Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Track One: Are You Experienced?

Post by jp1885 »

Tony pretends not to notice Zara's words, but tries to catch Dr. North's eye to see her reaction by raising an enquiring eyebrow.

He also considers how to bring up what the policeman told him about the murder and see how it matches Zara's supposed prophecies, without accidently seeding the information in her mind by mentioning it first.

However such a conversation will wait until Mr. Ferris has finished his 'turn'. Talking during a performance is the height of bad manners after all!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz shivers involuntarily. "Is this just supposition, or do you know this?" she asks. "Did you...dream about it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"I'll show you after the gig," Zara said quietly. "It's what you came to see." She swallows the rest of her wine and pours another.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz nods, then notices Tony looking at her and raises an eyebrow of her own.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

As the lights, already quite dim, are lowered in preparation for the concert, and the sun sinks into the Pacific, a uneasy mood fills the gloom of Sospiri. No doubt this is partly due to the disturbing words spoken by the young artist, but there are other factors at work. A peculiar mist, barely visible in the darkness, drifts through the room. Perhaps this is no more than a miasma of tobacco and marijuana smoke; perhaps.

Liz:
Spoiler:
Your experience with the paranormal alerts you that there is something unnatural about this mist. Because you are Marked by the Supernatural, it will take notice of you, if it is conscious. Your Obsession with Mysteries compels you to investigate it, as well as what may be a series of killings, if Zara is truly gifted with foresight.
Zara:
Spoiler:
You know that the mist is a manifestation of your Dark Patron and/or Nemesis. I will allow you to describe this in whatever manner you see fit, to determine why it has appeared at this time, and how much of this to reveal to your fellows.
Bill:
Spoiler:
Your Obsession directs your attention to the mist. Could this be something associated with the tragedy of your past? Could it have something to do with your Nemesis? You may choose to concentrate on the mist, using your knowledge and experience to see if you can learn anything about its nature; this would be making a saving roll against INT with the + 1 bonus for Demonology. If you choose to do this, you cannot take any other action while thinking about the problem (although you could play music, if only in a distracted manner.)
Jack:
Spoiler:
The mist means nothing to you. However, when the lights went down, a man casually left an empty cigarette packet on your table. You recognize this as a message from headquarters. In code, it tells you that your Criminal Nemesis is in the vicinity, and is likely to be after you, since you Attract Trouble.
I will allow you to determine what this person is like; Agent for a Foreign Power, somebody with a personal grudge, or whatever seems most appropriate.
Lew:
Spoiler:
The mist means nothing to you. However, your distrust of authority and experience with the way the law operates tells you that the police are hiding something. Your sense of justice compels you to seek out the truth.
Tony:
Spoiler:
The mist means nothing to you. However, just as the lights went down, you caught a glimpse of what you are sure is your Criminal Nemesis, in disguise, just before he/she hurried out the door. (This comes with the Investigator class as a Weakness.) Since you Attract Trouble, this person definitely is up to no good. I will allow you to design your own Nemesis; Jewel Thief, Dope Smuggler, or whatever you might think appropriate.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This mist is unnatural," Liz whispers to Zara. She examines it carefully, collecting a sample of it in a small vial and sealing it with a stopper. She then looks around and tries to determine its source.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Victoria Silverwolf,Unless it would be easier for you otherwise, I imagine the creature as having a physical existence in the world rather than being a ghost or spirit - it wants Zara to be its alone - it thinks someone like Liz, who may understand her gift, may be a threat to its hold over her - plus Bill may be a threat to [i]it[/i]. All Zara knows is that is has ways to reach out to her mind, dreams, and senses - and that it's angry with her. That everyone can apparently see the mist this time is a new and frightening development. Bill could probably sense it's connected to her in some way if you haven't already decided that.
Zara whispers something under her breath. Anyone able to filter out the music to hear her... (ETA Liz presumably can if she's leaned in close enough to say something to her).
will hear:,"[color=#004000]Please,not here. They just want to buy paintings. You don't need to do anything. Please, leave me alone."[/color]
She downs the rest of her current drink, as if trying to blot something out.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Zara:
Spoiler:
Sounds good.
Liz:
Spoiler:
INT = 14 + 1 Esoteric Knowledge + 1 Scientific Knowledge (this is sort of both) = 16[dice]0[/dice]A quick examination of the sample reveals that it is some form of ectoplasm, although not of the usual kind.
It is not itself conscious, but rather a sensory extension, of sorts, of a conscious being. A very rough and misleading analogy might be to a human being using a telephone.

You hear Zara speak very softly to, or through, the mist.

"Please,not here. They just want to buy paintings. You don't need to do anything. Please, leave me alone."
Bill:
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]1[/dice] You see Zara whisper but can't hear her.
Jack:
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]2[/dice] You see Zara whisper but your listening device doesn't pick up her words.
Lew:
Spoiler:
WIS = 10[dice]3[/dice] Because you are in a state of high alertness, due to your suspicion of the police, you can hear Zara whisper, as if to herself.
"Please,not here. They just want to buy paintings. You don't need to do anything. Please, leave me alone."
Tony:
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]4[/dice] A good amateur detective always needs to stay alert. You hear Zara whisper, as if to herself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Spoiler:
"You have seen this before," Liz whispers to Zara. "Can it hear you? Is it dangerous? I may be able to protect you, at least for a time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Zara:
Spoiler:
Liz says, for you to hear only:

"You have seen this before. Can it hear you? Is it dangerous? I may be able to protect you, at least for a time."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Liz & Victoria Silverwolf,"[color=#004000]It won't hurt me[/color]," Zara whispers back. "[color=#004000]But if you can protect yourself, you should[/color]."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew glances around the room to see if he can spot the object of Zara's concern.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Bill Ferris takes the stage, and launches into a moody, meandering track, made up of chiming mandolin tunes and long vocal howls. Then the lyrics come in: about forlorn lovers, and a knight lost in the forest, and a deep, dark lake... Then he notices the mist. First he thinks somebody kicked in a smoke machine. But no - this is nothing like that.

He starts playing a repetitive pattern on his mandolin, while thumping out the rhythm with his feet. His vocal microphone picks up the thumps, and amplifies them into a hypnotic beat.

While in this trance-like loop, he directs his attention towards the mist.

Intelligence 9 + 1 = 10
[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Starspawn338 wrote: Lew glances around the room to see if he can spot the object of Zara's concern.
Spoiler:
WIS = 10[dice]0[/dice]

Lew notices that Zara and Liz are paying more attention to the mist than would seem warranted by something which is not unusual for a smoke-filled room.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

evil_scientist wrote:Bill Ferris takes the stage, and launches into a moody, meandering track, made up of chiming mandolin tunes and long vocal howls. Then the lyrics come in: about forlorn lovers, and a knight lost in the forest, and a deep, dark lake... Then he notices the mist. First he thinks somebody kicked in a smoke machine. But no - this is nothing like that.

He starts playing a repetitive pattern on his mandolin, while thumping out the rhythm with his feet. His vocal microphone picks up the thumps, and amplifies them into a hypnotic beat.

While in this trance-like loop, he directs his attention towards the mist.
Spoiler:
Intelligence 9 + 1 = 10
[dice]215856:0[/dice]

Bill's experience with the unnatural tells him that the mist is not itself a supernatural entity, but rather a means of communication from such a being and a human being, apparently Zara.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Carson glances around uneasily and tries to focus on Zara James through the music and smoke; clearly the artist has some insider criminal information on this killer.
Vicki,Let's say a Russian spy for the Criminal Nemesis, a femme fatale he tangled with in the Cold War.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Tony mentally files away Zara's strange utterances for later investigation. Of far greater importance was the appearance, albeit in disguise, of Natasha Bolowski, KGB agent and international jewel thief!

Responsible for the theft of the fabled Patchpole Diamond - an act which nearly bankrupted his family and propped up the Soviet Union financially for several years - he had last seen his beautiful nemesis being slapped in cuffs by the Swedish police. What the deuce was she doing here?

Mumbling apologies to his companions, he made his way through the swaying crowd and fuggy atmosphere and headed after the woman. As Ferris' strange music flowed around him, he grasped the door handle of the exit and stepped outside.
Last edited by jp1885 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Bill Ferris

Bill finally resolves the monotonic jam into a crescendo. He seeks out Zara in the audience. He then averts his eyes, and starts his next song - a cover of Donovan's recent hit, "Season of the Witch". While playing, he sometimes looks in Zara's direction, trying to see what's happening.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Jack and Tony:
Spoiler:
By coincidence, you have both selected a female Russian spy as your nemeses. It seems like a good idea to make both of them the same person, which could lead to some interesting complications, if you are both agreeable.
Tony:
Spoiler:
Natasha has the abilities of the Bandit class; + 2 to Dexterity (assuming the base average of 9) = 11; Speed of 10 rather than 9; and + 1 to Dexterity (assume base of 9) = 10 when attempting concealment. Tony cannot, under normal circumstances, outrun her. Let's see if she can hide sufficiently to escape pursuit entirely.[dice]0[/dice]
The infamous spy and thief has enough of a head start to avoid capture by her nemesis. She attempts to conceal herself among the buildings, many dark and unoccupied, of this section of Venice. She is nearly successful; however, Tony catches a glimpse of her leaping into a speedboat, its motor running, waiting for her in the nearest canal. From the direction of her escape, and given the very few remaining canals that are navigable to any degree, it seems as if she is heading west, a direction which would eventually lead to the sea, near where the abandoned Pacific Ocean Park lies.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
DEX = 13 + 3 for Profession of Musician = 16[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the distracting circumstances, Bill's concert is very well received by the small, but enthusiastic audience. One by one most of the crowd drifts away into the night, leaving only those who have, for one reason or another, a special interest in remaining.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”