A Cool and Lonely Courage - OOC Chat Thread

This is a tragic role playing story game about the women of the Special Operations Executive in World War 2 France, for two to five players. You have been captured by the Nazis, and are facing interrogation and death at their hands. Together as players you tell the stories of these brave women through their training, deployment, missions and eventual capture, and discover their lives through flashbacks. Playing cards are used to determine whether the focus of each scene is one of love, failure, success or death. A scene may directly involve other player characters, or it may involve other people who are played in the scene by other players around the table. The game ends with a final session where together you work out who lives, who dies, who tells their stories.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

A Cool and Lonely Courage - OOC Chat Thread

Post by Mr. Handy »

This is where we'll plan the game and have Out of Character discussions. This is a blind playtest of A Cool and Lonely Courage by Alex White. While it's not specifically Mythos-related, we could always slip references to it into the game (along the lines of Achtung! Cthulhu). I'll post more threads when I receive the playtest materials, which should be by tomorrow. This is a GM-less game, though since I've played before, I'll facilitate it as well as play in it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: A Cool and Lonely Courage - OOC Chat Thread

Post by Tabs »

Hello.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome! I'm looking forward to getting started, but I haven't received the playtest materials yet. Hopefully I'll get them tonight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've sent you the playtest rules in a PM, and the Character Thread is ready. I've created my character there, and you can create yours when you're ready. Once that's done, I'll get the game started. It will probably be tomorrow night, unless you finish creating your character in the next few hours. If you want to be in the game's credits for the playtest, you should also let me know under what name you want to be listed.

When we play our scenes, we'll probably need to just narrate the story ourselves all at once in order to finish in a reasonable amount of time, as Alex White wants to have the playtest results around January. If we were sitting around a table, we could easily each play a supporting character in each other's scenes, but it would usually take us at least a day to go back and forth once given the time zone difference. This could easily take us a couple of months if we played the whole game that way. We could try it for the first scene if you like, which is what we did at Metatopia where we also faced time constraints. We also need to decide how many scenes we're going to play. I'd like to play the full game, including the optional second mission after the interlude and the prison scene at the end after the capture scene, which would be a total of eight scenes for each of us followed by the epilogue.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Brett Darby.

Do whatever, I'm happy to try anything once!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

We'll play eight scenes, then, including the optional second mission. I think it's best that for this run we just narrate our scenes rather than go back and forth roleplaying. We could always play a second game afterwards (and possibly with more players), where we can take our time and roleplay each scene.

I've posted the thread for the card draws and the story thread, and I posted my first scene, the Training scene. You can draw your first card and then post your first scene when you're ready. Then I'll do my second scene, and so on.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Don't forget to edit your character sheet to add supporting characters you've created after you post a scene.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Okay.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Please cross Pierre off your list of characters (leave his name there, but use the strike tag to cross it out) and add a new supporting character who cares about his death as mentioned in the rules. This way, you won't run out of characters.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Okay
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've posted my final scene. After you've posted yours, then we'll do the conclusion, where we decide what to do with our final card without looking at it, either to keep it or to give it to the other player. Post your decision in a spoiler button, and I'll post mine in a spoiler button. If you give your card away, you should put the reason why you did so in the spoiler button too. Once we've both made our decisions and posted them, then we can look and see what the other player did. We can also draw our cards at that point, though if you gave your card away, the one you draw will be for the other player. After that, then we can write our epilogues.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Final Card Decision,I give my card to [b]Mathilde[/b], because I could see how much she was suffering, and I wanted to do what I could to help her, even at the cost of my own life. If I die, at least I will be spared Kohl's revenge.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Final card decision,Keep it...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've drawn my final card, which I gave to you. It was a spade, so I would have died anyway had I kept it. You may now draw your final card to see what it was, though it doesn't really matter. With two cards, you automatically survive and escape. Then you should post your Epilogue in the story thread.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Thanks.

Did you read up about the St. Nazaire raid?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome. I looked at the Wikipedia page about the St. Nazaire raid, which had material gathered from a variety of sources. It specifically mentioned the role the SOE played, in that they looked into the possibility of the SOE carrying out the raid and determined that they lacked the resources.

We drew a lot of red cards during our scenes (I got a whopping five hearts, including three in a row), and very few black cards. That meant black cards were more likely to come up for the final draws. Only one spade dropped before the final cards were drawn, which were both spades. If we had both kept our cards, or if we had both exchanged them, we would both have died, so it's good that one of us got to live.

The first playtest is now complete. Would you be interested in filling out an online form to give feedback to Alex White? If so, I'll provide you the link when he sends it to me.

Would you like to play this again, but possibly with more players and with roleplaying out scenes instead of just narrating them? That game wouldn't be done by the time he needs the feedback, but he could read it in progress.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I'll fill out the form, but I don't want to play again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, I'll send you the link in a PM when I receive it. I'll leave the forum here for now if you want to post in the chat thread some more. When you're done, let me know by posting here and I'll move it to the Hall of Fame.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Okay, done.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Awesome, I'll definitely try to find the time to read this!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner

Return to “A Cool and Lonely Courage”