August 18 - 10.30 AM - Wellington cave

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

August 18 - 10.30 AM - Wellington cave

Post by robertod »

The four investigators along with Jeremy go up the West hill, until they reach the top. The young fisherman leads them in a small wood. Here they find the Wellington cave´s entrance. Jeremy says the cave descends for three miles until sinking below the high tide level of the sea. Once entered, the cave becomes a tunnel indeed, about nine feet high and wide. It goes East, towards the sea. The ground tilts downwards, so that by walking on, the group descends deeper and deeper.

It is a cave mouth of impenetrable blackness, as they step in they watch the shadow dissolve into the surrounding darkness. It is dank and humid, being the only sound was the dripping water. On the ceiling are stalactites looking like the teeth of a hungry scary beast The floor is slippery, covered with moss. As the group keeps going down the smell of seawater begins to fill the air. The seawater must have penetrated the rocks deeply, as the water is falling drop by drop, following a rhythmic and disturbing ticking. The walls below the ridge smoothly curve to the floor, the walls above arch another fifteen feet up to the stalactites.

About a mile from the entrance, the tunnel curves to the right, continuing south. After half a mile in this direction, a noise of flowing waters can be heard. It is the sound of a small waterfalls or fountains. The rhythm of the flowing water is gently accompanied by a flute music. The notes pass between the rocks like a harmonious fluid, using the stone walls as a resonance box.
Secret rolls,Ivy [dice]0[/dice] Michael [dice]1[/dice] Emma [dice]2[/dice] Kathryn [dice]3[/dice]
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Re: August 18 - 10.30 AM - Wellington cave

Post by robertod »

Jeremy walks with the lantern in his hand, extending his arm to illuminate the new steps for the whole group. When the music begins he slows his pace slightly, perhaps out of fear. His face however looks determined to continue.
Ivy,Despite being a melody not resembling anything already known, the mind seem to understand its language, finding the melody enjoyable and relaxing. After the auditory perception, Ivy feels a strange flow running throughout the whole body, giving a sense of lightness and well-being, which makes her willing to forget about anything else.
Michael,The music is suave, but discordant at the same. In some points, the notes make quick chaotic and disturbing phrasing. In others, prolonged notes might be pleasant to hear. If it were not for the situation ... the idea that this music is coming from the depths of the earth causes in Michael not little suggestion.
Kathryn,The music is suave, but discordant at the same. In some points, the notes make quick chaotic and disturbing phrasing. In others, prolonged notes might be pleasant to hear. If it were not for the situation ... the idea that this music is coming from the depths of the earth causes in Kathryn not little suggestion.
Emma,Despite being a melody not resembling anything already known, the mind seem to understand its language, finding the melody enjoyable and relaxing. After the auditory perception, Emma feels a strange flow running throughout the whole body, giving a sense of lightness and well-being, which makes her willing to forget about anything else.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"Cripes, that music gives me the creeps. Where the heck is it coming from?" Michael stares at Jeremy with a frown. "I think you know more about what's going on than you let on. What's the real low down?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

No doubt to the others' surprise, the usually waspish Ivy beams a wide smile.

"Oh isn't it lovely? Such wonderful music!"

She begins to twirl around, humming in time with the melody.
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Turstrigo »

"Not bad I'd say." Emma starts happily bopping her head to the melody.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Are you two dames off your rockers?" Michael doesn't understand what's gotten into them. The music is weird, sometimes nice, sometimes not so nice, but nothing to get excited about. He figures maybe there's something about it that hypnotizes people, kind of like those fakirs in India with their flutes and cobras. He grabs Ivy by the shoulders and shakes her. "Snap out of it, kid! We've got serious work here!" Then he tries the same thing with Emma, maybe a little more gently, since he doesn't know her as well. "Come on, lady!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, there's something wrong with that music," says Kathryn. "Can't you hear how discordant it is? It sounds like it's coming from the depths of the earth. Anyway, the fact that someone's playing a flute means someone is here, so we'd better hurry before we're too late." She draws her revolver. "If Selma's here, the music may be having a similar influence on her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Normally Michael's actions would earn him a stern rebuke at the very least, but this time Ivy merely sighs contentedly and begins to twirl down the tunnel towards the source of the music.
OOC:   Do I need to roll to snap out of it?  
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Looks like it's you and me, kiddo," Michael says to Kathryn. He also gets his pistol ready. "Hope you're a regular Annie Oakley with that thing. I got a feeling this ain't gonna be a Sunday School picnic." He lets Jeremy see that he's armed. "You lead the way, fella. I wanna have some words with that flute player."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I sure am," says Kathryn, advancing with Michael toward the sound of the flute music. "You were unconscious, so you didn't see me gun down those three things at Amanda's house. Aw, who am I kidding. I'm not quite as good as Annie. She wouldn't have missed a single shot."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The tunnel makes a pronounced curve on the right. Following the tunnel for half a mile in the new direction, the music continues and the volume increased. The group is approaching the source. At some point the music comes along with a noise of flowing waters. It is the sound of a small waterfalls or fountains. Still half a mile after the curve, and the tunnel ends in the North wall of a big hall like cave. There is a glow of light coming from there, as if a lamp were somewhere inside this new place.

As the entrance to this new cave appears, the group hears splashes and laughter. A group of three people maybe four somehwere inside the cave. Masculine and female voices. The echo
the echo distorts the voices and no word is identifiable. The music continues, now is stronger and seems to be everywhere in side the big cave.

The tunnel ended close to the cave ceiling of the new place, in a point about thirty feet above the floor. The ceiling is fully covered with stalactites. To get down to the cave floor, this wall has to be descended. As far as their lamp and flashlights can illuminate, the group sees part of the cave floor. A big circular pool filled of stagnant water begins, and continues into the darkness beyond.

When the investigators eyes search for the source of the glow, they see the light comes from an oil lamp placed on the floor about a hundred feet from them. Some stalagmites cover the floor in this area. The lamp lies at the side of another pool of stagnant water, which continues beyond the light beam of the lamp.

The music, the waterfall noise, the laughters... they all come from beyond this lamp.

Secret rolls,Ivy [dice]0[/dice] Michael [dice]1[/dice] Emma [dice]2[/dice] Kathryn [dice]3[/dice]
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Ivy,[quote]Do I need to roll to snap out of it?[/quote] I'm doing sectret rolls for you. Ivy has experienced that this music causes her a sense of well-being and tranquility, but it is not mesmerizing.. at least for now. Ivy can still control her actions if she think there is something strange about that. Just consider her feelings are somewhat in conflict...
Emma,The music caused her a sense of well-being and tranquility in Emma, but it is not mesmerizing.. Emma can still control her actions if she think there is something strange about that. Just consider her feelings are somewhat in conflict...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have to keep going, through the darkness," whispers Kathryn. "Let's keep quiet. We don't want them to know we're coming."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Roberto,Ok gotcha.
The strange scene brings Ivy out of her reverie somewhat. As she peers down into the cave, the smile on her face still remains however.

"Quiet... Yes, yes indeed. How strange that such beautiful music could come from such a dingy place. Perhaps we should climb down and investigate, although we'd have to be wary of those stalagmites down there. One slip and we'd be impaled."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Any idea how we're gonna get down there? Looks like a pretty big drop to me." Michael tries to guess the distance to the floor of the room, see if he could maybe jump down. "I ain't no Harry Houdini. but maybe all the weight I carry around could keep me from from breakin' a bone if I take a plunge."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I think those maps are intended to be two-dimensional, with everything on the same level.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I think those maps are intended to be two-dimensional, with everything on the same level.
Spoiler:
Hmmm. I was going by the "wall needs to be descended" thing. I'll wait to see what the keeper says.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC,I took it that the right-hand part of the drawing is in cross-section (though I misplaced the stalagmites in my post).
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

OOC:   Explaning the two maps, I should have specified, sorry for the confusion. It is the same place, but with two different points of view.
The map on the left is seen from above (lenght x width) . The right map is in cross-section (lenght x height), so that you can have an idea of the distance between the floor and the ceiling
and you can also see that the former tunnel ended in a point of the wall close to the ceiling.

The part of the floor closest to you has no stalactites, but you will have to go down the wall. There are holds to do it, but the rock is slippery. You have to be careful. Let me know the order (Jeremy willingly goes first if possible, otherwise he accepts what the group proposes). Tell me also weather you approach the center of the cave with your lamps/fleshlights on.  
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Michael isn't eager to make the descent, but this is the sort of thing gets him his salary from the taxpayers.

"I better go first," he whispers to the others, "in case there's trouble. Who's ever down there might not want to mess with a cop. Besides, whatever hocus pocus is going on with that weird music doesn't seem to mess with my noggin too badly, unlike certain people I could name."

He carefully stows away his pistol, turns off his flashlight and secures it as best as he can, and begins a reluctant climb down.
Spoiler:
I assume this is where my abysmally low DEX is going to get me in big trouble, but that's part of the fun. Ignore this die roll if it's not relevant.[dice]0[/dice]

Oh, dear, that's not good.

Return to “The Sign of Virgo”