Page 1 of 1

[IC]Prologue 0.5: The Ranch

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:31 pm
by Raiko
Rancho con Vistas al Lago
4:00pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921
fundo-chincheros.jpg
The lands of Eliza's family ranch - Rancho con Vistas al Lago - sprawl over around 300 acres overlooking Lake Titicaca, about three miles of the south of Puno, tucked beneath a sharp rise up to the highland peaks where the ancient ruins are located.

The old truck rocks violently as Maicu drives along the rutted track through the middle of the farmlands, to where the elegant 19th Century Hacienda sits. The farmhouse buildings are nestled around a central garden, dominated by a large tree, with the rest of the garden enclosed by a low wall. A large stable and the horse corral sit outside the walled complex and the farmhouse is overlooked by a small wooded hill. Eliza has already told the investigators that she and her children were held in the smaller house, closest to the tree lined hill.

In the fields nearby herds of alpaca wander lazily clumps of grass - a few horses and a llama can be seen out in the corral, but no humans are visible.
alpacas1_0.jpg
OOC:   No kharisiri visible either. ;)
The "smaller house" is central in the photo of the ranch. This outbuilding is where Eliza, her husband and their children lived prior to the kharisiri attack. Her parents, brother and grandfather lived in the larger building.
The kharisiri plan was for Eliza to lead you all into the cellars of the larger building later tonight, to be captured. There is always at least one kharisiri in the smaller building with baby Julio, sometimes two or three, especially when Eliza is home. Other than that, any kharisiri present will normally be in the larger building.  

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:49 pm
by Raiko
Meanwhile, Atauchi, Marcus and John approach through the trees on horseback.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:02 pm
by Anatomist
"Maicu take us to the closest gate to the main house, when we are all off, turn the truck and park outside, behind the outer wall so the truck is ready to escape, keep the motor going Maicu we are counting on you if anything goes wrong.
Ladies ready your weapons, lighters and bombs and wait for my signal, Anderson you as well.
Maybe if you stand on top of the truck you get a advantage point into the garden" "Husiy you're with me, grab one of those sacks of feed, use it as cover if needed."

Dr. Sánchez touches his .38 open his door, tucking one of the fire bombs in his inner jacket pocket and walks to the gate with one sack under his arm, tries to open it up as he talks <<Hello! We are here with the supplies!, where do you want them this time?!>>

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:09 pm
by jp1885
Having being rattled around in the truck for a while, Cynthia breathes a sigh of relief when it stops. She carefully peeks through a gap in the covering to get her bearings in relation to Eliza's description of the farm.
As Dr. Sanchez gives his instructions she checks that the pistol in her jacket pocket is loaded and then pokes a machete into her satchel so that the handle sticks out.
"Hey, what are we going to do with the artefact?" she whispers, as she stuff a rag into a bottle of fuel.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 pm
by Raiko
"It should be well enough hidden under all those sacks, as long as they can't 'sense it' somehow and as long as Maicu doesn't leave without us"

Jackson climbs down from the truck and helps the others out, before grabbing a sack and using it to conceal his .45 revolver.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:20 pm
by jp1885
"Well as long as he holds his nerve," Cynthia hisses. "Otherwise we're in trouble later."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy conceals her long gun with another sack. Her .32 pistol is tucked into the waistband of her trousers, her blouse worn loosely over it to cover it, and it is further hidden by her jacket. Her firebombs are in the jacket's inside pockets, one on either side. Her lighter is in an outside pocket, within easy reach.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:37 am
by kabukiman
Anderson has his pistol and knife easily concealed with the trousers; he use the jacket to keep the firebomb hidden.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:15 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus does not enjoy the bumpy ride. But as he gets closer to the smaller home he readies both the rifle he has slung over his back and his pistol. Hopefully he's sneaky enough to avoid having to use either until they got the kid away, but the bodyguard's not taking any chances.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:00 pm
by Raiko
4:02pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

A minute or two passes, before two men step out onto the porches of the ranch buildings, one from the main building and the other from Eliza's smaller house.

Both men are pale skinned and gaunt, their long dark hair is unkempt, and their clothes are tatty and well worn.

The man standing in the doorway of the main building shouts an answer:

<<We do not need feed today. You will go away please!>>

The man speaks in the same archaic Spanish dialect as Luis de Mendoza used.

The small house completely conceals Marcus, John and Atauchi's position in the trees from the view of the Spaniards.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Not understanding a word they're saying, Amy waits for the others to react before doing anything.
OOC,Language (Spanish) roll (2% skill) to understand their speech: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:16 am
by Zero
Atauchi observed the group from just inside the treeline through his binoculars. As much as the man was concerned for the safety of his companions at the truck, he believed that a large diversion would make their task much easier. They would have to wait to see how this played out before making any sort of move.

"Two men come out meet them." he whispered to Marcus.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Just a note, that from the cover of the trees it isn't possible to see the porch of the small house.
So Atauchi can only see the one who spoke.  

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:50 am
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:Rancho con Vistas al Lago
<<We do not need feed today. You will go away please!>>

Dr.Sánchez will try to convince the man from the main house to follow him outside the wall, out of sight of the second man that is as Eliza's smaller house uphill.
<<What?! are you sure? i got the truck full of supplies, lots of it must be kept out of the sun, we got seeds, food for the animals, even a pig. You must help me get it off at least, and i got a problem with my tire, can you help us finding a jack anywhere?>>
hard success Fast Talk 70%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:18 am
by kabukiman
Anderson don't understand what is been said but is ready anyway.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 am
by jp1885

Cynthia crouches down behind the truck at the sound of the man's voice. She gulps, her veneer of sassiness rapidly fading away. Despite her violent introduction to the group, everything else had seemed like a game or an adventure until now. However now it is feeling very real indeed... Mentally saying a prayer, she tucks her primed petrol bomb into an inside jacket pocket and waits to see what happens.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:05 am
by Raiko

The man standing by the main building shouts again:

<<Okay I come>>

As he begins to walk he shouts to his companion in the doorway of the small house:

<<Go back inside Hernando, I will deal with this>>

Hernando nods and turns back through the door, at the same time as a third man shouts from inside the door of the larger building:

<<Be quick Diego, Senior Larkin will be here soon>>

<<Okay, okay>>

The first of the Spaniards, Diego, walks to the gate.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Still unsure what's going on, though recognizing the name Larkin, Amy remains out of sight, ready to follow the others' lead.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:49 am
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:Rancho con Vistas al Lago

The first of the Spaniards, Diego, walks to the gate.
Dr. Sánchez will walk towards the back of the truck and let Diego pass him, when Diego turn his back to Dr.Sánchez he will pull out his .38 and shot Diego in the back.
failed Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]0[/dice]
hard success bonus die Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]1[/dice]
damage .38,[dice]2[/dice]
failing botch? Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]3[/dice]
Dr.Sánchez yells as he fires
"There's a second man in the main house, and a third man uphill! i hope he comes down here as he cant see us right now"
Dr.Sánchez graces Diego in the shoulder.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:05 am
by Silver Priest
Hearing the gunshot, Marcus knows their cover is blown. He also knows they need to get inside the small house before the kid was killed. Dismounting from the horse, he carefully but quickly tries to make his way closer to the home and anyone in sight.
Stealth 60,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:03 am
by kabukiman
Anderson leaves the truck and run to help Dr Sanchez and shoot Diego as soon as he can

Handgun: 60%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:20 am
by jp1885
Cynthia flinches as the shots ring out. She looks at Amy and grimaces. "That'll bring 'em all out! We need to keep the ones in the big building inside and torch the place." Keeping her head down and using the truck for cover, she makes her way along, planning to get to the corner of the large building (away from the porch) to drop her petrol bomb through a window.
OOC,I'm guess any open windows would be obvious but here's a spot hidden (50%)roll just in case [dice]0[/dice] Oh well...

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:17 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Dr. Sánchez is shooting at point black range, and so gets a bonus die, as does Anderson.  
As he makes his way stealthily through the trees, Marcus can see that there is a back door to the house that faces out towards the wooded hill. Although the back door is more than likely to be locked, it is possible to approach that door completely unseen from the garden and the conflict at the gate.

Alternatively he could climb over the low wall into the garden and go in through the front door. There are several large trees in the garden, and stone arches fronting the porch, so he'd have cover from the main house most of the time.

John waits by the horses, taking cover behind a tree he levels the rifle, ready to cover Marcus and Atauchi's escape when they get the baby. He smiles at the thought of protecting his own bodyguard.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 am
by Raiko
Cynthia can see that there are several large windows, but none of them are open.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am
by jp1885
OOC,Are they glass windows, like in the photo, or wooden shutters?

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:55 am
by Zero
Atauchi held his position momentarily while Marcus approached the smaller structure during the brewing chaos. He readied his bow to provide cover fire should it become necessary. If for some reason the other man was detected, having a lookout would be vitally important. If signaled by Marcus, however, he would advance immediately.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:40 pm
by Raiko
OOC,They are glass windows.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:41 pm
by Silver Priest
Back door is clear, but there's a good chance it's locked,and I'm no good with them. Would waste valuable time as well.

Front it is. Hopefully my luck holds.

He attempts to climb the wall into the garden and using cover, continues to make his way to the front door.
OOC:   Please let me know if I need to make any rolls here.  

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:07 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   The wall is low enough that anyone can get over it, but make a climb/jump/luck roll (your choice). If you succeed, then your original stealth roll will last until you reach the door, if you fail then roll stealth again.  

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 pm
by Silver Priest
luck 55%,[dice]0[/dice] phew.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Careful, don't go for the house unless someone's covering you," Amy whispers to Cynthia. She readies her shotgun, levels it at Diego, and squeezes the trigger, discharging one of the barrels at him. The blast goes wide. It probably would have been more accurate if she hadn't flinched when she fired.
OOC,Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) roll (25% base skill) shooting at [b]Diego[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die (if point blank): [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:19 am
by jp1885
Praying that Amy's shotgun blast will at least keep the kharisiri away from her, Cynthia scuttles out of cover and races to the wall of the large building. Seeing that the windows are closed, she peers through the nearest one (furthest from the porch, to it's left), trying not to be seen from the inside or out.
Stealth 50%,[dice]0[/dice] Extreme success!
OOC:   If this is too much for a single round, my apologies.  

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:09 am
by kabukiman
Hernando shooting at blank range:
Bonus die
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Anderson cannot see Hernando - who is also much further than point blank range away. I've used your rolls to conclude Anderson's original point blank shot at Diego, as you've posted before I resolved that action. i.e. bonus die: 11 damage die: 8
Giving an impale for 18 damage.  
4:00pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Jackson is momentarily startled when Dr. Sánchez opens fire, "Damn, I thought we."

Diego appears to be blessed by the dark lords as he is virtually unscathed from close range volleys from Sánchez and Amy.

Coming to his senses Jackson levels his revolver and fires, hitting the kharisiri in the chest

A moment later Anderson clears the side of the truck and shoots Diego in the head, before the Spaniard even has time to react to the ambush. Diego collapses to the ground.
Jackson Elias - Dice Rolls,Jackson - Firearms(Handgun) Roll:[dice]0[/dice] Jackson - Bonus die : [dice]1[/dice] Jackson - Damage(.45 Revolver 1d10+2): [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:38 pm
by Raiko
Looking through the window Cynthia can see a large kitchen area, inside the third Spaniard has picked up a shotgun and moved to the front door. Cynthia can see the man from behind.

Across the garden Marcus makes it to the porch of Eliza's house unnoticed by the kharisiri. As he gets there he is confronted by Hernando stepping back out of the door holding a large meat cleaver. The kharisiri is surprised, distracted by the gunshots from outside the garden gate, but turns and begins to swing the cleaver when he sees the new threat.
OOC:   Marcus has time to open fire first  
Behind Marcus, Atauchi reaches the garden wall, before he can climb over to cover Marcus he spots the third kharisiri step up to the door of the main building holding what looks like a shotgun.
OOC:   This is the same guy that Cynthia can see from behind. John can also see him, but is holding fire if possible until he's covering the escape.  

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:50 pm
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez reloads his .38 up to 6 bullets again and aim at the gateway if the second person from the main building will cross it.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 pm
by Zero
Atauchi had followed Marcus in towards the smaller structure, but just as he was about to bound the fence and move around towards the entrance he caught sight of movement. Another kharisiri had come into view, and this one was armed with a firearm. The Quechua tracker took aim with his bow and let loose an arrow in the direction of the creature. He hoped to wound it before it could take a clean shot at his companions.
Firearms (Bow) (35%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Of course it missed. :x At least it was such a poorly aimed shot that it probably went nowhere near the target and thus didn't tip him off to Atauchi's location. :D  

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:04 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Yes, that's exactly what happened.
As long as Atauchi passes a luck roll.  

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:08 pm
by Zero
OOC:   lol... just go ahead and shoot at him now then. We know he'll never pass a Luck roll. At least he has cover from the fence.  
Luck (35),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I stand corrected... Luck roll passed. :lol:  

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:33 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus wastes no time, his mind going back to the war where it was kill or be killed. He raises his rifle and fires at Hernando.
Rifle 65%,[dice]0[/dice] Damage [dice]1[/dice] Still a bit confused about all the intricacies of combat, and unsure if Marcus gets a bonus die here. Also unsure if I have the right damage stats for the gun; I'll happilly correct any errors I made in this post once pointed out. ;) Edit: Ouch. Well, maybe it threw off his aim at least.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:43 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc]Yes you've rolled correctly, I'm not giving full length rifles the point blank bonus. The damage for your rifle is 2d6+4 though, so not [b]too[/b] bad for a double 1. :eek:[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:49 pm
by jp1885
Seeing the shotgun-toting kharisiri headng out of the building, Cynthia draws her handgun and takes a shot as he comes out of the building.
OOC,I think this is do-able, but if not, what do I need to roll to break a window pane to either shoot through or reach the latch?
Handgun 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
Alas the shot goes massively wide.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Considering that she's the least useful in a fight, and that she doesn't know how quickly the kharisiri can recover, Amy douses the corpse of Diego in flammable liquid and lights it on fire.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:33 pm
by Raiko
The Small House

Marcus' rifle shot hits Hernando in the left arm, but the kharisiri pays the wound little heed as he swings the meat cleaver at his foe.
Attack Rolls,Hernando - fighting brawl: [dice]0[/dice] Hendando - Potential Damage (1d8 + 1d6): [dice]1[/dice][dice]2[/dice] [ooc]Marcus needs either a standard dodge, or a hard fighting success to avoid being hit or to counterattack.[/ooc]
The Large House
Cynthia fires through the window at the third kharisiri, but misses. The creature ignores the gunshot and walks out towards the gate, bringing up his shotgun as he does so.
OOC,[ooc]Cynthia can only shoot quickly by firing in through the window. The plain glass offers little protection against gunfire.[/ooc]
Through the damaged window Cynthia can see another kharisiri step into the kitchen. Spotting her immediately, it screams and charges to the window, leaping up at the glass in an attempt to reach her quickly. The vile creature's mouth distends as it runs, forming a wide disk lined with razor sharp teeth. In the centre of the disk the kharisiri's tongue hardens into a bony spike.
OOC,[ooc]Cynthia must make a SAN check, losing 1d6 points if she fails. So long as her sanity loss is less than 5, she will have chance to act before the kharisiri can jump through the window[/ooc]
At the gate

The fallen kharisiri Diego is instantly engulfed in flames as Amy lights the petrol. Jackson Elias fires another shot into Diego's head for good measure.

Dr. Sánchez and Anderson can both see the third kharisiri approaching the gate, brandishing the shotgun. He is lining up a shot in their direction.
OOC,[ooc]Luckily dousing a corpse in petrol doesn't require a hit roll. :lol:[/ooc]
Near the smaller house

John takes a shot at the shotgun wielding kharisiri as he crosses the garden without even looking towards the woods.
Rifle - Aimed,Rifle (25%): [dice]3[/dice] Bonus: [dice]4[/dice] Potential Damage (2d6+4): [dice]5[/dice]
OOC:   Atauchi has time to take another shot with his bow if he wishes.
Alternatively, this one hasn't seen him yet and is turned towards the gate, so he can go help Marcus unnoticed.  

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:36 pm
by Raiko
John's rifle shot hits a tree near the kharisiri.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:27 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus attempts to block the attack.
Fighting hard 38%(?),[dice]0[/dice]
But he fails and the clever hits him, bruising him. His only response is to hiss in pain and be silently thankful it was not worse. It easily could have.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:15 pm
by jp1885
SAN 51%,[dice]0[/dice]
SAN loss,[dice]1[/dice]
Cynthia squeals a number of very unladylike words as the kharisiri lunges at her through the window as his mouth distends.
Wishing that she'd thought to light her petrol bomb first, she realises that she has to rely on her pistol once more. She fires point-blank into the thing's ugly face.
Handgun 60%,[dice]2[/dice]
Handgun 60% bonus,[dice]3[/dice]
M1911 damage,[dice]4[/dice]
She really hopes the sight of her bullet grazing the monster's skull isn't the last thing she sees...
OOC:   Oh, I can fire again can't I? Negating the bonus die? If so..  
Handgun 60%,[dice]5[/dice]
OOC,FFS... No chance of a luck roll to see if he impales himself on the glass? ;)

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote: The Large House
Cynthia fires through the window at the third kharisiri, but misses. The creature ignores the gunshot and walks out towards the gate, bringing up his shotgun as he does so.
Dr. Sánchez and Anderson can both see the third kharisiri approaching the gate, brandishing the shotgun. He is lining up a shot in their direction.
Dr. Sánchez aims and squeezes the trigger in a rapid three shot burst, maybe too quickly as two of the shot goes wide but the third bullet hits the kharisiri's mid torso blood splashes "Amy! get some fire up here!"

failed Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]0[/dice]
failed Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]1[/dice]
extreme success Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]2[/dice]
.38 dmg,[dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy makes her way toward Dr. Sanchez, using the truck for cover and looking for a kharisiri to shoot - or at least try to shoot. If she cannot see a target, she will reload a shell to replace the one she had fired.
OOC,[quote="Raiko"][ooc]Luckily dousing a corpse in petrol doesn't require a hit roll. :lol:[/ooc][/quote] That's why I did it. Somebody had to, and it was the one thing where I knew I had a decent chance of success.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:21 am
by kabukiman
Anderson starts shooting to the the creature approaching in the gate

Handgun: 60%
[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Adding a bonus die to Anderson's shot - Raiko
Bonus: [dice]1[/dice]
Damage: [dice]2[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:21 pm
by Zero
Atauchi lined up another shot at his foe when he heard commotion from the area behind him. He spun around and entered the structure to aid Marcus in his struggle. He put his trust in his companions to handle the other.
OOC:   If there's a chance at shooting the one on Marcus, let me know and I'll add a roll.  

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:16 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Atauchi can shoot - there's a penalty die for the bow - for shooting into a melee.
Marcus will also have a penalty die if he shoots with the rifle against his melee opponent.  

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:33 pm
by Raiko
At the gate

The kharisiri with the shotgun stumbles to the ground, hit by shots from both Dr. Sánchez and Anderson.
OOC,Dice roll to remain conscious CON: [dice]0[/dice]
Remarkably it is still conscious and manages to fire a wild shot at Anderson as it falls to its knees.
OOC,Shotgun(25%):[dice]1[/dice] Penalty die (cover): [dice]2[/dice] Penalty die (falling!) : [dice]3[/dice]
As the kharisiri hits the ground, the shotgun clatters out of it's hands. It's mouth is stretching open unnaturally wide, as it begins to morph into it's true form.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:43 pm
by Raiko
By the window

The kharisiri crashes through the glass, ignoring the damage it does to itself, trying to leap onto Cynthia.
OOC,[ooc]Damage from the glass: [dice]0[/dice] Fighting(brawling) grab: [dice]1[/dice] Penalty [dice]3[/dice][/ooc]
Jackson sees the creature, firing as it leaps...
OOC,[ooc]Jackson Elias, point blank shot into melee - Firearms: [dice]2[/dice] Impale damage 1d10+14 [dice]4[/dice][/ooc]
Jackson's shot hits the kharisiri righy between the eyes, as it passes inches from Cynthia, landing in a bloody heap next to her.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:24 pm
by jp1885
Cynthia steps back as, with a 'crack' and a 'whoosh', the creature lands sprawling beside her feet. Momentarily confused, she looks up to see Jackson lowering his rifle.
"That's twice I owe you..." she mutters, sighing with relief.
Remembering the Yatiria's words, she quickly douses the prone kharisiri with fuel, lights a match and drops it on the creature before running back to the cover of the truck.
OOC,[ooc]Showing my ignorance here, but do I have to make a fight roll or somesuch before this to deflect the kharisiri?[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:36 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc]No, the kharisiri missed, so no need to make an opposing roll. Technically I should have asked for a defence roll at the same time as the attack, but I'd rather just move the game along where possible[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:02 pm
by Silver Priest
With the kharisiri being so close, Marcus decides to call on his boxing experience. He drops the rifle and attempts to punch the maniac square in the jaw.
Brawl 75%,[dice]0[/dice] Damage [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]
But the wound from the cleaver throws off his aim, and he misses his opponent.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:25 pm
by Zero
Atauchi shouldered his bow when he noticed Marcus draw into extreme close range with the cleaver-wielding kharisiri. He wasn't about to risk hitting his companion. He withdrew his machete from the sheath on his belt and struck at the creature from the rear.
OOC:   Going to assume a bonus die situation here for speed's sake. If not, just use the first roll.  
Fighting (Brawl) (25%),[dice]0[/dice]
Bonus Die?,[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   I'm officially the worst fighter of all time. :oops:  

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It's a good thing the kharisiri are as bad with guns as we are! ;) Can I see a kharisiri to try to shoot (and probably miss)? I'm leaving for a convention tomorrow afternoon, but I should be able to post one more time before I go.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:15 am
by Raiko
OOC,You can see the kharisiri who is wounded and dropped the shotgun. You'll be at close range, so no bonus die, but 4d6 damage if you hit (24 damage for an extreme success)

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 am
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote: As the kharisiri hits the ground, the shotgun clatters out of it's hands. It's mouth is stretching open unnaturally wide, as it begins to morph into it's true form.

"Back to Hell with you!"
Dr. Sánchez fires three new shots at the karisiri with the shotgun hitting him in the head twice.
failed Firearm Pistol 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
extreme success Firearm Pistol 60%,[dice]2[/dice]
dmg,[dice]3[/dice]
dmg,[dice]6[/dice]
hard success Firearm Pistol 60%,[dice]4[/dice]
dmg,[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   i learned now that i cannot delete rolls... this last 7 is the potential dmg from first failed attack roll.  
OOC:   total dmg = 26  

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 pm
by jp1885
Although shaken from her close shave, Cynthia is determined to keep in the fight. She rushes back to the truck and grabs two bottles of fuel. She then goes around to the cab to speak to Maicu.
<<Hold your nerve; I have seen three kharisiri go down, so there can't be too many left! Apparently Larkin is on his way, so if you see anyone coming up the track, please sound your horn!>>
She scans the approaches to the ranch for any dust clouds, just in case.
Ignore this one,[dice]1[/dice]
Spot Hidden 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Looks like I messed up the dice roll. Ignore the pass as my first roll was a fail.
Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, she heads back to the fray towards Jackson and the others.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm
by Raiko
The small house.

Hernando is unaware of Atauchi approaching him from behind. As the kharisiri ducks out of the way of Marcus' punch Atauchi's machete slams into his back.
OOC,I'm happy to allow Atauchi to surprise Hernando - he'd only just reacted to being confronted by Marcus and I'm okay with your description of approaching from behind. Melee attacks automatically hit unaware opponents in 7E - fighting manoeuvres (disarms, grapples, etc. and ranged attacks still need a hit roll. So your roll was only needed to check for extreme success or a fumble.
OOC:   Please make a damage roll for Atauchi's machete attack.  

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:09 pm
by Raiko
At the Gate

Unsurprisingly the kharisiri collapses to the ground and does not move after being shot repeatedly by Dr. Sánchez and Anderson. Blood pours out from the creatures multiple wounds, it appears to be dead.
OOC:   Yes, just like Luis de Mendoza looked dead.  

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

When she sees that the kharisiri is down, Amy hurries up to it, douses it, and ignites it as she did the other.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:05 pm
by Zero
Atauchi appeared more than a little surprised when the kharisiri moved directly into the path of his swing. The recently sharpened blade struck bone and blood spurt from the wound. The tracker then readied himself for the creature's inevitable retaliation.
Damage (Machete),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   :twisted:  

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:23 am
by kabukiman
Anderson prepares to burn the "dead" creature.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:25 am
by Raiko
At the small house.

Atauchi's blow cuts deeply and bloodily into Hernando's back, smashing the kharisiri to the ground.

Hendando attempts to break his fall using his left arm, but weakened by the gunshot his arm cannot bear his weight and he hits the wooden floor hard. As blood pours over his back, the kharisiri weakly attempts to rise, pushing up with his right hand that still clutches the cleaver tightly.
OOC,Major Wound - CON Roll to remain conscious: [dice]0[/dice] Additional 1d3 damage for the face plant: [dice]1[/dice]
The effort is too much though, and Hernando collapses back to the floor. Letting go of the cleaver, he claws weakly at the ground in a final effort get up, then stops moving.

Even as the creature slips into unconsciousness Atauchi and Marcus can see the gaping wound on Hendando's back mending itself, the blood flow is less now and the kharisiri's skin is knitting back together before their eyes.
OOC:   SAN check please: Lose 1d3 sanity if you fail.  
From further inside the house the investigators can hear a baby crying.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:37 am
by Raiko
At the Gate

Both Amy and Anderson douse the fallen kharisiri in petrol. The fuel lights with a pop as Michael strikes his match, and the creature is quickly bathed in flames.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 am
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez reloads his .38 and enters the main house searching in order from left to right, on alert all the time.
"clearing the main house!"
failed Spot Hidden (62%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:00 am
by jp1885
As she makes her way back from the truck, Cynthia sees Dr. Sanchez heading for the main house.
"Hey, wait up! Don't go in there alone!"
She jogs up to him, passes him a bottle of fuel and readies her pistol. Cocking her ear, she listens for any sounds of movement.
Listen 50%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 pm
by Zero
Atauchi prepared to bring his machete down upon the back of the fallen kharisiri's neck when he suddenly caught a glimpse of the tissues being supernaturally knitted back together right before his very eyes. He hesitated for a moment as his mind struggled with this alien concept, but only for a moment. Then having regained his wits, the Quechua tracker swung the heavy blade downward.
Sanity (64),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Passed the hell out of that San check. :D  

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:52 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus gives a nod of acknowledgment to Atauchi. He looks down at the fallen man and witnesses him starting to heal:
San49%,[dice]0[/dice]
Then he withdraws his pistol, points it directly at the man's head, and fires a single shot.
handgun 75%,assuming I get a bonus for this, given he's prone. [dice]1[/dice] dmg [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:26 am
by Raiko
Blood and small fragments of brain and skull splatter the floor as Marcus executes Hernando.

The kharisiri is now dead.

The wound on his back is still healing though. The rate has slowed down now, but the injury is still definitely slowly healing up.
OOC,Coup de grace is automatic, if you make a deadly attack against an unconscious or otherwise helpless opponent, they're dead. No need to roll for damage.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:05 am
by Zero
Seconds after Atauchi had severed the kharisiri's head from its body, he watched it explode into pieces from the force of the gunshot. He gave Marcus a quick glance, then dragged the corpse outside for immolation.

"We need get child, quickly, then leave." he said.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:42 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Sorry, I'd misread your last post. I missed the last sentence.
Anyway, the back wound continued to heal after you decapitated the kharisiri.  

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:46 am
by Raiko
Hernando's corpse is soon burning outside the small house.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:53 pm
by Silver Priest
"Agreed." Marcus nods, a bit shaken that the man's body was still healing. Would he have regrown his head, or been able to function fine without it? He was glad they were burning them.

He makes his way into the small house, rifle out.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:12 am
by Raiko
Marcus and Atauchi find the baby crying, but unharmed in a crib in the master bedroom of the house. A thorough search of both houses takes ten minutes, apart from baby Julio there is nobody in either house, no more kharisiri are present at tbe moment.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:00 am
by Zero
Atauchi returned his machete to it's sheath then removed the iliklla from his shoulders and laid it between himself and the baby. He carefully snatched the child and bound him within the traditional carrier. The Quechua man then secured the child to his back and moved towards the exit nearest the horses.

"I get child to safety, you make sure all weapons and supplies taken.", he said to Marcus.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:35 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus is happy to do so. He's never been good with kids anyway, though he's relived this one survived, seemingly unharmed by the entire ordeal.

At least she'll have some family after this is all over.

He collects any weapons and useful items the kharisiri may have had, and loads it into the truck. Then he heads outside, examining the scratch the one with the cleaver had given him. It could have been a lot worse but maybe he could patch himself up?
First Aid 50%,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]
After that's all over with, he pulls out another cigarette and inhales in relief.

"That... went better than I was expecting. Nice work everyone. Especially you, ladies." He nods to Cynthia and Amy. "You both held yourself together very well. I've served with men in the war that fell apart at the first sound of combat. Rather be in a foxhole with any of you."

"So, next move is the pyramid? Honestly I don't see why we shouldn't just wait for Larkin and De Mendoza here. We could surprise them and wipe the rest of them out, then visit the pyramid. I don't see why we want to risk having the rest of them at our backs. But I leave it to the more learned among us to give the orders. I just follow em. Usually.
" The ghost of a smile traces his lips.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:13 am
by Anatomist
Silver Priest wrote: "
"So, next move is the pyramid? Honestly I don't see why we shouldn't just wait for Larkin and De Mendoza here. We could surprise them and wipe the rest of them out, then visit the pyramid. I don't see why we want to risk having the rest of them at our backs. But I leave it to the more learned among us to give the orders. I just follow em. Usually.
" The ghost of a smile traces his lips.
"I like the idea of that Marcus, wasn't it for that i think this baby needs its mother as soon as possible, i would send Huisy and the driver to do it, but i can't imagine that the road is safe at the moment... they could get intercepted by Larkin"

"But at the same time i rather confront Larkin here, in daylight, than have him at our back later tonight at the pyramid, who knows how many more kharisiri it might be there"

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:20 am
by kabukiman
"I'm ok with either options. If we manage to kill them as soon they arrive here, that would solve indeed our problems."

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 am
by jp1885
Cynthia lights a cigarette with shaking hands and smiles wryly to Anderson. "Thanks, though it seems I'm a pretty lousy shot. If Jackson hadn't shot that one son of a bitch before he tried to neck me, I'd be in serious trouble!"
She looks at the darkening sky. "It's gotta be what, five or six pm by now? I don't really wanna go mooching around the ruins in the dark. I think some of us oughta search the ranch while others drop the kid off in Puno and then come back. We can then all hole up here for the night. If those going to Puno head off on horseback they should be able to avoid Larkin and we could take turns standing guard at the ranch."
"Oh, if we do that, we'd best keep the artefact with us, rather than leave it in the truck."
She adds as an afterthought.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:36 pm
by Raiko
At the gate
5:00pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

"I think you're right, it's probably a good idea to wait here and ambush Larkin and de Mendoza when they arrive."

Jackson is sat on the tailgate of the truck smoking his pipe.

"It's a good two days hike from the ranch up to where Nayra said the ruins are located. The terrain is safe enough to walk in the daylight, but it will be treacherous for us in the dark. But if the kharisiri prefer the night, they might be able to keep going. Who knows how long their stamina lasts?"

"They'd probably catch us before we reached the ruins. And Cynthia is right, it'll be dark in another hour or so."

"We should hide the bodies, as soon as they stop burning, I start with that one. In the stable I suppose?"

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:49 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote: "They'd probably catch us before we reached the ruins. And Cynthia is right, it'll be dark in another hour or so."
"Cynthia is right, seems the smart idea to ambush them, i think its a good idea try to lure them into the center of the buildings to get a shot at them all at once.
What if we make a fire pit in the middle, start a fire and throw the bodies down there?, im sure they will get to curious on what's burning in the hole to not come and take a peek. That's when we open fire on them, literally, with our firebombs."

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:36 pm
by jp1885
"I agree that we need to hide the bodies - making sure they're definitely dead!"

"I'm not so sure about advertising our presence here though. Didn't Eliza say that the kharisiri planned to trap us in the cellar in time for Larkin's return? If we keep out of sight, he and de Mendoza might think the plan has succeeded and be off-guard."

Cynthia ponders for a second, absentmindedly munching some coca leaves.

"Who is the tallest and thinnest of us? Could we dress someone up all scruffy like a kharisiri - wide hat and all? This person could stand in the porch of the big building and wave in Larkin's truck, before ducking out of sight before they can be recognised."

"Once the truck is in range, we can surround it and shoot and firebomb it with those losers inside."

"We need to get the baby out of here too, but I've changed my mind about sending the kid to Puno now, unless Atauchi has already left - if Larkin hears his cries, that'll work in our favour as he won't suspect we've rescued him."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Amy to Marcus, beaming. "Yes, we'd better stay here and finish the rest of the them rather than risk them coming up behind us. We know they're coming here, and they won't be expecting us to be able to put up a fight. I'm skinny enough, but I'm not tall enough to impersonate one of the kharisiri."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:01 am
by kabukiman
"Well, I suppose then that everyone has agreed: we will stay here. And I'l take care of the bodies near the gate."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:56 pm
by Raiko
Rancho con Vistas al Lago - Highlands near Puno, Peru
5:50pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

By the time the sun sets, the kharisiri bodies have all been moved. So far there is no sign of either Augustus Larkin, nor any more kharisiri.
OOC:   I was under the impression that Atauchi was heading off immediately to Puno on horseback with John.
In which case, he's back by sundown. If not then he could have stuck around to hear Cythia's suggestion to use the baby as bait/background noise  

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:11 pm
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez has taken a discrete window looking down the road, his rifle concealed at the ready.

"Ill watch the road, but they migh get here by horse as well so we must have lookouts north, west an d east as well"

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"The high ground to the west would be a good vantage point," says Amy. "A good spot for those with rifles to hide in ambush. That's what I think anyway, but I haven't actually been to war...well, not until now."

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:45 am
by Silver Priest
"I'll take the west, then," Marcus volunteers.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:08 pm
by jp1885

"How about I hole up in the small house and keep a watch to the north?" Cynthia suggests. "If they approach from any other direction I'm centrally placed to come and help out."

"Like Amy, I'm skinny but too small to disguise myself as a kharisiri. I guess if no-one fits the bill, we could set up a dummy at a window or something." She smirks. "Or am I being silly?"

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:28 pm
by Zero
Atauchi returned from Puno in time to assist in preparation of the ambush. He hadn't been aware of the proposed plan that would have used the child as bait, but he wouldn't have gone along with it anyway. Endangerment of the baby was unacceptable. He worked to conceal himself upon the roof of the smaller structure from where he would use his bow to pick off any hostiles within range.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:47 pm
by Raiko
6:50pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

In the main house Jackson a box of shotgun shells. He reloads the shotgun used by the kharisiri."Anyone want to take this?"

John takes the shotgun in place of the Mauser rifle that he gave toDr. Sánchez earlier, "Maybe I'll be able to hit something with this."

He walks with Cynthia to the smaller house, "I'll stick near you, I don't think my bodyguard would like me being bait."

Jackson suggests that Amy brings her shotgun into the main house, "Hopefully we can still catch them in a crossfire the garden, even without bait."

He also takes up a position inside the main house, close to Sánchez, where the windows offer a good view of the road.

7:05pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

About fifteen minutes after sunset the last glimmers of sunlight vanish behind the high peaks of the northern Andes. A pair of headlights can be seen approaching on the road from Puno, still probably more than a mile away at the moment.
OOC:   Anatomist posted about Sánchez having a rifle, which wasn't the case before, so I've fixed that.
I'm not sure whether HelplessBystander is going to be able to return, so John is an NPC until the end of the prologue.
I think everyone has picked where to go except Amy.  

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:43 pm
by jp1885
While Cynthia waits, arranging to take it in turns with John to keep watch to the north, she reloads her pistol. Then she fills up some petrol bombs, setting them aside within easy reach.
Suddenly, a thought strikes her.
"Who's got the artefact? We haven't left it in the truck have we?"
OOC,I assume Cynthia can't see the lights yet, as she's looking in the opposite direction.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
OOC:   Anatomist posted about Sánchez having a rifle, which wasn't the case before, so I've fixed that.  
OOC:   i statet i took my rifle with me when we left Puno  

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy joins Jackson in the main house, peeking out the window with her shotgun loaded and ready.
OOC,If there's a spare rifle, [b]Atauchi[/b] should get it, as he has some points in the skill.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am
by kabukiman
Anderson is in the main house with Jackson and Sanchez, ready with his pistol. This way the group will maximize the damage.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:10 pm
by Raiko
7:10pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

It takes the approaching vehicle another five minutes to make its way along the rutted dirt road towards the ranch. Instead of driving up to the gate, the truck halts a little over two hundred yards back down the track.

The truck remains stationary with its headlights switched on. Activity can be heard from the truck, voices speaking in Spanish. It is difficult to see what's happening due to the glare of the headlights.
OOC:   For the checks below, those in the main house - and Atauchi on the roof of the small house need regular successes.
Those in the small house, and Marcus on the hill need HARD successes.  
Spot Hidden Success,You can see five people get out of the truck, the glare is too much to make out details.
Extreme Spot Hidden,You're sure that last person to get out is Augustus Larkin.
Listen Success,The man doing most of the speaking is Luis de Mendoza. Without speaking Spanish, you catch him say the names Eliza and Hughes (Jackson's pseudonym from Lima). If your Spanish is at least 50%:[spoiler][b]De Mendoza [/b]says: [color=#BF0000]<<Kill the bitch [b]Eliza[/b], kill her baby and [b]Hughes [/b]too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the [i][b]Father of Maggots[/b][/i].>>[/color][/spoiler]If your Spanish is less than 50%, and you pass a Spanish Roll:[spoiler]De Mendoza says something about killing Eliza and Hughes, the women living and something about the Father of Maggots. [i]If your rolled a [b]HARD [/b]success for Spanish, then read the spoiler above for a better translation.[/i][/spoiler]

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:41 pm
by jp1885
Spot hidden (50%) Normal success,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen (50%) Fail,[dice]1[/dice]
Cynthia nudges John as she sees the truck approaching the ranch. She squints, but can make nothing out through the glare of the headlights. Neither can she make out what's being said in the vehicle.
"What d'you think's going on John?"

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 pm
by Silver Priest
Spot Hidden 33%,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen 25%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 pm
by Zero
Atauchi observed the truck from his vantage upon the roof through his binoculars. His bow rested at the tracker's side, gripped in his left hand. His fingers tightened slightly when he spotted Larkin disembark the vehicle. The Quechua man quietly chewed on a coca leaf while he waited for the trap to be sprung.
Spot Hidden (67%),[dice]0[/dice]
Listen (50%),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Atauchi is fine with letting Huisy use the spare rifle. Another shooter is more beneficial to the group than a minuscule increased chance at success.  
OOC:   No luck on the Listen roll (like everyone else!) but with the binoculars and his extreme success Spot Hidden, Atauchi should be able to read their facial expressions and be able to determine if they remain unaware of the ambush. Gonna roll a Psychology just in case. ;)  
Psychology (10%),[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:54 pm
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez cant quite see nor hear anything from his position at the south window
failed Spot Hidden 62%,[dice]0[/dice]
failed Listen 40%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy can hear every word, she just can't understand most of them. "There are five of them," she whispers to the others. "I recognize de Mendoza's voice. He mentioned Eliza, and you, Jackson, or at least your psuedonym." She tries to parrot the words she heard in the hopes that someone who knows Spanish can translate.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) in the main house: [dice]0[/dice] Listen roll (45% skill) in the main house: [dice]1[/dice] Language (Spanish) roll (2% skill) in the main house: [dice]2[/dice] I'm hoping that with an extreme success on Listen, I can repeat the words exactly even if I don't understand what they mean.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:55 am
by Raiko
7:10pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Thanks to the binoculars and his keen eyesight Atauchi notices something weird.
Atauchi,[b]Larkin's [/b]whole demeanour is different than when [b]Atauchi [/b]saw him in the [i]Bar Cordano[/i] in Lima. He stands straight and proud, almost imperious - showing no sign of his physical weakness from the previous meeting. Most noticeably, even from this distance, thanks to [b]Atauchi's [/b]binoculars he can see that [b]Larkin's [/b]eyes are inhuman - they are completely black! [ooc]Make a SAN check, lose 1d2 sanity if you fail. Binoculars - for longer range sanity loss! ;)[/ooc]
OOC:   That sounds fair enough Mr. Handy, although as this is Amy doing her best to parrot a language that she cannot speak, I cannot allow the automatic success for 50%+ skill.

@Anatomist, Nemesio can make a Spanish roll to see how well if he understand what Amy is trying to say.
If you roll less than an extreme success then I'll also roll for Jackson Elias and Husiy, to see if they do better.  
Spanish - Regular Success,De Mendoza says something about killing Eliza and Hughes, the women living and something about the Father of Maggots. (Hughes was Jackson Elias' pseudonym in Lima). [i]If your rolled a [b]HARD [/b]success for Spanish, then read the spoiler below for a better translation[/i] [spoiler][b]De Mendoza [/b]says: [color=#BF0000]<<Kill bitch [b]Eliza[/b] kill baby and [b]Hughes [/b] kill men who fight spare rest convert men women live [i][b]Father of Maggots[/b][/i] free.>>[/color][/spoiler][i]If your rolled an [b]EXTREME [/b]success for Spanish, then read the spoiler below for an improved grammer translation. [/i] [spoiler][b]De Mendoza [/b]says: [color=#BF0000]<<Kill the bitch [b]Eliza[/b], kill her baby and [b]Hughes [/b]too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the [i][b]Father of Maggots[/b][/i].>>[/color][/spoiler]

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 am
by kabukiman
Anderson: 65%

[dice]0[/dice]

Spanish: 1%

[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 am
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
OOC:   That sounds fair enough Mr. Handy, although as this is Amy doing her best to parrot a language that she cannot speak, I cannot allow the automatic success for 50%+ skill.

@Anatomist, Nemesio can make a Spanish roll to see how well if he understand what Amy is trying to say.
If you roll less than an extreme success then I'll also roll for Jackson Elias and Husiy, to see if they do better.  
regular success Spanish 80%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:45 pm
by Raiko
John - dice rolls,Hard Listen (10%): [dice]0[/dice] Hard Spot Hidden (12%): [dice]1[/dice]
Jackson Elias - dice rolls,Listen: [dice]2[/dice] Spot Hidden: [dice]3[/dice] Spanish: [dice]4[/dice]
Husiy - dice rolls,Listen: [dice]5[/dice] Spot Hidden: [dice]6[/dice] Spanish: [dice]7[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 am
by Raiko
The Small House
7:10pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

"I can't hear anything except my heart pounding," says John.

The Main House
7:10pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

"Damn!"

Jackson stares out of the window, "Larkin and de Mendoza are here, with three others. I think they know we're ready for them, but they must think Eliza is here."

He translates de Mendoza's words for the others, "Kill the bitch Eliza, kill her baby and Hughes too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the Father of Maggots."

On the Track.
7:11pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

One of the men who climbed out of the truck begins to slowly walk towards the farm, backlit by the truck's headlights.

Inside the main house, Jackson Elias says, "That's Larkin, there."
Those who have already passed a Spot Hidden,The other four bad guys are spreading out to either side of the pool of light from the truck – two to either side. Heading towards the farm, but not directly.
OOC:   Those who failed to Spot Hidden before, may roll again now if they wish, to read the spoiler tag above. This is a pushed roll though – failure will mean the truck headlights have dazzled you enough to spoil your night vision. You can see the guy walking in front of the headlights regardless (Larkin).
It's just a regular roll for everyone now.  
The Small House
7:11pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

John whispers, "There's someone walking this way now!"
Pushed Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden (25%): [dice]0[/dice] Oops! A fumble...
"The lights are hurting my eyes!"

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy looks terrified. She's at least relieved that they don't intend to turn her into one of them, but she dreads what else they might do to her. "They're spreading out," she hisses, "two to each side. They're coming this way, but not directly. I think we'd better start fighting as soon as they're close enough to have a decent chance of hitting. We don't want to let them get close."
OOC,How close are they right now? Are they within range for a rifle or a shotgun without penalty? Are they close enough for throwing firebombs?

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 am
by Raiko
OOC:   They're currently about 200 yards away.
It'll take Larkin a couple of minutes to walk along the track.  

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:08 am
by jp1885

Cynthia curses under her breath as John shields his eyes from the glare.
"Step back from the window and let your eyes readjust John."
She squints thought the window, not wanting to damage her own eyesight by staring at the headlights too much.
"No use us both being blinded. Get some fire bombs ready while I try to get my aim straight."
Keeping behind a curtain as much as she can, she waits for the approaching figure to come into range.
OOC,I think I've got this right - I can see someone, but can't make out any details. Could I make a psychology (75%) check to read the body language? If so... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:38 pm
by Raiko
In the Small House
7:11pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Cynthia hasn't ever met Augustus Larkin before, and so she doesn't recognise the man walking along the track towards the house, but it is obvious to her that he is walking fearlessly and calmly towards the ranch. Not at all like a man who knows that he's walking into an ambush.

On the roof.
7:11pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

It is obvious to Atauchi that Larkin and the kharisiri are aware of the ambush. While Larkin walks boldly along the track, his companions are attempting to approach from the flanks. Atauchi saw de Mendoza through his binoculars giving orders before they moved, he couldn't hear what was said, but they looked ready for a fight.
OOC:   I think you must have missed the post above Zero, because you haven't made the roll I needed for Atauchi.  

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:40 pm
by Raiko
7:12pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Another minute passes, Augustus Larkin is now half way along the track to the ranch gate, about 100 yards away from the main house, and can be recognised by anyone who has met him before. However, the way he is walking is not at all like the unhealthy Larkin from the Bar Cordano in Lima. This Larkin holds himself imperiously as he walks purposefully towards the gate.
For those who have already passed a spot hidden,The four kharisiri are now closer than Larkin, moving quickly through the shadows, using what cover is available, they are about 50 yards away and trying to get around the sides of the ranch.
OOC:   Those who haven't passed a Spot Hidden earlier may now make a HARD spot hidden to read the spoiler above. This is no longer a pushed roll, as subjects are further from the truck  

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:46 pm
by jp1885
Hard Spot Hidden at 25% (50% skill value),[dice]0[/dice] :shock:
Shielding her eyes from the glare of the headlights, Cynthia gasps.
"They're trying to get around the buildings, except one guy, who's walking towards us like he's taking a Sunday stroll."
She turns to John.
"Quit blinking and get ready will ya? Watch the back!"
She pulls a firebomb to within easy reach and readies her pistol for when they come into range.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 pm
by Anatomist
botch Spott Hidden 62%,[dice]0[/dice]

Dr. Sánchez don't see a thing

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:45 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Sánchez can see Larkin, and knows that it's Larkin, because he's heard everything Jackson and Amy said.  

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy takes aim at a pair of the approaching kharisiri with her shotgun, ready to fire once things start, though she doesn't want to fire until the others are ready.
OOC,At this range, can I fire without a penalty die? Presumably I get the bonus die for being at longer range with a shotgun. Is the damage at this range 1D6, and can a shotgun blast spread and hit multiple bunched targets like in 6th edition?

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 pm
by Silver Priest
Spot Hidden 28%,[dice]0[/dice]
Marcus still can't see much, but holds position, ready to fire whenever the ambush begins.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"They're about fifty yards away," whispers Amy. "I have a better chance to hit from this range, but they're far enough that I won't cause much damage. Still, maybe we should open fire so that we can keep shooting as they get closer. Let me know when I should start shooting."

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 pm
by Anatomist
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"They're about fifty yards away," whispers Amy. "I have a better chance to hit from this range, but they're far enough that I won't cause much damage. Still, maybe we should open fire so that we can keep shooting as they get closer. Let me know when I should start shooting."
Amy hears Dr.Sánchez breathing calmly as he aims, a second later he stops breathing as he squeezes the trigger. The sound seems extremely loud as the night is so quiet.
extreme success Firearms Rifle .30 Lever Action Carbine 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
potential dmg,[dice]1[/dice]
bonus die for aiming Firearms Rifle .30 Lever Action Carbine 25%,[dice]2[/dice]
potential dmg,[dice]3[/dice]
OOC:   .30 Lever Action Carbine has 5o yrd base range - extreme success first roll, so i guess its dmg x2 = 24  

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:48 am
by Mr. Handy

When Sanchez opens fire, Amy does likewise. To her surprise, she actually hits her target with a powerful blast.
OOC,Firearms Rifle/Shotgun roll (25% base skill) shooting at a kharisiri: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die for very long range: [dice]1[/dice] Damage to kharisiri: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:49 am
by jp1885
At 50 yards from the main house, the kharisiri are still too far away from the small house to be within effective pistol range.
As shots ring out from the main house, Cynthia tries to remain calm and remains in position at a window overlooking the courtyard towards the driveway. Breathing deeply, she takes aim at the nearest bad guy within line of sight, ready to fire when he's within range.
OOC,In other words I'm declaring an aim action :)

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:04 pm
by Raiko
Ranch_Map_2.PNG
The Main House

Dr. Sánchez's shot hits the kharisiri in the head, taking him down immediately. Hopefully it made a big enough mess that the creature won't get back up in a hurry.

A second later the other kharisiri is caught in Amy's shotgun blast, but keeps going, moving inside handgun range as it approaches the house.
OOC:   The sections below are not visible to those in the main house, unless they switch to different windows now. They are in view of the other investigators.  
The Gate

Augustus Larkin walks nonchalantly up to the gate and steps through, as though out for an evening stroll. He pays no attention to the gunfire around him.
Those who have passed a Spot Hidden,[color=#0000BF][b][u]Near the stables.[/u][/b][/color] [color=#008000][i]7:12pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921[/i][/color] Using the stable building to conceal their approach, [b]Luis de Mendoza [/b]and a second [i]kharisiri [/i] reach the wall and climb into the garden over to [b]Larkin's [/b]right.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Please could everyone who hasn't fired a firearm yet make a stealth roll.
If you are going to shoot a firearm before my next update, then don't worry about the stealth roll.
Shooting arrows allows you to still roll for stealth.  
John - Stealth,John - Stealth(20%): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm
by jp1885
Stealth (50%) success,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia gasps as she recognises de Mendoza, alongside another kharisiri.
"It's him!" she hisses.
She quickly leans behind the curtain as the murdering fiend turns his head towards the small house, noticing that John is also keeping out of sight.
Keeping behind the curtain as best she can, she shifts her aim to de Mendoza, waiting for him to come into effective pistol range.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Is Cynthia waiting for de Mendoza and his buddy to come within 15 yards?
They do look like they're heading for the small house - or at least skirting that way around the garden.  

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 pm
by jp1885
Raiko wrote:
OOC:   Is Cynthia waiting for de Mendoza and his buddy to come within 15 yards?
They do look like they're heading for the small house - or at least skirting that way around the garden.  
OOC:   Yes. Having missed most of her previous shots, she wants to maximise her chances of success this time around. She's also conscious of the short range of her pistol and the need for the element of surprise.
However if de Mendoza looks like he's going out of sight, she'll risk a long-range shot.  

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:35 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
Ranch_Map_2.PNG
The Main House

Dr. Sánchez's shot hits the kharisiri in the head, taking him down immediately. Hopefully it made a big enough mess that the creature won't get back up in a hurry.

A second later the other kharisiri is caught in Amy's shotgun blast, but keeps going, moving inside handgun range as it approaches the house.
OOC:   The sections below are not visible to those in the main house, unless they switch to different windows now. They are in view of the other investigators.  
Amy torch that headless one! He pulls out his pistol and moves to a west window to shoot the second wounded kharisiri, if i get the opportunity he will unload a burst of three shots.
success .Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]0[/dice]
potential dmg pistol,[dice]1[/dice]
hard success .Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]2[/dice]
potential dmg pistol,[dice]3[/dice]
success .Firearms Pistol (60%),[dice]4[/dice]
potential dmg pistol,[dice]5[/dice]
OOC:   7+7+7=21 8-)  

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:33 pm
by Silver Priest
As he hears the shots, Marcus decides that's his cue. Taking aim, he shoots the first kharisiri that he can see that comes into range.
rifle 65%,[dice]0[/dice] dmg [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] If he can't see any he'll delay for the time being until he can.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:14 pm
by Zero
Atauchi rapidly withdrew the binoculars from his eyes when he noticed Larkin's apparent change. His pulse began to race as he considered the ramifications. These kharisiri were somehow able to convert people into unearthly things like themselves.
Sanity (64),[dice]0[/dice]
Sanity Loss (1d2),[dice]3[/dice]
When the shots began to ring out, the tracker took aim at de Mendoza and released an arrow.
Firearms (Bow) (35%),[dice]1[/dice]
Damage (1d6),[dice]4[/dice]
Stealth (50%),[dice]2[/dice]
OOC:   Spending 1 point of luck to make my Stealth roll a success. ;)  

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's fifty yards away, and the rest of them will get me if I go out there, especially alone," says Amy, drawing a bead on her target and firing the second barrel. Unfortunately, this blast goes wide.
OOC,I'm not sure which kharisiri are still standing by the time I get to fire. My preference is to again shoot at the one I just wounded, but if he's down, I'll shoot at [b]de Mendoza[/b]. If he's down too, I'll shoot at the one with him. I'm not sure on the range, but I'm guessing the one I wounded is 15 yards away, and [b]de Mendoza[/b] and his buddy look like they're over 20 yards away but within 50 yards. Firearms Rifle/Shotgun roll (25% base skill) shooting at a kharisiri: [dice]0[/dice] Bonus die for long or very long range: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:24 am
by jp1885
Cynthia waits until de Mendoza is more or less within range, mutters a prayer and pulls the trigger.
Firearms EXTREME success (so no problem if at long range),Firearms (Handgun) 60% [dice]0[/dice] Bonus roll (aimed shot) [dice]1[/dice] Potential damage [dice]2[/dice] Impale, so add 12 (1d10+2) - total damage is [b]23[/b] (Have I done that right?)
She grunts in satisfaction as the back of her target's head blossoms in a bloody mess.
"That's for Trinidad you son of a bitch."

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:13 pm
by Raiko
Ranch_Map_3.PNG
OOC:   Amy could only see the remaining kharisiri near the large house.
Larkin is out of sight unless she changes to a different window.
De Mendoza and the remaining kharisiri are out of sight unless she changes windows and makes another spot hidden check.  
Around the Main House

Amy's second shot narrowly misses the kharisiri as he runs towards the corner of the main house, but as he rounds the bend he enters the sights of Marcus on the wooded hill. Marcus' rifle shot hits the kharisiri in the shoulder, but it manages to stagger on as far as a nearby window.

Pulling back a fist to smash through the glass, the kharisiri has but a moment to stare in surprise at the muzzle of Dr. Sánchez's revolver before the first of the three bullets rip into its chest and face.

The monster's lifeless body falls to the ground outside the window.

Meanwhile Jackson Elias takes one of the Molotov cocktails and clambers out of the window nearest to Amy.

"Cover me then Amy, we can't give them chance to heal!"

Jackson leaps out and runs towards the body of the first fallen kharisiri, lighting the rag as he runs.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:15 pm
by Raiko
In the Garden

Luis de Mendoza roars in rage as Atauchi's arrow buries itself into his thigh, the pain does not appear to bother the kharisiri though as he quickly makes his way around the edge of the garden to the small house, and the waiting gun of Cynthia.

"That's for Trinidad you son of a bitch."

De Mendoza's body hits the ground before the last word leaves her lips.

The final kharisiri lunges for the window that Cynthia shot through. John having drawn his own revolver now is ready and fires a single shot which hits the kharisiri in the chest. It hits the wall below the window as it collapses to the ground.
John Handgun,John - Handgun(40%): [dice]0[/dice] Bonus Die:[dice]1[/dice] Potential Damage: [dice]2[/dice]
Across the garden, Augustus Larkin has stepped through the gate and is now strolling along the garden path towards the main house. He walks purposefully and continues to ignore the carnage around him.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Having lunged for the window, is the final [i]kharisiri [/i]inside or outside the small building?
Having stepped back to allow John a shot, Cynthia steps forward again to pump more bullets into the final kharisiri's head.
Handgun (point blank) 60%,First shot [dice]0[/dice]Point blank bonus roll[dice]1[/dice]Second shot [dice]2[/dice]Third shot[dice]3[/dice]Third shot penalty[dice]4[/dice]Damage first shot[dice]5[/dice]Damage third shot[dice]6[/dice]Total damage [b]15[/b]
"You watch this one John - I wanna finish off de Mendoza."

She grabs a firebomb and heads for the door.
OOC,Just re-read the 7th Ed. rules and realised I didn't need to make an extra penalty roll for the 3rd shot (the first penalty would cancel out the point-blank bonus but I thought there would be a second penalty roll, but there isn't)

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:32 pm
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez reloads his gun and leaps out of the window. He will immolate the west window kaharisiri as fast he can.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Her shotgun now empty, Amy climbs out the window after Jackson and goes with him, determined to protect him. She holds it in her left hand while drawing her pistol with her right. "I'll do my best," she says, "but my best isn't very good. Maybe I should light them up while you cover me."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18 am
by Zero
Once the battle had ended, Atauchi lowered himself from the rooftop and made his way toward the body of de Mendoza. As he neared his objective, he noticed the firebomb in the young woman's hand and immediately knew her intention. He had vowed to take the Spaniard's head as a trophy, and so he did. The Quechua tracker separated the creature's head from its body with a swift strike from his machete, and kicked it aside so that it would not be consumed by the flames. He would attempt to replicate the techniques of the Jivaroan peoples, and preserve the head as a tsantsa.

This task completed, he quickly glanced about. "Where Larkin?" he asked the others.
OOC:   Atauchi is going to attempt the process of making a shrunken head from de Mendoza's as a trophy. ;D He's losing his sanity a bit, I feel.  

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:48 am
by jp1885
By the time Cynthia has lit her firebomb, she reaches De Mendoza's corpse to find Atauchi kicking the head aside.
Zero wrote:"Where Larkin?"
"I don't know what he looks like so I can't say for sure, but there was another guy walking along the path towards the main house, all casual like."

As she sets to work setting fire to the corpse, she grimaces at De Mendoza's head, lying in the grass. Her knowledge of indigenous practices giving her a rough idea what the tracker intends to do with it.

"Listen, while I'd love to make a trophy out of that jerk, we can't risk him coming back to life, even if it's just his head. We gotta burn it too."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:57 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus keeps watch from his position. If he can see Larkin he will take a shot, but he's not planning to leave his cover until all the enemy are dead or one of his group is in distress.
ooc,Don't think I can see Larkin from here, but Marcus would shoot if he did.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 am
by kabukiman
OOC Can Anderson see Larkin?

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:59 pm
by Raiko
When Atauchi decapitates de Mendoza's corpse, Larkin turns away from the garden path and begins walking towards Cynthia and Atauchi. He speaks before Cynthia can set the body alight.

"Cynthia, please don't do that. Luis is really rather useful to me."

He keeps walking as he speaks, he is only about six yards from Cynthia and Atauchi.
CYNTHIA ONLY,EDIT - Larkin tried to use magic to enthrall Cynthia, she knows that somehow but isn't affected at all. Please still make the sanity check below though. From this distance Cynthia can see that Larkin's eyes are completely inhuman - pools of empty blackness like the void of space. Make a SAN roll, lose 1d2 sanity if you fail.
KEEPER ONLY - No peeking,Larkin previously spent 6 MP on flesh ward, granting 6d6 armour. [dice]0[/dice] Enthrall Spell - Larkin's POW Roll [dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   I think that Marcus can see Larkin, take a shot if you like.
Anderson can also see him, let's say that he and Husiy moved to the side of the house facing the garden, as Sánchez, Amy and Jackson handled the kharisiri outside the house easily enough.  

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:09 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   jp1885, Larkin fumbled a roll, so I've removed the need for a POW test from the spoiler above.  

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:12 pm
by jp1885
As Larkin speaks, Cynthia shakes her head as if trying to shrug off something pricking at her mind.
SAN roll FAIL,SAN 50%[dice]0[/dice]SAN loss[dice]1[/dice]SAN now [b]49[/b]
She yelps as she notices what's wrong with Larkin, dropping the lit match onto De Mendoza's fuel-soaked corpse by accident, rather than by design.

She backs into the doorway of the small house, pointing her pistol at Larkin.

"W-what the hell are you!? K-keep away from me - get the hell outta my head!"
OOC,If she has time to shoot, she'll pull the trigger, but I don't want to hog all the action :)

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:19 pm
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez will return as fast he can to the gate after immolation the kharisiri.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:09 pm
by Silver Priest
Once Larkin comes into view, Marcus shoots him. There's no witty banter, no reflection.
rifle 65%,[dice]0[/dice] Damage [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

Once the kharisiri near her are burning, Amy puts her pistol back in her waistband and reloads her shotgun.
OOC,I think the rifle does 2D6+4, not 2D6+1D4, but you rolled a 4 on the 1D4 anyway. Well done!

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:36 pm
by Raiko
OOC,Mr Handy is correct, the damage is 2d6 +4 I meant to post that after your previous shot. I have been taking it into account though.
Larkin is shocked that Cynthia resists his will, he stares at the flames engulfing de Mendoza's body.

"How..?"

Larkin's question is cut short by Marcus' rifle shot.
OOC:   You can have a bonus die your shot, even without aiming, because you're laying in the trees.
Bonus die for Marcus [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 pm
by Raiko
Augustus Larkin stumbles backwards a step and glances in surprise at hole in his jacket when the bullet hits him in the chest.

Then looks up towards the wooded hill where Marcus is concealed.
OOC:   Make a stealth roll for Marcus. You get two bonus dice, one for being prone, and one for being in the woods.
You need an exceptional success to succeed.  

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:48 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Atauchi can act before Cynthia fires.
Also Anderson can see all of this from the window.
Larkin won't have time to do anything else before that.  

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus attempts to remain very, very still.
Stealth extreme 15%,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] Fail all three if extreme is 1/4 of skill. Very tempted to spend luck here, but I think for now I will pass. Sorry for so many questions :( ,but do I make a damage roll for my other shot? If so, here it is: [dice]3[/dice] +4

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:01 am
by Zero
Atauchi's gaze affixed upon Larkin when he approached their position. Oddly, despite never having met his companion, their adversary addressed Cynthia by her given name. The Quechua man peered into the black orbs that once appeared as normal human eyes and felt a wave of uneasiness pass over him. There were dark powers at work here, without a doubt.

"Supay..." he muttered then raised his bow and took aim at Larkin's heart.
Firearms (Bow) (35%),[dice]0[/dice]
Damage (1d6),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Heh, 1 damage... deflected off a rib I guess.  
OOC:   I think the boiling process needed for the shrinking process should eliminate any "living" tissue and halt any regeneration. What do you think, Keeper?  

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:22 am
by jp1885

As Larkin staggers backwards, Cynthia empties the final three bullets out of her pistol's ammo clip.
Handgun 60% point blank,1st shot[dice]0[/dice]1st shot bonus[dice]1[/dice]2nd shot[dice]2[/dice]3rd shot[dice]3[/dice]1st damage[dice]4[/dice]2nd damage EXTREME[dice]5[/dice]3rd damage[dice]6[/dice] Total damage [b]33[/b]
She makes quite a mess of him...

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:44 am
by Raiko
Atauchi's arrow literally bounces off Larkin's chest to Atauchi's horror, clattering to the ground at the man's feet.

But Cynthia's bullets have more effect. While the first hits Larkin without causing any visible damage, the second hits him in the heart. Blood is already pouring out as Cynthia's final shot lands a little higher, piercing just beneath Larkin's collar bone.

Larkin looks down at the blood stains spreading quickly over his skirt, then back up at Cynthia with his empty black eyes. His voice is still strong despite his deadly wounds, much stronger and deeper than the voice of Augustus Larkin that Atauchi heard back in Lima.

"This pitiful vessel is finished, but I shall remember you Cynthia Vallier. Few have the strength to resist my will."

As his life ebbs away Larkin's voice finally falters.

"We... will... meet... ag... g... g... ai... nnn."

The black void is drawn back into Larkin's head, revealing the archaeologist's horrified eyes. He wheezes as he draws his last breath.

"Th.. ank... you."

Larkin falls to the floor, convulsing once as he dies. Then a black mist that stinks of death pours out of his mouth, filling the entire garden before being carried away by the gentle evening breeze.
OOC:   SAN checks please, Lose 1 point if you succeed. 1d3 points if you fail.  

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy shudders at the sight. It is one thing to find evidence of the existence of the supernatural, and quite another to see it in action. Whatever had been inside Larkin had not been a kharisiri, but something far worse - and poor Cynthia had gotten its attention. Amy goes over to her and hugs her. "You were amazing!" she says.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 71) for seeing the entity: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:26 am
by Silver Priest
San 49%,[dice]0[/dice] Possible loss [dice]1[/dice] ...Great.
Marcus' eyes go wide and he lets out a curse when he sees the thing possessing Larkin leave his body. He heads down to join the others, reaching for a cigarette as he does so. Everyone notices his hands are shaking.

"That...thing, is gone. So I'd classify this as a success. Now all we have to do is find the pyramid, right? I say we blow the damn thing up, prevent something like this from ever happening again.

"Good job everyone. Especially you, Cynthia. I think Larkin had just spotted me, and I don't even want to imagine what he'd have done to me
."

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:20 am
by Anatomist
OOC:   did Dr.Sanchez see this last scene?  

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:35 am
by jp1885
SAN 49,[dice]0[/dice]SAN loss[dice]1[/dice]SAN now at [b]46[/b]
A slack-jawed Cynthia can only gape as the stinking mist pours out of the collapsing man in front of her. To see this happen is bad enough, especially as whatever the monster was had mentioned her by name, but the thing that hits the student most is when the man's eyes return to normal.
Forget fat-sucking vampires and black-eyed fiends - she has killed a Human being.

For a few seconds it is only Amy's tight hug that keeps her upright as her knees buckle, but a tough ex-street urchin like Cynthia doesn't show weakness for long. Aware that Marcus is also speaking to her, she stops clinging to Amy and straightens up.

"Huh? Oh, yeah... peachy... Ahem, I mean, yeah, I think he tried some kind of magic on me, I could feel it in my head, but somehow it didn't work. I don't think I did anything - more of a screw-up on his part."

She looks down at Larkin's body and shudders.

"So that's Larkin ? Looks like we both had a narrow escape of sorts..."

Escape? Really? You're card is marked now kid... She thinks to herself.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:33 pm
by Raiko
ooc,Dr. Sánchez is the only person who was definitely not in a position to witness Larkin's death. SAN check for John: [dice]0[/dice]
John firebombs the final kharisiri corpse. He is shaken by the manner of Larkin's demise.

"What was that? Was it inside Larkin all along?"

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"It must have been some sort of demon...or something," says Amy. "We can't blow up the pyramid. Not just because we'd be blowing up a priceless piece of antiquity, but also because it would destroy the ward and set free whatever it is that's being held there. We have to repair the ward and then keep the pyramid's location secret."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:26 am
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez updates himself on what happened to Larkin.
"So mystical and strong forces are unleashed here... wonder what awaits at the Pyramids"

Dr.Sánchez will try to search the remains of every kharasiri for any clue or belongings that would help, he will also walk to the truck Larkin and de Mendoza arrived in and do a search there. Clearly affected by the situation Dr.Sánchez is not able to discover anything of interest.
failed Spot Hidden 62%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:56 am
by Zero
Atauchi stared down at Larkin's corpse, not entirely sure what to make of what he had just witnessed. The man had spoken in his own voice at the end, and seemed relieved to be free of the evil spirit which had taken possession of his body. Nevertheless they had survived this encounter and the threat these unnatural creatures presented was ended. Their task to restore the ward could resume at once, presumably with no further interference.
Sanity (62),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   -1 Sanity  

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 am
by jp1885

Cynthia shudders at Dr. Sanchez's words.

"Whatever possessed Larkin was bad enough..."

She pulls herself together.

"I agree with Amy, we can't blow the place up; we need to put the ward back in place. After that we could seal the entrance to stop other people getting in there to damage them."

"I still don't think it's a good idea to travel to the pyramid by night - who knows how many more kharisiri are lurking around? Let's get some rest in a while, taking it in turns to keep watch, and head out first thing in the morning."

She watches Dr. Sanchez start his search.

"Yeah, let's see if they've left any clues. Though someone else can search Larkin's body if they don't mind... Maybe make a drawing of the tattoo he supposedly had? Might be useful."

She heads off to search the truck, hoping that doing something practical will help clear her head.
Spot hidden 50,[dice]0[/dice]
However, apart from a bag on the bench seat, she finds nothing of interest.
OOC,No, I'm not going to spend a point of luck - I have a feeling I'll need it later!

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 am
by kabukiman
"But the leaders dead, the others should easier to defeat right?"- says Anderson.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:25 pm
by Raiko
Rancho con Vistas al Lago - Near Puno, Peru
7:15pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

"Hopefully Michael," Jackson Elias crouches down to examine Larkin's corpse.

"De Mendoza should be dead for good this time, and we can hope that whatever that whatever that awful fog was, it won't reappear.

"I think Cynthia is right though, travelling through the highlands at night would be dangerous even without the risk of meeting other kharisiri. It's going to take us another three or four days to reach the ruins anyway. So best to travel as safely as possible."

"We can borrow a couple of Eliza's llamas to carry the ward and our supplies, Husiy can look after them. What about his cousin? I'd rather send him back to Puno now, while the coast is clear."

Elias opens Larkin's blood soaked shirt - underneath the shirt, Larkin's torso is darkened by corruption, the smell of decay is noticeable even through the strong smell of Larkin's cologne and the lingering smell left by the black fog. It would appear that Larkin was close to death even before Cynthia shot him.

A large tattoo covers most of Larkin's torso, - it resembles a large, ragged spiral that covers Larkin's chest, radiating out from the centre of his sternum. The spiral ends above his diaphragm, where it connects to a stylized, misshapen humanoid figure with large, outstretched hands that appear to end in claws.

Inside Larkin's jacket pocket Jackson finds a case holding an ornate syringe, there is also a nearly full vial of heroin identical to the empty one from his hotel room.

The only thing of interest that can be recovered from the burning bodies of the kharisiri is an immaculately maintained rapier that de Mendoza was carrying. The sword appears to be a genuine 16th century Spanish weapon.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:38 pm
by Raiko
Larkin's Truck
7:20pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

The truck's livery is the same as the two that Nemesio Sánchez saw in the Chavez brothers' haulage yard back in Lima. While Nemesio and Cynthia don't find any documentation or maps in the truck there are some trinkets in a cloth bag sitting on the truck's bench seat.

There are three golden items inside the bag, neither investigator has seen any of the items before (although Larkin did show two of them to those present at his original meeting in Bar Cordano).

The first item is a golden goblet, carved with geometric patterns and circles and inlaid with turquoise.
goblet.jpg
goblet.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 780 times
The second is a pendant in the form of a man holding two rods or staves, embellished with rectangular shapes.
pendant.png
The final item is a small mask, approximately six inches square. It depicts a stylised face, largely made up of blocky geometrical shapes raised from the surface. It is solid, with no eye holes. The back of the mask is unadorned and polished to a high sheen.
mask.jpg

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:58 pm
by jp1885
Although Dr. Sanchez is by far the most experienced archaeologist of the two, Cynthia can't help but cast her eye over the three items.
Archaeology 26,[dice]0[/dice]
"Nope, haven't a clue..."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:20 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Dr. Sánchez can have a bonus die for his archaeology roll, as these items fall within his area of expertise.
He'll also get some details for free, but I'd like a roll first. :)  

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:16 pm
by Anatomist
Dr.Sánchez brings the item near a lantern to examine them with care.
success Archaeology 80%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy does a thorough job of searching the truck. She examines the artifact she hasn't seen before, but it's no more familiar to her than the other two had been.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) searching the truck: [dice]0[/dice] Archaeology roll (41% skill) examining the third artifact: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:29 am
by jp1885

Feeling slightly jealous of their superior knowledge of the subject of antiquities, Cynthia watches as Dr. Sanchez, Anderson and Amy examine the items.

"The workmanship is incredible. Do you recognise them? Is that one a ceremonial cup of some sort? And the other a decorative pendant? What's that face thing - a mask, a mirror?"

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 am
by kabukiman
Anderson: archaeology: 71
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 pm
by Raiko
Dr Sánchez and Anderson,The goblet and the pendant were the items that [b]Larkin [/b]used to entice the investigators to join his expedition. He claimed that they were taken from the ruins by a farmer. However [b]Nemesio [/b]knows that this is a lie. The cup is an Incan item, probably dating from the 15th Century. It certainly wasn't recovered from pre-Columbian ruins. The pendant closely resembles items [b]Dr. Sánchez [/b]has seen at Tiwanaku, and probably dates from the 5th Century. It is possible the this item originates from the pyramid, but only if the construction was more recent than [b]Larkin [/b]suggested. (I'm happy to say that [b]Anderson [/b]also knows the above, although I think he failed his roll in Lima - perhaps he didn't look closely enough at the time, with no reason not to trust Larkin). The mask on the other hand may well be genuinely from the pyramid site. Although the markings are similar to those of items from Tiwanaku, they are not the same and the mask appears to match the artistic style of the golden ward piece. It is curious that Larkin chose to show two "fake" items, from other eras, when he apparently processed a genuine item.
Amy,Amy doesn't find anything of particular interest in the truck. Larkin must have kept his plans in his head.
Larkin's Truck

The back of the truck has some of the supplies intended for the expedition. This includes tents, rations, spades, a pick axe and somewhat surprisingly a crate of dynamite.
OOC:   As the first two to examine the mask please could Cynthia and Nemesio make POW rolls?
Anyone else who examined it can also roll - but I suspect you'll handle it with care once one person succeeds.  
At the Farmhouse

Meanwhile Jackson begins to clear away the bodies of the kharisiri.

"I'm not sure what to do about Larkin's body. Burn it as well?"
OOC:   Nobody took any interest in Larkin's tattoo, but anyone who was present when Jackson revealed it can make an anthropology roll.
Larkins Tattoo - Anthropology,The artistic style of Larkin's tattoo is almost certainly East African in origin and depicts some sort of evil creature or demon. If your roll was an [b]extreme[/b] success, or would have also been good enough for a [b]hard occult success[/b] then you can also get this result:[spoiler]The tattoo depicts [i]The Bloody Tongue[/i], a deity/demon once worshipped by a few particularly vicious tribes in the area. As far as you are aware worship of the Bloody Tongue was stamped out by the British during the Victorian era.[/spoiler]

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:14 pm
by jp1885
POW 50,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Why do I get a bad feeling about this...?  

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 pm
by Anatomist
POW 50,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   spending 2 luck to make it a success  
OOC:   i totally forgot to write about the tattoo, can i roll anthropology as well?  

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:09 pm
by Zero
While Jackson disposed of the remains and others mulled over the artifacts from the truck, Atauchi wordlessly set to making preparations for the group to spend the night at the ranch. Sending Husiy's cousin back to Puno seemed like a good idea. The two of them had been brave, far braver than he expected, truth be told. He studied the perimeter for signs of wild animal activity, specifically jaguar and puma.
Spot Hidden (67%),[dice]0[/dice]
Natural World (40%),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Well, my rolls seem to be back to normal now... :cry:  

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:19 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus glances down at the tattoo when Jackson reveals it.
Anthropology 1%,[dice]0[/dice]
"May as well burn it, I say. Prevent the thing from coming back."

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 pm
by jp1885
OOC,I'm not sure Cynthia can see the tattoo from the truck, especially as I suspect something unpleasant is about to happen to her, but just in case, here's an Anhropology roll (21)[dice]0[/dice] Hah!

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree, burning it's the best thing we can do," says Amy. "Let me just take a look at that tattoo first." She gets down from the truck and examines it with a shudder. "It's East African, and it depicts some sort of evil creature or demon - maybe the same sort of thing he had inside him. There was nothing else of interest in the truck. I guess he didn't write his plans down."
OOC,Anthropology roll (41% skill) examining the tattoo: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 am
by Raiko
OOC:   The truck is/was 200 yards away from the farm.
I guess that maybe it makes sense if you've driven it closer now.  
At the Truck

The mask seemed perfectly 'mundane' to Cynthia before she passed it on to Dr. Sánchez. The back of it is certainly shiny enough that it's more likely a mirror than a mask. Especially as it is a little too small and lacks eye holes.
OOC:   Cynthia failed her POW roll, so nothing good or bad happened to her.
I need POW rolls for Nemesio Sánchez and Michael Anderson (Anderson's will probably only be needed if Sánchez fails).

I'll assume that Amy only had a quick look at the mask / mirror, so I don't need a roll for her - it's too confusing for the narrative now if she ends up back at the truck).  

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:02 am
by jp1885
OOC:   Sanchez has rolled POW - https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/vi ... 60#p214769  
:)

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 am
by kabukiman
Anderson power: 70%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:48 am
by jp1885
Feeling rather peeved that no one has told her what the items are, Cynthia scuffs her feet in the dirt and walks sulkily back to the ranch, picking up snatches of the conversation as she goes.
"I came up a blank too. East African eh? Weird... I guess we should burn Larkin with the rest of them, just in case. Keep that swanky sword though!"
She nods toward the stables.
"We letting our driver head back to Puno before it gets too late?"

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:02 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Sorry Anatomist, I completely missed that post.  
Nemesio slowly turns the golden mask around as he studies the design. As he scrutinises the reflective back surface he suddenly goes rigid and stares at it wide eyed in horror...
Sánchez,...[b]Dr Sánchez [/b]is bombarded with a million ghastly visions inside his mind, each too fast for the human brain to fully comprehend. A few of the most vivid remain like memories of half-forgotten dreams... [i]...thousands of people, men and women of every race, perform bloody and orgiastic rites atop a great mountain... ...an ancient stepped pyramid on a plateau breaks apart as greasy white tendrils dripping with huge maggots reach upwards from its remains... ...a grassy island in a misty marsh... terrified men and women struggle, chained to a stone column... hooded and robed figures chant around them... a shadow descends out of the moonlight......[/i] The final vision is most vivid of all: [i]...a small man sits huddled in a corner of a dingy room feverishly painting... something... the doctor steps closer... ...the painting depicts a steaming jungle... no it is the great mountain... he steps closer again... not the mountain... the plateau... the pyramid is cracked, but not yet broken... ...[b]Dr Sánchez [/b]is inside the painting now... ...something stirs inside the pyramid, beyond the crack... ...this is not a painting... ...IT senses the doctor watching... ...IT is aware of him... ...IT reaches out IT'S mind to make a connection... [/i] ...[color=#FF0000][b]GAZE INTO THE DARKNESS, BEHOLD MY MAJESTY[/b][/color]... [i]...the doctor steps closer... peers into the darkness inside the pyramid...[/i] [ooc]OOC, The visions last less than a second. Make a SAN check - Lose 1d3 sanity if you succeed / 1d6 sanity if you fail.[/ooc]
...the mirror slips out of the doctor's hands and the priceless gold relic clatters onto the floor of the truck.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:43 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
...the mirror slips out of the doctor's hands and the priceless gold relic clatters onto the floor of the truck.
Current Sanity: 47,[dice]0[/dice]
san loss,[dice]1[/dice]
Dr.Sánchez eyes go wide and his pupils shrinks visibly. He suddenly leans over the edge of the truck side and vomits.
"A thing! there's a thing inside it! inside the mirror! inside the pyramid! and maggots! it knows im here! oh God almighty! it told me to GAZE INTO THE DARKNESS and BEHOLD its MAJESTY! "
Dr.Sánchez vomits again, and again until nothing more comes out then thick bile.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's too bad Professor D'Estaing didn't join us," says Amy. "He would have loved that sword. It should be yours, though, Cynthia. To the victor go the spoils! I agree, the driver should go back to Puno while there's time. We'll stay at the ranch tonight and set out in the morning."
OOC,Oops, sorry. :oops: I'd forgotten where the truck was, but yes, we could have brought it closer.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:23 pm
by jp1885
Cynthia grins, taking the sword.

"Well if no one else wants it, I guess there's a certain poetic justice to me taking it, considering how he shanked me back in Lima."

She is about to stash the weapon away when she becomes aware of a commotion at the truck.
Anatomist wrote:"GAZE INTO THE DARKNESS and BEHOLD its MAJESTY! "
She turns to see the learned archaeologist vomiting from the truck.

"What the-? Dr. Sanchez! Are you okay?"

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:37 pm
by Anatomist
jp1885 wrote:
"What the-? Dr. Sanchez! Are you okay?"
"I had some sort of vision i think... under the... the... pyramid! something dark and dangerous was luring my mind into it" Dr.Sánchez wipes his mouth and sits down lighting a cigarette. Im better now. I need to rest. With that he fetches his backpack at the truck they arrived, walks into the ain house and lies down on the sofa falling asleep

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:07 pm
by Silver Priest
"So now the thing is sending us visions..." Marcus mutters and shakes his head.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That must be the thing that the pyramid's wards are containing," says Amy with a shiver. "The Father of Maggots. It can communicate through the mask like some kind of radio!"

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:40 pm
by jp1885

"Well forgive me for not tuning in..."

Cynthia gingerly fishes the mask from the floor of the truck, using a handkerchief, just in case. Grim-faced, she grabs a spare sack and stuffs it inside, before placing it back in the back of the vehicle.

"Let's keep this thing at arm's length huh? Well, bang goes any hope that the pyramid is empty. Something's waiting for us - trying to get into our heads. We need to be prepared - more firebombs and such."

She taps her head.

"And we gotta try to concentrate and keep it out of here."

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:34 pm
by Zero
Atauchi finished his rather uneventful walk of the perimeter. As the tracker approached the group, he observed the aftermath of Doctor Sanchez's episode. Something appeared to be wrong with the man, though he could not tell what.

"He okay?" he queried.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:31 am
by kabukiman
"So, we cannot use this object, but we must prevent the others to get. Why don't we simply destroy it?"- asks Anderson.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:53 am
by jp1885
Cynthia answers Atauchi.

"He took a call from the Father of Maggots through something we found in Larkin's truck. I don't think it was a pleasant experience."

She turns to Anderson.

"Honestly? I've no idea. If you think destroying it will help, then be my guest."

She stretches her arms and fights off a yawn.

"I'll go and see how Dr. Sanchez is and take first watch from the big house."

She heads back into the building.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:44 pm
by Silver Priest
"If it can be used by this Father of Maggots to try and influence it, I think it's better we destroy it. Might have been how Larken fell prey to all this."

Marcus volunteers for second watch.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"I guess we could melt it down, if we can generate enough heat," says Amy. "I'll take last watch."

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:47 am
by Zero
Atauchi lingered near the group for a few moments longer. He heard the others discussing the destruction of the artifact. What if the object was necessary to complete their task? He wished that the yatiria was with them now. Her advice would be most welcome.

"Unless we sure it right move, maybe not destroy object yet. Maybe we need it." Atauchi recommended.

The tracker then set to the creation of a simple ground-level alarm system utilizing his knowledge of bushcraft and the natural environment. If someone or something were to approach them in the night, he wanted those on watch duty to be aware of it.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:13 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia checks up on a sleeping Dr. Sanchez before rejoining the others. She catches the tail-end of the conversation.

"I've been thinking about that mask thing. It looks pretty old and would probably fetch a lot of dough on the market, but we've seen the effect it had on Dr. Sanchez. If it allows whatever's in the pyramid to keep tabs on us, or brings that smoke thing back, well, we can't risk it. I vote we destroy the damn thing."

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't sell a thing like that to anyone," says Amy, "but maybe Atauchi is right. We can hold on to it for now. We can always destroy it later."

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:12 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia shrugs, knowing when she's out-voted.

"Okay, but let's keep it covered up. When we set off, we're gonna be more vulnerable than we were waiting in ambush at the ranch. I think we should prime some of those siphon pumps we that brought with us, with kerosene. We'll be we're ready to use them if any kharisiri attack us en-route, or inside the pyramid.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:25 am
by Raiko
OOC:   The adeventure continues in The Ancient Ruins