2 Genius Loci: Visiting Kirby State Hospital

Doors to Darkness yawn open to reveal three hair raising tales!

Genius Loci - Not all is well at the Kirby State Lunatic Asylum and it’s down to the investigators to heed a friend in need’s cry.
Ties That Bind - Strange rock formations have been found in Mrs. Carrington’s prized fountain. But these are like no rocks seen before!
None More Black - The death of a Rice University student leads the investigators into unsavoury neighbourhoods and dark business dealings.

Are you the Dreamer or are you the Dream? Shadows flitting at the corners of your vision, haunting laughter just outside your window and inhuman, eerie sounds in the middle of the night, all of this and more await the unwary once you open the Doors to Darkness!

Moderator: Umbral Dragon

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: 2 Genius Loci: Visiting Kirby State Hospital

Post by jp1885 »

"I guess we gotta move fast, else those mooks will be cleaning the place up before any official investigation can take place. I don't like the idea of leaving our new pals alone in there though."

He pauses for a second, thinking.

"And what about this Andrew MacBride guy? Seems like he's got the lowdown on the place - how do we go about speaking to him now we've been thrown out?"
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Lawson moves to let the two of them through.
"Listen, tell Tim, we got a little extra surprise for him when he gets back," he smiles and winks.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Jimmy took one last glance at each man's face and name tag before he continued towards the exit. He had just decided to have each of them rubbed out. Once he made it back to his turf he would make a few calls and then it would be curtains for them.
Spot Hidden (50%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Jimmy doesn't trust the orderlies and will periodically glance back for trouble.  
OOC:   Also, finally, that's a hard success on the Spot Hidden roll.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, he'd be the one to talk to," says Carl. "We're not going to get back in there without a court order, though, so we should focus on that. Certain people could try to sneak inside, but I wouldn't recommend that. I hope they haven't gotten into any trouble."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Coach nods.

"I guess we leave them to it then."
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Your group meets at "El Alteño" Mexican restaurant for lunch. The waitress "Sara" takes your orders, smiling particularly at the Sheriff.
Attachments
Sara
Sara
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tired and shaken up by the day's events, Coach jabs a tortilla chip into his guacamole, reflecting ruefully on how attractive women like the waitress once used to look at him that way.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Despite it being a bit beneath his station as a Lieutenant, Jimmy the Chin was in a relatively positive mood after successfully pulling off a minor heist at the Kirby Hospital. He more or less ignored the fact that the waitress had displayed more of an interest in the cowboy rather than a successful businessman like himself. Her loss, he imagined. He quickly gave his order to the woman and then turned his eye towards the ranger. The gangster slipped a hand into his jacket (and pulled out his gun, j/k!) and pulled out a pair of glass medicine bottles marked "cocaine" and "morphine". He slid them across the table towards the lawman.

"There you go, Cowboy. This is what the docs are pumpin' their patients full of. If I were you, I'd check to see if all their permits and licenses are in order to be usin' this stuff." he said.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Buenos tardes, Sara," says Carl, smiling back at her. "Yo quiero una quesadilla, por favor." He examines the medicines that Jimmy showed him. "I'm not going to ask how you came by those. I'll check, but I don't think you need any special licenses for those. They're pretty standard medications, if a bit habit-forming."
OOC,Cocaine and morphine were perfectly legal in 1920, I believe.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

"This is a State funded asylum. I'm guessing the director has full run of the place. He probably answers to a state board on paper. None of the members on that board want a bunch of truly crazy people roaming thier city streets and the rest are poor people that didn't have anywhere else to go. By the time the law cuts through the red tape god knows what could happen to Larry. And even of you do break down thier door how do you hold them accountable. There's no oversight governing treatments across the country. Each asylum is like a little town and the director is the king."
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

OOC:   Did I get any odea of the size and likely layout of the place?  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Coach leans back in his chair. Knowing nothing about drugs (apart from the painkillers he occasionally takes for his worn-out joints), he doesn't have an opinion on the subject. However he is troubled by the intimation that less-than-legal action might have to be taken.

"I agree with Agent Norris that we have to report all of this, but Mr. Bleeker here is also right: they'll have that place buttoned down so much that any legal action will take months to play out. We might have to take, uh, alternative action if we're gonna spring our pal out."
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Zero wrote:Jimmy took one last glance at each man's face and name tag before he continued towards the exit. He had just decided to have each of them rubbed out. Once he made it back to his turf he would make a few calls and then it would be curtains for them.
Spot Hidden (50%),[dice]220342:0[/dice]
OOC:   Jimmy doesn't trust the orderlies and will periodically glance back for trouble.  
OOC:   Also, finally, that's a hard success on the Spot Hidden roll.  
Spot Hidden: you notice that the orderlies have needle scars along the inside of their arms, they have their sleeves loosely rolled up to the elbows.
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Borderline wrote:
OOC:   Did I get any odea of the size and likely layout of the place?  
You did see that the Labyrinthine halls and rooms are almost endless. The place is enourmous, rivaling the size of a small town and it's also set on 14 acres of land.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Jimmy the Chin was moderately amused with the lawman's response. Clearly, the other man knew that the medications were obtained by less than legal methods, but his investigation into the activities within the asylum outweighed his own for the time being. As long as the ranger minded his own business where his own endeavors were concerned, they wouldn't have any problems. Besides, it was always smart to keep one's friends close by, but one's enemies even closer, and the law certainly was Jimmy's natural enemy.

He looked Carl straight in the eye and said, "That means I don't have to lie to you about it, which is Jake with me". He paused and look around at the others at the table, then asked, "Say, did you fellas meet anyone named Timothy while you were in there?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't remember anyone by that name," says Carl. "I don't know how much we'll be able to accomplish in the courts, but we have to try. Nobody's saying all the patients have to be cut loose, but they could be transferred to other institutions where they won't be maimed. Plus, we have enough evidence that I should be able to get a search warrant that would give me the run of the place."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Nope, didn't see no Timothy - not that I was paying too much attention to name badges. Let's see if Ranger Norris can get a warrant. Meanwhile we can do some asking around locally."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

”I’m going to get my photos published” says Joseph. ”Once people see the state of that place, something will be done”.
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

OOC:   Did the other characters share what they saw with Jimmy and I?  
Don't know, is this assumed or does it need rp?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, I'll fill you in on what we observed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Doors to Darkness”