Re: August 18 - 5.45 PM - Crockey Inn

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"They're won't be any child killin' while I'm around,"Michael growls at the man. "I ain't sayin' there ain't some truth to your story -- Heaven knows we've seen enough crazy stuff goin' on around here -- but that's where I draw the line. We can put a stop to things by trackin' down these Andersons and Jennings and readin' the Riot Act to 'em. Maybe we should take you along, too."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy shudders at the subject of child sacrifice. Surely this is the 20th century, not the dark ages?

"You've clearly been studying this a lot. Surely there are alternative rituals that you've come across? If only just hints?"
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Turstrigo »

Emma is taken aback by the suggestion. "You... You expect us to aid in killing a child? My own nephew?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

Carson does not react to the scandalized answers. He was expecting them. His mind, however, seems to follow a scale of values ​​that has little to do with the ordinary world.
He first replies to Ivy speaking firmly and categorically.

"You don't choose what a God does for you, nor what you give him in return. He does and that´s it."

Then he speaks to the whole group:
"You have not yet become aware of what you are dealing with. I have no way to help you other than what I´ve just said. I can't go with you to the Andersons or to the Jennings. They know I'm fighting them. If their servants see you with me down there, we would become an immediate target."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What can you tell us about them?" asks Kathryn. "You've obviously learned a good deal about them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

"During the mid-nineteenth century, the creatures emerged from the deep abyss of the Bay of Fundy and explored the waters to the south. They first approached this island. They selected women of the most influential families to generate their breed. Within a few decades, all members of the Anderson, Jennings and Crookey families were replaced. Consider the Andersons are a very rich family in Maine, owning many lands, many fishing boats and capital invested in the stock market. With time, Coney Island has gradually become an isolated place. Young women have been regularly selected to breed. However, most of the population is not use for procreation, but works the land in conditions of slavery, under the supervision of the Crookey and Anderson. They work in the production of whiskey and liquors, which is subsequently smuggled. Crookey is in charge of organizing the clandestine production and trade. Greyton is their next target for conquest"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do you know where they're keeping Timothy?" asks Kathryn. "We're not going to let you kill him, but we still have to get him away from them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Michael thinks to himself that this case has gotten too big for one broken-down old flatfoot and a pack of tough cookies. Once they get the kid safe, it'll be time to call in the call in the feds. Once they crack down on the bootlegging, they'll find out about the other crazy stuff.

No more Mister Nice Guy with this creep.

"Yeah, tell us where the kid is, or maybe I'll tell the Anderson and the Jennings where you've been hidin'." It's a bluff, but he hopes it works.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy stands beside Michael, doing her best to look formidable in an effort to back up her colleague.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

"You have someone in front of you who doesn't care about his life anymore. Spiritually, I don´t belong to this."

He makes a gesture to his whole body with reprobation and disgust

"I can't even be one of yours anymore, as you can see yourself. I am a prisoner in this existential border, turned into a pathetic and paradoxical being. All I want before passing away is to do something to save humanity from a possible bleak fate. I don't expect you to have me kill Alyssa's son. I myself will not try to do so without your consent. I´m still human enough to understand how unthinkable this possibility is for you. It wouldn´t be right to such responsibility lie in the hands of mine only, and there is enough time before this choice becomes critical. I told you about that because I know that your point of view could change. "
At these words, the group remembers the child's handprints on the knife that killed Colby, and a shiver runs down theirs back.

"I don't know where Alyssa's son is. I didn't even know he was kidnapped before I met you. He is the result of their breeding, so it's obvious that their Greyton agents went all the way to Portland to get it back. They have a hiding place here on the island, but I don't know where. The kid is certainly hidden on the island, but you will have to face the dominating families here to find him. Reporting my presence, will not help you find the kid. Depending on the outcome, it may difficult your chances of leaving this island alive."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy sighs, running her hand through her hair in exasperation.

"I don't know... Killing the boy is clearly a terrible thing to do, but what's happening to all the women around here is also terrible. And if that spreads..."

She shudders.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need to stop what's happening to the women here, but there has to be a better way," says Kathryn. "What about that abandoned-looking mansion? Does anyone still use it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

"That is the old house of the Andersons. They are said to have abandoned the mansion. The Jennings and Crookeys say the Andersons moved somewhere in the continent, to take care of their business. But I believe they are still here on this island. I have seen shadows entering the house at night, but never saw anyone coming out. There must be a secret place in the mansion comunicating with some other place. The townsfolk is watching the house. Don´t let them see you are around there."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I have a hunch that's where they're keeping him," says Kathryn. "If we go in, we'll have to sneak up there at night so they don't see us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"OK, pal, I'll take your word for it that you're not just handin' us a bunch of baloney. We'll sneak up to the Anderson joint and see what's cookin'. And we'll be loaded for bear. I ain't the quietest guy who ever drew breath, so I think I should stay outside at first, until we're sure the coast is clear. Or somebody lets out a scream. Then I'll come in, guns blazin', just like in the Tom Mix pictures."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds good to me," says Kathryn. "I can be quiet as a mouse, but if I'm spotted, I can scream like a banshee."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

OOC: Ivy and Emma agree to go the mansion tonight?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   Yes, Ivy agrees.  

Return to “The Sign of Virgo”