Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Track 10: Sympathy for the Devil

Post by Mr. Handy »

The sight of the spider-like thing terrifies Liz, and she uncharacteristically screams. Staying well back from it, she prays and concentrates on banishing the abomination back to its own dimension.

Using Exoricsm.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara shoots at the spider creature.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
Let's take this in order of posting, Otto first. DEX 9d20
The loyal Otto boldly approaches the creature, but, possibly due to the crowding of the room, is unable to strike at it.
Spoiler:
Resisting Exorcism, treating this as a Demoniac Beast, WIS 14d20
The attempt to send the creature back from whence it came by the terrified Liz appears to have no effect. If anything, the monster appears to be amused, if one can read anything into the movement of its multiple limbs. Much more alarming than that is the fact that, amazingly, it speaks, in a deep, growling, echoing voice, as if spoken by many persons standing in a pit.

"Doth thou fear us, woman? Thou shall be next. Witness!"

With that, the thing jabs the THRUSH agent with its claws, injecting black venom into his body. The man screams in agony.
Spoiler:
Zara dex 13d20
No doubt greatly unnerved by this latest development, Zara is unable to aim the carbine accurately, and the shot goes wild. Meanwhile, the THRUSH agent's body begins to shrink, as if fluid is being drained from it, although this does not stop his shrieks.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“How intriguing!” P exclaims, oblivious to the poor agent’s fate. Holding up his hand to command Otto to pause, he steps forward.

“You are the first extra-dimensional entity I have encountered to show any signs of intelligence! I would much rather learn from you than fight you. Would you care to converse?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"NO!!!" screams Liz, taking out her chalk and quickly drawing a circle around herself, uttering the words of the ritual to protect her from evil - which this monstrosity certainly is.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara fires again.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:54 am
“How intriguing!” P exclaims, oblivious to the poor agent’s fate. Holding up his hand to command Otto to pause, he steps forward.

“You are the first extra-dimensional entity I have encountered to show any signs of intelligence! I would much rather learn from you than fight you. Would you care to converse?”
Seemingly intrigued by this request, the creature turns its attention to the man addressing it.

"Wouldst seek a boon? We have not dealt with such a one in many mortal lifetimes. Are aware of the price?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:15 pm

"NO!!!" screams Liz, taking out her chalk and quickly drawing a circle around herself, uttering the words of the ritual to protect her from evil - which this monstrosity certainly is.
While conversing with P, the creature makes some effort to reach Liz, but to no avail.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
dex 13d20
Perhaps the clearly unnatural nature of the creature causes Zara's hand to shake, spoiling her shot. The thing does not seem perturbed by her efforts.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

P glares at his two companions with irritation.

“Discoursing with guns is not the only option you know. I’d have thought better if you both; honestly, you’re worse than Tony…” he admonishes.

He turns to the creature, bowing in apology.

“All I seek is a civilised exchange of knowledge. I have never spoken to a non-humanoid life-form before and am thus ignorant of the so-called price. Do please enlighten me… and, if you would be so kind, allow my friends here to continue into the control room.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All of you, get in the circle with me for protection!" calls Liz. "That thing is a demon! The price would be your soul!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"If you're on the level, you'll let everyone out of there," Zara says to the creature.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

With the same air of amusement, the creature says "The price is indeed as stated by the lady whose countenance wears such a look of dismay at our appearance."

"Sir," he continues," addressing P, "we are reminded of another who sought knowledge from us, some centuries ago, as mortals reckon time. Sign, and shame Solomon with thy wisdom!"

With these words, a parchment appears from nowhere, along with a small knife. The words upon the parchment, written in bright red ink (?) are complex and esoteric, rendered in legalese of uncommon density; yet, in essence, it assigns the possession of all current secular knowledge to the signatory, in exchange for delivery of the signer's soul, to be collected upon demise.

Directing its multiple-eyed gaze to Zara, the thing says. "How sweet an irony would it be to face damnation for one's virtue! Child of compassion, merely sign, and thy friends shall go free."

In similar fashion, another parchment and knife appears, the words of a similar nature to the other, but describing the offer the creature has just made.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

P takes the parchment, taking a while to read it fully (if nothing else, this might buy some time for Otto to position himself favourably).

Eventually, with a curt shake of the head, he hands it back.

“Alas, I think not. Knowledge at any price in itself belies a singular lack of intellect.”

He steps into Liz’s circle.

“A pity, as I daresay we could have many a philosophical discussion on what exactly constitutes a soul. You must have quite the perspective on the matter.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"My soul's spoken for," Zara says to the creature. She's never said that quite so outright, and everyone can probably see her blanch a bit as she does.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well done," says Liz. "Zara and Otto, get in the circle. It can't hurt you in here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It would seem that events have come to something of a Mexican standoff, with the investigators unable to leave the charmed circle for fear of attack, and the creature unable to enter it.

Unnoticed by the creature, Otto approaches. It seems almost as if the thing cannot see him, for some reason. The hulking brute awaits command from his master.

Meanwhile, Zara seems a bit distracted.

Having spoken as you did draws the attention of your Dark Patron. You have a vague sense that it is expecting you to offer some high price for its assistance against its rival.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Somewhat distraught at missing out on a fascinating exchange of views, but interested in how his companion appears to be unseen, P nods to Otto.

“Otto, please show our displeasure and clobber this creature.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While this is going on, Liz blesses the bullets in her carbine.

Using Consecrate Object. If I can only consecrate one bullet, it'll be the one in the chamber. If I can, I'll consecrate the entire magazine as well. Or if consecrating the carbine affects all bullets fired from it, I'll do that instead. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

What is it you want me to do for you? Zara thinks, figuring her patron can read her mind. I'll do it if you help us stop that thing.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”