Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Track Three: A Whiter Shade of Pale

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The investigators find themselves together again after a well-deserved night's rest. The weather has changed for the better, with sunshine and mild temperatures predicted. It would seem to be time to make plans.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Track Three: A Whiter Shade of Pale

Post by Rooter »

Carson is speaking on the payphone to his Government Contact, requesting any findings from the police lab on the glove.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara purchases a gin before heading to the jon the others. "What happened last night after the cops came? There was another girl in their morgue - they showed us. It wasn't Moonflower. That's three now."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Tony arrives somewhat later than the others. After a visit to his tailor and a gentleman's hair stylist, he spends some time indulging in a little detective leg-work.

Asking around among those in the city who, for a certain price, can find out certain things, he tries to find out where and when the victims of the Embalmer were last seen. This to help narrow down the best place and time to set the trap.

He also searches for places in the locality where the chemicals and equipment needed to embalm a person can be bought. Likewise, had any hospitals, morgues or undertakers reported any robberies lately?

Finally, he makes a mental note to revisit Bolowski's lair at the 'Pee Oh Pee' once this unpleasant business is over...

He arrives to hear Zara's tale.

"Well at least there's a chance that Moonflower is still alive."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Rooter wrote:
Carson is speaking on the payphone to his Government Contact, requesting any findings from the police lab on the glove.
Spoiler:
The contact provides the information that something must have gone wrong in the crime lab.

"They got a clear set of prints, all right, but they were completely blank. Not as if the perp tried to disguise his prints with acid or something; that would have left marks of some kind. Just completely empty ovals, as if he was born without fingerprints at all. Somebody goofed.

By the way, the techies in your area report that some kind of weird, indecipherable transmissions are emanating from an unknown source in the vicinity. They can't quite pin it down, but it seems to be aimed in the general direction of Venus. Might be some kind of attempt to spy on NASA's Mariner V probe that's currently orbiting that planet. The boss says to check it out during your 'free time,' ha, ha. Good luck."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
CHA = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Tony's charming manners manage to win the confidence of the city coroner, who welcomes the opportunity to spin yarns about his experiences on the job. After some time spent discussing macabre details of previous cases, he gets to the point.

"The victims were last seen alive somewhere near one of the canals, except the Jane Doe. Nobody knows where she came from, so I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it was the same for her. None of my buddies in the undertaking business have reported any supplies missing, which doesn't surprise me. You know why? Because this nut isn't using modern chemicals. Hell, formaldehyde has been standard since the late 19th century. This kook is using stuff from long before that, crazy mixtures of arsenic, mercury, God knows what else."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a good point," says Liz. "We don't know how long ago the other girl was taken. If we can find his lair quickly, we might still save Moonflower."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony relates the information he gleaned about the strange cocktail of chemicals used by the Embalmer to his fellow investigators.

"This cat is certainly a strange one. I half expect him to come stalking out of the fog in a top hat and cape, twirling his moustache."

"A thought strikes me: how about a high-tech solution to catch an old-time villain? Mr. Carson, would you have access to something like a waterproof radio tracker? If, heaven forbid, we fail to catch the killer and he escapes with Dr. North, perhaps we could at least follow them?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, capital idea!" says Liz. "I'm all in favour of anything that doesn't end up with me being murdered."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Carson nods. "The Jane Doe in the morgue was one of the Russkies. At least it proves Zara's painting was right and the killer visited the park. But the fingerprints weren't any help since it turns out our perp doesn't have any. Speaking of radios, a little bird tells me there are some strange transmissions going on in the vicinity. I'm going to take a look around."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony grins at Dr. North.

"You being murdered would be a tragedy to humanity my dear. Maybe I could obtain such a device from my contacts, if Mr. Carson here is unable to furnish us with one. I will make some calls presently."

He frowns when Carson outlines what he's learned.

"No finger prints? At all? How dashed peculiar... Could the strange transmissions be down to Bolowski and her cronies? Does your agency have the technology to pinpoint such things may I ask? If that's not hush-hush of course."

"Whatever the case, we should prepare ourselves and them take a stroll along the canal."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After some time spent shopping at the local Radio Shack, the investigators are able to purchase the kiund of radio tracking device required.

"Great product," the shopkeeper says, polishing his horn rim glasses and straightening his pocket protector. "Top of the line. Real Star Trek stuff. The components only weight about ten pounds each, and it'll only set you back a few hundred bucks."

At this point, it would be a good idea to decide exactly where and when this trap is going to be set up, and who is going to play what parts.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

After paying for the tracker and it's associated receiver Tony muses on what to do next.

The time of the trap - this is tricky. Moonflower was with us all night, but the scuba diver was seen during that time. She must have disappeared after we went to search the park, which was during the day. Perhaps we should set our trap ASAP and be prepared for a long wait if necessary.

Dr. North has volunteered to be the bait, and so should be fitted with the tracker. For protection she also has the can of Mace I gave her yesterday, and whatever weaponry she has about her person.

The canal seems the most obvious place to set the trap. We know where the scuba diver tried to snatch Moonflower - was it near to the spot where her clothes were subsequently found, or the spot where the other two bodies were discovered? Maybe place Dr. North somewhere around these locations?
She should act drunk, or under the influence of something.

The rest of us should be nearby. Some of us hidden among some strategically placed trash and ready to literally cast the net when the abductor appears, the others to guard Zara, just in case the killer ignores our bait and goes for her. There are enough cans of Mace, some of us are probably 'packing heat' and I will rely on my trusty stick should it come to violence.

If we catch the killer, all well and good. However if he manages to make off with Dr. North then we activate the tracker and follow them post-haste.

Splitting up duties, perhaps Agent Carson, Lew and myself should lie in wait for the trap to be sprung, with Carson operating the tracker if necessary. Bill could be close by, keeping an eye on Zara in case she has any psychic episodes but being ready to assist us if required.

Stroking his moustache and feeling that he's missing something obvious, he outlines his thoughts to the others and awaits their replies.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"Maybe by the pool," Zara adds. "That's where he threw away the glove, and where the view in my painting was from."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe he burned his fingerprints off with acid," says Liz. "I've heard that criminals sometimes do that. Thank you, Tony. The plan sounds like a good one. You're right, I should act like I'm under the influence. Moonflower certainly was. I've never tried it myself, but I know enough about the effects of LSD to act the part."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Further discussion elicits the information that, as far as anyone can tell, the disappearances all took place by the canals, but at different places. That is also where Moonflower's belongings were found, as well as the bodies of the other victims.

As you might expect, this makes most people avoid the canals completely, except for those who are foolhardy or stoned, or folks whose shabby residences are located near them. The police patrol the areas as much as they can, but with the constant trespassing and vandalism of Pacific Ocean Park, the influx of hippies into Venice with their drugs and public nudity, and the constant threat of biker gang violence, they've got their hands full.

Eventually the investigators find a place and time when they have one of the canals to themselves. It's possible for everyone but Doctor North to stay out of sight, but only at the cost of some delay if they have to go into action.

It is a clear, moonlit night. As Doctor North strolls by the canal, in an apparent state of intoxication, a hand wearing a black leather glove, attached to an arm in a wet suit, emerges from the murky water with extraordinary speed and attempts to grab to grab her leg. She has only a heartbeat to react.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz tries to dodge the hand, moving away from the canal to force the killer to climb out of it in order to get at her.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) to avoid the grasping hand: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Strategically hidden behind some cardboard boxes, Tony nearly jumps out of his skin as the hand bursts out of the water. He tenses as Dr. North dodges back and, clutching the net, prepares to make his move.

If the diver begins to climb out of the canal he will dash forward as it does so, throwing the net on the hopefully struggling figure.

If the diver slips back into the canal he will still leap forward before throwing the net into the canal (keeping hold of one end) in an attempt to entangle the figure.

Either way, the next step will be to incapacitate the diver with his stick, calling on the others to help out.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Further back, Carson crouches with pistol in hand, drawing a bead on the patch of water in question.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The figure in the wetsuit and scuba gear emerges. He -- the tightness of the suit leaves no doubt that it is a man -- is very tall and thin. As of yet, nothing else can be told, as his entire face and body are hidden.
Spoiler:
Tony's DEX =- 14 + 1 Danger = 15[dice]0[/dice]
With all the skill of an experienced hunter of villains, Tony is able to toss the net over the man's body. With a bloodcurdling, high-pitched shriek, the fellow tries to rip his way out of the net. It is obvious he is of great strength.
Spoiler:
average STR=9 + the equivalent of the Increase Strength spell +4 = 13[dice]1[/dice]
As if it were no more than ordinary string, the man tears way the net and heads for the canal. Jack fires at him.
Spoiler:
DEX = 9 + 1 Danger = 10[dice]2[/dice]
Despite the darkness and trying to hit a moving target, he is successful.
Spoiler:
damage: [dice]3[/dice]
The fellow screams in agony, sounding more like a wounded jungle cat than a man. He falls into the water and is lost to sight. As the investigators rush to the canal they see what they can only assume is a pool of blood left behind by the man. A closer look reveals, even in moonlight, that it is the exact color of milk.

Sirens approach. Apparently somebody heard the shot and called the cops.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”