Page 1 of 1

Track Four: Light My Fire

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once away from the dangers of the abandoned park, the adventurers and the police officers notice that a large group of people has gathered just outside. Somewhere around one hundred folks, mostly young, many carrying placards, surround a speaker standing on a platform hastily assembled from cardboard boxes and lumber. As the party approaches cautiously (there being no other way to exit the park, and keep away from the slow but steady creatures after them), they can make out some of the chants, which tend to overlap each other and echo off the park's buildings.

Hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?

Hell, no, we won't go!

Up against the wall, . . .

The person standing on the platform raises his hands for silence. Amazingly, this happens almost at once, as the crowd listens intently. The speaker is a young man dressed in the robes of an Indian mystic. Judging by his waist-length curly blond hair, suntanned skin, and blazing blue eyes, however, he is hardly of that ethnicity.

"Brothers and sisters," he shouts, without the aid of a megaphone. "No longer will we suffer under the Man!"

Cries of encouragement come from the audience.

"The Revolution is here, and we got the Power, baby!"

As the crowd cheers, the man points one hand up towards the sky, at about a forty-five degree angle, and shouts something unintelligible. A sphere of flame about the size of a baseball emerges from his hand and flies off at great speed, soon lost to sight, apparently destined to land somewhere in the city.

Re: Track Four: Light My Fire

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:07 am
by SunlessNick

"How is he..." Zara's voice trails off - she is clearly gobsmaked at the spectacle. She's also visibly starting to flag as her adrenaline drains

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:07 am
by jp1885

"Good Lord..."

Tony is somewhat taken aback by the spectacle, but quickly pulls himself together.

"Some kind of flame thrower perhaps? In any case, let's not forget what is following behind us. We may have to warn the crowd."

Seeing Zara beginning to flag, he offers her his arm.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm
by SunlessNick

She takes it with a smile of gratitude.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Meanwhile, Liz has been discharged from the hospital in stable condition. Moonflower is a bit weaker, but is released under the care of Liz, there being no other friends or relatives available at the moment. It's obvious that the emergency room staff is eager to clear as many beds as possible, as burn cases continue to show up. If asked about her experiences underground, Moonflower only responds "Bummer. Bummer." She is otherwise in a fairly passive state of mind, willing to accompany Liz as she pleases.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

By this time a squad of Los Angeles police officers in riot gear show up. One in full body armor announces over a megaphone "You have five minutes to disperse. Five minutes."

The crowd responds with angry shouts, but is not yet ready to take on the cops directly. It can be seen that the cops are ready with clubs and tear gas.

By now, the four skeletal figures in robes emerge. With everything that is going on, not much notice is taken of them. The young man addressing the crowd, however, is aware of their arrival.

"The pigs think they can scare us off with their dirty tricks! No way!

BURN, BABY, BURN!"

He raises both arms and screams inarticulately. Four fireballs emerge from his hands and fly towards the skeletons. The creatures burst into flame and are quickly reduced to ashes.

After this effort, the man collapses. A group of young people near him pick him up and lead him to a dune buggy parked close by. They pull out with a squeal of tires and make their way away from the crowd.

"Nice fireworks," the cop announces. "Now just go home like good little girls and boys. One minute, and then we start spraying."

The crowd does not seem eager to leave.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:20 am
by SunlessNick

"Let's get out of here," Zara suggests. "That guy's got rid of the skeletons, and I've been in enough fights today."

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:13 am
by jp1885

"Not a bad idea Zara, although perhaps Agent Carson would like to call in a team to clear up those tunnels? I'd sleep better knowing that there are no more of those liquid things and the Embalmer's gear is cleaned out. We also have his remains to analyse, not to mention that coded sheet left by our Soviet comrades."

He cranes his neck to see what's happening to the crowd.

"I'm also intrigued by our flame flinging friend..."

Wary of getting involved in the inevitable clash between the protesters and the police, he attempts to catch the eye of someone on the periphery of the mob, hoping to draw them away and engage them in conversation.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz contacts the others on the radio. "Moonflower and I just got discharged from hospital," she says. "Where are you? We can come meet you."

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:13 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew steps forward and using his best trial projection speaking voice, calls out to the crowd.

"There's no reason to stay here. The speaker whom you came to see has already wisely left the scene. To stay now would only cause problems between you and the police. There is no reason for a confrontation. Please disburse quickly before anything happens."
OOC,Intelligence Roll 16 (+3 for Well Spoken) 19 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:34 am
by SunlessNick

Zara lets Liz know where they are.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:44 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew steps forward and using his best trial projection speaking voice, calls out to the crowd.

"There's no reason to stay here. The speaker whom you came to see has already wisely left the scene. To stay now would only cause problems between you and the police. There is no reason for a confrontation. Please disburse quickly before anything happens."
OOC,Intelligence Roll 16 (+3 for Well Spoken) 19 [dice]220381:0[/dice]
Spoiler:
I think this would be more of a CHA roll, which would be 11 + 3 for Trusted by Bohemians = 14, so it succeeds anyway.
There is some muttering among the assembled protesters, more than a few of whom have been kept out of jail by Lew's defense. A member of the Black Panther Party tells his companions that Lew is a true "soul brother," and word passes through the crowd to "play it cool."

There's some exchange of insults between the protesters and the police, but no violence, thanks to Lew's quick thinking.

As the crowd disperses, one bearded, long-haired, heavily beaded, sunglasses-wearing, flower-covered man comes up to Carson and hands him an anti-war pamphlet. Certain letters have been underlined in pencil, in a way that only someone trained in codes and ciphers would understand.
Spoiler:
Looks like you blew your cover, buddy. The Company wants you to enlist these freaks and weirdos you're hanging around with to investigate the rabble-rouser with the pyrotechnics. We think he's got some kind of hippie commune out in the desert. Good luck, Jack.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm
by jp1885

With Lew's sensible entreaty calming the situation and dispersing the crowd, Tony abandons his attempt to speak to a protester and rejoins the others.

"How odd. Perhaps we should meet up with Liz and Moonflower; maybe at a nearby cafe? I must confess to feeling rather hungry."

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:15 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara looks down at their sewage-caked wetsuits and overalls. "I don't think a cafe's going to let us in like this. Meet at the Sospiri in a couple of hours after we get cleaned up? They do pretty good food."
Victoria Silerwolf,Assuming this plan meets with approval,Zara will go home and wash herself in the bath - and swallow down a couple of glasses of gin - the wetsuit she'll leave in the bath in the hopes of cleaning it, the minidress goes into the trash.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz picks up her Aston Martin and stops back at her hotel room with Moonflower to change into a little black dress. She'll lend an outfit to Moonflower if they're close enough in size. She then brings Moonflower to the Sospiri after Zara lets her know they're heading there.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 am
by jp1885

Tony looks down at his own sodden overalls; perhaps a scrub-up and a moustache waxing is in order before tiffin.

He will meet up with the others once he is suitably attired and coiffured.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:42 am
by Rooter
At the Sospiri:

Carson addresses the group. "Well, it looks like y'all have a chance to convince my bosses that you aren't a threat to the fabric of American society, even the limeys. Since the cops don't seem to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, we want you to help investigate this rabble-rouser with the pyrotechnics. We believe he has some kind of base, a hippie commune, out in the desert."

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:48 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
No doubt pleased to be able to kick back and relax for a while, the adventurers spend some time eating and drinking at Sospiri. Some of those present may not be entirely familiar with California cuisine, but Moonflower seems to be enjoying her vegetarian nutburger with avocado and sprouts. It's probably a good thing that she remembers almost nothing about her recent experiences.

"Must have got some bad acid," she remarks casually. "I'll stick to weed from now on. It's, like, organic, you know?"

Under the influence of more than a little gin, Zara idly sketches with paper and pencil while conversation goes on around her. A radio softly broadcasts the local traffic ("expect bumper-to-bumper conditions on the freeways, as usual"), weather ("Santa Ana winds will be howling through mid-October, bringing extremely dry conditions and temperatures up to one hundred degrees"), and news ("the fires plaguing Venice are under control, the Fire Marshall says, with windy conditions blamed for the outbreak"). She produces a drawing of a man in what appears to be a British military uniform of the Napoleonic Era.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:27 pm
by jp1885

Tony inspects the fare laid before him, wondering if they at least have any decent mustard. He mulls over Carson's request for assistance.

"While I hardly consider myself 'the man', I am intrigued by this flame-flinging fellow, especially if he's the cause of these fires we're hearing about. If your orginisation is happy to share what they've discovered down in the tunnels and the contents of Bolowski's coded message, then in return I shall be happy to return the favour by helping you out.

He stops, noticing the sketch Zara has drawn.

"Someone you know m'dear?"

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara appears at the Sospiri wearing a bright rainbow-coloured dress, a little longer than she's tended to wear until now.
jp1885 wrote:He stops, noticing the sketch Zara has drawn."Someone you know m'dear?"
"Mm? No, no idea, I was just doodling. You like it?" (If Tony answers in the affirmative, she offers it to him).

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Handsome chap," says Liz, looking at the drawing. "I'll bet he had a way with the ladies." She listens as the others describe the flame-flinging man. "That explains why there were so many burn victims in hospital. He must have some form of pyrokinesis - the ability to create and control fire with one's mind."

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:30 am
by jp1885

Tony happily accepts Zara's gift.

"How very kind. Looks a bit like an ancestor of mine: Colonel Patchpole of the 36th Regiment of Foot. I'd like to say he died bravely in battle, but alas he came a cropper in a bordello en-route to Waterloo."

He grins, carefully putting the sketch into an inside jacket pocket.

"Pyrokenisis Liz? An unsettling theory... If I hadn't just witnessed that craziness beneath the Pee-Oh-Pee, I'd say it was a bonkers theory, but now I'm open to any possibility."

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:52 pm
by SunlessNick

"It looked like he was throwing the fire around willy nilly, like he didn't care who got hurt," Zara says. "I don't feel like proving anything to your bosses Mr Carson, but I'll help."

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"An ancestor of mine had a friend similar to the one in the drawing too," says Liz, "a Captain William Palliser."

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:26 am
by Starspawn338
"I don't know how he was throwing balls of fire around but I am with you in trying to find or stop that man for harming any more innocents. It appears he has a gift for inciting people too. Men like him are dangerous."

Lew continues. "But did you see how he seemed to weaken after he cast all four in succession."

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:27 pm
by jp1885

"That's a very good point Lew. One worth remembering I'll wager."

"Well Liz, if the chap in the drawing does indeed prove to be your ancestor's chum, then you may of course keep the sketch. If of course the artist doesn't mind me giving it away."

"Rumour has it that my mother's side is descended from a wandering gypsy. Don't bring that up in front of her though - deflates her balloon somewhat."

He taps his nose and grins.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:40 pm
by SunlessNick

"A Gypsy? Groovy,"" Zara says. "I don't know if it's anyone, it just came into my head." Despite her words, she frowns slightly at the picture - though she still seems happy enough for either Tony or Liz to have it.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You should keep it, Tony," says Liz. "She gave it to you. I'd just like to take a picture of it. I can't be sure if it looks like my ancestor's friend. I've never seen a portrait of him. I'm only going by the descriptions in my ancestor's writings. There's probably no way to know whether or not it's supposed to be him anyway. It is good to know that excessive use of his abilities weakened our pyrokinetic friend. We'll need to be prepared before we meet him, or even get near him considering how he flings fire around with mad abandon. We'll need fireproof clothes, something lined with asbestos, as well as fire extinguishers and burn ointments."

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:00 pm
by jp1885

"I'm sure my people can get hold of such things Liz - I'll have my man go on a shopping spree and deliver the requisites here. Oh, and by all means snap away."

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:47 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Pyromaniac?" Moonflower muses idly. "Sounds like those folks who got run out of town a while back, the Temple of something or other. Bad scene, man. They used to, like, set fires and worship them or something. Got the locals bent out of shape. I heard they moved somewhere out near Barstow, in the middle of nowhere. Out on Route 66. You know, 'get your kicks'," she finishes, fading off into giggles.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm
by SunlessNick

"Sounds heavy," Zara says in the hope that it will keep Moonflower talking.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:56 pm
by jp1885

"Heavy indeed... Perhaps a little research is in order. Moonflower, can you remember this freaky cat's name?"

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz takes out her camera and photographs the drawing. "That has to be connected," says Liz. "We can have a look at their old temple. Maybe there will be clues there about who they are and what they're planning."

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Moonflower is not the sharpest tool in the shed . . . INT = 7[dice]0[/dice]
"Ummmm . . . I don't remember the dude's name. Maybe something like a light bulb? Or a car? Something freaky, anyway."

Despite this lapse of memory, Moonflower is able to lead the investigators to the place where the fellow's so-called temple was located. It's a fairly short walk away, in one of Venice's many decrepit areas. Obviously abandoned for some time, all that remains is an empty storefront. There's a padlocked door, obviously unused for a while, judging by the rust, and a single, fairly large window, painted black, preventing anyone from seeing inside. Compared to other places in the area, it's unusual that no vandal's rock has broken the window.

In addition to the usual graffiti found in such places, there's an atypical example of that urban art form. The single word BLASFEEMER [sic] in black spray paint on the door.

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz takes a pin out of her hair. "I've never done this before, so I only know how in theory," she says. She fiddles around in the padlock with the pin.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) trying to pick the lock: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:56 am
by jp1885

Tony inspects the graffiti.

"Somebody obviously has strong feelings about this place - if not the grammatical skills to express them..."

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Most likely due to the way it's been worn down by time, the padlock opens. It's a simple matter to pull open the door, which emits a loud creak as it moves. Due to the window being painted black, it's not so easy to see what's inside. The light coming in through the door reveals a mess of scattered and torn papers near the opening. There are also cigarette butts, some obviously hand-rolled, and the melted remains of candles. What lies beyond this remains in darkness, from which can be heard a sort of chittering noise.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could be rats," says Liz. She replaces the pin in her hair, takes out the electric torch she had had from their trip into the sewers, and shines a light inside, keeping her distance from the door.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:20 am
by SunlessNick

"Ew," Zara responds. Nevertheless, she casts her eye around the interior revealed by Liz's flashlight.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:09 am
by Rooter

Carson examines the scattered papers near the opening.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:13 am
by jp1885

"Quite the fixer-upper, what?"

Tony shines his torch around the room, particularly in the direction of the chittering sound.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The twin lights reveal that the place is indeed infested with rats and other vermin. Towards the back of the room is a jumble of broken pieces of wood, as well as a table leaning at an acute angle, due to two of its legs shattered into pieces. Next to the table is what appears to be a fairly large clay pot, lying on the floor on its side, still in one piece. All over the place are small piles of ashes and a large number of burnt matches.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
Carson examines the scattered papers near the opening.
Spoiler:
wis = 11[dice]0[/dice]
The clever government agent is able to quickly pick out several pieces of torn paper that can be put together to form a hand-drawn map. It starts with a dot designated as Barstow, then follows a dotted line to the left marked "about a mile," then continues upward with another dotted line marked "couple of miles," then ends with a large X.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz shines her light into the clay pot to see if there's anything inside.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 pm
by jp1885

Meanwhile, Tony pokes around the table with his stick.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz shines her light into the clay pot to see if there's anything inside.
The vessel is full of a substance resembling pale gray sand. Closer examination reveals nothing else.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Meanwhile, Tony pokes around the table with his stick.
Spoiler:
DEX back to 14 by now[dice]0[/dice]
Skillful use of the stick avoids doing any further damage to the wobbly table, such as having it collapse to the floor, but elicits no further information.

The approach of the investigators causes a number of large rats to scurry about along the walls in an agitated state, their eyes gleaming in the light from the torches. At times they turn to face the intruders, chittering in an angry manner, but do not approach.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Possibly ash," says Liz, collecting a sample for later analysis. "I think we've found everything there is to find here."

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 am
by SunlessNick

"Is that some kind of ash?" Zara asks of the grey powder. She looks alarmed when the rats display their odd behaviour.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:13 am
by Starspawn338
Lew watches from the door. "Anyone find anything of interest?"

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:34 am
by jp1885

"Some papers and a container of ash. Oh, and some rather annoyed rats. I wonder if it's wise to venture in further without antagonising them?"

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 am
by Rooter

"This must be the location of the hippie commune," Carson says, showing the map to the others. "At least now we know where we're going. Let's get outta here."

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:06 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara's certainly happy enough to do that.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:02 pm
by jp1885

Tony is also happy to leave, with maybe a sweep of the walls with his torch first, just in case there's anything of interest.

"I wonder if there's a yard out back?"

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's get out of here," says Liz. "We can check round back once we're outside."

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A quick search of the surrounding area reveals, behind the building, the normal sort of trash-strew alley common in this part of the city. There are a number of feral cats about, digging through garbage cans and hissing at each other, probably drawn to the area by the availability of rats.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"The cats should have better hunting now we've opened the door for them," says Liz. "I think we're done here. Shall we follow the map?"

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am
by jp1885

"Indeed. Let us away."

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
No doubt it will occur to the investigators that some sort of special vehicle, perhaps more than one, will be needed to navigate the desert, as it seems likely that, once leaving Barstow, the roads to their destination will rough, or possibly nonexistent. There is also the question of surviving the desert heat, even in late October. (Highs in the eighties [Fahrenheit], chance of precipitation near zero, high winds possible.)

The drive from Venice to Barstow itself, a distance close to 150 miles, will take a few hours, depending on the number of stops made for gasoline and supplies. (The biggest town along Route 66 after leaving Los Angeles is San Bernadino.)

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll need to prepare before we go out there," says Liz. "It's a desert, and it's going to be bloody hot. We'll need to dress appropriately, and we'll need to bring canteens filled with water. We might be able to rent dune buggies or the like in Barstow to get us there."

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:11 am
by jp1885

"Indeed, there is much preparation to be done. I'm sure I can have some things purchased and no doubt Agent Carson can pull a few strings."

"I would also like to do a little detective work first: see if there are any newspaper articles or police reports about this group. Forewarned is forearmed and all that."

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:58 pm
by Starspawn338
"I am certainly not equipped for an outdoor adventure. Shall we meet at the Sospiri for breakfast tomorrow before we are off?"

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The ever-helpful Big Kahuna can rent the investigators a couple of dune buggies, as long as they're willing to pay through the nose and leave a big deposit. With some crowding, they can all fit into the vehicles, although anything very bulky will probably have to left behind at a Barstow motel after they leave paved roads.

"Try to bring those things back in one piece, OK?"

Asking around, and digging through the morgue at the offices of the Venice Vanguard newspaper, a small weekly, yields a little information about the group. The articles are mostly of the local color type, briefly describing a tiny group of fire worshipers moving into an abandoned building. Despite a few encounters with the fire marshal, they kept to themselves and didn't cause any trouble. They left town when unidentified individuals, apparently objecting to their religious activities, entered the place during one of their ceremonies and trashed the joint. Police failed to track down the vandals.

All of this information is shared among the investigators as they enjoy such things as (frozen) orange juice and (dehydrated) scrambled eggs at Sospiri.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Asbestos-lined clothing would make us awfully hot," says Liz, who gladly put down the large deposit for the dune buggies, "but it could save our lives if that chap starts flinging fire at us. We could always put it on when we get there so that we don't overheat on the way. Weapons might be useful too, if we can get some."

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:49 am
by jp1885

Tony, now attired in the latest in safari suits (pale blue), pokes the scrambled egg with his fork.

"I've left instructions with my man to locate some fireproof clothing and deliver them here. I've no doubt he will rise to occasion admirably. I agree that it's be hard going in the desert wearing such things, but having them to hand will be most useful."

He takes a mouthful of egg, swallowing doubtfully.

"I abhor firearms - too many unsightly bulges," he says through a grimace, "but be all means 'tool-up' as they say in the East End. I've also taken the liberty of ordering a number of portable fire extinguishers."

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Thus prepared, the investigators are nearly ready to set out, some in the dune buggies, some in other vehicles they have available, in order to carry all this equipment.

"Gotta know who's drivin' these babies," the Big Kahuna remarks as he hands over the keys. "Insurance and stuff, you know."

After an uneventful drive through the desert, the convoy arrives at Barstow, a modest town with the facilities one expects. A simple but clean motel provides accommodations for all. The question remains: How to determine where to turn off, as the map, hardly drawn in detail, indicated? There are any number of paths, many hardly visible, leading off into the wilderness, where hikers, horseback riders, and dune buggy enthusiasts have made their way.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:44 pm
by jp1885

Tony will engage the more conservative-looking locals in conversation, asking where the 'hippies and weirdos' all went to. He will explain vaguely how he and his friends are from 'the authorities' and have heeded said local's calls to 'do something about it'.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:52 pm
by SunlessNick

Meanwhile, Zara will cast her artist's eye over the map and the local landmarks to see which trails seem more likely. (She'll also see which of one seem more well trafficked).

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz, now wearing a very short pair of khaki shorts and a white tank top, tries to talk to some of the locals as well, knowing that her charm is her greatest strength.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew is dressed casually for the heat. Since he is a good talker, he will also try to glean information from the locals about how exactly they can locate this cult in the middle of the wilderness. Even though he is a bad liar, he will attempt to convince them that he is looking for his son who has run off and joined the cult.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony will engage the more conservative-looking locals in conversation, asking where the 'hippies and weirdos' all went to. He will explain vaguely how he and his friends are from 'the authorities' and have heeded said local's calls to 'do something about it'.
Spoiler:
CHA = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Clearly impressed by his dress and manners, a group of retired men at a local diner tell Tony what they know.

"'Bout time the gummint did sumthin' about them creeps. Tried to start one of their so-called 'temples' 'til the sheriff run 'em off. Heard tell they high-tailed it up to old Loco Bill's hideout."

Upon further questioning, the location to Loco Bill's hideout -- actually a small but comfortable home built by an eccentric fellow who made his fortune in the borax business many years ago, abandoned upon his demise -- is described.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:51 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Meanwhile, Zara will cast her artist's eye over the map and the local landmarks to see which trails seem more likely. (She'll also see which of one seem more well trafficked).
Spoiler:
INT = 10 + Perception 1 = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Zara's sure eye for detail reveals a vague trail that seems to fit exactly both the story of Loco Bill's hideout and what little can be told from the map; in addition, she is able to tell that it does not get very much traffic at all, but has seen use by a four-wheeled vehicle a day or two ago.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:06 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz, now wearing a very short pair of khaki shorts and a white tank top, tries to talk to some of the locals as well, knowing that her charm is her greatest strength.
Spoiler:
No roll needed with CHA = 17 + Beautiful (3) + Charming (3) = 23
A group of young men hanging around a gas station whistle and shout as Liz walks by.

"Hey there, li'l darlin'," one remarks. "How's about you and me headin' out to the hoedown tonight? Gonna be a fine time. Plenty of Miller High Life and foot-stompin' for sure. You like Buck Owens? He's a pal o' mine."

"Hell, Earl," another remarks, "you're so full of it you could open up a fertilizer factory. Don't pay him no mind, sweetheart. Lady like you needs a real gentleman like me to escort her around."

Somehow, between all this flirting and competing for her attention, Liz is able to elicit the information that, once you've gone exactly 1.2 miles down the trail to Loco Bill's hideout, you need to turn right at "a big ol' cactus that looks like a scarecrow" to get to the place.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:10 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew is dressed casually for the heat. Since he is a good talker, he will also try to glean information from the locals about how exactly they can locate this cult in the middle of the wilderness. Even though he is a bad liar, he will attempt to convince them that he is looking for his son who has run off and joined the cult.
Spoiler:
Cha = 11; well-spoken (+3) and bad liar (-3) cancel each other out; + 3 for bohemians but - 3 for squares, so let's see who listens to him.[dice]0[/dice]
Most of the people in this rather conservative town refuse to listen to Lew's story, figuring it's some kind of con game. However, there's an old desert rat, in town to pick up some supplies, who has been living like a hermit, just him and his mule Sally, in a shack out near a played-out gold mine that provides him with just barely enough income to survive, who is willing to talk.

"I seen this here young fella, him and some other men and a buncha gals, up at Loco Bill's place. Dagnabit, I sure miss old Bill. Only fella worth a plugged buffalo nickel 'round these parts. Anyhoo, they raise a big old hullabaloo just about every night 'round midnight, with a buncha bonfires and all. Wouldn't have nothin' to do with 'em myself. Hope you find your youngun."

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," Liz says to the young men. "I have a prior engagement today, but perhaps another time." She returns to her friends and compares notes with them. "I think we have enough information to find the place now."

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 am
by Rooter

Carson nods. "Good work. I'd like to stake the place out at midnight and see what they're getting up to."

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:15 am
by jp1885

"Capital idea old chap - I don't suppose there's much cover around there during the day. We could drive so far in the dune buggies and then sneak up the rest of the way."

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's the best plan," says Liz. "We may also want to dress like they do, so that we might be able to infiltrate."

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:19 am
by Starspawn338
"Then let's find a cool place to have a pint. Lew says. "We have a bit of time before we need to leave."

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:34 pm
by jp1885

Tony looks aghast at Liz's suggestion.

"You mean feathers, beads and..." he shudders "...tie-dye? If that's the case, then I'll ceratinly join you for a beer Lew!"

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I know, Tony," says Liz. "It goes against every bit of fashion sense I have, but we all have to make sacrifices. I'll join you in that pint too."

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The bartender at the nearest drinking establishment, a place called the Last Roundup, is briefly confused by the requests for pints, but finally figures out that the new arrivals are asking for beers. The selection is limited to common American brands, served ice-cold, in cans or bottles. The place is only half-full, with a jukebox playing country-western music quietly in the corner. The drinkers are mostly older men, with a few younger couples here and there.

It occurs to the investigators that this is the kind of town where the type of clothing they wish to obtain might be difficult to locate, blue jeans, work shirts, and cowboy hats being more common.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara picks out the least conservative looking young couple, and approaches them. "Sorry to barge - is there anywhere in town I could get some cool duds for my guy? It's his birthday, and I want to surprise him when I get home."

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:26 pm
by jp1885

Tony is somewhat relieved at the lack of 'hippie' clothes outlets (though he feels keenly the lack of any establishments that might sell a good claret) and secretly hopes that Zara's quest proves fruitless. He leans over to Liz.

"There might be an alternative y'know. Perhaps we could pose as British journalists, here to report on the new scene? A chap able to conjure up fireballs is sure to interest the press sooner or later. Our chums could be local 'fixers' or somesuch."

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I like that plan," says Liz with a smile.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara picks out the least conservative looking young couple, and approaches them. "Sorry to barge - is there anywhere in town I could get some cool duds for my guy? It's his birthday, and I want to surprise him when I get home."
Zara finds a couple of teenagers sipping Cokes. (They probably aren't even supposed to be in here, but as long as they don't drink alcohol the barkeep looks the other way.) They're dressed in a more mod way than most folks, and the boy's hair is a little longer than usual.

"Not much luck in this hick town," the boy says. "Soon as I graduate I'm splitting for LA."

"There's the Mad Hatter Boutique," the girl adds. "They've got some cool stuff, if you look hard enough." She supplies directions to the place, which isn't far away.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:20 am
by jp1885

Tony grins at Liz.

"Capital! A two-pronged assault then? Zara can pose as a new convert whilst we can pose as journalists; though it might seem suspicious if we all turn up at once. Perhaps we're telling Zara's story: 'from girl-next-door to flower child of fire!' You know, I've always suspected I might have a literary bent."

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:11 am
by SunlessNick

Zara thanks the girl, buys a gin, and heads over to the others. "Sounds good to me," Zara says. "But if I'm walking into another lion's den, I'm definitely getting some other clothes. I like this dress too much to risk it."

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Mad Hatter Boutique is easy to locate, given the gigantic, hand-lettered sign on the display window which reads GOING OUT OF BUZZINESS [sic] SAIL [sic]. EVERTHING [sic] HALF OFF!

The proprietor of the place is a woman of middle years, wearing thick glasses and dressed in a plain, conservative blouse and skirt. Most of the clothing here is of the same kind. However, as the girl indicated, things that might be found in one of the trendier spots on Carnaby Street are also available, in the back of the store, their prices drastically marked down. Evidently this was an experiment that did not go over well.

"Afternoon, folks," the woman says. "May I help you?"

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Some of these outfits are rather mod," comments Liz, checking out the clothing in the back. "We could pick up some real bargains here."

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:57 am
by jp1885

Tony supresses a shudder as he enters the 'boutique', however he too soon recognises that there may be some sartorial gems to be found.

Rooting around the store, he searches for something, a neckerchief or cravat perhaps, that compliments his outfit and marks him out as a man of style, yet sympathetic to the Children of the Revolution. All the better if said accessory bears a flame motif.

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz flips through the racks, looking for a miniskirt and a sleeveless blouse that would go together.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The desired items are found and purchased. Obviously happy to make a sale, the proprietress remarks, "You folks goin' to a costume party?"

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Something like that," says Liz.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:13 am
by Rooter

Carson opts for the blue jeans, work shirt and cowboy hat of a local.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara picks out something similar to the faux-Indian look the fire-thrower was sporting.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm
by jp1885

Tony pays for an orange-red cravat with a suitable flame-motif, pleased at how it sets off his pale blue safari suit.

He waits for the others to make their purchases.

"So what's the plan? Sneak up to the place at night, with cover stories at the ready?"

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:42 pm
by SunlessNick

"If we are playing a new convert and journalists, would we be sneaking?" Zara asks.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The question is a good one. Besides the time of day to set forth on this venture, it also remains to be decided who will drive each one of the dune buggies into the desert via the barely visible trail, and who will ride in each one as passengers.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Liz, who has selected a black miniskirt and a sleeveless blouse that matches the color of her hair, which also resembles flames. "The three of us should go there in the daytime in one of the dune buggies. The others can use the other dune buggy. They might prefer a stealthy approach."

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:30 am
by Starspawn338
Lew will buy some jeans and a work shirt so he doesn't stick out too badly.
"I'm not one for undercover work." He says. "Actually I'm not much for stealth either. I usually just take a direct approach in my investigations. But I'll let you go in and will drive up in the other dune buggy and we'll see what happens."

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 pm
by jp1885

"Okay, let's make sure the script is watertight." Tony chuckles.

"So Liz and I are journalists, doing a story on Zara, who wants to join this mysterious cult. Meanwhile Lew and Agent Carson are following up later to do some sneaking around. Have I got this right?"

"I presume they'll want Zara to stay - maybe Liz and I too, so we might not have chance to meet up later."

"As for the dune buggies - I've done a little off-road driving during my army days, plus the occasional jaunt around my estate in the old Land Rover, so unless anyone else wants to take the wheel, I can drive one."

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"That suits me fine," says Liz. "I'm more comfortable behind the wheel of an actual car myself."

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The first party of three heads out into the desert. It's a bumpy ride over the sand, with frequent dodging of rocks and other obstacles.
Spoiler:
DEX back up to 14 by now[dice]0[/dice] borderline failure
Out of nowhere, a large jackrabbit runs across their path. Startled for a moment, Tony steers sharply out of the way, directly into the scarecrow-shaped cactus that marks the turning point. Everyone aboard is shook up a little, but not hurt. The dune buggy has a small dent, and protests a bit when restarted, but still runs. The cactus is now lying on the ground, its limbs broken off. A group of buildings is visible dead ahead.

Upon arrival at Loco Bill's home, recognizable from the description provided, the investigators find what appears more like a small farm community than a religious center. A few simple buildings have been constructed around the old adobe building. There's a generator visible, a large tank of water that proves to be supplied from a well by an electric pump, a field of crops irrigated by pipes from the tank, and so forth. A large pile of wood, arranged as if ready to be set afire, stands off to one side. Some young men and women are at work here and there, tending to chickens, caring for the crops, repairing a wire fence that surrounds the entire property, and so forth.

Most of the people look up as the dune buggy approaches. One of the older men nears the fence and calls out to the new arrivals. He was cleaning a shotgun as the investigators approached, and holds it dangling open, obviously not ready for use, in one hand as he speaks.

"Yeah?"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:50 am
by SunlessNick

Zara gets out of the dune buggy and walks toward the man, trying to give the impression that she's restraining herself from running. "Is he here? Please tell me this the right place!" she says breathlessly.
OOC:   (She's left her real clothes in the boot of Liz's or Tony's car, whichever we came in)  

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz swings her long legs out of the dune buggy and stands up on them. "Well, there goes our security deposit," she says.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:52 am
by jp1885

"The amount of money we've spent at that place, I'm sure the Big Kahuna won't mind." Tony whispers aside to Liz, before approaching the guy, flipping open a notepad as he does so.

"Hello. Tony Patchpole of the Manchester Evening News. We should be expected, though the expression on your face suggests you haven't had the memo."

He turns to Liz.

"What was the name of our contact? Sunshimmer? Summershine? Shishkebab? I told you she wouldn't be reliable."

He rolls his eyes at the guy.

"Youth of today eh? What you should have been told is that we're doing a piece on this young lady here." He nods at Zara. "Following her footsteps as she goes from suburbia to star-shine, education to enlightenment, drudgery to destiny!" He grins. "Well, you get the general idea. It was supposed to be all arranged, um, Mister...?"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Ash. Just Ash. No titles here, except for the Master. The Master didn't say anything about this." He studies the new arrivals while taking ammunition out of the pockets of his jeans and loading the shotgun, careful to keep it pointed at the ground.

"About to go hunting, if anybody wants to come along." He turns to a young man wearing glasses and a belt full of tools who is working on the wire fence. "Got that thing working yet, Spark?"

"Just about."

"Good. Switch it back on after these folks come in."

Turning back to the visitors, he continues.

"We don't want any trouble, so we take the necessary precautions. Don't mess with that fence.

"The Master is still recuperating after his last public demonstration. Can't be disturbed. You're welcome to look around, talk to folks. We've got nothing to hide."

He introduces a couple of people who are looking on with obvious curiosity; a girl not yet in her teens called Ember and a dark-skinned, muscular woman named Flame.

"There are empty cots in the women's and men's dormitories," he says, pointing out the buildings. "Cold water, stuff to eat. You might want to rest up for the bonfire tonight. The Master is certain to show up for that.

"The Master will want to talk to a prospective member," he goes on, nodding to Zara, "but that's going to have to wait until tomorrow. How much do you know about the Children of Light, anyway?"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers," says Liz. "I'm Liz, by the way. I don't know much about the Children of Light, though I did hear of that demonstration. I'd be chuffed to learn more about you lot."

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:09 am
by jp1885

While Liz introduces herself, Tony watches Spark wire up the electric fence. As a 'journalist', he scribbles in his notepad, making a note of how the thing is wired (to the best of his non-technical ability at least.)

He also makes a mental note to get hold of some wire cutters and insulating tape if at all possible.

When Ember and Flame are introduced, he smiles his best smile.

"Charmed I'm most definitely sure. Rest assured you'll get no trouble from us - we're only here to write a story and only ask to be allowed to observe and make notes. Thank you for having us."

He focuses his attention on Flame (Ember being much too young) - will his suave English charm win her over?

"Flame eh? Fiery by name and by nature I'll wager..."
Charisma 13 +1 seduction,[dice]0[/dice]A fail, unless I can add +3 for well-spoken?

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:39 pm
by Starspawn338
"I suggest that we go before sunset just so we can make sure to follow the tracks. However, since I am not particularly stealthy, I don't want to be sneaking around during the day. Lew says to Carson. "We'll need to get flashlights too."

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:06 am
by SunlessNick

"I saw the demonstration in town," Zara says in response to Ash's question. "It was amazing. I just... have to be part of it."

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
While Liz introduces herself, Tony watches Spark wire up the electric fence. As a 'journalist', he scribbles in his notepad, making a note of how the thing is wired (to the best of his non-technical ability at least.)
Spoiler:
INT = 7[dice]0[/dice]
Luckily, the system used to electrify the fence is one which Tony -- no technical whiz -- has seen before, and is simple enough to be quite understandable.

He also makes a mental note to get hold of some wire cutters and insulating tape if at all possible.
These are not immediately obvious, given the relatively low level of technology displayed about the place. Spark appears to be the only one with the appropriate kind of knowledge about such things.
When Ember and Flame are introduced, he smiles his best smile.

"Charmed I'm most definitely sure. Rest assured you'll get no trouble from us - we're only here to write a story and only ask to be allowed to observe and make notes. Thank you for having us."

He focuses his attention on Flame (Ember being much too young) - will his suave English charm win her over?

"Flame eh? Fiery by name and by nature I'll wager..."
Charisma 13 +1 seduction,[dice]221356:0[/dice]A fail, unless I can add +3 for well-spoken?
Spoiler:
I'll sort of split the difference here.
The woman shows no signs of romantic attraction to Tony, and reacts to his apparent pickup line with a snort, but is willing to talk to him.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: "I suggest that we go before sunset just so we can make sure to follow the tracks. However, since I am not particularly stealthy, I don't want to be sneaking around during the day. Lew says to Carson. "We'll need to get flashlights too."
Spoiler:
Both Lew and Jack have DEX 9, so doesn't matter who's at the wheel[dice]0[/dice]
The tricky shadows cast by the setting sun make a large rock seem like a dark spot just before the dune buggy runs into it, taking a fair amount of damage. It still runs well enough to reach the commune -- if the adventurous pair can find it -- but will need some repair to make its way back to civilization.
Spoiler:
Jack and Lew INT = 9 and 16[dice]1[/dice]
Unfortunately, the fact that the previous dune buggy knocked over the cactus shaped like a scarecrow makes the turn-off spot very difficult to find, so the two spend quite a bit of time driving around until long after sunset. They finally find the place, but well after dark. In the moonlight can be seen several figures gathering bits of wood and piling them up. By this time, the other investigators have looked around, talked, napped, and shared a simple meal of vegetables and a stew of freshly killed rabbit, from which an occasional bit of buckshot must be taken. As the new arrivals approach the wire fence, a low hum warns them that it is electrified. It is not long before midnight.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 am
by jp1885

Tony shrugs off his failure to seduce Flame - he's had worse rebuffs! Over their meal of rabbit stew he continues to question the two girls.

"So how did you get here? Would you mind telling me your stories? This is delicious by the way - my compliments to the chef."

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:15 pm
by SunlessNick

Over the dinner, Zara continues to gush about the demonstration, hoping that it will induce some of the cult members to brag a bit.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 pm
by Starspawn338
"Well that was perfectly awful." Lew says.
OOC,Do we see the others inside the compound?

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"How does it work?" asks Liz. "Has he always had the power within him, or was it something he gained somehow?"

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: "Well that was perfectly awful." Lew says.
OOC,Do we see the others inside the compound?
From outside the wire fence the pair of investigators can hear conversation coming from what must be the communal dining hall, including the familiar voices of their compatriots.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony shrugs off his failure to seduce Flame - he's had worse rebuffs! Over their meal of rabbit stew he continues to question the two girls.

"So how did you get here? Would you mind telling me your stories? This is delicious by the way - my compliments to the chef."
"That would be Kindling," Flame remarks. "He used to be a short order cook at a greasy spoon out on the Highway. After dinner we all help him clean up. I'm sure he'd appreciate it if you'd lend a hand."

Further conversation with Flame and others reveals that the members of the commune were all involved in liberal-to-leftist political demonstrations of some sort, ranging from nonviolent to not-so-nonviolent. Flame herself, it appears, used to be a member of the Black Panthers. It seems they all decided that the Master's arcane skills indicated a special spiritual connection, and a better way to change the world.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Over the dinner, Zara continues to gush about the demonstration, hoping that it will induce some of the cult members to brag a bit.
"Wait until you see what the Master's got cooking for next week," Spark says. "It'll make the Weathermen look like Boy Scouts." Other members of the group quickly quiet him before he can reveal more.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"How does it work?" asks Liz. "Has he always had the power within him, or was it something he gained somehow?"
"It was a gift from Light," a young man remarks. "He's been trying to teach some of us, but I guess you have to receive the gift first." He turns to the young girl Ember. "Show them what you can do."

The child closes her eyes tightly and wrinkles her brow in concentration. She breathes rapidly, and sweat appears on her face. After a few minutes, a tiny puff of smoke appears in the air before her, then quickly dissipates. She sighs and nods her head, clearly exhausted.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good start, Ember," says Liz in a reassuring tone. "Much better than I could ever do." With all the time she has spent investigating paranormal abilities, she has never had any of her own. While in some ways she would like them, she also realizes intellectually that she's better off without them, as they're often more curse than gift. "Who is Light?"

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:55 am
by jp1885

Tony scribbles down plenty of notes as the others tell their stories. He pretends not to hear Sparks' conversation with Zara, but again makes a note of it to follow up at an appropriate time.

While intrigued and a little alarmed by Ember's demonstration, he opts to play the cynical journalist as a ploy to get them talking more about this 'gift'.

"So how's it done? A special powder? A tinderbox hidden up the sleeve? You'll forgive my scepticism - comes with the job I'm afraid."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"That's a good start, Ember," says Liz in a reassuring tone. "Much better than I could ever do." With all the time she has spent investigating paranormal abilities, she has never had any of her own. While in some ways she would like them, she also realizes intellectually that she's better off without them, as they're often more curse than gift. "Who is Light?"
All the members of the group bow their heads solemnly.

"Light is All," they chant in unison. "All is Light. Praise to Light, and honor to Light's prophet."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony scribbles down plenty of notes as the others tell their stories. He pretends not to hear Sparks' conversation with Zara, but again makes a note of it to follow up at an appropriate time.

While intrigued and a little alarmed by Ember's demonstration, he opts to play the cynical journalist as a ploy to get them talking more about this 'gift'.

"So how's it done? A special powder? A tinderbox hidden up the sleeve? You'll forgive my scepticism - comes with the job I'm afraid."
One of the older men -- a relative term, since none seem to be much more than in their late twenties -- who seems to be called Flint, answers.

"You cannot help being filled with Darkness, so we will disregard your lack of faith. Ahriman is powerful."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"How do you receive the gift?" asks Liz, making a mental note to talk to Spark alone later and find out what the Master has planned for next week, without the others around to keep him from talking.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"How do you receive the gift?" asks Liz, making a mental note to talk to Spark alone later and find out what the Master has planned for next week, without the others around to keep him from talking.
"Only the will of Ahura Mazda determines who will receive such a gift," Flint replies. By this time it seems as if he is one of the most pious of the group. "No human effort can attain it, when it is not bestowed by Light."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:24 am
by SunlessNick

"Ahura Mazda," Zara repeats slowly. "Is he like a god?" (Internally, she wonders about revealing her own gift, in the hopes of ingratiating herself, but decides to wait until she has a better idea of how they would take it).

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 am
by jp1885

Tony knows he can only push the incredulous journalist act so far in the face of such fanaticism. He notes the names 'Ahriman' and 'Ahura Mazda' for future investigation. He also makes a mental note to be wary of Flint.

He listens intently as the others discuss this so-called god.

"Ahriman, Ahura Mazda, Light - are they one and the same?"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In response to these inquiries, the assembled members of the group display a mixture of disapproval and amusement, in much the way one might respond to the questions of an ignorant child.

Flame, in a somewhat sarcastic manner, offers a deliberately simple explanation.

"Maybe you better study up on Zoroaster, the first Master. Here's the kindergarten version, dig? Ahura Mazda, the Lord of Light. Ahriman, the Lord of Darkness. You know, Good Guy and Bad Guy, like in the cowboy movies?"

Murmurings among some of the others indicate that not all of them approve of her jesting manner.

"Anyway, it's time for the ceremony."

All assembled head outside, where others have been preparing a large pile of wood. They stand around it silently. A little while later, the so-called Master makes his first appearance from his private quarters, accompanied by two young women. They seem to help him make his way slowly forward. As the others cry out a wordless greeting, he raises one hand. Meanwhile, Spark can be seen operating a battery-powered portable phonograph nearby. A small fireball, perhaps the size of a ping pong ball, seems to emerge from the Master's hand and flies towards the wood, to the excited shouts of the crowd. At the same time, Spark places the phonograph needle on the record.

I have only one burnin' desire
Let me stand next to your fire!

As the music continues, at a louder volume than one might expect from a portable phonograph, the fireball hits the bonfire and sets it ablaze, its flames reaching high into the night. Frenzied dancing, of the kind one might witness at a San Francisco psychedelic light show and concert, breaks out among the crowd, continuing as the bonfire lights up the area, casting giant shadows on the buildings. Meanwhile, the Master, head bowed low, is led away, back into his chambers.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is fascinating," says Liz to Tony and Zara. "I didn't know there were that many followers of Zoroastrianism still around. It was widespread in ancient times, but it was supplanted by monotheistic religions. It's not monotheistic itself, but dualistic. In Zoroastrianism, Ahura Mazda and Ahriman are equal in power, whereas in Judeo-Christian religions with which we're more familiar, God is all-powerful, and the devil is a created being who has only what power God allows him. The powers of these people seem to exhaust them the more they are used."

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:25 am
by SunlessNick

"Then Ahura Mazda is helping new people fight back against Ahriman?" Zara asks, phrasing it that way for the benfit of any cultists who might overhear. She looks around, wondering if there's anything to drink.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 am
by Starspawn338
Lew takes a position where he can observe the bonfire from the darkness. It doesn't appear that anyone is in trouble and so he opts to hang back for the time being.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:40 am
by jp1885

World religions are not exactly Tony's forte, but he makes notes as best he can. At least the delectable Dr. North knows what this gobbledigook is all about!

When the 'Master' appears and performs his trick, the detective looks on intently, trying to ascertain how the flame is produced and projected.

"My goodness, how groovy..." He mutters.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Then Ahura Mazda is helping new people fight back against Ahriman?" Zara asks, phrasing it that way for the benfit of any cultists who might overhear. She looks around, wondering if there's anything to drink.
The assembled cult members are too much engaged in their frenzied dancing to pay any attention to what the visitors are saying. There are some bottles of cheap wine scattered here and there, as well as several containers of water, from which one of the dancers occasionally relieves the dehydration caused by such extreme exertion.

This continues for some hours, until the fire burns itself out and the cultists, obviously in a state of exhaustion, return to their quarters.

The next day, Zara is informed that the Master is ready to perform the initiation ceremony. She will be escorted to his chambers by two women once she is ready.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
World religions are not exactly Tony's forte, but he makes notes as best he can. At least the delectable Dr. North knows what this gobbledigook is all about!

When the 'Master' appears and performs his trick, the detective looks on intently, trying to ascertain how the flame is produced and projected.

"My goodness, how groovy..." He mutters.
Spoiler:
int = 7[dice]0[/dice]
Squinting very closely, Tony is unable to detect any form of equipment upon the person of the so-called Master; the fireball simply seems to appear from nowhere, like the trick of a skilled conjurer.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote:Image
Lew takes a position where he can observe the bonfire from the darkness. It doesn't appear that anyone is in trouble and so he opts to hang back for the time being.
Spoiler:
INT = 16 - 3 for near sighted=13[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the difficulty of seeing things, given the constant movement of light and shadow, Lew is able to deduce that the bonfire burns out much more quickly, given its size, than one might expect; a matter of a few hours instead of all night and well into the day.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"May we observe the initiation?" asks Liz. She wants to be there to protect Zara in case anything goes wrong, and she'd also like to see it.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:15 am
by SunlessNick

"What preparations must I make?" Zara asks.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 am
by jp1885

While the exhausted cultists are asleep, Tony will attempt to wander around the compound, looking for ways in and out and how they are guarded. If challenged, he will maintain that he is trying to get a sense of the 'atmosphere' of the desert night, so that he might add some mood to his article.

After a reasonable sleep, he washes and dresses as fastidiously as the circumstances allow before partaking in breakfast. Upon hearing of Zara's plan, he frowns, catching her arm before she speaks to their hosts.

"You be careful hm? If this cat really does shoot fire from his hands, there's no knowing whatever freaky stuff he can do. Do you still have my penknife?"

When Liz makes her request, he readily concurs.

"Oh yes, if we may. It'd be quite a scoop!"

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 pm
by SunlessNick
jp1885 wrote:"You be careful hm? If this cat really does shoot fire from his hands, there's no knowing whatever freaky stuff he can do. Do you still have my penknife?"

"I'm sorry, I lost it in his lair. I'll be careful."

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've got a pocket knife, if you want to borrow it," Liz tells Zara quietly.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The two women -- their names seem to be Blaze and Flare, and they are alike enough to be sisters, both of them dark in coloring, with long black hair worn loose -- who seem to spend almost all their time attending to the Master and his needs explain that there is little preparation required.

"I suggest that you meditate for a while, so that Light may reveal your new identity," one says.

"And do not be frightened by anything that happens. Faith must overcome fear."

They also explain that a small number of witnesses may be present, but there must not be any cameras.

Tony's investigations reveal that there is only one entrance in and out of the compound, a large gate which is opened once the electricity to the fence is turned off, to allow people and supplies to make their entrance and exit. He also discovers a piece of paper stuck to the fence. Retrieving it carefully, to avoid touching the fence, he is able to read, in the bright desert moonlight, its handwritten message.

BLASFEEMERS YUR DOOM IS NEER

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 am
by SunlessNick

"It would be cool if they could see," Zara says to Blaze and Flare. "They're telling the story of me finding you." Drawing tends to leave Zara either centred or nervous, depending on whether her gift makes its presence felt - but the nature of this group already leaves her nervous, so she might as well try to calm herself. If the women ask what she's doing, she will call it her meditation - she will try to slip the result to Liz in exchange for the penknife.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:06 am
by Rooter

Outside the fence, Carson busies himself with his recording devices.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 pm
by jp1885

With the message carefully folded up and pocketed, Tony will idly enquire if the cult has had an trouble from outsiders or received any threatening messages.

He'll also readily volunteer to be a witness to the ceremony, if only to keep an eye on Zara.

In preparation to this, he will join in the meditation (or at least attempt to - not really his cup of tea, but when in Rome...). Who knows, maybe he'll receive some startling revelation (or maybe he'll start nodding off)?

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Before the initiation, Liz seeks out Spark and sees if she can talk to him alone.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"It would be cool if they could see," Zara says to Blaze and Flare. "They're telling the story of me finding you." Drawing tends to leave Zara either centred or nervous, depending on whether her gift makes its presence felt - but the nature of this group already leaves her nervous, so she might as well try to calm herself. If the women ask what she's doing, she will call it her meditation - she will try to slip the result to Liz in exchange for the penknife.
Perhaps under the influence of wine as well as a meditative state, Zara half-consciously produces a sketch of what appears to be an adult figure pulling a child away from a fire, the child apparently attempting to escape and draw near the flames. The drawing is easily exchanged for the knife.

Some time afterwards, she is escorted into the simple but comfortable chambers of the Master. He remains sitting while all others stand. With a casual gesture of one hand, what appears to be a wall of flame appears before the newcomers. However, it does not produce sound or heat, nor does it consume anything in the room.

"Walk through the fire, child," the Master says, "and speak your new name."

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
With the message carefully folded up and pocketed, Tony will idly enquire if the cult has had an trouble from outsiders or received any threatening messages.

He'll also readily volunteer to be a witness to the ceremony, if only to keep an eye on Zara.

In preparation to this, he will join in the meditation (or at least attempt to - not really his cup of tea, but when in Rome...). Who knows, maybe he'll receive some startling revelation (or maybe he'll start nodding off)?
"There are always those who do not understand," one member of the group explains.

"Yeah, and tries to put a bullet in our brains," another, more cynical one adds. "That's why we had to cut out and find us this groovy desert scene."
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Meditation is good for the mind, it seems. Tony has an intuitive sense, based on tone of voice, body language, and such, that some members of the cult are more sincere in their beliefs than others.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote: Outside the fence, Carson busies himself with his recording devices.
These are easily set up and hidden with the region's plentiful supply of rocks and sand.

As dawn approaches, and the investigators inside the commune go about their business, it becomes evident that it will be impossible to hide the arrival of another dune buggy, and folks will begin wondering who has shown up.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Before the initiation, Liz seeks out Spark and sees if she can talk to him alone.
He can be found tinkering with the insides of a wristwatch, surrounded by a wide variety of simple tools.

"Getting a good scoop?"

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:57 am
by SunlessNick

"What will happen when I do...?" Zara swallows - she doesn't make any attempt to conceal being scared, figuring the Master probably gets that a lot.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am
by jp1885

As Zara stalls the initiation ceremony, Tony takes a look at the assembled cultists, trying to pinpoint who is the least fanatical - perhaps the cynical one?

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite," says Liz with a smile. "Whatever the Master has planned for next week sounds like an even bigger scoop, and I'd like to know more. It sounds like it should make the world sit up and take notice. And if I'm there on the scene when it happens, reporting it, it will get all the attention it deserves."

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"What will happen when I do...?" Zara swallows - she doesn't make any attempt to conceal being scared, figuring the Master probably gets that a lot.
The Master does not answer, but merely smiles enigmatically.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
As Zara stalls the initiation ceremony, Tony takes a look at the assembled cultists, trying to pinpoint who is the least fanatical - perhaps the cynical one?
This would seem to be the case, the person in question being a somewhat older man who calls himself Smoke.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Quite," says Liz with a smile. "Whatever the Master has planned for next week sounds like an even bigger scoop, and I'd like to know more. It sounds like it should make the world sit up and take notice. And if I'm there on the scene when it happens, reporting it, it will get all the attention it deserves."
"I can't say too much, but a whole lotta draft cards are gonna go up in flames. You know the Forum, that new sports arena they're building in Inglewood? I'd keep my eye on it if I were you."

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:23 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara nods, and inspired by the memory of an old boyfriend describing her eyes says, "My name is Coal." She walks toward the fire, trying to tell herself that they must all have done this, it must be a trick or illusion or something, it's going to be ok...
OOC:   Charisma 13.
Rolled 1D20: 18  
But it's wall of fire. "I'm sorry," she says, ostensibly to the Master, but really to Liz and Tony. "I can't do it."

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:37 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Holiday wifi is working, yay!  
For the sake of investigative journalism, Tony will volunteer to undertake the ritual if the Master allows it.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:11 pm
by Starspawn338
As dawn approaches, and the investigators inside the commune go about their business, it becomes evident that it will be impossible to hide the arrival of another dune buggy, and folks will begin wondering who has shown up.
Lew will abandon any pretense of hiding as dawn approaches and goes to the front gate to hail anyone that is there.
"Hello in there. I need some help. I ran into something with my vehicle and I fear I will not make it back to town without repairs."

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers," says Liz with a wink. "Any particular day I should be there?"

Later, at the initiation, Liz observes everything carefully, determined to make sure her friends are safe and to see how it is done.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara nods, and inspired by the memory of an old boyfriend describing her eyes says, "My name is Coal." She walks toward the fire, trying to tell herself that they must all have done this, it must be a trick or illusion or something, it's going to be ok...

But it's wall of fire. "I'm sorry," she says, ostensibly to the Master, but really to Liz and Tony. "I can't do it."
The Master shrugs, as if this is not an uncommon reaction. "So be it. Perhaps you would care to help out in the kitchen or the gardens until your faith is strong enough. You must retain your worldly name until such time."

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: For the sake of investigative journalism, Tony will volunteer to undertake the ritual if the Master allows it.
With eyes wide open in surprise, the Master says "You understand that this is not a game. I cannot be responsible for what might happen to one who does not follow the way of Light."

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote:
Lew will abandon any pretense of hiding as dawn approaches and goes to the front gate to hail anyone that is there.
"Hello in there. I need some help. I ran into something with my vehicle and I fear I will not make it back to town without repairs."
A couple of folks working in the gardens approach. "I'll get Spark. He digs machines."

As she sets off on this errand, her companion glances as the newcomers. "So, what brings you two out here in the middle of nowhere?" he inquires.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Cheers," says Liz with a wink. "Any particular day I should be there?"

Later, at the initiation, Liz observes everything carefully, determined to make sure her friends are safe and to see how it is done.
With a chuckle, Spark replies "Let's just say you better get your costume and your bag of candy ready, baby." A young woman speaks to him, explaining that some visitors need help with their vehicle.

"Cool," Spark says, and hurries off with his tools.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:04 am
by Starspawn338
"So, what brings you two out here in the middle of nowhere?" he inquires.
"I thought I would go off on an adventure into nature and see what I could see off the grid so to speak." Lew replies as he stands next to the fence. "A road less traveled is not without boulders I have discovered." He says sheepishly.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:29 pm
by SunlessNick

"Thankyou master, I would be happy to work in the kitchen," Zara says, putting on a show of contrition.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote:
"So, what brings you two out here in the middle of nowhere?" he inquires.
"I thought I would go off on an adventure into nature and see what I could see off the grid so to speak." Lew replies as he stands next to the fence. "A road less traveled is not without boulders I have discovered." He says sheepishly.
"I see. Well, you better come in, out of the sun before it get too hot. Spark will see what he can do with your buggy."
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 3 for Mechanical Genius = 12[dice]0[/dice]
It isn't much later before Spark has the vehicle back in running order.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Thank you master, I would be happy to work in the kitchen," Zara says, putting on a show of contrition.
A couple of young people escort Zara to the food preparation area, where beans, grains, vegetables, and freshly killed small game are made ready. The workers engage in casual conversation while at their labors.

"Don't worry, honey," one woman remarks. "I got scared, too. Took me a while to work up the nerve to walk through the cleansing fire."

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:34 am
by SunlessNick

"Thankyou," Zara says with a wan smile. "Most of the people here have been so cool to me - oh, maybe I should say warm? I'm really sorry to have let everyone down."

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nobody would think any less of you if you don't go through with it," Liz tells Tony. "I don't think I'd be able to do it, though I did think of a groovy new name for myself: Phoenix."

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:03 am
by jp1885
"A cool name. A flame that produces no heat can surely be little threat," Tony assures Liz. "And besides, the Knight of Wands must take a risk now and then hm?"

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Liz. "If you don't burn to a crisp, I may try it too. Perhaps it's some kind of optical illusion."

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With an unconcerned shrug, the Master waves at Tony to encourage him to move forward. This proves impossible, as if the flames were a solid wall. Although he remains unharmed, Tony simply cannot pass through the fire.

"It seems as if you have not won the favor of Ahura Mazda, " the Master says. "That is not surprising, as He rarely smiles upon unbelievers."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Time passes uneventfully, for the most part. The bonfire ritual is repeated each night at midnight, followed by much needed deep sleep for all involved. Early one morning, Spark discovers a gap in the fence, obviously cut with insulated wire cutters during the wee hours of the night. More alarming, it soon becomes apparent that the child Ember is missing, seemingly taken away while everyone was sound asleep. There are scattered footprints around the opening in the fence, and signs of dragging. The members of the commune begin to cast suspicious glances at the new arrivals and whisper among themselves about them.

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz has told her friends what Spike told her about their plans when nobody can overhear them, that they're going to burn the Forum and all the draft cards within it on October 31st. "We need to try to find Ember," she tells the others when she hears of the child being missing. "We need to see to her safety, and besides, people think we're responsible because we're outsiders. If we can find her, that would go a long way toward allaying those suspicions."

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:14 am
by SunlessNick

"Do you think it's to do with that note Tony found?" Zara asks. "Sounded like churchy people who can't spell." After a pause, she adds, "Wait, it was spelled the same way in their place in the city."

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think you're right," says Liz. "We need to see if we can follow their tracks."

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:59 am
by Rooter

"I have recording devices placed outside the compound," Carson remarks. "I'll check if they picked up anything."

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:42 pm
by jp1885

Tony hits the wall of unpassable flame with a mixture of surprise, disappointment and relief. The rational part of him suspects some kind of invisible wire or hypnotic suggestion. The other half, which remembers the encounter with the Embalmer and his skeletal minions, thinks otherwise.

He grins ruefully at the Master. "Well, at least you know that I'm keen to tell your story. Perhaps I could interview you some time?"

Giving time for the Master to consider this, he makes a show of working with Liz and Zara, while apparently ignoring the newcomers Lew and Carson. He also seeks out his cynical new friend, attempting to get the inside scoop. Is there trouble in paradise? Just what did happen at their former pad to drive them into the desert?

Later, when it transpires that Ember has gone missing, Tony is once again keen to step into the breech by volunteering to follow the tracks that lead from the hole in the fence. Perhaps his cynical friend would like to tag along?

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll go with you," Liz says to Tony. "I'm intrigued by the phenomenon that prevented you from walking through the flames, but I'm just as glad you didn't end up making an ash of yourself."

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Yes, I think you're right," says Liz. "We need to see if we can follow their tracks."
There are obvious tracks of an automobile driving away from the compound, leading in the direction of Barstow.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
"I have recording devices placed outside the compound," Carson remarks. "I'll check if they picked up anything."
Once there is a chance to listen to the tapes, they reveal the sounds of an automobile approaching in the dead of night; footsteps; the sound of tools working on metal; low, unintelligible speech sounds, as of a woman talking to herself; then a gap of silence. Some time later, more footsteps, and snatches of a conversation between a woman and a girl.

"I don't want to leave."

"You're coming home, and that's that. Ouch!"

"Let me go or I'll burn you again. I'll--"

The child's voice fades away, like someone falling asleep.

"Little demon! Maybe it's not too late . . ."

The woman's voice ceases, more footsteps are heard, then the sound of a car driving away.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony hits the wall of unpassable flame with a mixture of surprise, disappointment and relief. The rational part of him suspects some kind of invisible wire or hypnotic suggestion. The other half, which remembers the encounter with the Embalmer and his skeletal minions, thinks otherwise.

He grins ruefully at the Master. "Well, at least you know that I'm keen to tell your story. Perhaps I could interview you some time?"
"Tomorrow, then," he answers in a weak voice. The flame vanishes. "I must rest now." The two women help him return to his bedroom.
Giving time for the Master to consider this, he makes a show of working with Liz and Zara, while apparently ignoring the newcomers Lew and Carson. He also seeks out his cynical new friend, attempting to get the inside scoop. Is there trouble in paradise? Just what did happen at their former pad to drive them into the desert?
"It was a bad scene, man," Smoke says. "Some kook with a rifle blasting at the place. Musta been a real bad shot, though. Never hurt nobody. We figured we'd better split 'fore the cops busted us for, like, disturbin' the peace or whatever."
Later, when it transpires that Ember has gone missing, Tony is once again keen to step into the breech by volunteering to follow the tracks that lead from the hole in the fence. Perhaps his cynical friend would like to tag along?
"Hey, man, don't nobody leave the place 'less the Master gives the OK, dig? Upsets the vibes. 'Sides, we don't want no trouble with the squares. Little kid can take care of herself, far as I'm concerned."

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pm
by SunlessNick
"This is what I drew," Zara says to Liz.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:52 pm
by jp1885

Tony nods to Smoke and raises an eyebrow.

"So if you wouldn't be allowed to leave voluntarily? Interesting... Thankfully I am under no such restriction and an errany child is always of some concern, so I shall join in the search."

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:33 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew thanks Spark for fixing his vehicle and asks, "So what do I owe you for helping me out?"

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"As shall I," says Liz, her chin set with determination. She examines Zara's drawing.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew thanks Spark for fixing his vehicle and asks, "So what do I owe you for helping me out?"

"No charge. Just do me a favor sometime, OK?"

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Those who wish to follow the tire tracks back to Barstow will find it easy to do so, until reaching the city itself, when the ordinary confusion of traffic makes it impossible to determine exactly where they lead.

Those who choose to remain at the commune will discover that, in addition to the usual runs into town to pick up necessary supplies (done by the most discreet members of the group, under the Master's direction), the few persons who journey to Barstow and back return with masks and other costuming supplies, of the cheap, simple kind easy to obtain at a general store.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:19 am
by SunlessNick

Zara wants to help the little girl, but also needs to keep playing the part of prospective initiate, which means not seeming too much of a unit with the others - so she will stay at the commune. She'll offer to help unload supplies, and take note of where they go.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:07 am
by jp1885

Tony uses the missing girl as an excuse to leave the compound and collect his thoughts - the claustrophobic interior of the place was causing him to lose focus somewhat.

While the desert heat still baked the town, there was at least space enough to think.

Working on the theory that the kidnapper was of a religious persuasion, he asks around the local churches to see if anyone has rocked up recently accompanied with a previously unknown young girl (or one which hasn't appeared for some time until recently).

If questioned, he will use a variety of excuses from journalist, government official, concerned relative etc. as the situation demands.

He will pay special attention to any chuches where the spelling on the signage outside is particulary bad - 'JEEZUS SAFES' and suchlike.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:49 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew thanks Spark. "Of course I'd be willing to do you a favor in the future." He offers a card for his bookstore. "If you ever need a hard to find book, I'm your man.
Lew will then locate Carson and see if he wants to head back into town in the vehicle.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz accompanies Tony, using her considerable charms to get people to open up to them. "We should stick to our journalism cover as much as possible," she says. "We don't want word getting around that we're anything else."

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Zara wants to help the little girl, but also needs to keep playing the part of prospective initiate, which means not seeming too much of a unit with the others - so she will stay at the commune. She'll offer to help unload supplies, and take note of where they go.
Regular supplies go into storage areas located here and there, depending on what they are. (Food into the kitchen, for example.) The stuff that looks intended for a costume party winds up in the back of an old, beat-up delivery van, parked in an otherwise empty part of the compound.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew thanks Spark. "Of course I'd be willing to do you a favor in the future." He offers a card for his bookstore. "If you ever need a hard to find book, I'm your man.
Lew will then locate Carson and see if he wants to head back into town in the vehicle.

"Cool. Maybe I can score a copy of The Medium is the Massage by McWhatshisname. Supposed to be a heavy trip."

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After wearing out their shoes for a while Tony and Liz find out that 1) All the church signs in town have impeccable spelling and grammar, and 2) Nobody at any of the churches knows anything about a new girl showing up lately. If there are religious fanatics in Barstow, such have nothing at all to do with the churches in the city.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:07 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:The stuff that looks intended for a costume party winds up in the back of an old, beat-up delivery van, parked in an otherwise empty part of the compound.

"Oh, we off to scare the straights?" Zara asks as the costumes are loaded into the van.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:23 am
by jp1885

"Hmm, I suspect we may have had a wasted journey..."

Tony flops down onto a park bench and, removing a shoe, massages his foot.

"What do you say Liz - use Carson's name to check for any missing persons reports and then head back?"

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's probably all we can do," says Liz, sitting next to him and stretching her weary legs. She did have the foresight to wear sturdy yet stylish boots on this trip to the desert, so they're not in that bad shape.

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:18 pm
by jp1885

"Excellent. Maybe afterwards I'll buy you dinner in reparation for all the footwork." Tony grins.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers," says Liz. "I'd be delighted."

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:The stuff that looks intended for a costume party winds up in the back of an old, beat-up delivery van, parked in an otherwise empty part of the compound.
"Oh, we off to scare the straights?" Zara asks as the costumes are loaded into the van.
"Let's just say it'll be a party they'll never forget," says one of the group.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:09 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Hmm, I suspect we may have had a wasted journey..."

Tony flops down onto a park bench and, removing a shoe, massages his foot.

"What do you say Liz - use Carson's name to check for any missing persons reports and then head back?"
Access to the agent's files and government contacts eventually yields the information that a girl matching the description of Ember (real name: Susan Fletcher) was reported as missing from Venice just before the Children of Light left (or were forced out of) that city.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Cheers," says Liz. "I'd be delighted."
Some inquiry among yields the information that Rosita's Mexican restaurant is a popular eating place, with good food, quiet corners for conversation, and the opportunity to interact with the locals.

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:57 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Let's just say it'll be a party they'll never forget," says one of the group.

"Better than the one the master threw in the city?" Zara asks that member directly. "It was so tuff. It's the reason I came to you."

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"It sounds like our girl ran away from home to join this lot, as I suspected," says Liz. "Chances are her parents are responsible for taking her back, only she probably didn't want to go. We should see what we can find out about the Fletchers next, see if they're in Barstow, though they're from Venice."

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:10 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Let's just say it'll be a party they'll never forget," says one of the group.
"Better than the one the master threw in the city?" Zara asks that member directly. "It was so tuff. It's the reason I came to you."
"It'll make that one look like kiddie stuff. Believe me, after the Master gets through with 'em, the Man won't be sending boys off to die in 'Nam no more."

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:12 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"It sounds like our girl ran away from home to join this lot, as I suspected," says Liz. "Chances are her parents are responsible for taking her back, only she probably didn't want to go. We should see what we can find out about the Fletchers next, see if they're in Barstow, though they're from Venice."
Because the name Fletcher is not uncommon -- just take a look at the local telephone directory to find dozens of them -- it will require some thought how to track down the right one.

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:27 pm
by jp1885

"Hmm..."

Pushing thoughts of dining with his alluring companion to the back of his mind for a moment, Tony ponders on how to identify 'Ember's' parents.

"Let me see the missing persons report again. Who actually made the call? A member of the family perhaps? They must've left some contact details."

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could check with the Barstow police," says Liz. "If her parents are in town looking for their daughter, they must have talked to them."

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:06 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Hmm..."

Pushing thoughts of dining with his alluring companion to the back of his mind for a moment, Tony ponders on how to identify 'Ember's' parents.

"Let me see the missing persons report again. Who actually made the call? A member of the family perhaps? They must've left some contact details."
After finding the telephone number listed for Mary Fletcher, mother of the child -- no other relatives listed in the report -- and putting a dime into the nearest pay phone, the investigators hear a recording.

"I'm sorry, that number is no longer in service. Please check the number and try again, or dial Operator for assistance."

At least they get the dime back.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:13 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"We could check with the Barstow police," says Liz. "If her parents are in town looking for their daughter, they must have talked to them."
After working their ways through the red tape of the Barstow Police Department for a while, the investigators manage to win a brief interview with a detective.

"Yeah, we had a lady, what's-her-name Fletcher, come in here a coupla months ago. Had us look for the kid out at that nutty cult out in the desert. They denied knowing anything about her, let us look around the place. Nada. They mind their own business, don't cause any trouble in town. Lady was a bit of a kook herself, and we couldn't get a warrant to search deeper into the joint, so there wasn't much more we could do. Just another runaway, probably off to the Sunset Strip with the other hippies. You got a new lead or something?"

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 pm
by jp1885

"Possibly Detective, possibly. She might be here in Barstow, maybe with mumsie, but that's about as much as we've got."

Tony decides to keep schtum about their stay in the commune for now.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz waits to see how the detective reacts, not wanting to reveal anything that Tony isn't prepared to divulge.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:00 pm
by SunlessNick

"Sounds swish!" Zara enthuses. "Can I make you guys a snack or something? It's a long drive."

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Possibly Detective, possibly. She might be here in Barstow, maybe with mumsie, but that's about as much as we've got."

Tony decides to keep schtum about their stay in the commune for now.
"You got any dope on the kid, I wanna hear about it." The detective pulls out a pad of paper. "What makes you think the mother might be in town? And where are you staying? I might need to get in touch you both, and you sure don't sound like you're locals."

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Sounds swish!" Zara enthuses. "Can I make you guys a snack or something? It's a long drive."
"Far out. Maybe some of those smores. That would be cool. Keep it in mind for tomorrow, dig?"

Today being Monday, October 30, that means that the planned event will take place on the night of the 31st.

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:53 am
by Starspawn338
Once back in town, Lew will contact the others and share information. "From what I can tell, they are doing fine out there. I'm curious about the fire mastery aspect of this cult but they seem peaceful to me. Did you get any indication they are moving in a violent direction?"

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 am
by jp1885
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"You got any dope on the kid, I wanna hear about it." The detective pulls out a pad of paper. "What makes you think the mother might be in town? And where are you staying? I might need to get in touch you both, and you sure don't sound like you're locals."
Tony glances at Liz for a moment, wondering if it's a good time to come out with the truth. After a brief pause, he decides that, if anyone is going to squeal to the cult, it's unlikely to be a police detective.

"Remember the Embalmer killings down in Venice? We put paid to that - you can call down and check if you like. Afterwards we found ourselves co-opted by the intelligence services to investigate this fire cult. We're posing as journalists up at their compound and as such we've gotten mixed up in the search for their missing member - the kid. We think she's been taken back by her mother and tracked her as far as here."

He neglects to mention Zara, Lew and Carson so as not to blow their cover. He grins at the detective.

"Can we rely on your discretion, hm?"

Later, when the opportunity presents itself, Tony will brief Lew on what has been discovered.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After making a few phone calls, the detective accepts their story.

"Looks like you and your pals are some kind of heroes," he muses. "They're keeping some parts of the story quiet. Nutty Twilight Zone kind of stuff. Musta been stirred up by one of the tabloids. Anyway, give me a buzz if you find out anything about the kid or those kooks out in the desert." He gives the investigators his business card.

After a quiet evening sharing a decent meal and information, the next day the adventurers find the town decorated with pumpkins, cardboard black cats, and so forth. Little kids in cheap costumes -- Batman is popular this year, because of the hit TV show -- wander the streets long before dark.

Back at the commune, a pair of vans are loaded up with costumes and people start piling into the back, ready to be on their way.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're going to want costumes of our own," Liz tells her friends. "That'll help us blend in, and keep us from being recognized. I'd make a smashing Batgirl!"
OOC,While Batgirl/Barbara Gordon isn't on the TV show yet, she was introduced into the comics in January 1967 in preparation for adding her to the show. There was also a different character called Batgirl in the comics earlier in the sixties, but she was abandoned.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36 am
by SunlessNick

Zara makes the promised snacks.

During the night, she goes out to walk around the compound for a bit, "for some air" - if the vans are unguarded, she sneaks a look inside, to see if there are more than costumes there - and lets the air out of one tyre, so they'll have to change it before leaving (she doesn't try any more obvious sabotage, acutely aware that she's alone at the compound right now).

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:50 am
by jp1885

After a pleasant meal (if he was disappointed that it was not just him as Liz as he had hoped, then he was gracious enough not to show it), Tony happened to catch an episode of the new Batman TV show - all very silly stuff but enjoyable nonetheless.

He hadn't given the idea of a Halloween costume much thought (it's not really such a big thing over in the UK) but when it is being discussed, his thoughts turn back to last night's episode.

"I shall become the Mad Hatter," he declares, wondering what amusing gadget he could fit inside a top hat - an automatic pepper spray maybe?

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara makes the promised snacks.

During the night, she goes out to walk around the compound for a bit, "for some air" - if the vans are unguarded, she sneaks a look inside, to see if there are more than costumes there - and lets the air out of one tyre, so they'll have to change it before leaving (she doesn't try any more obvious sabotage, acutely aware that she's alone at the compound right now).
Spoiler:
dex = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Zara is able to examine the vans and disable a tire without arousing the attention of any of the group, who are sound asleep, recovering from the latest bonfire. Besides costumes and such, the vans also contain a supply of small tools of various kinds. There is also a flyer, obviously cheaply printed on a hand-operated mimeograph machine, announcing an anti-war protest to be held outside the not-yet-open Los Angeles Forum (actually located in the nearby city of Inglewood) that evening. No doubt these have already been distributed by hand through an underground network of activists. Replacing the tire requires enough time to allow those who wish to go along the opportunity to return from Barstow. The group sets out just as the sun sets.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"I would have had you pegged as Batman," Liz tells Tony. "You have much in common with Bruce Wayne, after all. Shall we go ahead to the Forum ourselves? That's where it'll be happening, and with my Aston Martin we can surely get there first."

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:13 am
by Rooter

Agent Carson - in costume as the Riddler - watches on in the background, mingling with the crowd.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:22 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara brings the snacks out the vans, she gives one bag to a passenger in one, and gets into the other to offer them around. Unless anyone actively kicks her out, she will stay, hoping to find a way to connect with the rest of the party at the Forum.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:55 pm
by jp1885

"Oh, simply everyone will be dressed as Batman my dear," Tony tells Liz with a grin.

"This way I'll blend in, but still be recognisable if you need to look for me - say we get seperated in the crowd or somesuch. Thanks for the comparison though - flattery will get you everywhere." Grin broadening, he winks.

"Yes, a trip in your motor is just the ticket. Lead on Macduff!"

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz gets behind the wheel of her car, starts the motor, and buckles her seatbelt. "It's taken a bit of getting used to, driving on the wrong side of the road," she says, "but I've got it down by now."

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Dynamic Duo of Liz and Tony arrive at the vicinity of the Forum well ahead of the Children of Light, as do Agent Carson and Lew. As darkness approaches, what seems at first to be a random bunch of people, many dressed in costumes, eventually separates itself into two more-or-less organized groups. They would not easily be distinguished from one another, were it not for the taunts they exchange. One group chants things like "Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh" and the other things like "America: Love it or Leave It." Apparently, one or the other group -- maybe both? -- took advantage of the Hallowe'en holiday atmosphere to set up an informal political rally. The chants become more raucous as the two groups jeer at each other, and a few small pieces of trash picked up off the ground go flying at the opposing side, to little effect, so far.

Eventually, the two vans from the commune show up. Members of the Children of Light, mostly in costume, emerge. A couple of them, carrying tools from the van, head for the locked gates of the Forum, taking advantage of the mulling crowd to avoid detection from an overwhelmed security guard, who isn't too enthusiastic about securing an empty building anyway. After a while, the Master climbs out of the van, in his usual clothing. He makes use of his unexplained ability to create flame by producing a few small fireballs to disperse the crowd out of his way, without causing any major harm. This action, however, stirs the emotions of both sides, who swear and shakes their fists at each other. The Master makes his way to the gates as his associates continue to work on opening them.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz parks the "Batmobile" and gets out, looking around. She doesn't need to wear a wig with her costume, as her natural red hair is perfect for it. "Let's see if we can find another way in," she suggests to Tony.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:59 am
by Starspawn338
Lew's "costume" is a mask on a stick which he holds in front of his face as he moves through the crowd to the front of the Forum.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:29 am
by jp1885

Frowning, Tony surveys the crowds, before turning his attention to the forum.

"Hmm, there must be a service entrance or something of that ilk. Let's take a turn around the perimeter and see what's round the back."

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:57 pm
by SunlessNick

With the whole crowd in constume, Zara looks for Liz or Tony's distinctive cars to confirm their presence, before trying to slip away from the Children and find them.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Those who choose to investigate the other areas of the Forum find a locked service door, and a single watchman, sound asleep, a bottle of whiskey by his side, in front of it, blocking the way; an effective barrier, if an informal one.

Meanwhile, the two crowds grow restless. It appears that rocks, bottles, protests signs, and fists will soon become weapons. The front gate is successfully unlocked and the Master and his followers go inside, closing it behind them.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:40 am
by jp1885

As the sound of confrontation increases around the front of the forum, Tony eyes the sleeping guard.

"Maybe we could relieve him of his keys and then send him on his way..." he whispers to Liz.

He gingerly searches the guard, trying not to wake him up.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Right," whispers Liz with a nod. "When we wake him up, we can just tell him about the trouble out front, and he'll run off to deal with it. That's his job, after all."

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 14 + 1 for Sneak = 15[dice]0[/dice]
Tony's agile fingers are able to obtain the guard's keys without waking the fellow, most likely because he is under the influence of strong drink. He snores and occasionally mumbles something in his sleep.
Spoiler:
number of keys[dice]1[/dice]
Seven is usually thought of as a lucky number. Maybe the investigators will be lucky as they try to figure out which of the guard's keys, out of seven, opens the service entrance.

Meanwhile, loud sounds, including a few screams, indicate that the commotion out front has turned into a full scale riot. The sound of footsteps suggest that people are running around in all directions, including towards those trying to get in the back way.
Spoiler:
Just for fun, if anybody wants to try to find out which key opens the service entrance before doing anything else, roll 1d7 to see how many attempts it takes. The number of attempts will determine how long it takes to get inside safely. The longer, the more of a chance that you'll have to face an angry mob first.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:45 am
by jp1885
Rolling for keys,[dice]0[/dice]
Mindful of the approaching riot, Tony takes a second to collect himself before trying the likeliest looking key.

It doesn't fit, so he selects the next likeliest. Thankfully this one slots into the lock and turns easily. He breathes a sigh of relief and hands the key to Liz for safe keeping.

"Hey you! Wake up!" He shakes the still sleeping guard. "There's a riot! Do something or get out of here!"

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Hurry!" urges Liz. "People are going to get hurt!"

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew will try to avoid the pending outbreak of violence and circle around the Forum to see if he can find where the fire people have gone off too.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:45 am
by SunlessNick

If Zara can get away from the Children, she'll keep looking for the others.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
rolling to see if the mob gets here; I need to roll lower than your two[dice]0[/dice]
As good luck would have it, Tony is able to find the right key just before the riot spreads to the investigator's location. The others are able to dodge rocks and bottles and join up with Liz and Tony, and make their way safely inside. The guard, roused from his slumber more by the rioters than the investigators, gets to his feet. Unwisely, somebody has provided him with a pistol, although one might suspect it only holds blanks.

"Knock it off!" He fires his pistol into the air to get the attention of the mob.

"Get the pig!"

Members of both sides, roused to fury at the interruption, run at the guard and beat at him with their fists.

The inside of the Forum, still under construction, is dimly lit by a few bare light bulbs left burning here and there. A diagram of the planned final design of the place is quickly located, no doubt left as a guide for construction workers.

The investigators have entered near what will someday be seat number 236. From here, they can look down into the inner circle of seats; the interior, which will be adjusted depending on what sporting event or concert takes place there, currently a large bare area; and the stage, a large structure removable when the Forum hosts a game instead of music. Currently, it's a jumble of wood and metal, awaiting a few finishing touches. There is no sign, as of yet, of the Master or his minions; not too much of a surprise, given the many places one might hide.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:23 am
by jp1885

Tony grimaces, torn between the relative safety of the Forum and the plight of the poor guard. After a second's hesitation, he leaves the others and returns outside and attempts to drag the guard to safety.

"Hey, the pig has squealed already - leave him be!"

If he can, he will ensure that the guard's firearm remains in his possession.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara tells the others about the tools they were carrying, and how many of the cultists there are.

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's head toward the front doors," suggests Liz. "We know they came in that way, maybe we can pick up their trail."

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:33 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony grimaces, torn between the relative safety of the Forum and the plight of the poor guard. After a second's hesitation, he leaves the others and returns outside and attempts to drag the guard to safety.

"Hey, the pig has squealed already - leave him be!"

If he can, he will ensure that the guard's firearm remains in his possession.
While pulling the guard pout of danger, Tony arouses the random fury of someone in the crowd. He can't tell if it's a hard hat or a long hair, but whoever it is tosses a large rock in his direction.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Sad to say, the heavy stone strikes a painful blow directly in the middle of Tony's face, leaving him with some serious bleeding from both nostrils. No good deed goes unpunished, it seems.
Spoiler:
1 = hits tony 2 = hits guard[dice]1[/dice]

damage:[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:38 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara tells the others about the tools they were carrying, and how many of the cultists there are.
Zara relates the information that the Master entered the Forum with two cult members carrying breaking-and-entering tools.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
One van has two cult members, one of them Spark, and a large amount of electronic equipment. The other van has five members, and a small amount of ordinary supplies (food, water, etc.)

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:46 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Let's head toward the front doors," suggests Liz. "We know they came in that way, maybe we can pick up their trail."
Given Tony's serious injury, it may also be important to note that first aid stations, according to the diagram, are located at the sides of both levels of seats (i.e. near seats 209, 110, 127, and 227.) Meanwhile, it can be told, due to loud banging noises, that some kind of activity is going on behind the jumble of the partly assembled stage, no doubt caused by the three who entered from the front (218.)

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:56 pm
by jp1885

"Argh!"

Clutching his face with his hands, Tony staggers backwards into the building and falls unceremoniously onto his backside.
OOC,If I read the rules correctly, Tony has 2 HP left (I assume it's 6 points non-fatal damage), and 1 point of fatal damage.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz helps Tony up and leads him toward the first aid station near seat 227. "I'm not a medical doctor," she says, "but I think I know enough to be able to patch you up."

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:05 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara joins in assisting Tony, doing whatever Liz says. "I didn't see anything flammable. If they want to burn anything, it will have to be him that does it."

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:24 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With the help of two ministering angels, the bleeding from Tony's injury is stopped and his face is cleaned up as best as possible. It will take a while before he'll be back to his old handsome self, but at least he's out of immediate danger. Meanwhile, a loud burst of microphone feedback fills the empty Forum. Obviously somebody is doing something with some kind of sound equipment, down around the stage. The manipulation of the equipment makes bits and pieces of the conversation of the people near the stage audible.

. . .ready. . .open. . .cards. . .masks...

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:57 pm
by jp1885

Nodding in thanks to his companions, Tony staggers a little , head buzzing as the sound blares around the forum.

"What the deuce?"

Whatever is going on, he can only hope his act of selflessness have at least increased is karma levels somewhat!

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's get down there and see what they're up to," says Liz.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:25 am
by Starspawn338
"Do you have any idea what they are planning?" Lew asks.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Spark said they're going to burn all the draft cards," replies Liz, "though that may merely be what his master told him. He may have another agenda."

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:21 pm
by SunlessNick

"One of the others made it sound like a lot more than that," Zara adds.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:25 pm
by jp1885

"Well whatever it is they're doing," Tony says through the handkerchief he holds to his nose, "the only way we'll find out is by heading down towards them. Let's go."

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:10 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew will begin to head in the direction of the stage.
"I think we should circle around to the back of the stage (around section 120/220) to see if we can see what they are up to."

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Capital idea," says Liz. "Their backs will be to us, and they probably won't expect anyone to sneak up behind them."

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
One big DEX check for the group; lowest among those present is 9; I'll raise that to 12 based on Tony's skill with sneaking, assuming he helps everybody move quietly, the fact that you're coming up from behind, and that the cultists are busy messing around with stuff.[dice]0[/dice]
Despite taking all precautions while advancing towards the back of the stage area, somebody -- we may never know who, exactly -- stumbles a bit, knocking into one of the seats that will someday be filled with sports fans and music buffs. The sound, which might be hardly noticeable under ordinary conditions, echoes through the vast, empty Forum like a gun shot, drawing the attention of the cult members.

"We got visitors," one of them says. "You wanna give 'em a taste of what's coming?"

"Open the doors," the Master replies calmly. "I'll take care of this interruption."

As the main gate is thrown open, admitting more cult members, as well as both anti- and pro-war activists, the sound system blasts out a loud, high-pitched squeal, filling the Forum with an extremely irritating noise which causes most present -- except, notably, the Master and his minions -- to cover their ears and cry out in pain. At the same time, the Master raises a hand and sends a fireball flying in the general direction of the investigators.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]
Perhaps it was only meant as a warning, as it soars over the heads of those present and falls into one of the seats in a higher tier. A quick glance reveals that it does some damage to the plastic seat, but quickly dissipates.

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:36 am
by jp1885

Ears ringing, Tony winces at both the heat from the fireball and the incessant squeal of feedback.

"Argh! I don't fancy being deafened or frazzled," he says urgently above the noise, "so I think a little subterfuge is in order. Let's make use of my somewhat dishevelled state."

He drapes an arm around Liz and Zara's shoulders, so that it appears like they are supporting him.

"I have been most dreadfully injured by the rioters - let's approach the Master and plea for assistance; the Lord of Light must look kindly upon good Samaritans after all. Meanwhile, Lew and Carson, you can use the distraction to sneak around behind them."

If the others agree to this plan, the girls can 'help' Tony through the seats while he groans somewhat theatrically, leading him towards the Master.

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:13 pm
by Starspawn338
"Gahhhh. I don't want to end up barbecued." Lew says as he drops down behind a row of seats and covers his ears.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Recognizing the approaching trio, despite their costumes, the Master waves a couple of minions towards them.

"See to that man's injuries and make sure that he and his friends stay out of trouble," he says, with a meaningful nod. It soon becomes quite clear that this means restraining the three, by force if necessary. "I must rest a while. Continue to adjust your equipment."

"You got it, Chief," says a man wearing a mask, whose voice is easily recognizable as that of Spark.

The piercing shriek of the sound equipment lessens, until it becomes no more than a low hum. At the same time, the rioters grow strangely calm, no longer raging at each other, and directing their attention at the Master with a look of mild interest.

Given everything that is happening, it is a simple thing for Lew and Carson to come up from behind.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"What a fascinating mechanism!" Liz says to Spark, eyeing the equipment. "I'd love to know how it works." She's already thinking of possible ways to counteract it, such as generating an electromagnetic pulse or a neutralizing wave to counter the one emitted by the equipment, which could destroy it.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:39 am
by jp1885

Tony leans on is stick in a slightly exaggerated fashion as he allows the minions to help him, offering them his pathetic gratitude.

"What's all the fuss about?" he asks in a bewildered fashion. "When we lost track of the child we heard you were here, so we thought we could continue covering your story. Next thing I know I'm being set upon by a mob! What's going on?"

As he witters he watches Spark closely while he adjusts the equipment and presumably shows it off to Liz.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:02 pm
by SunlessNick

"There's such a fight going on out there!" Zara exclaims to the minions, trying to keep their attention on trio.

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Yeah, it's a bad scene," remarks Spark, as he continues to fiddle with the equipment. "But, like, you gotta break some eggs to make an omelette, dig? 'Sides, once I got this gizmo up to speed ain't nobody gonna be in any mood for fightin' each other."

Having rested sufficiently, the Master stands and addresses the crowd.

"Servants of the Light! You will follow my instructions. Follow the sign!"

With that, two of his minions rush forward to the main gate. As they throw it wide open, the Master raises a hand and sends a fireball flying far off into the air, where it remains hovering over a building in the distance.

"Go, and destroy what you find there!"

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 am
by jp1885

"Won't the machine effect you all as well?" Tony asks his pal Spark. "Will you all have to cover your ears or somesuch?"

As the Master's minions rush off, Tony eases himself closer to him. Though appears to lean heavily on his stick, he is nevetheless poised to strike the man if need be.

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Can I help?" Liz asks Spark. "I know my way around machines." Having permission to handle the equipment would give her the perfect opportunity to sabotage it subtly.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:26 am
by Starspawn338
As Lew is looking for an opportunity to make himself useful, he decides he can't stand by and watch innocents be hurt.
"You can't do this. I'm as much against authority as any of you but you can't use violence to harm innocent people. They've done nothing!" He shouts as he approaches the Master and attempts to reason with him.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: "Won't the machine effect you all as well?" Tony asks his pal Spark. "Will you all have to cover your ears or somesuch?"

As the Master's minions rush off, Tony eases himself closer to him. Though appears to lean heavily on his stick, he is nevetheless poised to strike the man if need be.

With a grin, Spark replies "It's all where you aim it, man. See? We got it pointed at them folks down there, not at us." He points at what looks like a large megaphone, aimed at the former rioters, who are now walking slowly and quietly in the direction of the floating fireball.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Can I help?" Liz asks Spark. "I know my way around machines." Having permission to handle the equipment would give her the perfect opportunity to sabotage it subtly.
"No way, lady! You better back off if you don't want to get zapped yourself." Spark stays close to the megaphone, obviously protective of it.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: As Lew is looking for an opportunity to make himself useful, he decides he can't stand by and watch innocents be hurt.
"You can't do this. I'm as much against authority as any of you but you can't use violence to harm innocent people. They've done nothing!" He shouts as he approaches the Master and attempts to reason with him.
With a sneer of cold disdain, the Master ignores Lew and addresses Spark. "Please give this gentleman a taste of your marvelous invention."

Spark turns the megaphone with remarkable ease in Lew's direction for a small fraction of a second, then back towards the crowd making its way towards the fireball.
Spoiler:
wisdom check to avoid the effects of the device WIS = 10[dice]0[/dice]
Lew enters a state resembling deep hypnosis. He is unable to move or speak. His mind is in a condition that would render it obedient to the commands of one conversant with the power of the machine. This uncanny effect disappears after a few minutes, apparently due to the brief time the device was applied to him.

"Observe, but do not interfere," the Master says. "Repeated exposure the this sound can have unpleasant consequences."

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:41 pm
by jp1885

Tony watches aghast as Spark turns the megaphone on Lew. While the Master's philosophy may be laudable, unleashing a sonic weapon (not to mention fireballs) onto innocent members of the public is decidedly not.

Determined to act decisively, the playboy detective uses the distraction to 'limp' nearer the megaphone, subtly signalling to Liz as he does so.

Once he reaches the megaphone, poor crippled Tony will suddenly leap into action. Positioning himself behind the megaphone he will attempt to knock Spark unconcious with his stick. If he succeeds he will point the device away from the crowd and towards the Master, yelling at Liz to crank it up.

If he fails, then at least the Master cannot roast the Knight of Wands without destroying the megaphone.

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz stands ready to use the megaphone if Spark goes down, or to mace him if he does not.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12; if needed): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 14 + 3 for Bartitsu; not really a "danger" situation, I think, as Tony is not being directly threatened, so no danger bonus; total = 17[dice]0[/dice]
Perhaps because his recent injury has slightly lessened his cat-like reflexes, Tony's aim with his trusty cane just barely misses its intended target, passing over Spark's head with a whoosh. In the ensuing chaos, Liz also fails to gain control of the megaphone.

"What the hell!" Spark, full of rage, reacts in a primitive way, taking a swing at Tony with his fist.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]

damage[dice]2[/dice]
The fellow's hand connects solidly with Tony's already wounded head, causing blood to flow from his nostrils.

While all this is going on, the Master, perhaps suspecting that Liz is a greater threat than her bloodied companion, aims the device at her and activates its peculiar sound.
Spoiler:
attempting to resist the device wis = 10[dice]3[/dice]
Probably due to her prior experiences with even greater and more arcane evils, Liz is able to summon up the willpower to resist the hypnotic power of the bizarre invention. Seeing that his effort to control her mind is of no avail, the Master pushes the device aside and takes off running in the direction of the floating fireball. His minions take off after him as well, and all are soon with the crowd, just outside the building which is presumably their target.

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz snatches up the megaphone and does what she can to help Tony. "We have to get after them and stop them from attacking that building," she says.

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:24 am
by SunlessNick

Is it just the party now with the device now, or is Spark still there? If he is, Zara tries to appeal to him, "Help us! What that thing's doing, how's it any different from the draft?"

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:42 am
by jp1885

Tony collapses to the floor.
OOC,I think Tony's below zero HP now, unless the girls' first aid has kept him conscious.

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I have no intention of completely incapacitating you, and these were not attacks made with deadly weapons.
After blacking out for a few seconds, Tony awakes, to find himself being tenderly ministered by the two women; a situation which might not be unpleasant under different circumstances. Weak but able to stand and move, using reasonable caution, he and the others observe the Master, Spark, and the other cult members long gone, among the group of former rioters, in front of the building eerily illuminated by the fireball. In a moment, the light from that arcane source fades into nothing, and the scene is only dimly illuminated by a few streetlights near the building. The sound of the Master addressing the crowd can be heard, but not his exact words. After a while, those members of the crowd nearest the building begin to beat their fists on the windows, in a curiously regular and coordinated fashion.

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 am
by jp1885

Tony shakes his head as he gropes muzzily for his stick. He thanks the girls for their help as he stands.

"The machine - it's controlling the crowd. Surely we can use it to calm everyone down and put an end to this madness?"

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"My thoughts exactly," says Liz, hoisting the megaphone. "Usually I can get men to do what I want without resorting to such measures, but in this case I think it will be needed." Having seen the device used against her, albeit unsuccessfully, she tries it on the crowd, getting closer in the event that she's not in the machine's range.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
int 14 + 1 Scientific Knowlegde = 15[dice]0[/dice]
Liz is able to figure out how to operate the gizmo, although this requires approaching the crowd fairly closely. The rioters cease their battering of the windows, a few of which are now cracked open, of what proves to be the local draft board office. Upon the initial use of the device, they become slack-jawed and passive. Observing this, the Master aims a fireball at the machine rather than its user.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]
It barely misses its intended target, flying close enough to the investigators to cause them to feel its intense heat, with the feeling that they have narrowly escaped being harmed by it. Meanwhile, the Master directs his loyal followers, as few as they may be, to crawl through the broken windows into the draft board.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 pm
by jp1885

Despite his injured state, Tony is determined to put a stop to this before his whiskers are singed.

"Focus on the cultists," he yells to Liz. "Try to keep them down."

He looks around for the others.

"Let's deal with the Master. Approach from different directions - he can't blast us all!"

And with that, he runs at the fellow, brandishing his stick, intending to strike with all his might when within range.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:34 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara swallows, then does what Tony suggested, her hand in her pocket on the knife Liz gave her.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz turns the megaphone on the cultists, getting as close as necessary and hoping to stop them before they can enter the building.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Tony dashes forward, determined to strike at the Master, pushing aside the seemingly mindless crowd surrounding him.
Spoiler:
basic dex check to get through the crowd dex = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Easily making his way to his target, he strikes at the man with his trusty cane.
Spoiler:
dex 14 + Bartitsu skill (3) + danger bonus = 18[dice]1[/dice]

damage[dice]2[/dice]
The stick strikes solidly, drawing blood, but the Master remains standing.

Zara rushes towards him as well.
Spoiler:
dex check for the crowd = 13[dice]3[/dice]
Pushing aside the mesmerized rioters, she slashes at the man with the knife.
Spoiler:
dex = 13[dice]4[/dice]

damage[dice]5[/dice]
The blade hits a vital spot. The Master's robe is soon stained with blood, and he collapses to the ground.

Meanwhile, Liz aims the bizarre machine at the cultists.
Spoiler:
Spark and the two who rushed out the gate; three wis checks to resist; wis = 9[dice]6[/dice]
Spark grows slack-jawed, while the other two cultists, apparently made of sterner stuff, continue into the building. Soon black smoke can be seen coming out of the place.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:35 am
by jp1885

Once the Master is down, Tony races to his side. Incapacitating the guy is fine, but there's little honour in killing him.

"I'm sorry old chap, but you did force our hand rather... Morality isn't just black and white you know - you can't burn out the evil without setting fire to the good..."

He tries to stem the bleeding, trusting the others to deal with the remaining cultists.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:43 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew is no fighter but he will do what he can and follow the cultists inside the building and try to stem whatever fires they are starting.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz scrambles inside after the cultists, hoping to get close enough to zap them with the device again.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:40 am
by SunlessNick

Before following the others, Zara looks round quickly, to see if anyone seems about to threaten Tony while he is distracted tending to the Master.
OOC:   Wisdom 11 +1 Perception
Rolled 1D20: 7

Charisma 13 -3 Emotional
Rolled 1D20: 14  
However, the pause gives her time to realise she's just maybe killed a man (whatever penalty you see fit to inflict for that).

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Once the Master is down, Tony races to his side. Incapacitating the guy is fine, but there's little honour in killing him.

"I'm sorry old chap, but you did force our hand rather... Morality isn't just black and white you know - you can't burn out the evil without setting fire to the good..."

He tries to stem the bleeding, trusting the others to deal with the remaining cultists.
Using basic first aid, Tony is able to keep the Master in a stable, if unresponsive, condition.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew is no fighter but he will do what he can and follow the cultists inside the building and try to stem whatever fires they are starting.
By this time, the papers inside the file cabinets throughout the building have been set aflame, using such ordinary methods as matches and cigarette lighters. The two remaining cultists, their work apparently done, attempt to rush by Lew.
Spoiler:
Two battles of Dex; Lew's roll is first in each case. All dex = 9[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
The choking smoke renders Lew and the two arsonists less than fully capable of moving with any grace. None of the three escape the room, and continue struggling. The fire grows, and soon smoke fills the entire room.
Spoiler:
Smoke effects; CON rolls; Lew = 6, the others = 9[dice]2[/dice]
Lew and one of the cultists collapse from smoke inhalation; the other rushes out of the building and runs off in all the confusion.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz scrambles inside after the cultists, hoping to get close enough to zap them with the device again.
A few seconds of experimentation make it clear that the device has no effect on someone who has already resisted it through sheer willpower.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Before following the others, Zara looks round quickly, to see if anyone seems about to threaten Tony while he is distracted tending to the Master.
Everyone else seems too busy, or too distracted, to pay any attention to Tony or the Master
However, the pause gives her time to realise she's just maybe killed a man.
Zara is relieved to learn that the Master is not in mortal danger at this time.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Soon large amounts of smoke emerge from the building where Lew and one cultist are trapped, fallen to the floor. The mesmerized crowd begins coughing as the smoke reaches them, and they seem to snap out of their trance and scatter.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:35 am
by jp1885

Relieved that the guy is still alive, Tony fishes out a pair of handcuffs he keeps upon his person and, putting the Master's arms behind his back (and around a post or somesuch if there is one nearby), snaps them onto his wrists.

Confident that the cult leader is going nowhere, and should be unable to cast fireballs, he looks up towards the burning building. He can see most of his companions, but not Lew.

He rushes towards the smoke, yelling to anyone who'll listen to call the emergency services.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:22 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara follows Tony inside, determined to help however she can.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz is stronger than she looks. She manages to sling Lew over her shoulder to carry him outside into the fresh air.
OOC,Strength roll (12) to carry [b]Lew[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Tony and Zara in the smoke-filled building; both have CON = 8[dice]0[/dice]
Just as Lew is being carried out, in all the confusion Tony and Zara rush in bravely and also succumb to the smoke, collapsing to the floor. (Probably nobody could really see what was going on, due to all the smoke, explaining the chaotic situation.) At least one of the dazed, retreating rioters must have found a pay phone, because the sound of sirens can be heard at a distance.

During all this, Lew, Liz, Tony, and Zara caught a glimpse inside the building, among the smoldering papers, flames, and smoke, of a strange, translucent, hovering shape, floating throughout the place, extruding extensions that, at times, appeared like limbs, seeming to intensify the fire wherever it happened to be.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:27 am
by jp1885

Even as he slumps coughing to the floor, Tony can't help but stare at the strange entity. Was this another of the Master's abilities or a physical manifestation of the Lord of Light?

Do what you will with me, he says in his head. But spare the others.

Maybe, of course, he's just losing it. It's funny what goes through your mind in times of extremis.

The bad spelling at the clothes store... Of course... Mumsie was there all the time...

Perhaps it's this sudden realisation that makes him determined to get out alive, but regardless he makes an effort to stay conscious. Slithering on his belly like a snake to stay below the smoke, he tries to crawl.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:54 pm
by Rooter
Carson has seen enough. The shady government agent turns away and disappears into the crowd, to return to headquarters and make his report on all that has transpired.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:10 pm
by SunlessNick

Between her fear that she'll die if she passes out from the smoke, and the sight of the strange spectral figure, Zara quietly says, "Help us." - she doesn't know whether the thing that haunts her would respond to such a plea, only that it wants her for something.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz carefully lays Lew down on a bench so that he can recover, ready to guide the firefighters once they arrive. She wants to go back in for her other friends, but she knows that doing so alone risks all of them being trapped in the burning building.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the fire rages, the strange, half-seen figure slowly fades into nothingness, as if it has never been there. The flames and smoke, at the same time, reduce in size to some extent, allowing those inside to escape. As time passes, the firefighters are able to bring the blaze under control, and provide medical care for those suffering from smoke inhalation. The Master, still in an unconscious state, is taken from Tony's informal custody, the handcuffs are removed, and he is taken to the nearest hospital in an ambulance, accompanied by police, who have plenty of questions to ask. No lives are lost, but there's plenty of damage to the records inside the building.

Once fully recovered, Zara will be able to relate a strange vision, or hallucination, she experienced while in a half-conscious state. She seemed to see -- or perhaps it would be more accurate to says "sense" -- a man, in very old-fashioned clothes, appear, his image wavering and uncertain. This apparition seemed to convey a message, although not in words, that he would soon demand a heavy price for having driven off the thing that threatened her. She has the feeling that this figure, if it had any real existence at all, acted more out of a sense of possession rather than altruism.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:09 pm
by jp1885

Oblivious to Zara's vision, Tony brushes the soot off his costume.

"Well that's the deposit gone..." he croaks.

He watches as the Master's slumped form is led away and hopes that the police will be able to handle his powers when he wakes up. He tries to shout out a warning, but he has inhaled too much smoke to make much of a noise.

He turns his back on the others to cough up some unpleasantness, before facing them once more.

"So what now? Is the cult finished? What about the girl, Ember? I had the realisation that her mother might have ran the clothing store we visited, but do we need to follow up that lead?"

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:15 pm
by SunlessNick

"It doesn't look like Ember went with her willingly," Zara says. "We should see if she's all right." She seems subdued, though that is easily explained by what's just happened.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:05 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew sits on the ground using oxygen. He nods in response to Zara without speaking. He's not cut out for all this action but he has no desire to see an innocent girl taken against her will.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Based on Tony's hunch, the group drives back to Barstow, taking enough time to recover physically and mentally from their ordeal. At the Mad Hatter Boutique, all seems normal, although most of the merchandise has been sold or otherwise disposed of. When the investigators arrive, the proprietor greets them.

"Welcome back. Last day of business, then I'll be moving on. Hope you had a good time at the party. Looking for anything in particular?"

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 am
by jp1885

Feeling less battered and more well-dressed, Tony smiles in greeting.

"Hello Mrs. Fletcher, nice to see you again. Our party was... eventful. Tell me Mary (may I call you by your christian name?) , do you have any more of those nice cravats left in stock?"

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"It was certainly a blast," adds Liz, who has also come along. She too wants to make sure that Ember is okay, especially as she has met the girl and has some sympathy for her.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 am
by SunlessNick

Before the drive, Zara will take the chance to change back into her own clothes rather than what she was wearing at the cult compound. She also procures a bottle of gin, and imbibes quite heavily on while on the road, heedless of anyone suggesting otherwise (the others may prefer her to stay in the car while talking to the proprietor).

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Cravats? Or, you mean them funny-looking neckties. Hang on a minute, I might have some in the back." With that, she retreats to the rear of the store, where she fiddles with some keys until she is able to open a door that leads to what is evidently a storage room. She closes the door behind herself, then returns a minute or two later with a handful of brightly colored cloths.

"Here ya go. Gotta get rid of 'em somehow, so how about a dollar a pop, many as ya want."

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:15 pm
by jp1885

Noticing that the woman doesn't object to being called Mary Fletcher, Tony looks significantly at the others.

"Hmm... Let me see..."

He makes a great show of examining the neckties, sighing as if unable to make up his mind.

"Oh I don't know Mrs. Fletcher, they're all so... well, what do you think? This one or this one?" He holds a random pair of neckties up against his throat. "Or maybe this one?"

He smiles apologetically to his friends.

"Why don't you lot go and browse inside while Mary helps me decide? Maybe you'll find something interesting in the back maybe."

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hmm, yes," says Liz. "None of the things up front really work for me." She heads to the back.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:24 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara looks for an alley or something that might lead round to the back of the building. (She will be quite drunk by now).

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:45 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The proprietress isn't very well educated . . .INT = 7[dice]0[/dice]borderline failure on her part
Although she glances now and then, with a frown, at Liz approaching the back of the store, the woman remains distracted by Tony's feigned interest in his wares.

Liz is able to near the storage room, which is secured with a Yale lock. Meanwhile, the Zara, stumbling a bit under the influence of gin, finds a back door, which is kept locked in the same way.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:16 pm
by jp1885

Noticing the woman occasionally glancing at Liz, Tony seeks to keep her focussed on him.

"These are all very good cravats; I just don't know which one to choose. Knowing me I'll end up buying the bally lot! Such a shame you're going out of business. Not much call for fashion around here I assume? What will you and your family do?"

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Blocking the woman's view of the door with her body, Liz takes a pin from her hair and uses it to try to pick the lock, pretending to be looking at a rack of clothes along the back wall.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12 + 1[Discover Secrets] = 13) to pick the lock: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:19 pm
by Starspawn338
"I think they all look very impressive." Lew says as he browses off to the side. If he sees Mary start to go back, he will hold up a piece of clothing and distract her by asking how much it is.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:07 am
by SunlessNick

Zara looks for a window to peer through.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:42 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Noticing the woman occasionally glancing at Liz, Tony seeks to keep her focussed on him.

"These are all very good cravats; I just don't know which one to choose. Knowing me I'll end up buying the bally lot! Such a shame you're going out of business. Not much call for fashion around here I assume? What will you and your family do?"
"Movin'," she replies shortly, seemingly in some haste. "Know whatcha want? Gotta do some packin', you know."

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:46 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: "I think they all look very impressive." Lew says as he browses off to the side. If he sees Mary start to go back, he will hold up a piece of clothing and distract her by asking how much it is.

With the two men keeping her busy, Mary does not pay any more attention to what's going on in the back, just showing some signs of impatience.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:48 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara looks for a window to peer through.
The back of the building has no windows.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Blocking the woman's view of the door with her body, Liz takes a pin from her hair and uses it to try to pick the lock, pretending to be looking at a rack of clothes along the back wall.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12 + 1[Discover Secrets] = 13) to pick the lock: [dice]223779:0[/dice]
The door opens quietly, revealing a dark room, without windows, full of a jumble of large cardboard boxes, preventing a clear view of the interior.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:12 pm
by jp1885
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Movin'," she replies shortly, seemingly in some haste. "Know whatcha want? Gotta do some packin', you know."
"Oh of course, I mustn't detain you. Sorry, I can be such a muddle-head at times."

"I think I'll choose... Um.."

"Let me think..."

"Um..."

"Yes, I think... This- oh!"

Tony 'accidently' drops the neckties.

"Oh I'm such a silly sausage! Do please forgive me! Tell you what: help me pick the, up and I'll buy them all!"

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz slips into the room, closes the door quietly behind her, and feels around for a light switch.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While the proprietress is busy picking up the merchandise, Liz runs her hand along the wall, looking for a light switch.
Spoiler:
wisdom = 10 + 1 Discover Secrets + 3 Sharp Eyes = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Despite her cat-like eyes, enabling her to make out some details in the dark room, and an innate sense of where things are usually hidden, she fails to locate anything.
Spoiler:
something else: wis = 10 + 1 discover secrets = 11[dice]1[/dice]
Listening closely, she is able to detect a soft sound of breathing coming from somewhere behind the jumble of boxes.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:46 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara knocks softly on the door - loud enough to be heard from the room beyond, but not enough to reach the shop.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ember, is that you?" asks Liz softly. "It's me, Liz. We've met before."
OOC,Charisma roll (17 +3[Charming] = 20) to befriend [b]Ember[/b]. Beautiful probably wouldn't apply in the dark: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara knocks softly on the door - loud enough to be heard from the room beyond, but not enough to reach the shop.
The only response is a sort of shuffling noise, as of something being shifted around.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Ember, is that you?" asks Liz softly. "It's me, Liz. We've met before."
OOC,Charisma roll (17 +3[Charming] = 20) to befriend [b]Ember[/b]. Beautiful probably wouldn't apply in the dark: [dice]224028:0[/dice]
The only response is a quiet mumbling sound; the words, if any, impossible to make out.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm
by jp1885

Tony continues to faff about with the neckties.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz makes her way to the back door to let Zara inside.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
dex = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Making one's way through a room full of cardboard boxes, in the dark, isn't the easiest task in the world. Somewhere on the way to the back door, Liz knocks over a box, making quite a bit of noise. While Liz is opening the door, letting in more light -- and, incidentally, revealing the child known as Ember, seemingly asleep on a bare mattress in a corner of the room -- Mary Fletcher rushes inside, alarmed by the sound.

"What do you think you're doin'?" she cries.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:39 pm
by jp1885

Tony follows Mary back into the store, still clutching the neckties.

"Hey, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation. No doubt Liz was looking for something in particular."

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I was looking for the toilet," says Liz. "I thought maybe it was back here."
OOC,Charisma roll (17 + 3[Beautiful] + 3[Charming] = 23) to convince [b]Mary[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:49 pm
by SunlessNick
OOC:   Wisdom 11, -1 Drunk
Rolled 1D20: 19  
"We thought there might be someone in trouble," Zara blurts out.

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Apparently taken in, or at least ignoring, the explanation offered by Liz, Mary instead confronts Zara.

"Who opened that dang back door? Thievin', are ya? Ain't got nothin' worth stealin' here anyway, so ya better just skedaddle 'fore I fetches the law on ya. Scarin' my little girl," she adds, indicating Ember, still apparently asleep, "and she's sickly."

(One might notice that Mary's accent grows thicker when she's excited.)

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:34 am
by jp1885

"I suspect my friend is still a little worse for wear from the , er, party," Tony says, noticing Zara's intoxicated state and sighing inwardly. "No doubt she got bored waiting for us and decided to come looking. Isn't that right Zara?"

He cranes his neck around the others to get a look at Ember.

"Oh, I'm sorry. If I knew you had a sick child here I wouldn't have bothered you with these cravats. My friend Liz here knows a thing or two about medicine; maybe she could take a look at your daughter?"
Ignore this - made a mistake,[dice]0[/dice]
Charisma roll (13 -3 well spoken) to calm Mary down,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:52 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara nods in response to Tony's story.

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mary seems to accept Tony's explanation for Zara's appearance.

"Drink's the Devil's tool, young lady," she says sharply. "Sent my little girl's Daddy to an early grave, and you'll wind up the same way if you don't watch out!"

However, she rejects the offer of medical assistance.

"She don't need no doctorin', just some good, honest rest. Now y'all better be on your way."

During this speech, Ember rouses slightly, so that her eyes are partly open.

"Must get back," she says weakly. "He needs me."

A wisp of smoke rises from near her mattress.

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:40 pm
by jp1885

Noticing the smoke rising from Ember's vicinity, Tony hold his hands out in a placatory manner.

"Honest rest is all well and good Mary, but it's a little different than that isn't it? Can you smell the smoke? Do you want her to burn you again? Let us help you... please?"

The playboy detective is unsure if he has the right to separate the child from her mother, but whatever way this situation goes, it cannot be guaranteed that the girl has control over her powers and he has no wish to be trapped in another burning building!

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I can help your little girl," says Liz. "I have experience in dealing with these sorts of phenomena. And it can't be all that restful for her to sleep on a mattress on the floor. She should sleep in a bed."

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Alarmed by the smoke, Mary backs away from the child, who is slowly becoming fully awake.

"You think you know so much, then help me drive Satan out of her!"

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:09 am
by jp1885

"Madam, I don't think ol' Satan would be quite so obvious as this," Tony sighs wearily, "there's no black and white, as I seem to recall saying recently. What's happening to your daughter is something currently unknown to science, but, I think something that's part of her - like red hair or a stammer. Is there a family history of strange fires and the like?"

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:00 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara kneels down beside Ember. "Shhh. It's ok."

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Very well, I shall," says Liz, taking out her chalk. She draws a circle around Ember with it while she carefully recites "Klaatu barada nikto" to protect the girl from evil.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:20 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Madam, I don't think ol' Satan would be quite so obvious as this," Tony sighs wearily, "there's no black and white, as I seem to recall saying recently. What's happening to your daughter is something currently unknown to science, but, I think something that's part of her - like red hair or a stammer. Is there a family history of strange fires and the like?"
Mary Fletcher seems to ponder this question for a while, her attention partly drawn to the ritual performed by Liz.

"They say my grandma was a conjure woman, back in Kentucky, but I never knew her. My pappy was the seventh son of a seventh son, so maybe that's got somethin' to do with the child's strange ways. Might be why my Fred ran to drinkin'."

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:22 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara kneels down beside Ember. "Shhh. It's ok."
Spoiler:
CHA = 13; no Beautiful bonus, I think[dice]0[/dice]
The child merely glares at Zara and pouts. Meanwhile, tiny flames begin to appear surrounding her, not close enough to cause her any harm, at various places on the floor of the room, not yet within range of anything flammable, as if someone had tossed a handful of lit matches around the place.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:32 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Very well, I shall," says Liz, taking out her chalk. She draws a circle around Ember with it while she carefully recites "Klaatu barada nikto" to protect the girl from evil.
This appears to have some effect on the child, as she no longer says anything about getting back to the one who needs her.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 pm
by jp1885

Tony keeps one eye on Ember as he talks to Mary, mainly to stop her interfering in Liz's work but also to try and fix this whole situation.

"That might explain it," he muses. "I sympathise - kids are hard work enough at this age, even without pyrokinetic powers. You need to recognise that this is her, not the devil. Show her a mother's love. Work with her; think how she feels with all this weirdness going on."

"A daughter shouldn't be taken from her mother unless there's something harmful going on. Hey, if you two can get along, think of how much you'll save on matches."
He grins.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we're all friends here," says Liz with a smile to Ember. "You're protected from the forces of evil, and there's nothing to worry about." She hopes that by soothing the girl, she will stop inadvertently generating flames.
OOC,Charisma roll (17 + 3[Charming] = 20) to calm [b]Ember[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:18 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This seems to calm down the child, and the flames puff out.

"That's all fine and good," Mary says, "but what's gonna happen when she steps out of that hex circle?"

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's possible that the evil influence has departed," says Liz, "but you're right, it could return once the protection ends. I know who the source of it is, though." She addresses Ember. "He was calling you to him. Do you know where he wanted you to go? My friends and I can go there."

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:53 am
by Starspawn338
Lew watches from the doorway. There's not much he knows about kids and less about firestarters.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:16 am
by SunlessNick

Zara keeps her mouth shut too, since Liz and Tony seem to have chilled the mother and daughter out.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:45 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Ember seems calm, but a little confused.

"He was sick, but getting better. I could hear him calling me from a big building full of sick people and doctors somewhere close by. I can't hear him now."

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's good," says Liz with a smile. "The police must have taken him to hospital after they arrested him. He'll be in a weakened state, and his powers won't be very strong until he's gotten more rest."

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:42 pm
by jp1885

While Liz works on Ember, Tony tries to keep Mary calm, by keeping her occupied.

"Why don't I help you pack?" he asks. "Plus I still need to pay you for these neckerchiefs."

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:47 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Not one to refuse payment, Mary counts the neckties and calculates the price due.

Meanwhile, during the process of finishing packing, it is obvious that Ember hears the Master calling to her, in some telepathic way, whenever she sets foot outside the circle.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think it's best that you stay in the circle as long as you can," says Liz to Ember. "We'll see what we can do to stop him from calling you. Perhaps the same ritual will set him free from his demons."

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Now how in blazes am I gonna get the child outta this triple-cursed town if she can't get out of that hex circle?" Mary Fletcher grows impatient and scruffs at the chalk with her shoe.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:09 am
by jp1885

"Let's leave that to the expert, shall we?" Tony takes Mary by the arm and tries to gently but firmly lead her out of the storeroom.

"Let me buy you a coffee somewhere while Dr. North does her thing."

If Mary is compliant, he will indicate to Zara to keep an eye on things while Liz works. He will also try to palm Mary off onto the more affable Lew, so that he can return to provide assistance.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara will gopher for Liz if needed.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:44 pm
by Starspawn338
"Indeed Mary. I surely sympathize with your plight but it's far better to have the girl here protected in the circle rather then fighting to get back to that cursed man." Lew chimes in. "And what if she starts the place on fire. The police will never let you leave if they think Ember is a budding arsonist. Far better to let my friends sort things out and get your daughter some permanent relief from this malady."

Lew will try to walk Mary out of the back room as they talk.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, it only lasts about an hour," says Liz. "That's not going to be long enough, though. The man responsible is all the way back in Venice. I could stay here and keep refreshing it every hour until my friends do something about him, but I may be needed there. If he is possessed by an evil spirit, this same ritual may free him from it, and I'm the only one here who knows how to do it."

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After making this speech, Liz recalls that the so-called Master was taken to a local hospital after the incident in Inglewood. By this time, depending on his condition, he may still be there, or he may have been released, if the police don't connect him with the riots. In any case, it's not immediately obvious exactly where he is now. (Newspaper and television reports, which at least some of the investigators will have noticed, indicate that the affair is being treated just as a violent confrontation between pro- and anti-war demonstrators, with no mention of the Children of Light at all.)

Mary is led away, not without some grumbling, by the patient, reassuring Lew. They find a local coffee shop (not at all similar to the beatnik coffee houses that still exist in larger cities) where Mary, after several cups of strong, bitter brew, begins to bare her soul.

"I just don't know what to do with that gal," she admits. "Moved here and opened my shop to get her away from that pack of devil worshipers she got involved with back in Venice, only to have her run off with 'em again. The child scares me sometimes."

Meanwhile, Ember shows signs of obvious impatience with her confinement within the chalk circle.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:26 am
by jp1885

Leaving Mary in Lew's capable hands, Tony heads back to the store. Seeing Ember's obvious impatience, but not wishing to disturb Liz's work, he decides it's high time he found out what happened to the Master.

He seeks out the store's phone and, pulling out the business card given to him by the detective, gives the guy a call.

"Hi, Detective? Tony Patchpole - we spoke recently regarding that missing kid. Well, we've found her - she's back with her mum, but she's suffering from some kind of delusion. Joined a cult by all accounts - I think they were something to do with those riots at the Forum and fire at the draft office."

"Their leader - blonde pyromaniac guy calling himself The Master - has some sort of hold over her. I left him cuffed to a post during the scuffle but I think he got taken to hospital. Could you do some digging and find out what happened to him? We might be looking at more weird Embalmer-type stuff here, so you need to be careful."

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:07 pm
by SunlessNick

"I think I saw the spirit in the fire," Zara says to Liz. "Everything it touched burned hotter. But the master was already out by then, so I don't know if it's inside him or just talks to him."

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I suspected there was an evil spirit that was the source of his power," says Liz. "That confirms it. If I can perform the protection ritual on the Master, that will cut him off from it. It might even set him free, if he was merely meddling with forces he did not understand rather than a willing servant of evil." She addresses Ember. "I understand that you're bored, but you've got to remain in the circle for as long as its protection lasts. After that, you'll need to rely on your mother to look after you. She really does love you. You must resist the urge to go to him or to start fires. I know you have a strong will, and that will help. In the meantime, maybe you just need something to do. Can I get you a book, or a toy? Is there anything else you can think of that you can tell us about the Master?"
OOC,Charisma roll (17 + 3[Charming] = 20) to help [b]Ember[/b] be patient: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Leaving Mary in Lew's capable hands, Tony heads back to the store. Seeing Ember's obvious impatience, but not wishing to disturb Liz's work, he decides it's high time he found out what happened to the Master.

He seeks out the store's phone and, pulling out the business card given to him by the detective, gives the guy a call.

"Hi, Detective? Tony Patchpole - we spoke recently regarding that missing kid. Well, we've found her - she's back with her mum, but she's suffering from some kind of delusion. Joined a cult by all accounts - I think they were something to do with those riots at the Forum and fire at the draft office."

"Their leader - blonde pyromaniac guy calling himself The Master - has some sort of hold over her. I left him cuffed to a post during the scuffle but I think he got taken to hospital. Could you do some digging and find out what happened to him? We might be looking at more weird Embalmer-type stuff here, so you need to be careful."
"I'll call in a couple of favors. I'll call ya back. Meanwhile, just sit tight."

Not too much later, the phone rings. It seems the Master was taken to the giant Los Angeles Medical Center, under tight security. The place is downtown, next to the University of Southern California medical school. One of the nation's biggest teaching hospitals.

"I can't find out too much," the detective adds, "but it seems they're studying him because there's something weird about his brain. The dope I got from one of the cops is that they won't press any charges against him as long as he co-operates. Got him locked up tight, no visitors."

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I suspected there was an evil spirit that was the source of his power," says Liz. "That confirms it. If I can perform the protection ritual on the Master, that will cut him off from it. It might even set him free, if he was merely meddling with forces he did not understand rather than a willing servant of evil." She addresses Ember. "I understand that you're bored, but you've got to remain in the circle for as long as its protection lasts. After that, you'll need to rely on your mother to look after you. She really does love you. You must resist the urge to go to him or to start fires. I know you have a strong will, and that will help. In the meantime, maybe you just need something to do. Can I get you a book, or a toy? Is there anything else you can think of that you can tell us about the Master?"
Somewhat mollified, Ember points to a pile of paperbacks in one corner of the room. They appear to be mostly science fiction novels.

"Get me the third one from the top," she says.

This proves to be something called The Fireclown, newly published in the USA, by one Michael Moorcock. A quick look suggests that the plot involves a future revolutionary using displays of fire as part of his efforts to overthrow the establishment.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:55 pm
by jp1885

Hearing that the Master is behaving himself, Tony sighs wth relief.

"That's good news Detective, thanks for letting me know. Listen, this may sound freaky, but the dude can create fire from his bare hands, so be prepared for trouble."

He tries to remember how Liz drew the circle around Ember, so that he can ask the Detective to do one, but alas his memory fails him.
INT 7 or WIS 11 - whichever you think best,[dice]1[/dice]
Mistake - rolled a d100!,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz retrieves the book and hands it to Ember with a smile. "I love science fiction too," she says. "I grew up on it, and it inspired me to become a scientist. I've not read this one yet, but it sounds fascinating."

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Tony's effort to relate the instructions on creating the protective circle to the detective are of no avail. It seems that it's not enough to have "book learning," so to speak; one simply has to have the knack for it, as Liz does.

Things seem to quiet down for a while, as Ember settles down with the well-thumbed paperback. After a while, the unmistakable scent of smoke fills the room, although there is no apparent source for it. Ember seems oblivious to it, and there is no visible sign of smoke nor of flame. Not right away, at least; then, almost like a mirage, a blurred, half-seen, translucent, ash-gray shape appears in mid-air. It's very hard to make out its exact form; looking at it directly seems to make it fade into a shapeless smudge. Seen from the corner of one's eye, it resembles a blob-like mass with multiple limbs or tentacles protruding in all directions, wriggling back and forth, growing shorter or longer, apparently at random. Most of these appear to be reaching for Ember, but they are unable to penetrate the area above the protective circle. As time goes by, its movements grow more agitated, and the scent of smoke grows stronger.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:41 am
by jp1885

The scent of smoke brings Tony back to the storeroom. Alarmed by what he sees, he looks around for a fire extinguisher; figuring that the entity is fire-based.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz stays in the circle with Ember for now, though she knows that if the shop catches fire they will be forced to leave. She racks her brain trying to think of what she might know of this being and its weaknesses.
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 + 1[Esoteric Knowledge] = 15): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After a brief search, Tony is able to locate a small, foam-emitting fire extinguisher, of the aim-and-spray type.

From her extensive experience with the arcane, Liz is aware that the half-seen thing hovering about the room fits the description of a fire elemental; or, to use the term preferred by mystics, a salamander. Whether it can be considered truly living or not is a matter of debate. In any case, persons who claim to have encountered them, and survived to tell the tale, report that they seem to both produce and feed upon, at least in a metaphoric sense, flame. They appear to be attracted to pyrotics; persons with the telekinetic power to produce fire. The relationship between salamanders and pyrotics is not fully understood, but it appears to be some kind of symbiosis. Most self-proclaimed authorities state that they are not very intelligent; more like animals than people. They are sometimes aggressive, sometimes passive, always unpredictable.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:49 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara's not sure whether entering the circle will mess with it (she's heard that leaving them can), so she joins Tony instead.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:00 pm
by jp1885

Fire extinguisher readied, Tony steps in front of Zara, shielding her from the entity.

"Liz," he whispers, "what is that thing?"

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's a fire elemental," Liz whispers back, "also called a salamander." She explains what she knows about the thing.

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Frustrated in its apparent attempts to join Ember -- who is, by this time, also reaching out to it with her small arms, but seems unable to touch it -- the being expands in size and density, until it completely covers the enchanted circle, surrounding it like an obscuring cloud of the smog for which Los Angeles is famous. From within, Ember can be heard speaking in a friendly manner to it.

"You're back! I missed you. Can we leave now?"

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:51 pm
by jp1885

"Friend of yours?" Tony asks Ember, hoping to calm the situation.

"Tell us about him, or her."

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, please do," says Liz.
OOC,Charisma roll (17 + 3[Charming] = 20) to get [b]Ember[/b] to talk about the fire elemental: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Ember giggles a bit.

"Oh, it's not a boy or a girl, I don't think. It's more like, oh, I don't know, like a friendly cloud, like in a story. I used to see it when I was just little. It helped me learn how to make the pretty fire. I help it, too, when it's hungry. Now it wants to help me go find the Master. Please, can't I go? I don't like it here."

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am
by jp1885

"It's not the nicest place is it? But would you mind staying just for a short while more?"

Risking a grilling, Tony moves a little closer to the child and squats down to eye level.

"I've never seen anything like your friend before and I'd like to know more about it. I think it'd scare your mom, and you wouldn't want that. What does it eat?"

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm
by SunlessNick

"There are spirits that haunt me too," Zara says to Ember.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"It feeds on fire," says Liz. "That must be why it likes you so much, Ember. Have you always been able to make fire, even before you met the Master?"

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Just a little bit," Ember confesses. "Dad got scared when he saw my friend, but it wouldn't hurt anybody unless they were mean to me. One time, Dad had too much beer and gave me a spanking because he thought I was playing with matches. My friend showed up and gave him a burn. Not too bad, but Dad drank a lot after that and finally went away. I thought it would come help me when Mom took me away from the Master, but I guess it was busy doing something else. Now it's real hungry, and wants me to go with it. I don't know what might happen if it gets mad."

Looking curiously at Zara, she asks "What's your friend look like, lady?"

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I'm glad we're your friends too, Ember," says Liz. "Beings such as your friend can be unpredictable, so there's no telling what it will do if you don't go with it. But do you really want to?"

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:19 pm
by SunlessNick

"There are two of them," Zara says. "But they're not my friends. I... I sometimes see things that are going to happen. They're interested in me for that - they want to use me."

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:48 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Well, I'm glad we're your friends too, Ember," says Liz. "Beings such as your friend can be unpredictable, so there's no telling what it will do if you don't go with it. But do you really want to?"
"Sure. It makes me feel so peaceful and powerful, like I'm really somebody, you know?"

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"There are two of them," Zara says. "But they're not my friends. I... I sometimes see things that are going to happen. They're interested in me for that - they want to use me."
Ember closes her eyes for a moment and seems to be concentrating.

"One of them stopped by friend from feeding. It wants you to feed it now. Don't you think that sounds fair?"

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"It seems to me that if one of them stopped your friend from feeding," says Liz, "it should be the one to feed your friend. I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to feed it adequately, and we might get burned in the process."
OOC,Charisma roll (17 + 3[Charming] = 20) to convince [b]Ember[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:27 am
by jp1885

Ember, how do you feed it? Light a fire? What happens, does it suck up the flames? If we were to light a small fire, would we be in danger?”

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"It seems to me that if one of them stopped your friend from feeding," says Liz, "it should be the one to feed your friend. I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to feed it adequately, and we might get burned in the process."
OOC,Charisma roll (17 + 3[Charming] = 20) to convince [b]Ember[/b]: [dice]224836:0[/dice]
"That's OK with me, I guess, but you better ask that other lady. I can't even see what she's talking about."

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Ember, how do you feed it? Light a fire? What happens, does it suck up the flames? If we were to light a small fire, would we be in danger?”
"I guess that depends on whether it likes you or not."

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 pm
by SunlessNick

"They aren't always with me," Zara says in response to Ember saying she can't see them. "Like I said, they aren't my friends."

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well it likes you, and you like us," says Liz, "so that should count for something."

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am
by jp1885

"Well, let's hope it likes us..."

Gingerly putting down the extinguisher, Tony sets one of the neckties alight and holds it out at arm's length towards the creature.

"Here salamander..."

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The vague, smoky shape becomes slightly more opaque, and a protrusion, something like a tentacle, extends to the necktie. At the point of contact, the flame is extinguished; simultaneously, the shape glows, as if from an interior fire, and increases in size. At the same time, Ember becomes more animated, laughing and jumping up and down, and producing a tiny flame from the tip of her right index finger.

"That tasted good," she says. "My friend says thanks, mister."

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Fascinating," says Liz. "Ember, your powers seem to grow stronger when your friend feeds, and you help it to feed. It's called a symbiotic relationship, where you help each other."

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:28 am
by jp1885

As Liz talks to Ember, Tony watches the feeding process with fascination.

"I've never seen anything like this," he whispers to Zara. "Clearly trying to separate the girl from the creature would be an extremely dangerous idea, but allowing the child to grow stronger could also prove problematic. Perhaps if we sever her link with the Master, then she and the salamander can be allowed to live in peace?"

He turns to Ember.

"I'm glad your friend is pleased. Tell me, does is it as devoted to the Master as it is to you?"

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"It needs me to help find the Master, so it can feed all it wants. Me and him are kind of like linked together, you know? I think we should go find him now."

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 am
by jp1885

“The trouble, my dear, is that the Master appears rather keen on hurting people. He does seem to like burning folks. Think of all the good things you could do with your powers without his influence, hey?”

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 pm
by SunlessNick

"And he didn't care much what happened to you when you disappeared," Zara adds. "We're the only ones who came to find you."

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, and it doesn't make me feel any better that he's in the hands of the American government," says Liz. "They'll want to exploit his powers and use them in Vietnam. Just think of all the horrible things they could do if he could draw on your friend's powers too. They'd probably burn down all the jungles if they could, and they wouldn't care who got burned with them. This lot are the sort who not only invented atomic bombs, they used the bloody things - twice!"

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Listening with a serious expression to these arguments, Ember seems to come to a decision.

"I guess you're right. It was fun, but I don't want to hurt anybody. I better go with Mom, huh?"

Whether because it is not satisfied, or because it reacts to Ember's mood, the smoky, translucent shape fades away, the few remaining visible tendrils drifting off in the breeze.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:15 am
by jp1885

"You're a very good girl," Tony says, relieved. "It'd be for the best and we can help your mom get used to your abilities so that she doesn't have such a downer over them."

A thought occurs to him, making the playboy detective grin.

"Hey, maybe you should become a firefighter when you're older. Your friend could suck up any fire you're called out to!"

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:03 pm
by SunlessNick

"That's a groovy thought!" Zara says.

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite," says Liz with a grin. "Girls can do anything boys can do."

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Hey, all you folks out there in Radio Land! Guess what's purple and plugs into the wall? That's right, the Electric Prunes! And here's their latest far out hit, coming at you to blow your mind!