VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
The Russian's DEX = 9[dice]0[/dice]
The Russian proves to be a skilled, if taciturn, oarsman, and the journey to the middle of Lake Elsinore and back proceeds without incident. From what is overheard (and understood) of the conversation between the two Russians, they think this was "looking for the wind in the field" (i.e. a waste of time); probably some kind of test of their capacity as agents in the outside world. In any case, they contact headquarters by radio and wait for the helicopter to arrive.

Back at the Channel Islands facility, after enough days have passed for Zara to fully recover from the attack by the mountain lion (an incident which wins her the admiration of Natasha Bolowski, over many glasses of vodka), the news arrives that Takara Electronics has opened its Southern California facility. The grand opening ceremony earns a few seconds of "human interest" time on the local news stations, broadcasts of which are received at the Russian facility. The ceremony involved typical examples of the kind of thing that Americans expect from Japanese culture; pretty young women in traditional costumes, the dedication of a rock and sand garden, and so forth.

Bolowski announces that Takara Electronics is also eager to hire several employees from the local labor pool; everything from maintenance workers and secretaries to research scientists.

"It is unfortunate that no one among my agents is perfectly fluent in English," she explains. "Our accents vould give us away; Takara is suspicious of the Soviet people, who knows vy. For whatever reason, he seems to prefer Americans, when he cannot hire people of his own nationality. Typical capitalist.

"You, on the other hand, might be able to infiltrate the facility with ease. Or perhaps some of you might prefer to assist us in other vays."

If there is a trace of threat in her words, it is a subtle one.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Farewell, Captain Palliser," says Liz to the skull. "May you rest in peace." She turns to Tony. "Given his reputation, I'm surprised he didn't flirt with me and Zara more. I suppose death changes one's priorities."
"Quite. I for one am happy that he's left the flirting to the living." Tony muses as Zara and the Russian row back to the shore. "I just hope he shows a little gratitude to our artist friend for laying him to rest."

At the Russian base, Tony does his best to make himself comfortable, chatting amiably with his hosts and flirting with any female operatives (with the exception of Natasha: she being wise to his ways and indeed he to hers). He remains on friendly terms with Liz, but keen students of human behaviour may note that, since the camping incident, his attentiveness lacks it's previous spark.

"I'm hardly suited to manual labour, so perhaps I could find employment in their sales team?" he suggests when the subject of infiltrating Takara Electronics is raised.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz is disappointed that Tony is paying so much attention to other women, and she doubts that he can commit himself to just one. She realizes that in this he has much in common with William Palliser. "A couple of us are Brits, but they shouldn't mind that," she says. "Research scientist sounds right up my alley. While I can type sixty words per minute and make a bloody good cup of tea, my talents would be wasted as a secretary. As a scientist, I can get direct access to more of their secret information."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"Typing for me, I guess, unless they need someone to draw ad posters," Zara says.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Having thus volunteered their services, the investigators are taken back to the mainland, to undergo the ordeal known as a job interview. It turns out that Takara Electronics has hired an employment agency to take care of that chore, so the prospective employees do not yet meet any of the directors of the company. After filling out the usual tedious applications, possibly with the aid of cover stories and documentation provided by the helpful Russians, if needed, each one is interviewed by an employee of the agency, supposedly expert in the area of work applied for.
Spoiler:
Tony going for sales. CHA = 13 + 3 for Well spoken = 16[dice]0[/dice]
Maybe the interviewer is just in a bad mood, but despite Tony's obvious charm and skill with the English language, she doesn't seem to think he's right for sales. She does suggest another option, however.
Spoiler:
cha = 13 without the above bonus[dice]1[/dice]
Calling in another interviewer, this time things go a lot better.

"I think you'd work out as a spokesperson at trade shows and stuff. Model for magazine ads, junk like that. Good lookin' guy like you, and the English accent gives it a touch of class."

The position gives Tony access to the advertising department, if only as a living mannequin. He's shown around the place, where a modest staff is under the direction of a fellow named Draper, fresh from Madison Avenue. A few overheard comments suggest the man left New York under unusual circumstances, not specified.
Spoiler:
Liz applying for research INT =14 + 1 Academic Credentials + 1 Scientific Knowledge = 16[dice]2[/dice]
Meanwhile, Liz easily impresses the interviewer with her scientific qualifications. She wins an important position as a research assistant to Takara Electronic's premier American scientific expert, Professor Roy Hinkley. It's obvious at once that he's a genius, with multiple degrees and an ability to invent remarkable devices from simple components. There's also a bit of mystery to the man, as he is said to have been lost at sea for several years, an experience he refuses to discuss.
Spoiler:
Zara applying for secretarial work: dex = 13 + 3 for Beautiful (this is the 1960's . . .) = 16[dice]3[/dice] I'll call that a borderline success, for certain reasons of my own.
Barely passing a standard typing test, but earning the interest of the (male) interviewer, Zara scrapes by and is offered a position as a trainee secretary. At the typing pool, Zara is shown the ropes by the head of the secretarial pool.

"We've got two openings, honey," she explains. "There's the advertising department, which is a good way to climb the corporate ladder. But I gotta tell ya, the guy in charge is a real wolf. Then there's the research department. Boring work, and no chance for better pay, but I don't think the big boss there even knows what a girl is. Take your pick."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony is happy (and, truth be told, rather relieved) with his given role. Always something of a poseur, he takes to the job with relish. He also takes great pains to ingratiate himself with the rest of the team, especially Mr. Draper. The fellow is also the subject of a number of discrete calls of inquiry made to certain friends in the intelligence community, particularly in New York.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"We've got two openings, honey," she explains. "There's the advertising department, which is a good way to climb the corporate ladder. But I gotta tell ya, the guy in charge is a real wolf. Then there's the research department. Boring work, and no chance for better pay, but I don't think the big boss there even knows what a girl is. Take your pick."

Zara figures that research is where what the Russians are looking for is most likely to be. "Thanks for the heads-up - I'll go with research, I've had enough wolves in my life lately."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz eagerly dives into the work, making herself indispensable. She finds Professor Hinkley fascinating, and while he does not seem to be interested in her romantically, she is friendly toward him and is pleased if he admires her intellect. She makes herself useful, though he clearly is capable of managing without her. All he really needs is someone to make the tea and tell him how brilliant he is. She is curious about his experiences being lost at sea, but she doesn't press him when he doesn't want to discuss it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Tony is happy (and, truth be told, rather relieved) with his given role. Always something of a poseur, he takes to the job with relish. He also takes great pains to ingratiate himself with the rest of the team, especially Mr. Draper. The fellow is also the subject of a number of discrete calls of inquiry made to certain friends in the intelligence community, particularly in New York.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 Detect Lies = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Through certain connections with Madison Avenue, as well as his ability to see through most prevarications, Tony is able to discover that "Don Draper" is an assumed identity, although the details of who he might really be, and why he's using a false name, remain unknown. He also finds out that he has a reputation as a womanizer and a heavy drinker, possibly explaining the reason he left a major ad agency in New York, started his own company with little success, and wound up working for Takara Electronics in a much less lucrative position. He's also going through a divorce. His soon-to-be-ex-wife is an aspiring actress, which may be one reason he's in the general area of Los Angeles.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz eagerly dives into the work, making herself indispensable. She finds Professor Hinkley fascinating, and while he does not seem to be interested in her romantically, she is friendly toward him and is pleased if he admires her intellect. She makes herself useful, though he clearly is capable of managing without her. All he really needs is someone to make the tea and tell him how brilliant he is. She is curious about his experiences being lost at sea, but she doesn't press him when he doesn't want to discuss it.
After a few days, the Professor realizes that Doctor North is his most valuable assistant. "You remind me of an actress I once knew, " he muses one day, in an unusually open moment, "but she hardly had the same intellectual capability. Well, enough of that. Tell me, would you be at all interested in an experiment I'm working on involving gravitic wavicles? Takara allows me to do my own research during spare moments, and I think the results could be intriguing."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Zara figures that research is where what the Russians are looking for is most likely to be. "Thanks for the heads-up - I'll go with research, I've had enough wolves in my life lately."
After a few days of getting oriented to the research department, which mostly consists of making coffee and taking phone messages for the eggheads, Zara is approached by the Professor, who hands her a sheaf of handwritten notes.

"Need these typed up," he says absently. He then walks away, apparently thinking about something else.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony wonders if getting the inside scoop on Draper is somewhat tangential to the task in hand, but if he can gain some leverage over him then perhaps he can use that to access more sensitive locations within the business.

With that in mind he pursues a two-pronged strategy:-

By day he follows his boss’ lead in pursuing his female colleagues, in the hope that Draper will see him as a kindred spirit. (One might speculate that he is also compensating for the realisation that, while he truly loves the delectable Liz in his own way, he cannot give her the stable and honest relationship she desires, and indeed deserves).

By night he will continue to make discreet enquiries, looking up his boss’ soon to be ex-wife in an attempt to find out the chap’s real name.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

While Lew is too old to go back to work and has no desire to do so even for an undercover job, he will offer his services to Takara as an attorney in the event they need a consultant to help them negotiate the U.S. bureaucracies or apply for any patents.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Professor," says Liz with a smile. "I'd be delighted and honoured. I've long been fascinated by the dual nature of light, with properties of both waves and particles. It would be interesting to see if gravity behaves in the same manner. One thing that's always puzzled me about gravitation is that its effects are propagated faster than light. My hypothesis is that gravity actually warps the fabric of space itself, like two people holding a sheet out between them with a heavy object on its centre would cause it to form a dip."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Tony wonders if getting the inside scoop on Draper is somewhat tangential to the task in hand, but if he can gain some leverage over him then perhaps he can use that to access more sensitive locations within the business.

With that in mind he pursues a two-pronged strategy:-

By day he follows his boss’ lead in pursuing his female colleagues, in the hope that Draper will see him as a kindred spirit. (One might speculate that he is also compensating for the realisation that, while he truly loves the delectable Liz in his own way, he cannot give her the stable and honest relationship she desires, and indeed deserves).

By night he will continue to make discreet enquiries, looking up his boss’ soon to be ex-wife in an attempt to find out the chap’s real name.
A new promotional campaign for a transistor radio manufactured by Takara Electronics, which has an unusually large range for such a small receiver, involves magazine ads showing Tony, dressed to the nines in yachtsman's gear, standing on the beach, surrounded by a bevy of bikini-clad young women, all of them apparently fascinated by his radio. During the long and exhausting photo session, Draper, who has a certain animal charm, manages to convince a couple of the models to go out for drinks with Tony and he after hours. Quickly under the influence of a few scotch-and-sodas, he becomes a happy drunk, and treats Tony like his long-lost buddy, when he's not trying to chap up the models.

Prior to this time, discrete inquiries establish the fact that, as far as she knows, his wife is truly Mrs. Draper, although she is not particularly happy about that fact.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Starspawn338 wrote: While Lew is too old to go back to work and has no desire to do so even for an undercover job, he will offer his services to Takara as an attorney in the event they need a consultant to help them negotiate the U.S. bureaucracies or apply for any patents.
The company, like most large corporations, needs a lot of legal advice. The aerospace division of Takara Electronics asks Lew if he could provide current information on the status of international space law. In particular, what the latest thinking might be on whether an object located in space -- oh, say, a near-Earth asteroid -- could be claimed as property by someone who lands on it. Purely a matter of speculation, of course.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Thank you, Professor," says Liz with a smile. "I'd be delighted and honoured. I've long been fascinated by the dual nature of light, with properties of both waves and particles. It would be interesting to see if gravity behaves in the same manner. One thing that's always puzzled me about gravitation is that its effects are propagated faster than light. My hypothesis is that gravity actually warps the fabric of space itself, like two people holding a sheet out between them with a heavy object on its centre would cause it to form a dip."
"Excellent. Let me take care of a few matters of security, and we'll head for the laboratory."

This turns out to take a day or so. Eventually, the Professor leads Liz past a pair of armed security guards to an unmarked door, deep within Takara Electornics' facility. He places his hand on the metal door, and advise Liz to do the same. It responds by passing a beam of white light over each of them, emerging from a tiny glass knob above the door.

"Genetic identification," he explains. "My own invention."

The door opens of its own occur, and closes when both have entered. Within are a pair of radiation suits. Just beyond is another door, this one bearing a large sign reading DANGER in huge red letters. It also has what looks like a typewriter keyboard attached to it.

"If you're ready, suit up and I'll enter the password." He proceeds to put on the radiation suit, which looks a lot like the kind of thing the NASA astronauts use in outer space.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Hair coiffured and moustache waxed, Tony is in his element; so much so that the idea of dropping his chosen profession for that of the heady world of international modelling is considered more than once. However the thought of abandoning his friends (not to mention earning the ire of the Russians) repeatedly brings him back to Earth.

Thus, while enjoying an evening out with Draper and the two glamorous models, he takes pains to moderate his alcohol intake. When their two companions disappear to powder their noses, he leans across and jovially elbows his boss.

“Spiffing night eh Don? Another bottle of bubbly and we’ll have those two fillies nicely on the boil, what? So, tell me about yourself - what brings you to Takara Electronics?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara secretes some carbon paper into the typewriter while doing the typing, hiding the copy away in her bag to show Liz later.

On breaks she chats the other typists, saying this is a better place to work than her last job.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew doesn't have to do much research on this as he has always been interested in the intersection of law and science and technology.
"It just so happens that the United Nations passed the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 in January of this year. It states that any nation is free to conduct experiments but no nation can establish sovereignty over any celestial bodies, which would include asteroids."

Lew will cite the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (https://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/ ... reaty.html)
and provide a copy of the treaty to Takara. (https://history.nasa.gov/1967treaty.html)
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”