Page 1 of 1

August 17 - 10.00 PM – Greyton

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm
by robertod
The train from Portland to Northern Maine, along the railroad to Canada, takes the group up to Machias, which four miles away from Greyton. In Machias, the investigators find a Ford bus, which looks more like an old carriage, taking them to Greyton along a badly paved road.

Greyton lies on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, near to the border with Canada. The town counts few thousand inhabitants. Nestled in a bowl-shaped depression, the city is surrounded by a steep small hill to the West. The top of the West Hill hosts the church and a few houses. Southwest of Greyton the ground is level, and occasionally dotted by stands of hardwood. Arable farmland around here seems scarce.

The bus leaves the investigators at what appears to be the central area of the city. The buildings are enveloped in a dense and constant gray haze, looking like the city of London at the height of its commercial and industrial development. Most structures are large Georgian houses, with hipped roofs, cupolas, and railed widow's walks. There are also white belfry of fairly well preserved brick structures, one of which, a fishpacking company, stands out as the most modern building.

The investigators are told that the Herder Inn is the only possibility for tourists accomodation. It´s a few blocks from the bus point.

Re: August 17 - 10.00 PM – Greyton

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:28 pm
by jp1885

Alighting from the bus, Ivy takes in her dark and dreary surroundings with obvious distain.

"Hmph, I can see why they call it 'Grey'-ton."

She picks up her valise, glad that, considering the walk ahead, she always travels light.

"Let's get to our lodgings and hope they haven't closed for the night."

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's go check in," says Kathryn, hoisting her suitcase. "Emma, would you like to share a room with me?"

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Smells like the Fulton Fish Market," Michael remarks. "I hope I can get a decent steak somewhere around here. I only eat fish on Friday." He pauses for a moment, then hits his forehead with his palm. "Oh, hell. 'Scuse my French. Today is Friday. Guess there won't be no steak for Mother O'Shaugnessy's little boy. Let's get goin' before I starve to death."
Spoiler:
I looked up August 17 1928 and it was Friday.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:34 pm
by robertod
The Herder Inn is a five-story building, probably dating back to the nineteenth century. The place also works as a pub for the local people. As the group approaches the entrance, they see a person is standing at the doorway. As he see them coming, the man quickly runs inside. He looked somewaht.... concerned.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:06 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nudges Mike as the man disappears inside.

"Did you see that shifty looking fellow? I wonder if prohibition is as well enforced here as it should be. Perhaps they think we're about to raid the - I believe the modern parlance is - 'joint'."

Just in case she ensures that her nightstick (which she 'borrowed' some years ago) is concealed, but accessible, inside her coat.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:55 pm
by Turstrigo
Emma shrugged. "Sure, I hope they still have any rooms left, though." She was taking in the gloomy appearance of the city, when she saw the man hurrying inside. "Huh, guess they don't have visitors very often. Our mere sight sends them tripping over themselves."

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then they should have plenty of rooms," says Kathryn. "I doubt they think we're federal agents. While I've heard there are a few T-Women, there probably wouldn't be three all in one place. Well, let's go inside."

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Michael looks around to see who's in charge of the place.

"We need some rooms. And can you rustle up some grub? Near beer too, if you got it."

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:03 pm
by jp1885

As Mike calls for service, Ivy surrepticiously looks around for the person who ran inside to see what he's doing.
Spot Hidden 65% Extreme success,[dice]0[/dice]
She smiles a brittle smile.

"Water will be fine for me."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:26 am
by robertod
The place is full of people and everybody looks at the strangers as they get in. Some persons were gathered around the man that has entered, as if he had given a kind of alarm. Everybody, including the man that ran inside, disperse in smaller groups and start talking to each other like nothing happened.

The place has a wide salon with wooden tables. Near the entrance is a counter and the door behind it communicates with the kitchen. There´s a stairway leading upward to the hotel rooms. The interior is rustic and welcoming. The walls have decorations that refer to sea and fishing topics: anchors, lifeguards, fishing nets, shells, whale bones. Photographs of fishermen posing with big fishes are exposed as trophies.

One of the embarassed waiters replies politely to Michael, as soon as he asks for the rooms and drinks.
"Yes, of course, Sir. Please have a seat, oh.. yes... we´re going to serve some near beer for you and the ladies. We can accommodate you on the upper floor. The rooms are $2 at night, with meals provided. Do you want something to eat?"

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Kathryn. "I am getting peckish."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:29 pm
by jp1885

Ivy continues to watch the groups as she sits down. "A sandwich will suffice," she says, distractedly.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:35 pm
by robertod
Food and drinks are served. People still keep an eye on the strangers every now and then, but now they seems less worried about their presence. Someone is kind of.. bothered. They must wait for some alchool to be out again. Some fishermen are taken by discussions about big fishes. Others alternate their gaze between their dish and the girls’ thighs, trying to forget that tomorrow they´ll have to challenge the sea once again.

There´s enough room for dancing, and a local band starts playing live country music on a small stage. Some women begin dancing. Seem to be the only ones who remember that the night is also made for fun.

The person who stands behind the counter ise the owner of the place. He´s a stressed middle-aged man that does his best to pass his anxiety to those around him. Every now and then, he leaves the courter and moves to the hall, assuring that everything is right with the costumers. He yells at the waiters when they are slow.

At some point, the investigators witnesses a scene that caught their attention. Two guys begin arguing and seem about to start up a fight. They are standing one in front of the other, just beside one of the tables at the end of the hall. One of them is furious, and is shoving the second, who tries to keep calm. The angry guy is a fisherman, a good-looking young man, with light-brown unkempt hair. He´s wearing long old pants, overall and a patched shirt. The other person is a sixty-year-old man, with silver hair and thick mustache. He´s much more elegant in his clothing. He´s dressing a double breasted grey wool suit with peak lapels and white dress shirt.
There are two women at that table. One is a young and beautiful girl just over twenty. She´s wearing a waitress uniform and she must be working in the Inn. The other woman is a red haired charming woman, heaply glamourous and with bee-stung lips. She wears an elegant dress and a necklace of precious stones.

The angry fisherman is trying to convince the young waitress to leave the table and go away with him. The other man and the red haired woman are willing to prevent it. The young girl is embarrassed and confused. The scene has captured the curiosity of most of those present, who look at the table, but without intervening, for the moment.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think you should do something," Kathryn says quietly to Michael.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Yeah, I think you're right, toots."

With a sigh Michael pushes himself away from a big bowl of clam chowder; just about the only thing he can stand to eat on Friday. With visible effort, he stands up and waddles over to the fight.

He flashes his badge. "OK, boys, fun's over. You got a beef, you settle it in a civilized manner. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to haul you down to the local constable."

He takes the opportunity to eyeball the good-looking dames. He addresses the waitress.

"You wanna make out a complaint, miss?"

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:23 pm
by jp1885

As Mike handles the situation, Ivy studies the well-dressed pair. Coming from an 'old money' family, she knows, or knows of, a lot of rich people, so she tries to recognise them.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:32 pm
by robertod
As Michael intervenes. The fight ends. The person around calmthe young man down , and accompany him outside the Inn. The waitress goes back to her work. The red haired lady and his man look at the the investigators with a face that conveys gratitude. Ivy recognizes the man as a guy called Michaud. She remember ahving seem him in Portland onse somewhere. He´s a businessman who deals with fish industry. The woman´s face does not rin any bell.

The red haired woman smiles and approaches the table of the characters. She gives little importance to what has just happened, and a bit more to those strangers in town.
"Forgive my curiosity, but it is not common to receive visits of foreigners in this small town. My name is Darcy Moore, and I hope you´ll have a good stay. If I can I help in something I would be delighted to do so."

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Kathryn with a smile. "My name is Kathryn Adams, and it's nice to meet you. Since we are new in Greyton, we could use some local knowledge. I don't know if you have time to act as a guide, but maybe you could answer some questions for us."

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Detective O'Shaugnessy, from Portland," Michael says."Call me Mike. What was all that brouhaha about, anyway?"

He decides not to mention what he's here for until he knows these folks a little better.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:43 pm
by jp1885

"Detective, this is Mr. Michaud: he's very big in fisheries." Ivy smiles politely. "I am Ivy Ripley, of the Boston Ripleys - I believe your people know my people. Such a tense situation, although diffused, still alarms me. Please excuse me while I take a little air..."

She turns to Emma and whispers: "perhaps we should pop outside and speak to the younger man?"

She heads out of the inn to find the other male antagonist.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:14 pm
by Turstrigo
Emma leaned towards Ivy to respond. "Hmm, it's worth a shot. Let's hear what he has to say for himself."

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 am
by robertod
As Emma and Ivy get out, she sees the man walking away from the Inn. He walks fast, as if to vent the anger he has still inside.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:52 pm
by robertod
OOC: the others follow Ivy and Emma out or stay inside?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:13 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Michael wants to stay inside and talk to the rich folks. Besides, he's not good at chasing people.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:28 pm
by jp1885

Leaving Mike and Kathryn inside, Ivy joins Emma outside. She calls after the papidly retreating young man.

"Hey! Stop! Can we talk to you please?"

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:32 pm
by robertod
The man looks at Ivy, with a mixture of curiosity and mistrust. As he taks a breath and calms down, and the first feeling prevails.
"You and your friends are not from town. Are you? Not hard to guess. When you guys entered, everyone thought you were feds. You know what, I really hoped you were for a moment."

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Kathryn also remains inside, conversing with Darcy.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:31 am
by jp1885

Ivy gives the man a probing stare.

"Why do you say that? We're not the feds, but we are looking into something. Tell me, what's been going on?"

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 pm
by robertod
His words are still resentful.

"I tried to take my sister out from there... I don´t want her to stick around Darcy and Michaud. I don´t like them. I don´t want them to give alcohol to her. I don´t like that place."

Meanwhile, Darcy begins a conversation with the two investigators at the table. Strangely enough for the time, it is she who takes the initiative, while her man stays silent.

"So you come from outside, it's not common to meet tourists here. Are you here on business?"

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"We came here to find someone," says Kathryn. "Maybe you can help us locate him."

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 pm
by jp1885

Ivy studies the young man, nodding appovingly at his noble intensions.

"Do you think they intend to corrupt your sister and lead her into vice?"

"Oh, where are my manners? I am Ivy and this is my friend Emma. What may I ask is your name?"

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:25 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I'm Detective O'Shaugnessy," Michael says, "and this is Miss Adams. She's kind of helping me out. Police business." He glances at Kathryn, knowing that he's deliberately baiting her. "You happen to know a Jason Carson or a Martin Thompson? I'd like to talk to 'em. Strictly routine."

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:30 am
by robertod
The young man talking with Ivy waits a few seconds to reply her. He conveys a hint of distrust. His eyes seem to try to better understand Ivy´s intentions.

"My name is Jeremy. Nice to meet you. My sister has got a job in that Inn, but she made bad companies there. Darcy and Michaud traffic alchool, everyone knows ... I was trying to take her away. Michaud exports fish. I have trouble with him as well. His price is much higher than the price this prick is buying from us and there´s nothing we can do. Darcy was someone like us before becoming Michaud´s lover. Well... my sister can do whatever she wants ... but I don´t want her to stick around them. I can not see anything good for Selma ... close to them."

Darcy makes an expression of surprise ... like that of someone who did not expect such a direct question oabout two specific people ... or perhaps about these two specific specific persons. Difficult to say. She quickly covers her embarrassment by responding with a forced naturalness.

"Martin Thompson... humm.... he´s a guy from here, yes the son of the passed way Professor Thompson, one high school teacher here. I heard Martin was on a schooner that went out for fishing. He disappeared during a storm. Poor boy. What to say about Carson... ? Jason Carson used to live here in Greyton. An orphan raised by Father Colby, the city´s priest. Some time ago, he emigrated to Portland and never came back. I thought he was still there. To be stranger, it seems you know people from Greyton ... among the most ehm..... unfortunate."

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd like to talk to Father Colby," says Kathryn. "Do you know where we can find him?"

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 am
by jp1885

"Your concern for your sister is very noble Jeremy. Emma and I will do what we can to help you while we are here."

She leans forward so that no-one else can hear.

"We may not be Feds, but we are here on police business. A young boy has gone missing and we believe he might be in Greyton. We are looking for a friend of his mother - Jason Carson. Do you know where we might find him?"

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:34 am
by robertod
Michael and Kathryn
"Oh ... sure ... you can find father Colby in his home, at the top of the Will Hill, the one just biside the church. " answers Darcy.
"As you leave the inn, head west, pass the William Pelletier's farm and find the trai that leads up the hill. You cannot miss it. I warn you he is a gruff guy... at least with his folks... maybe he´s going to be kinder with strangers. I hope I have been helpful."

Ivy and Emma
Jeremy is now more confortable in talking.

"Yes, I knew Jason, even if we have never been close. He´s a nice person, perhaps one of the few in this city. He moved to Portland in search of fortune. I heard he worked in a college over there. One summer he came here with a girlfriend he had found there. This was a few years ago... I think... anyway, since then, he´s never come back as far as I know. If he's not in Portland, I don´t know where he could be. Father Colby raised him. Maybe he can tell you more."

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, you've been a great help," says Kathryn, smiling.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:24 pm
by jp1885

"Thank you Jeremy. I gather Jason had a young friend who was lost at sea during the storm last year - Martin somebody? He must've been very upset... Well, if you happen to hear of Jason's whereabouts, please let me know. In return we'll keep an eye on your sister during our stay at the hotel."

"Oh, and, silly question, but are there any underwater caves nearby?"

Ivy finishes by asking the young man for directions to Father Colby's before allowing him to leave. She then returns inside and sits at a quiet table. If she can see her, she will call Jeremy's sister over for service as a pretext for asking her some questions.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:29 pm
by robertod
Ivy and Emma

"Martin Thompson… oh.. I heard talking about him. I heard he got involved in something… and then got out from Greyton by sea. He was on a schooner that went out for fishing. Yes, there was a storm and he got lost at sea. You need to talk to Thomas Cornel. He was the captain of the thing. You´ll find him at the harbor. I also heard he had a girlfriend called Amanda, in the Northeast neighborhood.. but pay attention if you go there. Those folks don´t like stranger nosing around"

Jeremy thinks for a moment, with the dumb face of someone who fogot there´s cave in his town.

"Oh yes, the Wellington cave. You find one cave entrance up the West hill. The other one is down at Kenneth beach... near the breakwater... just in fron of the lighthouse..."
"But.. why.. do you think this boy you are looking for might be hidden inside there?"
he asks with an amused smile, finding the question unusual

Michael and Kathryn

After they finish the conversation, while waiting for the Ivy and Emma to come back in, Michael and Kathryn see that Darcy casually interects with other people in the Inn. Every now and then she talks with the other girl, the waitress. Michaud follows her but leaves to her most of the social initiative. Every now and then, Darcy takes a look at the table where Michael and Kathryn are.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's probably too late to call on the priest tonight," says Kathryn, "but we can see him first thing in the morning."

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:41 am
by jp1885
robertod wrote:""But.. why.. do you think this boy you are looking for might be hidden inside there?" he asks with an amused smile, finding the question unusual[/color]
"Oh, it's a possibility. After all, caves attract adventurous young boys like magnets."

Ivy thanks Jeremy for his time and returns inside to look for his sister.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:33 pm
by robertod
Jeremy's sister is still inside the inn. She's working, going back and forth from the tables room to the kitchen.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Looks like this Darcy dame wears the pants in the family," Michael whispers to Kathryn. "Might wanna keep an eye on her while we're in town, see if she knows more than she's saying. Meanwhile," he continues with a yawn, "I'm about ready for some shut-eye. Looks like this old altar boy is going to be paying a visit to the padre in the morning. Saturday, he should be hearing confession, oughta have some time to answer some questions."

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:47 am
by Turstrigo
Emma frowned when Jeremy mentioned Jason moving away. When she and Ivy return inside she says in a low voice "If he's really in Portland, then my nephew might've actually been closer than I thought. Though, that's assuming that Jason is in fact involved."

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:28 pm
by jp1885

"Indeed - I'd hate to have made a wasted journey, but at least the Portland police are still searching, so if he's there he'll be found. However this place does chime in with Timothy's drawings and dreams, so there's also a chance he's here."

Ivy briefly brings Mike and Kathyrn up to speed with what she and Emma have learned, warning them to be suspicious of Darcy and Michaud.

She flips through her notebook, noting the places and people they need to visit: Father Colby, sea captain Thomas Cornel, Martin's girlfriend Amanda and the Wellington Caves.

Realising that it's getting late, she calls over Jeremy's sister to order a nightcap.

"Please deliver it up to my room, then I can talk to you about your brother."

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:42 pm
by robertod
The waitress reaches Ivy in her upstairs room. She gives her the nightcap Ivy asked for. Selma is a young and cute brunette. Her smile and posture unveils some inexperience and ingenuity in her attitudes.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't have known, not being Catholic," Kathryn replies to Michael. "We do have a number of leads in Greyton to follow up on tomorrow, and they may open up further avenues of investigation. I suppose we should call it a night."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After falling into bed, Michael's loud snores can be heard from neighboring rooms.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:53 am
by jp1885

Ivy rolls her eyes at the sound of Mike's snoring. She thanks Selma for the drink.

"It's late, so I'll be brief. Your brother is worried about you. I daresay, being young, that you find this town rather boring. You'd rather some excitement and fun, yes? That's understandable, but you still need to watch out for yourself. Always question the motives of people such as Michaud and Darcy. Be wary of what they offer you."

She prepares to settle for the night, dismissing Selma with a curt nod and a small tip.

"I will see you tomorrow. In the meantime, please think twice about doing anything you wouldn't normally want to do..."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:57 pm
by robertod
Selma smiles
"Oh... so you met my brother, Miss. You know... he thinks he's doing the role of the protector now."

He makes a grimace of dissent and superficiality, as if this were not a big problem, and above all .. not a problem of hers.

"He just keep complaining... the man he was discussing with ... he's Michaud, one of the riches in the area ... the woman with him was Darcy.
She's Jeremy's ex-girlfriend, and he now hates her. So here begins and here ends Jeremy's protective mission... I understand his rage.. but.. I shouldn´t be involved in that.. and Darcy never did anything bad to me
"

She raise her shoulders and wishes good night to Liza before leaving her room.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Michael wakes up the next morning, sees if he can get a big plate of ham and eggs, and asks where the local Catholic church is located.