Page 1 of 1

[IC]Prologue 0.6: The Ancient Ruins

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:24 am
by Raiko
The supplies are packed and loaded onto three of Eliza's llamas and the group departs early on Wednesday morning. Atauchi and Jackson leading the way, with Jackson's map having been marked up by Nayra. Husiy brings up the rear leading the animals.

According to the map, it is another sixty miles to the site of the ruins, tough going climbing though a landscape that is a mixture of grassy plains, hills,
valleys, and mountain passes. It is likely to be mid-afternoon on Friday by the time the ruins are reached.

The journey on the first day is enjoyable, hiking through spectacular terrain with views that stretch for miles. At one point the group spot a pair of magnificent Andean Condors circling overhead - a good omen as the birds are strongly associated with the Sun God in local mythology.

It is chilly at night in the highlands, with the temperature dipping below freezing even during late summer. It is fortunate that this little expedition is well equipped. The night passes by safely without incident however.

The Andean Highlands
Midday - Thursday 24th March, 1921

The morning of the second day passes much like the first, with the group making steady progress into the highlands. Then at around noon the peace is shattered by the sound of gunshots, probably from a rifle coming from some distance away, over the next rise. There are seven shots in total, then the quiet returns.

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ancient Ruins

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:27 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Do you fetch Larkin's crate of dynamite?
Or leave it at Eliza's farm?  

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

The first thing Amy does upon hearing the gunshots is to take cover. While the shots came from the other side of the rise, that doesn't mean that there isn't someone else on this side. Then she unslings her shotgun and keeps her eyes and ears open.
OOC,I think we should bring the dynamite with us.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:58 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus enjoys the trip as much as he can, which is not all that much. He's a city boy through and through, and he can't cope with this damn heat. There were some fantastic views, but it hardly made up for the hiking.

He's almost happy when he hears the gunshots the second day. Gathering his own rifle, he begins to move slowly and carefully to the next rise, where he could hopefully see what was going on.
stealth 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Marcus is not one to turn down more explosives either. ;)  

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:44 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez readies his rifle and scans the area.
Spot Hidden 62%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   +1 on dynamite  

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 am
by jp1885

Also a city person, Cynthia doesn't appreciate the joys of the Peruvian countryside as much as she should, muttering under her breath about the intense heat during the day and the crippling cold at night. Nonetheless she has so far managed the trek without incident, despite her frail build.

The presence of the dynamite worries her. No doubt it would come in very useful, but Larkin and the kharisiri obviously planned to use it to blow up the remaining wards.

At the sound of shots, she loads her pistol and heads to Jackson.

"This could be a trap to lure us away. I'll go guard the ward, but we'll also need to guard the dynamite in case someone tries to reclaim it."

Pistol readied, she stands guard over the area where the ward is stored, scanning the area for anyone trying to sneak in to the camp. However she doesn't spot anything suspicious.
Spot Hidden 50,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Yes to the dynamite  

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 am
by kabukiman
Anderson is really excited, finally he will be doing something he likes: discovering ruins and ancient artifacts. He appreciates the landscape for it's beauty but gets bored after a couple of days.
When he heard the gunshots he gets his pistols. Seems the peace and quiet didn't last long.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:01 pm
by Zero
Atauchi stoically moved to the highest point in his immediate area which he could discern and scanned the horizon with his binoculars. The sounds of gunfire could have easily traveled for many miles through this terrain and the man wanted to be certain before he recommended any sort of aggressive or evasive action to the group.
Spot Hidden (67%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Booyah, pass. What does he see? :D  

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:14 pm
by Raiko
The Andean Highlands
12:10pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

"I'll guard the dynamite," says John.

Jackson nods and those who are moving to the brow of the hill.

When they get there they can see a man crouching in the grass on the far side of the hill, about half a mile away. He is holding a rifle and is crouched over another person laying on the floor.

Through his binoculars Atauchi spots two other figures fleeing into the distance - they are probably almost a mile away, double the distance to the gunman and about to disappear over the next rise.

Atauchi cannot make out fine details at this distance, but the man with the rifle looks very upset. The person laying on the ground is covered in blood.

The ground between the brow of the hill and the man with the rifle is very exposed, other than occasional shrubs and a few large rocks there is little in the way of cover.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:46 pm
by Anatomist
Seeing Atauchi peeking over the rim, Dr. Sánchez approaches Atauchi carefully not exposing himself.

What do you see Atauchi ? is it safe?

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy holds her position, waiting until she knows more before she takes any action.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:32 pm
by jp1885

Clutching her pistol, Cynthia cranes her neck to try and see what's happening, but nonetheless remains on guard.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am
by Zero
Atauchi lowered the binoculars momentarily and glanced over in Doctor Sanchez's direction.

"Hay problemas. Veo que dos grupos, un par, tal vez atacantes, están huyendo. La otra pareja tiene uno que parece herido con un hombre armado parado sobre él. Podría ser un compañero. Parece molesto." he said in reply.
OOC:   As Sanchez is a Spanish speaker, I think it's more likely Atauchi would communicate with him in the language they have in common with the greatest skill.  
OOC:   Translation: There's trouble. I see two groups, one pair, maybe attackers, are fleeing. The other pair has one who appears wounded with an armed man standing over him. Could be a companion. He seems upset.  

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 am
by kabukiman
Anderson is in the ground with his pistol to avoid been detected.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 am
by Anatomist
Zero wrote:Atauchi lowered the binoculars momentarily and glanced over in Doctor Sanchez's direction.

"Hay problemas. Veo que dos grupos, un par, tal vez atacantes, están huyendo. La otra pareja tiene uno que parece herido con un hombre armado parado sobre él. Podría ser un compañero. Parece molesto." he said in reply.
<<Let's go and see, when the two 'attackers' are gone>> answers Dr.Sánchez in spanish.

He shoulders his rifle and starts walking towards the couple when the seemingly two attackers are gone over the far rim, if need be he will raise his hand sin the air to not threaten the troubled couple.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:38 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Anyone else walking down with Dr. Sánchez?
Anyone staying concealed at the top of the hill?
John, Cynthia and Husiy are out of sight behind the hill.  

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy, unable to understand Spanish, still doesn't know what's going on beyond the hill, so she stays hidden on this side of it for now.
OOC,Language(Spanish) roll (2% skill) to understand the conversation: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   I think Anderson is lying low at the top of the hill isn't he? Or is it Marcus?  

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:04 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia strains her ears to make out what's being said. She recognises certain words in Spanish, but is too far away to pick up exactly what's being said.

"They're talking in Spanish," she whispers to Amy. "But I can't make out what they're saying."
Listen & Spanish,Listen 50[dice]0[/dice]Language (Spanish) 41[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:22 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus follows with Sanchez , keen to offer some support. He grips his rifle tightly, ready to raise it at a moment's trouble.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 pm
by Raiko
The Andean Highlands
12:15pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

As Nemesio and Marcus begin making their way down the hill towards the pair, the rifleman notices them, screams in panic and fires a badly aimed rifle shot in their direction.

Fortunately, at this range of over seven hundred yards, it would take a miracle or extremely bad luck for the crazed man to actually hit them.

He shouts angrily in Spanish as he fires, <<Be gone kharisiri demons! You will not take my son!>>
OOC,Marcus can hear the word kharisiri regardless of whether he understands anything else the father shouts.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:34 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Since the guy is shouting and I passed my last Spanish roll, I'm assuming Cynthia can hear what he said. If you disagree I'm happy to amend my post.
The shouting and the sound of another shot causes Cynthia to grip her pistol even tighter. She translates for the others at the camp.

"Some guy's shouting something about 'kharisiri demons' not taking their son. Sounds like someone's in trouble."

Wary that this is meant to distract them, she decides to stay where she is rather than investigate, but calls out over the rise to Dr. Sanchez and co.

"Hey! You guys okay?"
OOC,I know calling out isn't the most sensible thing to do, but Cynthia has a big mouth and can't see how tense the situation is :P

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to be careful," Amy says. "What if he mistakes us for the kharisiri?"

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 pm
by Silver Priest
Spanish 04%,[dice]0[/dice]
Marcus can't make out much of what the man is saying, so he looks over to the professor to learn if this is a friend or foe.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:The Andean Highlands
He shouts angrily in Spanish as he fires, <<Be gone kharisiri demons! You will not take my son!>>

'En el nombre del señor,no nos dispares!, venimos en paz y con ayuda!'
<<In our lords name! dont shoot at us!, we come in peace! and with help!>>

Dr.Sánchez raises his hands and continues to walk towards the man while reciting 'Dios te salve, María; llena eres de gracia; el Señor es contigo; bendita Tú eres entre todas las mujeres, y bendito es el fruto de tu vientre, Jesús. Santa María, Madre de Dios, ruega por nosotros pecadores, ahora en la hora de nuestra muerte. Amén.'

<<Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.>>

success Fast Talk (70%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:13 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Please make a Fast Talk roll for Dr. Sánchez, I'll give you a bonus die for proving that you are a Catholic not a demon. :)

If you fail then you can push the roll using fast talk again or persuade or luck (or anything else you think might work).  

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:20 am
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
OOC:   Please make a Fast Talk roll for Dr. Sánchez, I'll give you a bonus die for proving that you are a Catholic not a demon. :)

If you fail then you can push the roll using fast talk again or persuade or luck (or anything else you think might work).  
OOC:   post updated  

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:28 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson will follow with the others.
"Those vampires have arrived here before u? Just convince the guy with the riffle that we are monster hunters. Nowadays it's not far from the true..."

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:50 pm
by jp1885

Below the hill, Cynthia translates as best she can.

"I think Sanchez is saying his Hail Mary's. I guess he's trying to persuade the guy that we're not kharisiri. Very clever."

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:02 pm
by Zero
Atauchi continued to watch the proceedings from his position of concealment. Rather unexpectedly, the frightened man had taken a shot at his companions, but he surmised that it had been accidental. The tracker remained confident in the professor's ability to begin a dialog with the stranger. He knew one thing for certain, others coming out of hiding would only serve to escalate the situation. He gestured to any who appeared to be on the verge of action to hold position.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy remains hidden, waiting until someone signals that it's safe to emerge.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:38 am
by Raiko
The man falls to his knees, dropping the rifle and kneeling tearfully beside his son.

<<Please señors you must help me to save my son!>>
ooc,Sánchez and Marcus (and Anderson perhaps, but Atauchi tried to stop him) are still at least 300 yards away. Everyone else is half a mile away.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:43 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus rushes towards the man and his downed son. Assuming he gets there without trouble, he kneels down and examines the wounded lad.
first aid 50,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:20 am
by jp1885

Impatience begins to get the better of Cynthia, so she takes a step towards the rise. However she stops when she sees Atauchi's warning gesture.

"Atauchi, what's going on?"

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:37 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:The man falls to his knees, dropping the rifle and kneeling tearfully beside his son.

<<Please señors you must help me to save my son!>>
ooc,Sánchez and Marcus (and Anderson perhaps, but Atauchi tried to stop him) are still at least 300 yards away. Everyone else is half a mile away.
Dr.Sánchez hurries up and will try to aid the son of the man at arrival
extreme success First Aid (30%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:58 pm
by Zero
Atauchi slowly rose to his feet when the situation's volatility seemed to diffuse due to the professor's carefully chosen dialogue. The tracker then glanced in Cynthia's direction.

"Seem okay now, but approach with caution. No weapons." he replied as he strapped his bow across his back.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy slings her shotgun across her back and approaches with her hands in plain sight.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:40 am
by Raiko
The boy is teen aged. He has been savaged in a similar way to Trinidad back in Lima. There is a large circular wound in his chest from the kharisiri attack. Unlike Trinidad though he has not had his insides sucked out.

<<They came to speak to us!>> Says his father.

<<But as soon as they got close the woman went for my boy and the man for me. They were kharisiri!>>

<<Luckily I had my rifle handy. I shot the woman, and tried to shoot the man, but they turned and ran. The woman had already bitten Renán!>>

<You must save him! We must get him to my farm!>>

With Marcus' help Dr. Sánchez manages to clean up the injury and stem the bleeding for now. The boy's chest is a mess, but he might survive if you get him indoors.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:15 am
by Zero
Atauchi listened to the farmer recount the tale of their encounter with the kharisiri as he approached the small gathering. He too was sure to keep his hands visible.

"Sí. Me encontré con uno de los demonios en Lima. Sobreviví al encuentro. ¿Tienes transporte rápido?" he said.
OOC:   Translation: Yes. I encountered one of the devils in Lima. I survived the encounter. Do you have fast transport?  

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote: <You must save him! We must get him to my farm!>>[/color]
[ic-think],A too big coincident did Nemesio think for himself.
Just as they approach the pyramid they would have to change plans... and fleeing karishiri? what was all that about?
The karishiri they had confronted had all been perfectly able to tear apart a man and a boy even if they got shot once or twice[/ic-think]

Dr.Sánchez tried to see if the man seemed dubious in any way
Psychology (10%),[dice]0[/dice]
[ic-think],nah this man is definitively telling the truth[/ic-think]

While attending the boy Dr.Sánchez talks to the man.
<<What is your name Señor?, and how distante is your farm?>> <<We are part of a large group, the others are still over that hill over there, is it ok i call them in? On off them might be able to help your son better then we have>>
If the man agrees Dr.Sánchez will call on the group to get closer, and retell the incident.

At some point Dr.Sánchez leans into Atauchi telling him that deviating from the plan to get to the pyramid might be a bad idea... maybe Huisy could take the man and his son to his farm?

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:48 pm
by jp1885

As Amy makes her way up the hill, Cynthia watches with alarm.

"Hey! We shouldn't get split up too much - ever heard of divide and conquer? Get everyone back to the camp, before the kharisiri come back!"

She turns and looks at Jackson imploringly.

"We gotta be careful yeah?"

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy nods, rejoining Cynthia and Jackson.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:26 am
by Zero
In order to appear non-threatening, Atauchi remained at medium distance from the farmer and his son. Besides, the professor and Marcus had already managed to stabilize the boy with uncommon skill. His own efforts were not needed.

"Huisy ha sido leal, no debemos despedirlo. Además, el agricultor puede tener información valiosa sobre los peligros futuros. Deberíamos ayudarlo, luego ver qué puede decirnos." he replied to the doctor when out of earshot.
OOC:   Translation: Huisy has been loyal, we should not send him away. Besides, the farmer may have valuable information on the dangers ahead. We should help him, then see what he can tell us.  

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 am
by Silver Priest
Content to let the others speak with the man, Marcus examines the ground, seeing if there is a set of tracks they can use to track the fleeing kharisiri.
Track 55%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 am
by kabukiman
Anderson will keep his distance so he won't make the man panic.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:49 pm
by Raiko
The man points to the north-east. <<My name is Domingo. My farm is maybe a mile and a half in that direction>>

<<Thank you for stopping to help me. I am deeply ashamed to have shot at you, I thought that you were more of the demons>>

Marcus,[b]Marcus [/b]can clearly make out the tracks of two people who fled from the scene. It shouldn't be too difficult to track them. The tracks head off to the south-south-east - exactly the direction that you were heading to the ruins.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:11 pm
by Anatomist
'Friends' Dr.Sánchez says 'Seems we are forced to make a decision. Help them or persue. Im afraid this boy is infected with the kind of stomach creature that burned my arm,and ever worse i cannot see how to help the boy without risking his life. Im of the opinion we should not stop the pursuit of the kharisiri, we got them on the run!.My Christian hearth say stay, but in our Lords name, these demons must be dealt with now, not later.
A third thing, and almost the thing that bothers me the most... why would the kharisiri flee? they can take a shot or two and still go at you, we have been proven that so far'

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia smiles ruefully as Amy returns.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have shouted orders at you like that. Damn vampires have got me on edge..."

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 pm
by Silver Priest
"They left a path for us. Look, directly to the ruins is my guess. We should probably follow it.

"I don't want us to delay either. Maybe we could send John and one of the girls to get these folks back to the farm, while the rest of us pursue our quarry.
"

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"We've got to do what we can to help the boy," says Amy, "but I don't think we should split up, and I don't want to miss seeing the ruins. I think there's enough time for all of us to go to the farm and then proceed to the ruins from there." She smiles at Cynthia. "It's all right, you were just worried for our safety, and you're right about not dividing our forces."

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:41 am
by jp1885

Cynthia nods, glad that she hasn't upset her friend. If she's within earshot of Marcus, she scowls at his suggestion.

Assuming that the others bring Domingo and Renán back to the camp before deciding what to do next, Cynthia speaks to Domingo in Spanish as fluently as she can manage.

<<Had you met these demons before? This is a silly question, but did the kharisiri kiss either of you?>>

If Renán is conscious, she will whisper the same questions to him.

Suspicious of treachery, she studies the pair carefully when/if they respond.
Psychology 75 - success,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:10 pm
by Raiko
Domingo replies, <<No I have never encountered a kharisiri before, thanks to God. But I have heard tales of them, and it is known that it is dangerous to walk the hills alone or after dark. What else could have attacked my son in such a way?>>

<<What do you mean, kiss? The lady kharisiri, she was sucking my Renán's fat out. Is that what you mean?>>

Domingo wipes a tear from his eye, <<The man kharisiri, he was thin and pale like the tales say, but the lady, I could walk past her in a town and never know that she was a monster>>

<<Please though, I do not want to waste more time. Will you help take my son to the farm?>>

Cynthia can see that Renán is unconscious. There doesn't appear to be anything moving inside him at the moment though.
Cynthia,As far as you can tell Domingo is being truthful.

John looks sulkily at Marcus, "I will do no such thing. I'm happy to escort Cynthia or Amy, but I will be visiting the pyramid as planned.

"What if an ambush is waiting at the farm? Who will protect me if my bodyguard rushes off to the ruins without me."

"If we're going to the farm, we should get moving," says Jackson.

"Any significant delay will prevent us reaching the ruins before nightfall."

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:38 pm
by jp1885
<<We discovered that the kharisiri sometimes kiss people they attack and put something into their stomachs.>>

Cynthia explains to Domingo.

<<My friends found a man in Lima who had something inside him after one of them kissed him.>>

Confident that the man is telling the truth, she turns to the others.

"Part of me thinks this might be a bad idea, but I vote we take these two back to their farm - together."

She won't admit it, but she feels the need to atone for the fact that she briefly considered leaving the baby to it's fate back at the hotel in Puno.
OOC,I assume we've all been told what happened to the truck owner and the thing inside him.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:34 am
by Silver Priest
"You're safer at the farm than you are visiting a pyramid where a literal monster dwells. Sir." Marcus says, but he sighs in defeat.

"Seems you folks all want to make the detour first. Fair enough. I don't want the kid to die if I can help it." I just hope we're not giving them time to prepare.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go to the farm now, then," says Amy. "If we leave right away, we'll still have time to get to the pyramid before dark."

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:26 am
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez re adjusts his backpack and rifle and starts walking towards the farm

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:06 am
by kabukiman
"Last time we had the advantage of having prepared a trap. This time, we may suffer one. We should have followed to the pyramid"-says Anderson not happy with the decision.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:30 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia frowns.

"I hear what you're saying, but we can't leave the kid to die can we?"

Suddenly a thought strikes her.

"Hey, what's at their farm that we haven't got with us here?"

She gestures at the llamas bearing their gear.

"We could set up a comfortable enough camp hidden in the bushes. The kid recuperate here. Meanwhile we could take what we need and head for the ruins while they rest up - a compromise, sorta."

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 pm
by Raiko
"So we leave Domingo and Renán in the camp for now? And pursue the kharisiri to the pyramid?"

Jackson nods and asks the others, "What do the rest of you think? Renán might be safer staying put as long as we don't take too long to return from the pyramid."
OOC,@jp1885, I'm not actually sure why you thought that there was still a camp? I must not have made it clear that you'd been travelling again before noon. But I decided not to correct you when Cynthia first mentioned the camp, and just switched to your vision of the scene. :mrgreen: So a camp there is. :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:19 pm
by jp1885
OOC,You probably made it abundantly clear, but no doubt I got the wrong end of the stick! Apologies if that's the case :)

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:24 pm
by Raiko
OOC,No worries. I'd have corrected you if it bothered me. And Cynthia is a student. My daughter doesn't get up before noon if she can help it. :)

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:24 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
Jackson nods and asks the others, "What do the rest of you think? Renán might be safer staying put as long as we don't take too long to return from the pyramid."
'Let's press on then' says Dr.Sánchez unceremoniously and starts walking to the pyrimd when all are ready.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, if you're sure they'll be all right here," says Amy. "The farm would have actual beds. I'd be concerned about the kharisiri coming back and finding them still here, but they fled toward the pyramid. If they returned, they'd have to go through us."

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:03 am
by Zero
Atauchi had already given his opinion on their present predicament and appeared visibly dismayed that the others appeared ready to be move onward with undue haste. Larkin and de Mendoza were dead. The Quechua man suspected that any remaining kharisiri which laid ahead would act against them based solely on thoughtless instinct. Larkin, or perhaps the demonic spirit which had taken possession of his body had been the driving force behind the change in their behavior. He was no more.

"No expect ambush, but maybe many free roaming kharisiri between us and goal." the tracker commented as he passed a handful of coca leaves to the farmer.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 pm
by jp1885
OOC,It was bothering me, so I've edited my previous post :p

Cynthia shrugs, dismayed that her suggestion of compromise isn't universally agreed upon.

"Well, what do I know huh? I'll go with whatever plan you all think best, but I reckon time is of the essence..."

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:42 pm
by Raiko
OOC,I'm just waiting for you all to decide. Jackson will go along with your decision. It's really just down to whether you want to catch up those two kharisiri before they reach the ruins, as the tracks are definitely heading in that direction. I won't comment on the chances of an ambush.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, that's right, there could be other kharisiri roaming around!" says Amy. "If they stay here, they could be found by some of the others coming from a different direction. We can't in good conscience leave them here to be attacked again. We'd better take them to the farm after all."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:13 am
by kabukiman
"Why don't we bring them with us?"

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:36 am
by jp1885

Cynthia mulls this over.

"Not a bad idea, but the kid would need to regain consciousness first, and we'd have to make sure he isn't infected."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 am
by Raiko
The Andean Highlands
12:30pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

John shakes his head, "I think Renán will die if we take him with us, two days crossing rough terrain will be just too much for him."

Shrugging he says, "Perhaps Marcus is right, and I should stay with him. Me and Husiy could take him to the farm, while the rest of you carry on. I'm probably closer to a doctor than anyone else who'll reach him in time."

"You guys just make sure you don't need any medical attention, and don't forget to come back for me..."

"...erm, if you make it back, I mean..."

He tries to recover with a joke.

"...because my father will be really, really cross if Marcus forgets me and leaves me in the Andes."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm
by Anatomist
'Let's press on then' says Dr.Sánchez unceremoniously and starts walking to the pyramid when all are ready.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm
by jp1885
Cynthia gathers her gear, making sure that the ward is packed securely.

"Yeah, let's go." She turns to John. "Seeya soon pal - you watch yourself, yeah?"

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 pm
by Silver Priest
"Be careful, Sir." Marcus tells John. He's proud of the kid. He'd gone from being meek to a leader in his own right. "And hey, when this is over, I'll buy you a new hat. Even better than that one." He knows his employer quite enjoys them.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Take care," says Amy to John. "We'd better get moving as soon as possible."

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:25 pm
by Zero
Atauchi grumbled a bit about splitting the group up in his native tongue, but finally acquiesced. He gathered his gear and began searching for the tracks which Marcus had previously indicated. Perhaps he could determine the pacing of the kharisiri and whether or not they were headed towards the pyramid themselves.
Track (70%),[dice]1[/dice]
Track (70%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I got an error the first time I rolled, but it doesn't matter. Both attempts passed. :D  

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:42 pm
by Raiko
The Andean Highlands
12:30pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

"Take care everyone," says John as the group split up. "Especially you Cynthia, you're the only person whose life I've ever saved."

With that he departs with Domingo, Husiy and one of the llamas - with Renán's still unconscious body secured over the back of the animal.

The Andean Highlands
4:30pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

Four hours later, the trail of the kharisiri has led the group into a wide windswept valley, which runs more west-to-east than the generally southerly route taken so far. The southern side of the valley rises generally to jagged snow covered peaks, but several miles away to the east, a plateau overlooks the valley, standing between the high peaks and the grassy valley.

Long grass grows here at the bottom of the valley, but the hills to either side are barren.

Jackson Elias points towards the distant plateau, "If Nayra is correct, then that is where we will find the Pyramid of the Fallen God. We'll need to bear left onto the higher ground to approach it from above, unless you all fancy climbing those cliffs."
Roll Spot Hidden - click if successful,Perhaps a half mile ahead you catch glimpses of two people moving through the long grass in the direction of the plateau.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:01 pm
by jp1885
Spot Hidden 50,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia scans the countryside towards the plateau. She points to a point between them and the supposed site of the ruins.

"Hey, look over there; in the long grass about half a mile away - two figures heading towards the plateau! Are they the jerks we've been tracking?"

She squints.

"Yeah, a man and a woman - it's them I'd say!"

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:27 pm
by Raiko
Cynthia,Due to her exceptional Spot Hidden roll, Cynthia can see that the pair are indeed a man and woman.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:16 pm
by Anatomist
extreme Spot Hidden (62%),[dice]0[/dice]
Yeah, man and women, must be them

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:37 pm
by Silver Priest
Spot Hidden 56%,[dice]0[/dice]
"I see people too. Can we run them down before they make it to the temple?'

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:03 am
by Zero
Atauchi raised his binoculars to his eyes and scanned in the direction Cynthia had indicated. He spotted the pair and tried to determine whether they were kharisiri or merely other travelers, as unlikely as that possibly may be.
OOC:   Normal success w/ binoculars.  

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can't see anything with the sun in my eyes," says Amy, "but I'll take your word for it. Let's try to catch up to them."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) at the valley: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:01 am
by kabukiman
Anderson: spot hidden 65%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:06 am
by Raiko
"It's a long way to the plateau yet, we should have time to catch them. Lets go!" Jackson sets off after the pair of travellers.
Atauchi,Atauchi's binoculars give him a bonus die for the Spot Hidden roll, and give a bit more detail for a good roll, as the effective range is less: If he gets a HARD success, he gets the same "man and woman" result as Cynthia's extreme roll, he thinks it's the same pair he saw running from the attack earlier. If he gets an EXTREME success, he sees:[spoiler]That the couple match the description given by Domingo, and they are definitely the pair he spotted earlier.[/spoiler]
EVERYONE,I'll save giving the chase rules another go for a later part of the adventure that includes a published set of chase events. We'll use a more abstracted group roll to see if you catch them together, have to split up, or whatever. Make a CON roll. If you prefer you can roll [i][b]either[/b][/i] Navigate, Survival or Track [i][b]instead[/b][/i] of CON: [list][*]More than half the party need to succeed in order to catch up in time. [*]Extreme successes count double. [*]Fumbles mean you've slowed the group in some roll-specific way and subtract a success.[/list] The above assumes that you all stick together. We'll see how it works out. If the rolls go bad (as if [b]that[/b] will happen to this party) then anyone who rolled a success can chose to leave behind stragglers. Jackson is a gentleman, so he won't leave behind either Amy or Cynthia. ;) Here is Jackson Elias' roll: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 am
by Anatomist
Chasing CON roll,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   failed  
Dr.Sánchez sets off to chase the couple down, but his lose shoelaces makes him tripp and fall behind.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:22 am
by jp1885
CON 55,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia trips over Dr. Sanchez.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 am
by Raiko
OOC,You only slow down the others if you fumble (100 roll, or 96+ if you had less than 50% chance of success). I wasn't looking for a Keystone Cops style chase. Lol :lol: So Dr. Sánchez's roll is good enough to keep up with the majority of the party - like the peloton of a cycle road race, if the average is high enough you'll all catch up, otherwise the fastest trackers will need to break away.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:41 am
by Raiko
Hmm... so far,Well your dice rolls are going as expected. :eek: Only Jackson Elias has succeeded so far (85 con!), so you need at least 3 successes from the rest of the party, or you'll have to split up. And Jackson won't leave Cynthia behind. No fumbles yet though (despite Cynthia trying hard to fumble!)

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm
by Zero
Atauchi was attempting to determine the pace of the figures ahead on the plateau when the others had suddenly quickened their own rate of speed at Jackson's urging. He carefully tucked the binoculars back beneath his overshirt and broke into a run.
OOC:   Cool. I'll roll a bonus die from now on when using his binoculars in these situations.  
Bonus Die,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Using Track over CON (50).  
Track (70%),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Bonus Die result is identical to the original. No change. Track (or CON) were normal successes.  

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 pm
by Silver Priest
Con 80%,[dice]0[/dice]
Marcus takes off in a burst of speed.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy has no problem making excellent time. It must be the coca leaves.
OOC,CON roll (55% stat) pursuing the suspected kharisiri: [dice]0[/dice] Extreme success! 8-)

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:31 am
by kabukiman
Anderson: con 45%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:33 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Can we start playing D&D? At least I will have good rolls...

Anderson is feeling exhausted in this walk. He should have stay at the nice hotel. Or the farm...

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:46 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia pulls up, wheezing and holding her stomach where the stitches are starting to ache. She motions to Jackson.

"Don't let me slow you down... If you think you can get 'em, then go get 'em!"

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Unfortunately, Anderson's roll is a fumble...  
As Jackson turns his head to answer Cynthia, Anderson slows down and Jackson collides with him. The pair end up in a heap.
OOC:   Amy, Atauchi and Marcus can choose to catch up either individually or as a group, but everyone else gets left behind for now.  

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I won't go ahead on my own, but I would go with [b]Atauchi[/b] and [b]Marcus[/b].

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:07 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus keeps going, not wanting to risk letting their quarry escape. He's going to pull out his rifle if he can, because he's not intent on firing a warning shot.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 am
by Anatomist
OOC:   those left behind holds their action until the forward group resolves, right?  

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:54 am
by kabukiman
OOC:Ok!

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:08 pm
by jp1885

Helping Jackson and Anderson up, Cynthia smiles ruefully.

"Well if all else fails we'll go down a bomb as a Vaudeville act."

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:41 am
by Zero
Atauchi followed on Marcus' heels. He didn't draw his bow just yet as there was still a great deal of distance to cover before they reached their quarry, but he would be ready if and when it was needed. There was also a distinct possibility that they were being drawn into a trap.

"Keep eyes open, there could be more." he cautioned.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy hurries along with Marcus and Atauchi, keeping her eyes open as instructed. Her shotgun's range isn't the best, but if Atauchi carries a rifle in addition to his bow, she could use that instead if a shootout starts at long range.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:54 am
by jp1885

Cynthia watches as Marcus, Atauchi and Amy press on ahead before turning to the others.

"They've a better chance of catching those kharisiri without us slowing them down, but we need to be ready too. Let's carefully move forward so that we can help out if necessary. Might be worth getting your weapons ready."

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:42 pm
by Raiko
Marcus, Atauchi and Amy have closed within site of the two kharisiri - the man and woman walking 100 yards in front of them clearly match the descriptions of the attackers given by Domingo.
OOC,You are actually within short range for a rifle shot now, should you wish to kill the kharisiri, soon you'll be in handgun range. They haven't spotted you yet and continue to walk at a brisk pace towards the ruins. As the range gets closer, the concealment of the long grass is waning: if you want to try and approach closer before acting then you'll need to make stealth rolls.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I doubt I can hit them with a shotgun at this range," whispers Amy. "I might with a rifle, but you two are better shots than I am. If I tried to get closer, they'd probably notice me. Maybe I should get behind cover in the grass while you two open up with rifles. If they rush us, I can open fire when they get close enough."

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus nods at Amy's suggestion, and looks to Atauchi to see if he agrees as well.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:44 am
by Zero
Atauchi processed the situation, gave a quick nod in Amy's direction, then glanced in Marcus' direction. Would closing the distance between themselves and their quarry grant them a greater tactical advantage? Of this, the tracker was uncertain. He desired the other man's opinion on the matter.

"What you think? Take shot or try get closer?" he asked the bodyguard in a whisper of his own.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:40 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus responds.

"Take the shot, I say." He looks to Amy. "Try and get into cover and I'll shoot."

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:20 am
by Raiko
OOC,Marcus and Atauchi have time to take careful aim, so can have a bonus die each. Amy can make a stealth roll. Everyone else is about 2-300 yards further back. You'll be able to hear any shouting or shooting, but will need to make spot hidden rolls to see what's going on, due to the long grass. You're within rifle shot range, but it's a trickier shot. It'll take a few rounds to get to the others if they need help.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy gets into cover behind a rock in the middle of the grass, lying on her stomach and resting her shotgun's barrel on the rock's surface as she aims at the kharisiri while she waits for them to get into range. It's not the best hiding spot, but she hopes that even if they can see her, they'll shoot at the people who are actually shooting at them first, though she doesn't want them to be hit either. Even if they do fire at her, the rock should shield her somewhat. "I'm ready," she whispers. "You should fire from behind cover yourselves."
OOC,Stealth roll (20% base skill) hiding in the grass: [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking through the grass: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:57 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus attempts to find cover
Stealth 60,[dice]0[/dice]
Then he picks up his rifle and fires at the woman. Ladies First.
Rifle 65,[dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] Damage [dice]3[/dice] +4 Impale, so do I roll again? [dice]4[/dice] +4 Total of 20 if both rolls count.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 am
by Zero
Atauchi nodded in agreement with Marcus and took position alongside him. The Quechua tracker lowered himself to a single knee, swung the rifle into position and took careful aim at the target selected by the other man.
Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) (41%),[dice]0[/dice]
Bonus Die (1d10),[dice]1[/dice]
Damage (2d6+12),[dice]2[/dice]+12=17 damage
OOC:   Impale is the damage dice plus the maximum damage, in this case 12. The damage bonus is only for a melee attack, I believe.  

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Thanks Zero. I swear one day I'll get it down. :oops:  

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 am
by jp1885
Spot Hidden 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia desperately peers through the long grass as shots ring out ahead of them, but she can't make out what's happening.

"C'mon, they might need our help!"

Drawing her pistol, she makes her way, breathing heavily, towards the advance party.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:56 pm
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez hears the shooting and tries to keep his pace steady and as fast as possible to catch up.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:19 am
by Raiko
A split second apart, both kharisiri are hit with precisely aimed rifle shots and fall to the ground, disappearing from view.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quick," hisses Amy, "let's advance and burn them before they get back up!"
OOC,It's common for rifles to do 2D6+4 damage, and that +4 is not a melee bonus (that would be 1D4 or 1D6). You each should have done 25 damage. Nice shooting! 8-)

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:36 am
by Zero
Atauchi nodded, slung the rifle over his shoulder and withdrew his machete from its sheath as he advanced on the two prone kharisiri. He intended to behead each corpse before setting them ablaze. He would not keep these heads as trophies, however.

"Si, I agree. We need put end them quickly."
OOC:   Fair enough. I didn't actually check the damage for the rifle, I just followed SilverPriest's lead on that one. :P I only verified the rule on impale damage.  

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:56 am
by Silver Priest
"Nice Shooting," Marcus tells Atauchi, impressed. He follows, intending to make sure both their targets are dead and remain so.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy springs to her feet and runs forward with them.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:12 pm
by Zero
Atauchi simply grunted in response to Marcus' comment. That's not to say that he too hadn't been impressed with the marksmanship shown by his companion, but now was not the time for mutual praise. These creatures had to be dispatched with all due haste.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 am
by Raiko
The three investigators find the kharisiri downed where they fell.

They are both laying face down in the grass and appear to be dead, although they likely will not remain that way for much longer.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy hurries to douse the kharisiri in kerosene and light them on fire.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:03 am
by Silver Priest
"See ya in hell, you bastards," Marcus feels the need to add. He watches the two burn with something approaching satisfaction. It's not that he liked to kill, though he had done it before during the war. But these things could hardly even qualify as human. Everyone of them they put down was making the world a better place.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 am
by kabukiman
Anderson advances to see what happened; he helps Amy to burn the creatures.

"I really need to make more physical exercise".

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 am
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez catches up as fast as possible.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 am
by jp1885
As does Cynthia.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 am
by Raiko
By the time the others catch up with Atauchi, Amy and Marcus, the two beheaded kharisiri are both ablaze.

Jackson looks grimly at the two burning corpses, "Well at least that's out of the way. Two that we won't meet at the ruins."
OOC,My next post will have you finally arriving at the ruins, assuming you're pressing on. I'm back at work, and the kiddies are back at school, so should be back to my normal posting rate until the next school break at least!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 am
by Raiko
With only an hour of daylight remaining, the group finally look upon the mythical ancient ruins, which according to Nayra was built to imprison a fallen god - the one the kharisiri call The Father of Maggots. Having clambered up and around the edge of the neighbouring peak, a narrow path ahead of the investigators now leads down, treacherously in places, for the final mile to the ancient site.

The ruins containing the pyramid are located on a plateau overlooking the deep, windblown grassy valley that the group pursued the two kharisiri through. The surrounding land on the valley walls is arid and plant life is sparse.

No plant life grows on the plateau itself. It is barren and dusty, with only the man-made structures breaking up the monotonous brownish-grey of the dirt. Nothing moves amongst the ruins.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's so desolate," says Amy with a shiver. "I wonder if it's because the ward was damaged. Maybe after we repair it, plants will grow here again. We'll have to be careful, in case there's more of them here. I doubt they left the pyramid unguarded."

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:09 am
by Silver Priest
"I'm hoping we've thinned their numbers enough that they won't be a threat," Marcus responds. Despite his bluster though the man is nervous, and he keeps a tight hold of his gun, ready to fire at anything and everything that moves..

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 am
by Zero
Atauchi began to cautiously scout the desolate plateau. The Quechua man suspected that the remaining kharisiri were also here and that they lurked within the ruined structures themselves. As such, he made certain never to walk out of sight of another member of the expedition.
Track (70%),[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden (67%),[dice]1[/dice]
Listen (50%),[dice]2[/dice]
OOC:   Regular success on Track, extreme successes on both Spot Hidden and Listen. :o  

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez sees Atauchi immediately going for a search wich he thinks is a good idea.
Dr.Sánchez will take a better look at the base of the pyramid for an entrance.
success Archaeology 80%,[dice]0[/dice]
failed Spot Hidden 62%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 am
by jp1885

"Real peachy place, huh?"

Cynthia whistles quietly between her teeth as the ruins come more closely into view. The presence of the Kharisiri and the legends they have heard of the evil lurking within the pyramid conflicts with her excitement of finding such a fascinating ancient structure.

Seeing the others carefully looking around, she decides to do the same.
Spot Hidden 50% Fail,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen 50% Fail,[dice]1[/dice]
Archaeology 26% Hard Success,[dice]2[/dice]
With the light fading and her heart still pounding from exertion, she cannot see or hear anything out the ordinary. However, as an amateur archaeologist with knowledge of Ancient South American cultures, there's something about the ruins that rings a bell.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy looks around in fascination, making sure to stay with the group.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) at the ruins: [dice]0[/dice] Listen roll (45% skill) at the ruins: [dice]1[/dice] Archaeology roll (41% skill) at the ruins: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 am
by kabukiman
Spot hidden: 65%
[dice]0[/dice]

Listen: 26%
[dice]1[/dice]

Archaeology: 71%
[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 pm
by Raiko
At the Ancient Ruins
5:30pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

A stone wall surrounds the site; it is difficult now to tell precisely how tall it once was, as it is now partially buried by silt, but the visible portions protrude from the ground at heights of around six to twelve feet. The explorers find that it is relatively easy to climb over the perimeter wall by scrambling up one of the banks of dirt and dropping over to the other side.

Inside the outer wall, an eerie whistling or piping sound can be heard blowing on the wind. Despite the cold, the group notice an increasing number of flies in the air as they draw closer and the smell of rotten meat grows powerful once they are inside the wall.
Make a successful NATURAL WORLD roll,A successful Natural World roll identifies the flies as blowflies, which usually feed on carrion.
Inside the walls, the main structure is an irregularly shaped stepped pyramid with a large, flat top. While only the top five steps of the pyramid rise above the ground, Sánchez judges that the structure is wider underground. The steps of the pyramid are made of rough-hewn stone, worn and cracked with age. Each step rises about five feet above the previous step.

Around the pyramid is a network of crumbling inner walls, many of which have collapsed over time. A number of these walls are decorated with archways, hinting at the remains of other structures. At regular intervals in the walls there are carvings that appear to be crude representations of human heads, but they are thin and elongated, with grotesquely distended mouths.
Anyone who passed their ARCHAEOLOGY roll,They look similar to carvings that you might have seen in photographs taken at Tiwanaku; although they do differ, they are similar enough to have probably been built be the same civilisation.
ATAUCHI,The constant wind blows over and through the distended carved mouths, [b]Atauchi [/b]realises that this is producing the unnerving whistling sound. [b]Atauchi [/b]also notices a shimmering in the air both atop the pyramid, and over a part of the site in the far corner of the complex. Looking through his binoculars he realises that the shimmering is actually caused by clouds of the flies buzzing over those spots. Finally Atauchi notices many sets of fairly recent tracks (say less than a month old) leading back and forth between the pyramid itself and the wall they climb over.
The ground within the walls is uneven, with piles of silt blown into small dunes by the winds. Underneath one of these dunes Cynthia discovers a broken stone slab which partially obscures a vertical shaft dropping down into the ground. The gap is wide enough for a person to easily climb down through.
Cynthia,Peering down through the gap, [b]Cynthia [/b]can see that the shaft is about fifteen feet deep, and there is an exit.
Dr Sánchez notices that there are a number of similar vertical shafts around the site, each topped by an intact flagstone. He doesn't notice any other possible ways inside, although he has yet to try climbing up the pyramid itself.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm
by jp1885
Natural World 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
"That noise gives me the creeps."

Cynthia shivers at the eerie whistling sound and holds her nose when the stink of rotten meat hits her. Wafting away a couple of flies, she inspects the walls and arches.

"Hey, look at these heads on the walls. They look like the ones at Tiwanaku, but those freaky mouths: remind you of anyone? Seems like there have been Kharisiri here long before De Mendoza..."

She continues to poke around and discovers the broken slab.

"Hey, looks like there's shaft here!" Turning on her flashlight, she kneels and peers down the hole. "Looks like it goes down about fifteen feet, but I think it ends in some sort of exit." She stands up, brushing the dirt of her slacks. "Could be a way in to the pyramid. Wasn't there some rope in amongst Larkin's stuff?"
OOC,Slightly edited to link with Zero's post below

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:08 pm
by Zero
Atauchi paused when he noticed some others reacting to the eerie whistling sound emanating from the ruins. The tracker pointed out several of the strangely carved heads. Despite being inanimate, their appearance reminded the Quechua man of the kharisiri's monstrous visage when they were about to feed. He fought to maintain his composure.

"No worry about howling, just the wind." he announced to the group.

He then returned his gaze to the clouds of flies. They were likely drawn here by the acrid scent of death which the haunting wind carried. He peered at them intently through his binoculars.
Natural World (40%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Took some liberty with observing others' reactions before they were posted. Worst case, one of the NPCs will be who Atauchi reacted to.  
OOC:   No go on the Natural World roll. :(  

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:37 pm
by Silver Priest
Natural World 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
Archeology 1%,[dice]1[/dice]
Nothing about the pyramid stands out to Marcus, though perhaps he's just too unsettled by the whole place.

"Of course there cna't be a nice open door. No, we'll have to descend by rope. Typical."

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're right, Cynthia, I recognize the style," says Amy. "That particular shaft must be the one de Mendoza and the others used centuries ago to gain entrance to the pyramid. The place where they broke the ward must be down there, so that's where we'll have to go."
OOC,Natural World roll (10% base skill) at the ruins: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 am
by jp1885

"Yeah, I think you're right. That must be what the rope, block and tackle are for. We should still scout around a little more before we go down though."

Cynthia ponders for a moment.

"Also we should try to lever off some of the other flagstones. Assuming they cover more shafts that gives us extra ways to get in and out if necessary - we don't know how stable it is down there and we wouldn't want to find our single exit blocked if a ceiling collapses."

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 am
by Anatomist
jp1885 wrote: "Also we should try to lever off some of the other flagstones.
'I very much agree on that Cynthia' Dr.Sánchez looks upwards the pyramid 'it might be an entrance on top as well, I will go up on top of the pyramid to investigate in the meanwhile' and with that he starts climbing the 5 feet stones
OOC:   Who has the mask we got from the museum at the moment?  

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:20 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Is there any footprints that may indicate how many vampires have been recently?

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 pm
by jp1885
Anatomist wrote:
OOC:   Who has the mask we got from the museum at the moment?  
OOC:   Not sure - possibly hidden away? Cynthia is happy to look after the ward (being headstrong and reckless) but voted to destroy the mask, so probably doesn't want that too!  

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Well, I'm not carrying the mask. That thing is creepy!

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:39 am
by Zero
After he completed his examination of the immediate area, Atauchi returned to where the majority of the group had gathered around the opening. He ignited his electric torch and peered below.
OOC:   Hah, passed by 1. :D  

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm
by Raiko
At the Ancient Ruins
5:35pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

The rough-hewn stone slabs that make up the steps of the pyramid allow Dr. Sánchez to easily clamber to the top of the structure, hauling himself to the top of the five-foot steps one by one.

The smell of corruption at the top is quite overpowering, and large numbers of the flies buzz around constantly. A long, narrow crack runs diagonally right across the top of the pyramid, up to about three inches wide in places. The swarm of flies buzz in and out of the fracture.
Make a LISTEN check,You can hear the sounds of something bubbling and oozing far below.
Away from the pyramid itself Atauchi shines his torch down into the shaft expaosed by the broken flagstone. The shaft descends vertically for around fifteen feet, to a flat area large enough to stand on. The walls if the shaft look stable - constructed from well fitting stone blocks. Atauchi can see an opening in the shaft wall at the bottom, which looks large enough for a person to get through. It opens into a steeply sloping ramp. From the top of the vertical shaft there is no way for Atauchi to see how much deeper that ramp descends, but certainly a lot deeper than the shaft itself.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 pm
by Zero
Atauchi gestured to the others for momentary silence as he lowered himself to a knee and listened at the shaft opening, then shrugged. For a brief moment the native tracker thought he heard a sound coming from below, but evidently if what he had heard was real, it now ceased.
Listen (50%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:At the Ancient Ruins
5:35pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

The rough-hewn stone slabs that make up the steps of the pyramid allow Dr. Sánchez to easily clamber to the top of the structure, hauling himself to the top of the five-foot steps one by one.

The smell of corruption at the top is quite overpowering, and large numbers of the flies buzz around constantly. A long, narrow crack runs diagonally right across the top of the pyramid, up to about three inches wide in places. The swarm of flies buzz in and out of the fracture.
crit Fail Listen (40%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   oh shit, do Nemesio Sánchez go deaf? :cry:  

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 pm
by jp1885

Leaving Atauchi to investigate the shaft, Cynthia fishes a crowbar from out of the equipment they took from Larkin and sets to work on the nearest slab.
STR check? 35% Success,[dice]0[/dice]
Much to her surprise, the slab begins to move.
Listen 50%,[dice]1[/dice]Cool, extreme success!

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus also keeps an ear out, just in case he hears anything.
Listen 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Seems like Marcus may go deaf along with the good professor!  
Seeing Cynthia get the slab moving, he lets out a whistle. "Well done. Slab must be really weak after all the years down here," he concludes.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done, Cynthia," says Amy, peering down the shaft.
OOC,Listen roll (45% skill) at the ruins: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 pm
by Raiko
The second shaft is, to all intents, identical to the first. It descends about fifteen feet vertically to the base. At the bottom, an opening leads into a steeply descending ramp.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:58 pm
by jp1885

Feeling rather pleased with herself, Cynthia finishes levering the slab to one side. Blushing slightly, she peers into the newly opened shaft, waving away the stale air that comes out.

"Aw shucks, it ain't noth-"

She stops suddenly.

"Hey, d'you hear that? I don't know how to describe it: some kind of weird... burbling... bubbling... oozing even..."

She stands up sharply, grimacing.

"Something not good anyway..."

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy gulps. "No, I didn't hear it," she says. "I don't think I particularly want to...We have to go down there, though."

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:43 am
by Zero
Atauchi moved to where Cynthia had levered off another slab and made a second opening. He finally was able to detect the strange sound of bubbling, oozing liquid but was completely at a loss as to its nature.

"Ramp seem steep, may be traicionero... er, slippery. Need bring plenty of rope." he said to the others.
OOC:   Traicionero means treacherous. Atauchi doesn't know the direct English translation.  

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:58 pm
by jp1885

"Yep. Larkin obviously wanted to climb down the open shaft, and we've got his stuff, so doing that won't be a problem. Finding where to place the ward, avoiding the Father of Maggots and getting back out of there will be a different matter."

Cynthia puts her hands on her hips, squinting up at the top of the pyramid.

"We need to make a plan: who's manning the ropes up here; who's going down the shaft - and what shaft to use; who wants to carry the ward and who wants to kill the Father of Maggots if we fail."

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'll need to leave a rear guard up top," says Amy, "in case more kharisiri come by. Otherwise they could just seal the shafts and trap us inside! I can carry the ward, unless someone else would rather do it."

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:42 pm
by Silver Priest
"I can be the guard up here, unless you'd rather have me down there in case things go south." Marcus says. Truthfully he'd rather avoid going down any shafts. He's a bit claustrophobic. But if he has to he'll grin and bear it.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"That makes sense," says Amy. "You have a rifle, and you're a good shot with it. You should be able to stop them before they get too close."

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:17 am
by jp1885

"I'll go with you Amy and watch your back. I'm light enough that it should be easy to winch me down and back up again."
OOC,Is the shaft Cynthia opened closer to the pyramid than the other one?

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:12 am
by Anatomist
Nemesio return to the group feeling a bit dizzy... 'No entrance at the top im afraid, but there is a crack, 3 inches wide at the most, something is indeed making some outwards pressure'

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, Cynthia," says Amy, "but it can't just be the two of us."

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 am
by Zero
Despite being a fairly decent climber, Atauchi didn't care to repeat his experience from the basement storage room at the university in Lima. The interior walls of this structure was far too cramped for his liking. Besides, the tracker was a skilled marksman and believed he was best suited for look out duty.

"I keep watch with Marcus up here. Kharisiri no trouble you." he said, assuredly.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 am
by Anatomist
'Are we sure there's no other entrances? just these shafts?'

Dr.Sánchez pulls out a 30 ft long rope, secures one end to the heavy slab and lets the end fall down to the bottom, 'I will go first, ill flash my flashlight upwards if its secure' as he sets his feet at the edge he smirks 'love this part, an archeologist dream'
success Climb (40%),[dice]0[/dice]
The Sánchez when landing starts searching the room he is in.
failed Spot Hidden (62%),[dice]1[/dice]
success Archaeology (80%),[dice]2[/dice]
failed Listen (40%),[dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:21 am
by kabukiman
"So, Dr Sanchez do you see anything?"

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:57 am
by jp1885

"Huh!" Cynthia snorts with scorn. "Some knights in shining armour you are! C'mon Amy, let's follow Dr. Sanchez."

Sitting on the lip of the shaft, she grabs hold of the rope.
Climb 40% fail (bonus also fail),[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
However the effort of trying to climb down pulls on her stitches.

"Okay, plan B: we can be lowered down." She rummages through Larkin's gear. "Help me set up the block and tackle someone."

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:07 pm
by Raiko
Jackson joins those gathered around the shaft that Cynthia opened.

"I'll follow you ladies down, while Atauchi and Marcus keep an eye out. I'm a better shot with a handgun anyway if it's necessary."
OOC,1) Yes, the slab that Cynthia opened is closer than the broken one. I do have a map that I could upload, but the locations of the flagstones in the map, doesn't match the description (it ignores the sloped ramps at the bottom of the shafts), so I'd prefer to just use the written description of the ruins site. 2) You can have a bonus die to climb down the shaft using a rope. If Cynthia needs lowering, Jackson will lower her down.
At the bottom of the shaft, Dr. Sánchez find that the area that he can stand in is only the size of the chimney shaft. An opening in the wall leads to a ramp that slopes at about sixty degrees below the horizontal in the direction of the pyramid. The ramp tunnel continues as far as the torch illuminates, disappearing into the darkness about twenty or thirty yards from the shaft.

The ramp is steep enough that it might be tricky climbing back up. The ceiling of the ramp tunnel is only about four feet high, so Sánchez would need to either crawl head first down the steep slope, or shuffle down while sitting.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:17 pm
by Raiko
OOC: Sorry, I almost forgot

Sánchez also notices that the rancid smell of decay is considerably worse at the bottom of the shaft than it was on the surface - although it is not as bad as it was on top of the pyramid near the crack.

Jackson calls down the shaft, "Is everything okay down there Nemesio?"

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy has practiced for this sort of thing, but even she has difficulty in spite of having the aid of a rope.
OOC,Climb roll (60% skill) climbing down the shaft: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die: [dice]1[/dice] If there's any danger of falling due to a failed roll, I'll spend three Luck to succeed.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 pm
by jp1885

Feeling rather inadequate, Cynthia frowns as Amy shimmies down the rope. After checking her pistol and grabbing a primed pump of fuel, she turns imploringly to Jackson.

"Er, little help?"

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:32 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote: Jackson calls down the shaft, "Is everything okay down there Nemesio?"
Dr.Sánchez flashes his flashlight upward the shaft. All good, it's a small space, I'll wait for you at the ramp down here

Dr.Sánchez moves to the ramp and makes a marking on the wall that takes to the shaft. A big arrow indicating the direction they came from. He will instruct the others in doing so as they go further down towards the base of the pyramid.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 pm
by Raiko
OOC,There's no danger from failing a climb roll unless you fumble or you push the roll.
Jackson lowers Amy and then Cynthia down with the rope, before climbing down himself.

Four gathering people at the bottom of the shaft is a very tight squeeze, not helped at all by the awful smell of decay.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:11 pm
by jp1885

"Ugh!"

Cynthia wrinkles her nose. "Why do I get the feeling that Father of Maggots isn't a euphemism?"

Despite the squeeze, she shifts so that she can look down the sloping tunnel.

"Say, how much rope have we got left? We could run some down the slope - it looks pretty steep so it could help us climb back up."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'll need to tie it to the end of this rope to extend it," says Amy. "I hope we don't have to leave in a hurry. Getting out won't be as easy as getting in was."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 am
by Anatomist
OOC:   Raiko, Nemesio used the group inventory rope (30ft) to climb down, and will now use his personal (60 ft) rope. Is that enough to knit together and get to the base of the slope?  
'I got my rope here with me' Nemesio says and start joining the ropes with a Double Fisherman's Knot

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:36 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia waits until Dr. Sanchez ties up the rope and helps feed it down the slope.

"Let's hope it's long enough, huh?"

She rummages in her satchel, swapping her pump for her flashlight whilst trying not to elbow any of her friends.

"Shall I go first?"

Switching on the flashlight and shining it forwards, she sits down and slowly edges herself down the slope feet first, conquistador sword scabbard scratching the dirt as she bumps down.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 pm
by kabukiman
Andreson climb to join the group.
climb: 70%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm
by Raiko
With the help of the rope, Cynthia has no difficulty shuffling down the steep ramp.

The combined length of the ropes is almost enough to reach the bottom, but Cynthia finds that when she reaches the end of rope she is still about three years from the end of the ramp.

Ahead of her in the beam of her flashlight, she can see the ramp ends by dropping through the ceiling of a low tunnel - the tunnel appears to be about four feet high, like the ramp, although it is at least wide enough that they won't be stuck in single file.

A band of the far wall of tunnel glitters gold in the torchlight, so the tunnel looks like it runs around the buried base of the pyramid.

While Cynthia hangs onto the rope and shines her flashlight around, Jackson Elias calls down from the top of the ramp asking if she needs anything.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm
by jp1885

"About seven feet more rope, or something to stand on." Cynthia replies.

She describes what she can see and then drops to the tunnel floor, trusting in her lightness to mitigate any heavy landing. Taking care not to bump her head on the low ceiling, she takes a look around, paying particular attention to the glittering band, whilst trying to pinpoint the bubbling sound.
Spot hidden 50% fail,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen 50% fail,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:58 am
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez follows Cinthya alertly, closely and gun in his hand.
fail Spot Hidden (62%),[dice]0[/dice]
success Archaeology (80%),[dice]1[/dice]
fail Listen (40%),[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy climbs down the ramp, holding onto the rope, until she gets to the end of the rope, though she does not descend to the tunnel below just yet.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (64% skill): [dice]0[/dice] Listen roll (45% skill): [dice]1[/dice] Archaeology roll (41% skill): [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:13 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus shifts from side to side, trying to stay alert for trouble.

Spot Hidden 56%,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen 50%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:48 pm
by Zero
Atauchi maintained close proximity to the shaft with his ear tilted toward the space below. If the others called out for help, he wanted to immediately be aware of it. Further, the tracker periodically glanced about the surrounding area with the aid of his binoculars to ensure that no man or beast could get the drop on them.
Listen (50%),[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden (67%),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Sweet. Extreme Success on the Listen roll, Hard Success on the Spot Hidden. :)  

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm
by Raiko
Jackson Elias clambers down the rope, following the others down - including Anderson. He has enough extra rope from Larkin's supplies to bridge the final section of the ramp, so that an escape rope is in place from the bottom all the way back up to the surface.

He calls back up to Atauchi and Marcus, nearly 100 feet above, Jackson's voice echoes up the ramp and chimney "We're all down now!"

The low tunnel at the bottom of the ramp heads straight on to the left and the right. Like the steep ramp, it is only about four feet high, and so the explorers will need to crawl, but it is about three yards wide, so there is room to pass each other, or to move two abreast.

The tunnel clearly runs along the outside of a buried step of the pyramid - the floor ceiling and "outer" wall match the small blocks used to construct the chimney and the ramp, but the "inner wall" is constructed of larger blocks like those of the exposed part of the pyramid. Midway up that wall is a narrow, ornately decorated band of gold that matches the ward the investigators brought here.

The band is undamaged for as far as can be seen in the flashlight beams. The oozing, bubbling sound is audible to everyone down in the tunnel - it seems to be coming through the warded wall, but Cynthia is sure that it is louder to the left.
OOC,Giving the benefit of the earlier exceptional listening success, rather than the later roll.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia presses her ear against the warded wall.

"The bubbling sound seems to be coming from the other side of this wall, but it's louder to the left. Maybe there's a gap in the wall there that it's emanating from. It could be where we need to place the ward!"

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:03 pm
by Anatomist
jp1885 wrote: Cynthia presses her ear against the warded wall.

"The bubbling sound seems to be coming from the other side of this wall, but it's louder to the left. Maybe there's a gap in the wall there that it's emanating from. It could be where we need to place the ward!"
Dr.Sánchez will follow Cynthia gun drawn and ready for anything.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd better come too," says Amy, following her. "I've got the ward."

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:32 pm
by kabukiman
"Try not to make any sound, they may still some creatures lurking there"- says Anderson nervous with a gun ready.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm
by jp1885

With her friends beside or behind her, Cynthia slowly edges along the wall to the left, torch in one hand, pistol in the other, looking out for any gaps in the gold band.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 am
by Zero
Atauchi maintained his position near the top of the chimney. While generally brave and willing to take on challenges, the Quechua man was glad it wasn't him who was delving into the depths of this ancient structure. Besides, the real danger was atop the temple rather than within its depths.

"What you think of all this? Is real evil spirit at work here?" he asked Marcus.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 pm
by Raiko
At the Ancient Ruins
6:00pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

Above ground, the sky is darkening and the stars already appearing through the thin mountain air as the sun vanishes behind the western peaks.

It would be a beautiful place to be, if not for the stench of decay, the incessant buzzing of the flies and the worries about vampiric kharisiri and imprisoned gods.

The Underground Tunnels - Beneath the Ancient Ruins

A hundred feet below ground it is slow going. The floor of the low tunnel is covered with dust and fragments of broken stone - anyone who rushes risks injuring themelves as the sharp fragments lacerate their hands and knees. There are also occasional clusters of small stalactites hanging from the ceiling, where dripping water has left limestone deposits.

To make things even less pleasant, the smell of decay down in the tunnels is absolutely overpowering, and the air is filled with the buzzing flies. Jackson ties a cloth across his mouth and nose to try and lessen the nauseating stench, and suggests that the other explorers do the same.

After what seems an eternity of crawling - during which the explorers pass underneath another of the steep ramps - the section of the golden band damaged by Luis de Mendoza and his companions finally comes into view.

Both the pyramid wall, and the tunnel are badly damaged here: There is a two inch wide crack in the wall, running through the recess where the missing inlay used to rest, and down to the floor of the tunnel. The floor is especially damaged; a hole has been opened that covers a twenty feet long section of the tunnel. The hole is filled with a pool of rancid white fat that has dribbled from the crack over the years. The stench of decay is almost unbearable now and as the explorers try not to retch, they can see that the surface of the pool moves constantly, as though something living writhes around below the surface.

Due to the width of the pool, it appears to be impossible to access the section of wall where the inlay is missing without wading through the accumulated filth.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:47 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Dice rolls for those in the tunnels:  
SUCCESSFUL SPOT HIDDEN,You spot something briefly breaking the surface of the pool of fat. It is a writhing thing nearly a foot long, that blends almost perfectly with the fat of the pool. A maggot thing like the one left inside the victim at the haulage yard in Lima. Although this looked larger. Make a SAN roll. Lose 1d3 if you fail.
SUCCESSFUL LISTEN,The oozing sound is definitely coming from the other side of the crack in the wall.
DOCTOR SANCHEZ,You feel an urge to wade straight through the rancid pool and stare through the crack in the wall, so that you can behold it's majesty... Make a POW check to resist. If you pass the above Spot Hidden check, then you stop short of the pool, even if you failed the POW roll.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:18 pm
by jp1885
Dice rolls,Listen 50% success [dice]0[/dice]Spot hidden 50% success [dice]1[/dice] SAN currently 46 success[dice]2[/dice]
Carefully putting her stuff down, Cynthia follows Jackson's lead and covers her mouth and nose with a cloth, knotting it round the back of her head bandit-style. She is now convinced that the sound is coming from the other side of the wall. Something is there...

Picking her pistol and flashlight back up, she casts light from the latter over the gap and the pool. Her eyes widen as something writhes in the fat. She backs up by instinct, but holds her nerve (not to mentin her stomach).

She frantically signals to the others to be careful, before making a writhing motion with her hand and pointing to the pool. Pocketing her pistol, she fishes out her fuel pump and looks enquiringly at Jackson.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:47 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus considers. "You know, i never believed in all this magic mumbo jumbo. I was in the war; you see the things I've seen, your realize man doesn't need gods or witchcraft to do horrible things. But the things I've seen... I can't really come up for an explanation for them. There's an evil at work here, and I don't know if it's a god,a demon,a spaceman. Whatever it is though, I know we need to make sure it doesn't get released out there." He points to empathize the remark.

"You ever seen anything like this?" He asks the native.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy shudders at the sight of the creature and aims her shotgun at it. "While I can swim," she says, "I can't say I like the idea of doing it in that stuff, especially with that thing in there."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) in the tunnel: [dice]0[/dice] Listen roll (45% skill) in the tunnel: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity roll (current level 70) for seeing the maggot: [dice]2[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 am
by Anatomist
"Whats is that?" Dr.Sánchez says raising his arm to point on the pool. Without completing his movement to point, he take a few steps ahead towards the pool of white fat stopping at the very edge of it ''hes calling on me" he murmurs while passing Cynthia where she stands "its glorious"
extreme success Spot Hidden (62%),[dice]0[/dice]
fail Listen (40%),[dice]1[/dice]
fail Sanity (46%),[dice]2[/dice]
Sanity Loss,[dice]3[/dice]
failed POW check (50%),[dice]4[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:33 pm
by jp1885

"Hey, don't be crazy!"

Cynthia tries to hold Sanchez back, being careful not to get dragged in if she fails.

"Anyone got anything we can plug in that gap?"

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:46 pm
by Zero
Atauchi listened as the other man spoke on his perspectives on the natural world as well as the supernatural. The Quechua man was also reevaluating his system of beliefs. Until now, gods and demons were merely story, he never expected to encounter them in the flesh.

"Si. My people have some belief in other place, uhm, spirit world... but I never see any proof before until recent. I not sure what to think." he replied and then popped a fresh coca leaf into his mouth.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:32 pm
by Silver Priest
"Fair point. Still, these things can be killed if you shoot them enough. So whatever they are, I don't think they're gods. Not really."

Noticing the tracker pop another coca leaf into his mouth, he raises an eyebrow. "You know, too many of those things are probably bad for you. Probablly rot your teeth, or something." He takes the opportunity to light up another cigarette.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:54 am
by Raiko
The Underground Tunnels - Beneath the Ancient Ruins

Jackson looks grimly at the maggot thing before it slips back below the surface of the pool, "Yeah, is that one of those things like at the haulage yard Nemesio? Just touching one burnt your arm."

"Anyone got any idea how we can get over that pool without clinbing in? We've got plenty of rope, maybe we can rig something?"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good idea," says Amy. "I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I guess I can tie knots, at least. If we could tie a hook to the other end, maybe we can throw it so that it catches onto something on the other side of the gap?"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 am
by jp1885

"Yeah, that makes sense."

Cynthia, still gripping onto Sanchez with one hand, shines her torch to the opposite side of the pool to see if there's anything to catch a rope on.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:11 am
by kabukiman
"Maybe we can actually use 2 ropes to get easier and to be sure it can handle our weight?"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:57 am
by Anatomist
jp1885 wrote: Cynthia, still gripping onto Sanchez with one hand, shines her torch to the opposite side of the pool to see if there's anything to catch a rope on.
Dr.Sánchez turns his head towards Cinthya "this is a bit scary" he steps back from the edge of the pool "the maggots in here a far bigger then those in the yard... be careful"
OOC:   Raiko is it ok Nemesio crafts a torch from some cloth and a stick? so he can throw to the other side of the pool?  

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:42 am
by Zero
With the sun now almost completely below the horizon, Atauchi believed the chance of an attack was becoming imminent. He began to rummage through a pants pocket for his tinder kit. The tracker surmised that a series of fires positioned about the perimeter would help in keeping their unearthly foes at bay. He only wished that they had begun the task sooner.

"The leaves of coca plant repel the kharisiri, señor. You should use too." he said in reply.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:32 am
by Silver Priest
"Thanks," says Marcus, "but I prefer letting my gun do the repelling."

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 am
by jp1885

While the others knot the ropes into some kind of bridge over the pool, Cynthia draws De Mendoza's rapier and idly pokes the fat with it.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 pm
by Raiko
Anatomist wrote:
OOC:   Raiko is it ok Nemesio crafts a torch from some cloth and a stick? so he can throw to the other side of the pool?  
OOC:   Yes, that's fine. Even with the low ceiling, I don't think that 20 feet is far enough to require any kind of success roll.

I will reply again later today. :)  

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 pm
by Raiko
The Pool of Filth - Below the Ancient Ruins
6:05pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

Nemesio's torch lands in the tunnel on the opposite side of the pool, about six feet clear of the fat. The tunnel beyond is illuminated and can be seen to continue for another twenty feet or so beyond the pool, before turning out of sight as it continues around the corner of the pyramid.

In all, this face of the pyramid's subterranean walls is around sixty feet long, with the crack, the damaged ward and the pool of fat roughly in the middle.

There is nothing visible to attach a rope to, other than perhaps the corner of the pyramid. There are also no ramp openings along this section of tunnel.

Accessing the other side of the pool, would require either wading across, attempting to follow the tunnel all the way around the pyramid - assuming that is possible, or opening another chimney/ramp around the opposite side.

Poking the pool with the sword Cynthia does not attract the maggot, although she does think that there must actually be more than one of them in there, judging by the movement of ripples on the surface of the revolting pool.

The edge of the pool is quite shallow - only a few inches deep - and poking around Cynthia finds that it is also shallower on the opposite wall to the broken ward - at least as far as she can reach with the sword. So it may be possible to wade across on the opposite side to the ward without the pool getting deep.

It must be deeper near the middle and closer to the cracked wall though, in order for the maggot(s) to submerge.

It might also be possible to reach the other side by "climbing" along on of the walls. Although this would be tricky as the stones all well fitted, other than in the damaged section, and the ceiling is only four feet above the pool.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:The Pool of Filth - Below the Ancient Ruins
6:05pm - Thurday 24th March, 1921

Nemesio's torch lands in the tunnel on the opposite side of the pool, about six feet clear of the fat. The tunnel beyond is illuminated and can be seen to continue for another twenty feet or so beyond the pool, before turning out of sight as it continues around the corner of the pyramid.

The edge of the pool is quite shallow - only a few inches deep - and poking around Cynthia finds that it is also shallower on the opposite wall to the broken ward - at least as far as she can reach with the sword. So it may be possible to wade across on the opposite side to the ward without the pool getting deep.
Dr.Sánchez seeing Cynthias poking check his firarm and wades as fast he can over to the other side, keeping a close eye with if any maggot breaks surface

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia sighs as the torch lands at the other side of the pool, revealing a disturbing lack of tethering points.

"Ah to hell with this, I'm going in."

She ties a section of rope around her waist.

"Amy, pass me the ward. I'm gonna try to climb along the golden band. If I fall in the pool, you guys keep those maggots off me."

Handing her fuel pump to Anderson, she walks to the side of the pool. Trying to avoid the low ceiling, she tests her grip on the wall containing the golden band, hoping to edge along, above the pool.
Climb 40%,[dice]0[/dice]
However, she is unable to get a grip on the slippery wall. She steps back, huffing with frustration.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:45 pm
by Raiko
Cynthia is sure that if she just stretches a little further she'll reach the damaged section where hand-holds are easier.
OOC:   Push the roll if you like? Failure results in a fall into the pool.  

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:59 pm
by jp1885

"Screw it..."

Cynthia tries again...
Pushed climb 40%,[dice]0[/dice]
...and falls into the pool with a sickly splash...

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy stands ready to shoot any maggots that show themselves and pose a danger to Cynthia, provided she can do so without hitting her.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:56 pm
by jp1885

Assuming that Cynthia survives falling into the maggot-ridden fat pool, she immediately makes for the gap. Trusting her friends to keep the maggots off her, she attempts to fit the ward back in place.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:11 am
by Raiko
Cynthia falls into the deepest part of the pool of filth, splashing into the fat where it is about four feet deep.

Fortunately she is also almost directly in front of the cracked wall, and standing in the pool she should still be able to reach high enough to fit the missing piece of the ward.
OOC:   Cynthia, make a luck roll.

Everyone else underground, make a spot hidden roll.  

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy keeps an eye out for maggots, but she can't see any.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) at the pool: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 am
by jp1885
Luck 49%,[dice]0[/dice]
Bugger...

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 am
by kabukiman
Anderson will be with his weapon ready to shoot any maggot that seems to get too close from Cynthia.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 am
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:Cynthia falls into the deepest part of the pool of filth, splashing into the fat where it is about four feet deep.
Fortunately she is also almost directly in front of the cracked wall, and standing in the pool she should still be able to reach high enough to fit the missing piece of the ward.
OOC:   Everyone else underground, make a spot hidden roll.  
success spot Hidden 62%,[dice]0[/dice]
Dr.Sánchez sees something moving in the fat pool.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:25 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson: spot hidden 65%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:48 am
by Zero
Atauchi glanced in Marcus' direction once again as he continued his survey of the perimeter. The Quechua man began to wonder how the expedition members who had ventured below were faring and whether or not there would be any indication that their endeavor had been successful.

"How we know if they succeed or not?" he asked the other man.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:54 pm
by Silver Priest
It's clear Marcus had not considered this.

"Until we hear screaming, I'm going to count it as a success. Besides, they're a resourceful group. ." Privately he wishes he felt as confident as he projects.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:53 pm
by jp1885
If Cynthia survives whatever unlucky event befalls her, she will try again to refit the ward.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:12 pm
by Raiko
Jackson Elias - Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden: [dice]0[/dice]
"Look out Cynthia!" shouts Jackson.

One of the maggots is swimming through the pool of fat towards Cynthia. It is very close, and unfortunately is between Cynthia and the wall - Anderson and Sánchez notice the tell-tale ripples on the surface of the vile pool.
OOC:   Anderson and Sánchez have time to fire at the maggot with whichever weapon they had ready.
Handguns make a normal shot - due to point blank range and concealment.
Rifles have a single penalty die - due to the concealment.
Jackson will fire, but I'll let the PCs act first.  

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:49 pm
by jp1885

"Yeurgh!"

If she can, Cynthia will wade back slightly to allow everyone a shot. If possible she will draw her pistol or sword, depending if either are to hand whilst waist deep in fat.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:58 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote: "Look out Cynthia!" shouts Jackson
Dr.Sánchez aims at the maggot, feeling his tight skin on his acid-burned arm. His thoughts flickers a split second to what a maggot of this size might do to Cynthia. He instinctively fires two shots at the maggot.
extreme success Firearms Pistol (60%)(first shot),[dice]0[/dice]
Potential damage,[dice]1[/dice]
hard success Firearms Pistol (60%)(second shot),[dice]2[/dice]
Potential damage,[dice]3[/dice]
OOC:   (10x2)+10 for total 30 dmg 8-)  

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy gasps, though she cannot see the maggot.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:07 am
by kabukiman
Anderson handgun: 60%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:20 am
by jp1885

If Sanchez kills the maggot, Cynthia will press forward and put the ward back into the wall.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:03 pm
by Raiko
Anderson's gunshot narrowly misses, but it doesn't matter as Doctor Sánchez's two shots completely destroy the maggot.

Cynthia takes her chance and moves to refit the broken section of the ward.

Meanwhile something stirs beyond the wall, small fragments of rock fall into the pool and a tremor shakes the whole plateau as the Father of Maggots makes a final effort to break free from it's centuries long imprisonment.
OOC:   Cynthia, make either an archaeology or a mechanical repair roll (your choice lol) to fit the ward back in place.  

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:02 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia grits her teeth. Wiping a mixture of sweat and fat from her eyes she tries to concentrate, despite the shots ringing in her ears and the ominous stirring behing the shaking wall.
Archaeology 26%,The lesser of two evils![dice]0[/dice] Spending 46 luck!
More by luck than judgement, the ward clicks into place.

"Stay where you are, you son of a bitch..." she mutters through the crack.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 pm
by Anatomist
jp1885 wrote:"Stay where you are, you son of a bitch..." she mutters through the crack.
Dr.Sánchez hold his breath when he hears the click of the seal 'hope that will do it!' he yells over the rumbling sound

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 am
by Zero
Atauchi nodded as he continued to scan the perimeter with his trained eyes. The tracker couldn't help but feel apprehensive about the lack of opposition they had encountered since their arrival. The native man had been sure that the evil spirit which had possessed Larkin had not only been aware of their plans, but understood them fully. He expected their group to be met with stiff resistance, however, this had all been remarkably simple. Perhaps too simple.

"Okay, no telling how long this take. We continue waiting." he said.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:45 am
by Raiko
When Cynthia fits the ward section back into place, the rumble and shaking of the earth-tremor stops immediately and the movements of the maggots in the pool ends.

It is as though someone has shut a heavy door on a noisy room - all is still and silent in the tunnel.

"Do you think that's it?" asks Jackson nervously.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I sure hope so," says Amy. "Come on back, Cynthia."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:11 am
by jp1885

Cynthia doesn't need telling twice. She wades up to the shallower part of the pool, keeping an eye out for maggots.

Assuming she encounters no difficulty, she climbs out, trying to wipe as much fat off her clothes as she can.

"Aw jeez I'm gonna stink!"

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 am
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez will start a survey of the pyramid hoping he will learn more about the Father of Maggots.
Anthropology (40%),[dice]0[/dice]
extreme success Archaeology (80%),[dice]1[/dice]
History (65%),[dice]2[/dice]
hard success Spot Hidden (62%),[dice]3[/dice]
OOC:   If possible Dr.Sácnhez will repeat his survey in all parts of the pyramid, down here in the tunnels and as they move upwards and out on the surface  

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 am
by kabukiman
OOX:; Anderson will try to find also anything useful in the pyramid

Archaeology: 71%
[dice]0[/dice]

History: 65%
[dice]1[/dice]

Spot Hidden: 65%
[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia squelches away from the pool as the others look around. Realising that her pistol is probably useless, she draws her rapier, holding the unfamiliar weapon awkwardly in her slippery hand.

"Hey, be careful - we don't know if refitting the ward actually works. We gotta be alert for any more kharisiri, maggots and Christ knows what else.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy nods, but she can't resist taking a good look around.
OOC,Anthropology roll (41% skill) in the pyramid: [dice]0[/dice] Archaeology roll (41% skill) in the pyramid: [dice]1[/dice] History roll (65% skill) in the pyramid: [dice]2[/dice] Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) in the pyramid: [dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:01 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus continues to keep watch. He's not sure he likes how quiet it is.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:08 am
by jp1885

With no other plan being presented, Cynthia decides to join in the search.
Dice rolls,Just rolling what everyone else is rolling! Anthropology 21% Pass [dice]0[/dice]Archaeology 26% Critical pass! [dice]1[/dice]History 20% Fail [dice]2[/dice] Spot Hidden 50% Pass [dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 am
by Zero
Atauchi sensed his companion's apprehension, and while he too felt a degree of trepidation, the tracker was determined to maintain his stoic visage. He continued to watch their perimeter and keep an ear out for any sign of trouble from below the surface.
Listen (50%),[dice]1[/dice]
Finally, as if by cue, the Earth itself shook beneath the Quechua man's feet. He looked over at Marcus as he attempted to brace himself.

"This normal, señor?" he asked.
OOC:   Amended the post to reflect the ground quakes.  

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:43 am
by jp1885
OOC:   Would Atauchi and Marcus feel the tremors that went off as we refitted the ward?  

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:41 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Yes, the entire plateau is shaken by the Father of Maggots' final attempt to escape its imprisonment.  

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 pm
by Silver Priest
"You'd know better than me," Marcus says. "But I'm guessing they either succeeded or are all dead. Stay alert in either case."

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:59 am
by Zero
Atauchi forced a smile, nodded and maintained his vigil near the opening. He then began to mentally prepare himself for the possibility that their companions failed, and what the ramifications of that failure would be. Would they attempt to replace the wards themselves? Could they even reach the location now after the ground quake?

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:53 pm
by Raiko
About ten minutes after the plateau is shaken by the tremor, Marcus and Atauchi spot a gaunt figure staggering down the mountain path towards the ruins – the same way that they access the site earlier. The figure is undoubtably another kharisiri, but it appears to be in distress – wailing in pain as it desperately attempts to reach the pyramid. As the investigators watch, the kharisiri falls the ground, stretching out one arm pitifully towards the tomb of it's god, then laying motionless on the path.

Within a minute the creature's flesh and bones have crumbled to dust, blown away by the mountain wind, leaving behind only the tattered rags it was wearing.

A little later when the underground team finally return to the surface, Jackson Elias is the first to emerge, waving joyously to Atauchi and Marcus, before crouching by the open shaft to help Amy , Cynthia, Sánchez and Anderson back out into the moonlight.

Dr. Sánchez leads a survey of the site, above and below ground, that uncovers some interesting details, but sheds little more light on the origins of the Father of Maggots than Nayra's folktale about the fallen god.

The pyramid is almost certainly constructed by the same pre-Incan civilisation responsible for the site at Tiwanaku, however as with those ruins, the markings on the walls and the ward do not appear to record anything in an actual language – other than perhaps astronomical information and the position of the sun and moon.

There are however a couple of notable locations at the site. Firstly the grimmest is a charnel pit – marked by a large buzzing cloud of the blowflies, this wide pit is at the far side of the ruins and was originally the ground level entrance to the tunnels – a ramp leads down from the pit, accessible by digging through the heaps of corpses. The pit is square – about fifteen feet to a side and ten feet deep – it is piled almost full of bodies – mostly just bones now, but many are relatively recent kills. The stench close to the pit is overwhelming, the source of the smell of decay the investigators noticed as they approached the ruins.

The other notable location is a chamber within the tunnels – originally used as workshop during construction of the ward, this chamber is piled with artefacts and trinkets looted from the victims of the kharisiri over the centuries, mixed with items that may have been on the site much earlier, or pilfered by de Mendoza and the other conquistadors. There is an enormous hoard of items here, from the contemporary to pre-Incan, much of the items are gold. This is doubtlessly where Larkin acquired the two items that he showed off back in Lima.

Removing all of these items from the site would be a major undertaking.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:26 pm
by jp1885

A fat-smeared Cynthia breathes the night air in deeply, too tired to think about anything other than trying to clean up and rest.

She certainly has no wish to go back down there again, least of all investigate the charnel pit!

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 pm
by Silver Priest
"Great work everyone," Marcus says. "One of the kharisiri crumbled to dust before our eyes, so I think whatever you did did the trick."

He'll volunteer to examine the rest of the pyramid, but the only part that really attracts his interest is the artifacts.

"Well, what should we do with all these. Giving them to a museum might lead too too many questions being asked. I think the only thing we can do is take as much as we can with us. To compensate us for all the trouble we've been through." Already visions of riches are dancing in the bodyguard's head.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"It was Cynthia that did it," says Amy. "She was so brave. We have to make sure nobody ever finds the pyramid again. Otherwise, someone could break the ward again plundering it like the conquistadors did. The treasure should be returned to its rightful owners when they can be found, but the kharisiri probably killed a lot of them. As for the rest, we can at least carry out the smaller pieces, assessing what's the most valuable. We can't keep all the treasure for ourselves. It belongs in a museum. If we kept a lot of this stuff, it would raise just as many questions, but I think Dr. Sánchez would know what to do about them. We can just change the location where we found them, and nobody will be the wiser. There will probably be fewer problems if we take them to New York than back to Lima. There won't be as many people there with local knowledge of Peru."

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 am
by Anatomist
'Most of this are historical objects, i will not accept any of it been damaged or lost. There's plenty of "modern" very valuable objects too, so i guess splitting up that would be good enough compensation for our trouble.' he starts to walk while he thinks.. 'What about concealing the most historical objects at Elizas Ranch? and compensate her for the trouble?. We can periodically fetch an object and donate it to a museum with troubling visitors numbers?, to boost it, you see what i mean?
Eliza would be able to build the Ranch up again, but we would have to bind her to absolute secrecy. I would even make her buy this land and as Amy says, we conceal the pyramid as good we can.'

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 am
by jp1885

Cynthia squelches up to Sanchez and nods.

"I agree with the Prof. Maybe Nayra could help Eliza keep it secret too? She already knows the pyramid's location after all. We should also fill in the shafts - dynamite the entrances, or if that risks damaging the ward, then at least fill them in."

She surveys her surroundings.

"It'll take a long time, but I think we should be safe enough to camp here for a few nights now. Perhaps one of us could fetch John too, so he knows we're okay and can help us."

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's a good thought," agrees Amy.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:09 am
by kabukiman
"We can say that we caught some thieves, but they escaped and we have no idea where they got the artifacts."- says Anderson

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:46 pm
by Anatomist
kabukiman wrote:"We can say that we caught some thieves, but they escaped and we have no idea where they got the artifacts."- says Anderson

'In my opinion that would raise so many questions, enormous riches in hands of thieves? that escaped... where they go, how, why and so on. Dear Anderson, discretion and secrecy my friends are our allies in this situation i think, and gold to pay of course'

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 pm
by Zero
Atauchi cracked a small smile when he saw Doctor Sánchez emerge from below, perhaps the first time any emotion was intentionally displayed for the others to notice. He moved to shake the professor's hand and then listened intently as the details of the events were relayed to Marcus and himself. The news of treasure certainly interested the local man, for he had little money, and the chance at riches was his primary reason for joining Larkin's expedition team in the first place.

"I think it best we split treasure many ways, send out of area hidden with farmed and made goods. We keep share, museums sound good for rest, better than left here." he said.
OOC:   Basically Atauchi is recommending that they smuggle everything out in small lots to avoid suspicion. They can send crates at varied intervals to varied locations. The haulage yard could be useful once again for that part, perhaps.  

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 pm
by jp1885

"Well we'd better get moving soon while the locals are still too scared to come snooping around. It won't be long before they realise the kharisiri have gone."

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're right," says Amy, "let's do what we can while there's time. The daylight won't stay forever."

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:46 am
by kabukiman
"True, even if all those creatures are dead, they may be other dangers, like bad weather".

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 am
by Silver Priest
"I have some... friends back in New York who can help exchange some of these things for cash." Marcus adds. "They won't ask questions either."

If nothing else, he gets to work and begins to transport some of the valuables out of the pyramid.