IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

It''s 1922, books have gone missing from the Kimball house. Stranger still in the year prior, Douglas Kimball the owner of the house had also gone missing. Thomas Kimball, the nephew of Douglas Kimball, now resides in the Kimball house and requests your assistance.

Moderator: Leonulf

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: IC - Arnoldsburg, Michigan

Post by jp1885 »

"I hope we get reimbursed for this," Harrison remarks to John.

He sighs wearily as he produces the requisite money and pays the driver.

"Here you go. Say, is that the municipal graveyard over there or some kind of family plot?"
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:44 PM

Willard looks over to the graveyard in the near distance "It's run by the town, but it is mainly organised into family plots. It might seem small by city standards, but Arnoldsberg is not a large town and most of the families here have lived here for a number of generations so it's served us well."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

John reaches into his wallet for the fare.

“Say, thanks for the info. Do you have a card? Maybe you can drive us if we need it. I’d like to put the business your way.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Yes, thanks - I'm sure we'll call upon your services again."

Harrison smiles, then turns to John.

"Shall we knock?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John shrugs. "I don't see how else we'll gain entrance" he says.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:45 PM

Willard hands Harrison his card and nods you both goodbye.

While you debate knocking the door, the door opens and a young smartly dressed man speaks "Good day, I thought I had heard an automobile outside. I presume your the help sent by Mr - sorry Professor Wagner? Please do come in.". He stands to the side and sways his arm to motion you in, you can see into a hallway with what appears to be fairly dated decour.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison fixes the fellow with a bright smile, whilst simultaneously casting a collector's eye over the hallway.

"Mr. Kimball I presume? Harrison Holst at your service."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John removes his hat and holds out his hand.

"John Wessells" he announces.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:46 PM

Thomas Kimball takes John's hand "Pleased to meet you John, Harrison - you presume correct". He motions you to follow him as he releases the handshake and quicly stepping down the hallway to a closed door at the end "Please please, follow me - ah yes I will take you to my Uncle's study, that's where the break in was. You have caught me somewhat on the hop, work has me called away to settle a small matter. I have a few minutes if you need to discuss anything in particular, financials should have been agreed with the Professor, whom I understand was to brief you on your task."

He opens the door revealing piles of books in the room, but not in complete disarray - there is a large collection of books here and lack of enough shelving appears to be the culprit.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Once again Harrison casts an avaricious eye over the room, mentally valuing the books.

"So your uncle's gone missing and his house burgled. I suppose you called the cops - what did they say?"
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:47 PM

Thomas Kimball shrugs "Well my house now I suppose, but yes and no to the local constabulary. They were called when my Uncle vanished but there was no sign of foul play, and no trace of him. On the burglary - no. I wouldn't waste their time with a few missing books, the window over there wasn't even really damaged. I think they would be annoyed if I bothered them with such folly, but its a personal matter - I live here, and these books belonged to my Uncle not some wretch climbing through windows in the night... also you may have better luck, or more effort lets says. Missing persons is not much a priority law wise."

A cursory view does not highlight any books that stand out in terms of value.
OOC,You can roll appraise if you want to try and find out any more detail/specifics.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"I guess finding your uncle is more important than finding his books though, right? Did he keep any letters or journals from around the time he disappeared?"

Harrison thinks it strange that the burglary wasn't reported, but although suspicious, he keeps his own counsel. Instead he opts to snoop around, looking for signs of a break-in whilst surrepticiously eyeing up the book collection.

"Mind if we take a look around?"
Appraise 60% pass,[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden 70% (if allowed) fail,[dice]1[/dice]
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:49 PM

Thomas Kimball scratches the back of his neck "Yes of course, but personal safety does push my desire on the burglary aspect still. The house has been put in my name but I still want to know what happened - and whether I will need to relinquish this place, well my lawyer said that wouldn't happen but I wouldn't feel right keeping it if he took some kind of unannouched travel or some such. Ah I digress - just a concern at the back of my mind, he did write letters and keep a journal somewhere in here - I don't like to pry among his personal effects really, I think I found them somewhere in the desk - it won't take long to find them. Please take a look around - that's why you are here. I have to beg you leave as I really must return to work - I will be back this evening. Your rooms are upstairs, they both have the doors open so you can identify them, my room is closed. Oh the house key is on the dining room table, and there is some food in the kitchen. Have a good afternoon, I must be on my way". He turns to leave the room and make his way back to work.

Your appraisal is successful although somewhat disappointing in that there is nothing of value in the collection, the collection itself holds value if only in the shear number of books. You can ascertain this is very much a personal collection of a book lover, not of a collector for the sake of collecting. Many of the books are literary classics, and there is a mixture of factual books and fiction - but fiction is the dominant species. Each wall is filled with full bookshelves, there are a number of stacks of books where storage space has run out and the desk is an organised mess of books and paperwork. You get the idea that Douglas was rather obsessed with books.
OOC,You can't immediately spot anything that's hidden. You can push the roll, but you also have plenty of time with Thomas gone to search still as well. I am happy to allow any attempted use of a skill roll btw, if unsuitable it just won't be very useful or be a bizarre failure!
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“This is all very vague” complains John. “What exactly does he expect us to do?”

Nonetheless, he goes searching for the journal and papers Kimball spoke of.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/749213]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]5[/b]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison shrugs, watching Kimball as he leaves.

"I haven't the faintest idea old chum. If there was anything rare in his collection, it must have been stolen."

Unable to find any useful clues, he leaves John to look for the papers and volunteers to locate the kitchen to rustle up some coffee.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Time: 13:53 PM
John
You find the Journal quickly within the desk drawer, there is also a rough catalogue of sorts listing Kimball's books. Reading the Journal you notice a rather ominious yet baffling last entry mentioning a desire "to join with my friends below", quickly browsing backwars you notice a brief mention of some tunnels beneath the cemetary that are inhabited by some mysterious creatures that move around at night.

While your reading the journal the window springs open and starts rattling, it looks rather unsecure.
OOC,you can take the "catalogue" to Harrison to indentify the missing books as his appraisal indentified the books currently in the study, alternatively you can roll for library use to try and do this yourself
Harrison
You walk back through the hallway and find your way to the kitchen. Like the hallway the kitchen decor is not particular modern but fairly dated. The larder has a note stuck to it addressed to you both stating "help yourself". Modest barely describes how sparse the kitchen is, the room could house a nice kitchen but it's more of an empty shell. Kimball probably wasn't much of an adept in the kitchen, and it's doubtful his nephew is either. A small gas stove sit next to a window with a kettle sat upon it, and you eye a small wooden chest with two sections on the worktop labeled tea & coffee.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John glances around at the window, but ignores it for now – perhaps the mystery is solved already.

“Harrison!” he calls out. “Forget the coffee! Get back in here!”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison races back to the study.

"What d'you find pal?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John shows Harrison the journal entry。

“Mystery solved. My bet is that is where he went, down into these tunnels, and either doesn’t want to or can’t return. Maybe he got lost. Who the hell can these friends be, though?” he ponders.

“Can you work out which books are missing from this catalogue?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison skims through the journal.

"Hey, well spotted. Friends below ground? I dunno - maybe he's into spelunking or something - perhaps these missing books are abut potholing. Let's take a look at that catalogue, I'm sure I can work out what's missing - give me a sec."

He cross-references the catalogue with his own appraisal.

"Hey, could you be a pal and close that window? I don't like draughts."

Return to “Paper Chase”