Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Re: Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Post by Starspawn338 »

Once Lew discovers that there might possibly be a base underneath this building, he will go looking around to see where it might be accessed from. Hopefully he will run into someone else before too long.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"I'll let you decide about undergoing enhancement while I activate the vehicle," the Professor says. He allows himself a small chuckle. "I like to call it the Minnow Two, for my own reasons."

Entering the vehicle, he moves his hands quickly over the control panel, causing a number of multicolored lights to blink on and off and a soft humming sound to emerge. The transparent objects on the sides of the vehicle expand in size until they nearly fill the room, resembling the wings of an enormous dragonfly. The vehicle itself rises above the floor a meter or so, with no apparent means of support.

"Antigravitons," the Professor explains. "Useful for takeoff and landing, but not for long distance work. Devilishly expensive, too."

More fiddling with the controls produces bright, scarlet light from beneath the vehicle. In response, the wings can be seen to rise toward the ceiling of the room. More notable is the fact that the ceiling retracts to reveal a long line of similar moving floors and roofs, so that only a tall, hollow tower stands between the vehicle and the sky. Apparently all the many rooms above this one were never intended to be occupied.

"Last call," the Professor cries. "All aboard! There's a small gamma ray generator inside, if need be. Of course, it can only be used once by each individual. The effects of double exposure . . . well, I hate to think about them."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Starspawn338 wrote: Once Lew discovers that there might possibly be a base underneath this building, he will go looking around to see where it might be accessed from. Hopefully he will run into someone else before too long.
Spoiler:
Just to keep things moving along . . .
Meanwhile, Lew has been able to track the movements of the men in black, who seem to have no interest at all in his actions. It doesn't take long for him to locate the hidden underground room, and witness what's going on.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Well, I suppose there's nothing for it - bang, zoom, right to the moon and all that."

With a nervous smile, Tony heads towards the Minnow Two.

"I don't suppose we have tailored spacesuits do we?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I must admit I am tempted by the idea," says Liz as she boards the vessel, "and curious to see what abilities I'd develop. I am a bit concerned I'd get something detrimental, but it would also most likely be beneficial in some way. I'll consider it. In the interests of science, of course."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"Radiation?" Zara says, a little dubiously. "But superpowers sound cool. I'll go for it."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
"Well, I suppose there's nothing for it - bang, zoom, right to the moon and all that."

With a nervous smile, Tony heads towards the Minnow Two.

"I don't suppose we have tailored spacesuits do we?"
"No need for that, my good fellow! This is a mere preliminary expedition. There and back in two shakes of a lamb's tail. Rooms with all the necessary facilities at the back."

He gives everyone a quick tour of the vehicle; the interior is Spartan but adequate. There's a jar of what seem to be small spherical candies, of many colors, near the four seats.

"If you get hungry," he explains.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I must admit I am tempted by the idea," says Liz as she boards the vessel, "and curious to see what abilities I'd develop. I am a bit concerned I'd get something detrimental, but it would also most likely be beneficial in some way. I'll consider it. In the interests of science, of course."
"Certainly. Take all the time you need. Meanwhile, let me assist the other young lady."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
"Radiation?" Zara says, a little dubiously. "But superpowers sound cool. I'll go for it."
The Professor takes Zara to one of the rooms at the back of the vehicle, which opens only when he places his hand on the featureless door. It opens to reveal a device similar to the one found in his lab, but of smaller size.

"Just step out when it stops making noise. It's all automatic."

The door closes behind her. The device makes a humming sound. The Professor steps well away, directing the others to do so as well.

"Wouldn't want to induce any undesired effects," he explains.
Spoiler:
https://www.springhole.net/writing_role ... powers.htm

Your powers are super memory and immunity to most diseases.
When the machine stops, and Zara joins the others, there is no obvious physical change in her. However, her mind and body feel a lot healthier than they ever have.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

After checking that Zara feels no ill-effects from her treatment, Tony inspects one of the sweets.

"I hardly think humbugs and pear drops will be enough to sate our appetites old chap," he says, idly fishing one out and popping it into his mouth.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I'm not sure what happened, but I feel great!" Zara says.
Spoiler:
What does this do to Zara's alcoholism? It's part of the supernatural curse of her Maudit class,so it doesn't quite seem like it should count as a disease.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You certainly look none the worse for wear," says Liz, unable to resist any longer. "All right, I'll go next."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew cannot tell from his vantage point whether the others are willing going or not and since it appears things are progressing swiftly, he will intercede.

"Excuse me. Can you please show me the consent forms and waivers of liability for these people? I know everything is probably safe but these are all still going from blueprints to human testing. We must insure the proper paperwork has been filled out."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
After checking that Zara feels no ill-effects from her treatment, Tony inspects one of the sweets.

"I hardly think humbugs and pear drops will be enough to sate our appetites old chap," he says, idly fishing one out and popping it into his mouth.
The colored sphere dissolves in Tony's mouth slowly, producing, in order, the sensations of a mixed green salad; roast beef; green beans almondine, with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy; and pineapple upside down cake. He feels quite sated after the sphere has completely disappeared. It does not, however, relieve thirst, which must be satisfied with plain water, which the vehicle carries in abundance.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
"I'm not sure what happened, but I feel great!" Zara says.
Spoiler:
What does this do to Zara's alcoholism? It's part of the supernatural curse of her Maudit class,so it doesn't quite seem like it should count as a disease.
Spoiler:
I would agree.
Emerging from the small room, Zara suddenly has a vivid memory of the first drawing she ever produced, as a very young child, which she is able to recall in every detail; the tactile sensation of the paper and crayons, the sound of the crayons moving across the paper, the exact shape and color of the objects depicted -- hardly sophisticated at such a tender age, but already displaying inherent skill in balance and co-ordination -- the smell of the crayons, the warmth of the room, to name just a few of the sensations that come flooding back.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"You certainly look none the worse for wear," says Liz, unable to resist any longer. "All right, I'll go next."
A similar procedure follows for Liz.
Spoiler:
https://www.springhole.net/writing_role ... powers.htm

Your power is eating anything.

I wasn't expecting something like that, but that's the way the ball bounces.
There is no obvious change in her, but she feels a bit peckish, no doubt as a result of all this excitement.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Starspawn338 wrote: Lew cannot tell from his vantage point whether the others are willing going or not and since it appears things are progressing swiftly, he will intercede.

"Excuse me. Can you please show me the consent forms and waivers of liability for these people? I know everything is probably safe but these are all still going from blueprints to human testing. We must insure the proper paperwork has been filled out."
As everything else is going on, the unexpected arrival of Lew with these legal demands causes the Professor to look upon him in a disconcerted manner. He mumbles some sort of reply. What exactly it might be is not of great importance, given the face that several figures, dressed from head to toe in black, including ski masks, are rappelling down into the underground room from the recently exposed open roof.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
There are five of them, apparently well-prepared for this eventuality, as their arrival indicates careful planning, and the availability of people and equipment on the roof of the facility well in advance of this moment. In a few minutes they will arrive near the vehicle.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara seems lost in thought for a moment, a slow smile spreading over her face. At the sudden intrusion, she darts to the side of the room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz grabs one of the little spheres and eats it. When the men start to drop in, she looks around for a place to hide.
OOC,Hey, this ability works for Dr. Zoidberg! ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As the attackers abseil down from the roof opening, Tony has no time to savour his unusual meal, or to check on Lz. He readies his stick, standing between the men and his companions. If they will allow it, he will shepherd them towards the vessel.

"Not our battle I think; I suggest we scarper. Shall we leg it, or take the Minnow Two?"

If there is room for five, the Professor can tag along, otherwise his three chums take precedence.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”