1 Genius Loci: Strange Letter

Doors to Darkness yawn open to reveal three hair raising tales!

Genius Loci - Not all is well at the Kirby State Lunatic Asylum and it’s down to the investigators to heed a friend in need’s cry.
Ties That Bind - Strange rock formations have been found in Mrs. Carrington’s prized fountain. But these are like no rocks seen before!
None More Black - The death of a Rice University student leads the investigators into unsavoury neighbourhoods and dark business dealings.

Are you the Dreamer or are you the Dream? Shadows flitting at the corners of your vision, haunting laughter just outside your window and inhuman, eerie sounds in the middle of the night, all of this and more await the unwary once you open the Doors to Darkness!

Moderator: Umbral Dragon

Borderline
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Re: 1 Genius Loci: Strange Letter

Post by Borderline »

After the phone is free I call around to a few veterans who stay in contact simulataneously checking in on them and seeing what I can find about what Larry's been up to recently.
roll against charm,15[dice]0[/dice]edit: I'll spend three luck,
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Jimmy considered the growing list of local criminal contacts he had become acquainted with in the greater Houston area between drags from his cigarette. Unfortunately, his enterprises had not expanded into the Kirby loony bin, yet. Like he had said before, a visit to this place was an opportunity, one he simply couldn't pass up. The Chicago native swirled his whiskey over the cubes of ice as he considered his next angle.
Luck (45),[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by Zero on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Carl manages to get some useful information from his contacts in law enforcement when it's his turn to use the phone.
OOC,Charm roll (15% base skill) to get information from law enforcement contacts: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Joseph calls some of his journalist contacts at the Houston Chronicle.
Persuade,Persuade 45: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/703790]Persuade[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]18[/b]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Umbral Dragon wrote:Luck points?
OOC:   At this early stage I'll pass :D  

After Coach uses the phone, he growls.

"Damn stuffed shirts! The old coots wouldn't tell me a bean."
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

When Joseph calls Gregory Hilton, he finds that the Kirby Hospital is out just past Pasadena. Not a whole lot to tell, but he's offering a little help by letting you access the archives
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Carl gets in touch with the precinct sheriff. He tells him, they've not had to go out to the hospital since they jad to take Walker Brown to the asylum. Walker was going on about a hoodoo spell calling up some evil spirit. He spooked everyone in the neighborhood and wouldn't go to work or to sleep.
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Wheels calls up Larry. He finds out that Larry had friend who worked the railroad line that passed by the Hospital. It was a superstition that the place was built on some "Injun" sacred circle.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Carl fills in the others on what he's learned. "We can talk to this Walker Brown when we eventually go there," he says, "find out his side of the story."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

Off to the side I address Joeseph, "Mr. Adler what would you think of calling this asylum, give them a story, maybe you're researching for a piece about succesful rehabilitation of patients with mental disorders? I wanted to ask you before bringing it to the group. It could gain is easy access or give us a glimpse of the temperament of the place."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Joseph Adler

"Not a bad idea" muses Joseph in response to Solomon. "Let me check it out with the Chronicle editor though and get his backing. The hospital is likely to make some inquiries about me".

He borrows the phone again and makes the call to the Chronicle.
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Your contact tells you that as a Freelance reporter for the Chronicle it would be a perfect assignment. It was actually put out on the board as one option, but nobody picked it up since it was kind of creepy. He gives you the reference number and writes you in as the reporter on assignment.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Okay, I’m officially on the story” Joseph says after finishing the call. “Now to call the asylum.”

Joseph calls Kirby to explain his assignment, and see if he can get permission.
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

After hearing Joeseph apparently get an affirmitive answer and everyone is off the phone I clear my throat roughly "Well I've never put stock in the red mans superstition but it's worth mentioning, I was told the place Larry's at now is supposedly and old indian circle whatever that means. I don't suppose anyone knows anything about those old myths? Might have something to do with what he was looking into."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Coach shrugs.

"My great-grampy was a Ute and told me plenty of hair raising stories, but that was up in Colorado. I'm not sure I remember anything specific to Texas."
Keeper,Could I make an EDU (EDU 87) check to see if Coach remembers anything? If so... [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've just heard the usual stories about haunted ancient Indian burial grounds and the like," says Carl. "Nothing in particular, but there's stuff like that all over the place. We'll probably have to talk to the local tribes to find out anything more."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

The Chin could scarcely believe what he was hearing. There was a whole bunch of nonsense about ancient curses and magic being spoken of. Clearly the drink had already started to affect these gents. This wasn't the pyramid at Giza they were talking about here, just some hospital out in the countryside.

"Shut your yaps about that baloney. Keep focused on the matter at hand. Larry wants out of this Kirby joint, and the lawman here says we can, so let's go get him. Plain and simple." he said after another drag from his cigarette.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Coach can't help but chuckle at this.

"You got a point son, but it won't hurt for Mr. Adler to do a bit of digging first."
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

I sit back down in my chair and dart a widened eye towards the chin at the sound of him being called son then quickly bring my glass up to my mouth to hide my expression.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we could see what Mr. Adler learns first," says Carl. "Larry's been in there this long, a little longer shouldn't be too harmful. Once we've found out what we can, then we can just go down there in a group, though separately from Mr. Adler. We'll tell people where we're going first, but I'm not expecting them to try to detain all of us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Doors to Darkness”