IC-Ep 2-Return Engagement(Brook/Eugene)

Story and his friends investigate and soon identify those behind the monster's appearance, which leads to a deadly confrontation for Brook and Eugene and the arrival of something truly horrific.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 2-Return Engagement(Brook/Eugene)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liverpool Street Station - London, England
7:00 PM - Sunday, September 8, 1940

Brook and Eugene followed the Steadmans toward the surface from a discreet distance, moving slowly so as not to overtake them, as the major's limp slowed them. The Steadmans walked past the Central London Railway employee, a bewhiskered man in his late fifties, who was collecting fares from people entering the station. As they began to ascend the final stairway leading to the surface, Brook and Eugene were approaching the fare collector. Just then, the warbling of air raid sirens began above. The old man, moving quickly for one his age, stepped into Brook and Eugene's path and turned to face them. "Better stay below," he said. "You're technically not allowed to shelter in the Underground, but you've already paid your fare, so you'll be safer staying. If you leave, you'd have to pay another fare to get back down."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Return Engagement(Brook/Eugene)

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene grimaced in panic "bloody Luftwaffe!" He looked at the Steadmans as they disappeared up the stairs, then back at the bewhiskered employee.
"Sorry, but we're on fire watch duty - must dash!" He grabbed Brook's hand and made for the stairs, after their quarry.
"I must be mad..." he muttered.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right you are, sir," said the man, getting out of the way. Eugene and Brook dashed up to the surface, in time to see their quarry heading east thanks to Major Steadman's slow gait. A few other people were out on the street, and they seemed to be heading towards the Underground station from which they had just emerged.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene followed the Steadmans at a brisk pace, trying to look like he and Brook were heading for a shelter, despite the close proximity of the Underground station. As the air raid sirens howled and the dark sky lit up with searchlights, the import of what he was doing suddenly hit him.
"Listen miss, this is dangerous - the bombs could be dropping at any moment. If you want to go back to the Underground, I can give you money for another ticket. I'll continue on my own if need be - it's no trouble."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we've got a bit of time before that," said Brook as they followed the Steadmans. The sun was only just setting, but it looked like it was setting in the direction they were walking, to the east, as well as in the west. Were the docks still on fire from last night? "We're not terribly far from the church, and I left a message for Story that I'd meet him there, but it wouldn't hurt to give me enough for a fare in case we get separated. But I'm not missing this, and I'll know Catherine Exeter when I see her."
OOC,[b]Brook[/b]'s History roll (24% skill) about air raid sirens: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene nodded. "Fair enough miss. Here you are then, just in case." He gave Brook and handful of change for her fare.
It occurred to him that, with the already quiet streets rapidly emptying, their tailing of the Steadmans would be difficult to conceal for long.
"Listen miss, I think we're likely to be spotted soon. If that happens, I think we should pretend to be father and daughter; lost, frightened and looking for shelter from the bombs. We're following the Steadmans because, him being in uniform, we hope they can lead us to a place of safety. What d'you reckon?"
He continued after the Steadmans, heading in the direction of the docks and the strange glow.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right, good thinking," said Brook, "but I don't think they'll spot us."

As they progressed, the sun finally sank, leaving them in nearly total darkness thanks to the blackout. Both Brook and Eugene proved to be stealthy, and their quarry didn't even appear to suspect anyone was following them. They made their way into the warehouse district, in fact not far from where Nell Murrow's body had been found. That particular warehouse had of course been flattened, and Brook looked at it longingly. Other warehouses were similarly destroyed and still others damaged from yesterday's bombing, but many others were still intact. It was to one of these intact warehouses that the Steadmans went. They approached the front door, and Madeline took out a ring of keys and proceeded to unlock it.

"I..." whispered Brook. "I've been here before. This is where it happened, ten years ago. This is where the Exeters had their secret underground lair, where they tried to kill Grit Wilson back in 1930."
OOC,[b]Brook[/b] and [b]Eugene[/b], you may both roll Listen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene didn't like the sound of underground lairs and attempted murders. He gulped, wondering what he'd got himself into.
Listen 45%,[dice]0[/dice]
"Hang on a second, I can hear something..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eugene could hear the distant drone of aircraft to the east. He knew enough about the sound of aircraft engines by now to be able to tell the difference. He could tell that these were German planes, and there were a lot of them...
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The droning sound to the east stopped Eugene in his tracks.
"Jerry aircraft, and lots of them!" He grimaced. "Underground you say? The best place for us I reckon - get that door unlocked miss!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Madeline opened the door, and she and Major Steadman slipped through, closing it behind them.
OOC,If you want to follow them into the warehouse without delay, you'll need to roll Sneak.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Sneak 20%,[dice]0[/dice]
Eugene makes way too much noise.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eugene didn't even hear Brook slip in behind him. Fortunately, the Steadmans were so focused on what they were doing that they took no notice of him. They were a short distance ahead, walking across the darkened warehouse floor.
OOC,[b]Brook[/b]'s Sneak roll (30% skill) entering the warehouse: [dice]0[/dice] [b]James Steadman's[/b] Listen roll: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Madeline Steadman's[/b] Listen roll: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene winced at the noise he made, but the Steadmans didn't seem to react. He wiped his brow and shrugged apologetically to Brook.
He was about to follow the Steadmans, but stopped briefly to wedge a piece of debris in the doorway, lest they needed to make a quick exit.
That done, he motioned to Brook and continued onwards.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brook and Eugene followed the Steadmans down a lengthy hallway. There was a door to the left nearby, across from another door on the right. Two more doors were further back on the right, at regular intervals. At the end of the hall, it went around a corner to the left. The Steadmans went all the way to the last door on the right, opened it, and stepped through.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene hestidated, wondering if going through the far right-hand door straight after the Steadmans would be a good idea. So far they had been lucky, but barging into the same room? Pretty difficult to say hidden!
"Let's just hold up for a moment, shall we? Scout the area a bit?"
Eugene studied the doors and turned to Brook.
"Would you like to pop your head around the first door on the right? I'll look into the second."
He walked to the second door on the right and turned the handle.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brook and Eugene tried their respective doors on the right, but both proved to be locked.

"I remember from the last time I was here," whispered Brook. "That door they went in leads to a guard room, and that's where the stairs are that go to the secret temple. Maybe we should listen at the door?"
OOC,[b]Brook[/b]'s Idea roll (70% stat) in the warehouse: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Eugene[/b], if you want to try this, please roll Listen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Listen 45%,[dice]0[/dice]
Eugene listens at the door, but can't hear anything.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brook put her ear to the door. "They're walking downstairs," she whispered. "That's what I'd be doing with bombers on the way. I think it's safe to follow them now, and not so safe up here."
OOC,[b]Brook[/b]'s Listen roll (55% skill) at the door: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene nodded. "I agree. Let's go."
He cautiously opened the door and stepped through the threshold.

Return to “Episode 2”