Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would prefer not to partake of hallucinogenic substances as well," says Liz. "As a scientist, I feel it is important that my observations not be compromised. We are looking for the remains of one Captain William Palliser, a friend of an ancestor of mine in the early 19th century. And I do believe in such things. Believe in them, talk to them, have tea with them..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"I've done acid before," Zara says. "It used to help me see things. I could try some of your stuff if it helps get rid of this guy."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Maximus beams warmly at Zara.

Indeed.. An adventurer amongst them then... Delightful! I was on the team that invented LSD you know.., practically my creation. Hoffman was a worm and would have died a nobody in that blue collar laboratory. If it weren't fop my formuations... for my addition to his work...

Doctor Honeydew temper begins to rise. He slams his closed fist suddenly on the table.

Accident my wrinkled ass! I guided that fool to greatness and now he sits in some Hippie-Hut experimenting with my creations!

Maximus straightens his lab coat collar and shakes off his rising rage.

My apologies.. That is a sensitive subject for me I'm afraid Ms Zara. But Yes, LSD works perfectly well for communicating with known spirits. My servant will certainly be able to track down any spirits dwelling in the church and relay their communications effectively to any amongst us in the proper state of mind. It's all very subjective mind you. Spirits are flakey creatures I find. No scientific method in the afterlife I always say.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I have my own ways of communicating with the spirits," says Liz. "Sometimes, the spirits initiate the communications. That's what happened with Captain Palliser. He visited us in our dreams. Through lucid dreaming, we were able to direct the conversation and recall it afterwards. And, in my case at least, have tea with him. We visited a spiritualist the next day who turned out to be a fraud, but the late captain was able to possess her temporarily to speak to us in the waking world. He's the one who directed us to you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

By automobile, it takes something over an hour to travel from Venice to the old Spanish mission at San Juan Capistrano; a little longer, if one chooses to follow the coast, for a more scenic journey.

Upon arrival, the investigators discover a few late season tourists wandering the Plaza,which is the nearest part of the Mission to the extensive parking lot. There are vending machines, much like gumball machines, from which one may purchase a small handful of birdseed for a penny. By this time of year, however, the famous swallows are mostly gone, and the area is populated by fat, lazy pigeons. Among the visitors are a group of Japanese businessmen, talking in animated fashion and taking many photographs.

Having shown interest in the Soldier's Bell, the party approaches it. It proves to be of no great size, greatly rusted with time, and, if one taps it, producing a leaden sound. Located as it is near the old Guard House -- now, like much of the Mission, mostly in ruins, due to the large earthquake that struck the region in the early 19th century -- no doubt it was used to summon the small number of soldiers stationed at the Mission during the colonial period, in case of attack by brigands.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Tony pokes the ground around the base of the bell.

"I guess if we're going to do something, this is the place to do it."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara gets out her pad and pencil. "I guess I sit down somewhere and see if anything comes to me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Captain Palliser did mention that you had a nostrum that can reveal the unseen, Dr. Honeydew," Liz tells him. "Now might be the time to break it out."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Tony pokes the ground around the base of the bell.

"I guess if we're going to do something, this is the place to do it."
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Digging around in the dirt does not reveal anything interesting.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Zara gets out her pad and pencil. "I guess I sit down somewhere and see if anything comes to me."
Spoiler:
wis = 11 + Artistry 1 + Percpetion 1 = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Perhaps due to an aftereffect of the experience in Doctor Honeydew's theater, Zara feels particularly uninspired, and produces nothing but a few scribbles.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Captain Palliser did mention that you had a nostrum that can reveal the unseen, Dr. Honeydew," Liz tells him. "Now might be the time to break it out."

While waiting for the eccentric scientist to respond, Liz can't help noticing an argument, in Japanese, breaking out among the men in business suits. It is conducted more in intense whispers than in shouting, but there is definitely some disagreement among them.
Spoiler:
Int = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Having conducted parapsychological research all over the world, she knows enough conversational Japanese to pick up the gist of the argument. In simplified form, it boils down to something like this:

-- This is not the right place. The signs are not favorable. --
-- Nonsense! Would you end the project now? The consequences for your career would be most undesirable. --
-- I understand, but not here and not now. We should wait. --
--There is little time. --

The discussion continues in this manner, without reaching any particular conclusion.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Well Doctor Honeydew, it looks like it's up to you and your concoctions," Tony harrumphs, Wiping the dust of his shoes.
Roll to spot the Japanese (Wisdom 11?),[dice]0[/dice]
Spotting the Japanese businessmen, he raises an eyebrow.

"But let's be discreet about it, eh?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Curious about what the Japanese men are discussing, and also wanting to keep them distracted from what the others are doing, Liz approaches them and bows. "Sumimasen," she says in Japanese. "Konichiwa. Watashi wa Norotu-sensei desu."
OOC,Translation: Excuse me. Good day. I am Dr. North.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The youngest of the Japanese men replies in excellent English, far better than is usually heard in the United States.

"Good day, Doctor," he says with a smile. He offers his hand, in the western style of greeting. "I am Akira Nakamura. You speak my language very well. My colleagues and I are greatly enjoying our tour of this quaint structure. I trust you and your friends also find it interesting?"

Having noticed that Liz understands what they are saying, the other men grow quiet, offering only simple greetings in Japanese.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, very interesting," says Liz, shaking his hand. "Thank you. Most people don't come here at this time of year now that the swallows have flown south, so it's good to see someone else. What brings you here?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

While Liz distracts the Japanese businessman, Tony motions to the others.

"Zara, Dr. Honeydew, maybe you should prepare for, er, whatever it is you intend to do."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"What even is a nostrum?" Lew asks. He will walk around the bell to see if there is anything odd he notices about it.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Yes, very interesting," says Liz, shaking his hand. "Thank you. Most people don't come here at this time of year now that the swallows have flown south, so it's good to see someone else. What brings you here?"
After glancing at the others for a moment, and exchanging a slight nod with the eldest, a white-haired gentleman to whom the others obviously look with respect, Mister Nakamura replies.

"Nothing very exciting, I'm afraid. Dull matters of business, you see. We were just discussing whether to invest in some nearby property which is for sale, in order to establish an American base of operations."

He hands Liz a business card, finely engraved on thick white paper, with his name and the words TAKARA ELECTRONICS.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Starspawn338 wrote:Image
"What even is a nostrum?" Lew asks. He will walk around the bell to see if there is anything odd he notices about it.
Spoiler:
WIS = 10[dice]0[/dice] Hmm. Right on the border, so maybe a very slight hint . . .
Although Lew does not discover anything very notable about the Soldier's Bell, he does notice that the entire Plaza, which is very dusty, is covered with multiple footprints, as if several people have been exploring the area in detail quite recently.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Nada," Zara says, putting her pad away. While Dr Honeydew prepares the "potation" as he called it, she looks around for somewhere she can take it without attracting too much attention.

Overhearing Lew's mention of a nostrum, she says, "I think he means the drug."

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”