August 17 - 3.00 PM – Harbour and Gorham - Kathryn and Emma

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

August 17 - 3.00 PM – Harbour and Gorham - Kathryn and Emma

Post by robertod »

OOC: Was Alyssa close with her classmates during and after her stay in Gorham?
OOC: Yes, she had close relationship with some people there. See below here....

When inquiring the harbor master about the landscape, Kathryn finds there´s no such landscape in Portland. The man doesn´t know the place, but remembers about seeing something similar in a Geography book about Northern Maine. He doesn´t remember details about the book, but Kathryn should be able to find it in a library. Kathryn knows the Normal Gorham School has the largest library in Portland.

OOC: if you want to ask something else to the harbor master go ahead, but this basically all that he can tell you about the landscape. I assumed Kathryn would go to Gorham together with Emma, if you have other goals just let me know and I will change the post

Kathryn heads to Gorham together with Emma, who´s going there to instigate about Alyssa´s student life and former boyfriend. The campus of the Gorham Normal School is located in Gorham, at ten minutes driving distance from Portland. The urban village known as Gorham Village or simply "the Village," encompasses a number of smaller, unincorporated villages and hamlets with distinct historical identities. The principal structures of the campus, the Corthell Hall is a big three-story redbrick building in gothic-style. The Corthell Hall houses the classrooms, the library, the auditorium and the drawing rooms for musicales, receptions and exhibits. Opposite to the Corthell Hall, is an open lawn traversed by walks. Beyond it, are the dormitories and athletic facilities, a large, double-winged four-story building of a modified Italian Romanesque style with walls of light-red bricks, trimmed with limestone.

The nearby Science Hall houses the departments of natural and chemical sciences. This is a four-story structure containing laboratories furnished with the equipment for natural sciences, research, special stage for scientific demonstrations. The Student Union building is an ornate three and half story red-brick and terra cotta structure designed in the manner of an Italian Renaissance palazzo. It is the social and recreational headquarters for student and faculty.
It's a sunny day. Many students and students are in the tree-lined courtyard. Some are sitting on a bench, isolated with a book. Other are gathered in small groups to chat. Emma and Kathryn begins make some questions. They find that Alyssa´s boyfriend name was Jason Carson. He was a janitor, but he's not working in Gorham any more. He's back to his hometown, Greyton, up north, close to Canada. In the school are still two people who were close to Alyssa. One is Professor Parker, the history professor. They can find him in his studio. The other is Elisabeth White, a former Alyssa´s classmate who works in the school library now. She might be there or in the dorms.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: August 17 - 3.00 PM – Harbour and Gorham - Kathryn and E

Post by Mr. Handy »

Before she goes with Emma to the school, Kathryn asks the harbormaster what he knows about the village of Greyton and the wreck of the Acadia.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

He knows it is located in Northern Maine, bust below the Bay of Fundy. He has never been there, but he has heard from some fishermen, friends of his, that the city has undergone great development in recent years. It seems that the fish traders over there are doing good business. He knows nothing about Acadia, but he has heard that deep inside the Bay of Fundy is not a good place to fish. There are not many salmon nor cod, comparing with the open Atlantic. Furthermore, there is often a very thick fog. When it is bad weather sure it can be dangerous.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Kathryn to the harbormaster. She rejoins Emma at the school. "Shall we speak to the professor first, and then Elisabeth White? Or do you prefer we speak to her first, or do you think we should each locate one of them?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Turstrigo »

"I think we should go talk to Elisabeth first. Alyssa would probably be more likely to confide in a classmate."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's a good idea," says Kathryn. "Let's see if she's in the library first, and if she's not there, we'll check the dorms."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Kathryn and Emma find Elizabeth White in the dorms. Her room includes a bed, a small desk and a chair. Elizabeth White is a young woman, with blond curly hair and blue eyes. She wears a simple cotton dress, thick black cotton stockings, and low heel Oxfords. Her mind is deeply concentrated in reading a book. When the investigators find her, she raises the head from the book and reveals her innocent face of sublime and natural beauty. As the investigators are about to interact with Elisabeth they see the detective Ivy arriving.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

After making enquiries, Ivy finds her fellow investigators in Elizabeth White's dorm. She enters quietly, not wishing to interrupt their questioning.

When they have finished, she asks Elizabeth if she knows what books Alyssa borrowed from the library, the day before her unfortunate death. She will also ask to see them, just in case Alyssa annotated them in any way.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hi," says Kathryn. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but do you have a few minutes to talk? I'm Kathryn, a friend of Emma here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The girl smiles shyly, but with curiosity.
"Yes .. of course ... what can I do to help you in? Do you need to search the library?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, thank you, that's not why we're here," says Kathryn. "We'd like to ask you a few questions about your friend Alyssa, and about some of the other people at the school."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Her yes become sad. Her voice is soft, as her appearance could suggest.

"She studied here... we were friends. Then she graduated and moved to Portland. She kept coming here every now and then, to use the library. Then, suddently, I knew about her death. Are you relatives of her?"
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Turstrigo »

"Yes, I am her sister, Emma Rivers. We'd like to ask about one Jason Carson, among other things."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The girl aswears, while her mind suffers when calling back such a sad story

"Jason Carson was the janitor of the campus, and he used to do a little bit of everything. He could repair almost anything. Meanwhile, she frequented the library. She wanted to enroll as a student at some point. He had come from Greyton, a small town of the northern Maine coast. Jason was a big timer, Alyssa was a flapper. They got engaged. But at some point, he told her they had to break up and he could not explain her why. Then, Alyssa met Gilbert and got married."

Elisabeth takes a picture from a drawer. It is a picture of Alyssa and Carson. The two are smiling, they are in front of a lighthouse. Alyssa is a beautiful girl, with wavy brown hair, big and lively eyes and a spontaneous and sincere smile. Carson is a handsome boy too, with blond hair being shaken by strong wind in this picture. He´s hugging her affectionately. The landscape behind them looks like the same in Timothy's drawings.

Behind, there´s something written
“Thank you for these unforgettable days, yours Jason”

"She had this picture taken seven years ago, when she went to meet Jason in Greyton, a couple of months after he went to his hometown. When Alyssa came back from Greyton, she told me they had broke up definitely. She left this picture with me, she did not want to keep it at her home. Maybe she was afraid Gilbert could find it."

Emma remembers about Alyssa being away for a week, in that period. However, she told the family she went to see a girl, a former classmate.

Elisabeth sighs with sadness

"I do feel something happened during that stay in Greyton. One year ago, Jason came here to the campus to meet Alyssa, a few days before she committed suicide, they were in the courtyard, I saw them from afar, Jason was showing her something, looked like a newspaper page, but could be something else. He was yelling at her, he seemed worried and scared about something. Alyssa took the page and ran away crying. Jason headed back to the train station, and I have not seen either of them since that day. So that´s Alyssa and Jason story... I think their love was for some reason impossible and they never menaged to forget each other. "
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy shifts awkardly - such love between two people is something she has neither experienced nor, for that matter, particularly wanted.

"Did you know Alyssa's son is missing? That's why we're here. We're trying to find out if his disappearance is linked to her death. I've discovered that she took some books out before she died. Could you look at the library records and tell us what these books were please?"

"Oh, and this is a long shot, Did Alyssa ever mention a boy called Martin Thompson?"

She turns to her fellow investigators. "He went missing at sea during the storm mentioned in Alyssa's newspaper clipping."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

"They are common didactic books used to prepare lessons of Mathematics and Geometry. Alyssa used to come here to consult them from time to time."
He opens the door of the room and asks a student if he can go get them for her.

She closes the closing the door, and goes back to the desk.
"Alyssa did not come here for the books. She came to meet Jason. I guess he came here to tell her something. ."
She says in a firm voice.

"Martin is a friend of Jason, a guy in Greyton. Alyssa met with him when in Greyton. She said Jason and he were often together and she complained she wanted Jason to stay with her. She didn´t tell me anything else, but I had the impression there was something else.... something she herself could not figure out... I don´t know how to explain. Just a gut feeling. "

The student returns with the books. They are indeed didactic books, nothing more, nothing less. No annotations.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do you know Jason's address in Greyton?" asks Kathryn. "Maybe there's a letter he sent to Alyssa with a return address."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy thanks Elizabeth for her time.

"All things are pointing towards this Jason fellow. Unless there's anything more to be found here, may I suggest we rejoin Detective O'Shaugnessy for a trip to Greyton?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Miss White answers Kathryn.
"Alyssa never told me Jason's address, but she told me he was orphan. He was raised by tyhe local priest."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Kathryn. "That will help. I suppose Greyton is our next logical stop. I'm ready to go, Ivy."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Sign of Virgo”