Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 2-House of Secrets(Everyone)

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Queensway, Bayswater- London, England
5:30 PM - Sunday, September 8, 1940

After a brief stop at Charles Davis's general store to collect supplies, the group took the Central Line to Queensway and made its way to the Steadman house, which was one of several similar-looking two-story houses in a row on a side street. It was on the left side of the street, and the blackout curtains covered the windows, though there was still daylight remaining. Accompanying Charles were Story, Elizabeth, Brook, Archie, Phyllis, Maggie, Benjamin, Seamus, and Anna. Story and his companions recognized the house from their earlier visit to London.

Re: IC-Ep 2-House of Secrets(Everyone)

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 pm
by aine
Phyllis points her large umbrella at the house. "That's the one. And Doris lives in the one next door. Mrs Duncan and I could go and see if she's seen anything this afternoon?" She vaguely addresses the old man who, even though he makes even Phyllis seem young in comparison, seems to be in charge.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:18 pm
by yockenthwaite
OOC,I'm looking back in the old Terror Out of Time thread. Am I right that this is the Exeter house we saw before? I think that's been explained to the other TARDIS folks in this game, but not Elizabeth. Thanks!

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy
"Aye, that sounds like a good idea," agreed Maggie with a nod.
OOC,Yes, you're right. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:28 am
by yockenthwaite
OOC,Thank you :)
Turning to Story and Brook Elizabeth says quietly "That's the Exeters' house that we knew isn't it?" She looks at the house with interest, curious to assess what has changed since their last visit. At least from the outside.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
The only differences Elizabeth noticed from the outside were the addition of the blackout curtains, which prevented her from seeing inside, and the absence of wrought-iron railings on the stairs leading up to the front door. Those had probably been salvaged for the war effort.
OOC,You're welcome. :)

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:19 pm
by Thorn
Brook nods. "That's the one. Do you think anybody's home?" She looks at the black curtains, wondering if anyone is looking back out at them right now.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 am
by DrkRoxas
Seamus looks at the big house and then hears Brook's concern.

"I'm wondering the same, we should be careful with how we tackle this" He then proceeds to walk a few steps in each direction, trying to scan the surroundings.

"Are we going the stealthy route?" he said with his signature crooked grin and confident eyes.
OOC,Do I see anything in particular? Perhaps should I roll a Spot Hidden or Listen?

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:55 am
by Shelfunit
Charles looks around "We're a large group of people, in daylight, people could have seen us" He shuffles uncomfortably as the idea of law breaking slinks its way into his thoughts "Perhaps we should wait until after dark, or until Lord Colville is with us, in case one of the neighbours calls the police?"

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:08 pm
by aine
"The house looks much the same as it did earlier, so they are probably still not there." Phyllis Cruckshank makes a decision, "Well we can't stand here all day like lemons. Only one way to find out, come on Maggie!" The old lady adjusts her large hat and then bustles purposely across the street to the house next door. She climbs the steps, uses the door knocker and then waits, listening intently. "I hope Doris is in." She says to Maggie Duncan.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:41 pm
by HelplessBystander
Anna trails after Phllyis, interested in helping the older woman, she shook her head slightly, somewhat out of it.
OOC:   Yeah, I'm back. Sorry 'bout the absence, hope my return isn't too unwelcome.  

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:26 am
by DrkRoxas
Seamus looks at the old ladies going to the house next door and smiles at their enthusiasm, just before turning to Anna.

"Hey there missy, do you know why these ladies are going to that house? I got distracted thinking about how to break into the first one and suddenly we switched targets." He said with a confident crooked smirk, looking straight at Anna's eyes.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:23 am
by HelplessBystander
“Well, I suppose a look around the neighbourhood did no harm to anyone.” Anna said evenly, making eye contact with Seamus.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:23 am
by Shelfunit
Charles tentatively nudges Seamus "I say, Mr O' Leary, you seem...accustomed to this sort of endeavour, how would you suggest we, um, proceed in gaining entry?". To anyone paying even vague attention to Charles, he is clearly nervous, but at the same time gives the impression of contained excitement at doing something so new, and dangerous.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:04 am
by DrkRoxas
Seamus looks at Anna with a puzzled look, just before feeling a nudge. As he turns around he sees Charles speaking to him in a weird voice that's a mix of excitement and fear, kinda ringing some bells from when Seamus started his... liberal ways, the rush and thrill were the best part of it.

He then remembers how adamant Charles was before when talking about this monster thing being a farce, which made Seamus pissed at the moment, but he kept it together and answered with a crooked smile in his face.

"I'm still surprised you tagged along, since you really didn't believe much of this situation, what happened sir?" He said as he laid one hand on Charles's shoulder gently, as if they were close pals.

"Well, I think we should gather some intel on the surroundings of the house before we make any moves, when we have some intel, if possible, I could try breaking in through some door or window, piece of cake!"

Seamus then points backwards in Anna's direction and says: "Although it seems some of our friends are going to the house next door" just before turning and speaking to her: "Are you going with them or staying here, love?"

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:47 pm
by HelplessBystander
"I'm going with them for a look, there's nothing quite so reassuring as an alienist at the side to calm any residual fears." Anna grinned, casting a sideways glance at the house, "Besides, you never know, maybe we could persuade the neighbours to not look out the window, should something happen, you know?"

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Maggie and Anna followed Phyllis up to the front door of Doris Spangler's house. Shortly after Phyllis knocked, it was opened by a short woman with curly gray hair, around fifty years old. "Mrs. Cruckshank, Mrs. Duncan, welcome back!" she said. "Who's your young friend?"
OOC,There is nothing unusual that [b]Seamus[/b] can see, but you are free to roll Listen.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:21 am
by HelplessBystander
Anna smiled, and made a small curtsy, Anna Jerkins, practising alienist from a sanatorium a few street-corners down. Pleasure to meet you, miss.”

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 am
by aine
"Oh, Doris, I'm glad you are at home and well. This young lady is also looking for Mrs Steadman's mother. She's a kind of nurse." Phyllis explains, looking over her shoulder and speaking quietly, knowing how well neighbours' ears can twitch. "has there been anyone home nextdoor this afternoon?"

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 pm
by Shelfunit
Charles hides a grin from seeing Seamus shot down so expertly, waiting until Anna has wandered away before clearing his throat, and speaking again. "Well, Mr O'Leary, I'm sure that something is amiss - the man from the Government said so - but monsters?" Charles looks from side to side as if looking for something " Have you seen any monsters around, really?".

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:50 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Why don't we just knock on the door and see if anyone's in?" says Elizabeth to the others. "We're here as a group, we can hardly hide. The neighbours will have seen us, I'm sure. We might as well just take a direct approach. And if that fails, well we'll work out a backup plan."

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm
by jaysun81
Story nods in agreement to Brook's response to Elizabeth. It's an interesting thing being back at this house, he takes the external appearance in for a moment as the rest of the group converse with one another.

Turning his attention to Elizabeth, Story says, "I agree. What's the point in dilly dallying." He begins to make his way to the front door.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:07 pm
by DrkRoxas
Seamus turns to Charles, and gets really close to his face.

"Yes mate, monsters are real, you're free to not believe it, but someone dear to me was killed by one, so if you want us to work together, I suggest you try to keep your skepticism in check until you see it" He said, just before backing a little bit from Charles and realizing the rest was moving to the house.

"Come on Charlie mate, it seems we're gonna get answers soon, and then you'll see like me" Said Seamus with a crooked grin on his face, just before turning around and walking towards the house behind Story.

On the way, he tried to listen to anything unusual.
Seamus's Listen:25,[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 pm
by Shelfunit
Charles, having had dealings with the Irish in his past keeps quiet so as not to provoke Seamus, but makes a mental note to ask him about his encounter later. With a slightly pained expression at having to move quicker than usual, he follows the others, keeping an eye out for the "monsters" he is starting to imagine are now lurking behind every bush...

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy
"It's good to meet you too, Miss Jerkins," said Doris. "I'm Mrs. Doris Spangler. Mrs. Steadman did come home, but she was alone then. The Major also arrived not that long ago."

Story and some of the others reached the door to the Steadman house. The brass knocker was just waiting for someone to bang it against the door.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:57 am
by HelplessBystander
“I see...this is certainly useful information, ma’am. Would you care to invite us inside for a cup of tea? The weather’s not that great.” Anna said, giving the lady a friendly smile and a gentle handshake.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:09 pm
by aine
Phyllis frowns at Anna's forwardness; girls these days, no sense of propiety! She's about to say something when she notices the large group of people heading towards nextdoor. "Lawks! That does it. Right into the Lion's Den. Maybe we will come in for a cup of tea if that's alright, Doris? And maybe watch from the parlour?" She pushes Maggie and Anna politely but swiftly through the door.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:37 pm
by jaysun81
Upon reaching the door Story reaches out and takes hold of the knocker. He then proceeds to bang it against the door a few times.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, of course," said Doris, stepping aside to allow Phyllis, Maggie, and Anna into her house. "Won't you come in?" she added, though they already were. She closed the door, and the ladies went into the parlor and watched from the window.

Shortly afterward, the door of the Steadman house was opened by a pretty woman with black hair in her early twenties, wearing a checkered red and white dress. "Can I help you, sir?" she asked Story.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm
by HelplessBystander
Anna tried closing the curtains facing the neighbours' house without Doris noticing, and tried to start some small talk, "Miss, would you quite mind to enjoy a game of cards with us? I'm sure any matter can be talked over with the help of a cup o' divine tea and a round of fun."
Sneak 50%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 pm
by jaysun81
Story smiles at the young woman and says, "Yes, I've been a way many years and was hoping to catch up with Mrs Exeter. I hear she's only recently popped back in. I knew her husband... poor fellow really. It's a shame what happened to him you know." Briefly looking at the sky then back to the girl he continues, "I really must apologies for having you hold the door open for so long, it really is a dreadful day. Mind if we come in?" He flashes a toothly grin, but before she can answer he follows up with a more pressing question, "Would you mind popping the kettle on for a spot of tea? These really are deary days, and tea...well, tea is a remedy for the deary." He makes a motion - which if not challenged, as he's hoping to catch her off gaurd - will find him pushing past her and heading towards the parlour area.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Doris saw Anna closing the blackout curtains, but she did not think anything of it. "It's Mrs., dear," she said to Anna. "Why, yes, a game of cards would be nice. Bridge, perhaps? There are four of us."
OOC,[b]Story[/b], please roll Fast Talk.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 am
by HelplessBystander
"Of course, Mrs. Doris, I deign to sound rude, but yes, a game of Bridge certainly sounds appropriate." Anna smiled, looking at Doris as the woman brought out a pack of cards.
OOC:   Is it okay if I say that Doris has a pack of playing cards on hand?  

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 pm
by jaysun81
FAILURE,Fast Talk - 05% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:34 pm
by Shelfunit
Charles, seeing the tongue tied leader of the group having problems, steps forward. "Excuse me Miss, what my... associate means is that we were sent by the...asylum Mrs Exeter was staying at, and...we were wondering if we could come in and...discuss any possible places she could be...um.. holed up in" he trails off a little desperately, looking at Story as if to say 'it couldn't turn out worse than your attempt"...

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:15 pm
by DrkRoxas
Seamus smiles with his eyes closed, arms crossed and head lowered in response to Story's attempt, it reminded him of when he tried to ask out the girls he liked when he was little.

He rose his head when he heard Charles and stayed close to him, acknowledging his try, he had more guts than he seemed.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You shouldn't post actions for NPCs. [b]Doris[/b] does have a deck of cards somewhere, but she'd probably have to go and get it. In any case, I'll wait to see how [b]Phyllis[/b] responds before posting what she does. [b]Charles[/b], you may also try a Fast Talk roll.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:44 pm
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Sorry Mr. Handy, I'll keep that in mind next time.  

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:44 pm
by Shelfunit
Charles Fast Talk:70,[dice]0[/dice]
...sigh... :roll: 3 for 3 now. My time will come!

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy
The woman did not budge and remained blocking the doorway. "Hang about, you can't just come barging in!" she protested. "My husband and I are just about to sit down to supper. Who exactly are you people?"
OOC,[b]Mrs. Steadman[/b]'s Psychology roll: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 am
by DrkRoxas
Seamus slowly walks to Charles's side and puts his hand around his shoulders, he then smiles warmly at the woman before speaking.

"Miss, I'm sorry about the rudeness of my colleague over there and lack of explanation for our visit." He says as he shoots a glare at Story. But as my partner Charlie here states, although a bit vaguely, we are doing some research about patients from the asylum, and would like to see if Mrs. Exeter has had a proper house life since her arrival here.

He then pats Charles's shoulder and lets go, just before extending his hand to the miss, putting up his crooked smile and speaking in a soft voice. "I can't really keep talking until I show due respect and ask your name miss, what might it be? My name is Seamus O'Leary, a pleasure meeting you."
Persuade 50 just in case,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:13 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm Madeline Steadman," the woman said, putting her hands on her hips. "I don't know where you're getting your information, but it's wrong. My mother hasn't lived here since before she went to the sanitarium."
OOC,That would be a Fast Talk roll, but it fails either way.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:21 pm
by Pastiche
Mr. Handy wrote:"I don't know where you're getting your information, but it's wrong. My mother hasn't lived here since before she went to the sanitarium."
Benjamin decides the time is right to try a little subterfuge. "If you don't mind us asking, do you know where she is at the moment? You see, we have reason to believe she could be in terrible danger, and we have information that could help her!"
Spoiler:
Persuade 45%: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm
by aine
Phyllis sniffs, "I don't hold with cards; it's akin to gambling in my mind. But you carry on as you wish." She walks over to the window and 'dresses' the curtain so that she can watch what is going on next door.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy
"I've really no idea," said Madeline to Benjamin, "Why don't you ask your friends at the sanitarium? They're the ones who managed to lose her."

"Well, that's bridge out, then," Doris said to Anna. "Still, there's games we could play with three."

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 am
by HelplessBystander
"Well, I suppose there's other games to be played to pass the time. Do you happen to have a copy of the landlord's game? I heard it was quite the phenomenon overseas." Anna said, desperately trying to think of any way she could to pass the time.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:29 pm
by DrkRoxas
Seamus looks confused, and all this charade is starting to get to him, he tries his best to keep his cool and continues the conversation with Madelaine.

"What do you mean lose her? Wasn't she supposed to have come back here? Did something happen on the way? This is unacceptable." he said looking serious and trying to keep his straight face, trying to show genuine concern.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 am
by Mr. Handy
"You mean Monopoly?" Doris asked Anna."I've heard of It, but I don't have it. My children are long since grown, so I don't really buy those sorts of games. I do have cards, but most games require four players. There's gin rummy, but that only takes two."

"Quite all right," said Maggie, going over to join Phyllis at the window. "I'll sit this one out. You two go ahead and play."

"I'll get my deck then," said Doris. "We can play at the dining room table."

"You're bloody right it's unacceptable!" said Madeline in an angry tone. "Just this morning a woman from the sanitarium came here to tell me my mother had gotten loose during the air raid last night, and they can't find her! She certainly hasn't been released. If they're claiming that, that's downright despicable!"

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:06 am
by HelplessBystander
"Hmm...Bit of a dilemma, then, miss. What do you propose we do for the duration of our visit?" Anna said cheerfully.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 pm
by jaysun81
Story looks at Madeline and turns around, stepping away from the door as he mumbles to himself, "Interesting." Looking back at her he says, "Tell me... do you have a shed or perhaps a basement?"

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 am
by Mr. Handy
"We can still play gin rummy," Doris told Anna. "It plays two, and the other ladies don't want to play."

"I've got an Anderson shelter round the back," said Madeline to Story.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:48 am
by HelplessBystander
“Sure. Sure. I think I roughly know the rules.” Anna sat down with a big smile on her face as she rubbed her hands expectantly.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:18 pm
by aine
Phyllis looks surrepticiously through a gap in the curtain, watching what's going on on the steps next door.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:52 am
by jaysun81
Story nods at Madeline and says, "We've been a terrible bother, and I apologize for that. However, if I may be so bold to make one last humble request in light of your mother's escape. After which we will be off, not to bother you anymore." He pauses momentarily before continuing, "May I ask you to check the shelter?"

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:49 am
by DrkRoxas
Seamus hears what Story said and looks away, turning his face the opposite direction from Madelaine, in order to not get seen. He muffles a laugh and then his eyes open widely as he shows a big crooked smirk on his face, just on his left side. He couldn't help but be amused by Story's bluntness, and just decided to let it all play out for his own amusement.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Doris went to retrieve a deck of cards and returned shortly. She sat down across from Anna, shuffled the deck, allowed Anna to cut, and then dealt the cards.

"I don't mind," Madeline said to Story. "You can check the shelter if you like."
OOC,[b]Anna[/b], please roll Luck.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 am
by HelplessBystander
Luck 80%,[dice]0[/dice]

Anna lays down her card, confident in her skills.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:18 pm
by Shelfunit
Charles looks a little nervous "That's around the back is it?" he inquires of Madeline, echoing her, seemingly lost in his thoughts.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:06 am
by jaysun81
Story smiles at Madeline and nods his thanks, awaiting her response to Charles query.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:16 am
by Mr. Handy
It didn't take long for Anna to get the right cards to declare gin. "Oh, well done!" said Doris. "I may have met my match in you. You're already about halfway to winning. Care to keep going?"

"Yes, that's what I said," replied Madeline. "Just go to the end of the block - it's not far - and turn right. You'll find the alley going behind this block on the right. Count the houses and you'll be there."

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:51 pm
by HelplessBystander
“Sure.” Anna said, continuing to play. “So, Miss, what can you say about the Steadmans”

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 am
by Mr. Handy
"Major James Steadman is nice enough," said Doris as she shuffled the deck and dealt the cards. "He's in the RAF, you know. Lost his leg fighting to keep us safe. His wife Madeline, well, I'm not one to gossip, but she's a bit of an odd duck. Her parents both went mad, you see, ten years ago. Her father was killed, and her mother was put away. She was raised by her aunt. I really shouldn't be so hard on her, it couldn't have been easy for the poor dear."

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 am
by HelplessBystander
“Who is her aunt?” Anna raised an eyebrow, “Pardon, but I don’t recall any papers saying Madeline Steadman’s mother had a sister.”

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:04 pm
by aine
Phyllis attempts to hear as well as see what's going on.
listen,(25% roll: 13%)

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:18 pm
by DrkRoxas
"Well then, let's get moving, I'm sorry for the inconvenience miss, hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us." Seamus said as he turned around, starting to walk, with a sarcastic crooked smile on his face.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy
"I've never met her," said Doris to Anna. "She took custody of Madeline after her parents...I believe her name is Gladys."

Phyllis was able to hear as well as see the exchange next door.

"Good evening, gentlemen," said Madeline. She closed her front door as Seamus walked away.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:22 am
by Pastiche
Benjamin sighs. "Well, that was not very helpful... Let's check out the shelter then, shall we?"

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:14 am
by DrkRoxas
Seamus hears Benjamin's claim and chooses to take it upon himself to walk on the front. Steady but aware of his surroundings, he walks towards the shelter, keeping an eye out for strange things, feeling the thrill rushing through his veins.
Spot Hidden 75%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

The group went around to the alley behind the house. The Anderson shelter was actually composed of corrugated steel rather than tin, which made it very strong. It was about six feet high, so tall occupants would need to duck in order to fit inside, though once seated they would not risk bumping their heads. It went about the same distance back, and it was a little less wide. Inside the shelter were two benches, one on either side, stretching to the back of the shelter upon which the occupants could sit or even lie down. It seemed rather ordinary, similar to other Anderson shelters in this alley and throughout London. Looking inside, Seamus could see signs of recent occupation.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 am
by Pastiche
Benjamin tries to look over Seamus's shoulder, but he's just too tall. "Do you see anything interesting?" he asks excitedly.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:06 pm
by aine
"They've gone round the back to look at the shelter for some reason. Doris, do you share the shelter with the Steadmans?" Phyllis keeps an eye on the front of the house still.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:22 am
by HelplessBystander
"It would certainly be nice to know." Anna said hurriedly.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, dear, I've my own," said Doris. "I was in it last night, though no bombs fell near here."
Seamus,It appeared that at least two people had been in the shelter. There were signs that someone had been on both of the benches.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:48 pm
by yockenthwaite
"It's amazing how these could protect people enough," says Elizabeth, bending down, and looking inside the shelter to see if there are any clues.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:02 am
by DrkRoxas
Seamus hears Benjamin and steps in, as to let him and some of the others go in with him.

"Well, it seems like an ordinary shelter, but something seems weird, time to start digging mates!" he said with a crooked smile on his face, thrilled with excitement, looking around for any clues that could be of use.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Elizabeth[/b], and anyone else looking in the shelter, you may roll Spot Hidden. [b]Seamus[/b] has already rolled and found out what he could.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:44 am
by Pastiche
"Let's see if there's anything interesting here.... Heh, what's this?" Benjamin exclaims.
Spoiler:
Spot hidden 50%[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:38 pm
by Shelfunit
Charles pokes his head inside, sniffs a bit at the construction materials, thinking his old factory could have supplied better in its day, and squints in an unlikely effort to spot anything the others may not have.
Charles Spot Hidden: 25,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth rolling Spot Hidden (stat 48%):
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:42 pm
by jaysun81
Story attempted to see into the shelter.
FAILURE,Spot Hidden - 38% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:53 am
by HelplessBystander
Mr. Handy wrote:"No, dear, I've my own," said Doris. "I was in it last night, though no bombs fell near here."
"Yeah, it was quite a long night for us as well, dunno when anything's going to...or not going to happen. Scared me to bits this morning." Anna said, in sympathy. "I don't mean to pry, Ms. Doris, but did you happen to have heard any loud or suspicious noises in the neighbourhood last night? Like, say, a loud beast that disappeared by daylight?"

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy
"Nothing like that," said Doris. "All I heard last night was the sirens going off, and the bombs falling in the distance."
Benjamin Klein,The shelter showed signs of recent occupation.
Elizabeth Young,It appeared that at least two people had been in the shelter. There were signs that someone had been on both of the benches. [b]Elizabeth[/b] also noticed something else. Underneath one of the benches was a protruding nail with a strip of white fabric caught on it. When she pulled it free, she noticed a label on it that read "Maxwell's Sanitarium."

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:21 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Look at this!" says Elizabeth, holding up the piece of white fabric to show the others. "I spotted it snagged on a nail under one of the benches. It's a piece of fabric with a label from Maxwell's Sanitarium. So I guess she was here?"

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:41 am
by jaysun81
Story smiles his appreciation at the keen eye of his companion and says, "An excellent discovery Elizabeth."

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:16 am
by Shelfunit
Charles furrows his brow. "Do you.. (and he looks around at no one in particular) ..think our escapee is likely to return here? Should we set a watch on the shelter?"

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:24 pm
by yockenthwaite
"She may well do," says Elizabeth, nodding in response to Charles's question. "I mean if it is her - and it looks likely - she'd feel safe here if anywhere, by her home, and it would make sense for her to come back."

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:54 am
by Pastiche
"Is there a place where we can safely keep watch? Perhaps from the neighbour's house?" Benjamin wonders.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:24 am
by DrkRoxas
"Do you really think she'd return here? I guess her family doesn't really care for her if that's the case, and they even sent us here... Seems weird they wouldn't see her if she were coming here periodically."

After speaking, Seamus walks around a bit and then stops, narrows his eyes and smirks. "There's something fishy about this situation, we should be careful" He said as he widened his crooked smile.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:05 am
by HelplessBystander
Mr. Handy wrote:"Nothing like that," said Doris. "All I heard last night was the sirens going off, and the bombs falling in the distance."
"Ah. Of course," Anna said in disappointment, before muttering silently under her breath, "Wasn't possible anyways..."

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 am
by Pastiche
DrkRoxas wrote:"Do you really think she'd return here? I guess her family doesn't really care for her if that's the case, and they even sent us here... Seems weird they wouldn't see her if she were coming here periodically."
"Well, she came here at least once, and her family didn't notice. Or at least that's what they said. It's the only lead we have at the moment..." Benjamin counters.

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 am
by aine
Phyllis Cruckshank keeps watching out of the front window. "They've all gone round to the back to look at the shelters. Do you want to go too, Anna? I'm keeping watch out of the front in case the Steadmans come out this way but there's been nothing else happening."

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:47 pm
by HelplessBystander
"Sure, I'll go and have a look." Anna said, standing, trying to think of a way to exit politely.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:04 am
by yockenthwaite
"Maybe the neighbours would help," says Elizabeth. "I agree this is the best clue we have. And I do think she is likely to come back, even if her family don't know anything about it."

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy
"You've got gin again," said Doris when Anna put down her cards. "You're just too good at this for me. Don't feel you need to stand on ceremony, dear, if you need to leave. It's getting on towards suppertime anyway."

Anna went outside and went around back to where the others were gathered around the Anderson shelter.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 pm
by HelplessBystander
Approaching the group, Anna waved a bit with her right hand, "Well, hello, good folks, what did I miss?"

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:30 pm
by Pastiche
"Looks like she was here alright..." Benjamin fills her in. "We're thinking of keeping a watch on the shelter. Would the neighbour's house be a suitable location, you think? Would she be willing to let us use her house for that?"

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 am
by HelplessBystander
"Possibly. Yes." Anna said briefly, looking at Benjamin.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:51 am
by jaysun81
"Perhaps we should watch both the shelter and the house. After all, the daughter's husband may have ran out back and tipped mom off while we were asking questions at the door." Story runs his hand through his hair and looks in the shelter one last time and says, "Of course one of us could always hide out here in the shelter until the morning... under a blanket or a bench."

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:04 pm
by aine
Once Anna has left, Phyllis turns to Doris, "Is it that time already? I'm sorry we've taken so much of your time up Doris, you've been so kind and we shouldn't keep you from your supper."

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"You're quite welcome, and I do like company," said Doris. "It was a pleasure meeting you. Feel free to stop by again any time."

"Likewise, dearie," said Maggie.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:13 pm
by DrkRoxas
Seamus looks at Story as he makes his suggestion and smirks.

"Sounds like you're volunteering yourself, pal! I'm off to watching from outside, I think they're hiding something. If the neighbor's house is the only place where we can keep watch, I'll go with it, but I'd prefer to be far from them too. Seems weird no one has noticed the lady coming here at all. He said as he walked and waited by the shelter's door, waiting for everyone to start moving.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is there anyone who doesn't want to stake out the house or the shelter? If so, please let me know where you want to go instead. If you're staying, and you haven't already done so, please indicate whether you're going to be behind the house, in front of it, or in [b]Doris[/b]'s house next door. If you're going to be hiding somewhere specific (such as inside a shelter), please let me know that as well. You may also each make a Hide roll to see how well hidden you are if you'd rather not be seen.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:39 am
by Pastiche
Spoiler:
Benjamin will be staying in Doris's house, bravely in the rear lines...

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:29 pm
by aine
Phyllis gets up to go, "Oh I almost forgot, I wanted to show you these; I'm having problems with the corners and wondered if you had any ideas with the stitches I should use, Doris." Phyllis opens her huge handbag and pulls out the half finished, pink woollen drawers she had been knitting last night, showing the difficult bit to Doris. "You are obviously a keen knitter from those sweaters you gave us for charity."
ooc,Phyllis would like to stay in the house but she's not the sort to around inviting herself; not obviously at least.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:11 pm
by jaysun81
"Very well, for what it's worth I shall wait it out here." Story begins looking around to see where and how he could hide in the shelter.
FAILURE,Hide - 10% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, of course," Doris said to Phyllis, sitting down beside her. "Yes, I see what the problem is. Here, let me show you."

Maggie took up a position by the window, peeking out through the blackout curtain.

Story soon realized that the best place to hide was under a bench. There were no blankets or anything in there he could use to cover himself, but it was possible nobody would notice him in the dark if anyone entered the shelter.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 am
by yockenthwaite
"Take care, Story," says Elizabeth, looking into the shelter as he searches. "I'm going to stay behind the house, assuming I can find a good spot to not be too obvious. If that fails I'll go next door to the neighbours." She stands up, and looks around for a suitable spot.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (stat 10%), [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:15 am
by yockenthwaite
OOC,P.S. That was a Hide role not Spot Hidden as sleepily typed. Wish it was the latter ;) My Spot Hidden skill is vastly better! Though not that high ...

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth was able to duck behind the neighbor's Anderson shelter. Chances were nobody would notice her there when going to the Steadmans' shelter, as the shelters were taller than she was. Still, someone might see her from one of the windows or coming from the other direction. Once it got dark, which wouldn't be too much longer, that would be less likely.

"Someone's coming up the walk," said Maggie. "Oh, look, it's my friend Benjamin Klein. He's a tailor, you know."

"Oh, how perfect," said Doris. "We were just discussing sewing. It would be good to have an expert contribute. Please, show him in."

Maggie opened the door for Benjamin.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:19 am
by DrkRoxas
Seamus starts walking and then reconsiders, turns around and starts looking for somewhere to hide.

"As I said, I don't trust anybody in this vicinity, the neighbors and her family surely know something, I'm going to keep watch close to here where I can make my escape if it all goes south."
Hide 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,just in case I'll do a Sneak roll which I'm actually good at, if it's accepted by any chance
Sneak 75%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Sneak doesn't really apply here, as that's to avoid being heard. Hide is to avoid being seen, which is what you need now, especially as you're going to be staying in one place. You still might not be seen, depending on if anyone happens by or succeeds at a Spot Hidden roll. Are you in front of the house, or behind it?

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:04 am
by DrkRoxas
OOC,I was planning on being close to the shelter, maybe around some bushes, but definitely not inn any of the houses or inside the shelter.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:47 pm
by aine
"Oh my," says Phyllis not sure what to think as her intimate apparel is about to be discussed in detail. She pats her hair instead and wonders if the tailor has anything to do with the "goings on" next door.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The tailor is one of your fellow investigators. I just need to know what [b]Brook[/b], [b]Anna[/b], and [b]Charles[/b] are doing. If I don't hear anything by the weekend, I'll assume they stay in front of the house.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 am
by Pastiche
aine wrote:"Oh my," says Phyllis not sure what to think as her intimate apparel is about to be discussed in detail. She pats her hair instead and wonders if the tailor has anything to do with the "goings on" next door.
Benjamin the tailor gives Phyllis a knowing wink when Doris isn't looking.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:02 pm
by Shelfunit
Charles heads around the front of the house, hoping to find somewhere relatively comfortable to sit and keep watch.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:50 pm
by aine
"Oo, you'll never guess what, Mr Klein, we've tracked the escaped lady from the asylum, Catherine Exeter, back to the house nextdoor. It belongs to Major Steadman, the one legged airman who was dating Nell Murrows who was murdered horribly last night." Phyllis pauses for breath,

"She's his mother in law and I bet his wife doesn't know about the goings-on with Nell Murrows. And some of the people who were at the church last night reckon there's something connecting Mrs Exeter and the girl's murder. She was ravaged as if by a beast you know, Doris. Or so they say.
So now we are watching the house but I don't really know how long for and I think some people are round the back so we have all the exits covered I suppose."

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Doris listens to this with eyes wide and jaw hanging open.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:53 pm
by HelplessBystander
Anna walked into Doris' house, intending to follow what appears to be the popular majority here.
OOC:   Sorry for the slow response. I went skiing for a week and had no access to wifi in the alpine mountain ranges.  

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Doris welcomed Anna back. She offered her guests a light supper, which she ate with them. TIme passed as everyone kept watch on the front and rear of the house. It was nearly an hour later, with the sun now very low in the sky, when something finally happened.

"The Steadmans are coming out the front door," said Maggie to those in Doris's house, peeking out the window around the blackout curtain. "They're turning south on the street, heading toward Queensway."

Out front, Charles and Brook watched the house and saw the couple emerge, arm in arm. Major James Steadman was wearing his RAF uniform, walking with a limp. Madeline wore a black dress that was last year's fashion, clothing costing too many ration points to buy too many outfits (unless one acquired it on the black market). As they reached the sidewalk and turned to walk to the south, Madeline took no notice of them. James, with eagle eyes befitting an ace pilot, did spot Charles, but he ignored him and kept walking. He apparently had never seen him before and thought he was merely out for an evening stroll.

Those behind the house knew nothing as yet.
OOC,That's okay, I didn't want to proceed without [b]Brook[/b] anyway, but I can see her player hasn't logged in for well over a month. I hope we haven't lost her. [b]Madeline[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll: [dice]0[/dice] [b]James[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Brook[/b]'s Hide roll (35% skill): [dice]2[/dice] [b]Charles[/b]'s Hide roll (10% base skill): [dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:23 am
by Shelfunit
OOC:   Charles wasn't really trying to hide,although at least his run of "success" remains unbroken. Brook only really needed to stand behind him for a successful hide.  

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 pm
by aine
Phyllis takes a peek too as the couple disappear. "Do you think they are just going for dinner? If my legs were younger, I might be tempted to follow them. I wonder if they've left Mrs Exeter in the house or if it is empty now. Those two gentlemen across the way are with us, I remember them from the church."

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:32 pm
by Mr. Handy
Charles felt a tap on his shoulder and nearly jumped out of his skin, startled. It was Brook. He hadn't even seen where she had gone. "I'd better tail them and see where they go," she said. "Let Story know, okay? If nobody catches me up, I'll meet him at the church later." She then began to follow the Steadmans from a discreet distance.

"I wouldn't know, Phyllis," said Maggie to her inside the house. "That dear lassie is certainly young enough. She's following them, all right."
OOC,I wasn't sure whether you meant to hide or not, so I rolled anyway just in case. [b]Brook[/b] actually got a critical success on her Hide roll.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:55 am
by DrkRoxas
OOC,Is Seamus seeing anything of this, Mr. Handy? Or can you please tell me where does Seamus stand in these events?

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You said [b]Seamus[/b] is close to the shelter, which places him behind the house, so he isn't aware of any of this.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:21 am
by Shelfunit
Charles felt a tap on his shoulder and nearly jumped out of his skin, startled. It was Brook. He hadn't even seen where she had gone. "I'd better tail them and see where they go," she said. "Let Story know, okay? If nobody catches me up, I'll meet him at the church later." She then began to follow the Steadmans from a discreet distance.
Charles nods, making a mental note of Brook's request, calling after her in a loud(ish) whisper.

"You be careful Miss Brook, if there's any trouble, you run back here"

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook nodded and then effortlessly vanished from sight behind a stand of trees as she trailed along after the Steadmans. How did she do that?

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:53 am
by HelplessBystander
Anna didn't really think much of it and looked back at Charles, "I don't know, maybe we could use this opportunity to sneak into the Steadmans' house and see what they're so intent on hiding."

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:37 am
by Shelfunit
Charles looked a little shocked at this suggestion, coming from someone who seemed so initially respectable. "I think we need to talk to Mr O' Leary for more information on that sort of thing, I think he's still around the back of the house"

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:45 pm
by HelplessBystander
"I'm sure that, at this point, we all have at least some reasonable suspicion towards Mrs Steadman. It is my job as well as my duty to make sure that Catherine Exter isn't a danger to both herself and the greater society at large. Anna smiled tiredly, "There's a war raging over our heads and if violating the sanctity of a stranger's home meant one restful night of sleep for me, that's a price I'm willing pay. Let's go find Seamus."

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
Anna and Charles made their way around to the alley behind the houses. Seamus was hiding, but he would no doubt recognize them and show himself.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:16 am
by HelplessBystander
Anna looked around, hoping to find Seamus before he found them first. Hopefully, this'll prevent him from doing something rash before reaching a consensus first.
Spot Hidden 40%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Anna was easily able to spot Seamus, as well as Elizabeth. That didn't exactly inspire her with confidence, as if she could see them, anyone else could either. Story was not in sight because he was inside the Anderson shelter.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:30 pm
by aine
"Well Dears, it's just us four oldsters left to watch the front of the house. I wonder what they can all be doing round the back in the shelters." Says Phyllis as she sits down on the sofa for a moment to rest her bones.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 am
by HelplessBystander
"Seamus, ELizabeth, we are thinking of using this opportunity to break into the Steadman's house. Would you all be interested?" Anna whispered as she hid along with Seamus and Elizabeth.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:31 am
by yockenthwaite
"Is that wise?" asks Elizabeth, doubtfully. "Obviously it's illegal, but is it likely to help us?"

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:18 am
by Pastiche
aine wrote:"Well Dears, it's just us four oldsters left to watch the front of the house. I wonder what they can all be doing round the back in the shelters." Says Phyllis as she sits down on the sofa for a moment to rest her bones.
Benjamin walks up to the window and tries to peer behind the curtain, keeping an eye on the house...

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:01 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Brook[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
Surveillance
OOC,Everyone else is moving to the thread linked below:
Breaking and Entering?