Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Track Four: Light My Fire

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz is stronger than she looks. She manages to sling Lew over her shoulder to carry him outside into the fresh air.
OOC,Strength roll (12) to carry [b]Lew[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
Tony and Zara in the smoke-filled building; both have CON = 8[dice]0[/dice]
Just as Lew is being carried out, in all the confusion Tony and Zara rush in bravely and also succumb to the smoke, collapsing to the floor. (Probably nobody could really see what was going on, due to all the smoke, explaining the chaotic situation.) At least one of the dazed, retreating rioters must have found a pay phone, because the sound of sirens can be heard at a distance.

During all this, Lew, Liz, Tony, and Zara caught a glimpse inside the building, among the smoldering papers, flames, and smoke, of a strange, translucent, hovering shape, floating throughout the place, extruding extensions that, at times, appeared like limbs, seeming to intensify the fire wherever it happened to be.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Even as he slumps coughing to the floor, Tony can't help but stare at the strange entity. Was this another of the Master's abilities or a physical manifestation of the Lord of Light?

Do what you will with me, he says in his head. But spare the others.

Maybe, of course, he's just losing it. It's funny what goes through your mind in times of extremis.

The bad spelling at the clothes store... Of course... Mumsie was there all the time...

Perhaps it's this sudden realisation that makes him determined to get out alive, but regardless he makes an effort to stay conscious. Slithering on his belly like a snake to stay below the smoke, he tries to crawl.
Last edited by jp1885 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

Carson has seen enough. The shady government agent turns away and disappears into the crowd, to return to headquarters and make his report on all that has transpired.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Between her fear that she'll die if she passes out from the smoke, and the sight of the strange spectral figure, Zara quietly says, "Help us." - she doesn't know whether the thing that haunts her would respond to such a plea, only that it wants her for something.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz carefully lays Lew down on a bench so that he can recover, ready to guide the firefighters once they arrive. She wants to go back in for her other friends, but she knows that doing so alone risks all of them being trapped in the burning building.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As the fire rages, the strange, half-seen figure slowly fades into nothingness, as if it has never been there. The flames and smoke, at the same time, reduce in size to some extent, allowing those inside to escape. As time passes, the firefighters are able to bring the blaze under control, and provide medical care for those suffering from smoke inhalation. The Master, still in an unconscious state, is taken from Tony's informal custody, the handcuffs are removed, and he is taken to the nearest hospital in an ambulance, accompanied by police, who have plenty of questions to ask. No lives are lost, but there's plenty of damage to the records inside the building.

Once fully recovered, Zara will be able to relate a strange vision, or hallucination, she experienced while in a half-conscious state. She seemed to see -- or perhaps it would be more accurate to says "sense" -- a man, in very old-fashioned clothes, appear, his image wavering and uncertain. This apparition seemed to convey a message, although not in words, that he would soon demand a heavy price for having driven off the thing that threatened her. She has the feeling that this figure, if it had any real existence at all, acted more out of a sense of possession rather than altruism.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Oblivious to Zara's vision, Tony brushes the soot off his costume.

"Well that's the deposit gone..." he croaks.

He watches as the Master's slumped form is led away and hopes that the police will be able to handle his powers when he wakes up. He tries to shout out a warning, but he has inhaled too much smoke to make much of a noise.

He turns his back on the others to cough up some unpleasantness, before facing them once more.

"So what now? Is the cult finished? What about the girl, Ember? I had the realisation that her mother might have ran the clothing store we visited, but do we need to follow up that lead?"
Last edited by jp1885 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"It doesn't look like Ember went with her willingly," Zara says. "We should see if she's all right." She seems subdued, though that is easily explained by what's just happened.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew sits on the ground using oxygen. He nods in response to Zara without speaking. He's not cut out for all this action but he has no desire to see an innocent girl taken against her will.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Based on Tony's hunch, the group drives back to Barstow, taking enough time to recover physically and mentally from their ordeal. At the Mad Hatter Boutique, all seems normal, although most of the merchandise has been sold or otherwise disposed of. When the investigators arrive, the proprietor greets them.

"Welcome back. Last day of business, then I'll be moving on. Hope you had a good time at the party. Looking for anything in particular?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Feeling less battered and more well-dressed, Tony smiles in greeting.

"Hello Mrs. Fletcher, nice to see you again. Our party was... eventful. Tell me Mary (may I call you by your christian name?) , do you have any more of those nice cravats left in stock?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It was certainly a blast," adds Liz, who has also come along. She too wants to make sure that Ember is okay, especially as she has met the girl and has some sympathy for her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Before the drive, Zara will take the chance to change back into her own clothes rather than what she was wearing at the cult compound. She also procures a bottle of gin, and imbibes quite heavily on while on the road, heedless of anyone suggesting otherwise (the others may prefer her to stay in the car while talking to the proprietor).
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Cravats? Or, you mean them funny-looking neckties. Hang on a minute, I might have some in the back." With that, she retreats to the rear of the store, where she fiddles with some keys until she is able to open a door that leads to what is evidently a storage room. She closes the door behind herself, then returns a minute or two later with a handful of brightly colored cloths.

"Here ya go. Gotta get rid of 'em somehow, so how about a dollar a pop, many as ya want."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Noticing that the woman doesn't object to being called Mary Fletcher, Tony looks significantly at the others.

"Hmm... Let me see..."

He makes a great show of examining the neckties, sighing as if unable to make up his mind.

"Oh I don't know Mrs. Fletcher, they're all so... well, what do you think? This one or this one?" He holds a random pair of neckties up against his throat. "Or maybe this one?"

He smiles apologetically to his friends.

"Why don't you lot go and browse inside while Mary helps me decide? Maybe you'll find something interesting in the back maybe."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hmm, yes," says Liz. "None of the things up front really work for me." She heads to the back.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara looks for an alley or something that might lead round to the back of the building. (She will be quite drunk by now).
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
The proprietress isn't very well educated . . .INT = 7[dice]0[/dice]borderline failure on her part
Although she glances now and then, with a frown, at Liz approaching the back of the store, the woman remains distracted by Tony's feigned interest in his wares.

Liz is able to near the storage room, which is secured with a Yale lock. Meanwhile, the Zara, stumbling a bit under the influence of gin, finds a back door, which is kept locked in the same way.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Noticing the woman occasionally glancing at Liz, Tony seeks to keep her focussed on him.

"These are all very good cravats; I just don't know which one to choose. Knowing me I'll end up buying the bally lot! Such a shame you're going out of business. Not much call for fashion around here I assume? What will you and your family do?"

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”