Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 2-The Plot Thickens(Everyone else)

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy
St. James's Church- London, England
8:00 AM - Sunday, September 8, 1940

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook led the way back to the church, followed by Benjamin, Seamus, John, and Tinker. Now that the sun was higher in the sky, they could see the destruction that had befallen the East End. While the worst damage was down by the river, plenty of bombs had fallen on warehouses and residential buildings. Some buildings were piles of rubble or burned-out husks. They passed through the shadow of a barrage balloon that was moored nearby, designed to deter low-flying aircraft. This made bombing less accurate, but the bombs still had to come down somewhere.

As the group of seven people arrived at the church, so did Lord Rufus Colville and Anna Jerkins at around the same time, coming from the west. They all entered more or less together, where they found Phyllis Cruckshank, Maggie Duncan, Laura, Reverend Giles Curry, and a middle-aged man they hadn't seen before, most likely one of the reverend's flock.

Re: IC-Ep 2-The Plot Thickens(Everyone else)

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:01 am
by HelplessBystander
“Hello.” Anna said, making a small wave.

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:53 pm
by DrPeterson
"Hey miss", John said in his deepest accent.

"How have you been since last night?"

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:57 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods and smiles a greeting in response to Anna's wave. She looks around the people gathered with interest, recalling those she remembers, and wondering about the unfamiliar face.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 am
by HelplessBystander
"I suppose it went well, had a rough night's sleep. A patient escaped last night during the bombing. She's locked in for violent crimes, it may be possible that she's out there causing harm even at this very moment. So...I'd say it's certainly not great, but definitely could've been worse." Anna said, half-grumbling.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:25 pm
by DrPeterson
"Really now? What does this patient look like?"

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:11 pm
by HelplessBystander
"She's Catherine Exter, of average height and middle-aged. Plain appearance. Her escape was documented in the paper, actually. Quite perplexing, she couldn't possibly have found any earthly method of escaping through locked room with only one possible exit, yet she escaped. Lord Colville suspects that she's behind a violent murder commited last night. The time the assualt happened was after her escape." Anna said, revealing what little she knew. "A few years back, she was involved in a violent crime in the British Museum. In a few hours, I suppose I'll have to visit the museum staff to see if they could offer any enlightening knowledge to us."

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Story/Elizabeth/Brook,[b]Story[/b], [b]Eliizabeth[/b], and [b]Brook[/b] remembered [b]Catherine Exeter[/b] from their earlier trip to London in March 1930. She had been [b]Professor Winston Exeter[/b]'s wife, and the two of them had led the cult that had summoned the Black Pharaoh. [b]Story[/b] had killed [b]Professor Exeter[/b] in the confrontation. They had all seen [b]Catherine Exeter[/b] fall when [b]Lucius[/b] had struck her with a torch, but apparently she had survived and been institutionalized.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 am
by DrPeterson
"Oh."
John's somewhat disappointed the description doesn't match the dead girl from the warehouse.
"I don't supposed she had razorsharp claws, did she?"

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:01 pm
by HelplessBystander
Anna shrugged. “I’d suppose not. But the victim found by Lord Colville had violent wounds. Beast-like violence, I was told. It’s one possibility, after all, London has its fair share of criminals anyways, not every crime committed during the raid are done by one person, after all.”

“Some context would be welcome.”

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:55 pm
by aine
Mrs Cruikshank speaks up, "Did Miss Exter escape early enough to attack Nell Murrows? " She pulls a small book from her bag. "I've got Nell's diary here, it seems she was walking out with an RAF pilot." She looks at John. "He was a married man. He might have been the last person to see her alive, maybe you might know how we could find him?"

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 am
by HelplessBystander
"I have no idea. In last night's chaos, steady book-keeping is hardly realistic. It may be possible, but we only have a rough idea of when she escaped, not a specific time.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:12 pm
by DrPeterson
John raises his hands to ward off any accusations.

"I was airborne for most of the night, ma'am, that is, until I wasn't anymore."

He smiles and straightens his jacket.

"Does it say who this pilot was and where he was stationed?"

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 am
by leestriter
"Dr. Jenkins and I went to talk to Madeline Exter, Catherine Exter's daughter. Anna did most of the talking but I think she's hiding something upstairs in her home, nothing more I could find out without breaking in."

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 am
by yockenthwaite
"I think I remember reading about the British Museum case years ago," says Elizabeth, looking towards her friends part way through as she speaks. "Maybe there's no link, but if she was involved with another violent assault after escaping ..." She pauses. "Might the daughter be open to other people going to approach her? We could go and talk to her, if that might help. And yes, following up the RAF pilot would be good, if that could be done."

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 pm
by Thorn
Brook nods to Elisabeth, also remembering.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Exeter was the daughter's maiden name," added Anna. "Her married name is Madeline Steadman."

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:20 am
by aine
Mrs Cruikshank looks at John and smiles, 'We didn't suspect you because Nell's beau only has one leg; he lost the other in action. And she was out with him last night so her landlady says.' She thumbs through the little book, 'Here is the last entry in her diary,

"September 6th, I met the most darling man today! Jimmy is quite dashing and handsome, an RAF pilot. He lost his leg and nearly his life defending our country from the Jerries. He's married, which is not unusual for my clients, but it does mean I may not be able to keep him for myself. Still, I'll enjoy his company while I can. He's awfully shy when I bring up business, which is also not unusual, but I'm sure he'll partake of the forbidden fruit in the end. They always do. He said he'd like to see me some evening."

'Do you think you could find out Who Nell's pilot is from that? I'd have thought he must be stationed quite close with just the one leg to peddle about on.'

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:34 pm
by DrPeterson
John listens intently to Mrs Cruikshank's description and his eyes widen.

"I..., I might have an idea where to look..."

He clears his throat, and head, and speaks up.

"I'm going to go and see about this one-legged Jimmy, but I'd like to know what you find out about all of this too. Will we meet up here later on?"

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:19 pm
by HelplessBystander
"Of course. I'll visit the museum first and see if you could offer any further insights to Exter's story before heading back here anyways." Anna nodded. "Quick question: how far was the body found relative to the sanitarium. Is it humanly possible for Ms. Exter to be behind this?"

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:20 pm
by aine
"Would you mind two old ladies tagging along, John? You see, we probably knew her best. Which is to say, not really all that well at all but we've known of her for a long time and we've tried to help her over the years; I think Mrs Duncan and I would like to finish the job so to speak." Says Mrs Duncan.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 am
by jaysun81
Story has been standing there quietly listening to the conversation and finally says (more to himself than anyone else), "Catherine Exeter... that's a name I haven't heard in a long time." He looks at his companions with a hint of concern flashing over his face before saying, "Keep your guard up. It seems..." Glancing momentarily at Tinker as he continues, "Tinker isn't the only ghost from our past to return."

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:42 pm
by HelplessBystander
"Really, are you an old acquaintance of hers?" Anna asked.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:15 pm
by DrPeterson
John smiles apologetically and scratches the back of his head.

"I don't know, ladies, I'd be more than happy to have you along, but airbase security might see the issue differently."

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:20 pm
by jaysun81
Story smiles at Anna and says, "I had the occasion to met her husband, Professor Winston Exeter, a few years back. He was an Egyptologist if I recall correctly."

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:04 pm
by aine
"Well, you know best I'm sure." Says Phyllis Cruckshank to John and she sits down on a hard pew to listen to the others. Then she has a thought, "Where is the warehouse where you found Nell's body?" she asks the room at large.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:19 pm
by HelplessBystander
jaysun81 wrote:Story smiles at Anna and says, "I had the occasion to met her husband, Professor Winston Exeter, a few years back. He was an Egyptologist if I recall correctly."
"...interesting. I'm guessing the assault that happened at the museum was somehow related to Egyptian cults or something along that line?" Anna took a shot in the dark "Because of the fact that the incident had happened in a museum...and the fact that Catherine Exter was a bit of an unstable person, I'm going to make an inference that the motive behind the violent assault happened to be of esoteric origins? Am I incorrect in my deductions?"

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:50 am
by Pastiche
Benjamin scratches his head listening to the conversation.

"I'm not sure I'm following anymore what's going on, it seems a lot of things have happened when we were still in the church and you were elsewhere. Also, I think some of you have a shared history I was not involved in. So, would somebody who has an overview of the whole situation be so kind as to provide a brief summary of all that we know so far?"

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 am
by HelplessBystander
“If only I know.” Anna shook her head, agreeing with Benjamin. “I assure you, I’m just as confused as you are in this case. Pardon me if I sound too rude, but I believe that you’re hiding something from us, and I would very much like it if you could do me the favour of telling me exactly what it is that you are hiding from us.”

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 am
by jaysun81
"Me?" Story looks shocked.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Story/Elizabeth/Brook,The final confrontation with the cult in 1930 took place in secret chambers underneath a warehouse, not in the British Museum. The ghouls had tunneled into the basement of the British Museum, in the earlier part of that adventure.
OOC,Feel free to continue to discuss what you know and your plans with each other. So far [b]John[/b] is planning to go to the RAF base, and [b]Anna[/b] mentioned the possibility of going to the British Museum. That won't be open yet, but there is the possibility that some staff will be present. When each of you decides where you want to go next, please say where in this thread. If you're not sure what to do, you can each roll Idea.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 am
by Pastiche
Spoiler:
OOC:   Idea: 70 %[dice]0[/dice]
BTW, my in-character remarks reflect my OOC sentiment: I feel a bit lost in the plot, probably because some things that happened in other threads haven't made it back to this thread...  

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:08 pm
by aine
Mrs Cruckshank speaks up, "Well, Mrs Duncan and I went to visit Nell Murrow's ( the young girl who was savagelt attacked) land lady. We saw her room and collected all her belongings for the use of the W.I. This included her diary which I have here." She holds up a book and points to a couple of big bags of clothes behind a pew. "Nell was seeing a pilot and I think she had a date with him last night when she was killed. As Mrs Duncan and I can't go to the airbase, we are at a loss at what to do next. Do you have anything to add, Mrs Duncan?"
idea,(70%) roll: 34

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm
by DrPeterson
John looks somewhat embarrassed by the situation.

"I'm really sorry, ladies, but I'd feel bad about dragging you all the way out to the airbase and that's you'd be made to wait outside. Would you mind if I took that diary with me, just in case I need some leverage to get her lover to talk?"

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 am
by leestriter
"John, do you think I might join you at the airbase? I am a civil servant, after all" spoke Lord Colville.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 pm
by DrPeterson
"You're welcome to come along, but I'm not sure if your status will allow you access beyond the gates. "

He straightens his jacket and frowns.

"This is sensitive matter and I'm not sure if an outsider, who's not a pilot, will help things along. I think the best call here is to just trust me, buddy."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm
by HelplessBystander
“I’m sure there’s something that we can do in the meantime. After all, we aren’t all decoration waiting in the background.” Anna sighed. She found that she’s sighing a lot these days.
Idea 80%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:57 pm
by aine
"Well, I suppose it's alright, you can drop the diary back here when you're done; if the Reverend doesn't mind." Mrs Duncan gives the little diary to John along with a hard stare. "Just mind that you do, young man."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:16 pm
by DrPeterson
John smiles a million dollar smile as he receives the diary.

"Scout's honor, madam."

He quickly thumbs through the diary for the relevant passage, reads it, and tucks the booklet into his jacket pocket.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:32 pm
by Pastiche
Benjamin turns to Anna, trying to clear up more of his confusion.

"You said Rufus found a mangled body. Is this Nell you're talking about or somebody else? I thought Eddy was the one that discovered Nell... Also, what have you been able to find out about what happened at the museum so far?"

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:40 am
by leestriter
"I apologize, I did not find the body but had been investigating it, I believe I was unclear with Anna. The woman was indeed Nell Murrow, rest her soul."

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 am
by HelplessBystander
“I wasn’t aware of the name of the woman, but I was aware that the mangled body was important and possibly murder by Exter.” Anna added helpfully.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, I think you've covered it, Mrs. Cruckshank," said Maggie Duncan.

"You may borrow the diary if you think it will help lay the poor girl to rest," said Giles Curry. "Whoever - or whatever - killed her is still out there, and it could strike again."
Phyllis/Benjamin/Anna,There weren't a whole lot of options with so many places closed on Sunday. [b]Madeline Steadman[/b] bore closer scrutiny. Currently there was no telling what she was doing, but it might be a good idea to have someone follow and watch her. There might also be something of interest in her home. Of course, it could not be searched while she was at home, and breaking in could be problematic even in her absence. The British Museum might be another source of information, but it wasn't open yet, and even then getting access to the information they needed might not be so easy. They would need someone with connections there to gain access to the Reading Room, and that was assuming the research materials they needed hadn't been transferred to protect them from air raids. If the creature that had killed [b]Nell Murrow[/b] existed, then there was a good chance that there had been other encounters with it or something like it in the past. Trying to find out more about it was one possible avenue of research.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:00 am
by leestriter
Rufus will end up going to the museum with Anna.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:40 pm
by aine
Phyllis Cruckshank looks at Mrs Duncan and then the room at large, "We could do a bit of collecting for charity on Mrs Steadman's Road. Talk to the locals, collect old clothes for the W.I. and generally have a look-see couldn't we, Maggie? We can always do with more help if anyone else wants to come along with us."

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:27 pm
by HelplessBystander
“Something tells me that I would want to talk with the British museum about those incidents as quickly as possible. Perhaps I’ll have a talk with them first before doing anything else.” Anna said.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 am
by Pastiche
Benjamin is interested in going to the museum.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Does the diary name the airman?" Elizabeth asks John. "Or if not do you think you will have enough clues to identify him?"

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:51 pm
by DrPeterson
John gives Elizabeth his most charming smile.

"There's not that many one-legged Jimmy's around, Miss, I think I know where to start looking."

He grins as he adds in a whisper.

"Sure you don't want to come along? I'm sure I could get you into the base."

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, aye, Phyllis," said Maggie Duncan with a nod. "Good thinking."

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:02 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth laughs. "Fair point! And yes, to the other idea please." She turns to her friends, and says "I want to go with him, I'd like to investigate this."

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 pm
by DrPeterson
John smiles at Story, giving his most earnest expression.

"Sir, despite the pretense I'll use to get her onto the base, I swear I'll treat your daughter with the utmost civility."

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 pm
by jaysun81
Story opens his mouth to say something, but he monetarily pauses and instead returns John's smile. He then simply says, "Thank you. I will hold you to that." To Elizabeth he says, "Be safe." He then looks to Brook and says to her, "Shall we go to the museum with those that are heading that way?"

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Will do," says Elizabeth, smiling in response to Story's comments. "Take care you two as well."

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:56 pm
by Thorn
Brook nods to Story. "Sure, "dad"." She smiles, then looks concerned at Elisabeth. "Take care. Perhaps we should decide on where to meet up." She looks back to Story. "Here might be best? In case there's another air raid?"

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 am
by jaysun81
Nodding in agreement Story says, "Capital idea Brook. Let's plan to meet back here."

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Story[/b], [b]Brook[/b], [b]Rufus[/b], [b]Benjamin[/b], and [b]Anna[/b] are moving to the thread linked below:
Haunted by the Past
OOC,[b]Elizabeth[/b] and [b]John[/b] are moving to the thread linked below:
Among the Few
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
Making the Rounds
OOC,Everyone else is moving to the thread linked below:
Staying Behind