2 Genius Loci: Visiting Kirby State Hospital

Doors to Darkness yawn open to reveal three hair raising tales!

Genius Loci - Not all is well at the Kirby State Lunatic Asylum and it’s down to the investigators to heed a friend in need’s cry.
Ties That Bind - Strange rock formations have been found in Mrs. Carrington’s prized fountain. But these are like no rocks seen before!
None More Black - The death of a Rice University student leads the investigators into unsavoury neighbourhoods and dark business dealings.

Are you the Dreamer or are you the Dream? Shadows flitting at the corners of your vision, haunting laughter just outside your window and inhuman, eerie sounds in the middle of the night, all of this and more await the unwary once you open the Doors to Darkness!

Moderator: Umbral Dragon

Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Re: 2 Genius Loci: Visiting Kirby State Hospital

Post by Umbral Dragon »

The orderlies look at coach.
"I'm sorry sir, but we cannot leave you alone here for security reasons. We don't mean to be rude, it's just protocols, please come with us to see Dr. Berger, I'm sure he'll understand..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He won't be alone," says Carl. "I'll stay with him and make sure nothing happens."
OOC,You also have the option of spending 20 Luck if you really want to in order to make that roll a success by changing it from a 71 to a 51, instead of pushing the roll.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Solomon picks the lock and he sees two stainless steel medicine cabinets, one on each side of the room, along with a shelf of trays and paper cups; and, a small table next to the sink. He experiences a mild sense of vertigo, weakness, and chills. He tries to shake it off, but it seems to get stronger...
Spoiler:
CON roll
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Borderline »

con@55,[dice]0[/dice]
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

I take a step to the side to allow Jimmy access. Picking up my briefcase I try to shake off the strange feeling. "Somethin ain't right."
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Jimmy gave one last look up and down the hallway, then stepped inside the room. He glanced sideways towards Jimmy when he announced that something wasn't quite right, though he had no idea what the other man had been referring to. He then quietly shut the door behind them both.

"What's not right?" the mobster replied as he began to scan the room's contents.
Spot Hidden (50%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   If Jimmy notices the odor, he'll quickly look for a window to slide open for ventilation.  
OOC:   Damn it, failed the Spot Hidden again. Well, unless Solomon passes, I guess we'll be emptying everything into our bags. :D  
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

"Just got a bad feeling about this place, let's get this over with." Taking a look around.
spot hidden@45,[dice]0[/dice]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

There appears to be a stand-off between the orderlies and the investigators.

"I don't suppose we could rush 'em and take the keys?" Coach whispers to the others. "We either go see the Doc and risk our pal being taken away, or stand our ground."

He turns to the orderlies.

"Is it 'protocol' to hold someone against their will? Y'all could bring your boss here and we can discuss it like civilised folk."
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Solomon and Jimmy find the cabinets locked as well. Among the cups and trays they also see that there are mouse droppings here and there.
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

The Orderlies look serious. The larger one has a hand on a bulge in his pocket while the other is handling the whistle he has on a string around his neck.
"Now let's not split hairs fellas, I'm sure Dr. Berger will see reason. However, we still can't leave you here. Please come with us...
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Jimmy the Chin couldn't help but notice the lingering odor as well the rodent droppings as he surveyed the room. The gangster began to suspect that the staff seldom used this room, if at all. It occurred to him that these cabinets could very well be packed full of expired medications. If that were the case then their value would be far less to any prospective buyer he might find. Growing frustrated, Jimmy again glanced in the Wheel's direction.

"Hey, see if you can get one of these open." he said and gestured towards one of the cabinets.

Jimmy's mind continued to work. This was just one storeroom, and there could be others. However, if the staff wasn't using medication to control its patients, then how exactly were they managing it?
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

locksmith51,[dice]0[/dice]
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Wheel opens the cabinets with ease. Inside are 7 boxes of unexpired meds.
Each box contains 24 bottles of 100ct. Pills of various strengths and types.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How about one of you stays here with me while the other goes with the others to talk to Dr. Berger?" suggests Carl in a reasonable tone. "I'm conducting a safety inspection, and I can't take a chance on anything being concealed in my absence."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

The orderlies laugh quietly, and the smaller one says,"Ranger, you think these here patients are going to do a switcharoo on you and us? Now that's a bit illogical don't you think? They don't seem to mind being in their rooms, but you seem to think they're just going to up and out of here? Trust me sir, nothing's gonna be different when we come back."

"I think it's time to go," says the big one. He is suddenly very still and appears to be waiting for you...
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

I know the drill by now, acting quickly I set the briefcase down flat and look to see that Jimmy is watching the door. I open the briefcase tucking the grenades handle into my pant line under my jacket and set the sawed off next to the briefcase. Depending on size I should be able to fit about 15-30 bottles in the briefcase. Standing I close the briefcase and place one more bottle of cocaine and morphine in each jacket pocket. Next I tuck the sawed off into my pants under my jacket opposite the grenade. It's a bit of an awkward fit but I can hold it in place with my left hand while my right hand holds the briefcase. "What do you wanna do about the rest Jimmy?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

"I have a solution" suggests Joseph.

"We'll bring this patient with us. He'll make an excellent subject for our article, and we'll be able to get some pictures of him with Dr. Berger. What do you say, gentlemen?" Joseph addresses the orderlies. "That way you'll be able to keep an eye on him".
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Relieved that this isn't going to turn nasty, Coach grins, jerking this thumb towards Joseph.

"This guy talks a lotta sense. Surely the patient will benefit from the exercise?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's an excellent idea," says Carl.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

"That does sound like a good idea. Too bad it ain't going work," says the smaller one (Richards).
"Let me be explicit and clear with you this time. You're on state property, and we are duly sworn by the State of Texas to take any measures necessary to keep the peace and stability of this establishment.
"Sirs, and especially you Mr. Ranger, please understand that I am officially warning you that I've been requesting that you accompany me, and orderly Johan here, to the front office; and, if you do not comply, we will need to take this up with Dr. Berger as to why you've persisted in being opposed to our authority.
"In the meantime, we may have to take it upon ourselves to assess the current situation and the risks to the patients and personnel - which in my humble opinion, might require that we expedite to the next level of enforcement.
"So, what's it going to be fellas? Are we going to have to get rough, or are you going to come willingly?" says Richards with a smirk.

Return to “Doors to Darkness”