Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

[IC]Prologue 0.3a: Meeting the Yatiria

Post by Raiko »

Lake Titicaca - Near Puno, Peru
10am - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

The following morning, after saying goodbye to the others Amy, Cynthia and Atauchi set off from the hotel with Jackson Elias.

Jackson first visits a small café nearby and chats with some local friends for a few minutes to confirm that Nayra is safe, and to learn exactly where she is in hiding. After that he leads the way to the waterfront and hires the use of a reed boat from a fisherman for the day.

Jackson lays his pack in the boat, then helps the ladies aboard and takes hold of the paddle, "It's about three miles to the Uros island where Nayra is hiding, so this will take a while. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Atauchi, keep your eyes peeled for trouble, and your bow ready - just in case."

The weather is good and there are several other small boats out on the lake at the moment, used by fishermen. There are also dozens of the floating reed islands built by the nomadic Uros. The nearest are only a mile or so from the Puno waterfront and will be passed en-route to the more distant island where Jackson's friend the yatiri is hiding out. It is quite an idyllic setting, and a beautiful morning.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: [IC]Prologue: Meeting the Yatiria

Post by jp1885 »

CON 55%,[dice]0[/dice]
CON 55% bonus,[dice]1[/dice]

Cynthia sits back and relaxes, or as much as she can do considering the reason for them being in the area. She checks her jacket pocket for her pistol and her satchel, slung diagonally across her, for her notebook, flashlight, matches and cigarettes - all of which she has learned to keep with her most of the time.
"So, Jackson, tell us about your friend - how did you meet?"
OOC:   I passed the first roll, so I ignore the bonus?  
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"Nayra is an Aymara lady, she's very old, couldn't tell you how old. I met her when I first came to Puno, few months ago. I was asking around for information about local myths of monsters and cults."

Jackson laughs at a memory, "Quite a few people told me to speak to Nayra, because she was knowledgeable about myths - others warned me to stay away from her, they called her a witch.

There's quite a mix of cultures in Puno, those who are devoutly Catholic and those who cling to more traditional beliefs, Nayra is one of the latter. She told me about the kharisiri and warned me to avoid Luis de Mendoza, but I thought she just believed superstitious nonsense.

And now I worry that by helping me greatly, my friend has put herself in great danger."

OOC:   Yes you use the best result and ignore the worst one.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy relaxes during the boat ride, leaning back and enjoying the trip. Chewing the leaves had done the trick, for she no longer was short of breath. "I hope she'll be all right," she says. "Hopefully, with her knowledge, we can put an end to the danger."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Atauchi nodded an acknowledgement in Jackson's direction when it was suggested that he keep his eyes open. Without question, this was dangerous territory, and should one allow their mind to wander, that individual stood a good chance at becoming something else's meal. The tracker observed the position of the sun in the sky and tested the direction of the breeze, then affixed his gaze upon the shoreline, bow in hand and at the ready.

"Try not lean too far outside boat." he advised the others.
OOC:   Atauchi has the bow, knives, and a supply of food, water (2 steel canteens), and cocoa leaves in his backpack.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Yeah, let's hope she's okay..." Cynthia concurs. Trailing her fingers in the water as they glide along, she idly peers down into the lake whilst taking care not to lean too far out.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Jackson paddles close by one of the reed islands, midway to the destination. The shore is now over a mile away and Puno is two miles behind. There are four huts on the island, and the Uru ladies all wear brightly coloured traditional dresses. There are no men visible, they are all fishing further out on the lake. Some children wave and point and giggle as the boat is paddled past.

With the possible exception of Atauchi the boat's occupants are all obviously outsiders, and the young children are highly amused.

Jackson points to another island perhaps a mile away, "I think that one is our destination. Most of the islands are built right out in the middle of the lake, I'm glad that Nayra chose to stay with friends a little closer to the shore. This is hard work, I wouldn't like to have to paddle ten miles to the middle."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia sits up with interest as the boat nears the islands. Cursing herself for not bringing her notebook, she studies the Uru women and children intently, comparing their bearing and attitude to other indigenous groups she had studied.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

ooc,[ooc]Apologies for the leisurely boat trip, this obviously could have been done in a single post, assuming nothing dramatic happens. I'd rather have both threads get going at the same time, but the others are deciding how to stake out Husiy's location.[/ooc]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It sure is beautiful out here," remarks Amy, admiring the scenery and taking care not to lean too far back.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Ain't it just."
Cynthia continues to watch the locals, occasionally grinning, or poking her tongue out, at the children.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   I'll have an update in this thread later tonight. :)
Sorry for the short delay.  
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

From a kneeling position near the bow, Atauchi alertly scanned the shoreline ahead for any sign of suspicious activity. This community was quite remote, but it was still possible that Larkin's agents could be lying in wait among the sea of locals. They must be on their guard.
Spot Hidden (67%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   OOC: That's a regular success, if it's needed.  
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

18_titicaca.jpg
Lake Titicaca - Near Puno, Peru
11:10am - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

It takes just over an hour to paddle to the island where Nayra is in hiding, around three miles from Puno and over two miles from the shore. Jackson has said that no one on the island, including Nayra will speak English at all. Nayra and most of the Uru can speak good Spanish and a couple might speak Quechua, but Aymara is the primary language of both Nayra and the Uru - Uchumataqu is now only spoken by the older Uru. This island is larger than the one passed earlier, with around a dozen huts and teepees fashioned from reeds on the floating platform. The residents in their colourful clothes watch suspiciously as a boatload of strangers approaches their island.

Then a small elderly lady points and shouts, "¡Hola Jackson!"

"¡Hola! ¡Hola! ¡BienvenidoJackson Elias!" Nayra waves and makes her way to the edge of the reed island to meet the boat, "¿Quiénes son estos invitados que traes a verme?

Dos bellas señoritas y un hombre fuerte y guapo!"
Translated version,"Hello! Hello! Welcome Jackson Elias!" [b]Nayra [/b]waves and makes her way to the edge of the reed island to meet the boat, "Who are these guests that you bring to see me? "Two beautiful young ladies and a strong handsome man!"
The old Aymara lady giggles and pinches Atauchi's biceps approvingly as he steps ashore. Ashore might not actually be the best word for stepping onto the man made island, the thick mats of reeds shift disconcertingly as the investigators step onto the island - it feels like walking on water.

"¡Hola Nayra!" says Jackson as he hugs the little lady, "Estas bellas señoritas se llaman Amy y Cythia, y mi amigo fuerte se llama Atauchi."
Translation,[color=#BF0080]"Hello again Nayra!"[/color] says [b]Jackson [/b]as he hugs the little lady, "[color=#BF0080]These pretty young ladies are called [b]Amy [/b]and [b]Cythia[/b], and my strong friend is called [b]Atauchi[/b]."[/color]
OOC:   Apologies again for butchering the Spanish language!  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Spanish 41%,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia rolls her eyes in mock exasperation at the compliments. Her slight build means that her feet don't sink too deeply into the reed matting as she steps forward to greet Nayra in her best Spanish.
"Hi, it's nice to meet you. I hope our presence here won't cause you any trouble."
OOC,I'll stick to writing dialogue in English, rather than running everything through Google translate!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy doesn't understand the speech apart from the names mentioned, but she curtsies with a smile.
OOC,Other Language: Spanish roll (2% skill) to understand the yatiri: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Atauchi had never set foot upon one of these floating islands before, but he had heard of them before. He seemed somewhat unsure when he took his first few steps, but quickly grew accustomed to the strange footing. The Quechua man was after all gifted with superior agility and thus quite light on his feet. He still carried his bow, but kept the weapon lowered while in the Yatiria's presence.

Having noticed Amy's confusion, Atauchi relayed the conversation as best as he could to her in English. "Uh, she welcome Jackson, and ask who we are." he said, paused, and added, "He reply with our names."

The tracker turned toward the elderly woman and smiled politely, then said in greeting, "Hola. Es un honor conocerte."
OOC:   Spanish to English translation, more or less: "Hello. It's an honor to meet you."  
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Jackson also helps to translate everything that Nayra says, so Amy doesn't miss out on anything that is said.

Nayra introduces the investigators to everybody nearby, the island is home to twelve families of Uru, all of whom make a living by fishing. She leads Jackson and his friends inside the house of one of the families and they are treated to a heaty traditional meal:
I'm not sure whether to ask for a SAN check...<br />...but I'm sure it tastes amazing. :)
I'm not sure whether to ask for a SAN check...
...but I'm sure it tastes amazing. :)
While everyone enjoys the food, Jackson describes your adventures so far to Nayra and shows her the inscribed golden piece from the museum.

Nayra looks at the artefact and shakes her head sadly:

<<This is very bad. I have many things to tell, but first I shall tell you the tale of the ruins.>>

<<This is a very old tale. Older than the history books, and their tales of the Incas. History past from one wise man and wise woman to the next, but never forgotten.>>

<<It was known by the Incas, that Titicaca is the birthplace of humanity. In times past, the god Viracocha rose from the waters, carrying humans with him.
When Viracocha had orchestrated the heavens by positioning the sun, moon, and stars, he commanded the humans to spread across the world.>>

<<But in the times after Viracocha made man, but before the great empire of the Incas, an ancient and evil god fell from the sky and landed in Lake Titicaca. It crawled out and brought hunger with it, devouring all it touched.>>

<<The trickster hero Ekeko told the evil god where the most nutritious food could be found underground, showing it tubers and grubs. Ekeko convinced the god from the sky, tempted by the food, to crawl into an old armadillo burrow. He then placed stones over the burrow, trapping the god below. Ekeko told the people that this was now a
sacred site and had them build a temple over it, binding it in place with “spells worked in gold.” The god from the sky still lives underneath the temple to this day, and those who know of it are wise enough to avoid its tomb.>>

<<But the Spanish, like this Luis de Mendoza, they were not wise - they sought only gold. Now they are kharisiri, the cursed beasts of the ancient evil.>>

OOC:   It takes me too long making translated, so I'm reverting back to writing my own posts in English - before I end up needing to write in Arabic, etc.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy doesn't know what the food is, but she's feeling adventurous and eats it regardless. She does not regret it.

"Was it removing the golden artifact that caused the curse?" asks Amy once she hears the tale, hoping Jackson will translate for her. "Would replacing it break the curse? Is there a danger that the sky god could get loose without it in place?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia wolfs down her food - when you've eaten out of trash cans, a hearty meal of fish and potatoes is not to be sniffed at.
She listens intently to Nayra as much as her conversational Spanish will allow, then filling in the gaps as Jackson translates for Amy.
OOC,May I make a history roll to see if I know anything about these gods? If so...
History 20%,[dice]0[/dice]
With her limited knowledge of South American history, the names of the gods mean nothing to her, so she keeps quiet as Nayra talks in an effort to learn more.

Return to “Prologue and Pre-game threads”