Re: August 18 - 5.45 PM - Crockey Inn

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

The hut is empty. The whole group can easily enter without being seen. The inside has a wet earth floor, which was repeatedly trampled with pinnate feet. There’s an unbearable smell of fish, which almost comes to be sickening, as if the hut had long been used to store tons of fishes.

The hut is small, there´s scarcely room for a table, a chair and some blankets piled up in a corner. Some extinguished candles, three large books, a compass, and a map of the Bay of Fundy are on the table.

The books are ancient texts of Celtic mythology. One of these describes links between the Celtic and the Greek mythology, in particular focusing on the figure of the god Pan.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,What about the other hut, the one the man entered? I wanted to sneak over there and see if anyone else is in there with him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Kathryn,Sorry I misunderstood and thought you would sneak into this one. In the other hut is the man alone. You can see him seated on a table doing something. You cannot see what, he's seated with his back facing the entrance of the hut
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kathryn slips back to Michael and Ivy are. "He's alone in there," she whispers to them. "He's sitting at a table doing something, but his back was to me, so I couldn't see what."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Well, we could sneak around here all day, or we could go introduce ourselves. Hopefully we'll get a more scintillating conversation than we've had thus far... Oh, maybe weapons drawn ready?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How about we keep our weapons concealed but within easy reach?" suggests Kathryn. "We don't want to frighten him. He may be more willing to talk if we're friendly, and if he tries anything, we can always pull out the guns at that point."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

”Yes, that’s probably for the best.”

Ivy steps forward and knocks on the entrance of the hut.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

As the investigors step inside the hut, the man turns to them. At first sight, he looks like a common young and muscular man.
However, it is not the case. Some details are strange to say the least. His skin is brown, while his hands have the reptilian characteristics of a powerful dragon. The face is somewhat human, but with slightly dilated lips and eyes, as if tending towards a transformation into sea creature. He´s wearing a Mackinaw cloth, a heavy and dense water-repellent woolen cloth with a doubled shoulder. He also wears a newsboy hat. He watches the investigators firmly, with eyelids held open and without an eye blink.
His face is surprised, like that of an animal that must act quickly to protect its den. Once he sees the intruders are not dangerous, his face becomes relaxed. Looking into his narrow eyes, it is like nothing is his to behold. An endless depth of ink, sorrow, and pain.

His voice is human, but devoid of all vitality, like someone bearing his own existence as an enormous weigh.

"I don't know what brought you to this island, but I assure you it's not a place where you want to stay for long"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Why is that?" asks Kathryn. "What can you tell us about the island?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"We are here on official business," Ivy warns the strange-looking man. "To whom are we speaking by the way?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The man now looks at the group with a little suspicion, wanting to know something more, before further exposing himself.

"I am someone who knows this island enough to warn you. Things happening here you could hardly understand. It is enough for you to know that you are in danger and by dealing with the Anderson you will contribute to the misfortune of many people. I don't know what the Andersons oferred you to do business with them. Look for another partner and get out of this place."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

By this time, Michael is ready to believe in the half-human, half-demon offspring of fornication with incubi and succubi. He tries to hide his uneasiness with this weird being. He pulls out his badge.

"This is official police business, mister. These ladies are working with me, not for Anderson." He gives the fellow a quick synopsis of the missing child case. "Why don't you make it easy on yourself and tell us what you know."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The man looks at the investigators with a serious and penetrating gaze.
"My name is Carson. Jason Carson. I'm not Timothy's father, unlike you might think. I can't have children. That's why Alyssa left me years ago. At that time, my ultimate fate was still obscure. You don't want really know who or what Timothy's father is. The island lives under the shadow of sea creatures. They use human women to breed. I went to Portland to tell Alyssa to do the right thing and kill her son, but she preferred killing herself. You will not return Timothy to Mr. Gilbert. At least, not the child he would like to have back."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We've actually seen Timothy's real father," says Kathryn. "We rescued Selma from him, though it cost her brother his life. We know what he did to Alyssa and other women. Where is Timothy now?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"Spill the beans, fella,"Michael adds. "Maybe we can help this poor kid avoid the same fate as you and the others. Get him to a doctor, or a priest. It might not be too late for you, either."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy is not surprised that this is fellow is Jason.

"So why did you kidnap the boy? To protect him?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

" I didn't kidnap Timothy. Their servants must have done it. They have servants. Here on this island their servants are the Jennings and the Andersons. But there are servants in Greyton too. Darcy Moore is the principal agent there. She brought Alyssa into the cave, as she did with other women. They took the children up north. To the place they come from. Somewhere in the bay. The Andersons or the Jennings must know where... for sure."

Anyway, you can't navigate up there. They can generate sea storms. A friend of mine tried to travel up there, but the storm stopped him and he disappeared into the sea.
"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We know about Darcy too," says Kathryn. "She's dead. I think Father Colby killed her and took Timothy away, but he's been killed too, and there's no trace of Timothy - except here. It's possible he's still on this island and hasn't been shipped out yet. Even if he has, we found a Viking ritual and used it to protect our boat from storms."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Jason nods

"So, you found Colby´s and Martin´s work and put them together. Good to hear about that. Listen, you cannot save Timothy from his fate. You cannot save Greyton from its demise. The inhabitants are already dead inside, some of them already serve the Anderson and the sea creatures. The others will do. It´s just a matter of time. I´ve been wandering and studying a lot during these years... What I´m about to tell you, will sound absurd to you... but I have no time to tell you more... and believe me, the less details you know, the best is for you. I learned how to evoke a deity, called Nodens. Nodens was worshipped in Celtic-Roman Britain, and by the Vikings as Njord, the god of the sea. Bring me Alyssa´s child, so that I can do what Alyssa should have done when I warned her. I will sacrifice him to evoke Nodens. He is the God Pan, the god of Eros, the force of life. The creatures you are fighting… must be stopped, before they extend their influence over the continent. Soon or later, they will. Nodens will cause a cataclysm that will destroy Greyton, Flowerege, and their submerged city in the bay. You will be safe here at the top of the hill. No... I don´t expect you to take my words seriously... right now... but at some point.. you probably will..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"But...he's just a child," says Kathryn. "It's not his fault what his father is and what he did. Where do you get the idea that sacrificing him will cause Nodens to do what you want, anyway? And even if you're right about that, there are innocent people who would be killed! Those women we met back in Flowerege are far too stupid to plan anything evil. I'd be surprised if they could tie their own shoes. They're practically children themselves."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Sign of Virgo”