August 17 - 3.30 PM – Gilbert´s house

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

August 17 - 3.30 PM – Gilbert´s house

Post by robertod »

The group meets again at Gilbert's home, where they can finally share informations with the detective (OOC: see the updated "Cues" thread for the overview). Gilbert invites them to have a sit in the living room. First of all, he apologizes to everyone and, with much embarrassment, confirms what he told the police detective. Alyssa tried to strangle Timothy to death. Since she was dead, Gilbert thought he would never need to make this sad reality public.

Gilbert is anxious to know something about the first investigations. The group must now organize their trip to Greyton.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: August 17 - 3.30 PM – Gilbert´s house

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kathryn fills in Mr. Gilbert on what they discovered at Timothy's school and Alyssa's former school. "My suspicion is that Jason Carson took Timothy with him back to Greyton," she says, "and it appears that the boy went with him willingly. The good news is that I don't believe he will harm the boy. He has always felt an attachment to Alyssa, and that would extend to her son. Have you ever met Mr. Carson?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy is shocked to learn that it was the mother who attacked the boy and not his father - she'd have put money on him being the culprit. Luckily however she is not a gambler.

She wonders how Mr. Gilbert will react to the mention of Jason.

When the opportunity presents itself, she will ask:

"Where did your wife keep her letters and correspondence?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Gilbert is disturbed by having to touch this topic and does not try to conceal this that much.
"My wife's correspondence is there"
He points to a pile of sheets on a shelf
"As you can see there is nothing besides things concerning the communication with the school. I myself read her correspondence after she died. If she had ... a secret affair ... there is no trace of this in this house. I can garantee."

Touching Jason's argument, he responds by charging his words with the weight of objectivity.

"As for this Jason... what should I say? No one would have prevented Alyssa from marrying him instead of me. If she decided for me, it's because she wanted that way. Alyssa was a person of strong character and capable of assuming her responsibilities. She was reserved, but she was not that kind of person who would hide a serious thing from his family for a long time. If she really doubted that Timothy is my son, she would have said that to me since the beginning. If Jason had any reason to claim paternity, he has only to raise the issue and face me in court. Nobody would prevent him from doing this."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy can't help but be impressed by Gilbert's dignified bearing, despite the awkward questions he was being made to answer.

"Your candour does you credit sir. If this Jason fellow has indeed abducted your son, perhaps he is deluded enough to believe that he's Timothy's father."

She turns her head towards the others and mutters "Or there's another reason..."

"Might I suggest, if our host here has nothing further to add, we make for Grayton forthwith. Detective, perhaps you could call ahead to the local PD? What do you think will be faster - car or train?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we should head to Greyton as soon as possible," says Kathryn. "Time is critical."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Train is faster, since cars were quite slow and inappropriated for long travels.

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Quite. Well let us away to the rail station and catch the next train to Greyton."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Michael grudgingly develops new respect for Gilbert's honesty, even if it took a little bullying.

"Yeah, I'll talk to the Greyton cops, have 'em be on the lookout for the kid. I'll ask if this Carson has any kind of criminal record. Ivy, you wanna wire for the train tickets and reservations at some kind of fancy flophouse?"

He grins, revealing crooked yellow teeth.

"I'll need my own room, unless any of you ladies wanna bunk with me."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy treats Mike to a withering stare.

"Having heard you snoring at your desk, Maybe I should book you a single room at the other side of the hotel than us."

She will follow his instructions by booking train tickets and reasonable lodgings in Greyton.

Return to “The Sign of Virgo”