Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 2-Among the Few(Elizabeth/John)

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
RAF Biggin Hill - London, England
9:30 AM - Sunday, September 8, 1940

Elizabeth and John took the train out as close as they could get to Biggin Hill, the RAF base to the southeast of London, and walked the rest of the way. Even from the outside, they could tell that it was a busy hive of activity, especially after last night. There were armed RAF men guarding the gate.

Re: IC-Ep 2-Among the Few(Elizabeth/John)

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 pm
by yockenthwaite
Before they get too near to the gate to be overheard Elizabeth asks John quietly "So, what's the plan for getting me in here? And thanks for offering to bring me along again. I wouldn't normally have the chance to see inside an RAF base, and this tale of the airman and the murdered woman intrigues me." She looks around with interest, trying to take in as much of the location as she can.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 am
by DrPeterson
John stops and smiles at Elizabeth, taking her hand.

"I promised your dad I'd not compromise your integrity, and I mean to uphold that promise, so don't worry, but if the guards give us any problems, we're going to have to pretend we're lovers."

He grins roguishly.

"I definitely won't have to act too hard."

He laughs playfully, let's go of her hand as he bows, and offers her his arm.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Ok ...," says Elizabeth, grinning, and puts her arm in John's. "Let's give this a try!"

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm
by DrPeterson
John smiles as Elizabeth takes his arm and guides her towards the entrance.

"Allons-y!"

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy
There were some long buildings visible from outside the base, most likely hangars. They seemed to be strategically positioned so as to block the view of the base's interior from the outside, which would make sense as far as security was concerned. They obviously didn't want spies gathering information about the types and numbers of planes here, none of which were visible from this position.

The guards saluted as John and Elizabeth approached. "Morning, Captain," said one of them. "Wasn't expecting to see you back so soon. Who's the bird?"
OOC,[b]Elizabeth[/b] and [b]John[/b], please roll Credit Rating.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:00 am
by DrPeterson
"Mornin', guys, how's the watch been so far?"

Credit Rating 40%,[dice]0[/dice]
John wasn't at his most winning when talking to base guards...

"This here's Lizzie, she's a local girl, her dad's lost his vehicle in the bombing last night, and I thought I'd show her around a bit to cool her nerve, if you know what I mean."

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:48 am
by yockenthwaite
"Hello," says Elizabeth, smiling towards the guards.

Elizabeth rolls Credit Rating (stat 51%):
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy
"Hullo, luv," said the guard who had spoken earlier, smiling back. "We don't normally do this, but you don't look a Jerry spy to me." He opened the gate and stood aside to let them enter. "Things have been pretty quiet here. We weren't bombed last night, for a change. Looks like they threw everything they had at London."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:39 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Thank you," says Elizabeth, smiling again. "We were lucky just to lose our truck in the bombing. Others were much less lucky."

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy
"You're welcome, Miss," said the guard. "Yes, from what I've heard, it was really bad. Our boys were up there doing their best to stop the Jerries, or it would have been worse. If they try it again, we'll be ready."

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm
by DrPeterson
John agrees
"They had dropped their payload before we could even intercept. We made sure they didn't all get back to the sausage factory, though."

He smiles and salutes again.

"Now if you fellows would excuse us, I promised Lizzie a drink and a dance."

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:54 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth grins, and squeezes John's arm.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy
The guards waved as Elizabeth and John entered the base. As they progressed, more buildings and the runways came into view. Now they could see a few planes, but only a few. The nearest one, a Spitfire with familiar roundels painted on the wings, was being refueled and rearmed by a ground crew.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 am
by yockenthwaite
"Gosh!" says Elizabeth, looking over towards the Spitfire, and wowed despite her best efforts to stay calm. "So where should we go to find this airman?" she asks John, turning towards him. "Though I must say a drink and a dance sounds appealing too!" She laughs as they walk along, and looks around, trying to soak up as much as she can see as possible.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:06 pm
by DrPeterson
John is obviously charmed by Elizabeth's reaction to the Spitfire.

"That's why were going to win this war, Lizzie, those wonderful machines and the men that fly them."

He looks at his watch and then looks around base.

"I think we'd best go and have a drink first, and then go see our man."

John leads Elizabeth to the bar.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
John saw that it was almost 9:40. He led Elizabeth to the officers' club. The bar wasn't crowded at this hour, but there were still a few airmen lounging around. The bartender was the same skinny, stubbly corporal who had been there earlier this morning. He saluted John. "Welcome back, Group Captain," he said. "What can I get you?"

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 pm
by DrPeterson
"Something fine and exquisite for the lady and myself, Corporal."

John crossed a smile between the corporal and Elizabeth.

"Has Major Steadman been in yet?"

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 pm
by Mr. Handy
The corporal smiled back. "Two scotch on the rocks, coming up," he said, taking out a bottle from behind the bar and pouring it into a pair of glasses containing ice cubes. "No, Major Steadman hasn't been in yet. He's not usually one for drinking in the morning, at least not these days now that he's grounded. When you fly at night, though, you have to drink when you can."

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 pm
by DrPeterson
"I got grounded forcibly last night. Damn Jerries got the drop on me while I was taking out a bomber. If it hadn't been for Jones, I'd be pushing up daisies."

John offers Elizabeth one of the glasses and raises his.

"To friends in need and to rare moments of respite!"

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Thank you!" says Elizabeth, smiling as she takes her glass and raises it. "To friends old and new, and to hopes of a better future." She drinks, looking around with interest.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy
The whiskey was indeed exquisite, and the excellent flavor reminded Elizabeth of home. The officers' club had a piano, though nobody was playing it at the moment, as well as a dance floor, which was currently empty. An airman sat at the bar, nursing a beer, while two more sat together at a table. There were posters on the walls, some with pictures of aircraft, others with pinups of starlets.

"Jones is a good man," said the bartender. "He was in here earlier, but he's sleeping it off now. He'll be going up again tonight, I'm sure, so he'll need his rest. Too bad about losing your kite, but at least you made it back in one piece, and that's one Jerry bomber that won't be back tonight."

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:30 am
by DrPeterson
John knocks on the counter for luck.

"And that he may return with a few extra notches on his belt."

He stares from the bartender to the piano and back again with a grin.

"Say, Corporal, I kind of promised this young lady a dance. I'd be mighty obliged if you played us a few tunes."

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, I'm not very good at tickling the ivories myself," said the barman, "and I do need to tend bar, but I'm not the only here." He called into the back. "Hey, Charlie! I need you to play some tunes for the captain and his lady!"

A private emerged from the kitchen, tall and wiry, and saluted John. "Some music coming right up," he said, heading for the piano. "We'll start off with the Beer Barrel Polka." He flexed his fingers and began to play.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:04 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth grins as the music starts, and puts her drink down. "Shall we?" she says, giving her hand to John.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:21 pm
by DrPeterson
"I'd be honored."

John smiles widely and takes Elizabeth's hand, leading her to the dance floor.

"Ready?"
John leads her in the nice up tempo jig.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:15 am
by yockenthwaite
"Ready!" she says, and joins in the dance. At the first breather they get she laughs and says "It's such a long time since I've danced a dance like this. Thank you!" She remembers dances like this from her youth, though they were slightly less fashionable then than today. She can just about remember the moves.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:16 pm
by DrPeterson
John laughs.
"Really, I thought this was pretty modern stuff? Nevertheless, you're still shaking it good, Lizzie!"

He grins as the dance picks up again.

"One would think your dad let you out more, if he lets you take off with any old dashing airman."

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:35 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth smiles. "He trusts you. I trust you. And I wanted to follow up this lead."

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:13 pm
by DrPeterson
John smiles both charmingly and charmed.

"This is not just a lead, Lizzie, the airman she talks about in her diary is my CAG. He outranks me, so if he's not keen on talking, we'll have to wing it. I'll introduce you as someone involved with her murder investigation, but I'm not going to lie outright if he asks for more details."

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:53 am
by yockenthwaite
"What does CAG stand for?" asks Elizabeth, curiously. "And given the circumstances thank you again for letting me tag along. Yes I'm involved in the investigation, but not in any official capacity. So yes, say what you think's best."

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Charlie finished the song, and after a pause he began playing "We'll Meet Again."

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:28 pm
by DrPeterson
John smiles as pulls Elizabeth closer and leads her into the slow.

"He's the commander of my air group. And I think your presence might help improve the situation a bit. Well, it certainly improves my situation."

He grins roguishly and spins Elizabeth around and back again.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:19 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth smiles as they dance, remembering the song from her young days.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:57 pm
by DrPeterson
John enjoys the dance for a while and as the song winds down he speaks:
"I guess we should see if he's in his office."

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:00 am
by yockenthwaite
"Ok," says Elizabeth, straightening her clothing after the dancing, making sure she is as presentable as possible to see the commander. "You lead the way, and I'll follow!" she says, smiling.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:31 pm
by DrPeterson
"I noticed.", John grins and thanks Charlie. "You're quite the dancer."

"It's just a few buildings away from this one, it's not far."
He indicates a building just down the street and leads Elizabeth to "Jimmy's" office.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
John led Elizabeth to Major Steadman's office. His aide, a young lieutenant, who sat in the outer office told them that the major was available and admitted them. Major Steadman was a handsome man in his thirties with blond hair. His office featured pictures of airplanes and pilots, as well as several model planes, most notably a Spitfire on his desk. "Welcome back, Group Captain Barrow," he said. "I wasn't expecting to see you again so soon. I see you've found a lady friend. Good for you. Won't you introduce us?"

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm
by DrPeterson
John salutes the Major and smiles warmly.

"Major James Steadman, meet the lovely Elizabeth. Elizabeth, meet Major James Steadman, one of the finest men in charge of our democratic skies. Elizabeth was one of the civilians I was so lucky to land next to last night."

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Major Steadman returned the salute. "A pleasure to meet you, Elizabeth," he said. "If you two end up marrying some day, you'll have quite a story to tell your children."

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:33 pm
by DrPeterson
John coughs and looks at Elizabeth with a panicked smile.

He reasserts himself and says:
"Well, yes, uhm, that's not exactly what we came here for, sir..."

John shapes up, never being one to postpone bad news.
"Elizabeth was present at the warehouse I landed night the other night, as was the German airman talking about the...uhm, creature. When we rummaged around the debris, we found the remains of a woman there, alongside her purse which contained her diary. I'm afraid Nell Murrow is dead, sir. I'm very sorry. She mentions you fondly in it, that's why we came to you."

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:59 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth smiles warmly as Major Steadman welcomes her but looks more serious as John tells him about Nell. She waits nervously, hoping that the officer takes the news well. She waits to see how he reacts before possibly saying more herself.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Major Steadman raised an eyebrow. "She...mentioned me?" he asked.
OOC,You may both roll Psychology.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:10 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth rolls Psychology (stat 47%)
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 pm
by DrPeterson
Psychology 5%:,[dice]0[/dice]
"Yes, in her journal, she mentioned you in her journal. Are you all right, sir?"

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, yes, I'm all right," said the major. "I'm just surprised to hear this. I only met her once, and I hadn't realized I'd made such an impression on her. Too many people died in last night's raid, but we'll make Jerry pay for each and every one of them."
Elizabeth Young,[b]Major Steadman[/b] did indeed seem surprised to hear this news, though it was hard to say exactly what surprised him. He had also twitched when he'd said that he'd only met [b]Nell[/b] once. That probably wasn't true.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 am
by yockenthwaite
"We don't think she was killed in the air raid Major," says Elizabeth carefully. "But probably sometime before it. I'm really sorry, but it looked like some kind of animal attack. The medics are conducting a post mortem to try to find out what happened to her."

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am
by DrPeterson
"We had her taken to St. Bart's Hospital instead of to the police morgue. It seemed more...well, more proper.", John interjects.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:31 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods as John speaks, still trying to work out what the Major's reactions are telling them.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, it's good that you did that," said the major. "The raid started around five in the afternoon yesterday, which means she had to have been killed in daylight. It's certainly a shame that this had to happen, but at least she did not have to endure the bombing too."
Elizabeth Young,[b]Major Steadman[/b] seemed to be trying to misdirect them somehow.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:57 pm
by DrPeterson
"Somehow I doubt that was the greater mercy, sir."
John frowns a sorrowful brow.
"Would you maybe know what she would have been doing there, major? That wasn't the nicest side of town for a lady to be."

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I imagine she was in the East End because that's where she lived," said Major Steadman. "She had a Cockney accent, I recall."

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 am
by yockenthwaite
"I suppose the most likely explanation is that she was killed by chance, by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially if it was an animal attack," says Elizabeth thoughtfully. "But is there anything you know that might be relevant sir? I wonder if she had any special fears, or concerns. Though I gather you didn't know her well ..."

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
"No, I didn't," said Major Steadman. "I'm sorry, I can't think of anything. She didn't say anything about that to me."

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:25 am
by DrPeterson
John clears his throat.

"I understand your discretion, sir, and I respect it, that's why we came to you in person. But the thing is, witnesses have it that you were with her yesterday. If you can tell us anything, anything at all that could be useful, we might get to the bottom of what happened to her."

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:03 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth waits to see what the Major says, holding her hands together. She hopes that John's plea will encourage him to be more forthcoming.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
"Witnesses?" said Major Steadman. "What witnesses are these, and what exactly did they say? There must be some mistake. Surely you mean two days ago, not yesterday."
Elizabeth Young,The major was becoming alarmed.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:20 pm
by DrPeterson
OOC:   OOC: I'm just waiting a bit for Yock, in case she might want to intervene. The bombing and Nell's death, and the testimony of the landlady are about last night, right? Or am I confused?  

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Nell[/b] died last night, which was the first night that London was bombed. [b]Nell[/b]'s last diary entry was for September 6, two days ago, which is when she first met "[b]Jimmy[/b]." The landlady did say to [b]Phyllis[/b] that she told her she had a date with an RAF officer last night. The landlady never met him, but she did report [b]Nell[/b] describing him as handsome and walking with a limp. The assumption is that he's the same man.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:45 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Are you alright Major?" asks Elizabeth. "You seem rather alarmed."

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, Miss, I'm fine," he said.
Elizabeth Young,The major was a little calmer now, but he wasn't truly fine.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:58 pm
by DrPeterson
"No, I do mean yesterday, sir. She had a date with you yesterday, didn't she?"

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't like what you're insinuating, Captain," said Major Steadman with a frown. "I happen to be a married man."

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Major, I'm sure John isn't trying to insinuate anything," says Elizabeth, calmly but slowly. "However we fear that whatever attacked Nell could still be at large, and pose a risk to other people." She pauses, before going on. "It may have been an animal attack, but that's not certain. If there is anything else that you could tell us that might be relevant and helpful, please do. I'm sure John will be discreet, but there is a risk to the public here, and your information might help save lives."

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:21 pm
by DrPeterson
John nods in agreement, grateful for Elizabeth's save.

"If we didn't mean well, we wouldn't have come here, would we, sir?"

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm sorry," said Major Steadman, "but I'm afraid there's nothing more I can tell you."
Elizabeth Young,The major clearly hadn't told them everything.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:17 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Are you sure sir?" asks Elizabeth. "Because with the greatest possible respect I don't think you're telling us all you know."

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]John[/b] and [b]Elizabeth[/b], you may both make Persuade rolls. You may need a better than normal success for it to be effective.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am
by DrPeterson
Persuasion 35%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Mr Handy, is there a chance I might roll my war prestige to try and ply our soldierly connection?
OOC2,in case of yes, here is my roll 35% [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:44 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth rolls Persuade (stat 35%): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
"I never said I was telling you all I know," said Major Steadman. "I said I had told you all I can." He sighed. "I have no doubt whatsoever of your loyalty, but some things must remain secret. I will only tell you this much: what I was doing last night was vital to the war effort - and most secret. We'll have to leave it at that."
Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] sensed that the major was sincere in his statement.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:49 am
by DrPeterson
John nods and salutes Steadman.
"I understand, sir. We'd best be going then..."

He turns to leave, but then stops, looking back at Steadman.

"That being said, are there places we definitely shouldn't go?"

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"You'd do well to avoid the East End as a whole," said Steadman, returning the salute. "The bombing was heaviest there last night."

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:11 am
by yockenthwaite
"Thank you sir for your time talking to us," says Elizabeth. "I wish we could have met under better circumstances."

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy
"You're welcome, Miss," said Major Steadman before they left. "I wish that were the case too."

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm
by DrPeterson
John salutes and turns to the door. He pauses as he grabs the door handle.

"It's just not right, Major. I can't accept this as an answer."

He turns to face them again, his voice full with emotion.

"I didn't come all the way here to fight the Nazi's just to discover that we're not a hair better than they are. How can we let this happen? People see us as heroes and we turn away when a woman is murdered in the streets because of some secret operation? Do we fail in the face of adversity and turn away when we see evil on our side? Staring into the Abyss for too long will let the darkness into our own hearts!

Help us, sir, help us, we can't allow this to go away without taking a stand!
"

OOC,Sorry for the absence, I had a severe case of deadlinitis.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
Major Steadman sighed and rose to his feet. "We are better than the bloody Nazis, and don't you forget it for a second," he said. "We're at war for our very survival, and it wasn't one we asked for. Sometimes in war one has to do things that are unpleasant, even downright awful. You think I haven't wrestled with this myself? I don't sleep well, but I do what I must so that others don't have to. We've both had to shoot down Germans who are in the same profession we are, some of them quite young. We can't afford to dwell on the fact that they have mothers, fathers, wives, children who love them. They're attacking us, and we must defend our island, whatever the cost. If the Nazis invade and occupy Britain, it would be unthinkable! In order for us to prevail, sacrifices must be made."

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:27 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Sacrifices like Nell?" asks Elizabeth, hesitantly, her voice shaking somewhat with emotion, but trying to stay calm.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 am
by Mr. Handy
"I never said that," said the major, "but war is filled with hard decisions and impossible choices. Do you know how many innocent people the Jerries killed last night? Right now, nobody does, not exactly. The number is in the hundreds, and they're still counting. How many more will they kill if they're not stopped? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions? We stand alone against seemingly insurmountable odds. If one person must die so that many more may live - and live free - then that is a price that must be paid."

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:02 pm
by DrPeterson
"Yes, true, in the case of you or I, we go out there as often as we can, and put our lives on the line, hoping that our sacrifice will make the difference. Not in the case of people like Nell Murrow. They're the people we're supposed to protect, and every dead civilian is one too many.
If defeating the Nazi's costs us our humanity, we will have gained nothing and lost much more than we started with.
"

John sighs.

"Can you promise no more civilians will die by our hand, sir? Because if you can't, and I don't think you truthfully can, we should alter our course."

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
"There's no way to guarantee that no civilians are killed in a modern war," said Major Steadman. "Even in the last war it happened, and this one is worse. A couple of weeks ago, we bombed Berlin. I'm certain civilians were killed then. And before you say that those were German civilians, the Luftwaffe bombed London last night in direct response to that, killing hundreds of our own civilians. This is total war, and it's going to get a lot worse before it's over."

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:51 pm
by DrPeterson
John clenches his teeth and takes a deep breath before speaking.

Nell Murrow didn't die in the bombing, sir. We all know that. And you know how I feel about the bombing of civilian centres. War is for soldiers, not for citizens.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I don't like it any more than you do, Captain," said Steadman, "but we all have our duty. It's a certainty that we're going to pay Berlin back for what they did to London. At least we have the privilege of being on defense, knowing that what we're doing is helping to protect our people, and not just from the bombing. The threat of invasion is a very real one. If we don't win the Battle of Britain, the Luftwaffe will gain air superiority. Only then could they possibly mount a cross-channel invasion. Once they establish a beachhead, our ground forces will not be able to overcome them. The RAF is all that's standing in their way."

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 am
by yockenthwaite
"What were we - whoever - defending when Nell Murrow was killed Major?" asks Elizabeth. "Oh I'm sure you don't want to tell us, but I saw her body, she died viciously, not from the bombing. Where was the role of defense in her death?"

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:54 pm
by DrPeterson
John holds his breath.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:05 am
by Mr. Handy
"I can't tell you anything more about Nell Murrow's death," said Major Steadman. "I don't think you understand how dire our situation is. That's all right, you're not meant to. It's important to keep morale up. But I think you need to understand this now. Do you know how many operational aircraft we have remaining?"
OOC,[b]Elizabeth[/b], you may roll History.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:10 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth rolls History (stat 70%): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] had done extensive studies about the Battle of Britain. At this point the RAF actually had several hundred operational planes and was really on the ropes. Of course, displaying this knowledge might be ill-advised, as something like that would be extremely secret and would leave the major wondering how she knew. The Luftwaffe had been specifically targeting the RAF, hitting airbases and radar stations (then known as RDF and also extremely secret) such as the one in Dunwich and trying to draw out fighters and shoot them down. Had it continued this strategy, Germany would have won the Battle of Britain. However, the change in strategy to terror bombing of London in retaliation for the bombing of Berlin, which was itself retaliation for the accidental bombing of London by a lost German plane, had cost Hitler his chance. During the Blitz, the RAF was able to rebuild and regroup. By September 17, it became apparent that the RAF had prevailed in the air war, and Hitler indefinitely postponed Operation Sea Lion, his proposed plan for the invasion of England. Of course, that was still almost a week and a half away. This was a very dangerous time in more ways than one. Anything that could tip the balance in the Luftwaffe's favor could change history. If the Luftwaffe were to win the Battle of Britain, Operation Sea Lion might go forward. [b]Elizabeth[/b] couldn't help but wonder about the effect of intervening to stop the creature that had downed a German bomber. That was part of established history, though a secret part that almost nobody knew. Was the major right? If the Luftwaffe weren't taking losses from the creature, could it win the Battle of Britain? She had to think that the change in strategy to bombing London would still probably mean that the RAF would win. Probably, but not certainly...

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:38 am
by yockenthwaite
"I'm not in a position to be privy to that kind of information, sir," Elizabeth says cautiously, "though I guess from you asking the question that the number is lower rather than higher. In which case," she pauses for a moment, picking her words carefully, "if an unknown creature is flying and attacking planes - forgive me, but we heard about this from a downed German airman who stumbled into our air raid shelter and was then captured - that would pose a threat to the British side too, which is already busy enough trying to fight the Germans. Would that be too far off the mark?" She looks questioningly at him, wondering if she has said too much, and conscious as always of her unusual situation as a time traveller.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 am
by DrPeterson
John's face remains impassive, although he's glad he brought Elizabeth along for this conversation.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Well, so far the only threat to the RAF is the Luftwaffe," said the major. "Captain Barrow also reported the creature sighting to me. We can account for all of our losses in the last day, and all of them were caused by enemy action, not by a flying creature. None of our pilots has even reported seeing such a thing himself; we only have Captain Barrow's secondhand report of the German sighting. If it exists, it has only attacked the Luftwaffe, not the RAF."
Elizabeth Young,I've made a couple of minor edits to the spoiler button above, as I'd remembered the date wrong. It was September 17, not September 22.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Well that's a bit of a relief, if you don't mind me saying so sir," says Elizabeth. "I heard the German airman's account too, and it sounded credible. It also seems a bit of a coincidence given the way in which Nell died, and when. So, going back to the number of aircraft, what were you wanting to say about that?"

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"Simply that we need every advantage we can get," said the major. "If this...phenomenon affects only the German planes and leaves ours alone, then it works to our advantage in the air."

Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:41 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Is that really likely though sir, that whatever this thing is distinguishes somehow between British and German planes?" asks Elizabeth. "Perhaps we've only heard of this one German incident so far, but what if that's just the start of it?" She pauses for a moment, before continuing. "I know this isn't your main priority at the moment, but if this could be a wider problem, shouldn't it be investigated? And that includes any link to Nell's death, surely." She looks questioningly at him.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:18 am
by Mr. Handy
"There have quite possibly been two incidents so far," said the major. "There was a second German plane downed last night without apparent explanation. It was not brought down by the RAF - in fact none of our planes were anywhere near it - nor was it damaged by antiaircraft fire. There were no survivors from that one, but the damage to it was consistent with the other plane, whose wreckage has been recovered. So far that's two-nil in our favour. It's not unreasonable to wonder whether our own aircraft are immune or simply lucky, and I don't suppose further investigation would hurt."

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:42 pm
by yockenthwaite
"So two air incidents that may be linked to this creature," says Elizabeth. "Given that, and your acknowledgement that further investigation might help, is there really nothing more that you can share with us information-wise relevant to the other night? Because it looks as though this creature may be attacking people on the ground, not just in the air. And if so that poses an immediate risk to other Londoners, not just Nell."

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:03 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I'm afraid I'm not able to say any more," said Major Steadman. "I've probably said too much already. If you do learn anything more, I would be interested in hearing about it."

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am
by yockenthwaite
"Ok, thank you," says Elizabeth, glancing at John as she speaks. "I do appreciate this is a sensitive situation sir, and am grateful for what you have told us. I'm sure that if more information comes to light from the investigation on the ground Group Captain Barrow can share it with you."

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy
"You're quite welcome, Miss," said Major Steadman. "Anything you and Captain Barrow learn would be welcome. I'm afraid I have other matters to attend to, considering yesterday's bombing and the possibility of a repeat performance tonight, so I must bid you good day."

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:14 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods, and looks to John, to see if he wants to say anything before they leave.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:11 pm
by Mr. Handy
John saluted the major, who returned his salute. "Good day, sir," he said. "I'll let you know when I have more to report." With that, he and Elizabeth left the office.

"What now?" he asked Elizabeth once they were alone. "Should we go back to the church and fill in the others, or is there anything else you'd like to do first?"

Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 am
by yockenthwaite
"I think we should go back to the church," says Elizabeth, considering her thoughts as she speaks. "I don't think there's any more information we can realistically get here, if the Major won't say more, and we should check how the others are getting on, and tell them what we found."

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth and John left Biggin Hill and returned to the train station. The train was delayed in arriving, and delayed further during the journey, shunted to a siding to wait for a troop train to pass going the other way. The soldiers aboard looked grim but resolute. Perhaps they were on their way to the coast to await the expected invasion. How many of them would survive the war?

Eventually, the train got moving again and made it back to East London. From there the two of them walked back to St. James's Church, arriving a little past 4:00 PM.
OOC,Everyone is moving to the thread linked below:
The Gathering