Page 1 of 1

Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
What with one thing and another, the investigators are happy to see Ember (or whatever her real name is) and her mother take off to start a new life together. Nothing more is heard about the Master, at least not from any normal sources of information, and the riots at the stadium and draft board in Inglewood are dismissed as the usual unrest at anti-war protests, all too common these days.

Things are fairly quiet for a while, at least compared to what's been going on lately. Back at the Sospiri, they can share their experiences and speculate about what it all means.

In particular, during casual conversation one evening, they discover that they all had the same dream, although some of the details differed from person to person. In brief, they all saw a man dressed in an old-fashioned military uniform, which at least a few are able to identify as that worn by British soldiers during the Napoleonic Wars. The fellow seems to be demanding something from each of them, but, as often happens in dreams, his words were unintelligible. With a growing sense of concern, the investigators come to the conclusion that, somehow or other, they need to figure out what this portends.

Re: Track Five: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:13 am
by jp1885

“Dashed odd,” muses a freshly-groomed Tony. “Us all having the same dream like that. Military chap kinda reminded me of someone... Ah yes!”

He fishes inside his jacket, producing the sketch that Zara had drawn before their encounter with the Master.

“I wonder...?”

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"My thoughts exactly," says Liz. "A bit of historical research is in order, but we need more to go on. I could review my ancestor's memoirs, perhaps."

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:02 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara is nursing a gin at the Sospiri, but is making some effort to take it slow. "I saw him once before too, at the fire in the draft board," she says. "When it was getting heavy for Tony and me, I asked for help. I guess he did help us - that must be what Ember was talking about. He said I'd have to pay for it somehow - but I didn't think he'd want something from you too. I'm sorry."

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:52 pm
by jp1885

Waving aside Zara's worries, Tony sips his wine, wincing afterwards (oh for a decent Claret!)

"A bit of research wouldn't go amiss Liz, and if the chap saved me from being burnt to a crisp, I suppose I owe him one. What's the deal with you and these mysterious figures Zara?"

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:15 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara's answer is slow, as if she's not used to laying it out like this. "There's one that's been with me a long time. I don't really know what it is, but it wants me - to own me - the way I see things. Sometimes it helps me, sometimes it hurts me - takes away something in my life that's not about my art. The guy, maybe he's the same. I don't know - he's new. I'll be back in a tick, I need another gin - anyone else want anything?"

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This soldier chap may be some sort of spirit," says Liz. "Perhaps the ghost of an actual British soldier from a century and a half ago, or perhaps it just takes that form. Thanks, Zara. I don't suppose they serve Guinness?"

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While examining the extensive -- and, some might say, difficult to accept as entirely factual -- memoirs of one Henry North, physician and thirteenth Earl of Dunwich, a learned man of the late Eighteenth and early Nineteenth Century, Liz comes across a description of a certain Captain William Palliser, a soldier with whom Lord Dunwich shared many curious adventures. What became of the Captain after these experiences is not recorded. From the detailed -- indeed, scientific -- description of the fellow left by Lord Dunwich, he seems to resemble the figure encountered in the shared dream in many details.

It remains to be seen in what manner the restless spirit of the late Captain might be contacted. A seance? A consultation with a local psychic? Perhaps some other way?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:15 am
by jp1885

Tony raises an eyebrow at Liz's tales of her ancestor, then grins.

"Frankly my dear, if I hadn't already encountered embalming monsters, walking skeletons, pyronetics and fire elementals, I'd say you were crazy. Zara, are you able to communicate with these entities?"

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:11 pm
by SunlessNick

"Not like a conversation," Zara saya. "They know what I say to them, and sometimes I can feel when they're angry or something."

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew nurses his tonic water and ponders what is being said. "I had no idea when I met all of you that we'd be encountering all these fantastical situations. However, when it comes to mediums and contact with the spirit world, that's something that I have investigated in the past. While I wouldn't describe myself as a true believer, I've always kept an open mind. He offers. "I know a psychic that's done readings for me in the past. Perhaps she could help. Her name is Jeane Dixon."

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's a thought," says Liz. "I know in theory how to conduct a seance, but I've never actually tried it before. Another thing we can do is try lucid dreaming. I can implant post-hypnotic suggestions in us - in myself as well, through self-hypnosis - so that when we dream, we become aware that we are dreaming and can take control of the dream. Then we can communicate with Captain Palliser. My initial impression when I first saw the drawing was right, it is he. There's no mistaking my ancestor's description. He is quite the handsome chap. Had a way with the ladies from what I've read in the memoirs. We can also do further research on him now we know his name. If he left something unfinished in life, it would help to know what that is." She smiles at Tony. "I've known for some time that there is more to the world than meets the eye, though madness does run in my family, and my ancestor had a reputation for it as well. Still, I have found things that corroborate some of his accounts. I grew up in his castle and explored every inch of it I could find. I never did find that hidden chamber that's supposed to contain the Brazen Head, guarded by a golem, though I'm sure there are secret passages and hidden underground rooms I've never discovered there. It's probably for the best, though. He did warn that the Brazen Head should remain concealed until the end of the world."

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lew is able to have a brief phone conversation with Jeane Dixon, now world-famous for her prediction of the assassination of President Kennedy. After casually mentioning that the Soviet Union will be the first nation to put a man on the Moon, she considers the matter at hand.
Spoiler:
In this universe, let's assume that Dixon had genuine psychic powers, and a WIS of, say, 16[dice]0[/dice]
After meditating for a while, Dixon admits defeat.

"There is something blocking my vision. It seems that the entity you describe is trying to hide from me, with, I must confess, a great deal of success."

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While arrangements for the seance are made, the investigators undergo the process of hypnosis and lucid dreaming suggested by Liz. The effort is successful, as it is well known that almost anyone who is willing to try can learn lucid dreaming.

That night, each of the party encounters the figure of Captain Palliser in their dreams. In the lucid state, they are able to communicate directly with him. No doubt each person will have something different to say, but, inevitably, each will inquire as to his reason for contacting them. The answer to each is expressed in the same words.

"I must have a body again, so that I may have vengeance!"

Upon further questioning, combined with research into some of the lesser known chronicles of early California, it seems that Captain Palliser, at a greatly advanced age, many years after his adventures with Lord Dunwich, made the hazardous trip around Cape Horn to the New World, proof that his bold nature had not deserted him with the passage of time. Records of the time -- in Spanish, of course -- indicate that the Captain, in search of new experiences, arrived in the town of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora de los Angeles de Porciuncula not long after Mexico won its independence from Spain. The available information ends in a dramatic way, as Captain Palliser was murdered by person or persons unknown, and buried in an undisclosed location.

Meanwhile, a customer of Sospiri, overhearing some of what has been said, hands them a business card, decorated with paisley designs in scarlet and purple, bearing the words MADAME ZENOBIA and a local address for something called the Pacific Spiritualist Association.

"Maybe she can help you," the woman says. "She was able to let me talk to my Uncle Fred."

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:06 pm
by jp1885

Tony takes the card with gracious thanks, despite being in a somewhat grumpy mood (he had been taking the advantage of his lucid dream to explore the bedrooms of Liz’s castle, accompanied by the good doctor, when Captain Pallister turned up just as things were becoming interesting).

“One assumes the poor chap wants to possess one of us to pursue his vengeance, but surely his killer must be long dead by now.”

He pauses, remembering the wide range of historical costumes worn by the victims of the Embalmer.

“Or maybe not... Perhaps a chat with this Madame Zenobia is in order. Also we should learn as much as we can about the gallant soldier and find out where he’s buried.”

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:30 pm
by SunlessNick

"Yeah," Zara agrees.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's worth a try," says Liz. "We can find his remains, but they'll just be bones after over a century. Of course, he may have something buried with him with more information. Dr. Henry North did experiments with the reanimation of the dead, but I don't know if he ever had any success. Even so, there wouldn't be much of a body left to reanimate. I suppose we could try a recently dead body, or maybe build a robot body for him, but I've no idea how to put him inside it."

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Pacific Spiritualist Association proves to be a small storefront located on one of the back streets of Venice. Heavy velvet curtains block the window facing the street. Upon entering, a set of chimes attached to the door announce the arrival of a visitor. The front room is filled with bean bags and ottomans, most of which are occupied by one or more cats. The scent of incense fills the room. Illumination is provided by multiple candles, as well as a few lava lamps. Upon the walls are astrological posters, charts of chiromancy, and the like.

From behind a set of beaded curtains emerges a woman of middle years, dark-skinned, with elaborately beaded braids reaching nearly to her waist. She wears a loose, brightly colored, floor-length tie-dyed dress, multiple beaded necklaces, too many rings and bracelets to count, and nearly as many anklets above her bare feet. She bows her head to the new arrivals while maintaining a serious expression.

"I am Zenobia. How may I assist you?"

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 am
by jp1885

"Madam Zenobia - a pleasure."

Tony bows.

"We'd like to contact someone from beyond the veil, if we may."

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew notes the lack of comfortable seating and stands just inside the doorway. "We seek information about a restless spirit." He offers.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 pm
by SunlessNick

"He's called William," Zara adds.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"We have a drawing of him, if it helps," says Liz.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Zenobia nods and accepts the drawing.

"I see. An ancestor from some time ago, judging from his clothing. Please enter."

She draws aside the beaded curtain, allowing the others to enter the inner room before her. Within is a large round table, with a crystal ball before one of the half dozen or so chairs encircling it. This room is even more dimly lit than the one outside, the light coming from a single oil lamp suspended from the ceiling. Just beyond the beaded curtain is a fishbowl on a pedestal, with a handwritten card taped to it, reading LOVE OFFERINGS. There are a few dollar bills in the fishbowl.

Once everyone is inside the room, Zenobia takes her place in the chair before the crystal ball.

"Please be seated and join hands. I must contact my spirit guide."

She stares at the crystal ball for several minutes. Suddenly her head drops forward, as if she is in a faint. She soon recovers, however, and sits up straight.

In a much deeper voice, she says "Gray Eagle listens. Speak!"

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:11 am
by jp1885

Tony can't help roll his eyes as 'Grey Eagle' speaks. An Indian spirit guide? Really? Though still prepared to keep an open mind (he has recently encountered stranger things after all), he wonders if he and his friends are being had.

"We wish to contact the man in the drawing," he tells the spirit, not wishing to give too much information away, lest Madam Zenobia uses it to embellish any trickery.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz holds hands with Tony and Zara. While she knows that there are people with genuine spiritual powers, she is also aware that there are charlatans, and she observes carefully to try to determine which one Madame Zenobia is.
OOC,Wisdom roll (10 + 1[Esoteric Knowledge] = 11) to see if this is genuine: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:15 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew will sit down and puts his hands out to either side to complete the circle. He enjoys doing things like this but he also observes carefully to ensure that he isn't being taken advantage of.
OOC,Wisdom 10 + 3 (Wily) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:21 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lew:
Spoiler:
You've seen phonies like this before, and Madame Zenobia shows all the signs of being one.
Liz:
Spoiler:
Either she's for real, or is a very good actress. You can't quite tell yet.
Everybody else present:
Spoiler:
Make a Wisdom roll, with appropriate adjustments, if you want to try to find out if Madame is a charlatan or not.
In the deep voice, Madame Zenobia cries out, raising her eyes to the ceiling.

"William! There are those here who wish to hear you, from beyond the veil! Give us a sign!"

From no obvious source, there comes the sound of a wailing flute, as if from a great distance. With the same hollow, almost echoing effect, a man's voice is heard.

"This is William. Fear not, my friends. Everything is beautiful here, and we are all at peace in this higher plane. I sense that you have questions about the life beyond. Ask, and I will answer as best as I can to those who have not passed beyond the illusion of Earthly existence."

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:09 pm
by jp1885
Wisdom 11,[dice]0[/dice]
Tony frowns, sensing charlantry.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Everybody else present:
Spoiler:
Make a Wisdom roll, with appropriate adjustments, if you want to try to find out if Madame is a charlatan or not.
OOC:   Wisdom 11, +1 Perceptive, -3 Emotional (I figure that might make it harder to judge this situation objectively).
Rolled 1D20: 6, success.  
Zara might not be able to sense the spiritual the way Liz can, but she knows what it is to be touched by it.
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:From no obvious source, there comes the sound of a wailing flute, as if from a great distance. With the same hollow, almost echoing effect, a man's voice is heard.

"This is William. Fear not, my friends. Everything is beautiful here, and we are all at peace in this higher plane. I sense that you have questions about the life beyond. Ask, and I will answer as best as I can to those who have not passed beyond the illusion of Earthly existence."
And also she rolls her eyes slightly at hearing this, given the things William has already said. She decides to mess with Zenobia a bit - "You told me you had seen the face of the man I would marry."

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz listens with skepticism, as William had not seemed at peace in her dream.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In response to Zara's inquiry, Zenobia replies -- or whoever might be speaking through her, in the deep voice -- in this manner:

"Ah, yes, your future husband will be--"

Before she can complete her statement, the oil lamp crashes into the table, sending the crystal ball rolling to the floor, where, presumably, it shatters into multiple pieces; presumably, because now the room is in total darkness.

Shrieking in her usual, high voice, Madame Zenobia shouts out "What the--"

"Silence!"

The voice is that of a man, not previously heard, with a British accent.

"Mountebank! I'll have no truck with such!"

Unseen but heard, somebody rushes in. Another man's voice, much higher and with a New York accent, is heard.

"What's goin' on, Shirley? I thought we had the marks all set--"

"I will be reborn!"
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
From another part of the room, where Madame Zenobia was last seen, the same booming voice emerges.

"I am here!"

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 pm
by Starspawn338
"And now we're getting somewhere." Lew says. "Captain? Is that you?"

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:55 pm
by jp1885

"What the Dickens!?"

Tony stands up and fumbles for a lightswitch.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara lets go of Lew and Liz and backs up from the table. "What is it you want with me?" she says raggedly, as if trying not to yell.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz remains calm. "Captain William Palliser, I presume," she says. "You were a friend of my ancestor, Dr. Henry North, thirteenth Earl of Dunwich. I'm Dr. Liz North, his great-great-great-great-granddaughter. My father is the eighteenth Earl of Dunwich, which I suppose makes me Lady Elizabeth, but there's no need for formality. I'd like to help you, if I can."

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After a few moments of stumbling around in the dark, Tony finds a light switch. Madame Zenobia, eyes wide open, is in an apparent trance. The voice, presumably that of Captain Palliser, comes from her. The man who ran into the room, a short, balding little fellow, takes a look around and then leaves quickly through a set of curtains in the back.

To those to addressed him:

Lew: "Indeed, it is I, though I know not you, sir, nor this gentleman who creates light with the touch of a finger."

Zara: "For whatever reason the Fates decree, it was through you that I was able to communicate with the mortal world. Now, here in the body of this fraud who possessed powers unsuspected -- although it pleases me little to wear the body of a Moor, and a woman at that! -- I have come to claim my vengeance!"

Liz: "I recall His Lordship well, my Lady. He and I shared many a curious adventure. Now I find myself a restless spirit, doomed to torment between this world and the next, until I have discovered the place in New Spain wherein lie my bones, and bring to justice the descendants of those who murdered me!"

To all: "One clue have I, granted by the unseen powers that have tasked me with this burden. There is a student of natural philosophy, not unlike the late Lord Dunwich, not far from here. He keeps body and soul together through amusements designed to please children and the common masses, similar to our own Punch-and-Judy shows. He has created a nostrum which reveals things unseen. I sense he will be the key to locating my remains, and my killers. Find him!"

With the peculiar combination of science and puppetry, the investigators quickly realize that this can only be a certain Doctor Maximus Honeydew, proprietor of the Luminescent Emporium, and known to have done research into drugs with effects on the psyche.

It may not come as a surprise that Honeydew's theater, obscure to the masses but appreciated by those of a bohemian nature, occupies a formerly abandoned building in an area of Venice off the beaten path. Perhaps taking in one of his performances would be a good way to learn something about the fellow.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 am
by jp1885

Tony is rather taken aback by all of this - could this really be the spirit of Captain Pallister?

"It's called electricity sir - one of the many marvels of modern times that you'll have to get used to while you temporarily inhabit this poor woman's body."

He puts an emphasis on the word 'temporarily'.

"While I'm happy to help you find your mortal remains, do you really think that avenging yourself on the innocent descendants of your murderer will accomplish anything? It's not as if they killed you themselves is it?" He grins a worried grin. "At least I assume that's the case."

"Something to think about anyway. I know little of the chap you speak of - Dr. Honeydew as I recall - but if he can help you, then I'm sure we can take you to him. Oh yes, prepare to encounter another wonder of the age - the automobile!"

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:20 am
by SunlessNick

"I think I've been to one of his shows," Zara adds. "It was tuff." To William Palliser, she says, "We can help find your bones, but whoever killed you will be dead by now." (Though she remembers the Embalmer's hints at being of impossible age).

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've heard of Dr. Honeydew," says Liz. "He is well known in academic circles, though his reputation is not the best. Then again, neither was my ancestor's. We shall seek him out and enlist his help to find your earthly remains. I doubt you will be able to inhabit them again after all this time, though it depends upon how well preserved they are. If not, perhaps there is a way to make a body for you that does not belong to someone else. The late Lord Dunwich did some experimentation in the reanimation of dead tissue, and I have his research notes - and modern technology at my disposal that he lacked. He did use electricity in these experiments, believing that it could endow the spark of life. Or perhaps I can assemble a mechanical body for you powered by electricity. Electricity is the key to many wonders of the twentieth century. It provides light in a different manner to my ancestor's Illuminator, and does many other things besides. I also have to agree that seeking vengeance on the descendants of those who murdered you is unjust. They have done nothing to you, and none of them were even born yet when their ancestors murdered you. I know I would be most displeased if the ghost of Violette Dupray were to come after me in revenge for my ancestor bringing her reign of terror to an end."

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After these extended conversations, Madame Zenobia's head falls to the table. The man who fled returns, with a young man in the white uniform of a medical student.

"Shirley's had one of her spells," the older man says to the younger.

"Nothing to worry about," the student replies. "A little rest and some sedatives and she'll be just fine. You folks better leave."

Madame Zenobia slowly rouses herself out of unconsciousness, and shows no signs of remembering what happened. No further communication with Captain Palliser occurs, for the moment.

The investigators are easily able to procure tickets to the next performance at the eccentric Honeydew's theater.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:44 pm
by jp1885

"Hmm, I guess the good captain doesn't hang around for long. Shall we go check out this Honeydew fellow?"

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The Luminescent Emporium
ooc,Don't mean to step on any toes for describing a scene and guiding characters through the Luminescent Emporium but I hope this works ok. Won't take up too much time.
An old wooden sign hangs above a shop with windows boarded up with thin flat metallic sheets cut at irregular angles and stained various colors of the rainbow. The sign painted in crude yellow letters reads.

The Luminescent Emporium Bistro and Theatre

There is a paper on the door in what appears to be purple crayon "Next show starts in 30 minutes."

"A Generous serving of Spiced Potatoes and Potations is included with each ticket purchased. Best in the city! "

It is impossible to know when the next show actually begins as there is no indication of the time it actually started.

Someone tries the door and it is locked.. probably a minute goes by when the door suddenly opens.

6 people shuffle out of the door grinning and blushing profusely.

One of the men straightens his jacket and wipes a few droplets of swet from his brow.

Well that was something unexpected now wasn't it?

The woman at his side squeezes his arm and smiles coyly.

Oh My!!

They carry on like this down the street laughing and hugging one another in an amusing display of public affection.

A small man in a strange looking labcoat with padded shoulders opens the door. He is still wearing a pair of thick black welding goggles and smiles up at the newcomers. He takes 5 dollars from each patron and hands them a scrap of cardboard with the word "Billet" written in purple crayon.

Welcome! Welcome! Come in! All are Welcome at the Luminescent Emporium. Please take a seat. I'll be right back with your potatoes and potations.

The man in the lab coat seats the party at table front and center to a crude looking stage painted flat black. The shop is not large but looks like it could seat at least 5 tables of four. A door leads into the back and the pleasant aroma of spiced fried potatoes wafts into the room. It smells delicious.

There is a humorous sign on the wall near the back kitchen door that reads. "Yes I can make Burgers but then you'd have to wait!"

The man in the lab coat disappears through the back door, escaping the start of any further conversation. Almost immediately a pipe organ begins to play through the shops ventilation system. It is good but mildly disturbing.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:38 pm
by Starspawn338
"Well I wonder how this chap is going to help us." Lew says quietly to the others. "He looks like he's off his rocker."

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 pm
by jp1885

"Well quite..." says Tony. He sniffs the air. "At least the evening won't be completely wasted if this is a bust though - those potatoes smell rather good."

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:58 pm
by SunlessNick

"They sure were last time," Zara says. "But I'm with Lew. I don't know what any of this has to do with finding that guy's bones. But if it means he's going to leave me - or us now, I guess - alone..."

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:18 pm
by DSIGFUSS
After a few minutes the man in the puffy labcoat returns with a pitcher of ice cold water and a large plate of scrumptious spiced potatoes. For such a place everything is clean and up to code. The utensils and plates provided are spotless and the glasses cleaned to a shine. There are fresh strawberries soaking in the water providing a wonderfully fresh and sweet aroma to counter the spice of the potatoes.

He bows low to the group and checks the door for any more patrons. He shakes his head when he finds none and continues back to the party. He hands each of them a flyer. and then darts once again into the back room.

Please enjoy your Potatoes and Potations my friends. The show will begin shortly.

The flyer simply reads.

Mistress Lydia and the Lamenting Lycantherope.

The lights dim but candles are lit on the table. Enough light for remains for everyone's faces to still be seen for polite quiet conversation during the show.

Blue light dances across the far wall. Shodowy forms of people appear on the stage and move about quite awkwardly at first but develop an interesting yet unatrural flow. A young girl comes into play.

A voice booms from over the stage speakers.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I'd like to tell you a story of a young maiden name Lydia and the melancholy of her love lost to a terrible curse.

The curse of Lyncanthropy,

The shadow puppets grow dark and a wolf appears bathed in a dull white light that flickers strangely.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"I say, these taste quite good too!" says Liz, sampling the fried potatoes. "I've never cared much for burgers anyway. I've always preferred fish and chips. Well, we've got the chips, at least." She settles back to watch the show as she eats.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Honeydew:
Spoiler:
I will roll WIS saving throws for the characters present, to determine if they are safe from the effects of your substances. Liz WIS = 10, minus 1 for Emotional = 9[dice]0[/dice] Zara WIS = 11, minus 1 for Emotional[dice]1[/dice] Lew WIS = 10 [dice]2[/dice] Tony WIS = 11[dice]3[/dice] A result below the WIS avoids the effect of the drug. Only Lew suffers no effect. I assume you decided on the love/lust effect, based on your narration. Correct me if I am wrong. Go ahead and read the spoilers for the others so you can see how I have had your stuff act. It can be edited if this isn't what you had in mine.
Lew:
Spoiler:
You enjoy perfectly fine food and drink, and an eccentric entertainment. Otherwise, the only thing you notice is that your companions seem a little more affectionate than usual.
Everybody else present:
Spoiler:
For some reason, you feel particularly fond of your companions at this moment. Perhaps it's the carnival atmosphere of the place. Whatever the explanation might be, you also feel a little more attracted to whatever gender or genders you prefer. Nothing scandalous, just a little more flirtatious than usual.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz flutters her eyelashes at Tony. "I wouldn't let lycanthropy keep me from true love, would you?" she says. "You'd look even more handsome with more hair, under the light of a full moon."

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 pm
by jp1885

Tony's moustache positively frizzles. He leans over to Liz, squeezes her knee and whispers: "Rrrowl..."

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara giggles at the sight. "We'll have to make sure it's you he saves from the mad slasher next time."

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz giggles too. "Of course, I too turn into an absolute beast on a monthly basis," she says.

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A good time is had by all, although perhaps Lew thinks his companions are acting a bit frisky, under the circumstances.

In any case, at a certain point in the eccentric performance, all of the investigators -- except, curiously, Lew, who might have been looking elsewhere for a moment -- witness a large number of swallows fluttering through the theater. The brief illusion -- for such it must surely be -- is a mystery, for there is no evident way such a thing could have been produced through lighting and puppetry. It almost suggests a very advanced version of the new science of optical holography, a little-known method of producing three-dimensional images requiring the use of lasers, developed only a few years ago.

Later, overheard conversations among the other members of the audience make it clear that not everyone witnessed such a thing.

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am
by jp1885

Munching on a potato, Tony sits back to enjoy the show, arms draped somewhat louchely around the shoulders of his female companions.

“This is pretty far out. I wonder how he does it? More to the point, how will it help us?”

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think it's done with lasers," says Liz. "It's a very new technology, though Dr. Henry North did encounter what must have been a laser once back in 1788. A madwoman named Violette Dupray attempted to use it to assassinate King Louis XVI and kick off the French Revolution early, but he stopped her with a mirror, reflecting the beam back at her. It was invented by an evil scientist named Roterstein, though he also went by other translations of the name such as Redstone. The lasers being used here are harmless, though, as long as you don't have the beam hit you directly in the eye. I don't think it's the lasers we need to help us, though. Captain Palliser said that Dr. Honeydew can make a nostrum that can reveal the unseen. That's what we need to find his remains."

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:50 am
by Starspawn338
"Although a rather enjoyable way to waste an evening, I'm not sure what we have accomplished tonight." Lew offers. "We should have just asked him what we were going to ask him without all the smoke and mirrors light show. Perhaps we can get to it all now?"

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
During the show, Zara, who always has paper and pencil ready at hand, half-consciously produces a quick sketch of the swallows, adding to the scene a background which seems to be an old building, of the kind built by the Spanish colonists of California a couple of centuries ago.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:41 pm
by SunlessNick

"This mean anything to anyone?" Zara asks, showing the picture to the rest of the gang.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:59 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc,The group before them had the Love/ Lust effect. The effect now is Sadness/ Despair. The puppet show reflects the desired emotion. The "Lamenting" Lycantherope is a sad sad tale. :cry: lol
The Shadow Puppet show continues and tells the sad tale of a young gypsy woman who falls deeply in love with a woodsman. The gypsy's mother warns the woodsman to stay from her daughter but the two cannot be parted. Even after the woodsman performs a series of daring quests to prove his love the mother curses the woodsman with lycantherapy. The woodsman turns into a werewolf and murders everyone in the village including his gypsy love and her mother. When he wakes from the bloodbath in the shape of a man, the woodsman is so distraught that he puts his rifle in his mouth and pulls the trigger.

Alas, his curse saves him from death and his rifle offers him no peace. The woodsman is cursed to roam the land in a loveless and murderous melancholy for the rest of his days.

The shadow puppets disappear from the stage leaving only the sound of Doctor Maximus Honeydew's voice over a dull Blue light.

So sad...So very Sad... There are pistols taped to the underside of your chair... I would completely understand whatever decision you make at this sad moment of despair. So very Sad...

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:40 pm
by jp1885

Tony nods sagely at Liz's technical explanation, whilst understanding not a single word.

As the story progresses, he can't help but dwell on this. How could a caddish dullard like him possibly stand a chance with such an intelligent girl as Liz?

When Zara shows them the drawing, he shrugs.

"Don't ask me my dear - I'm too much of a dunce."

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe it's an old Spanish mission," says Liz, examining the picture. "That could be where we'll find his remains." Then her eyes overflow with tears, and she begins to sob. The story has moved her greatly, and her usual emotional response is even stronger than it usually is. While men fall in love with her wherever she goes, she longs to feel the same in return, but how can she ever find the right one among so many? She despairs of ever finding true love. Then she considers how many hearts she has broken, and it provokes another bout of crying.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By this time Lew, shaking his head at the emotions on display, realizes that this is somehow a result of Honeydew's machinations. Throughout the theater, some persons are obviously under the sway of the scientist's actions, while others remain unaffected. A few particularly sensitive persons, harking to Honeydew's macabre suggestion, reach under their seats, grabbing the weapons, and firing at themselves. To the relief of all, this does no more than release silk flags from the muzzles, bearing the word bang!

This brings an end to the show, with a scattering of applause. The manipulation of emotions experienced by many, from amorousness to sorrow, seems to brings a certain measure of peace, as if pent-up feelings, once experienced, were no longer locked within each heart.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am
by jp1885

As the show ends, Tony is in the act of comforting the sobbing scientist - an worthwhile thing in itself, but also an agreeable method of fighting the urge to blow his own brains out in despair.

He blinks as the shadow of depression lifts, leaving him feeling somehow lighter.

"Well, that was... cathartic. Yes, most stimulating, what?"

Now in a better frame of mind, he takes another look at the drawing once again.

"I'm no expert, but I concur Liz; some kind of old Spanish colonial building - I wonder how many have survived in these parts? Zara, perhaps Dr. Honeydew's methods may help you to provide more detail - if, of course, you are willing."

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara had withdrawn into herself as the show went on, giving barely a sign of hearing Liz's response. She blinks for a moment, taking in what Tony has said, then answers, "I guess."

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 pm
by Starspawn338
"Please come out." Lew says loudly after the performance. "I'm not sure that the manipulation of our emotions was necessary. We came here to seek your counsel, not be part of some social experiment."

Lew looks at Zara's photo and muses. "That does look somewhat familiar. I wonder where it is?"

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Maximus comes out through the back door with his hands clasped and a wide grin on his face. He always felt this sort of exhilaration after one of his shadow puppet shows.

He was pleased that at least one of his patrons had felt enough despair to pick up one of the stage pistols he had taped under each chair and put it to his forehead.

Deliciously Delightful. Mwa Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha ! he thought to himself.

To Lew, Maximus replies shaking his head.

Of course!! Never in a million centuries good sir!

Maximus pauses for an uncomfortable amount of time leering at each of the four seated at the table in turn. He gets in a little closer to Zara and looks at the photo. He is surprising well perfumed for an unattractive man of such brilliant insanity. His breath smells like a winter breeze.

Did you enjoy my potatoes?

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I did indeed," says Liz, drying her eyes with a monogrammed handkerchief. "Dr. Maximus Honeydew, I presume. I'm Dr. Liz North. It's a pleasure to meet you. We had you recommended to us by someone very unusual. We were told you can make a nostrum to reveal the unseen."

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While this conversation is going on, one of the people leaving the theater, a middle-aged man, softly sings to himself.

All the mission bells will ring
The chapel choir will sing
The happiness you'll bring
Will live in my memory

"What made you think of that old song?" the woman next to him asks.

"Geez, I dunno, hon," he replies. "It just kinda popped into my head. Funny, huh? Ink Spots, wasn't it? Just before the war? Yeah, and Glenn Miller, just about the same time."

"I like Pat Boone's version better," she answers.

"Ah, that's kid stuff."

They go off together, their casual conversation seeming, in some odd fashion, more important than it should.

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am
by jp1885

Overhearing this conversation, Tony jerks his head towards the departing couple.

"Maybe the good doctor's methods have already elicited some results hm? Did you hear that? Mission bells? Chapel choir?"

After the others make their introductions, he extends his hand to Honeydew.

"Tony Patchpole, at your service. I don't suppose you know of any old Spanish missions around here do you?"

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 am
by SunlessNick

Zara caught the conversation too, and adds. "Maybe one that's still got bells in the tower?"

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Maximus shakes each of their hands in turn with a thick black rubber gloved hand and then returns his attention to Zara and the photo.

All the mission bells will ring
The chapel choir will sing

Perhaps they are insinuating to the mission at San Juan Capistrano. Yes? Hmmmm? Certainly enough chapels and bells to clear the sinuses there Yes?

He leans in closer to Zara and bugs out his eyes.

It's Scope if you were wondering...

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, the Bells of Capistrano," says Liz. "That sounds like our next stop."

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Mission of San Juan Capistrano is a popular tourist site, particularly when the swallows arrive, which was less than a month ago. At this time of year, in early November, it's a little quieter. It's a simple matter to obtain a copy of a quaint old map for a few cents from a local merchant.
Spoiler:

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:18 pm
by jp1885

Tony thanks the vendor before studying the map. One thing immediately stands out.

"Hmm, the Soldier's Bell - sounds familiar hey?"

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:06 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Maximus nods..

Yes, certainly not a coincidence then hmmmm?

The doctor swats at an imaginary fly of some description buzzing around his head.

Yes.. Yes... I'm getting to it.

You know.. I have a friend who does quite well being of particular use in historic dwellings such as these. Lots of voices and interesting stories come to light when the two of us put our heads together. Well my head.. and whatever you would call that bulbous structure protruding through his thorax...

Maximus pauses and looks over his shoulder quizzically.

Yes.. I believe it is a head.

Perhaps we could have a go at your little church-bell quest. It all seems very interesting and under influence of the proper hallucinogenics might just benefit my research as well.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"That must be what we're looking for," says Liz. "Shall we go?"

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:08 pm
by Starspawn338
"Please keep your hallucinogenics to yourself." Lew says forcefully. "There's enough crazy stuff that we've encountered that I, for one, would prefer to know what's real and not just a hallucination."

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Indeed kind sir. I would not dream of making you any more uncomfortable. All potations are by request only from here on in. Scouts honour!

Maximus raises two fingers to his brow that more resemble a hang ten than the tradition scout salute of the boys scouts organisation.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:59 pm
by jp1885

Tony looks askance at the good doctor, sharing Lew's unease. Still, he did rather enjoy the first part of the puppet show, so maybe there's something in it...

"Assuming there's some kind of spiritual connection between our gallant soldier and the bell, will your potations reveal it do you think?"

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 pm
by DSIGFUSS

It's difficult to say. The older the structure the better chance of there being something there willing to talk.. If you believe in such things. My chemicals simply help the proceedings...

It's always worth a try. I haven't left the theatre in some time so a bit of good-natured exercise could do me some good.

What exactly are we looking for if you don't mind me asking?

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I would prefer not to partake of hallucinogenic substances as well," says Liz. "As a scientist, I feel it is important that my observations not be compromised. We are looking for the remains of one Captain William Palliser, a friend of an ancestor of mine in the early 19th century. And I do believe in such things. Believe in them, talk to them, have tea with them..."

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:50 am
by SunlessNick

"I've done acid before," Zara says. "It used to help me see things. I could try some of your stuff if it helps get rid of this guy."

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maximus beams warmly at Zara.

Indeed.. An adventurer amongst them then... Delightful! I was on the team that invented LSD you know.., practically my creation. Hoffman was a worm and would have died a nobody in that blue collar laboratory. If it weren't fop my formuations... for my addition to his work...

Doctor Honeydew temper begins to rise. He slams his closed fist suddenly on the table.

Accident my wrinkled ass! I guided that fool to greatness and now he sits in some Hippie-Hut experimenting with my creations!

Maximus straightens his lab coat collar and shakes off his rising rage.

My apologies.. That is a sensitive subject for me I'm afraid Ms Zara. But Yes, LSD works perfectly well for communicating with known spirits. My servant will certainly be able to track down any spirits dwelling in the church and relay their communications effectively to any amongst us in the proper state of mind. It's all very subjective mind you. Spirits are flakey creatures I find. No scientific method in the afterlife I always say.

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have my own ways of communicating with the spirits," says Liz. "Sometimes, the spirits initiate the communications. That's what happened with Captain Palliser. He visited us in our dreams. Through lucid dreaming, we were able to direct the conversation and recall it afterwards. And, in my case at least, have tea with him. We visited a spiritualist the next day who turned out to be a fraud, but the late captain was able to possess her temporarily to speak to us in the waking world. He's the one who directed us to you."

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By automobile, it takes something over an hour to travel from Venice to the old Spanish mission at San Juan Capistrano; a little longer, if one chooses to follow the coast, for a more scenic journey.

Upon arrival, the investigators discover a few late season tourists wandering the Plaza,which is the nearest part of the Mission to the extensive parking lot. There are vending machines, much like gumball machines, from which one may purchase a small handful of birdseed for a penny. By this time of year, however, the famous swallows are mostly gone, and the area is populated by fat, lazy pigeons. Among the visitors are a group of Japanese businessmen, talking in animated fashion and taking many photographs.

Having shown interest in the Soldier's Bell, the party approaches it. It proves to be of no great size, greatly rusted with time, and, if one taps it, producing a leaden sound. Located as it is near the old Guard House -- now, like much of the Mission, mostly in ruins, due to the large earthquake that struck the region in the early 19th century -- no doubt it was used to summon the small number of soldiers stationed at the Mission during the colonial period, in case of attack by brigands.

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:20 am
by jp1885

Tony pokes the ground around the base of the bell.

"I guess if we're going to do something, this is the place to do it."

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:48 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara gets out her pad and pencil. "I guess I sit down somewhere and see if anything comes to me."

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Captain Palliser did mention that you had a nostrum that can reveal the unseen, Dr. Honeydew," Liz tells him. "Now might be the time to break it out."

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony pokes the ground around the base of the bell.

"I guess if we're going to do something, this is the place to do it."
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Digging around in the dirt does not reveal anything interesting.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara gets out her pad and pencil. "I guess I sit down somewhere and see if anything comes to me."
Spoiler:
wis = 11 + Artistry 1 + Percpetion 1 = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Perhaps due to an aftereffect of the experience in Doctor Honeydew's theater, Zara feels particularly uninspired, and produces nothing but a few scribbles.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Captain Palliser did mention that you had a nostrum that can reveal the unseen, Dr. Honeydew," Liz tells him. "Now might be the time to break it out."

While waiting for the eccentric scientist to respond, Liz can't help noticing an argument, in Japanese, breaking out among the men in business suits. It is conducted more in intense whispers than in shouting, but there is definitely some disagreement among them.
Spoiler:
Int = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Having conducted parapsychological research all over the world, she knows enough conversational Japanese to pick up the gist of the argument. In simplified form, it boils down to something like this:

-- This is not the right place. The signs are not favorable. --
-- Nonsense! Would you end the project now? The consequences for your career would be most undesirable. --
-- I understand, but not here and not now. We should wait. --
--There is little time. --

The discussion continues in this manner, without reaching any particular conclusion.

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 pm
by jp1885

"Well Doctor Honeydew, it looks like it's up to you and your concoctions," Tony harrumphs, Wiping the dust of his shoes.
Roll to spot the Japanese (Wisdom 11?),[dice]0[/dice]
Spotting the Japanese businessmen, he raises an eyebrow.

"But let's be discreet about it, eh?"

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Curious about what the Japanese men are discussing, and also wanting to keep them distracted from what the others are doing, Liz approaches them and bows. "Sumimasen," she says in Japanese. "Konichiwa. Watashi wa Norotu-sensei desu."
OOC,Translation: Excuse me. Good day. I am Dr. North.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The youngest of the Japanese men replies in excellent English, far better than is usually heard in the United States.

"Good day, Doctor," he says with a smile. He offers his hand, in the western style of greeting. "I am Akira Nakamura. You speak my language very well. My colleagues and I are greatly enjoying our tour of this quaint structure. I trust you and your friends also find it interesting?"

Having noticed that Liz understands what they are saying, the other men grow quiet, offering only simple greetings in Japanese.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, very interesting," says Liz, shaking his hand. "Thank you. Most people don't come here at this time of year now that the swallows have flown south, so it's good to see someone else. What brings you here?"

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:33 pm
by jp1885

While Liz distracts the Japanese businessman, Tony motions to the others.

"Zara, Dr. Honeydew, maybe you should prepare for, er, whatever it is you intend to do."

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:43 am
by Starspawn338
"What even is a nostrum?" Lew asks. He will walk around the bell to see if there is anything odd he notices about it.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Yes, very interesting," says Liz, shaking his hand. "Thank you. Most people don't come here at this time of year now that the swallows have flown south, so it's good to see someone else. What brings you here?"
After glancing at the others for a moment, and exchanging a slight nod with the eldest, a white-haired gentleman to whom the others obviously look with respect, Mister Nakamura replies.

"Nothing very exciting, I'm afraid. Dull matters of business, you see. We were just discussing whether to invest in some nearby property which is for sale, in order to establish an American base of operations."

He hands Liz a business card, finely engraved on thick white paper, with his name and the words TAKARA ELECTRONICS.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote:Image
"What even is a nostrum?" Lew asks. He will walk around the bell to see if there is anything odd he notices about it.
Spoiler:
WIS = 10[dice]0[/dice] Hmm. Right on the border, so maybe a very slight hint . . .
Although Lew does not discover anything very notable about the Soldier's Bell, he does notice that the entire Plaza, which is very dusty, is covered with multiple footprints, as if several people have been exploring the area in detail quite recently.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:14 pm
by SunlessNick

"Nada," Zara says, putting her pad away. While Dr Honeydew prepares the "potation" as he called it, she looks around for somewhere she can take it without attracting too much attention.

Overhearing Lew's mention of a nostrum, she says, "I think he means the drug."

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:46 pm
by jp1885

While Tony is aware that Zara is no innocent, he still has misgivings about the young girl taking Hnoeydew’s potions.

“What do you require of us my good doctor? If anything goes wrong, what must we do?”

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Liz, accepting the card. "This could be useful to me. I investigate paranormal phenomena, and I use electronic devices and components in my work.Where exactly were you considering opening your business? If you do, I'll have to drop in."

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Since we have not heard from Honeydew for a while, I will presume that he offers Zara a portion of the nostrum, whose effects I will attempt to describe as best as I can with the information supplied. I note the Afflictions of "afraid of birds" and "hated by animals."
All this time, the mysterious Honeydew has been rather quiet, perhaps because it is clear that he does not enjoy the presence of the pigeons, and the feeling seems to be mutual, the birds avoiding him, unlike the way they flock around everyone else, eager for treats.

Once he steels himself sufficiently, he steps carefully as far away from the pigeons as possible while supplying Zara with the potion.

The effect is almost instantaneous. The Mission seems to be washed in ever-changing pastel colors of all shades, as if seen through the lens of a kaleidoscope. The effect is not unpleasant, and does not prevent her from acting in a reasonably normal manner. Within the chaos of pale rainbows, there appears a peculiar, bulbous shape, vaguely humanoid, like a person drawn by a very young child. A soft giggling sound emerges from where a mouth should be, as if the thing is amused by itself. A light voice, like a distant whisper heard through a long tunnel, speaks.

"Ring for service."

With a laugh, the figure vanishes, followed by the light show, and all seems normal again.

While this has been going on in a place away from prying eyes, Mister Nakamura's eyes open wide at what Liz has told him.

"Paranormal, Doctor? Indeed! Excuse me for a moment, please."

He goes to the white-haired man and speaks in a low voice to him. The elder listens to him and nods. Nakamura returns.

"Perhaps you might be able to tell me if this area is free from . . . well, let us call them unfriendly forces. You see, we had hoped to open our local office very close to here. Takara-san," he continues, indicating the older man, and, notably, reverting to the traditional Japanese way of respectfully referring to him, "feels that this is the perfect place to conduct his business, but his advisers do not all agree. I am not conversant with these matters myself, you understand, serving merely as interpreter and financial director."

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 am
by jp1885

Tony stands by, ready to catch Zara if she swoons or suchlike.

Occasionally he will cast a glance towards Liz and the Japanese, just in case she runs into difficulties.

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:15 pm
by SunlessNick

"Wow that was tuff," Zara says. "Far out - like all the best bits of a trip and none of the heavy stuff. I saw something - don't think it was the captain - but it said ring for service."

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:39 pm
by Starspawn338
"Ring for service? Indeed!" Lew says. He will take his cane and rap it on the side of the bell a couple times to see if he can reproduce a ringing sound.

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've only just arrived," says Liz with a smile, "so I haven't had a chance to do a full inspection, but I have reason to believe that there is something here. I was contacted by the restless spirit of a friend of an ancestor of mine, and he said that his earthly remains are here somewhere. Finding them will be the first step to allowing him to rest. He is driven by revenge, as he was murdered over a century ago. He wants his body back so that he can seek vengeance on the descendants of those who wronged him. He wasn't unfriendly to me, but he could be to anyone who stands in his way or denies him what he wants."

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: "Ring for service? Indeed!" Lew says. He will take his cane and rap it on the side of the bell a couple times to see if he can reproduce a ringing sound.
The bell produces a clearer sound than one might expect, given its age and condition. It seems to resonate throughout the Plaza. If one listens very closely, one can tell that the sound sets up reverberations with the much larger bells located near the Church. It eventually fades away, with no other obvious effect.

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I've only just arrived," says Liz with a smile, "so I haven't had a chance to do a full inspection, but I have reason to believe that there is something here. I was contacted by the restless spirit of a friend of an ancestor of mine, and he said that his earthly remains are here somewhere. Finding them will be the first step to allowing him to rest. He is driven by revenge, as he was murdered over a century ago. He wants his body back so that he can seek vengeance on the descendants of those who wronged him. He wasn't unfriendly to me, but he could be to anyone who stands in his way or denies him what he wants."
Upon hearing this story, Mister Nakamura, with a skeptical raising of one eyebrow, conveys the gist of the tale to the others in rapid Japanese. There is some quick, whispered conversation among the men. Then, waving the cane he carries (but obviously does not really need, since he is quite vigorous for his advanced age), Mister Takaka leads them through the Plaza, passing between what used to be the Pantry and the Parlor, and into the large Patio. Giving quick instructions to all but Mister Nakamura, who evidently serves a different purpose than the rest, he points to various areas surrounding the Patio with the cane.
Spoiler:
number of men with the two others[dice]0[/dice]
The four men head to different places; one to the old Winery, one to what remains of the Olive Press, one to the abandoned Soap Factory, and one to the Candle Shop. It is not clear what their purpose might be.

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:11 am
by jp1885

“Hmm, perhaps ‘ring for service’ means a church service - calling the faithful to prayer? Give that one another tap Lew and I’ll reply.”

Keeping a wary eye on the Japanese, Tony walks over to the larger bells, assuming he can access them. When Lew taps the soldier’s bell, he will ring the church bells in return (whacking them with his stick if need be).

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:50 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew watches the Japanese men move around and when they stop moving and Tony has gotten to the church bells, he will rap on the bell again.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Liz asks Mr. Nakamura. "I am an expert in the field."

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When both sets of bells are ringing, they produce a gentle melody, as if on their own, although Lew and Tony are striking them without the intent to make a song. The tune is a familiar old English folk song, which at least a few of the British folks present will recognize, known, simply enough, as Early One Morning. At least one set of lyrics are as follows.

Early one morning
just as the sun was rising,
I heard a young maid sing
in the valley below.

Oh, don't deceive me,
Oh, never leave me,
How could you use
A poor maiden so?

Remember the vows that
you made to me truly,
Remember how tenderly
you nestled close to me.

Gay is the garland
fresh are the roses
I've culled from the garden
to bind over thee.

Here I now wander
alone as I wonder
Why did you leave me
to sigh and complain.

I ask of the roses
why should I be forsaken,
Why must I here in sorrow remain?

Through yonder grove by the spring that is running,
There you and I have so merrily played,
Kissing and courting and gently sporting,
Oh, my innocent heart you've betrayed.

Soon you will meet with another pretty maiden,
Some pretty maiden,
you'll court her for a while.

Thus ever ranging
turning and changing,
Always seeking for a girl that is new.

Thus sung the maiden,
her sorrows bewailing
Thus sung the maid
in the valley below

Oh, don't deceive me,
Oh, never leave me,
How could you use
A poor maiden so?

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Is there anything I can do to help?" Liz asks Mr. Nakamura. "I am an expert in the field."
With a shy smile, Mister Nakamura replies, "I am afraid that is not my field of expertise, and I am not privy to all of Takara-san's motivations. I believe, however, that he is directing his assistants to find something hidden away long ago, which might render this area less than desirable for a place so close to his intended base of American operations."

The searchers do not seem to be having much luck, to Mister Takara's evident consternation. After a brief conference with Mister Nakamura, the investigators are allowed to do what they can to aid in the hunt, with the proviso that anything they might find of value will become the property of Takara Electronics.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:20 pm
by SunlessNick

"Is that normal, or is the captain doing it?" Zara asks of the bells' meolody.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:59 pm
by jp1885

"Honestly, I have no idea..." says Tony, inbetween muttering the lyrics of the song.

"But there's more than one mention of groves, garlands, roses and such." He consults the map. "Priest's garden maybe?"

He looks over to where Liz is speaking to the Japanese, wondering what gives with them.

"Everything alright my dear?"

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite," says Liz, going over to her friends and explaining what took place. "Perhaps they're looking for buried treasure of some sort. I do recognise that song, it's Early One Morning. I agree, the Priest's Garden sounds likely. We should go there next."

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:27 am
by Starspawn338
"There are things that I observe that never cease to amaze me. This is one of those times. Let's be off to the garden then.

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Priest's Garden is a relatively small area, containing a central fountain, where an occasional bird alights to drink and bathe. On all sides are a variety of plants, from cacti and other succulents to roses and other flowers. To reach it, one passes through an arch, from the top of which hang the bells which have just concluded their melody.
Spoiler:
Assuming everyone is searching the garden . . .WIS checks. Liz = 10 + 1 Discover Secrets = 11; Zara = 11 + 1 Perception = 12; Lew = 10 - 1 Near Sighted = 9; Tony = 11; Maximus = 13; in that order, [dice]0[/dice]I'll call the last two a miss, since you have enough folks succeeding.
Perhaps Doctor Honeydew is too nervous, watching the birds to make sure they don't attack him, to notice anything in particular. The pigeons, in particular, used to receiving treats from visitors, can be on the aggressive side, liable to land on one's head and peck away annoyingly. Tony is kept busy swatting a few away with his cane, so he doesn't find anything of particular interest.

The others, searching diligently through the tangled foliage, locate a few unusual items.

Perhaps due to her scientific background, Liz is able to determine that a tiny bit of metal, which at first glance might seem to be nothing more than a tab from one of those newly invented aluminum pull-top cans that hold beer or soft drinks, is actually some kind of electronic device. Its exact structure and purpose would require direct examination.

Zara, with the eye of an artist for beautiful things, finds a small piece of lace, perhaps once pure black but now faded with time, which seems to be part of a mantilla, as worn by ladies of Spanish California more than a century ago.

Despite his weak vision, or perhaps because of it, causing him to squint and bow low to the ground, Lew locates a tiny silver ring, inscribed with the words te lo prometo. It is not difficult to translate this into the equivalent English of I promise thee.

Having observed the investigators, Mister Nakamura politely inquires if they have found anything interesting.

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:18 am
by jp1885

“Gah!”

Tony is unable to add much to the conversation; mobbed as he is by pigeons.

“Confounded beasts!”

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:49 pm
by SunlessNick

Comparing her find to Lew's, Zara asks "Was he meeting a woman here or something?"

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:24 pm
by Starspawn338
Reflecting back to the song, it could be that he was having an affair with another woman and his wife was here, throwing away her ring and perhaps deciding that she could no longer go on living..." Lew muses out loud. "But how does what Liz found fit into it all?"

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can guarantee that what I've found was not here in the previous century," says Liz, showing the others the device. "This sort of technology is quite modern. Perhaps, Nakamura-san, you and your colleagues might have some insight into it, working as you do for an electronics company. I may have some ideas of my own." She closely inspects the device to try to deduce its purpose and how it works, being careful to avoid activating it in case it is dangerous.
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mister Nakamura is not familiar with this kind of device. However, through careful examination of its mechanism, which seems to consist of unusually tiny transistors, it appears to be some sort of signaling device, currently activated.

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:32 am
by jp1885

Tony finishes flailing around in time to catch most of the conversation.

"Hmm... Zara, with your, er, particular sensitivities, perhaps you could try the ring on? Maybe you'll pick something up from it."

To Liz he asks:

"Can you work out which direction that gizmo is transmitting to, and what's the deal with the Japanese chaps? Can we trust them?"

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:42 pm
by SunlessNick

"Sure," Zara says at Tony's suggestion. She finds a bench and sits down, gets her pad and pencil out again, then puts the ring on.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure if they can be trusted," replies Liz, deep in thought. "They haven't done anything to make me distrust them, though. At first I thought the device might have been theirs, considering their interest in electronics, but they didn't seem to know about it. I still have the radio direction finding equipment from before, and I'll try to use it. If the device is transmitting in a tight beam, that will give us a direction, but not a distance. It all depends on whoever is receiving the signal. If they're just listening passively, there's no way to tell for certain. However, if there's two-way communication going on, I can use the RDF to determine the location of anyone transmitting to this device. I can take one reading here, and then one reading from another location in order to get enough data to triangulate the position. Its purpose may be to alert whoever is listening to someone being in its presence, in which case whoever it is may find us."

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Sure," Zara says at Tony's suggestion. She finds a bench and sits down, gets her pad and pencil out again, then puts the ring on.
Spoiler:
For certain reasons, I am going to make INT checks for all present save Zara and Liz. Lew = 16, Tony = 7, Maximus = 16[dice]0[/dice]
Once the ring is placed upon her finger -- remarkably, it is a perfect fit -- Zara undergoes a noticeable change in personality. No longer tending to sullenness, she acquires a certain fire in her eyes, paces about restlessly, and frequently waves her hands about in an expressive manner. More remarkable than that is the fact that she begins speaking rapidly in Spanish. Fortunately, all the men present are familiar with the language. Tony, from his many visits to Spain on holiday, is aware that it is not the exact speech of the Old World, but slightly different. Lew, who has represented many members of the Hispanic community, recognizes it as the Mexican variant of Spanish. (If one may alter Churchill's famous quip, Spain and her former colonies are nations divided by a common tongue.) Doctor Honeydew, whose eccentric brain contains all manner of esoteric knowledge, realizes that it is oddly old-fashioned. By analogy, it sounds something like a modern actress -- say, for example, Elizabeth Taylor -- attempting to play a woman of the early Victorian Era. She speaks so rapidly, and with so much repetition and frequent interruptions of exclamations, that an exact transcription would be difficult. Perhaps a small sample would suffice to convey the gist of her agitated speech.

-- Dog of an Englishman! Faithless and cursed! He thinks he may toss me aside like a broken jar? Mother of Angels, he shall taste of my wrath! I spit upon his ring! --

Attempting to put words to action, Zara -- if that is, indeed, who it is-- tries to pull off the ring, only to discover that it cannot be removed. This, of course, only adds to her agitation.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I'm not sure if they can be trusted," replies Liz, deep in thought. "They haven't done anything to make me distrust them, though. At first I thought the device might have been theirs, considering their interest in electronics, but they didn't seem to know about it. I still have the radio direction finding equipment from before, and I'll try to use it. If the device is transmitting in a tight beam, that will give us a direction, but not a distance. It all depends on whoever is receiving the signal. If they're just listening passively, there's no way to tell for certain. However, if there's two-way communication going on, I can use the RDF to determine the location of anyone transmitting to this device. I can take one reading here, and then one reading from another location in order to get enough data to triangulate the position. Its purpose may be to alert whoever is listening to someone being in its presence, in which case whoever it is may find us."

While the others observe the startling transformation in Zara, whose torrent of angry words goes on for quite some time, Liz is able to perform a few quick tests upon the device, from the basic electronic equipment she always carries. This simple examination reveals that it is something in the nature of a motion detector, such as are sometimes part of sophisticated security systems. It is also possible to determine that its signal is currently being broadcast almost directly overhead. (Over time, the exact direction changes, very slowly.) There is no indication that anything is being broadcast to the device; it seems to be a passive receiver.

After a while, the group of Japanese men approach, their attention drawn by all that has been going on. Mister Takara speaks to Mister Nakamura in a low voice, so that the investigators do not hear his words, but an excited manner. Mister Nakamura approaches Liz, bows, smiles in a rather apologetic manner, and addresses her.

"Please excuse my boldness, Doctor, but Takara-san is most interested in the curious device you have discovered. Perhaps you would be willing to part with it for, say, one hundred American dollars?" It is clear that he is a bit embarrassed to be discussing financial matters in so direct a fashion.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I am sorry," says Liz, "but I am afraid I cannot part with something that is someone else's property. I will try to determine whose property it is, or they may show up here. This is a motion sensor that also transmits a signal, which is being sent almost directly upward, though is some slight change in the angle over time." She looks up at the sky to see if there's a helicopter or something overhead. Then she takes out her fingerprint kit and dusts the device for prints. "My ancestor Dr. Henry North actually independently invented fingerprint analysis in the early nineteenth century, decades before it was in common usage." That done, she goes over to Zara and examines the ring. "The spirit of a brokenhearted Mexican woman must be attached to the ring. Most likely Captain Palliser was responsible for that. Hell hath no fury..."

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:45 pm
by SunlessNick
Victoria,Is Zara aware of what's happening?

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:06 pm
by jp1885

"It appears our gallant captain was quite the cad..." Tony muses. "A woman scorned indeed."

"Pardon me señora,"
he addresss Zara, "what did you do to Captain Pallister?"

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A quick glance upwards reveals no visible aircraft. The sky is clear, so there is no possibility of one hidden behind clouds.

The device is completely free of fingerprints, except those of Doctor North herself.

After some quick discussion with Mister Takara and the others, Mister Nakamura makes his farewells and all the Japanese businessmen walk briskly to their limousine. (It can be seen that Mister Nakamura, among his other duties, serves as chauffeur.) They drive off quickly.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Victoria,Is Zara aware of what's happening?
Spoiler:
Zara, You are aware of what is happening, but powerless to take control of your body, at the moment.
You may attempt any sort of mental action that you think might help.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:

"Pardon me señora," he addresses Zara, "what did you do to Captain Pallister?"
Lifting her head high, Zara replies scornfully:

-- Señor, do you dare to address me so boldly, when we have not yet been introduced? And you assume that I am married? --

With this last word, she sobs a little, and wipes away a tear with a gesture which suggests that she thinks she holds a handkerchief in her hand. Recovering herself, she continues in a haughty manner.

-- It appears you are familiar with the one whose name shall not dirty my tongue. And I do something to him? --

-- Ha! Rather ask why he has taken my heart and crushed it with the heel of his boot! --

-- I tell by your foul accent that you are his countryman; to the Devil with you as well! Oh, where is my duenna? Why is she not here to protect me from the cruelty of men? --

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:11 pm
by jp1885

Tony steps back, as much aghast at mangling the Spanish language as having caused such distress to the girl's shade.

"Please forgive this boorish oaf," he implores.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz is confident that if this woman's spirit won't release Zara, she can always set her free by using a circle of protection, but for now they can learn a lot by speaking with her. "Yes, please forgive my companions," she says. "I hope you won't hold one man's misdeeds against an entire nation. You are correct, some introductions are in order first. I am Lady Elizabeth North, daughter of the Earl of Dunwich, though I would be pleased if you would call me Liz." Normally she does not use her title of nobility, but in this case she thinks it may make a better impression. "My companions here are Anthony Patchpole, Llewellyn Collins, and Doctor Maximus Honeydew." She indicates each in turn. "Perhaps we can be of assistance to you. Please, tell me what that man has done. We can also help look for your duenna. Was she wearing a black lace mantilla?" She wonders if the piece of lace that Zara has found may allow the duenna's spirit to possess someone, though she can't risk putting it on herself, as she's the only one who can perform the ritual. It's also possible that the mantilla had belonged to the lady possessing Zara. She realizes that perhaps Captain Palliser did not abandon the lady, but could not keep his promise to her because he had been murdered.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:13 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
Zara, You are aware of what is happening, but powerless to take control of your body, at the moment.
You may attempt any sort of mental action that you think might help.
Victoria,Zara's initial reaction is panicked calling for help from the others. When that doesn't work, she tries to think-tell the woman's spirit that Captain Palliser is dead.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 am
by Starspawn338
Lew nods to Zara as the introductions are made but lets Liz do the talking.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Addressing herself solely to Liz, Zara curtsies in a manner which suggests that she thinks she is wearing a full skirt.

-- My Lady, I am pleased that at least one of you exhibits proper manners. Allow me to inform you that Consuela Maria Concepción Ruiz y Calderón has the pleasure of making your acquaintance. --

For the moment she seems much more calm, but that mood changes in a moment.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Victoria,Zara's initial reaction is panicked calling for help from the others. When that doesn't work, she tries to think-tell the woman's spirit that Captain Palliser is dead.

For no obvious reason, Zara stumbles blindly towards one of the garden's half-ruined adobe walls, collapsing against it and breaking into sobs. After some time, she is able to speak again.

-- Dead! My own true heart! Mother of Angels, can this be true? --

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:45 am
by jp1885

Knowing from experience (an exhilarating fortnight in Marbella to be precise) how excitable Latin ladies can be, Tony elects to stay out of the conversation and leave the others to comfort the distraught spirit.

Instead, intrigued by the Japanese, who he has paid little heed to until now, he tries to remember if he's ever come across Takara Electronics in his adventures before.
INT 7,[dice]0[/dice]
He shakes his head - nothing. Therefore he makes a note of the name and resolves to make a few discrete phone calls when he gets the opportunity.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz gives Zara a comforting hug. "I'm afraid it's true," she says. "His spirit contacted us. He was murdered, and I believe he did not abandon you by choice. In fact, he desires to live again, and we may be able to help him if we can find his remains. We know they are here somewhere. When and where did you see him last? It might help us find him."

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Zara, trembling with emotion, makes the sign of the Cross upon herself.

-- My Lady, something tells me that you speak truly. Guillermo was a very brave man, quick to seek satisfaction from one who would dishonor him. Perhaps he was slain in a duel? --

She pauses to think a moment.

-- It was in the church, -- she continues, pointing to the nearby ruins of the former chapel -- where we last made our vows to each other. -- She blushes slightly. -- I know he was not of the True Faith, and that it was wicked to go away with him, but he swore to me that we would be wed in the Church. Is it possible that our plan was discovered? --

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:57 am
by jp1885

Tony coughs politely, somewhat abashed considering his recent performance.

"Please excuse me; it pains me to ask; but was there a rival for the captain's affection, or someone who would object strongly to your union?"

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:11 pm
by SunlessNick
Victoria,Zara tries to scream "No" to Liz, though of course no sound comes out. (She's afraid that if Consuela learns that William might live again, she'll never let Zara's body go - and William did say she would pay a high price for his help in the fire. And now she's afraid that she's just given Consuela that very idea).

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"That may be possible," says Liz. "We should look inside the church next."

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony coughs politely, somewhat abashed considering his recent performance.

"Please excuse me; it pains me to ask; but was there a rival for the captain's affection, or someone who would object strongly to your union?"
With a look of disdain, Zara replies:

-- There were many shameless woman who cast amorous glances in the direction of so bold and handsome a soldier, but they were as nothing to him. As for the objections of my family, that would have vanished once we were wed; I am sure of it! Ah, but now it is too late! --

A few brief sobs follow this statement.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Victoria,Zara tries to scream "No" to Liz, though of course no sound comes out. (She's afraid that if Consuela learns that William might live again, she'll never let Zara's body go - and William did say she would pay a high price for his help in the fire. And now she's afraid that she's just given Consuela that very idea).
Spoiler:
You will find yourself back in control of your body, if a little dazed, once inside the church.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"That may be possible," says Liz. "We should look inside the church next."
There is little left of the little church where Father Junipero Serra once held services. Once the investigators enter the ruins, they notice a change in Zara, who blinks her eyes rapidly and seems a little confused.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:58 pm
by SunlessNick

"Is she gone?" Zara asks. "I c-couldn't do anything!" She tries to take the ring off.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:19 pm
by jp1885

"Oh my goodness!" Tony rushes to Zara. "You're back! I was beginning to worry. I'm very sorry for suggesting you wear that ring."

He will help her remove the ring if she has difficulty.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I wasn't worried," says Liz. "If she hadn't left on her own, I could have driven her out with a circle of protection around you, but she's not an evil spirit. It still can't have been a pleasant experience, and I'm glad you're yourself again, Zara. I'm hoping that, if we can restore William Palliser to life, we can restore her to life as well. Now that we have her name, we should be able to find her grave. If the captain has his love back as well as his life, I think he can be convinced not to seek revenge on the descendants of whoever killed him. Shall we search the church for clues now?"

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:17 pm
by Starspawn338
"Indeed. Let's have a look around."

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A careful search of the area does not reveal anything of interest. The ring proves easy to remove.

By this time, the setting sun casts long shadows of the towering ruins of the mission across the surrounding area. The few tourists take their last photographs and head for their cars. Soon it is too dark to explore any other areas of the mission. Depending on what their plans might be the investigators may wish to make the hour or so drive back to Venice, or to seek lodgings nearby.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"We shall have to return tomorrow," says Liz. "We might as well find a place to crash nearby, so that we can get an earlier start."

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:21 am
by jp1885

"A tourist spot like this, there's bound to be a few hotels hereabouts - I'm sure we can find one that'll accomodate us."

Tony winks at Liz.

"Let's hope it's a full moon tonight..."

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:19 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Full Moon was on the night of November 17, 1967, which is about now, I suppose . . .
It is a easy task to find lodgings at one of the many hotels and motels located near the Mission. After a restful night, the investigators rise the next morning and enjoy a hearty breakfast. (Huevos Rancheros are the specialty of the house, for those with adventurous tastes.)

The local newspaper, in addition to the usual stories about Vietnam and the Apollo project, carries a small "human interest" article, mixed in with the comics, horoscopes, and crossword puzzle, about locals claiming to see a glowing light over the area during the night. Some astronomers suggest it was the full moon or Venus.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Probably responding to the signal given off by that electronic device," says Liz. "I wonder if it's an alien spacecraft. I've always wanted to make contact with aliens."

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:26 pm
by jp1885

"Aliens? Well that'd be a turn up for the books... Do the electronic components on that gizmo look like they come from Earth?"

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:25 pm
by SunlessNick

After her experience, Zara drinks quite heavily in the evening, producing a flask of gin from somewhere - in the morning she's visibly pale and hung over. However the talk of aliens gets her attention. "That'd be way out," she says. "What do they want? Are they looking for ghosts as well."

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:06 pm
by jp1885
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:A careful search of the area does not reveal anything of interest. The ring proves easy to remove.
:)

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:41 pm
by SunlessNick
jp1885 wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:A careful search of the area does not reveal anything of interest. The ring proves easy to remove.
:)
OOC:   Ok, I'm dumb.  

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's the thing about aliens," says Liz. "It's not entirely clear what they might want. We can try to ascribe all sorts of human motivations to them, but their real motives could be unfathomable to us. The components might be from Earth, but that wouldn't necessarily prove anything. Alien visitors could use whatever they can acquire here, especially if they don't want their presence known. We'll have to check it out when we go back, and talk to whoever witnessed the light last night." She reads the article to see if it mentioned any names.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Close examination of the device does not reveal anything that might not be very sophisticated, highly miniaturized, but earthly technology. One might speculate that similar components could be used to manufacture, at great cost, an electronic adding machine no larger than the size of a brick.

Three names listed among the witnesses of the unidentified light in the sky, the rest preferring to remain anonymous, for fear of being ridiculed, are Hector Ortega, pharmacist; Sally Rosen, housewife; and Jimmy Thompson, newspaper boy.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll also want to do some historical research," says Liz. "We can find out in the local records about Captain Palliser and how he died, as well as whatever we can learn about Consuela."

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 am
by jp1885

“I’ll make a few calls about Takara Electronics - I find it no coincidence that they are mooching around the same spot we find electrical gizmos. Perhaps we can the have a chat with these people in the newspaper.”

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 pm
by SunlessNick

"I'll try Hector," Zara suggests. "I wanna get some headache pills anyway."

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'll talk to Sally Rosen, then," says Liz. "She may open up to another woman, and it's a good idea to interview the witnesses as soon as possible, while it's still fresh in their minds."

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The investigators go their separate ways, making arrangements to meet later.
Spoiler:
Tony investigating Takara Electronics. WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Tony is able to make a trunk call to Tokyo, after some trouble with the overseas operator, and talk to an old associate now living in Japan. After some time spent reminiscing about their former relationship, she explains that Takara is deeply involved in the as-yet-unborn Japanese space program, which hopes to launch a satellite of its own by the year 1970. Rumor has it that Takara has much more ambitious plans.

Meanwhile, Zara visits the pharmacy owned and operated by Hector Ortega, who proves to be a man in late middle age, of conservative appearance. When asked about a headache remedy, he remarks that aspirin and the newer Tylenol are still the best thing over-the-counter.

"The British are working on something called ibuprofen," he adds, showing off his professional knowledge, "but it's not on the market yet, even over there. Was there anything else you needed?"

At about the same time, tracking down Mrs Rosen through the simple expedient of the local phone book, Liz winds up at a typical suburban home, with a tricycle lying on the neatly mowed lawn. The woman who comes to the door is in her early thirties, wearing a simple house dress, and keeping a close eye on an active toddler.

"My husband is at work right now," she says by way of introduction, "and I haven't got time to listen to any sales pitch."

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:54 am
by jp1885

Tony thanks his old friend, chuckling at the memory of some of their antics. After jotting down the information, and, assuming no-one else is doing it, he asks around the local newsagents for Jimmy Thompson.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:43 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Meanwhile, Zara visits the pharmacy owned and operated by Hector Ortega, who proves to be a man in late middle age, of conservative appearance. When asked about a headache remedy, he remarks that aspirin and the newer Tylenol are still the best thing over-the-counter.

"The British are working on something called ibuprofen," he adds, showing off his professional knowledge, "but it's not on the market yet, even over there. Was there anything else you needed?"
Zara buys a packet of each, promising not to take them at the same time. As she pays, she says, "I saw you in the paper this morning. I'm a little bit jealous, I slept through it all. What was it like?"

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Actually, I've come to speak to you, Mrs. Rosen," says Liz with a charming smile, "and I'm not selling anything. I'm Dr. Liz North, and I'm investigating the strange lights that were seen over the mission last night. I'd like to hear you describe what you witnessed. I wouldn't mind helping you with the housework while we talk."

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Tony is able to locate Jimmy Thompson, a boy of about thirteen years of age, at a local amusement center, among pinball machines and slot cars. It's not hard to overhear what he's telling his buddies about what he saw during the night.

"I swear, you guys, it was a UFO. Big, bright, white light, floating over my head, without making any noise. Then it just disappeared."

It's obvious that the other boys think he made the whole thing up, just to get attention.

Liz and Zara obtain essentially the same information from their contacts who are both, by this time, a little tired of telling their stories, given that it brought them both more attention than they desired.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:21 am
by jp1885

Tony feeds a few quarters in the machine next to Jimmy and his pals.

"Must've been quite a sight. Where did you see them, over the old mission? Have they been seen before?"

If the lad proves reticent, he will encourage him to speak by stepping away from the machine and letting him take over.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did you notice what time it was when you saw the light?" asks Liz.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony feeds a few quarters in the machine next to Jimmy and his pals.

"Must've been quite a sight. Where did you see them, over the old mission? Have they been seen before?"

If the lad proves reticent, he will encourage him to speak by stepping away from the machine and letting him take over.
Pleased that somebody believes him, Jimmy replies in the affirmative.

"Yeah, right over that ruined church, just after the sun went down. First time I ever seen 'em. Did you see 'em too, Mister?"

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Did you notice what time it was when you saw the light?" asks Liz.
"Maybe seven o'clock. Just when it was starting to get dark. I was taking Johnny here for a little walk, down by the mission. Wish I'd never seen the things, the way folks are making fun of me. You some kind of reporter or something?"

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:24 pm
by jp1885

Tony grins at the kid.

”No, but I wish I had - sounds pretty cool! You ever noticed anything else weird around there?”

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:12 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Liz and Zara obtain essentially the same information from their contacts who are both, by this time, a little tired of telling their stories, given that it brought them both more attention than they desired.

"I'm sorry, I get it might be a drag to keep talking about it, Zara says in a sheepish tone (and trying to look pretty). "I just wish so much I could have seen it myself. Could you just tell me where's a good place to go watch for if it comes back? Then I'll stop bugging you."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I'm a scientist who specialises in investigating the unusual, the unexplained," says Liz. "I for one believe you. You're not the only one who has seen such things."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:

Tony grins at the kid.

”No, but I wish I had - sounds pretty cool! You ever noticed anything else weird around there?”

Jimmy thinks about it.

"Well, there was this time a while back, maybe three or four days ago, when I was foolin' around down by the mission, and there were these two really big guys, like wrestlers or somethin', and this lady in one of those suits the lady wears on that English TV show they show on ABC late Friday night. Oh, yeah, The Avengers. I always get it mixed up with the comic book. Anyway, they were talkin' some kind of foreign language and lookin' all over the place, I dunno why. Seemed kinda funny, you know?"

Jimmy digs through a pile of old magazines sitting on a battered desk in a corner of the amusement center, finally locating a copy of TV Guide that's been sitting there for several months.

"There she is. Say, that guy on TV talks kind of like you, huh?"

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"I'm sorry, I get it might be a drag to keep talking about it, Zara says in a sheepish tone (and trying to look pretty). "I just wish so much I could have seen it myself. Could you just tell me where's a good place to go watch for if it comes back? Then I'll stop bugging you."
"Why don't you try the Capistrano Trading Post? They just remodeled the place." He hands the young woman a postcard with a picture of the local tourist attraction. "They know everything that's going on in town."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: "No, I'm a scientist who specialises in investigating the unusual, the unexplained," says Liz. "I for one believe you. You're not the only one who has seen such things."
A bit shyly, the woman obtains a small pamphlet from the kitchen table and hands it to Liz.

"Maybe you'd want to talk to my pastor, then."

The pamphlet briefly describes a local congregation associated with the Agasha Temple of Wisdom, a group founded in Los Angeles in 1943. The pamphlet reproduces the symbol of the organization, which is a Spiritualist sect.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:33 am
by jp1885

Tony grins; being likened to John Steed being the highest form of flattery. The kid’s description of the foreigners is less welcome however - is Bolowski mixed up in all this?

“Did these people speak like this?

He tries out a few Russian phrases that he’s picked up over the years.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:02 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Why don't you try the Capistrano Trading Post? They just remodeled the place." He hands the young woman a postcard with a picture of the local tourist attraction. "They know everything that's going on in town."

"Thankyou so much! And for the pills. You've been really great." Zara takes a couple of the asprin, then heads back to rejoin the others.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, I'd like that," says Liz, accepting the pamphlet and looking through it.
OOC,The picture isn't showing up for me, but I was able to see it by quoting your post and copying the URL directly into the browser.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony grins; being likened to John Steed being the highest form of flattery. The kid’s description of the foreigners is less welcome however - is Bolowski mixed up in all this?

“Did these people speak like this?

He tries out a few Russian phrases that he’s picked up over the years.
"Yeah, kinda like that. Hey, you wouldn't be working for U.N.C.L.E. or somethin' like that, would ya?"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Thank you, I'd like that," says Liz, accepting the pamphlet and looking through it.
OOC,The picture isn't showing up for me, but I was able to see it by quoting your post and copying the URL directly into the browser.
The pamphlet mostly describes the sect's belief that those who have gone Beyond can communicate with those still in the Earthly realm, under the proper circumstances. It goes on to list the congregation's address and the days and times of services.

Once the adventurers are back together, they share their information and makes plans for further investigations.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am
by jp1885

Tapping his nose conspiratorially, Tony grins at the kid before handing him a fistful of quarters.

He returns to the others and relays what he's learned.

"So we have restless spirits, a weird sect, a nascent Japanese space program, UFOs and possible Russian spies. I don't mind telling you that the whole thing has me somewhat flummoxed. Perhaps some of us should do some historical research on the good captain and his intended bride while the rest check out this sect. Then, when night falls we can stake out the mission?"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:24 pm
by SunlessNick

"The Russians were interested in that probe to Venus, weren't they?" Zara asks.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:26 pm
by Starspawn338
"That sounds like a good idea." Lew will go to the library and see if he can come up with some information about Captain William Palliser and Consuela Maria Concepción Ruiz y Calderón and how they are related to the Mission.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:42 pm
by jp1885

“Good point Zara. Maybe I’ll give our old pal Agent Carson a call; try to find out if his Agency boffins discovered anything about that equipment we found near the Embalmer’s lair.”

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Being the resident expert on the paranormal, and having been invited, I should definitely go to the Agasha Temple," says Liz. "Sounds like a good plan. The Russians do have an interest in space, yes. I can't help but wonder if this craft is a hoax they're perpetrating. It could be something they built to make people think it's aliens. What better way to dominate the world than to trick everyone into uniting due to a perceived threat from beyond? Under their banner, of course. I saw something like it in an episode of The Outer Limits: The Architects of Fear."

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: "That sounds like a good idea." Lew will go to the library and see if he can come up with some information about Captain William Palliser and Consuela Maria Concepción Ruiz y Calderón and how they are related to the Mission.
Spoiler:
INT = 16 + 1 for Librarian Avocation = 17[dice]0[/dice]
Searching through dusty archives with the help of a friendly priest, Lew discovers a few loose pages from a diary kept by a monk/physician of the time. Piecing together the fragile fragments and translating them from a mixture of slightly archaic Spanish and ecclesiastical Latin, a tale full of romance and tragedy emerges. If a popular writer -- say, Jacqueline Susann -- were to base an historical novel on these shreds of evidence, the blurb on the back of the paperback, which might cost a dollar or even more in these inflationary times, might read something like this.

Two lovers bonded by passion, but torn apart by faith!

A priest, loyal to his church but sympathetic to the pair, ready to join them in a secret marriage!

An angry father, a cruel mother, a vengeful brother, sworn to separate the ill-fated couple!

A bullet! A shallow grave! A mourning bride-to-be!

Could anyone solve the tragic . . .

Mystery of Capistrano

Soon to be a Major Motion Picture

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
“Good point Zara. Maybe I’ll give our old pal Agent Carson a call; try to find out if his Agency boffins discovered anything about that equipment we found near the Embalmer’s lair.”
Spoiler:
I'll use Carson's INT of 9 + 1 for Government Contact to see if he knows anything more than what has already been revealed, assuming he's ready to give you the information.[dice]0[/dice]
Decrypted from a secure telephone line:

Glad to hear you're still on the case, friend. It was getting too weird for the Company. Anyway, the boys in the white coats came up with something. It looks like the gizmo is intended for long distance teleoperation. I mean, very long distance. Suppose you want to drive a buggy around on the Moon, like some of the guys at NASA are gassing about, but you want to stay at home, feet up on the couch, watching the whole thing on your color TV. With this baby, you could control the vehicle as if you were at the wheel. Of course, there's the whole time delay thing; speed of light and all that jazz. And the lab doesn't know what it's supposed to control. Hope that helps a little.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Being the resident expert on the paranormal, and having been invited, I should definitely go to the Agasha Temple," says Liz. "Sounds like a good plan. The Russians do have an interest in space, yes. I can't help but wonder if this craft is a hoax they're perpetrating. It could be something they built to make people think it's aliens. What better way to dominate the world than to trick everyone into uniting due to a perceived threat from beyond? Under their banner, of course. I saw something like it in an episode of The Outer Limits: The Architects of Fear."
The pamphlet lists a service taking place early that evening. The local branch of the Agasha Temple proves to be nothing more than an ordinary California ranch home, and the congregation no more than about a dozen persons. Among them is Mrs. Rosen, who introduces Liz to the others as a fellow Seeker of Truth. Before the service, casual conversation over fruit punch and cookies reveals that fact that Mr. Rosen stays at home with Johnny during these meetings.

After a very non-denominational prayer and a few moments of meditation, the group, seated in various places in a large living room, prepares for the main part of the service. The nominal head of the group, although he really does little more than provide a meeting place in his house, is an elderly gentleman, very soft spoken. He addresses the others.

"Is there anyone here who wishes to contact the Other Side?"

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:52 am
by jp1885

"Thanks for the information. We've found another piece of electronics that might be linked with our mutual friend Bolowski - some kind of transmitter. If I take some photos, can I post them to you chaps so that you can compare the components to that other doodad?"

Tony presses on, unable to sate his curiosity.

"I say, did you chaps ever find anything else of interest in the Embalmer's lair?"

If Carson is agreeable, Tony will head back to the others and try to take some snaps of the device with his mini-camera.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I would," says Liz. "I'd like to speak to William Palliser." She doesn't give away any more information about him yet, so that she'll be able to better tell whether they have genuine abilities or if this another fraud.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:26 am
by SunlessNick

Zara goes to the Capistrano trading post. She browses for a bit, listening for anyone talking about the sightings - if she finds anyone, she tries to work her way into the conversation, using the same approach as she did with the pharmacist, being envious, having slept through it.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:47 am
by Starspawn338
Lew thanks the priest for all his help deciphering the pages.

"Does it say if the shallow grave was ever discovered?"

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Thanks for the information. We've found another piece of electronics that might be linked with our mutual friend Bolowski - some kind of transmitter. If I take some photos, can I post them to you chaps so that you can compare the components to that other doodad?"
"A-OK with Uncle Sam. Send 'em through a safe drop we got stashed in a joint called the Capistrano Trading Post. Little slot in the wall just behind the Coke machine."
Tony presses on, unable to sate his curiosity.

"I say, did you chaps ever find anything else of interest in the Embalmer's lair?"
"Zilch. Doesn't look like that kook had anything to do with the stuff. Case has been sent over to the FBI, what the G-Men call the X-files Unit. Might as well drop it into the Black Hole of Calcutta, as far as the Company is concerned. You know how J. Edgar can be."
If Carson is agreeable, Tony will head back to the others and try to take some snaps of the device with his mini-camera.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I would," says Liz. "I'd like to speak to William Palliser." She doesn't give away any more information about him yet, so that she'll be able to better tell whether they have genuine abilities or if this another fraud.
The members of the congregation close their eyes and sit in quiet meditation for several minutes.
Spoiler:
Group WIS of the sect = 15[dice]0[/dice]
Liz hears a deep masculine voice coming from no place in particular. The other persons present maintain their silence, as if they are not aware of the sound.

Blast and be damned! These comings and goings at the whim of any jackanape who fancies himself Merlin do weary a restless soul. Where is that drunken bluestocking who owes me service? Has my carcass yet been found, that I may have rest? Speak, woman!

After this statement, the others open their eyes, apparently quite refreshed, as after a peaceful sleep. The elderly man asks "Were you able to contact your loved one?"

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara goes to the Capistrano trading post. She browses for a bit, listening for anyone talking about the sightings - if she finds anyone, she tries to work her way into the conversation, using the same approach as she did with the pharmacist, being envious, having slept through it.
After wandering around a bit, among the bags of potato chips, bumper stickers, and T-shirts, Zara overhears a conversation between two men in Western gear.

"I don't care if they're Russkies or little green men. I say we go out and shoot down the durn things. Can't be up to no good, sneakin' around like that, scarin' folks."

"You think you can hit a UFO with a rifle?"

"Just try me!"

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew thanks the priest for all his help deciphering the pages.

"Does it say if the shallow grave was ever discovered?"
"That does not appear to be recorded in the scraps we have of the diary, I'm afraid. There was quite a lot of empty desert land around here back then, you know. Be difficult to find these days. Might be under a parking lot," he adds, with a chuckle.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:47 am
by jp1885

Assuming that Tony has access to the device (catching up with Liz if she still has it), he will take photos and, rather than waste time getting them developed, will take the roll of film to the described safe drop at the trading post.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, but I don't think he liked being disturbed," says Liz. "Captain Palliser, I apologise for the interruption, but I've met your love, Consuela Maria Concepción Ruiz y Calderón. I'm hoping she may be able to help us find your body. Perhaps if we can find hers as well, you can be reunited. What can you tell me about her?"

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:49 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I don't care if they're Russkies or little green men. I say we go out and shoot down the durn things. Can't be up to no good, sneakin' around like that, scarin' folks."

"Just try me!"

"Are you talking about those light?" Zara asks. Adjusting her planned approach, she continues, "I didn't see them, but they sound way scary."

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:39 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Yes, but I don't think he liked being disturbed," says Liz. "Captain Palliser, I apologise for the interruption, but I've met your love, Consuela Maria Concepción Ruiz y Calderón. I'm hoping she may be able to help us find your body. Perhaps if we can find hers as well, you can be reunited. What can you tell me about her?"
The voice which only Liz can hear sounds more subdued.

"Oh, yes, Connie. A toothsome little wench. Hot temper but cold embraces, ha-ha. Wanted a wedding ring before sharing a boudoir, what? Well, I could put up with that for a while. Never had a chance, though. Bullet will do that to a fellow. Last I heard of the lady -- last I heard of anything, blast it all -- she was praying for my soul, in the little church at Capistrano. Papist lass, you know. Wonder what ever became of her, after I was so rudely removed from the Earthly realm. Probably married some Don, gave him heirs, and got old and fat. Pity, that."

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:42 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I don't care if they're Russkies or little green men. I say we go out and shoot down the durn things. Can't be up to no good, sneakin' around like that, scarin' folks."

"Just try me!"
"Are you talking about those light?" Zara asks. Adjusting her planned approach, she continues, "I didn't see them, but they sound way scary."
"Now you don't worry your pretty little head none, missy. Long me and the boys are around, we'll take care of 'em. Gonna go out tonight and see if we can chase 'em down."

During this conversation, Tony enters the store and discreetly places the photos in the place requested.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah," says Liz. Love them and leave them, she thinks, that sounds more like the William Palliser that Henry North knew. I'd hoped he'd found true love at last, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Either way, her heart would have been broken. "We're sure your remains are somewhere in the mission at Capistrano, but we've just started to look around, and others are showing interest in the place too. We did find her ring, which when Zara put it on, allowed the woman's spirit to temporarily speak through her. We also found a piece of lace that might have been hers, as well as an electrical device more advanced than anything Dr. Henry North would have made. Do you remember where exactly you were right before you died? If we can find where it happened, we may be able to locate clues there, even though your body was no doubt moved afterwards."

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:34 pm
by jp1885

After making the drop, Tony saunters over to Zara, eavesdropping as he does so.

"It was Ruskies from what I hear," he drawls. "Damn commies..."

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:05 am
by SunlessNick

"Sounds like aliens to me," Zara replies, hoping a disagreement will get people talking.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:34 am
by Starspawn338
Lew will head back to the Trading Post and inform the others what he found when they are alone.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Ah," says Liz. Love them and leave them, she thinks, that sounds more like the William Palliser that Henry North knew. I'd hoped he'd found true love at last, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Either way, her heart would have been broken. "We're sure your remains are somewhere in the mission at Capistrano, but we've just started to look around, and others are showing interest in the place too. We did find her ring, which when Zara put it on, allowed the woman's spirit to temporarily speak through her. We also found a piece of lace that might have been hers, as well as an electrical device more advanced than anything Dr. Henry North would have made. Do you remember where exactly you were right before you died? If we can find where it happened, we may be able to locate clues there, even though your body was no doubt moved afterwards."
"Seems to me I had just located a bottle of that rough red wine the Dons favor when a pistol shot rang out. Priests had their own winery, you know; one thing I can say in favor of the Papists. Bah. This chatter wears a soul out. . ."

With that, the voice fades away, leaving the members of the temple curious as to what their visitor has experienced.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At the trading post, a wide of variety of opinions as to the mysterious lights are offered by the locals, from hallucination or hoax to Martians or Viet Cong. There does not appear to be any consensus.

"You folks ain't from around here," says one wiry young man. "How'd you get mixed up in this thing, anyway?"

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:17 pm
by jp1885

"We're journalists."

Tony taps his nose conspiratorially.

"Don't tell The Man that we're poking around though."

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"He did speak with me," says Liz. "It was brief, but he did tell me something of use."

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The members of the small spiritualist congregation accept Liz at her word, having apparently been unaware of anything she might have experienced.

"Come back whenever you like," the elderly gentleman says. "There is always more wisdom to be learned from those who have gone Beyond."

Meanwhile, at the trading post, the investigators pick up enough conversation to discover that a group of men -- generally of the kind who might have been at home on the Western frontier a century ago -- plan to show up at the time, not long after sundown, when the strange lights are expected to appear.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:11 am
by jp1885

Tony holds conference with Lew and Zara.

“It seems there might be something of a posse roaming around tonight. They’ll make a nice distraction; enabling us to observe the proceedings from the shadows.”

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers," says Liz. She makes her farewells to the group and goes to rejoin her friends.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some time spent recuperating from their various and sundry experiences, the investigators gather that evening at the time and place agreed upon, to witness some of the cowboy-like men standing about the Mission. Due to the chill of early November, even in sunny Southern California, there are no other persons about the place.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
There are three of the men, much alike in appearance, one carrying a movie camera and another with a shotgun, carried in as discrete a manner as possible against his leg, aimed at the ground.

After some time, a bright light appears in the sky, apparently moving slowly against the background of stars. The man with the movie camera attempts to capture an image of it. This is likely to be dim and blurry at best, given the darkness and the movement of the light. The man with the shot gun readies it, but as of yet makes no movement to aim it at the light.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
A beam of ruby-red light streaks down from the object, striking the ground at quite a distance away from the men and the investigators, raising a little dust.

"I reckon maybe it's tryin' to talk to us," the third man whispers to his companions.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:52 pm
by SunlessNick

"Far out," Zara whispers at the first sight of the light. She flinches when the beam hits the ground - and the man states his opinion, she adds, "Do you think he's right, or are they just rubbish shots?"

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:52 pm
by jp1885

"Let's hope no one has to find out," Tony mutters.

Squinting, he tries to see past the strange light and make out what device or vehicle is making it.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:35 am
by Starspawn338
"I commend them for not trying to immediately shoot it out of the sky." Lew nods in approval.

"I wonder what is next though." He says as he continues to watch from cover.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a laser," says Liz, "but this one seems to be a weapon, and I do think they're rubbish shots. Let's hope they stay that way." She hides and takes out her compact, opening it up to reveal the mirror. "Dr. Henry North once reflected a laser weapon back at its wielder with a mirror. It is made of light, after all." She holds the mirror ready in case the light comes their way.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
After a minute or so, a second beam of red light emerges from whatever it is that is hovering above, and strikes the lens of the movie camera. The man holding it lets out a shout and drops it.

"Yow!" He shakes his hand and blows on it. "Dang thing's red hot!"

"One of them phasers, like on TV," the man without the gun replies. "Set to stun, I betcha."

The third man says nothing, aims his shotgun, and fires.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
"Bullseye!" he shouts with glee.

Dropping straight down is a device, about the size of a large television set. It consists of a spherical body with four claw-like extensions, all of dull gray metal. There are several tiny lights of many colors blinking on and off on the body, as well as what appears to be a slender cylindrical tube. At the end of each claw is a rapidly spinning fan, producing a high-pitched whining noise that decreases as the object lands, falling to the ground slowly. After it reaches the Earth, the claws move about in such a way that the device approaches the three men, moving in clumsy, crab-like fashion.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
The man with the shotgun, perhaps realizing that he has bitten off more than he can chew, runs off with his weapon. The other two men remain. The one who dropped the movie camera allows the object to near him, while the other backs up, carefully maintaining his distance.

The man close to the machine leans over and speaks loudly and slowly.

"WHERE. DID. YOU. COME. FROM?"

There is no response as the device creeps toward him.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 am
by jp1885

Tony strides forward, doing his best James Bond impersonation.

“Good shot sir - you gentlemen are a credit to your country. However, perhaps you should let the professionals take it from here.”

He approaches the device and attempts to flick it onto its back with his stick. If it attempts to fire a beam at him, he will bring his stick down on the offending lens.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, you should stay well back," says Liz, rummaging through her equipment and trying to hastily assemble an electromagnetic pulse device. It doesn't have to last for very long or have a lot of range, it just has to work once, quick and dirty.
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15) to make an EMP weapon: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:50 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara's pretty happy to let the dashing adventurer and occult science expert to be the ones to get close to that thing.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:41 am
by Starspawn338
"Quite unexpected." Lew will stay under cover.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony strides forward, doing his best James Bond impersonation.

“Good shot sir - you gentlemen are a credit to your country. However, perhaps you should let the professionals take it from here.”

He approaches the device and attempts to flick it onto its back with his stick. If it attempts to fire a beam at him, he will bring his stick down on the offending lens.
Spoiler:
DEX = 14 + 3 for Bartitsu = 17[dice]0[/dice]
With the grace of an expert fencer, Tony is able to turn the machine onto its back with ease. The four claws clatter and snap as the device, much like a turtle on its back, struggles to regain an upright position.

Meanwhile the jury-rigged mechanism created by Liz produces a brief electromagnetic pulse in the immediate vicinity. The device grows quiescent, although the slow blinking of the multicolored lights on its body indicate that it still retains some power.

"My watch has done stopped," the man with the camera says.

"Mine, too," his buddy replies. "I'm gettin' out of here."

The two leave with some haste.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am
by jp1885

“Alley oop!”

Tony grins as the machine flips over. After Liz disables it, he gingerly pokes it with his stick.

”Do you think it’s safe to pick up? We should take it apart and compare the components with that transmitter we found.”

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sorry about the watches!" calls Liz after the retreating men. "I believe that was my fault!" She approaches the disabled robot and inspects it. "Should be harmless enough now, though it may be partially shielded if some of the lights are still on. Let's get it to a lab so I can take it apart and see what makes it tick."

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the device is inspected, a high-pitched noise emerges from it. Several dogs in the vicinity bark and whine. The sound eventually decreases in volume, but does not cease. All the lights except one, a red bulb in the center of the spherical body, cease blinking. This one continues, flashing on and off about once per second.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:05 pm
by jp1885

"Two thoughts occur to me," says Tony as he watches the light blinking. "That noise could have been a distress call and that light could be a self-destruct countdown. Perhaps we'd better work fast..."

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"My thoughts exactly," says Liz, taking Tony's hand and running. "Let's get clear, we can't take a chance on how long we've got!"

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:32 am
by Starspawn338
"Do you think it's an explosive?" Lew takes his queue from the others and gets away as quickly as he can.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the investigators hasten away from the device, the sound of a helicopter can be heard approaching at a rapid pace. It manages to find an acceptable landing place, not without some damage to the already crumbling remains of the mission.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
A pair of men, both dressed in what seem to be black utility suits or overalls, hop out of the aircraft, leaving the pilot, whose features remain unseen in the darkness, inside, with the motor running, ready for takeoff. Ducking low, they run to the object, inspect it, and speak briefly to each other in low voices. One man picks it up, cradling it in his arms like an infant, while the other pulls a heavy flashlight out of a deep pocket of his suit and beams it in all directions, searching for something.
Spoiler:
average wis or int of 9[dice]1[/dice]
Evidently he does not see anything of interest. The men run back to the helicopter. Its propellers whine as the pilot makes it ready for takeoff

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:00 pm
by jp1885

“We need to stop that chopper!” Tony yells over the noise. Can you frazzle it with your device Liz?

Head bent low, he scuttles towards the helicopter whilst looking for something to throw into the tail rotor.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:53 am
by SunlessNick

Zara fishes in her pocket for the penknife, but doesn't approach the helicopter yet.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"I sure can, if I can get close enough before they take off," says Liz, already racing for the helicopter as she fiddles with her makeshift device. "At least we know it's not aliens."

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 am
by Starspawn338
"I bet they're looking for that thing you found in the ground earlier Liz." Lew shouts as he hurries forward towards the helicopter.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Either that or those who disturbed it," Liz calls, "namely us!"

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the investigators approach, they are able to hear, over the roar of the helicopter's engines, shouted conversation from the men, in Russian.

-- Someone comes! --

-- Can we not take off? --

They are answered by a woman's voice.

-- Blasted engine! --
Spoiler:
Since a helicopter is a much larger device than the drone or the two watches of the men, I'll give the folks inside it a chance to get the engine working properly. Average INT of 9[dice]0[/dice]
-- A-ha! I have fixed it! --

As the machine vaults into the sky, one of the two men aims a pistol at the investigators and fires.
Spoiler:
Due to darkness and the moving helicopter, I'll reduce DEX to 3[dice]1[/dice]
The shot goes wild, kicking up dirt from the ground. The helicopter roars away.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:47 pm
by jp1885

Cursing colourfully, Tony watches the helicopter peel away for a second. Then he races off to the nearest pay phone to call Agent Carson in an attempt to get the chopper intercepted.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Probably just as well," says Liz. "Like the proverbial dog chasing the car, what would we have done if we had caught it?" She goes over to the landing site and inspects it for any clues that may have been left behind in the Russians' haste to depart. "They have to have a base for that chopper, and we may be able to track it down using the radio detection equipment I still have. That drone was giving off a signal, and it most likely still is. I can take readings from here and another position to triangulate its location once it stops moving."

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Cursing colourfully, Tony watches the helicopter peel away for a second. Then he races off to the nearest pay phone to call Agent Carson in an attempt to get the chopper intercepted.
A series of hurried phone calls over secured lines yields the information that an attempt to pursue the helicopter, made by LAPD choppers, failed to detain the vehicle, but managed to determine that it headed out to sea.

Some time later, triangulation, making use of Liz's equipment, manages to pinpoint the current location of the device somewhere in the Channel Islands, a group of eight small bodies of land off the coast of Southern California. Its exact location is impossible to determine with more accuracy from the mainland. The investigators are currently due east of the northern tip of Santa Catalina Island, the only permanently inhabited island in the group, with the famous tourist town of Avalon and its landmark Casino. (Despite the name, it has never been used as a place of gambling; instead it serves as movie theater, ballroom, and museum.)

Ferries leave every day for the short trip to Santa Catalina Island; reaching the other islands in the group requires more effort.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:24 pm
by jp1885

Tony studies Liz’s readings.

“Hmm, looks like a trip out to sea is in order. Though perhaps we should dig the ground where that gizmo was probing first? Unless, of course, it was looking for the other gizmo... it’s all rather confusing...”

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:09 pm
by SunlessNick

"Couldn't hurt to look," Zara says. "And we've still got to suss out what to do about the Captain."

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'll also want to take another look at the mission," says Liz. "Now that we know where he died, we may find more clues there as to what happened to his body. As for finding the Russian base, there's a lot of area to cover, and it could be on any of those islands. We need some way to narrow it down further. Maybe their little gadget is still transmitting, though. The RDF gear can get a better fix as we get closer."

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being little point to making a search at this time of night, the investigators settle in for the night, to compare notes, suggest strategies, and get a good night's sleep. Ready for a fresh start in the morning, they return to the Mission, still a relatively quiet place at this time of year. Among the few persons present are a couple of men recognizable as members of the Takara group previously encountered, walking slowly from place to place, studying the ground. One holds a slender rod of metal attached to a black box carried in his hand, the other a long, forked piece of wood. Occasionally they pick something off the ground, only to toss it aside after a brief examination.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 pm
by jp1885

“If we haven’t already found it, something tells me we need to find whatever it is before our Japanese chums do,” says Tony, eyeing the Takara employees warily as he scrabbles up the dirt that the gizmo shone its beam on.

“I say, would anyone care to locate the old wine cellar in the meantime? That’s the only lead our gallant captain has given us so far.”

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:24 pm
by Starspawn338
"Finding the wine cellar sounds like a capital idea, much better than scrabbling around in the dirt." Lew replies. "Especially since I believe that we already found what they're looking for. But why the Japanese and the Russians are both looking for it is another question."

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like they're using a metal detector and a dowsing rod," says Liz. "They've got all the bases covered. I'm not sure what they're looking for, but it's not necessarily the same thing we are. The wine room is in the corner, next to the cemetery. We should look there first. The cemetery is of interest too; he may be buried there. The winery is in the opposite corner, so if we don't find anything there, that could be our next stop."

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Searching the old wine room. (Note that this is not the same as the winery, which is located on the opposite of the plaza.) WIS: Liz = 10 + 1 for Discover Secrets = 11 + 3 for Sharp Eyes = 14; Zara = 11 + 1 for Perception = 12; Lew = 10 + 3 for Shrewd = 13; Tony = 11. (I'm giving lots of relevant bonuses to Wisdom for a particular reason.) In that order:[dice]0[/dice]
The investigators make their way to the ruins of the room formerly used to store wines produced by the mission's wine press. It was a fairly large room, indicating that wine was used not only during Mass, but also for ordinary purposes of consumption, and perhaps even sold to whoever had the coins to pay for it.

After some careful digging of the ground that lies beneath the remnants of the decorative tiles that once formed the floor of the room, all present except Lew make extraordinary discoveries. Each one finds a bottle of wine, obviously of great age, buried beneath the dry earth. There seems to have been some evaporation over time, even though each bottle is sealed with a thick cork and red wax. How it could be possible that they have survived something like two centuries, or why no one has ever found them before, is impossible to say

Even more puzzling, however, is the fact that the thick, irregular, dark green glass of each bottle bears a word engraved upon it, and no other kind of labeling. It is easier to read it by touch than by vision. They are inscribed thus:

Isabel

Zarita

Antonio

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:19 pm
by jp1885

“Isabel, Zarita, Antonio: Liz, Zara and Tony. Our own personal vintages, what?”

Tony uncorks ‘his’ bottle and takes a sniff.

“When one is bought a drink, it’s rude not to accept...”

Throwing caution to the wind, he knocks back the contents of the bottle.

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:27 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara takes hers. Before uncorking it, she looks around, saying "There's got to be one for Lew around here, right?" But then she opens the bottle and takes a deep drink.

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Liz, picking up the Isabel bottle, taking out her Swiss Army Knife, and using the corkscrew attachment to open it. "Isabel is the Spanish equivalent of Elizabeth, and the other names are similar too. Someone left these for us a very long time ago, someone with accurate knowledge of the future. I don't think there's wine in here, though. More like a message in a bottle." She looks in the bottle first rather than drink from it sight unseen so as not to risk getting hit in the mouth with a rolled-up piece of paper.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
“Isabel, Zarita, Antonio: Liz, Zara and Tony. Our own personal vintages, what?”

Tony uncorks ‘his’ bottle and takes a sniff.

“When one is bought a drink, it’s rude not to accept...”

Throwing caution to the wind, he knocks back the contents of the bottle.
Spoiler:
The wine is very thick and nearly as sour as vinegar. It seems to go directly to your head, inducing a brief vision or hallucination -- perhaps something like Doctor Honeydew's concoctions? In any case, it produces an image of a man, dressed in clothing of the early 19th century, holding a loaf of bread in his hand.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara takes hers. Before uncorking it, she looks around, saying "There's got to be one for Lew around here, right?" But then she opens the bottle and takes a deep drink.
Spoiler:
The wine is very thick and nearly as sour as vinegar. It seems to go directly to your head, inducing a brief vision or hallucination -- perhaps something like Doctor Honeydew's concoctions? In any case, it produces an image of a man, dressed in clothing of the early 19th century, with a handful of olives.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Indeed," says Liz, picking up the Isabel bottle, taking out her Swiss Army Knife, and using the corkscrew attachment to open it. "Isabel is the Spanish equivalent of Elizabeth, and the other names are similar too. Someone left these for us a very long time ago, someone with accurate knowledge of the future. I don't think there's wine in here, though. More like a message in a bottle." She looks in the bottle first rather than drink from it sight unseen so as not to risk getting hit in the mouth with a rolled-up piece of paper.
Spoiler:
There seems to be nothing inside the bottle but liquid.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:19 am
by Starspawn338
"Well, I was never much of a drinker." Lew says. "And it's probably better if one of us isn't drinking."

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:43 am
by jp1885

If possible, Tony will attempt to converse with the fellow in his vision. Failing that, he will describe what he saw to the others and bid Liz to drink from her bottle.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:17 pm
by SunlessNick

"Are you Captain Palliser?" Zara asks to the man in her vision. (Or possibly Pallisher given the description of the wine's other effects).

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, it's best if you drive," Liz says to Lew. "Well, bottoms up!" She raises the bottle to her lips and drinks.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Yes, it's best if you drive," Liz says to Lew. "Well, bottoms up!" She raises the bottle to her lips and drinks.
Spoiler:
The wine is very thick and nearly as sour as vinegar. It seems to go directly to your head, inducing a brief vision or hallucination -- perhaps something like Doctor Honeydew's concoctions? In any case you see a man dressed in clothing of the early 19th century, holding in one hand a loaf of bread, and in another a bunch of olives. The vision fades away without speaking.

By the way, the wine, or whatever it is, has a remarkable intoxicating effect; until further notice, you are slightly drunk. You have the temporary Assets of Brave and Resistant to Pain, but the temporary Afflictions of Clumsy, Slow-witted, and Easily Fooled.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
If possible, Tony will attempt to converse with the fellow in his vision. Failing that, he will describe what he saw to the others and bid Liz to drink from her bottle.
Spoiler:
The vision fades without speaking. By the way, the wine, or whatever it is, has a remarkable intoxicating effect; until further notice, you are slightly drunk. You have the temporary Assets of Brave and Resistant to Pain, but the temporary Afflictions of Clumsy, Slow-witted, and Easily Fooled.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Are you Captain Palliser?" Zara asks to the man in her vision. (Or possibly Pallisher given the description of the wine's other effects).
Spoiler:
The vision fades without speaking. By the way, the wine, or whatever it is, has a remarkable intoxicating effect; until further notice, you are slightly drunk. You have the temporary Assets of Brave and Resistant to Pain, but the temporary Afflictions of Clumsy, Slow-witted, and Easily Fooled.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: "Well, I was never much of a drinker." Lew says. "And it's probably better if one of us isn't drinking."
Spoiler:
It is quite obvious that your companions are drunk, to a much greater extent than one swallow of wine should produce.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 am
by jp1885

Thankfully, Tony has always been a happy drunk. He staggers forward a little, barely keeping his balance as he holds the bottle up to his eye, peering through it at the others as one might use a telescope.

“I see no ships, haha!”

He grins a foolish grin.

“Bl’dy good stuff what? D-did you see what I saw? S’m fella holdin’ a loaf of whatchamacallit, bread? Wassat s’posed to mean eh?”

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"I shaw it too!" slurs Liz. "He had bread and wossnames...grows on vines...not grapes, the other ones...olives, that's it! Should have known that one. My brain doeshn't work sho well when I've had a lot of alka...er, drink. There'sh a bakery here shomewhere, an' an olive presh. It'sh right over...there..." She spins around with her finger outstretched, then falls over giggling. Somehow she manages to right herself and even point in approximately the right direction. "Bakery firsht, I guesh."

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The investigators make their way, somewhat unevenly, to the remains of the old bakery. There is little left of the place, after all this time, but one of vivid imagination, particularly under the effect of alcohol, might conjure up a vision of folks hard at work, kneading dough and placing it into stone ovens squatting above wood-burning fires. The ground is covered with dirt and rubble. It may be just a dream, but does it feel warmer here, and is that the smell of warm bread in the air?

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:28 pm
by jp1885

Tony stumbles around the area, mooching around the rubble.

“I love th’ smell of f-fresh bread, don’ you?”

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Mmm," says Liz, opening up one of the ovens and inhaling as she looks inside, fully expecting in her drunken state that there is bread baking in there somehow.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 pm
by SunlessNick

"It wzh jusht olives I shaw," Zara says. She leaves Liz to check the bakery, and takes a look at the olive press.

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At the bakery:
Spoiler:
Liz Wis = 10 + 1 for Discover Secrets = 11, Tony = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Despite their current state of apparent inebriation, both Liz and Tony discover, hidden well within the rubble that covers what little is left of the original ovens, what appears to be the lower half of a human skull, obviously of great age.

Zara, meanwhile unsteadily makes her way across the large patio to what is left of the olive press.
Spoiler:
dex = 13 - 3 for temporary Affliction of Clumsy = 10[dice]1[/dice]
Perhaps because she is wearing high heels, along the way she takes a fall, covering her face and stylish clothing with the dust that covers the patio.
Spoiler:
Lose the Asset of Beautiful until cleaned up.
Recovering herself, but perhaps not all her dignity, she makes her way to the olive press.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 Perceptive = 12[dice]2[/dice]
Perhaps because the recent fall has cleared her senses a bit, she discovers the top half of a human skull hidden beneath the remnants of the press.

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:29 pm
by jp1885

“Oh crickey! Are y’alright m’dear?”

Holding the skull part he has found, Tony staggers over to help Zara to her feet.

Trying, somewhat ineffectually, to dust her down, he notices the other part of the skull.

“I s-say, we’ll spotted! I have the b-bread an’ you have th’ olives. Mebbe Liz has to put ‘em t’gether.”

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:52 pm
by Starspawn338
"What do you have there?" Lew says and takes the two halves of the skull and attempts to put them together.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 am
by SunlessNick

Zara slightly guility enjoys Tony's attempts to help (since she knows he and Liz are becoming an item). But still. "I think it's him," she says to Lew.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yesh, besht you do that," says Liz, going to rejoin Lew. "I'd be rubbish at it while I'm a dizzy Lizzy." She watches Lew assemble the skull. "Alash, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio."

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: "What do you have there?" Lew says and takes the two halves of the skull and attempts to put them together.
Spoiler:
int = 16[dice]0[/dice]dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]
Although the highly educated and clever Lew studies the skull carefully, and manipulates the two halves as best he can, he finds it impossible to fit them together perfectly. It's not absolutely clear to him, in fact, that they are parts of the same skull, or simply similar in size and general shape.

This manipulation of old bones draws the attention of the men from Takara Electronics, who engage in a brief discussion, then begin walking toward the investigators.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:15 am
by jp1885

Swaying slightly, Tony watches as Lew struggles with the skull.

“Hmm, p’rhaps you could have a try l-luverly Liz. Y-you’re the clever ‘un among us.”

He switches his unsteady gaze to the approaching Japanese.

“Maybe a-sooner rather th’n later tho’?”

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:55 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew shrugs as pushes his glasses up his nose with his shoulder.
"I can't figure it out. I was sure they would fit together."

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz takes the halves of the skull and tries to combine them. "The head bone'sh connected to the...head bone," she sings, shaking her head as she almost gets them together, but not quite. "'Sno good. 'M too drunk."
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 - 3[Slow-Witted] + 3[Sharp Eyes] = 14) assembling the skull: [dice]0[/dice] Dexterity roll (12 - 3[Clumsy] = 9) assembling the skull: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:01 pm
by jp1885

"Gizzit 'ere. Les' 'ave a shufty."
INT 7-3,[dice]0[/dice]
DEX 14-3,[dice]1[/dice]
"Hmm, p'raps if we work t'gether..."

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:44 am
by SunlessNick

"What'f only one of 'em'sh hizh?" Zara slurs. "Izh one'f'em herzh maybe? Anywhere elsh we can look for other bitsh? Oh, thozh Japaneshe catsh are comin' over here." She giggles. "We mush look pretty shifty."

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Although not quite able to figure out how the two halves might come together, something like a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle, Tony has enough unconscious skill with his fingers to produce a sort of ill-fitting puppet from them. Holding the resulting, badly distorted skull in his hands, it seems as if the eye sockets glow for a moment, then fade away.

Meanwhile, one of the two Japanese men bows slightly to the investigators, and, in excellent English, introduces himself and his companion, who is evidently monolingual. After some irrelevant, polite talk, he gets to the point.

"I could not help but notice that you have made a most interesting discovery. My colleague and I are also amusing ourselves by exploring this historic location. Perhaps," he adds with a smile, "you have been celebrating with some of your fine American whiskey. My employer, Takara-san, is a collector of antiquities and curious objects. If you might be willing to part with these old bones for a fee, I believe something could be arranged to our mutual benefit."

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:41 am
by jp1885

Even in his inebriated state, the briefly glowing eyes convinces Tony that they’re on the right track trying to rejoin the pieces of skull.

He blinks slowly, focusing on the Japanese.

“Giz us a few minutes ol’ chums an’ we’ll talk. What youse c’n do is gerruz some strong b-black coffee.”

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not as think as you drunk I am," says Liz. "Wasn't whiskey, it was wine. Founna bottle with my name on it. Would have been impolite not to drink it."

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:21 am
by SunlessNick

"Found one too, Zara adds. "You should look around, shee if thersh one for you. Sh'good."

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Even in his inebriated state, the briefly glowing eyes convinces Tony that they’re on the right track trying to rejoin the pieces of skull.

He blinks slowly, focusing on the Japanese.

“Giz us a few minutes ol’ chums an’ we’ll talk. What youse c’n do is gerruz some strong b-black coffee.”
There is hurried conversation between the two Japanese men in their own language. Then, while the one who speaks English continues polite conversation with the investigators, the other walks away. Perhaps ten or fifteen minutes later, he returns with a Thermos and several paper cups. The beverage -- very hot and very strong coffee indeed -- is offered to all.
Spoiler:
Anybody who accepts the coffee has the effect on INT reversed. However, caffeine jitters cause another loss of 3 DEX for any task involving the use of hands, as well as the Affliction of Inpatient, which reduces the chance of success at any task which requires patience.
After hearing what Liz and Zara have to say, the two men have another discussion, which becomes somewhat heated at times. Eventually, the English-speaking man, in a tone which suggests that he is sharing a bit of information not for all ears, reveals that, on a previous occasion, one of his colleagues discovered what seemed to be a small bottle similar to that used to hold sake a century or two ago, inscribed with symbols in the extraordinarily complex Japanese writing system that could be interpreted as bearing the name Takara.

"Of course, this could not really be what it seems to be," he explains. "Takara-san is now in possession of the strange object. Surely you do not expect him to consume the liquid inside it," he adds with a grin.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Up to him, really," says Liz. "Mine wash quite good, but it'sh shtrong shtuff. Arigatoo gozaimasu." She gratefully accepts the coffee, though she much prefers tea. "Cheers!" She drinks her cup of coffee.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 pm
by jp1885

Tony accepts the coffee and knocks it back.

"Gyah!" he grimaces, eyes wide. "That's the stuff! C'mon, let's get this skull fitted already!"

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:46 am
by SunlessNick

Zara drinks her own coffee. "That was good. Arigatoo Gozaimasu?" she sounds out from what Liz said, showing a pretty good ear.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Their heads made clear by the strong brew, the investigators are free to attempt, once again, to assemble the two fragments of bone into one. They are well aware, however, that their hands are shaky, due to the unusually high caffeine content of the coffee.

"Perhaps I may be of assistance?" the Japanese man inquires.
Spoiler:
You may choose to have him attempt the task or try it yourself. (I'll assume any player who wishes to do so will take precedence over him. Success in assembly requires a saving roll with normal INT; however, a saving roll with DEX reduced by 6 (alcohol and caffeine working together!) is required to avoid certain consequences of dropping what has been assembled.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:51 am
by jp1885

Noticing how much his hands are trembling, Tony nods.

“Yes, you may indeed assist. Please hold your jacket under the skull like a safety net. If we drop it, please catch it.”

Assuming the Japanese fellow agrees, he tries again,
INT 7 and DEX 8 respectively,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:55 am
by Starspawn338
Lew saw the sockets briefly flash and knows he was on the right track. If only he weren't so clumsy. However, seeing that he was close, he'll try again.
OOC,Int 18 [dice]0[/dice] Dex 9 [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Bravo, well done!" cheers Liz when Lew joins the halves of the skull.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After Tony fails to bring the two halves of the skull together, dropping them into the Japanese fellow's windbreaker as he does so, it is notable that the man is reluctant to part with them, doing so only after arguing the point with his companion; the gist of their conversation, for those investigators familiar with their language, being "we are not yet sure."

Lew, his mind and fingers not effected by either coffee or alcohol, very carefully brings the halves into perfect alignment, at which point they seem to become sealed together, as if they were never shattered. The glow returns to the eye sockets, and a hollow voice, coming as from a very great distance, and yet clearly understood, emerges from the gaping jaws.

"About bloody time! Now find the rest of me, out in that blasted wasteland, and be done with this filthy business!"

Now doubt this phenomenon startles even those used to weird and occult events; before there is much time to react, however, the man who speaks no English shouts at the investigators and draws a small pistol from his pocket, brandishing it with great passion.

"I am very sorry," the other fellow says, "but my companion insists that we should take this artifact to Takara-san right away."

Those who know Japanese realize that this is a very sanitized version of what the armed man really said.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 am
by SunlessNick

Zara's eyes go wide and she backs up a couple of steps. "This isn't to do with those lights in the sky," she says (in the assumption that that's what they're interested in).

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:42 pm
by jp1885

Emboldened by a mix of alcohol and caffeine, Tony isn’t about to let anyone rob them of their prize.

Ignoring the English-speaking fellow, he walks up to the one pointing the pistol. He stands directly in front of him, blocking his line of fire.

“No.” he says emphatically.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew looks at the Japanese men with irritation.

"Did you hear what the...skull...said? This is no keepsake to be set on a shelf and admired. There's a man's soul at stake." He finally realizes that there is a gun pointed in his direction. "What legal claim do you make to this? I'm an attorney at law and unless you show me some legal document showing you are entitled to this, I will assume that your actions are unlawful and unless you cease immediately, the authorities will be notified."

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I say, that's rather rude!" protests Liz. With Tony blocking the gunman's view, she slips out her mace and conceals it in the palm of her hand.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The bold way in which the investigators respond causes the gunman to curse eloquently and withdraw his weapon. The two men rush away quickly, and not much later the sound of an automobile, its tires squealing, comes from the nearest parking lot.

The skull, having apparently spoken its piece for the moment, loses the glow in its eye sockets and seems to be nothing more than an ordinary head bone. Just before doing so, however, it speaks a few final words in a weak, hollow voice.

"Killer went east, along the Saint John River. Follow."

Apparently, this refers to San Juan Creek, named for the Mission, which is almost entirely dry except during heavy rains. When empty of water, it is possible to hike within the small canyon it forms, with the proper equipment. How far one must travel to locate whatever is to be found there is difficult to say.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:46 pm
by jp1885

“Somewhat anticlimactic...” observes Tony as the Japanese drive away. “I was rather looking forward to a good scrap. Let’s us assume our oriental friends are hostile from now on, hm?”

After inspecting the creek, he turns to the others.

“May I suggest we sober up before we go hiking? It must be lunchtime surely?”

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is it?" asks Liz. "I've lost track of time. Just as well it didn't come to a fight. My hands are so jittery, I doubt my aim would be true. I'm sober enough thanks to the coffee. I'm ready now, but some lunch wouldn't go amiss. Maybe we can get something to go?" It might just be the coffee talking, but she can't wait to get started.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With several choices for casual dining in this tourist town, the investigators are easily able to refresh themselves and wait for the effects of alcohol and caffeine to wear off. They also note a hiking supply store, Californians famous for their love of the outdoors. There's a map of San Juan Creek and other waterways (mostly dry) taped to the window of the place.
Spoiler:

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:25 pm
by jp1885

Suitably refreshed, Tony enters the supply store with a renewed spring in his step. Being a man of considerable means, he is happy to kit out himself and his chums with the sturdiest clothing and equipment available. He also procures a hiker’s map of the valley.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara thanks Tony for the hiking gear. She seems to find the idea of this expedition pretty groovy, even apart fro the prospect of getting rid of the Captain's ghost.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers!" says Liz. She picks out a pair of sturdy yet stylish hiking boots, a green sleeveless vest, a pair of brown short shorts, a backpack, a belt, a canteen, a knife with a sheath, a compass, a coil of rope, a flashlight, and a tinderbox. She also gets a shovel. If they're going to dig up a dead body, they're going to need one.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:38 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
After a rather pleasant hike of about twelve miles in the moderately cool, dry climate of California in the late autumn, the party is ready for a rest stop. The place where Bell Creek, trickling merrily, nearly meets bone-dry Verdugo Canyon, seems like a nice location. The semi-desert environment supports a wide variety of wildlife. Lizards scurry here and there and hawks soar overhead.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
Everyone but Tony gets the idea that, to quote Brigham Young, this must be the place. It's hard to explain; it just feels like they should explore one of the two waterways, one wet and one dry, that branch off here. One can't blame the fellow for not paying attention to vague psychic sensations. He's got something else distracting him.
Spoiler:
1 = R 2 = C 3 = S 4 = G 5 = 6 = B[dice]2[/dice]
It's the notorious brown recluse spider, infamous for the necrotic venom, which happens to have crawled up his boot and taken a bite.
Spoiler:
37% chance of skin necrosis; 14% chance of systemic illness. Low numbers bad. [dice]3[/dice]
Fortunately the bite is nothing more than irritating, but it does draw his attention away from the weird feeling that everyone else experiences.
Spoiler:
wis reduced by 3 while searching this area due to the bite.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 pm
by jp1885

"Ooh me leg!"

Hopping around on one foot does no favours for Tony's carefully manufactured 'great explorer' look.

Thankfully he soon realises that his leg is not about to swell up like a poisonous balloon and, fishing the mortal remains of the spider out of his boot, he notices that the others seem to have stopped to search.
WIS 11-3,[dice]0[/dice]
Alas, still somewhat muzzy-headed from the effects of the bite, he isn't much help.

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz screams when she sees the spider and practically leaps into Tony's arms, even though it is dead. For some irrational reason, she is terrified of the things. The most frightening part of her ancestor's memoirs to her was the encounter with the gigantic spider. Even mighty Ivan, his servant, was scared to death of it, but he managed to overcome his fears and slay it. When she has a chance to calm down, she inspects Tony's leg. "Are you all right?" she asks. "Let me help you." Once she is sure that he is going to be okay, she begins to look around for the burial site, though very carefully in case there are more spiders.
OOC,Wisdom roll (10 - 3[Afraid of Spiders] + 1[Discover Secrets] + 3[Sharp Eyes] = 11) looking for where [b]William[/b] is buried: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:28 am
by Starspawn338
Lew looks around for anything that stands out. He is distracted momentarily by Liz and Tony but continues his search.
OOC,Wisdom 10 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:21 pm
by jp1885

Tony is rather pleased to have Liz leap into his arm and despite his discombobulation, is in no hurry to let go. Consequently he rather enjoys her tender ministrations to his bitten leg.

“Ah, what would I do without you my dear? Spiders be damned eh?”

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:57 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara giggles to herself, thinking Liz's fear is put on a bit. But otherwise she joins Lew in continuing to search.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Zara WIS = 11 + 1 Perceptive = 12 [dice]0[/dice]
Both Liz and Lew make discoveries while their companions find only a few cigarette butts and candy wrappers scattered here and there by those travelers who have little respect for the great outdoors.

In the dry canyon, Lew finds a very old, rusted, pitted iron sphere, about the size of a large marble. There are signs in the dirt that other, similar objects might be found further on, by walking up the canyon and examining the ground closely.

In the swiftly running creek, Liz observes a similarly time-rusted metal object, much larger than the sphere, and of a roughly elongated shape, whose exact nature is blurred by the flowing of the water, lying as it does a few inches below the surface. It would be necessary to reach into the water to retrieve it, in order to tell what it is.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:25 pm
by jp1885

Reluctantly relinquishing Liz’s company, Tony‘s interest is drawn to Lew and Zara’s findings.

“Hm, what have we here?”

Hefting his stick, he attempts to hook out the object in the stream.
DEX 14,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Curious," says Liz, peering at the objects. "That little sphere might be a musket or pistol ball. That's what would have been used at the time. In the early nineteenth century, bullets didn't exist yet."

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 am
by Starspawn338
"Hmmm. If this is a pistol ball, maybe that's the barrel of the pistol over there. A duel perhaps?" Lew muses.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It would appear that Liz and Lew's instincts are quite accurate, as Tony's stick emerges from the water with an antique flintlock dueling pistol, of a design used circa the year 1800. It is clear that the metal spheres are of a size and shape to serve as ammunition for the old weapon, were they not in such time-ravaged condition. By carefully scraping away an accumulation of vegetable matter upon the pistol, it can be seen that it was a fine weapon of its time, decorated with silver, the metal engraved in letters so elaborately filigreed that they are difficult to read. By peering at them closely, they can be deciphered as J R y C.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:40 am
by jp1885

“I say, you’re most awfully clever; this is indeed a firearm,” says Tony, inspecting the weapon.

“J R y C... someone Ruiz y Calderón I’ll wager. I think we may have found the murder weapon.”

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:33 pm
by Starspawn338
"And possibly the location where he died?"

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, one of Consuela's relatives, no doubt," agrees Liz. "He must have fought a duel with Captain Palliser to defend her honour. Shall we ask the head again? Perhaps now that we're here, it will have more to say."

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 10 (I don't think adjustments would apply here)[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the best efforts of Liz to communicate with the skull, it does not appear to be responsive to her.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:24 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara looks around for anywhere a body might be buried - a mound, an odd patch of plant growth, or something. Under her breath, she mutters, "Come on man, this is your show, so show me."

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz assists in the search, though she knows it will be hard to find considering that the grave is over a century old. She focuses on the area near the creek.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara looks around for anywhere a body might be buried - a mound, an odd patch of plant growth, or something. Under her breath, she mutters, "Come on man, this is your show, so show me."
Spoiler:
wis = 11 + 1 for Perception = 12[dice]0[/dice]
As if in response to her words, Zara experiences -- well, call it a impression, intuition, or a hunch, perhaps aided by the vague remnants of previous supernatural connections -- that what they're looking for isn't the remains of a body at all.

Of course! Dueling pistols always came as a matched pair!

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Liz assists in the search, though she knows it will be hard to find considering that the grave is over a century old. She focuses on the area near the creek.
Spoiler:
WIS = 10 + 1 Discover Secrets + 3 Sharp Eyes = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Despite her great skill and experience in uncovering that which has been hidden, Liz does not discover anything of interest. It seems clear that the investigators need to explore further along either the dry canyon, the creek, or both, and probably for a considerable distance, the nearby areas yielding little.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:10 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara lets the rest of the gang in on what's come to her, and changes the focus of her search.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:48 pm
by jp1885

"Ah yes, of course: a brace of pistols!"

Tony elects to explore further along the creek, poking around for other antique firearms whilst avoiding any more critters.
WIS 11,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz also proceeds along the shoreline of the creek, her eyes peeled for another pistol or anything else out of the ordinary.
OOC,Wisdom roll (10 stat + 1[Discover Secrets] + 3[Sharp Eyes] = 14) searching along the creek: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:10 am
by Starspawn338
Lew will go to where the first pistol was found and look for a clear line of fire. "Assuming this was a duel and not a murder, perhaps the other gun is in this direction."
He counts off 40 paces from the first pistol and looks around.
OOC,Wisdom 10 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lew's clever notion leads him to a spot where a tiny glimpse of metal, which would have been easily overlooked, can be seen buried in loose dirt. After some digging, it can be seen that it is, indeed, a dueling pistol identical to the one already discovered. Close examination reveals that a round metal pellet remains within its bore; evidently it was loaded but not fired.

Meanwhile, Liz's sharp eyes detect another item of interest. Although much ravaged by time and the elements, within the rushing water of the creek, nearly completely hidden under a large boulder which, apparently, has held it in place for more than a century, lies a wooden box of such a size and shape as to reveal its use as a case for the pistols.

Tony, evidently having a bad day, does not have as much success.
Spoiler:
Failed searches in this area lead to unpleasant encounters. 1 = r, 2 = c, 3 = s[already encountered, so no effect], 4 = g, 5 = m, 6 = b[dice]0[/dice]
His search disturbs a sleeping Gila monster, its mottled hide making it nearly invisible among rocks and sand of almost the same color.
Spoiler:
Because this could be very bad, let's give you a chance to get out of the way of the rather sluggish Gila monster. DEX = 14[dice]1[/dice]Oh, dear. Bad luck.
Taken entirely off guard, Tony experiences what some experts have described as the most painful venom produced by any vertebrate. The slow-moving but tenacious animal snaps at his ankle -- the one that, up to now, was uninjured -- with its sharp teeth and secretes its poison into his veins. It requires quite a bit of effort to pull the Gila monster off of Tony's leg, that process itself causing further tearing of the already bleeding flesh.
Spoiler:
bite damage other than venom[dice]2[/dice]
Although not life-threatening, the bleeding is quite profuse. Meanwhile, the venom, already producing excruciating pain at the site of the bite, works its way into Tony's body.
Spoiler:
Con = 8 to avoid systemic effects of the venom[dice]3[/dice]
Besides the agonizing pain and swelling of the area of the bite, Tony feels light-headed and weak, a sign of dropping blood pressure. He is in need of medical help.
Spoiler:
sorry about all the bad die rolls!

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:34 am
by jp1885

Tony collapses to the ground, cursing his luck and Captain Pallister in equal measure.

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:04 pm
by SunlessNick
OOC:  
Tony collapses to the ground, cursing his luck and Captain Pallister in equal measure.
I'm sorry...  

First, to Lew and Liz, "That's great, guys!"

Then, "OMG, Tony! Are you all-, no forget that. We've got to get back to town! I've got some gin with me, will it help with the pain?"

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz rushes to Tony's side. Hurriedly, she uses her knife to cut open the wound to let out the envenomed blood and then proceeds to alternately suck out the poison and spit it out, hoping to keep too much of it from entering his bloodstream. Unfortunately, while she knows what to do in theory, she's never tried this before. "It's no good," she says at last. "He's going to need a medical doctor, not a Doctor of Science. Help me carry him. The gin might help, though I much prefer whiskey myself."
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 stat + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15) treating [b]Tony[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The investigators seem to be in a desperate situation, a dozen miles from civilization and with a badly injured member of the party. After a long, difficult time spent helping the wounded man, woozy now from many shots of gin that ease his pain, very slowly back down the trail, watching all the while for other hikers who might be able to send for help, a possible source of aid arrives.

From the west a helicopter, somewhat larger than the one seen earlier, arrives, hovers over the investigators a while, sending sand and dust spraying everywhere, and then finds a flat enough place to land, revealing the obvious skill of the woman piloting the aircraft. As if prepared for this situation, the vehicle contains enough empty seats to carry all members of the party safely, if not exactly comfortably. The pilot does not speak, remaining busy with the controls, and nearly completely concealed by flying helmet and jumpsuit. Her only companion, a burly fellow in nondescript suit, tie, and sunglasses, steps out of the door and gestures them inside.

"Come," he says in a deep voice revealing a Slavic accent. "Ve haff doctor."

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:09 am
by jp1885

Even in his semi-lucid state, the accent is enough to make Tony groan.
Bolowski...”he mutters.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:05 pm
by SunlessNick

"We don't have any choice," Zara says.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:50 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew will help Tony onto the helicopter and then follow him inside.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Great, it's the bloody Soviets, thinks Liz. "Yes, you're right," she says, also helping Tony aboard the helicopter. "It's the only way to save Tony's life. Well, we were wondering where their base was. Here's our chance to find out."

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Stay tuned for the soulful sounds of the 5th Dimension, as their latest hit takes you on a ride into the wild blue yonder!