Genius Loci: OOC

Doors to Darkness yawn open to reveal three hair raising tales!

Genius Loci - Not all is well at the Kirby State Lunatic Asylum and it’s down to the investigators to heed a friend in need’s cry.
Ties That Bind - Strange rock formations have been found in Mrs. Carrington’s prized fountain. But these are like no rocks seen before!
None More Black - The death of a Rice University student leads the investigators into unsavoury neighbourhoods and dark business dealings.

Are you the Dreamer or are you the Dream? Shadows flitting at the corners of your vision, haunting laughter just outside your window and inhuman, eerie sounds in the middle of the night, all of this and more await the unwary once you open the Doors to Darkness!

Moderator: Umbral Dragon

Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Genius Loci: OOC

Post by Zero »

@Borderline A pushed roll only goes awry when you fail. In this case, it would probably result in someone coming along and discovering what we're up to. As long as it isn't the same orderly from the front desk, we can potentially bluff him too. That might be good for us anyway, because they'd have a key. How's your Fighting (Brawl)? ;)
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Borderline »

I can hold my own (50) Im willing to push if keeper allows it but I was hoping youd chime in too so Im glad were on the same page
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Yeah, let's wait until Umbral chimes in again. I've got a 40 in brawl, so we should be fine if it comes to that. Let's also agree that unless they pull weapons on us, we don't pull our guns. :D
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

@Umbral How close to expiration as these medications? Is there any sign that the contents are at least accessed on occasion?
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by Umbral Dragon »

The medicine looks like it's passed out regularly as there is a few open and empty boxes on the ground. The dates are still good for about 3 more months.
Morphine and Cocaine and Aspirin.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Okay, so much for that theory. Thought they were using some other perhaps experimental drug to keep the patients docile. Anyway... there's not much need for the Asprin... heh. Maybe bottle or two... but we're definitely packing up the Morphine and Cocaine.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

My own research indicated that cocaine and morphine became controlled/regulated substances in the US in 1914 by way of the Harrison Narcotics Act. They could use it, they just needed permits to do so. This is the fallout from the Opium War.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, I hadn't known that. It's worth checking to see if the sanitarium has the required permits, though it probably does.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

OK, so, is everyone ready to move from the lunch table yet or is there a plan to be worked out?
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Um, not quite. I have at least one more post to make for the Chin. I'm just making sure everyone's had a chance to weigh in.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Coach's plan is to tag along with whoever needs some extra backup, so happy to proceed whenever everyone else is.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

Jimmy's gonna give a call to a couple of his boys. He wants to keep the place under watch, particularly the orderlies who were mouthy with him previously. He'll give a description and if they leave, he wants them followed. Otherwise, from a discrete distance, these men are to stake the place out for patterns and anything else that may be useful.
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Beginning another Thread. Those doing research will have to make a number of History, Law, Occult, and Library Use skill rolls.
You can do that here or in the Thread. Things to research:

• Kirby State Lunatic Asylum
      Dr. Berger

This will lead you to other research as well.
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Investigator Development Phase

Since we are in a new session, examine the investigator sheet to see which skills have been checked as successes. For each skill check the player rolls 1D100.

Succeeding at something you are not good at is difficult; however, successfully using the skill probably means that the investigator learns from the experience. Conversely, being expert at something guarantees success most of the time, yet that high skill means the investigator is unlikely to learn further. It gets progressively harder to add percentiles to a skill.

If the player rolls higher than the current skill number, or the result is over 95, then the investigator improves in that skill: roll 1D10 and immediately add the result to the current skill points. Skills may rise above 100% by this method.

If the player rolls equal to or less than the investigator’s skill level, then the investigator hasn’t learned from the ex-
perience and the skill amount does not change.

Repeat the procedure for all the skills that been checked, then erase all skill checks on the investigator sheet. Skills can
be checked again during the next game session as they are used successfully.

Note: The Cthulhu Mythos and Credit Rating skills never receive a skill check, and no box for such a check exists on the investigator sheet. Not improving a skill has no other consequence.

Also to recover Luck Points, you may make an improvement check for their Luck. This is rolled in the same way as for skill improvement. The player rolls 1D100 and if the roll is above their present Luck score they add 1D10 points to their Luck score. If the roll is equal to or less than the investigator’s present Luck score, no points are recovered.

Take time to update your character sheet. :ugeek:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

My character sheet isn't showing any checked skills, but I know I succeeded at at least one of them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Improvement Psychology 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
Psychology add,[dice]3[/dice]
Improvement Spot Hidden 60%,[dice]1[/dice]
Spot Hidden add,[dice]4[/dice]
Improvement Luck 60%,[dice]2[/dice]
Luck add,[dice]5[/dice]
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

awesome jp1885. advancements are always good no matter how small!
Umbral Dragon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Umbral Dragon »

Mr. Handy wrote:My character sheet isn't showing any checked skills, but I know I succeeded at at least one of them.

You might have to go through the threads to see which ones.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't have enough time to do that tonight. I'll try to do it tomorrow night.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zero »

I'll be mostly unable to post IC until Monday, just FYI. I'll do my improvement roll for Fast Talk and Spot Hidden as those are the only skill rolls I actually passed during that first act. I'll probably have Jimmy do some research and data collections on the doctor as well as any important staff. He wants to know where they live and identify any family that they may have. Also, if you want me to do some stats for his two lackeys that he sent to do his surveillance, I will when I have some actual free time. I think they'd at least be making a few Spot Hidden rolls while on their stake out. :)
Fast Talk improvement check (55%),[dice]0[/dice]
Fast Talk increase (1d10),[dice]1[/dice]
Spot Hidden improvement check (50%),[dice]2[/dice]
Spot Hidden increase (1d10),[dice]3[/dice]

Return to “Doors to Darkness”