Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

[IC]Prologue 0.1: The Beginning - Lima, March 1921

Post by Raiko »

Prologue - Part 1:
Lima - Peru

After years of decline and hardship, Lima of the 1920s is a city in the process of economic recovery and rapid expansion. The population is currently over 200,000 and growing fast. Sanitation conditions have recently been modernized, and visitors can expect to find all of the amenities of any large Western city.

The city lies on a bay and straddles both banks of the river Rímac. The bay is also home to the neighboring city of Callao, although recent expansion makes it hard to tell where one city ends and the other begins. Between being an international port and its status as capital, Lima sees a lot of international visitors.

Bar Cordano, Lima - Peru
7:00pm Friday 18th March, 1921
Bar Cordano Exterior
Bar Cordano Exterior
Established in 1905 by Italian immigrants and just a few steps away from the train station and the Presidential Palace, the Cordano is a popular haunt for travellers, politicians, bureaucrats, and even presidents.

After a sunny late-summer day, the last hints of twilight are rapidly fading as the investigators each make their way to Lima's famous Bar Cordano. The temperature has fallen to around 70⁰F from 80⁰ earlier in the afternoon, but the humidity has increased into the evening will remain overpowering for most of the night.

This part of Lima is popular with both locals and visitors, the streets are well lit, the pavements bustling and the sound of music and revelry escapes from the door of the bar.
Bar Cordano Doorway
Bar Cordano Doorway
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: [IC]Prologue - Peru, March 1921

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy Lawrence arrives at the Bar Cordano, brimming over with excitement. This expedition is a golden opportunity for her and promises to be the adventure of a lifetime. Though she couldn't wait to get started, she did check into the hotel and put her things away before coming here. There wouldn't be a point to showing up too early anyway. Amy wears a flowing, sleeveless red dress that is light enough to help her endure the sweltering heat. While it is still the tail end of winter back in New York, here in Lima it is late summer, and the tropical location near the equator makes it hotter than it usually gets back home. She sweeps into the bar, taking a look around for someone matching Augustus Larkin's description.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Bar Cordano, Lima - Peru
7:00pm Friday 18th March, 1921

The inside of the Bar Cordano is busy, the restaurant is simply but tastefully furnished, with wood paneling and fixtures and a tiled floor - most of the patron appear to be eating fish dishes, or sitting at the bar drinking. Amy turns a few admiring glances as she steps inside - standing out from the locals with her pale skin and eye-catching red dress. She realises that she doesn't actually know what Augustus Larkin looks like - fortunately it requires no knowledge of Spanish to ask for a man by name, and Amy is quickly directed to a table where three men are seated.

To the left is a black man of average height and build, wearing a tweed suit, and a fedora hat and smoking a pipe, he smiles at Amy as she approaches. Opposite the black man sits a gaunt man with pronounced cheekbones and deep-set, piercing blue eyes. His medium-length brown hair is unkempt with no apparent attempt having been made to style it, and he wears light cotton clothing which is tatty a well worn, but clean. He does little more than glance at Amy, preferring to watch the black man intently. He looks rather angry.

In the middle of the other two, across the table from Amy's direction of approach is a pale, thin white man with greasy blond hair and pale blue eyes, wearing a white linen suit which looks a little too large. He also smiles at Amy and says, "Miss Lawrence I presume? Please take a seat, I'm Augustus Larkin. I trust your journey was agreeable?"

"Allow me to introduce my aide Luis de Mendoza," he indicates the unkempt man, who continues to play Amy little attention; Larkin then indicates the black man to his right, "And Jesse Hughes a folklorist from New York City like yourself - Mr Hughes arrived in town yesterday taking us quite by surprise, and will be joining our expedition."
Three men.PNG
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Professor Larkin," says Amy, beaming as she slides into a seat at the table. "I'm pleased to meet all of you. My journey here was pleasant, yes. A nice cruise from New York via the Panama Canal. I'm just thrilled to be part of this expedition!"
OOC,Psychology roll (60% skill) about the three men: [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) in the bar: [dice]1[/dice] Hard Language(English) roll (70 / 2 = 35% skill) in the bar: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

John Smith rolled up wearing a pale grey shirt and beige overalls as well as a Very Sexy Hat on his head. He had just checked into his hotel room and ran out to meet with the trip organiser. Seeing the four people crowding around the table, he referenced his leaflet, remembering that the best way to make an impression is to smile. He smiled. "Pleasure to meet you all, esteemed sirs and madam. I am named John Smith. If I may humbly extend my greetings to all."
Psychology 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden 25%,[dice]1[/dice]
English 45%,[dice]2[/dice]
Fast Talk 60%,[dice]3[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Marcus had found the whole trip tiring. He wasn't much of a traveler; France in 1917 had largely burned the wanderlust out of him, and he had returned home with a scar just under his left eye and the occasional nightmare as the only souvenirs of his time there. He'd have been perfectly content to live the rest of his life in New York.

But his client wanted to go off on some grand adventure, and Marcus was obligated to come along.He had carried their luggage into the hotel, happy to be out of the oppressive heat. He could already tell he was going to dislike Peru, and as they entered the bar he wiped the sweat once again from his brow.

Following a few steps behind John over to the crowded table, Marcus does not hasten to introduce himself. Far as he could see, he was the hired help here. He gives a curt nod to any who look at him, but won't introduce himself or even speak unless addressed.
Psychology 40%,[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden 50%,[dice]1[/dice]
English 38%,[dice]2[/dice]
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Anderson had just arrived the day before, He wasn't very satisfied with the weather, but at least it wasn't raining. Well, at least it was a true expedition, not just digging some worthless pottery.
He entered the bar and started to look for someone that may be Professor Larkin
VashShotFirst
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by VashShotFirst »

Olivier walks in to the bard wearing a well fitting pant suit and a stylish fedora. It's much to hot and humid for these clothes, but only the most perceptive could notice this on her. Noticing a crowd of non-locals starting to form around a table she assumes this is the group she's looking for and heads their way.

"Hello, I'm looking for Augustus Larkin, this the place?" She states with a matter of fact tone.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Augustus Larkin introduces himself to each investigator as they arrive, he thanks them for making the journey and asks them to take a seat and order some food.

"All of the sea food dishes are excellent, but I recommend the escabeche, which is exquisite."

Larkin is wearing a little too much eau de cologne, it would be almost enough to spoil the meal for someone sat next to him - fortunately the closest seats are already taken. He is also clear quite ill, despite his relative youth, his skin is saggy and he has noticeable bags under his eyes. Rather than being too big, on closer inspection his linen suit is probably oversized due to Larkin losing a lot of weight. His accent is English, rather than American, but the exact region of the accent is difficult to place.

The New Yorker Jesse Hughes shakes each investigator's hand as they take a seat, greeting them with a jovial smile. Luis de Mendoza meanwhile, does not speak at all, he regards each new arrival with a cold gaze, before seeming to turn his barely concealed rage back towards Hughes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, I will try the escabeche," says Amy. She doesn't know what it is, but the spirit of adventure has overtaken her. She greets the new arrivals with a smile, glad to see that she isn't the only woman on the expedition. "Hi, I'm Amy Lawrence."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Enchante, Miss Lawrence, I am John Smith." John said, extending his hand. He tried to place some emphasis on his British accent, since British accents often sounds cultured and posh.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Marcus." The man notes, offering Amy and the others a curt nod. He raises an eyebrow at Larkin's wretched state, but figure it was his business. Though he would be rather annoyed if the man died halfway through their expedition.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy shakes John's hand. "Likewise," she says, and she does appreciate his British accent. "I'm a history student from New York, though I'm also studying archaeology and anthropology. Unless I'm mistaken, you're from Britain, but where in Britain? And what is it you do?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Mallet »

Antoine D'Estaing:

Antoine D'Estaing is under the impression that his arrival is a late one, and he introduces himself to the group:

"Antoine D'Estaing, at your service. I hope I am not too late ?" he asks with an ingratiating smile.
Last edited by Mallet on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Atauchi's journey to Lima had not been an easy one. The tracker had surreptitiously crossed the Peruvian border on foot, then, after several more days of tramping on jungle trails, he managed to stow away on a truck packed full of produce bound for the capital. Eventually he arrived in the city, and after some mild difficulties, successfully navigated the winding streets and alleys until he caught sight of the Hotel Maury. Already slightly delayed, Atauchi decided to bypass the hotel and instead head for the bar to seek out this Larkin fellow to discuss the details of the expedition. After a moment or two, he identified the man whom he believed to be his quarry and quickly closed the distance between them. He then pulled a sheet of paper from the inside pocket of his jacket and thrust it down upon the table before him. To anyone else gathered around, the paper is quite clearly a telegram virtually identical to the one they themselves had received.
Last edited by Zero on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Bar Cordano - Lima, Peru
7:05pm - Friday 18th March, 1921

Larkin returns Antoine's smile and says, "Not at all Professor, please take a seat. I hope your journey from Paris was a pleasant one - you are not the last to arrive, and we are still ordering food anyway."

After staring at the professor as he approached, de Mendoza nods in agreement with Larkin and returns to brooding. Hughes meanwhile smiles broadly and transfers his pipe to his left hand while using his right to shake hands with Antoine, "Pleased to meet you Antoine, I'm Jesse Hughes."

As Antoine takes his seat Atauchi arrives, making his way to the table so abruptly that Luis de Mendoza is half way out of his seat with a murderous look in his eyes, before Larkin puts a calming hand on his companion's shoulder, "Hello Atauch, I'm glad that you could make it, I was worried for a minute that you may have been held up at the border. Please take a seat, we are about to begin."

Atauchi Huaman's arrival, as well as signalling the beginning of the serious discussion about Augustus Larkin's proposed expedition, seems to give de Mendoza another person to subject to his silent hostility. He alternates his attention between Hughes and Atauchi, and also looks angrily in the direction of both Marcus and Anderson from time to time. Other than that he just nods in agreement every time Larkin speaks. So far, he has not uttered a single word himself and he pays no regard to Professor D'Estaing or either of the two ladies at all.

Once the food arrives things become much more pleasant, despite the air of hostility that surrounds de Mendoza; all of the dishes are very well made and tasty - particularly the escabeche that your host recommended. Once everyone has been served, and has made introductions to each other, Larkin begins to talk about his expedition.

"A few months ago, I purchased some interesting artefacts and information from an alpaca farmer near Puno, which lies on the edge of Lake Titicaca."

Larkin reaches inside a bag and places two items on the table: One is a pendant in the form of a man holding two rods or staves, embellished with rectangular shapes. The second is a golden cup carved with geometrical patterns and circles and inlaid with turquoise.

"The farmer told me that his grandfather had recovered the objects from beneath a pyramid high in the mountains. He explained that his grandfather claimed that many more treasures are still in those tunnels, but despite the obvious value of the items, his grandfather never returned to the pyramid due to superstitious fear.

"Although the farmer did not know the exact location of the site, my own research has indicated not only that the pyramid almost certainly does exist, but I have a very good idea of its exact location"

He looks around the table with a smile, "If I am correct, then we can come out of this not only famous for discovering a lost archaeological wonder," Larkin pauses for effect, "but also very rich."
OOC,[ooc]You can all make archaeology rolls regarding Larkin's artefacts, if you like[/ooc]
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Amy shakes John's hand. "Likewise," she says, and she does appreciate his British accent. "I'm a history student from New York, though I'm also studying archaeology and anthropology. Unless I'm mistaken, you're from Britain, but where in Britain? And what is it you do?"
John laughed and proceeded to moved about in a calm and collected manner. "Indeed I am, though my maternal grandmother, bless her heart, was Irish. I came from London, hailing from the Soho district, West-ended through and through. If my estimates are correct, I would be submitting one undergraduate paper for an arts degree by the end of the year, but that’s hardly important nor interesting. Moving on, let’s take a look at these VERY INTERESTING ARTEFACTS."

He tried to pivot focus away from his multiple degrees in the works and turned his attention to the artefacts brought onto the table.
Archaeology 40%,[dice]0[/dice]
VashShotFirst
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by VashShotFirst »

After sitting and throughout the meal Olivier is not impolite but short. She speaks only when asked a question and spends most of her time trying to measure up the others.

Did not have the escabeche, as she generally doesn't trust people shes first meets, but didn't make a scene of it or anything.

At the mention of becoming rich anyone watching could notice she perks up a bit, more interested now.

"What's the deal with this guy?" She motions to Mendoza, asking Larkin "He seems to have some sort of problem. I'd ask him myself, but he doesn't seem to have the time of day form me."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Marcus gets the escabeche, and it indeed quite good. He quietly enjoys it, and contents himself with thinking this trip won't be all bad.

Despite having no skill in archaeology, he briefly looks at the artifacts to see if he recognizes any of them.
Archaeology 1%,[dice]0[/dice]
But predictably, he does not.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Atauchi slipped the telegram back into his pocket as Larkin began to provide the first real details regarding the proposed expedition. The tracker sensed the overt hostility directed at him by de Mendoza. He knew that if he wanted to secure the respect of his host or anyone else for that matter, he couldn't allow himself to be intimidated by Larkin's toady. Atauchi stared coldly at his antagonist and took a stance much larger than his 5'8" frame would normally permit.

When the food arrived, Atauchi picked at whatever was familiar to him, and did not converse with any of his fellow invitees, unless directly addressed. The man had never had food of this kind before. He was far more accustomed to simple military-style trail rations or whatever he himself could harvest from his surroundings when working in the field. All that effort to prepare a meal seemed a waste of time to the man.

Finally, when Larkin revealed the artifacts he had collected, Atauchi gave them only a cursory look. He was here to help guide these people through the potentially treacherous terrain they sought to trek across, not make a study of a bunch of old relics.
Spot Hidden (60%),[dice]0[/dice]
Psychology (10%),[dice]1[/dice]
HARD English Language (15%),[dice]2[/dice]
Archaeology (1%),[dice]3[/dice]

Return to “Prologue and Pre-game threads”