Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Track Three: A Whiter Shade of Pale

Post by Mr. Handy »

"O-negative is the universal donor," says Liz over the radio, rolling her eyes at the medic's mistake, but relieved that at least it wouldn't have gotten Moonflower killed as a result. "She's O-positive, so she can safely receive any blood that's type O, whether it's positive or negative, but nothing else."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Tony kicks himself - damn this aristocratic blood! He joins Zara.

"I'm sorry my dear, I've practically been ignoring you. How are you? You handled yourself marvellously." He raises his voice slightly. "I hope these two policemen haven't been hassling you - cocaine indeed! Maybe they'd like to have their blood type tested, hm?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"You can try mine," Zara says to the medics. "I've got some handy," she adds with a slightly hysterical laugh.

To Tony, she says, "I was sure he was going to kill me. Thankyou for coming after me." A little louder, "Thank all of you." Quiter again, "Where's Liz. Is she ok?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

After explanations of Liz's injuries and current whereabouts are offered, Zara's blood is tested.

"What is this," one cop murmurs to the other, "some freak hippie blood cult? If these two medics weren't here . . ."

"Come on," he says, more loudly, "we ain't got all day."
Spoiler:
same as before[dice]0[/dice]
"A+," one of the medics says, a little chagrined by his previous error in calling Moonflower a universal donor. Obviously he forgot about the Rh factor. "Sorry, that won't work either. Anybody else?"

It's obvious that the medics will both be busy operating the transfusion equipment, so can't be spared. Neither one of the cops is willing to stop pointing his pistols at the adventurers; they're still pretty suspicious about the whole thing.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Carson sighs and volunteers.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

While Carson's blood is being tested, Tony approaches the two cops.

"Put those dreadful guns down please. If we were, er, I believe the vernacular is 'smackheads', I hardly think we'd have built this elaborate set-up." He gestures around the chamber. "Radio your superiors and mention dear Agent Carson over there - yes, 'Agent' Carson, of the CIA. Now if you'll excuse me..."

Nodding curtly, he saunters off to search the place for clues, hoping that the cops don't shoot him first.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

The cops' hostile words leave Zara feeling self-conscious about the minidress she's wearing. She retreats back to her spot by the wall and tries to curl up small.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"What kind of man would I be if I didn't volunteer to give up my blood to save a girl." Lew says as he offers up his arm.
OOC,[dice]0[/dice]
"I believe I'm a universal donor."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Roll for Carson:[dice]0[/dice]
"Another A+," the medic remarks after sampling Carson's blood.

Fortunately, Lew is the perfect donor. As the cops look on, ignoring Tony's suggestion that they put away their firearms with a sneer, the medics proceed to set up the transfusion. (It's a lucky break that these officers have worked with these medics before, and trust them, or they might not have let them go on with the procedure.)

After a while, Moonflower, although still weak and disoriented, is conscious enough to be transported, with great care, back up the stairs by the two medics.

"Now that we've got the lady stable," one cop says, "what's the real story here?"

Before anyone can answer, a very loud sound erupts from above the chamber. It sounds as if water, or some such substance, is rushing at a tremendous rate.

"We better get out of here," the other cop says. "Could be a flood coming. Sewer line broken or something. We're gonna have to run these folks in anyway, so let's move."

"OK, people," the other says. "Up the stairs, nice and slow. No tricks! We'll be right behind you."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara grabs the wetsuit and boots before leaving the room - she has no intention of going back into the sewage in bare legs and feet.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony's immediate thought is that of the white liquid thing that attacked them in the 'viewing chamber' or the fluid in which those poor women in the tanks were preserved. He has no wish to come into contact with either of them, so obeys the cops' commands without argument.

Should a suitable container be at hand, he will use the distraction to scoop up some of the white dust for later analysis first.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"There's an elevator," Carson points out. "That might be quicker."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Only a couple of us could fit in it," Zara says.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew will head up the stairs, although slowed by age and his recent donation of blood.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Carson nods in reply to Zara and follows the others up the stairs.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

If Zara doesn't need assistance (ladies first), Tony will help Lew up the stairs.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Seeing that the suspects (as they think of them) are being co-operative, and have done the best they could to aid the medics in their work, the cops relax a little.

"O'Malley," says the one who is apparently in charge, "you take the elevator. I'll head up the stairs with these folks. That way nobody can pull a fast one and make a break for it."

"Right." O'Malley does as he is told, as the others head up the stairs. The other cop pauses long enough to gather some evidence, while keeping an eye (and a pistol) on the investigators. Since nobody can watch everything at once, Tony has a chance to gather a sample of the powder.

By the time the people climbing the stairs are almost up to the chamber from which they descended, they hear sounds as of several people sloshing through liquid, then inarticulate sounds coming from a man, as of someone too startled to speak clearly, then several pistol shots, then a man screaming.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, Moonflower has been rushed to the same hospital where Liz has been treated. Both women are stabilized and, as luck would have it, are in the same emergency room holding area. The ER is particularly busy, with extra staff being called in and patients going through triage to determine how critical it is to treat them in a timely manner. From the excited conversations of physicians, nurses, and other professionals, it seems that there has been a rash of severe burn cases from all over the city.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Why are so many people suffering from burns?" Liz asks the next member of the staff who comes into her room.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"That liquid!" Zara exclaims. "It must have attacked the other cop!" She frantically pulls the wetsuit on over the minidress before she has to step out into the sewer itself.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"I think you're right Zara - we must help the poor chap."

Tony turns to the other policeman.

"Officer, your colleague is under attack from forces none of us can yet understand, but nonetheless we must rush to his aid!

As Tony follows the screaming (presumably to the 'display chamber'), he looks for a plank or large piece of wood that he could possibly use to bridge the evil liquid.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”