August 18 - 9.30 AM - Jane Norris house

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

August 18 - 9.30 AM - Jane Norris house

Post by robertod »

When asking about Jane Norris, the investigators are led to a small ivy-clad wooden house, relatively close to the harbor.
The house walls are furry with moss that sparkles silvery with the dew. The roof is thickly thatched with coarse straw and a chimney stuck up like a solitary erect ear listening for the rustle of a coming predator.

Jane is a slim and fragile woman, whose long brown hair hides part of the freckled face. She´s beautiful-looking, but her introverted posture hampers her potential beauty. She wears a black cotton dress, like a woman in permanent mourning. Her sad face strives to smile as to maintain an appearance of normality.

The investigatores find her in her yard, as they approach the gate. The yard is filled with rose bushes and flowers beds. This little place is an accurate collection of plants and flowers.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: August 18 - 9.30 AM - Jane Norris house

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy hangs back with Michael so that the other two can make introductions. Wary of their proximity to the docks, she keeps an eye out for any freak waves.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good morning," says Kathryn, coming forward. "Mrs. Norris? I'm Kathryn Adams. May we speak to you, if you have the time?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The woman welcomes the strangers in her home with some shyness and fear.
She has probably never received strangers in her house.
She turns to Michael.
"Good morning sir... my hausband will come back late in the evening... sir... maybe you and the ladies want to come back later. "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course," says Kathryn. "About what time should we return?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The woman seems embarassed.

"He... he should come back later... at about 8.00 PM."

She sensed that the investigators are here for something serious. She, however, takes it for granted
they are here to talk with the head of the household.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We actually came to speak to you, not your husband," says Kathryn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Michael figures that the little lady is intimidated by men, especially a hulking bear like himself. He decides to try a little bit of charm to put her at her ease, maybe open her up a little.

"This is a beautiful garden. You must be very proud of having such a green thumb."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The woman smiles with shyness.

"Oh... thank you, sir! "

She is surprised when she realizes these stranger are here to talk with her.

"Oh... you came to talk with me... oh.. I´m just a fisherman´s wife. What can I do for you?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy continues to hang back, watching the sea for anything unnatural.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Nobody is just anything," says Kathryn. "Women are perfectly capable of doing all sorts of things. For instance, I'm a private investigator. I specialize in finding missing children, and my friends and I have reason to believe one such child was taken to Greyton. I've heard what you've been through, and I think you might be able to help us, and maybe we can help you too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The woman´s reaction is more natural than one would expect.

"My little Johnny was taken by the sea. I have suffered a lot for this, but now I understand that God wanted so an' we cannot oppose His will, I reckon. This means I was not created to generate some other life. Women must not commit impure acts. They must not allow themselves to be tempped. Myself was punished for disobeying', an' for not following' the vow of purity an' chastity. This is why God merciful has taken back th' shameful life I had generated through my sins."
Ivy,The sea stays calm without any imminent danger, but Ivy feels something disturbing as she staress at the innoque waters. The oscillatory movement of the waves recall the breath of to a big living organism pulsating with life, hiding something threatening, deep down, somewhere in the unexplored seabed, where those things came from.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy stares out to sea as if hypnotised by the rythm of the rise and fall.

"There's something out there..." She mutters.

She shakes her head, pulling herself together.

"We need to be quick," she snaps. "Madam, what sin did you commit, and with whom?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Something like that happened yesterday," says Kathryn. "We were at Amanda Weeks's house when a wave came out of nowhere and swamped it. Luckily, she and I are good shots, or we might have disappeared too. There were these creatures that washed in with the wave. One of them bit me." She shows Jane her arm. "My friends were hurt even worse."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Jane face is confused, her mouth open and her eyes lost in the void. She seems to struggle to bring something up to her mind.
"I have committed dirty deeds. I don't remember wel ... I forgot. Merciful God made me forget. But I know I fell into temptation ..."
She looks down at her body, with a grimace of shame and embarrassment, she refuses to remember something obscene. The woman bursts into tears. She heads to the front door and runs away.

At that moment, another woman comes to the house. She opens the gate and sees Jane running towards her. Jane stops in front of her and collapses on the ground. The new comer helps Jane to get up, but while her sobs and uninterrupted weeping continue. As soon as she gets up, Jane runs back inside the house and goes upstairs to the bedroom.

The new woman is Jane´s sister. Her name is Sarah. She´s about forty, older than her sister Jane. Sarah prepares a tisane for her sister so that she can calm down on her bed. Sarah does it as if something she already did many times. She let the investigators in to have a seat downstairs. She makes sure Jane will stay on bed and then gets downstairs to talk with them.

Sarah has short straight red hair and a harmonious face, while her body is much less attractive, being it short and slightly overweight. She´s wearing a crisp white broadcloth blouse and a large plaid skirt. Her attentive and sympathetic gaze and her calm voice convey trust and responsibility. Unlike her sister, Sarah seems to have a strong personality. She has lived for some time in the West Hills, while working in a now abandoned farm. She´s been living here together with Jane for some weeks. She is very worried about Jane´s mood, as she thinks Jane became almost autistic after her son´s disappearance. She realized that the investigator´s visit have something to do with it.
Ivy,The sea continues calm. Time passes but nothing happens. Even Ivy´s gut feeling fades slowly. Ivy is confused. What happened yesterday was terrible and may have created a suggestion in her.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As the feeling of unease fades, Ivy relaxes. She's not sure what just happened - had recent events unsettled her nerves, or was there really something lurking in the sea?

Dismissing such thoughts, she turns her attention to Jane's sister.

"I'm sorry if we've distressed your sister, but we're investigating the disappearance of another boy and there may be parallels with what happened to her son. Could you shed any light on what happened to Jane and her boy? She mentioned sinning..?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

When there's a lapse in the conversation, Michael will draw Ivy aside and whisper.

"You OK? You looked awful funny for a second there. What in Sam Hill did you see out there?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kathryn leaves Ivy to do the talking for now and listens to Sarah's response.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:When there's a lapse in the conversation, Michael will draw Ivy aside and whisper.

"You OK? You looked awful funny for a second there. What in Sam Hill did you see out there?"
"I honestly don't know. Just a feeling I suppose - a feeling that there's something under the sea, waiting and watching..." She straightens up, pulling herself together. "Probably just my imagination getting the better of me."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Sarah lowers her sad voice in speaking, as if she were afraid of something.

"Mary Jane was on the beach one summer afternoon with her son Johnny, when suddenly a big wave submerged the point on the beach where he was playing. They were alone. No one saw the scene. Then, the fishermen have searched, but his body was never found.
Her mind is linking Johnny´s disappearance with something else that happened to her long before. But at the same time, a part of her refuse to recall this memory.
Something weird happened indeed. Nine months before the child´s birth to be precise. One Sunday, we had a walk nearby the Walington cave with Darcy Mooney. At a certain point, we lost Mary Jane. When we found her, she had a severe haidache an' lost of balance. She assured us she was fine an' she just had an attack of th' vapo's. But I had the feelin' that something happened to her during that time. I could see it in her face.

Who is the missing child you are investigating about?
"

Return to “The Sign of Virgo”