mention of the stolen books. If they were stolen, then they were undoubtedly valuable and Harrison has never been particularly scrupulous about the providence of the books that he buys.

He looks slightly askance at the professor when he mentions keeping records on students though.

"If I'm honest, I don't like the idea of my details being kept in a ledger somewhere without my knowledge, but I'm gratified that you think I might be of assistance. Besides, I don't want to have come all this way for nothing."

"Tell me about Mr. Kimball and his uncle - were they collectors? If so, of any particular oeuvre?"

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:53 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 13:33 PM

The train you both arrived on pulls away as a whistle briefly deafens your ears.

Professor Wagner takes out a pocket watch and examines it, "Oh don't mind ledgers and such, the written word does not pry - but the writer? The reader!? Ahah". He seems rather amused with himself as he replaces his pocket watch into his top pocket. "Good questions perhaps - but as I say I am no longer hands on, my information is limited. I did meet with Mr Thomas Kimball briefly, he is a friendly albeit rather quiet fellow. Appears studious but not exemplary. I will be taking the next train back to Arkham, it should be here shortly so I must make my leave and cross the platform - I can't be rushing around at my age. I recommend heading to 218 Aylesbury Street, and off loading any luggage at Mr Kimball's residence. Mr Kimball will hopefully be able to answer your question's I am sure. Following the road out of town East should take you there in about 35 minutes at a nice leisurely pace."

He nods to you both and makes his way to the small footbridge to cross the platform, he is shuffling rather slowly but seems quite happy. Wagner turns around "And I do hope to see you both again, I am not often wrong about people", he turns away and pauses for a few seconds with another minor coughing fit before continuing.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 am
by jp1885

Harrison watches Wagner as he disappears into the crowd on the platform. he turns to John, smiling ruefully.

"It's seems we've been left holding thew baby eh? Odd business this, but I suppose we'd better press on. Let's collect our luggage and find a taxi."

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:03 pm
by HoneyDog
"Oh, for sure it's odd" says John, grabbing his valise. "But I'm sure you smell an opportunity Harrison. I'm sure you're wondering what books were taken."

He winks facetiously and leads the way out of the station.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:04 pm
by jp1885

"The thought may have crossed my mind..."

Harrison chuckles and follows his old friend.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:00 pm
by HoneyDog
Outside, John hails a taxi and asks for Aylesbury Street.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 13:38 PM

(1)|****************#[N]***********
(2)|****************#***************
(3)|*[[Shops]]****#*[[Shops]]***
(4)|############>@>########
(5)|****#**********#*[L]**[D]*****
(6)|****#[P]******#****************
(7)|****#*********#****************
(8)|****########*****************
(9)|*[[Train Station]]************

N: Local Newspaper / P: Police Station
L: Library / D: Lunch Car (Diner)
>@> Taxi

You both get into the back of the taxi, the driver nods at the request of Aylesbury Street, "That won't take long, the name's Willard. You look like out of towners - business or visting family? And you got a house number in particular you need me to take you to?"

Willard pulls out from the station and drives past the local police station before heading east towards Aylesbury Street, you can see a number of local shops on the left hand side of the road, and a library and lunch car on the right. You notice Willard raise his left hand slightly off the steering wheel as a gesture to a pedestrian walking by the shops.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:40 pm
by jp1885

"Two-eighteen please Mr. Willard. We're here on business - at least I think so."

Harrison idly inspects the view outside as they drive along, looking out for any interesting bookshops or second-hand stores.

"Pal of yours?" He asks as the driver waves to the pedestrian.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:38 am
by Leonulf
Time: 13:39 PM

The taxi continues along the road.

Willard answers cheerfully "Ah just Willard is fine, I know that place, Mr Kimball's house right by a graveyard, can't miss it."
He laughs "Ah we are pretty friendly in Arnoldsburg, I know pretty much everyone. That was Mrs Green, she runs the general store with her husband."

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:03 pm
by HoneyDog
"Do you know Mr. Thomas Kimball?" asks John.

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:48 am
by Leonulf
Time: 13:40 PM

The taxi leaves the main town centre and starts to enter the suburbs.

"Thomas? - Not really, I don't see him around much. I knew his uncle before he went missing, occasionally took him into town so he could acquire books. He was fond of walking normally but sometimes if he had a number of books to pick up, a taxi ride was easier. Used to be a chatty fellow, but in recent years he didn't seem himself."

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 am
by jp1885

"Where did his uncle get his books from?" asks Harrison, trying to sound casual.

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:53 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 13:41 PM

"There is a small book store in town, I think he ran through their stock pretty quick, Martha only has a small selection but she can order anything in. In the months before he vanished he started to get them delivered, did not even venture to the library anymore. Oh we are aren't far from Aylesbury Street, should be there shortly."

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:50 pm
by HoneyDog
"Do you know anything about the disappearance?" asks John. "I mean, was there a police investigation?"

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:55 pm
by jp1885

"And in a similar vein," Harrison chips in, "is there much of a criminal element around here? Any shady characters who'd be likely suspects for the break-in?"

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:04 am
by Leonulf
Time: 13:43 PM

(1)|**************************************|**G******[M]*****
(2)|**************************************|**G*******#*******
(3)|######**********************###****|*********##*G*[M]
(4)|*****
[==]*********#####****#**######*S**##**********
(5)|*****
[==]********#*****#####*******|#####**[M]******
(6)|**
[======]#####*******************|*[M]**************
(7)|**
[======]**************************|*****G************

3) Path leading from sidewalk to the front of the house
G: Gravestone / [M]: Mausoleum / S: Statue
#: Path / |: Graveyard wall

The taxi slows to a stop outside your destination.

"Criminal element? Not at all, this is a peaceful town, just the occasional drunkards - ah actually there were some burglaries a few years ago but that was all, can't remember much about that. As far as I know the police looked into the disappearance but didn't find anything - best to ask them I would say. Well this the Kimball house. That's a dollar-fifty please". Willard cuts the engine off so you can unload.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:15 am
by jp1885

"I hope we get reimbursed for this," Harrison remarks to John.

He sighs wearily as he produces the requisite money and pays the driver.

"Here you go. Say, is that the municipal graveyard over there or some kind of family plot?"

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:01 am
by Leonulf
Time: 13:44 PM

Willard looks over to the graveyard in the near distance "It's run by the town, but it is mainly organised into family plots. It might seem small by city standards, but Arnoldsberg is not a large town and most of the families here have lived here for a number of generations so it's served us well."

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:55 pm
by HoneyDog
John reaches into his wallet for the fare.

“Say, thanks for the info. Do you have a card? Maybe you can drive us if we need it. I’d like to put the business your way.”

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:20 pm
by jp1885

"Yes, thanks - I'm sure we'll call upon your services again."

Harrison smiles, then turns to John.

"Shall we knock?"

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:51 am
by HoneyDog
John shrugs. "I don't see how else we'll gain entrance" he says.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:04 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 13:45 PM

Willard hands Harrison his card and nods you both goodbye.

While you debate knocking the door, the door opens and a young smartly dressed man speaks "Good day, I thought I had heard an automobile outside. I presume your the help sent by Mr - sorry Professor Wagner? Please do come in.". He stands to the side and sways his arm to motion you in, you can see into a hallway with what appears to be fairly dated decour.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:01 pm
by jp1885

Harrison fixes the fellow with a bright smile, whilst simultaneously casting a collector's eye over the hallway.

"Mr. Kimball I presume? Harrison Holst at your service."

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
John removes his hat and holds out his hand.

"John Wessells" he announces.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:54 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 13:46 PM

Thomas Kimball takes John's hand "Pleased to meet you John, Harrison - you presume correct". He motions you to follow him as he releases the handshake and quicly stepping down the hallway to a closed door at the end "Please please, follow me - ah yes I will take you to my Uncle's study, that's where the break in was. You have caught me somewhat on the hop, work has me called away to settle a small matter. I have a few minutes if you need to discuss anything in particular, financials should have been agreed with the Professor, whom I understand was to brief you on your task."

He opens the door revealing piles of books in the room, but not in complete disarray - there is a large collection of books here and lack of enough shelving appears to be the culprit.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:19 pm
by jp1885

Once again Harrison casts an avaricious eye over the room, mentally valuing the books.

"So your uncle's gone missing and his house burgled. I suppose you called the cops - what did they say?"

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:42 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 13:47 PM

Thomas Kimball shrugs "Well my house now I suppose, but yes and no to the local constabulary. They were called when my Uncle vanished but there was no sign of foul play, and no trace of him. On the burglary - no. I wouldn't waste their time with a few missing books, the window over there wasn't even really damaged. I think they would be annoyed if I bothered them with such folly, but its a personal matter - I live here, and these books belonged to my Uncle not some wretch climbing through windows in the night... also you may have better luck, or more effort lets says. Missing persons is not much a priority law wise."

A cursory view does not highlight any books that stand out in terms of value.
OOC,You can roll appraise if you want to try and find out any more detail/specifics.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:43 pm
by jp1885

"I guess finding your uncle is more important than finding his books though, right? Did he keep any letters or journals from around the time he disappeared?"

Harrison thinks it strange that the burglary wasn't reported, but although suspicious, he keeps his own counsel. Instead he opts to snoop around, looking for signs of a break-in whilst surrepticiously eyeing up the book collection.

"Mind if we take a look around?"
Appraise 60% pass,[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden 70% (if allowed) fail,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 am
by Leonulf
Time: 13:49 PM

Thomas Kimball scratches the back of his neck "Yes of course, but personal safety does push my desire on the burglary aspect still. The house has been put in my name but I still want to know what happened - and whether I will need to relinquish this place, well my lawyer said that wouldn't happen but I wouldn't feel right keeping it if he took some kind of unannouched travel or some such. Ah I digress - just a concern at the back of my mind, he did write letters and keep a journal somewhere in here - I don't like to pry among his personal effects really, I think I found them somewhere in the desk - it won't take long to find them. Please take a look around - that's why you are here. I have to beg you leave as I really must return to work - I will be back this evening. Your rooms are upstairs, they both have the doors open so you can identify them, my room is closed. Oh the house key is on the dining room table, and there is some food in the kitchen. Have a good afternoon, I must be on my way". He turns to leave the room and make his way back to work.

Your appraisal is successful although somewhat disappointing in that there is nothing of value in the collection, the collection itself holds value if only in the shear number of books. You can ascertain this is very much a personal collection of a book lover, not of a collector for the sake of collecting. Many of the books are literary classics, and there is a mixture of factual books and fiction - but fiction is the dominant species. Each wall is filled with full bookshelves, there are a number of stacks of books where storage space has run out and the desk is an organised mess of books and paperwork. You get the idea that Douglas was rather obsessed with books.
OOC,You can't immediately spot anything that's hidden. You can push the roll, but you also have plenty of time with Thomas gone to search still as well. I am happy to allow any attempted use of a skill roll btw, if unsuitable it just won't be very useful or be a bizarre failure!

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:51 am
by HoneyDog
“This is all very vague” complains John. “What exactly does he expect us to do?”

Nonetheless, he goes searching for the journal and papers Kimball spoke of.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/749213]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]5[/b]

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:51 am
by jp1885

Harrison shrugs, watching Kimball as he leaves.

"I haven't the faintest idea old chum. If there was anything rare in his collection, it must have been stolen."

Unable to find any useful clues, he leaves John to look for the papers and volunteers to locate the kitchen to rustle up some coffee.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 am
by Leonulf
Time: 13:53 PM
John
You find the Journal quickly within the desk drawer, there is also a rough catalogue of sorts listing Kimball's books. Reading the Journal you notice a rather ominious yet baffling last entry mentioning a desire "to join with my friends below", quickly browsing backwars you notice a brief mention of some tunnels beneath the cemetary that are inhabited by some mysterious creatures that move around at night.

While your reading the journal the window springs open and starts rattling, it looks rather unsecure.
OOC,you can take the "catalogue" to Harrison to indentify the missing books as his appraisal indentified the books currently in the study, alternatively you can roll for library use to try and do this yourself
Harrison
You walk back through the hallway and find your way to the kitchen. Like the hallway the kitchen decor is not particular modern but fairly dated. The larder has a note stuck to it addressed to you both stating "help yourself". Modest barely describes how sparse the kitchen is, the room could house a nice kitchen but it's more of an empty shell. Kimball probably wasn't much of an adept in the kitchen, and it's doubtful his nephew is either. A small gas stove sit next to a window with a kettle sat upon it, and you eye a small wooden chest with two sections on the worktop labeled tea & coffee.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:25 am
by HoneyDog
John glances around at the window, but ignores it for now – perhaps the mystery is solved already.

“Harrison!” he calls out. “Forget the coffee! Get back in here!”

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 pm
by jp1885

Harrison races back to the study.

"What d'you find pal?"

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am
by HoneyDog
John shows Harrison the journal entry。

“Mystery solved. My bet is that is where he went, down into these tunnels, and either doesn’t want to or can’t return. Maybe he got lost. Who the hell can these friends be, though?” he ponders.

“Can you work out which books are missing from this catalogue?”

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 am
by jp1885

Harrison skims through the journal.

"Hey, well spotted. Friends below ground? I dunno - maybe he's into spelunking or something - perhaps these missing books are abut potholing. Let's take a look at that catalogue, I'm sure I can work out what's missing - give me a sec."

He cross-references the catalogue with his own appraisal.

"Hey, could you be a pal and close that window? I don't like draughts."

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Frowning, John moves over to the window to fasten it, not very convinced by Harrison's attempt at an explanation.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:33 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:01 PM

John's attempt to fasten the window is unsuccesful, the window can be pushed shut but the latch is actually slightly damaged and keeps falling open from being too loose. You notice a lot of dirt around the bottom of the window frame, and can see a massive thorned bush outside the window and the cemetary in the distance.
OOC,cross referencing the catalogue with the appraisal reveals that the three missing books are a selection of omnibus', one for Dickens, one for Shakespere, and the third being a history journal with articles presumable from various authors. Not particularly valuable but certainly a lengthy read.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:52 am
by jp1885

“Hmm... Dickens, Shakespeare and some history journal - hardly a bunch of first editions.”

Harrison looks disappointed as he wanders over to the window.

“Still, we promised to look into this didn’t we? Maybe the burglar got snagged on that thorn bush; shall we take a look?”

If his friend is in agreement, he will pop outside to inspect the bush near the window.
Spot Hidden for the bush 70% pass,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:53 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:11 PM
OOC,I am going to assume your friend agrees and give you the result as your roll succeeded
Looking out the window you realise the bush is rather overgrown and looks rather vicious, some kind of bramble by the looks of it. It extends a few foot across and would tear someone to shreds if they chose to climb over it. Upon going outside to inspect it properly a couple of strange markings catch your attention. There are strange foot prints like some kind of large animal in front of the bush, they are fairly deep and look like impact marks from a landing after a jump or leap. Turning back towards the bush you can also see impact scratches on the window sill, and what appears to be scratches on the sides of the frame as well. You can't see anything caught on the bush itself however.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:09 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'm very sorry, I didn't realise you were waiting for me. I didn't mean to hold things up. I didn't think it was a major decision - just go ahead and do it. If it's not likely to affect the course of the game, you don't need my consent. This game will take months to finish so there's no harm in pushing things along a little when necessary. Again, I apologise!
John looks at the scene with a critical eye.

“Is this window the means by which the burglar gained entrance?” he wonders. “How on earth would he manage it? What the hell could this be?”

The animal marks baffle him.

“I can’t explain this, Harrison. What could it be?”

A thought occurs.

“Maybe there’s a trail.”
OOC,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/753062]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]74[/b]
John looks around but can't see anything.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:41 pm
by jp1885

"Looks to me like an animal of some kind jumped to or from the window, straight over this bush. Do they have mountain lions around here?"

Harrison squats down to take a closer look.
Natural World 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
Track 10%,[dice]1[/dice]
"Of course, it could be an elephant for all I know... Whatever it is, does it have anything to do with our missing books? Unless the animal knocked the window open and some opportunist burglar saw his chance."
OOC:   Can Harrison at least tell which way the clawprints are facing?  

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:28 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:15 PM

You both fail in trying to discern the identity of what left the footprints, you are able to see that they are a similar size to your own footprints, just beastial not shoeprint. You can also see the direction, the prints do go both ways - leading up to the hedge but also following a deep impact print they trail off towards the cemetary but your unable to make out a full trail just the rough direction.

While you are outside you can hear a small dog bark coming from the front of the house and a female voice telling the dog off in a hushed tone "oh quiet you...". You can't see them from where you are however.

OOC,don't worry about it it's no problem :D

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 am
by jp1885

"Hmm..." Harrison studies the prints some more. "Whatever animal it was, it clearly jumped into the house through the window and then jumped back out again. Quite where it went after that is anyone's guess. At any rate, we need to secure the window in case it comes back."

When he hears the woman's voice, he stands up and looks at John.

"A neighbour? Perhaps we'd better introduce ourselves."

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:45 pm
by HoneyDog
Still puzzled by what could have made the footprints, John nods in agreement and follows Harrison.

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:39 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:18 PM

As you move to the front of the house you see the street is largely empty apart from a very smartly dressed elderly lady, who is currently bending down talking to her small poodle. As you approach she looks up at you both.
OOC,Please can you both roll against credit rating and appearance (just do one roll each though please, it counts for both)

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:29 pm
by HoneyDog
John hangs back, hoping that Harrison can do the talking. He knows that he doesn't have much luck with the older generation, who generally despise his modern thinking.
OOC,Credit Rating 60: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754800]Credit Rating[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]79[/b]

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:03 pm
by jp1885
Credit rating and APP (both 50%) fail,[dice]0[/dice]
"Hello ma'am - nice day."

Harrison raises his boater to the woman, and gives his best salesman smile. However she is clearly inured to such flimflam.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 am
by HoneyDog
John decides to attempt anyway.

"Hello Ma'am" he stammers. "We're sorry to bother you, but do you happen to know the owner of this house?"

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:14 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:20 PM

The old lady glares at you both and ignores her dog this time as it start's barking at you both. She speaks quickly with a snarl "I don't have time for this nonsense, everyone knows the Kimball house... damned reporters...". She walks between you both and carries on. She really did not like the look of either of you, and seems to have assumed you were some kind of journalists.

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 am
by jp1885

Watching the woman walk away, Harrison lowers his boater and smiles ruefully.

"Friendly neighbours eh?"

"I don't know about you John old pal, but I don't like the idea of stalking wild animals just yet. Let's get back inside and find something to nail that window shut. We can take a good look around the place before our host gets back this evening. Perhaps there's a book about native fauna we can consult about those prints. Oh, and we can fix ourselves some lunch too - I'm starving!"

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
John watches as the woman strides away.

"I guess the press came sniffing around after old Kimball disappeared" he says. "I wanted to ask her if she knew anything about the cemetery" he continues, indicating said place. "After we eat, I want to pay it a visit. See if there's an attendant of some kind."

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 pm
by jp1885

As much as he finds the idea of mooching around a cemetery unappealing, Harrison nods.

"Well, if you insist ol' pal. We'll poke around the house, grab some lunch and then take a stroll around the graves eh? Hey, maybe tomorrow we could speak to the local press - if they've been asking around, maybe they've can tell us something."

If John agrees, Harrison will take a look around the other rooms of the house, ostensibly to find a hammer, nails and some wood to block the broken window.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:37 am
by HoneyDog
"Sure" says John, his eyes still on the cemetery. "Let's look around."

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:25 PM

You both reenter the house, at the end of the hallway is the study, there are three other doors leading to a kitchen, dining room and also living room.
You also see there is a cupboard under the stairs, a likely storage place for any tools or nails. Through the kitchen doorway a pie wrapped in cloth can be seen on the counter, a note says "meat - help yourself".
OOC,you can go back into the study and roll for library use to specifically look up native fauna as you suggested.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:55 am
by jp1885
Library Use 60% extreme success,[dice]0[/dice]
Having already gone through the catalogue once, Harrison quickly finds a suitable book.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
John notes the pie, and eyes it with relish. But first he checks the cupboard.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:19 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:30 PM

Harrison is able to quickly scan through "The Hunter's Guide To Michigan", an informative tome for those with outdoor pursuits in mind. The section on quarry reveals no suitable match, and neither does the general animal section - fortunately the book is very wide reaching and concise fauna wise, a hunter would not want to waste time hunting something of no interest. It is clear to you that this is not a common animal as you have ruled them all out, but you quickly notice an interesting reference for further reading in the bibliography section. The tracking section also suggests a footprint of the size you found would be from an animal likely weighing somewhere between 160 to 200 lbs. A book called "Hunter's folk tales and mythical beasts" strikes you as potentially helpful, there is not a copy here but the library in town may have it.

John can see an array of canned soups in the cupboard but not much else. It looks like Mr Kimball is not much of a cook and has a taste for tomato soup and scotch broth.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:13 am
by jp1885

Harrison quickly rejoins John and eyes up their food choices.

“Soup or pie eh? I vote for pie, but I’ll abide by your choice.”

“I can’t find any animal that matches those tracks in the books here, so if we have time tomorrow I’d like to go to the local library. Until then, let’s eat and the go visit the cemetery.”

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:00 pm
by HoneyDog
“Why not both?” says John. “Yes, let’s get over to the cemetery. I’ll fix the window when we get back. If you think the library is useful, we can go there tomorrow. But I bet you – the cemetery is where he’s gone.”

He prepares the lunch and they both sit down to eat.
OOC,Let's get over to the cemetery.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:31 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Yep, sounds good to me!

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:45 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:45 PM
The food all tastes rather pleasant and seems to be of good quality.

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:04 am
by jp1885

"Well that was nice." Harrison beams.

"Now let's go see this cemetery eh?"

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 pm
by HoneyDog
"Yes" says John woodenly. "Let's go to the cemetery."
OOC:   Would it be possible to increase the pace of the game at all?  

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:58 pm
by jp1885

Seized by a sudden flush of excitement (maybe it was the pie), Harrison seizes John by the arm, practically dragging him from the house and into the graveyard.

"Let's get searching!" he declares, and immediately begins to mooch around the gravestones.
OOC:   As a rookie keeper myself, I know how hard it is to keep a game moving forward (especially a pbp one), whilst trying to slowly build up the tension and horror, so I'm willing to cut Leonulf some slack.

Unless it is I to whom you refer. In which case, see the above :D  

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:03 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Sorry if my post seemed harsh, it wasn’t intended to be. It was directed at the keeper. I’m fully aware of the difficulties in running games thanks, which is why I know momentum is important if you want to sustain interest. If you’ve been very busy Leonulf, forgive my impatience. I’ve been enjoying the game.  

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:27 am
by jp1885
OOC:   ...and apologies from me for being so condscending HoneyDog :)  

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:55 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:55 PM
After a short walk from the Douglas house you enter the graveyard through a break in the wall, the graves all look very well maintained and there are a number of family mausoleums and tombs in additional to standard grave plots. The graveyard is fairly quiet apart from occasional bird song and a light thud, looking ahead you can see the thud is coming from a spade being dug into the ground by an older gentleman in work clothes, presumably the caretaker. He pauses for a moment and appears a bit unnerven for a second staring at you briefly then he shakes his head slightly and proceeds with his task.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:57 am
by Leonulf
OOC,I will try to keep things going as fast as I can for you. I have a lot going on IRL but will do my best to improve the pace.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sure, I appreciate things get busy. Let us know if you have to postpone things. It's a good game so far, so don't worry on that account.
John looks at the old man with interest. He nudges Harrison with his elbow and then walks up to the man, his hand outstretched.

"Good afternoon, sir" he says kindly. "My name is John Wessells, and this is my companion, Harrison Holst. Would you be able to spare us a little of your time?"

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:47 am
by Leonulf
Time: 14:57 PM

The caretaker turns his head to you slowly while quickly fastening a button to close the front pocket on his work coat in a rather shifty manner, "Melodias Jefferson, caretaker. BUSY caretaker.". His face looks a bit dishevelled with a ruddy complexion and he gives off the appearance of someone rather stressed.
OOC,Please roll for Charm/Persuade - you can both roll.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:19 pm
by jp1885
Charm 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison tips his boater in greeting and smiles his best winning smile.

”I hope you’ll forgive the intrusion - I hate to interrupt your important work, but we’re looking into the recent break-in at the Kimball house. I don’t suppose you’ve seen anything suspicious recently?”

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:18 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 15:00 PM

Melodias looks up with a slightly friendlier expression this time, "It's fine, not really an intrusion I need a breather anyway, digging is hard work. The house - well I can't help with that, I see it everyday but haven't seen anything suspicious over there. I was friendly with Douglas you know, spent a lot of time chatting to the fellow over the years. Kept to himself, but was a pleasure to talk to - he was very well travelled and told me all about the places he had been to, and the books he read - saved me the bother of reading them, not a reader me. Actually miss his company.". After a brief moment of joviality he returns to a more sullen look, and starts staring off into the distance.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:18 pm
by jp1885

"No idea why he went missing then? I heard he said something about 'going underground'."

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am
by Leonulf
Time: 15:02 PM

Melodias looks confused for a moment "Underground? No you must have misunderstood. No idea why he went missing, he seemed quite content to sit over there on his favourite spot and read.". He points off to a grouping of graves and tombs, one tomb in particular has a small low wall sticking out from it, perfect for sitting on. Melodias starts to become a bit agitated, something seems to be bothering him and he starts clutching at his coat pocket while eyeing you suspciously.

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:10 am
by HoneyDog
John wonders as to the source of the man's agitation. Does he know more than he's letting on?

"Mr. Jefferson" he begins, "let me assure you that we only have honorable intentions concerning Mr. Kimball. If something is the matter, perhaps we can be of assistance?"

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:03 am
by jp1885

As John tries to calm the fellow, Harrison watches closely, trying to ascertain just what is bothering the grave digger.
Psychology 30% PASS,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:07 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 15:04 PM

An angry expression forms on Melodias' face "Confounded questions! I am TRYING to WORK here!"

Harrison gets a strong reading of fear from Melodias, it just happens to be manifesting in a burst of anger - it seems the caretaker is getting rather worried. Having put on the charms earlier, Harrison's calm disposition while observing Melodias seems to have settled him down slightly. Melodias turns to John.

"Arghh, this damned place. Look it's getting late I finish in about half an hour, and I suggest you finish whatever business you have here soon, you don't want to hang around here when it gets late. Last time I saw Kimball he was over there where I pointed a moment ago, he always sat there and read. You won't find him there now. Please I really need to finish up my work, when I say we need to be out of here I mean it."
OOC,the psychology success also tells you he is hiding something in his top pocket, please roll to spot hidden - (both of you can try if the first attempt fails).

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 pm
by jp1885
Spot Hidden 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison backs away slightly, not wishing to antagonise the man any further, especially as he's clearly spooked about something.

"Okay friend, we'll leave you be."

He tilts his head, trying to get a glimpse of whatever's in his pocket, but cannot make anything out.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:23 am
by HoneyDog
John also decides to leave him alone. Wondering why the man is rooting around in his jacket, John says “We’re sorry to have taken you away from your work. Thank you for talking to us.”
OOC,Spot Hidden, Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/764488]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]35[/b]
His eyes wander over to the place where Melodius claims to have last seen Kimball.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 am
by jp1885

Harrison follows John's gaze and nods. It's hardly the middle of the night - what harm could there be in tarrying for a while to investigate Kimball's favourite tombstone?

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:54 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 15:10 PM

Melodias' stops fiddling with his coat "Right you are then." He turns around sticks the shovel into the ground before getting a pruning knife from his pocket and tidying a bush near one of the graves.

Looking ahead you can see a small clearing where Melodias had pointed out Kimball's reading spot. The grass has been worn down to a dirt path here, it has been well travelled it seems. The tomb with the low jutting wall is in rather good condition, most of the tombstones around this clearing are older however, and another tomb serving as a family crypt opposite the reading spot appears in far worse condition.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:46 pm
by jp1885

Harrison mooches around, trying to make out the names on the tombstones and the crypt.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:19 am
by HoneyDog
John takes a closer look at the spot where Kimball did his reading, trying to see if anything looks out of place.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:39 am
by Leonulf
Time: 15:18 PM

Your unable to read any names on the tombs, the writing is far too worn or in the case of the crypt opposite the reading spot, just too damaged in general. Everything appears fairly normal at a quick glance, just old and broken. But the dirt does appear well trodden.
OOC,Please roll for spot hidden/track

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:15 am
by jp1885

Harrison inspects the well-trodden ground.
Spot Hidden 70%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 pm
by HoneyDog
John looks at the tomb adjacent to the wall closely.

"I wonder why he chose this tomb to sit by?" he says, loud enough for Harrison to hear. "Is it significant in some way?"

He starts to look it over closely. Could entry be at all possible?
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/766975]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]17[/b]

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 am
by Leonulf
Time: 15:30 PM

Harrison can see footprints on the ground, the same strange beastial footprints that were seen outside of the window back at the house. You still can't identify them but they look incredibly strange and seem to be coming from the older crpyt opposite Kimball's reading spot.

John can see that the tomb where Kimball sat has not been opened for sometime, but could potentially be forced open.

Examing the tracks on the ground further as they lead up to the older crypt Harrison can see that the damage in fact looks deliberate and is concentrated around the entranceway.
OOC,If you wish to attempt to gain access to either tomb you will need to roll strength

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 am
by jp1885

"Huh, looks like whatever animal it was must've gotten in here somehow. I guess we could take a look and see what it is..."

With a somewhat forced grin, Harrison tries to move the entrance to the old crypt.
STR 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
With the strength of someone used to carrying piles of heavy books, he just about manages to inch it open.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:10 pm
by HoneyDog
“Impressive!” says John. “I’ll call you when I need some furniture moved.”

He puts his shoulder to the stone, and manages to wedge it open further so that they can enter.
OOC,Strength 50: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/767471]Strength[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]20[/b]

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 am
by Leonulf
OOC,accidently edited this post somehow instead of writing a new reply , so I have rewritten it as close as I can, sorry for the inconvenience.
Time: 15:36 PM

After Harrison dislodges the stone door to the entrance of the tomb, and a bad stench slowly creeps out. John's attempt is able to finish the job and open the crypt wide open. You are immediately hit by a stench of decay, and as the miasma hits you with full force you both start to lose consciousness.

Time: 23:40 PM

You both awaken groggy to dark clouded over skies. The full stench is now clear, but you can smell a musty damp smell in the air. As your eyes are opening you can make out an incredibly strange beastial figure crouching down by the wall, being low to the ground as you awake you can see what appears to be beastial hooves. This is no man and it seems to be observing you but is not making any move towards you.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 am
by jp1885

Harrison coughs as he eases himself slowly to his feet. As he does so, he notices the figure and more specifically it’s strange feet.

“I must be seeing things,” he mutters.

He extends a hand to John to help his friend up, while keeping a wary eye on the figure.

“Er, hello? We’re staying at the Kimball house.”

He says, by way of explanation.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:52 pm
by HoneyDog
Using Harrison's hand, John pulls himself up. He is still groggy, and stares at the figure before them, wondering if he is dreaming.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:34 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 23:43 PM

The strange figure seemed at first content to ignore you but as soon as the words "Kimball" leave your lips the ghoul-like creature turn's his strangely familiar face towards you for a moment. After a few seconds of staring the creature turns it's head down as it reaches into it's well worn dirty tattered clothes that have seen better days. A book in pristine condition is retrieved and you could almost think the beast was starting to read it!

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:51 pm
by HoneyDog
John takes a few tentative steps towards the figure, trying to get a better look in the gloom.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:47 pm
by jp1885

"What the deuce is that thing?" Harrison wonders. "Some kind of halfbreed or degenerate?" Could it be some derelict gone feral? Could it be old man Kimball himself?"

He watches John taking a step towards the creature and is suddenly worried for his friend. He takes a step forward too, trying to look as non-threatening as possible and hoping to distract the sinister figure.

"Dickens or Shakespeare?" he asks, remembering the missing books.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 am
by Leonulf
Time: 23:45 PM

You both edge closer and the movement of the clouds reveal more of the moon increasing the moonlight. Hearing John's question the figure looks up once more, and with increased visibility you can see why the face was so familiar, it is the face of Douglas Kimball himself. "Dickens" he replies lowering his head once more.
OOC,the realisation that this creature is Kimball is shocking, you both need to roll to check sanity or lose 1d4 sanity, if you fail you also need to let out an involuntary scream

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:25 pm
by jp1885
SAN 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
Potential loss,[dice]1[/dice]
Harrison recoils when he realises that the creature is actually Kimball. However he holds his nerve; revulsion turning into fascination.

"Ah. Your nephew Thomas was wondering what happened to those books. I'm a book dealer myself - Harrison Holst at your service."

Out of habit, he begins to extend his hand in greeting, but quickly thinks better of it and raises his boater instead.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:12 pm
by HoneyDog
SAN,SAN 60: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/768917]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]52[/b]
John’s curiousity overcomes his compulsion to run. He regards Kimball in fascination.

Clearing his throat, he asks,

Mr. Kimball, forgive me for asking, but are you feeling yourself?”

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:09 am
by Leonulf
Time: 23:48 PM

Douglas puts the book down and resumes a much more human like posture as he starts to talk. "Pleased to meet you. A book dealer? Oh I once would have had great use for you. Am I feeling myself? Some may say no, but I would perhaps argue that not only do I indeed feel myself - but more like myself. I admit I feel a little guilty for what my nephew must have gone through with my vanishing - but he has gained my house out of it, and my book collection."

He pauses for a moment looking over at the opened tomb, as if he was watching out for something then turns back to resume the conversation.

"Our time, well your time is short. My friends below are far more base than I, and as such are very unpredictable. So I will make this as quick as I can, then you must make haste out of here - for your own safety. I have always kept myself fairly distant from too much company, but in recent years I found myself increasingly disinterested in human contact. I spent more and more time here reading, and one day I had taken candles with me so I could stay out here in the moonlight - I have no need for candles now however." He grins.

"As it approached midnight I observed movement from the tombs and 'my friends below' as I call them first showed themselves to me. Being content with my books I was rather unthreatening with my stillness and over time they came quite content to move around me. I found a peace in their lifestyle, if you can call it a lifestyle - its simply living really. Finding myself accepted amongst these ghouls I eventually braved their tunnels and went down below with them one day. I spent more and more time down below, at peace with myself, but my body did start to slowly change over time. I knew my time above ground would eventually come to an end - so I made one last visit to the house, so I could some of my favourite books. I still become more like them with each passing day - I was not even reading my book properly, I was more staring at it remembering reading. Please tell no one of what you have seen here, for their and our safety. We will not hurt anyone unless threatened and I am at peace here. Tell my nephew I went abroad to travel but perhaps died at sea, he mustn't come looking for me. My friends will be stirring very soon, please take your leave".

Douglas starts moving slightly oddly and seems to be caught staring into darkness.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34 am
by jp1885

Torn between utter shock and morbid curiosity over the man's transformation, Harrison doesn't like the sound of these 'friends'.

"Yes, perhaps we'd better leave...

Gripping John's sleeve, he takes a step backwards.

"Er, nice meeting you Mr. Kimball."

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:30 pm
by HoneyDog
John's mind is reeling from hearing Kimball's account. He doesn't resist when Harrison takes his arm, but turns his head in the direction of Kimball's stare.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:58 pm
by jp1885

As he steps back,Harrison follows John's gaze while he wracks his brains. Having bought and sold many strange books, have any made specific mention of these 'ghouls'?
Occult 25% hard success,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 am
by Leonulf
Time: 23:50 PM

As you start to move away you can hear some strange animal like noises coming from within the tomb. Douglas is still staring at the darkness, but seems to be seeing something you can't quite make out yet.

Harrison can recall a fair amount of information regarding Ghouls from your studies and various readings over the years. The beasts are human-like, but can be very dangerous due to their cannibalistic and animalistic nature. A stench often follows them due to their fondness of graveyards, and they are often covered in grave mould all over their rubbery skin. The hoof like feet as seen on Douglas are common as well. You remember myths of humans become slowly turned into ghouls over time but now it appears this is more than myth. You also gain the realisation that the noise, and darkness that Douglas is staring into is indeed his ghoul friends, and it sounds like there is a large number of them. From what you remember Douglas' cogency is unheard of, you can only assume he is far enough away from being fully transformed that he has some shred of humanity left, but this is unlikely to be the case with his "friends". Your knowledge is telling you to run.
OOC,if either of you are choosing to quickly get away then please roll dexterity. A hard success gets you back to the house, a normal success results in a pulled muscle - but this affects you at destination your still able to run to the house otherwise (1 hp loss), a fail results in you falling over and crashing into a grave stone for 1d4 hp loss and you wont have got away.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:59 am
by jp1885

“Oh my God... John, we gotta get out of here now - c’mon!”
DEX 50% hard pass - phew!,[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the darkness, Harrison weaves through the gravestones, looking back to check that his pal is following.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:04 pm
by HoneyDog
The noise and Harrison’s frantic urging convinces John that it’s time to leave. As he follows his friend through the dark though, he trips and collides painfully with a stone marker.
DEX,DEX 40: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/770269]dex[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]60[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/770270]HP loss[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]3[/b] Now 8 HP

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:25 pm
by jp1885

Seeing John fall, Harrison swiftly doubles back to help his friend.

Mindful of the approaching ghouls, he shouts out:

Mr. Kimball! How’s about keeping your pals at bay for us? I’ll happily drop you off Lord Dunsany or somesuch! Maybe a Poe!”

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:10 am
by Leonulf
Time: 23:51 PM

John gets back to his feet thanks to Harrison's help. You can both see rather beastial shadows moving around near Kimball, the ghouls have disembarked from their tunnels. The moonlight shines through a cloud to light up the face of a vicious deranged face that has sharply turned to look at you, and it seems to be gathering the attention of its friend.

Kimball suddenly looks up at the mention of "Poe" and seems to regain some cogency - he moves slightly to block one of the ghouls and tries to gesture them over to another spot. For now your play seems to have worked and you should have enough time to make it back to the house.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 am
by jp1885

Harrison takes full advantage of the opportunity and, supporting his pal, hurriedly heads back to the house.

“That window definitely needs boarding up!” he says with forced levity.
OOC:   Did we find a Poe when we catalogued the book collection?  

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:21 pm
by HoneyDog
First Aid,First Aid 30: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/770723]First Aid[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]29[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/770724]HP gain[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]1[/b]Now 9 HP
John sinks into a chair and checks his injury. He is bleeding from a cut on his leg which is painfully swollen, but he manages to apply a bandage.

Harrison, see if you can find any liquor” he asks, his voice tight.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:55 am
by jp1885

“Sure thing pal.”

Harrison makes for the liquor cabinet at his friend’s request before setting about the broken window with whatever he can find.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm
by HoneyDog
John drinks deeply and gratefully from the bottle, before setting it down shakily.

"Where the hell is young Kimball?" he wonders out loud.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:13 am
by Leonulf
Time: 23:58 PM
You make it into the house without further difficulty, albeit in a noisily fashion. As far as you can currently tell you are not being chased or harrassed by the ghouls, hopefully they are occupied elsewhere.

Standing in the doorway behind you, Thomas has appeared - with a frowny look upon his face and paying particular attention to the bottle in your hand.

"Where am I? Where was I you should ask. TRYING to sleep. Do you have any idea what time it is making all this noise, and the liquor! Gentlemen partake in the afternoon, this is not the afternoon! Why are you behaving like some vagrant - and whats with the blood - what on earth is going on?".

For a moment the blood seemed to excabate young Kimball's temper, but having a moment to think about as the words leave his mouth his expression changes to that of more concern and puzzlement.
OOC,Poe would have been among [b]Kimball[/b]'s collection so you know where a copy is to hand from his study should you want it.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:09 am
by HoneyDog
John looks up at him balefully.

"We found your uncle, Kimball. But he's not who he used to be. We can show you tomorrow night."

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:59 am
by jp1885

Harrison groans inwardly as his friend blurts out that Douglas is alive. Having some knowledge of ghouls (though until tonight assuming it was all myth and legend), he appreciates the dangers of exposing the existance of such creatures to ordinary folk.

"Oh he’ll be long gone by now," he hurriedly interjects with a warning glance at John. "You see Mr. Kimball, your uncle got religion; all that reading in graveyards I guess. We tracked him down to some fundamentalist group, just as they were heading out of town."

"Seems like he's renounced all his worldly goods," he adds, hoping that promise of material advancements will mask such flim-flam. "So the house is officially yours."

"As for the break-in; well on our way back to the house we bumped into a hobo who tried to sell us the very books that were missing from here! Of course when we confronted him he ran for it. We chased him through the graveyard but my buddy here tripped and crashed into a tombstone, hence the blood. If it's of any consolation I don't think he'll be coming back now he knows the house is being guarded."

He wanders over to the bookshelf where he knows the copy of Poe is, idly taking picking it up. Again, hoping that the promise of money will distract their host, he grins.

"Say, if you want some of these books taking off your hands, I can give you a good price."

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:03 pm
by HoneyDog
John rolls his eyes at Harrison's ridiculous tale, but keeps quiet as he takes another drink. After all, he owes Harrison for saving him earlier.

"I'm going to bed" he announces. "I'm exhausted".

He rises painfully to his feet.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:39 am
by Leonulf
Time: 24:00 PM
Thomas yawns.

"Religion? The old fool, I thought he knew better than that - doesn't sound like him at all. I am sure you must be mistaken. Look your not the only one who is exhausted, I need to sleep, we can resume this conversation in the morning. Goodnight.".

He sluggishly mopes off upstairs.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:32 am
by HoneyDog
After Kimball has gone, John turns to Harrison wearily.

"Look, you saved me back there, and believe me, I appreciate it. But if you're going to try and spin these ridiculous yarns to explain what happened to Kimball, I don't want to be part of it. We found out the source of the mystery, we might as well just tell him."

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am
by jp1885

Harrison sighs as he collapses into a chair. He pinches the bridge of his nose, his normal mask of affability slipping a little.

Look old chum, I’ve read a little about those things and trust me, the less he knows about them the better. They’re monsters, pure and simple; lurking underground and feeding off the dead. Old man Kimball has taken up with these fellas and you saw how he was changing. He’s only gonna get more bestial - it’s best just to leave alone.”

He stands up, shoving the copy of Poe into his jacket pocket.

“I need to go deliver payment for our safe return. Get yourself off to bed and I’ll see you in the morning.”

With a curt nod he leaves the room and quietly makes his way to the cemetery wall. Assuming all goes well he drops the book on the other side before hurrying back to the house and finally to bed.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:04 am
by Leonulf
Harrison makes it to the cemetary unharmed, the unmistakable stench of ghouls still lingers and animal noises can be heard rumbling - presumably from tunnels beneath the tombs. Fortunately Kimball seems to have convinced his friends to go back "indoors" for this evening. He will surely be grateful for the book. You head back rather shaken and cold but nevertheless fine.

Time: 7:00 AM

Morning hits and its time to face the music, Thomas was not happy. An aroma of fresh coffee and fried bacon is now filling the house from the kitchen. Surprisingly Thomas is at the helm of this endeavour, despite not seeming the type to be involved in the kitchen. As you make it too the kitchen rather wearily from the night before you are greated by an oddly cheerful sounding Thomas.

"Gentlemen, do sit down. I will be with you shortly, bacon is nice and crispy and I will get on with the eggs. Coffee is in the cafetiere on the side.".

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:52 am
by HoneyDog
John's leg is bruised and swollen from the night before. He limps over to help himself to some coffee.

He clears his throat.

“You didn’t really give us much opportunity to ask you about your uncle yesterday, Mr. Kimball” he begins. “What are your thoughts on the matter?”

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:01 am
by jp1885

Rather tired from last night’s exertions, Harrison comes downstairs slightly late. He arrives at the breakfast table, eagerly anticipating the bacon and savouring the smell of coffee.

Apart from the usual greetings, he keeps his own counsel, having said his piece last night. Instead he helps himself from the coffee jug and sits back to see where the conversation leads.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:17 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 7:03 AM

Thomas starts serving the breakfast to John and Harrison.

A forced smile helps convery a sarcastic tone "My thoughts? Off course its up to me to give the answers on my Uncle, it is not like I am paying anyone to find out.".

The frying pan having been emptied on to your plates has been flung into the sink making a clattering sound. "Well I suppose if I really had to say something it's that you were out late at some house of ill repute, and instead of finding answers you have decided to spin me a tale about some religious group. My Uncle found the Church quite pompous and ridiculous - in fact this has always been an issue of contention in our family. I must say being a more modern man myself I do tend to succumb to my Uncle's view - I just had the tact not to upset a family that had been steeped in tradition. If my mother was alive she would have jumped at joy upon hearing he had left his belongings behind to find God. But I have a more critical mind. I want an explanation of what happened last night - and what is really going on, some evidence would be helpful.".

He looks at John directly for a moment "And your leg - you have clearly hurt yourself.". He sighs and pulls another chair out slumping into it with a rather forlorn look.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:24 pm
by jp1885

Harrison sighs, unable to lie to anyone decent enough to cook breakfast for him.

"Okay you got me. What I said last night was baloney, but you really don't want to know what transpired last night. Would you accept that your uncle is alive and well? He needed a few books, hence the break-in, and took them with him to a place where he's happy. You got a nice house out of the deal; would you leave it at that?"

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:08 am
by HoneyDog
John smiles inwardly at Harrison's admission, glad that he's telling the truth. He suspects though that the younger Kimball will require a more detailed explanation. It's likely that they will be returning to the graveyard that evening.

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:24 am
by Leonulf
Time: 7:06 AM

Thomas looks down at the floor and lets out a sigh as he looks out down the hallway.

"Well your starting to make sense at last - he loved his books so that does sound like my Uncle. I don't understand this evasiveness.".

He turns around and leans over the countertop peering into the sink.

"Ahhh... I guess your right I have got a house out of it. But I am also guessing he has got himself into trouble? How do I know or can be sure that the trouble will not come back to me?".

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:30 am
by HoneyDog
John regards him carefully.

“We’re evasive because, to be frank, what has happened is quite incredible. Your uncle has changed. The best way to prove it to you is to show you as I don't think you'll believe us otherwise. But it’s very dangerous, hence my injury. But I think that will be the end of the matter, if you’ll choose to leave it there.”

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:27 am
by jp1885

Harrison nods, suppressing a shudder at the thought of them exploring the ghoul-haunted tombs at night.

“I strongly advise you to drop the matter Mr. Kimball. Your uncle wasn’t coerced or anything like that and I don’t think you’re in danger. I know this all sounds vague and, frankly, crazy, but it really is for the best. If you’re worried about another break-in, then perhaps you could leave your uncle’s favourite books outside for him to pick up if he wants them and sell the rest.”

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
John swallows a mouthful of food and turns to Harrison.

"Perhaps if we take Mr. Kimball to the scene, it might make events easier to explain. The groundskeeper, that Melodius fellow, he was was warning us away. He must know what... what's going on, to some degree at least. His account might help us in our understanding. Why don't we seek him out after breakfast?"

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:08 pm
by jp1885

“I guess if there’s no other option ol’ chum...” sighs Harrison.

“There’s a book I’d like to find, maybe at the local library, that might help us: Hunter’s Folk Tales and Mythical Beasts. If you’re both really set on this, then perhaps a few hours in town are in order.”

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:09 am
by HoneyDog
"Sure, if it will help us understand what we saw last night" agrees John.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:52 am
by Leonulf
Time: 7:10 AM

Thomas laughs "Melodias? You realise the fool is a drunk... the only reason people turn a blind eye is it's hard to find someone willing to bury the dead around here. Not the most pleasant profession. But if he has something to say I will listen. If your intent on retreiving a book from the library then I will join you and you can put it on my card if neccessary.".

Time: 9:15 AM

After a few more rounds of coffee the three of you make your way to the town library, entering the ornate double doors you are a greeted by a sole librarian somewhere in her late 50s who manages to achieve an authoritive yet cheerful stare.

"Morning young Thomas, I haven't see you for a while. How can I help you gentlemen?"

Thomas answers "Morning Gladys - oh I have been busy with work, we are just looking into some personal research really. Probably best you speak with my acquaintances here - they will tell you what they need.".

Gladys looks over to John and Harrison and squints slightly.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:08 am
by jp1885

Harrison deferentially removes his boater and grins at the librarian.

“Good morning ma’am; I’m looking for a copy of Hunter’s Folk Tales and Mythical Beasts, if your esteemed library holds a copy. Also, do you happen to have a log of which books Douglas Kimball borrowed recently? I’d like to gauge who his favourite authors are.”

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:44 am
by Leonulf
Time: 9:17 AM

Gladys "I don't think I should be giving out information pertaining over customers - even with his nephew here, people might say I lack character if I did such a thing. Let me check the indexing on that book."

The librarian starts frowning and huffs. "Well the index is in a bit of disarray, likely the fault of my assistant, but I am sure studious looking fellows such as yourselves can find it. I know we do have it though, but what you would want with such tall tales and folly I don't know."
OOC,You can try a social skill if you really want to try and get the log, other than that when your ready to search the library please roll your library skill (both of you can try if the first fails).

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:00 pm
by HoneyDog
John begins browsing among the shelves, but his mind is still full of the events from last night. He can barely focus on the titles.
Library Use,Library Use 50: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/773729]Library Use[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]92[/b]

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm
by jp1885
Charm 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Library Use 60%,[dice]1[/dice]
Harrison must be equally tired, for not only does he fail to persuade the librarian to let him take a look at the lending log, but he also fails to fnd the requisite book.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:32 am
by HoneyDog
John rubs his eyes.

"Any luck, Mr. Kimball?" he asks.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 am
by Leonulf
Time: 11:12 AM

The three of you spend far longer than intended than searching for the book before you hear a sigh from Thomas.
"Apparently Gladys' believes this to be a childrens book, it was next to a childrens edition of Hanzel and Gretyl.".

He walks over to you both hand outstretched, "Well you better take it, you know what your looking for - I hope.".

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:37 am
by HoneyDog
John breathes a sigh of relief.

"I thought we'd be here all day" he complains. "Show us what we're up against, Harrison" he continues, indicating the book.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:08 am
by jp1885

“If only this were a fairy tale, eh?”

Harrison takes the book and searches for any references to Ghouls, or at least graveyard dwellers.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:54 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 11:15 AM

Your able to find a section about ghouls in the book, there is a crude but to your recollection an accurate drawing of one. The book describes them as fowl smelling beasts that have violent tendencies, it recommends leaving them alone if you encounter them or brining heavy arms. On the page over, there is also a more detailed drawing of the hoove prints they leave as well as claw marks.

Thomas is starting look impatient "So is there something here you want to show me? What's going on and what has any of this got to do with that fool Melodias?". He takes out a pocket watch to exam the time and expells a huff.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:48 pm
by jp1885

Harrison holds up the book, tapping a finger on the illustration.

"This is what we're dealing with okay? Terrifying, bestial things in the main. My guess is Melodias has seen them too - your uncle certainly has. So I'm going to ask you ne more time - will you let this go?"
Persuade 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
He watches Kimball's expression and sighs.

"Well, it's your funeral..."

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:45 am
by HoneyDog
“It was running from these creatures when I stumbled and fell” says John, looking at Kimball. “They are very real, and very dangerous. But I don’t think you’ll believe us until you see for yourself, which I can’t say I blame you for. I’m willing to accompany you back to the graveyard tonight, suitably armed. Hopefully we will see your Uncle as he seems to appear before the others, and then we leave immediately. Then I will be leaving this town on the first train. If you don’t want to go, I will leave this afternoon. Is it agreeable to you?”

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:11 am
by Leonulf
Time: 11:17 AM

Hearing Harrison attempt to dissuade him Thomas shakes his head "So from some kind of religious group to fairytales about monsters. I am starting to regret hiring you people.".
He looks like hes about to lose his temper but looks down at John's injury while he explains himself.

"Hmmm I still don't like it but that leg of yours is evidence of something I suppose. I don't like where this is headed but it's hard for me to let this go when, pardon the pun John, it seems like your pulling my leg. But something is certainly strange about all this. I want to rule a line under it all - but I do need evidence. Do either of you have any firearms? Or know how to use them? If these things are real, and are dangerous then we had better be prepared. Melodias could corroborate your story as an alternative I suppose but I feel he may be unreliable.".

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:52 am
by jp1885

Harrison sighs heavily, well aware of how crazy his story sounds.

“I have a pistol, but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. If things go south, our best bet is to run.”

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:15 pm
by HoneyDog
“What possible reason would we have for making up a story like this?” John frowns. “I think talking to Melodias might help convince you. In answer to your question, I was in France with the 82nd Division, so I’m quite familiar with firearms. But unless you have any, I’ll have to visit a gunshop. Hopefully the laws are permissive in this state.”

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:36 am
by Leonulf
Time: 11:19 AM
"Well that will do you sound like you can handle yourself, you can't fire within the town itself, I live on the outskirts but if we are sensible it shouldn't be a problem. Also - you can not openly carry around the town either, just down the road from here there is a gun shop, if you want to buy something just don't wave it around in town."

Time: 11:26 AM
Seeing no objections Thomas leads the way out of the library and a short while later you arrive at a small fronted ship with an ornate sign saying "Hannigan's", but there is little to identify it as a gunshop. A small bell rings above the door and a middle aged man looks up from the counter, as he spots Thomas a surprised sound of "Hah" leaves his mouth before adjusting his glasses and standing up straight. The walls are full of racks with rifles, and his glass counter contains numerous hand guns. Over his head he has a collection of antique flintlock pistols.

"A fine morning to you Gentlemen, did not expect to ever see the younger Kimball walk through these doors. Chasing some rabbits are ye? Haha. Well however can I help you then?" despite a gruff appearance Hannigan is a very jolly fellow and a beaming grin is now directly aimed at you all.

OOC,I thought you would just want to move on to the gun shop so didn't wait for a reply to Thomas. This is an entirely typical gunshop, any normal 1920s firearms are available here, you can try a hard luck roll if you want something rare which he may have in his private collection, or a normal success history roll will allow you to convince him to part ways with the flint locks should they take your fancy

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:00 pm
by HoneyDog
"Hello Sir" says John. "I'd like a Colt 1911 if you have one. A box of ammo and a couple of spare clips. A cleaning kit too."

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:34 pm
by jp1885

Harrison smiles ruefully and pats his pocket.

"Ah, I'll pass if it's all the same. I already have a trusty pea-shooter but I don't intend to go hunting with it any time soon. Like I said to you fellas: if things go south I intend to run like all get out."

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:31 am
by Leonulf
Time: 11:28 AM
Hannigan's grin widens "Of course sir, the colt includes a box of ammo at $40, I can throw in the spare clips and cleaning kit to make it $45 - you won't find a better price!"

Thomas looks at Harrison [/b] "After your friend finishes this exchange, I take it we are headed to Melodias first?"

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:20 am
by jp1885

“Sure; if anyone else has experience of these creatures, it’ll be him.”

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:46 pm
by HoneyDog
John completes his purchase.

"Shall we go?"

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 am
by Leonulf
Time: 12:37 AM

Having prepared yourself you arrive at the cemetary, this time with Thomas in tow and via the main gates off the street rather than the track from his house. The air is still and quiet and the place seems peaceful as it should, much unlike the events of the previous night. Melodias can be seen ahead rake in hand as he seems to be tidiying up the pathways. Hearing your the footsteps from your group he turns around and looks up, a familiar look of annoyance appears across his face as he lets out a sigh.

"Oh it looks your on just as good terms with him as everyone else then..." Thomas mutters.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:19 pm
by jp1885

"Oh we seem to have the knack..." Harrison shrugs.

He turns to Melodias and smiles awkwardly.

"Thomas here would like to find out... well, what exactly happens here during the night. See, we reckon you know something about that."

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:15 pm
by HoneyDog
"We were here last night, Melodius" John adds, gently, but with a serious tone in his voice. "We saw".

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:22 am
by Leonulf
Time: 12:39 PM

Melodias puts his tools down "You saw? And what do you think you saw, always bothering honest men at work are you?", like last time you saw him he instinctly clutches the outline of an object in his top pocket but quickly checks himself and moves his hand away.

Thomas looking as inpatient as Melodias quickly answers "Pretty sure everyone in town knows your a drunk Melodias. Only reason your still here is because no one else wants the job, and I am starting to guess the nonsense these two have been spouting has something to do with it.".

Melodias slaps his hand on the back of his head and fidgets for a moment before blazely remove a small hip flask from his pocket and taking a swig "Don't judge too harshly lad, if you saw what I saw maybe you would hazard a trip to the bootleggers yourself? So what 'nonsense' have you two been spouting then, out with it?". He looks at John and Harrison with a concerned expression.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:58 am
by HoneyDog
John is getting a little tired of Kimball’s insinuations.

”Listen” John tells him. “I’m here in good faith, and I can walk away at any time. So if you want our help, please refrain from snide comments”.

With that off his chest, he now turns to Melodius .

”We saw the creatures, the ones who come out at night. We had to run from them. Now, they obviously live under this cemetery. Tell us what you know about them.”

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:07 am
by jp1885

Harrison nods emphatically at John’s comments.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:35 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 12:42 PM

Thomaslooks annoyed but keeps quiet.

Melodias puts his tools down "Ah... creatures, beasts or undead I don't know. I know you stay away laddy - stay away. I can only tell you the practicallity of it all which is to stay the damned hell away at night. Some years back there was some bad influenza, more people to bury than usual so I worked late, well into the dark but I took and rest and found myself asleep. By the time I awoke I damn near ruined my trousers, I have only been half convinced of what I saw, it droves me to some habits I ain't proud of but while I stayed away from working that late I have smelled them and heard noise in winter when there is less day light. Just stay away from here at night, they bother nobody during the day and thats fine with me. But listen I want it to stay that way, who knows what these things are or what their intents do be. For the love of god distrub them no further, and we can all live in peace.".

Instead of hiding his habit he allows his hand to contiue fumbling with his pocket until he opens it to take a nip from a small flask. He looks at Thomas for a minute.
"I told your uncle to be careful, he spent too much time over there - that's where I saw them. I am sorry Thomas but these beasts are like wild animals, they must have taken him. There is nothing anybody can do about it, I couldn't tell the police of what I knew either - it would never be beleived, and I would have the blame and be in irons myself.".

Thomas stares ahead at where Melodias had pointed and seems lost in thought for a moment.

Thomas looks back to John and Harrison "But wait you say he was with them, is he harmed, dead, alive or undead - what? I can't believe this it just doesn't make sense. Your telling me that what you said was real - there are ghoulish creatures? But please what of my uncle I need to know?". Despite expressing disbelief he looks less annoyed and more open to the idea now.

Melodias falls back to sit on a tuft of grass "What? Your telling me the man is alive?".

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:20 pm
by jp1885

Harrison finds it hard not to be sympathetic with the two men; one bewildered and one frightened by things they have no concept of.

“Yes, he’s alive - he has joined these creatures and now lives among them under the tombstones. Now that he’s picked up the books he wanted, you shall never see him again unless you force yourselves into their world; which is a very bad idea by the way. It sounds crazy doesn’t it? You can understand why I made up that foolish story last night.”

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:32 pm
by HoneyDog
John looks from Kimball to Melodius, and back again.

“From what your uncle said, he is with them of his own volition. He seems to find solace in their company, and has no intention to return, if indeed he can. He is becoming one of them. Do you still wish to see, Thomas?”

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 12:45 PM

Thomas shrugs "I don't think I have a choice. Somehow I believe you but dont believe it all at the same time. For closure it is probably something I need to see. Probably best we don't disturb him or any of them though, but if I can get a look with my own eyes that my Uncle is alive then I can leave the matter alone."

Melodias shakes his head in disbelief "Lad - your mad. This is a foolish endeavour - really it is... but that said I can understand how you feel, and I have a feeling if you can't accept it now or while he's still of some semblance of a man then you might choose to be more foolish at a later date when there is no man left but beast. I don't understand what I saw, but I am certain now I am not mad at least so thank you all as you have at least given me closure over this issue.".

Melodias takes the hip flask from his pocket once more but this time empties it in the ground before flinging it under a hedge.
OOC,Sorry for the delay, my wife went into hospital to give birth earlier than expected! This is the last chance/attempt to convince Thomas but his mind his fairly set now, you need a hard success with persuade, charm, psychology or occult depending on how you may wish to convince him to just accept it and leave it be, else catching a look for himself will be the only thing he accepts.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:22 pm
by jp1885

Harrison can't help but smile as Melodias empties his flask, pleased that he's at least helped someone today.

"You don't have to hang around Melodias. If you want to scram, we'll understand."

As for Thomas, Harrison is relieved that he is convinced of the dangers involved.

"Listen, if you're still set on staying despite everything you've heard, then we need to watch from a hidden position with a damn good line of retreat. Oh, and we'll need some more of your uncle's books to leave around the tombs - if we can keep him occupied, perhaps his pals will be too."

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No problem Leo! Regards to you and your wife! Did she have the baby yet? If so, congratulations!
Occult,Occult 40: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/780325]Occult[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]64[/b]
"Yes" John agrees. "The books seem to be the thing which is keeping him here still. Hopefully, like last night, he will come before the others. We have a few minutes, then we need to get the hell out of there. We should bring flashlights and like Harrison says, prepare a clear escape route."

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:01 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 12:47 PM

Melodias laughs "Scram? Not a chance I still have work to get done before it gets dark, but there is also no chance of me hanging around after dark either. Once was enough for me.".

"I have a flashlight at home, but also a set of candle lanterns as well. We aren't far from the house so do we really need much of an escape route - surely you are not suggesting we get too close to them or my Uncle. I know it will be dark but my eyesight isn't that poor."

Melodias looks at Thomas "Won't be much moonlight tonight with the forecast of clouds coming in, shouldn't rain till tomorrow morning though. You have the break in the wall where the track to the house is but I doubt you will see much from there with hedges and tombs so you might end up closer than you think. You could try climbing up the wall for a better viewpoint so the hedges are not in the way but if you have to disappear quick you will have to watch yourself on the way down, otherwise you might need to wait near their tunnels themselves. Problem with that is that without the moonlight you won't see well where they come out - but that's the best shot at viewing them from affar. It's all a bad idea if you ask me but I can't blame Thomas for wanting to see his Uncle.".
OOC,Please roll for Idea. Thank you, yes baby has arrived safe and sound - Thanks!

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:25 pm
by jp1885
INT 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
”Hmm, I think I might have a suggestion...” Harrison says.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 am
by HoneyDog
"I have some ideas too" says John. "We should trace our escape route and commit it to memory. We won't have much time and we'll have to move fast."

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:27 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 12:49 PM

Thomas looks at Harrison and then John "An idea, lets hope its a good one. Well the escape route is pretty straight forward theres two paths out one through the main gate the other through the wall back to the house. Its the uneven ground that could catch us out."

OOC,The success reveals an idea to Harrison - you could set some candle lights/lanterns around the tombs where the tunnels are, allowing you to a better view from afar if you wish to keep your distance and try and avoid a direct confrontation.

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 pm
by jp1885

"My pal's right, especially given the uneven ground; we should know our escape route. It shouldn't be difficult if we keep it short by maintaining our distance. So why don't we put some lamps and candles around the tombs; where we encountered our pals last night. That way we can see them while keeping out of the way."

Harrison grins, as if announcing some great revelation.

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:27 am
by HoneyDog
"That's a good idea, Harrison" says John. "I was thinking along the same lines - lets also place lanterns or lights at strategic points along our escape route, so that we won't stumble or go astray. Shall we survey the route?"

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 am
by jp1885

“Yes; time is of the essence ol’ chum - let’s go.”

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:36 am
by Leonulf
Time: 12:51 PM

Melodias nods "Almost sensible, if you don't mind I will get back to work". He turns away to get on with his ground maintenance.

Time: 14:06 PM
Thomas leads you back to the house to gather lanterns and candles, after some time you finish your task.

Melodias approaches "Look if you light them now they might run out sooner than you want, leave it with me - I will be working here till it starts getting dark and I will light them before I leave, that should give you more time if required. Hopefully I won't regret it. But I need all of you to promise me this - you will look from afar, get your confirmation and then scram".

Thomas nods in agreement "Agreed I can promise I will leave as soon as I see him, thank you Melodias". Thomas looks at Harrison and John.

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:01 am
by jp1885

Harrison nods emphatically.

“You’ll get no argument from me. I’ve already seen those things once; I’ve no wish to hang around longer than necessary.”

When they return to the house, he will go through the library and take out the most well-thumbed books to take with him this evening.

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
"Thank you, Melodius" says John sincerely. "Your help is much appreciated. I believe we're doing the right thing here."

When they return to the Kimball house, he checks and loads his new gun, along with any other weapons available.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:32 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 21:15 PM

The trio finish their preparations at the house and after waiting a while for some light rain to stop, Thomas stands up from the kitchen table "Well the forecast was right about the clouds, could have done without the drizzle. We will have lost the loose candles but plenty were in lanterns so we should be fine. Excuse the paltry supper this evening, I was feeling superstitious all of a sudden and anything too filling or elaborate would have felt too much like a last meal before meeting the hangman. This isn't like me at all, but this will never settle in my mind unless I can witness this... ".

Thomas moves out and opens the door leading out to the back and exits the house into the garden.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:50 pm
by jp1885

Steeling himself for trouble and wearing a thick coat to keep out the damp, Harrison follows Thomas. In one hand he clutches a bag of old man Kimball's most well-thumbed books, whilst the other slips his loaded pistol into his coat pocket.

With one last look behind him to familiarise himself with the escape route, he sighs and steps out into the night.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:01 am
by HoneyDog
John turns up his collar and pulls his hat down over his head. The Colt is a comfortable weight in his pocket, and he is glad of it as he follows the others.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:11 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 21:17 PM

As the three of you walk through the garden and start approaching the graveyard you can see the first lantern through the break in the wall, the air feels thick and almost electric but at the moment there is no sign of that tell-tale stench you remember from before. "Something doesn't feel right " Thomas nervously mutters.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 pm
by jp1885

"Keep your eyes and ears open," Harrison whispers as he strains his own senses to try to make out what's lurking in the graveyard.
Listen 20% extreme success,[dice]0[/dice]
Spot hidden 70% fail,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:52 am
by HoneyDog
Feeling Kimball's nervousness, John takes his arm gently.

"Let's press on a little more" he says.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:33 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 21:19 PM

As the group moves forward, Harrison is able to hear a tearing sound, specifically the sound of pages being ripped out of a book and some heavy breathing.
Reaching the break in the wall there is a disappointing lack of light, some of the lanterns seem to have been disturbed and knocked over with just the one on the ground by you lighting the way. In the distance a weak flicker can be seen coming from the direction of he tombs where Kimball was sighted. Thomas stops for a second "Well this is not looking good, hopefully we won't have to get too close."

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm
by jp1885

Harrison frowns at the sound of the tearing pages. He looks down at the sack of books he's carrying, then up at Thomas.

"I'm not entirely sure you're uncle's gonna be too appreciative of these books any more. We might have to re-think our play if things go south."

He grimaces at John before turning around to look behind them, ensuring that he knows their route of retreat off by heart.

"Let's take things quietly, eh old pal?"
Stealth 20% fail,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:22 am
by HoneyDog
John moves out in front and heads to the sound of the noise. In his pocket, he flicks the safety off the Colt.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:56 am
by Leonulf
Time: 21:20PM

Harrison's attempt to move in silence fails as he snaps a fallen twig, luckily it does not seem to provoke anything untoward. Thomas moves aside as John moves to the front of the group.

Edging closer towards the tomb area you can see shadows moving around the candle lanterns light but can't quite make them out, they are about 80 feet from you now. The light is fairly dim so only one lantern must have remained alight at that spot.

"Damn this darkness, I can barely see anything"
OOC,Both of you please roll spot hidden.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 am
by jp1885
Spot hidden 70% hard pass,[dice]0[/dice]
As Harrison peers into the gloom, something catches his eye.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:10 pm
by HoneyDog
John feels the adrenaline begin to surge as he tries to make out the shapes in the gloom, but it's too dark.

“Stay behind me” he whispers.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/785477]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]36[/b]

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:10 am
by Leonulf
Time: 21:21PM

The trio having paused for a moment try to make out the shadows more clearly. Harrison can discern the outline of two figures, one more human like laying face down on the ground unmoving about half way between them and the tombs, and another more beastial figure moving in an agitated fashion by the tombs themselves, focusing his attention more he can tell its Kimball and hes ripping the books to shreds.

"What's going on" Thomas asks in a hushed voice.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:50 pm
by jp1885

"Ah shoot..." whispers Harrison, directing his companions' attention to the spot where he can see old man Kimball.

"Looks like your uncle's gone completely feral. I'd suggest we cut and run, but dang it, there's someone else there too - maybe Melodias."

He takes a suitable book out of his bag and tests it for weight.

"If I can chuck this to the side, maybe it'll make enough noise to draw uncle ghoulie away, so we can run up and rescue whoever it is. Meanwhile one of us looks out for the other ghouls; ready to start shooting if need be. What d'you think John ol' chum?"

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:48 am
by HoneyDog
"Agreed" says John. "You two help whoever's on the ground. I'll cover you."

The Colt is now in his hand.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:15 am
by jp1885

“Right then, let’s go...”

Moving forward, Harrison hefts the book and throws it as far as he can into the dark of the graveyard. Going for effect rather than accuracy, he prays that it’s landing makes enough noise to distract the ghoul.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:07 am
by Leonulf
"Well my curiosity has been more than satisfied, but we can't leave whoever that is there, your right John." Thomas replies.
OOC,Please roll throw. A normal fail/success is good enough, but an extreme fail will fumble the book just in front of you, an extreme success will get it quite far away

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:28 am
by jp1885
Throw 20% fail,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison throws a weighty book in the general direction of the ghoul, hoping it will draw it away.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 pm
by Leonulf
Time: 21:25PM

The book is launched a bit haphazardly but lands far enough away that when it thuds in to the dirt that Kimball bounds after it snarling.

Thomas steps forwards "Why didn't I just take your damned word for it... we had better be quick - and quiet while he is distracted", Thomas continues moving towards the downed gentleman you presumed to be Melodias.
OOC,If Harrison wants to continue the attempt to rescue the downed body while John covers you with his firearm, please roll strength. Success and you can pick him in a firemans carry, if you fail your going to have to drag him with Thomas' help but this is going to make noise so make a luck roll to determine how much noise you do make.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:13 pm
by jp1885

Now he realises...” mutters Harrison as he runs forward after Thomas.
Strength 60 fail,[dice]0[/dice]
Luck 40 pass,[dice]1[/dice]
Unfortunately he’s unable to lift the prone figure, and so, trusting his luck, he motions Thomas to help him drag the person out of harm’s way.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:20 am
by Leonulf
Time: 21:28PM

Thomas grabs under the right shoulder and help and strains a whisper outHarrison drag the body "Well it looks like its Melodias all right, I think I can hear breathing", as the two of you drag the body it makes a scraping sound in the dirt but fortunately this does not appear to disturb the Kimball ghoul. As they move past John he speaks quietly again "Keep watching our back, I hate to say this but if my Uncle comes near us, shoot.".

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:03 am
by jp1885

"Let's get him back to the house and lock the doors behind us," whispers Harrison as he helps drag Melodius.

"Keep us covered John ol' chum and follow us inside."

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
"Go" John whispers, intent on the figure before them. As Harrison and Kimball retreat with their burden, he follows behind, keeping a close eye for any pursuers.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:52 am
by Leonulf
Time: 21:35PM

Thomas locks the door behind you all as you finish dragging Melodias through into the house. A heavy dark looking bruise is forming around Melodias's right eye and cheek bone with deep scratch marks running diagnonally accross his face. "Poor bastard, I think he's alright but that will surely leave a scar. ".

Just as Thomas finishes speaking, Melodias regains conciousness "Aggh, well nobody has ever accused poor Melodias of being pretty now have they? Or clever for that matter, just wanted to see him one last time now I knew he was there - but it was too late that ain't your Uncle no more."

"I am truely sorry, I risked everybodies life here - I should have just believed you two and left things alone, but it just didn't seem possible. I won't step foot near that place again. ".

Thomas walks over to a chair and slumps down. "Well its over now, thank you. Really thank you. Sterling job I will contact Wagner in the morning and let him know you solved my break in and the disappearance of my Uncle. The deal was for expenses plus $10 but here is $20 extra each.".

Two days later

Rested up and relieved the ordeal is over the two of you step out of a taxi and through the train station to the platform. Shortly after arriving you hear a voice behind you.

Ah hello again Gentlemen, I am afraid you on the wrong platform, turning around you both see Professor Wagner standing behind you with a very serious expression on his face. It isn't time to go home yet im afraid, Thomas tells me you did well and save another man's life. I believe it's time to be formally inducted into our little society over at the University, you have certainly earned your place there.