Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Re: Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Hmmm. If this is a pistol ball, maybe that's the barrel of the pistol over there. A duel perhaps?" Lew muses.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

It would appear that Liz and Lew's instincts are quite accurate, as Tony's stick emerges from the water with an antique flintlock dueling pistol, of a design used circa the year 1800. It is clear that the metal spheres are of a size and shape to serve as ammunition for the old weapon, were they not in such time-ravaged condition. By carefully scraping away an accumulation of vegetable matter upon the pistol, it can be seen that it was a fine weapon of its time, decorated with silver, the metal engraved in letters so elaborately filigreed that they are difficult to read. By peering at them closely, they can be deciphered as J R y C.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“I say, you’re most awfully clever; this is indeed a firearm,” says Tony, inspecting the weapon.

“J R y C... someone Ruiz y Calderón I’ll wager. I think we may have found the murder weapon.”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"And possibly the location where he died?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, one of Consuela's relatives, no doubt," agrees Liz. "He must have fought a duel with Captain Palliser to defend her honour. Shall we ask the head again? Perhaps now that we're here, it will have more to say."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
WIS = 10 (I don't think adjustments would apply here)[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the best efforts of Liz to communicate with the skull, it does not appear to be responsive to her.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara looks around for anywhere a body might be buried - a mound, an odd patch of plant growth, or something. Under her breath, she mutters, "Come on man, this is your show, so show me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz assists in the search, though she knows it will be hard to find considering that the grave is over a century old. She focuses on the area near the creek.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Zara looks around for anywhere a body might be buried - a mound, an odd patch of plant growth, or something. Under her breath, she mutters, "Come on man, this is your show, so show me."
Spoiler:
wis = 11 + 1 for Perception = 12[dice]0[/dice]
As if in response to her words, Zara experiences -- well, call it a impression, intuition, or a hunch, perhaps aided by the vague remnants of previous supernatural connections -- that what they're looking for isn't the remains of a body at all.

Of course! Dueling pistols always came as a matched pair!
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Liz assists in the search, though she knows it will be hard to find considering that the grave is over a century old. She focuses on the area near the creek.
Spoiler:
WIS = 10 + 1 Discover Secrets + 3 Sharp Eyes = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Despite her great skill and experience in uncovering that which has been hidden, Liz does not discover anything of interest. It seems clear that the investigators need to explore further along either the dry canyon, the creek, or both, and probably for a considerable distance, the nearby areas yielding little.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara lets the rest of the gang in on what's come to her, and changes the focus of her search.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Ah yes, of course: a brace of pistols!"

Tony elects to explore further along the creek, poking around for other antique firearms whilst avoiding any more critters.
WIS 11,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz also proceeds along the shoreline of the creek, her eyes peeled for another pistol or anything else out of the ordinary.
OOC,Wisdom roll (10 stat + 1[Discover Secrets] + 3[Sharp Eyes] = 14) searching along the creek: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew will go to where the first pistol was found and look for a clear line of fire. "Assuming this was a duel and not a murder, perhaps the other gun is in this direction."
He counts off 40 paces from the first pistol and looks around.
OOC,Wisdom 10 [dice]0[/dice]
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Lew's clever notion leads him to a spot where a tiny glimpse of metal, which would have been easily overlooked, can be seen buried in loose dirt. After some digging, it can be seen that it is, indeed, a dueling pistol identical to the one already discovered. Close examination reveals that a round metal pellet remains within its bore; evidently it was loaded but not fired.

Meanwhile, Liz's sharp eyes detect another item of interest. Although much ravaged by time and the elements, within the rushing water of the creek, nearly completely hidden under a large boulder which, apparently, has held it in place for more than a century, lies a wooden box of such a size and shape as to reveal its use as a case for the pistols.

Tony, evidently having a bad day, does not have as much success.
Spoiler:
Failed searches in this area lead to unpleasant encounters. 1 = r, 2 = c, 3 = s[already encountered, so no effect], 4 = g, 5 = m, 6 = b[dice]0[/dice]
His search disturbs a sleeping Gila monster, its mottled hide making it nearly invisible among rocks and sand of almost the same color.
Spoiler:
Because this could be very bad, let's give you a chance to get out of the way of the rather sluggish Gila monster. DEX = 14[dice]1[/dice]Oh, dear. Bad luck.
Taken entirely off guard, Tony experiences what some experts have described as the most painful venom produced by any vertebrate. The slow-moving but tenacious animal snaps at his ankle -- the one that, up to now, was uninjured -- with its sharp teeth and secretes its poison into his veins. It requires quite a bit of effort to pull the Gila monster off of Tony's leg, that process itself causing further tearing of the already bleeding flesh.
Spoiler:
bite damage other than venom[dice]2[/dice]
Although not life-threatening, the bleeding is quite profuse. Meanwhile, the venom, already producing excruciating pain at the site of the bite, works its way into Tony's body.
Spoiler:
Con = 8 to avoid systemic effects of the venom[dice]3[/dice]
Besides the agonizing pain and swelling of the area of the bite, Tony feels light-headed and weak, a sign of dropping blood pressure. He is in need of medical help.
Spoiler:
sorry about all the bad die rolls!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony collapses to the ground, cursing his luck and Captain Pallister in equal measure.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

OOC:  
Tony collapses to the ground, cursing his luck and Captain Pallister in equal measure.
I'm sorry...  

First, to Lew and Liz, "That's great, guys!"

Then, "OMG, Tony! Are you all-, no forget that. We've got to get back to town! I've got some gin with me, will it help with the pain?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz rushes to Tony's side. Hurriedly, she uses her knife to cut open the wound to let out the envenomed blood and then proceeds to alternately suck out the poison and spit it out, hoping to keep too much of it from entering his bloodstream. Unfortunately, while she knows what to do in theory, she's never tried this before. "It's no good," she says at last. "He's going to need a medical doctor, not a Doctor of Science. Help me carry him. The gin might help, though I much prefer whiskey myself."
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 stat + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15) treating [b]Tony[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The investigators seem to be in a desperate situation, a dozen miles from civilization and with a badly injured member of the party. After a long, difficult time spent helping the wounded man, woozy now from many shots of gin that ease his pain, very slowly back down the trail, watching all the while for other hikers who might be able to send for help, a possible source of aid arrives.

From the west a helicopter, somewhat larger than the one seen earlier, arrives, hovers over the investigators a while, sending sand and dust spraying everywhere, and then finds a flat enough place to land, revealing the obvious skill of the woman piloting the aircraft. As if prepared for this situation, the vehicle contains enough empty seats to carry all members of the party safely, if not exactly comfortably. The pilot does not speak, remaining busy with the controls, and nearly completely concealed by flying helmet and jumpsuit. Her only companion, a burly fellow in nondescript suit, tie, and sunglasses, steps out of the door and gestures them inside.

"Come," he says in a deep voice revealing a Slavic accent. "Ve haff doctor."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Even in his semi-lucid state, the accent is enough to make Tony groan.
Bolowski...”he mutters.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”