Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Track 9: Born to Be Wild

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz also helps carry the box, being stronger than she looks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara keeps a tense eye on Delgado while the others are in the cave, gun in hand.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
Tony and Liz STR = 7 and 120
No doubt driven by an urge to impress the ladies, Tony is able to lift his end of the box with seeming ease. Liz does not have as much success, but perhaps she was just allowing him to enjoy a moment of glory.

In any case, Tony and the big guy carry the box deep into the cave. Only a bit of sunlight reaches the interior from outside, just enough to make one's way. The cave floor slopes down, while the ceiling climbs, until the pair reach a large natural dome. Their heavy breathing echoes off the cave walls.

"A little way to go," the big guy says, in a loud voice. His words reverberate within the cavern. This has the unexpected side effect of alerting the cave's inhabitants.

Bats! Maybe Delgado wasn't completely lying about his reasons for being here, as the sound of countless wings comes from deeper in the cave. A cloud of the winged beasts comes rushing out at the two men.
Spoiler:
Bats not listed in the Presenter's Manual, so I'm treating them as Rats that can fly.1That's how many there are.
As far as you can tell, it's just "a lot." The bats just want to get out, so let's see how many escape. I can't roll that many dice, so I'll call the number 80 and do them ten at a time. DEX 152
Most of the bats just fly by overhead, not to be seen again, but something like two dozen, perhaps losing their remarkable ability to navigate by sonar due to fear, hunger, or disease, head for the two men.
Spoiler:
I'll see if you can dodge them DEX 14 and 73
The ill-matched pair try to duck their heads, but the frenzied bats are too disoriented to avoid the men.
Spoiler:
Let's round it down to twenty. Ten attack each person. DEX 15; Tony:4Thug:5 Wow. Quite a difference there. The bat bites aren't serious, but each one has a 10% chance of infecting the victim with rabies. Ten rolls (!) for Tony, 4 for the thug. Hope you don't get a 19 or 20.67 Wow again! Bad die rolls! Four of the bats that bit Tony are infected.
The flying beasts bite the two men, but do not draw much blood. After they leave the cave, the two men, cursing the creatures, return to their task. The big guy seems to recover quickly, but Tony doesn't feel too well.
Spoiler:
Reduce CON by 1, and again each day you can't get somewhere where there's the rabies treatment available.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Sweating profusely, the hapless Tony redoubles his efforts to move the crate, hoping that he can get some medical attention later.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

OOC:   I can't help thinking that at this point, Tony would rather pack everyone into the airship and get out while leaving the island to be nuked.  
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"So what are you really doing here?" Zara asks Delgado.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

SunlessNick wrote:
OOC:   I can't help thinking that at this point, Tony would rather pack everyone into the airship and get out while leaving the island to be nuked.  
OOC:   The thought has no doubt crossed his mind! Damn this chivalry...  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Unable to move the box, Liz stands by with her pistol and mace. "Trying to make nuclear weapons, unless I miss my guess," says Liz.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Somewhat recovered from his ordeal, Delgado manages to rise to his feet.

"Nuclear weapons," he says with a sneer. "Where's the profit in that? Do you know what lies at the bottom of this island? Far, far down, at the bottom of that pit? Coal. Ultra high grade anthracite. Under enormous pressure. And what do you think is going to happen when that little device goes off, compressing it even more? Don't worry, you'll get your share. Better to have partners than enemies, I always say."

By this time, the armor-clad figure addressed as Hammerhead has managed to stand, get off the boat, and reach the cave.

"Get back, you fool!" Delagado shouts at him. "The explosion--"

Hammerhead knocks him down with a single blow.

"I got a personal score to settle," comes in a deep voice from within the armor. Hammerhead heads into the cave.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Sweating profusely, the hapless Tony redoubles his efforts to move the crate, hoping that he can get some medical attention later.
The ill-matched pair head deeper inside the cave, almost to the edge of the pit, when they are interrupted by the arrival of Hammerhead.

"Drop that thing and fight." The booming voice echoes within the vast rock chamber. "Or I'm coming after you."

"There ain't no time," the big thug warns Tony. "We gotta drop this baby. C'mon, move!"

It would seem impossible to battle this new arrival and tend to the arduous chore of carrying the box at the same time.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I concur,” says Tony, completely stripped of his usual sang-froid. “Let’s drop this thing off and hang the consequences.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara looks at Liz. "Does that EMP of yours still work, because I'm pretty sure nothing else have is gonna."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, diamonds," says Liz when Delgado speaks. "My best friend." She takes out her EMP device and points it at the box before activating it. If Hammerhead gets hit by it too, all the better. The metal suit does not seem to actually be a robotic exoskeleton, so it may not be effective against him, though it might if there are any electrical motors in it. "It's worth a try."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Whatever you're trying to do with that gizmo won't work," Delgado notes, rubbing his arm where Hammerhead hit him. "No electronics in Hammerhead's suit, or in the box. Strictly mechanical. You'd be surprised how easy it is to set up an alarm clock so a charge of explosive rams a couple of pieces of U-235 together."

Meanwhile, Tony and the big guy rush to the pit, intent on tossing the box into its unseen depths. With a mighty effort they throw it. It soon disappears from sight. Several seconds later, there's a hollow thump from far, far below.

"Get out now!" Delgado shouts. "She's gonna blow any second!"

It would seem wise to follow this advice, but Hammerhead stands in the way.

"You guys ain't going nowhere," comes the deep voice from inside the armor.
Spoiler:
Fortunately, the suit reduces his dex to 7. But if he connects . . .0
Hammerhead takes a swing at the two, but misses by so much that it's impossible even to tell who he was aiming for.

The ground begins to tremble, like the first, minor shocks of an earthquake.

"I hope the volcano doesn't blow at the same time as the bomb," Delgado mutters. "That would be . . . bad."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Despite his state, Tony dodges Hammerhead’s attack. He looks at his thuggish friend and sighs.

“You go; I’ll keep this idiot busy...”

Putting up his fists, he steps to one side in an attempt to draw Hammerhead away enough for the thug to get past.

“Come on then you metallic moron, let’s test your mettle!”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... gomery.jpg[/img]

"If Tony can get him close to the hole, maybe we can knock him down it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"His eyes are exposed, so mace might work," says Liz, "but let me see if he responds to charm. He is still a man under all that metal." She calls out to him. "Revenge can wait, Mr. Hammerhead! If you don't get out of here now, you'll be just as dead as your enemy! Let's get away from the blast, and then you can settle it!"
OOC,A Charisma roll should be an automatic success with Beautiful and Charming, unless there's other factors hindering it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Despite his state, Tony dodges Hammerhead’s attack. He looks at his thuggish friend and sighs.

“You go; I’ll keep this idiot busy...”

Putting up his fists, he steps to one side in an attempt to draw Hammerhead away enough for the thug to get past.

“Come on then you metallic moron, let’s test your mettle!”
Spoiler:
Another swing0
The armored behemoth misses again. Obviously his eccentric choice of grab renders him less than graceful.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: "If Tony can get him close to the hole, maybe we can knock him down it."
It is obvious that the fellow is intent on his enemy, and not concerned with his own safety.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"His eyes are exposed, so mace might work," says Liz, "but let me see if he responds to charm. He is still a man under all that metal." She calls out to him. "Revenge can wait, Mr. Hammerhead! If you don't get out of here now, you'll be just as dead as your enemy! Let's get away from the blast, and then you can settle it!"
OOC,A Charisma roll should be an automatic success with Beautiful and Charming, unless there's other factors hindering it.
Spoiler:
I don't disagree, but in this particular situation, I don't think the intended recipient of your charm would be at all interested; he's too intent on the battle for revenge, and completely unconcerned with his own safety.
It's a nice try on the part of the charismatic Liz, but Hammerhead doesn't seem to pay any attention to anything but his enemy. It might be noticed, however, that Delgado heeds her words, and runs as fast as he can toward the west. The ground continues to tremble.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”