Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

What with one thing and another, the investigators are happy to see Ember (or whatever her real name is) and her mother take off to start a new life together. Nothing more is heard about the Master, at least not from any normal sources of information, and the riots at the stadium and draft board in Inglewood are dismissed as the usual unrest at anti-war protests, all too common these days.

Things are fairly quiet for a while, at least compared to what's been going on lately. Back at the Sospiri, they can share their experiences and speculate about what it all means.

In particular, during casual conversation one evening, they discover that they all had the same dream, although some of the details differed from person to person. In brief, they all saw a man dressed in an old-fashioned military uniform, which at least a few are able to identify as that worn by British soldiers during the Napoleonic Wars. The fellow seems to be demanding something from each of them, but, as often happens in dreams, his words were unintelligible. With a growing sense of concern, the investigators come to the conclusion that, somehow or other, they need to figure out what this portends.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Post by jp1885 »

“Dashed odd,” muses a freshly-groomed Tony. “Us all having the same dream like that. Military chap kinda reminded me of someone... Ah yes!”

He fishes inside his jacket, producing the sketch that Zara had drawn before their encounter with the Master.

“I wonder...?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My thoughts exactly," says Liz. "A bit of historical research is in order, but we need more to go on. I could review my ancestor's memoirs, perhaps."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara is nursing a gin at the Sospiri, but is making some effort to take it slow. "I saw him once before too, at the fire in the draft board," she says. "When it was getting heavy for Tony and me, I asked for help. I guess he did help us - that must be what Ember was talking about. He said I'd have to pay for it somehow - but I didn't think he'd want something from you too. I'm sorry."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Waving aside Zara's worries, Tony sips his wine, wincing afterwards (oh for a decent Claret!)

"A bit of research wouldn't go amiss Liz, and if the chap saved me from being burnt to a crisp, I suppose I owe him one. What's the deal with you and these mysterious figures Zara?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara's answer is slow, as if she's not used to laying it out like this. "There's one that's been with me a long time. I don't really know what it is, but it wants me - to own me - the way I see things. Sometimes it helps me, sometimes it hurts me - takes away something in my life that's not about my art. The guy, maybe he's the same. I don't know - he's new. I'll be back in a tick, I need another gin - anyone else want anything?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This soldier chap may be some sort of spirit," says Liz. "Perhaps the ghost of an actual British soldier from a century and a half ago, or perhaps it just takes that form. Thanks, Zara. I don't suppose they serve Guinness?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

While examining the extensive -- and, some might say, difficult to accept as entirely factual -- memoirs of one Henry North, physician and thirteenth Earl of Dunwich, a learned man of the late Eighteenth and early Nineteenth Century, Liz comes across a description of a certain Captain William Palliser, a soldier with whom Lord Dunwich shared many curious adventures. What became of the Captain after these experiences is not recorded. From the detailed -- indeed, scientific -- description of the fellow left by Lord Dunwich, he seems to resemble the figure encountered in the shared dream in many details.

It remains to be seen in what manner the restless spirit of the late Captain might be contacted. A seance? A consultation with a local psychic? Perhaps some other way?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony raises an eyebrow at Liz's tales of her ancestor, then grins.

"Frankly my dear, if I hadn't already encountered embalming monsters, walking skeletons, pyronetics and fire elementals, I'd say you were crazy. Zara, are you able to communicate with these entities?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Not like a conversation," Zara saya. "They know what I say to them, and sometimes I can feel when they're angry or something."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew nurses his tonic water and ponders what is being said. "I had no idea when I met all of you that we'd be encountering all these fantastical situations. However, when it comes to mediums and contact with the spirit world, that's something that I have investigated in the past. While I wouldn't describe myself as a true believer, I've always kept an open mind. He offers. "I know a psychic that's done readings for me in the past. Perhaps she could help. Her name is Jeane Dixon."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a thought," says Liz. "I know in theory how to conduct a seance, but I've never actually tried it before. Another thing we can do is try lucid dreaming. I can implant post-hypnotic suggestions in us - in myself as well, through self-hypnosis - so that when we dream, we become aware that we are dreaming and can take control of the dream. Then we can communicate with Captain Palliser. My initial impression when I first saw the drawing was right, it is he. There's no mistaking my ancestor's description. He is quite the handsome chap. Had a way with the ladies from what I've read in the memoirs. We can also do further research on him now we know his name. If he left something unfinished in life, it would help to know what that is." She smiles at Tony. "I've known for some time that there is more to the world than meets the eye, though madness does run in my family, and my ancestor had a reputation for it as well. Still, I have found things that corroborate some of his accounts. I grew up in his castle and explored every inch of it I could find. I never did find that hidden chamber that's supposed to contain the Brazen Head, guarded by a golem, though I'm sure there are secret passages and hidden underground rooms I've never discovered there. It's probably for the best, though. He did warn that the Brazen Head should remain concealed until the end of the world."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Lew is able to have a brief phone conversation with Jeane Dixon, now world-famous for her prediction of the assassination of President Kennedy. After casually mentioning that the Soviet Union will be the first nation to put a man on the Moon, she considers the matter at hand.
Spoiler:
In this universe, let's assume that Dixon had genuine psychic powers, and a WIS of, say, 16[dice]0[/dice]
After meditating for a while, Dixon admits defeat.

"There is something blocking my vision. It seems that the entity you describe is trying to hide from me, with, I must confess, a great deal of success."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

While arrangements for the seance are made, the investigators undergo the process of hypnosis and lucid dreaming suggested by Liz. The effort is successful, as it is well known that almost anyone who is willing to try can learn lucid dreaming.

That night, each of the party encounters the figure of Captain Palliser in their dreams. In the lucid state, they are able to communicate directly with him. No doubt each person will have something different to say, but, inevitably, each will inquire as to his reason for contacting them. The answer to each is expressed in the same words.

"I must have a body again, so that I may have vengeance!"

Upon further questioning, combined with research into some of the lesser known chronicles of early California, it seems that Captain Palliser, at a greatly advanced age, many years after his adventures with Lord Dunwich, made the hazardous trip around Cape Horn to the New World, proof that his bold nature had not deserted him with the passage of time. Records of the time -- in Spanish, of course -- indicate that the Captain, in search of new experiences, arrived in the town of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora de los Angeles de Porciuncula not long after Mexico won its independence from Spain. The available information ends in a dramatic way, as Captain Palliser was murdered by person or persons unknown, and buried in an undisclosed location.

Meanwhile, a customer of Sospiri, overhearing some of what has been said, hands them a business card, decorated with paisley designs in scarlet and purple, bearing the words MADAME ZENOBIA and a local address for something called the Pacific Spiritualist Association.

"Maybe she can help you," the woman says. "She was able to let me talk to my Uncle Fred."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony takes the card with gracious thanks, despite being in a somewhat grumpy mood (he had been taking the advantage of his lucid dream to explore the bedrooms of Liz’s castle, accompanied by the good doctor, when Captain Pallister turned up just as things were becoming interesting).

“One assumes the poor chap wants to possess one of us to pursue his vengeance, but surely his killer must be long dead by now.”

He pauses, remembering the wide range of historical costumes worn by the victims of the Embalmer.

“Or maybe not... Perhaps a chat with this Madame Zenobia is in order. Also we should learn as much as we can about the gallant soldier and find out where he’s buried.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Yeah," Zara agrees.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's worth a try," says Liz. "We can find his remains, but they'll just be bones after over a century. Of course, he may have something buried with him with more information. Dr. Henry North did experiments with the reanimation of the dead, but I don't know if he ever had any success. Even so, there wouldn't be much of a body left to reanimate. I suppose we could try a recently dead body, or maybe build a robot body for him, but I've no idea how to put him inside it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Pacific Spiritualist Association proves to be a small storefront located on one of the back streets of Venice. Heavy velvet curtains block the window facing the street. Upon entering, a set of chimes attached to the door announce the arrival of a visitor. The front room is filled with bean bags and ottomans, most of which are occupied by one or more cats. The scent of incense fills the room. Illumination is provided by multiple candles, as well as a few lava lamps. Upon the walls are astrological posters, charts of chiromancy, and the like.

From behind a set of beaded curtains emerges a woman of middle years, dark-skinned, with elaborately beaded braids reaching nearly to her waist. She wears a loose, brightly colored, floor-length tie-dyed dress, multiple beaded necklaces, too many rings and bracelets to count, and nearly as many anklets above her bare feet. She bows her head to the new arrivals while maintaining a serious expression.

"I am Zenobia. How may I assist you?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Madam Zenobia - a pleasure."

Tony bows.

"We'd like to contact someone from beyond the veil, if we may."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew notes the lack of comfortable seating and stands just inside the doorway. "We seek information about a restless spirit." He offers.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”