August 17 - 10.00 PM – Greyton

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: August 17 - 10.00 PM – Greyton

Post by jp1885 »

"Detective, this is Mr. Michaud: he's very big in fisheries." Ivy smiles politely. "I am Ivy Ripley, of the Boston Ripleys - I believe your people know my people. Such a tense situation, although diffused, still alarms me. Please excuse me while I take a little air..."

She turns to Emma and whispers: "perhaps we should pop outside and speak to the younger man?"

She heads out of the inn to find the other male antagonist.
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Turstrigo »

Emma leaned towards Ivy to respond. "Hmm, it's worth a shot. Let's hear what he has to say for himself."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

As Emma and Ivy get out, she sees the man walking away from the Inn. He walks fast, as if to vent the anger he has still inside.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

OOC: the others follow Ivy and Emma out or stay inside?
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Michael wants to stay inside and talk to the rich folks. Besides, he's not good at chasing people.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Leaving Mike and Kathryn inside, Ivy joins Emma outside. She calls after the papidly retreating young man.

"Hey! Stop! Can we talk to you please?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The man looks at Ivy, with a mixture of curiosity and mistrust. As he taks a breath and calms down, and the first feeling prevails.
"You and your friends are not from town. Are you? Not hard to guess. When you guys entered, everyone thought you were feds. You know what, I really hoped you were for a moment."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kathryn also remains inside, conversing with Darcy.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy gives the man a probing stare.

"Why do you say that? We're not the feds, but we are looking into something. Tell me, what's been going on?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

His words are still resentful.

"I tried to take my sister out from there... I don´t want her to stick around Darcy and Michaud. I don´t like them. I don´t want them to give alcohol to her. I don´t like that place."

Meanwhile, Darcy begins a conversation with the two investigators at the table. Strangely enough for the time, it is she who takes the initiative, while her man stays silent.

"So you come from outside, it's not common to meet tourists here. Are you here on business?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We came here to find someone," says Kathryn. "Maybe you can help us locate him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy studies the young man, nodding appovingly at his noble intensions.

"Do you think they intend to corrupt your sister and lead her into vice?"

"Oh, where are my manners? I am Ivy and this is my friend Emma. What may I ask is your name?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"I'm Detective O'Shaugnessy," Michael says, "and this is Miss Adams. She's kind of helping me out. Police business." He glances at Kathryn, knowing that he's deliberately baiting her. "You happen to know a Jason Carson or a Martin Thompson? I'd like to talk to 'em. Strictly routine."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The young man talking with Ivy waits a few seconds to reply her. He conveys a hint of distrust. His eyes seem to try to better understand Ivy´s intentions.

"My name is Jeremy. Nice to meet you. My sister has got a job in that Inn, but she made bad companies there. Darcy and Michaud traffic alchool, everyone knows ... I was trying to take her away. Michaud exports fish. I have trouble with him as well. His price is much higher than the price this prick is buying from us and there´s nothing we can do. Darcy was someone like us before becoming Michaud´s lover. Well... my sister can do whatever she wants ... but I don´t want her to stick around them. I can not see anything good for Selma ... close to them."

Darcy makes an expression of surprise ... like that of someone who did not expect such a direct question oabout two specific people ... or perhaps about these two specific specific persons. Difficult to say. She quickly covers her embarrassment by responding with a forced naturalness.

"Martin Thompson... humm.... he´s a guy from here, yes the son of the passed way Professor Thompson, one high school teacher here. I heard Martin was on a schooner that went out for fishing. He disappeared during a storm. Poor boy. What to say about Carson... ? Jason Carson used to live here in Greyton. An orphan raised by Father Colby, the city´s priest. Some time ago, he emigrated to Portland and never came back. I thought he was still there. To be stranger, it seems you know people from Greyton ... among the most ehm..... unfortunate."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We'd like to talk to Father Colby," says Kathryn. "Do you know where we can find him?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Your concern for your sister is very noble Jeremy. Emma and I will do what we can to help you while we are here."

She leans forward so that no-one else can hear.

"We may not be Feds, but we are here on police business. A young boy has gone missing and we believe he might be in Greyton. We are looking for a friend of his mother - Jason Carson. Do you know where we might find him?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Michael and Kathryn
"Oh ... sure ... you can find father Colby in his home, at the top of the Will Hill, the one just biside the church. " answers Darcy.
"As you leave the inn, head west, pass the William Pelletier's farm and find the trai that leads up the hill. You cannot miss it. I warn you he is a gruff guy... at least with his folks... maybe he´s going to be kinder with strangers. I hope I have been helpful."

Ivy and Emma
Jeremy is now more confortable in talking.

"Yes, I knew Jason, even if we have never been close. He´s a nice person, perhaps one of the few in this city. He moved to Portland in search of fortune. I heard he worked in a college over there. One summer he came here with a girlfriend he had found there. This was a few years ago... I think... anyway, since then, he´s never come back as far as I know. If he's not in Portland, I don´t know where he could be. Father Colby raised him. Maybe he can tell you more."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, you've been a great help," says Kathryn, smiling.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Thank you Jeremy. I gather Jason had a young friend who was lost at sea during the storm last year - Martin somebody? He must've been very upset... Well, if you happen to hear of Jason's whereabouts, please let me know. In return we'll keep an eye on your sister during our stay at the hotel."

"Oh, and, silly question, but are there any underwater caves nearby?"

Ivy finishes by asking the young man for directions to Father Colby's before allowing him to leave. She then returns inside and sits at a quiet table. If she can see her, she will call Jeremy's sister over for service as a pretext for asking her some questions.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Ivy and Emma

"Martin Thompson… oh.. I heard talking about him. I heard he got involved in something… and then got out from Greyton by sea. He was on a schooner that went out for fishing. Yes, there was a storm and he got lost at sea. You need to talk to Thomas Cornel. He was the captain of the thing. You´ll find him at the harbor. I also heard he had a girlfriend called Amanda, in the Northeast neighborhood.. but pay attention if you go there. Those folks don´t like stranger nosing around"

Jeremy thinks for a moment, with the dumb face of someone who fogot there´s cave in his town.

"Oh yes, the Wellington cave. You find one cave entrance up the West hill. The other one is down at Kenneth beach... near the breakwater... just in fron of the lighthouse..."
"But.. why.. do you think this boy you are looking for might be hidden inside there?"
he asks with an amused smile, finding the question unusual

Michael and Kathryn

After they finish the conversation, while waiting for the Ivy and Emma to come back in, Michael and Kathryn see that Darcy casually interects with other people in the Inn. Every now and then she talks with the other girl, the waitress. Michaud follows her but leaves to her most of the social initiative. Every now and then, Darcy takes a look at the table where Michael and Kathryn are.

Return to “The Sign of Virgo”