Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Re: [IC]Prologue: The Ranch

Post by Raiko »

Rancho con Vistas al Lago - Highlands near Puno, Peru
7:10pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

It takes the approaching vehicle another five minutes to make its way along the rutted dirt road towards the ranch. Instead of driving up to the gate, the truck halts a little over two hundred yards back down the track.

The truck remains stationary with its headlights switched on. Activity can be heard from the truck, voices speaking in Spanish. It is difficult to see what's happening due to the glare of the headlights.
OOC:   For the checks below, those in the main house - and Atauchi on the roof of the small house need regular successes.
Those in the small house, and Marcus on the hill need HARD successes.  
Spot Hidden Success,You can see five people get out of the truck, the glare is too much to make out details.
Extreme Spot Hidden,You're sure that last person to get out is Augustus Larkin.
Listen Success,The man doing most of the speaking is Luis de Mendoza. Without speaking Spanish, you catch him say the names Eliza and Hughes (Jackson's pseudonym from Lima). If your Spanish is at least 50%:[spoiler][b]De Mendoza [/b]says: [color=#BF0000]<<Kill the bitch [b]Eliza[/b], kill her baby and [b]Hughes [/b]too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the [i][b]Father of Maggots[/b][/i].>>[/color][/spoiler]If your Spanish is less than 50%, and you pass a Spanish Roll:[spoiler]De Mendoza says something about killing Eliza and Hughes, the women living and something about the Father of Maggots. [i]If your rolled a [b]HARD [/b]success for Spanish, then read the spoiler above for a better translation.[/i][/spoiler]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Spot hidden (50%) Normal success,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen (50%) Fail,[dice]1[/dice]
Cynthia nudges John as she sees the truck approaching the ranch. She squints, but can make nothing out through the glare of the headlights. Neither can she make out what's being said in the vehicle.
"What d'you think's going on John?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Spot Hidden 33%,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen 25%,[dice]1[/dice]
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Zero »

Atauchi observed the truck from his vantage upon the roof through his binoculars. His bow rested at the tracker's side, gripped in his left hand. His fingers tightened slightly when he spotted Larkin disembark the vehicle. The Quechua man quietly chewed on a coca leaf while he waited for the trap to be sprung.
Spot Hidden (67%),[dice]0[/dice]
Listen (50%),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Atauchi is fine with letting Huisy use the spare rifle. Another shooter is more beneficial to the group than a minuscule increased chance at success.  
OOC:   No luck on the Listen roll (like everyone else!) but with the binoculars and his extreme success Spot Hidden, Atauchi should be able to read their facial expressions and be able to determine if they remain unaware of the ambush. Gonna roll a Psychology just in case. ;)  
Psychology (10%),[dice]2[/dice]
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Anatomist »

Dr.Sánchez cant quite see nor hear anything from his position at the south window
failed Spot Hidden 62%,[dice]0[/dice]
failed Listen 40%,[dice]1[/dice]
~Bony End of Story~
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy can hear every word, she just can't understand most of them. "There are five of them," she whispers to the others. "I recognize de Mendoza's voice. He mentioned Eliza, and you, Jackson, or at least your psuedonym." She tries to parrot the words she heard in the hopes that someone who knows Spanish can translate.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) in the main house: [dice]0[/dice] Listen roll (45% skill) in the main house: [dice]1[/dice] Language (Spanish) roll (2% skill) in the main house: [dice]2[/dice] I'm hoping that with an extreme success on Listen, I can repeat the words exactly even if I don't understand what they mean.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

7:10pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Thanks to the binoculars and his keen eyesight Atauchi notices something weird.
Atauchi,[b]Larkin's [/b]whole demeanour is different than when [b]Atauchi [/b]saw him in the [i]Bar Cordano[/i] in Lima. He stands straight and proud, almost imperious - showing no sign of his physical weakness from the previous meeting. Most noticeably, even from this distance, thanks to [b]Atauchi's [/b]binoculars he can see that [b]Larkin's [/b]eyes are inhuman - they are completely black! [ooc]Make a SAN check, lose 1d2 sanity if you fail. Binoculars - for longer range sanity loss! ;)[/ooc]
OOC:   That sounds fair enough Mr. Handy, although as this is Amy doing her best to parrot a language that she cannot speak, I cannot allow the automatic success for 50%+ skill.

@Anatomist, Nemesio can make a Spanish roll to see how well if he understand what Amy is trying to say.
If you roll less than an extreme success then I'll also roll for Jackson Elias and Husiy, to see if they do better.  
Spanish - Regular Success,De Mendoza says something about killing Eliza and Hughes, the women living and something about the Father of Maggots. (Hughes was Jackson Elias' pseudonym in Lima). [i]If your rolled a [b]HARD [/b]success for Spanish, then read the spoiler below for a better translation[/i] [spoiler][b]De Mendoza [/b]says: [color=#BF0000]<<Kill bitch [b]Eliza[/b] kill baby and [b]Hughes [/b] kill men who fight spare rest convert men women live [i][b]Father of Maggots[/b][/i] free.>>[/color][/spoiler][i]If your rolled an [b]EXTREME [/b]success for Spanish, then read the spoiler below for an improved grammer translation. [/i] [spoiler][b]De Mendoza [/b]says: [color=#BF0000]<<Kill the bitch [b]Eliza[/b], kill her baby and [b]Hughes [/b]too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the [i][b]Father of Maggots[/b][/i].>>[/color][/spoiler]
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Anderson: 65%

[dice]0[/dice]

Spanish: 1%

[dice]1[/dice]
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Raiko wrote:
OOC:   That sounds fair enough Mr. Handy, although as this is Amy doing her best to parrot a language that she cannot speak, I cannot allow the automatic success for 50%+ skill.

@Anatomist, Nemesio can make a Spanish roll to see how well if he understand what Amy is trying to say.
If you roll less than an extreme success then I'll also roll for Jackson Elias and Husiy, to see if they do better.  
regular success Spanish 80%,[dice]0[/dice]
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

John - dice rolls,Hard Listen (10%): [dice]0[/dice] Hard Spot Hidden (12%): [dice]1[/dice]
Jackson Elias - dice rolls,Listen: [dice]2[/dice] Spot Hidden: [dice]3[/dice] Spanish: [dice]4[/dice]
Husiy - dice rolls,Listen: [dice]5[/dice] Spot Hidden: [dice]6[/dice] Spanish: [dice]7[/dice]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Small House
7:10pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

"I can't hear anything except my heart pounding," says John.

The Main House
7:10pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

"Damn!"

Jackson stares out of the window, "Larkin and de Mendoza are here, with three others. I think they know we're ready for them, but they must think Eliza is here."

He translates de Mendoza's words for the others, "Kill the bitch Eliza, kill her baby and Hughes too. Kill any men who fight back, spare the rest. We convert the men, but the women live until they free the Father of Maggots."

On the Track.
7:11pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

One of the men who climbed out of the truck begins to slowly walk towards the farm, backlit by the truck's headlights.

Inside the main house, Jackson Elias says, "That's Larkin, there."
Those who have already passed a Spot Hidden,The other four bad guys are spreading out to either side of the pool of light from the truck – two to either side. Heading towards the farm, but not directly.
OOC:   Those who failed to Spot Hidden before, may roll again now if they wish, to read the spoiler tag above. This is a pushed roll though – failure will mean the truck headlights have dazzled you enough to spoil your night vision. You can see the guy walking in front of the headlights regardless (Larkin).
It's just a regular roll for everyone now.  
The Small House
7:11pm - Tuesday 20th March, 1921

John whispers, "There's someone walking this way now!"
Pushed Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden (25%): [dice]0[/dice] Oops! A fumble...
"The lights are hurting my eyes!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy looks terrified. She's at least relieved that they don't intend to turn her into one of them, but she dreads what else they might do to her. "They're spreading out," she hisses, "two to each side. They're coming this way, but not directly. I think we'd better start fighting as soon as they're close enough to have a decent chance of hitting. We don't want to let them get close."
OOC,How close are they right now? Are they within range for a rifle or a shotgun without penalty? Are they close enough for throwing firebombs?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   They're currently about 200 yards away.
It'll take Larkin a couple of minutes to walk along the track.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia curses under her breath as John shields his eyes from the glare.
"Step back from the window and let your eyes readjust John."
She squints thought the window, not wanting to damage her own eyesight by staring at the headlights too much.
"No use us both being blinded. Get some fire bombs ready while I try to get my aim straight."
Keeping behind a curtain as much as she can, she waits for the approaching figure to come into range.
OOC,I think I've got this right - I can see someone, but can't make out any details. Could I make a psychology (75%) check to read the body language? If so... [dice]0[/dice]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

In the Small House
7:11pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Cynthia hasn't ever met Augustus Larkin before, and so she doesn't recognise the man walking along the track towards the house, but it is obvious to her that he is walking fearlessly and calmly towards the ranch. Not at all like a man who knows that he's walking into an ambush.

On the roof.
7:11pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

It is obvious to Atauchi that Larkin and the kharisiri are aware of the ambush. While Larkin walks boldly along the track, his companions are attempting to approach from the flanks. Atauchi saw de Mendoza through his binoculars giving orders before they moved, he couldn't hear what was said, but they looked ready for a fight.
OOC:   I think you must have missed the post above Zero, because you haven't made the roll I needed for Atauchi.  
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

7:12pm - Tuesday 22nd March, 1921

Another minute passes, Augustus Larkin is now half way along the track to the ranch gate, about 100 yards away from the main house, and can be recognised by anyone who has met him before. However, the way he is walking is not at all like the unhealthy Larkin from the Bar Cordano in Lima. This Larkin holds himself imperiously as he walks purposefully towards the gate.
For those who have already passed a spot hidden,The four kharisiri are now closer than Larkin, moving quickly through the shadows, using what cover is available, they are about 50 yards away and trying to get around the sides of the ranch.
OOC:   Those who haven't passed a Spot Hidden earlier may now make a HARD spot hidden to read the spoiler above. This is no longer a pushed roll, as subjects are further from the truck  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Hard Spot Hidden at 25% (50% skill value),[dice]0[/dice] :shock:
Shielding her eyes from the glare of the headlights, Cynthia gasps.
"They're trying to get around the buildings, except one guy, who's walking towards us like he's taking a Sunday stroll."
She turns to John.
"Quit blinking and get ready will ya? Watch the back!"
She pulls a firebomb to within easy reach and readies her pistol for when they come into range.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

botch Spott Hidden 62%,[dice]0[/dice]

Dr. Sánchez don't see a thing
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   Sánchez can see Larkin, and knows that it's Larkin, because he's heard everything Jackson and Amy said.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy takes aim at a pair of the approaching kharisiri with her shotgun, ready to fire once things start, though she doesn't want to fire until the others are ready.
OOC,At this range, can I fire without a penalty die? Presumably I get the bonus die for being at longer range with a shotgun. Is the damage at this range 1D6, and can a shotgun blast spread and hit multiple bunched targets like in 6th edition?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Prologue and Pre-game threads”