Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: Track Four: Light My Fire

Post by jp1885 »

Tony collapses to the floor.
OOC,I think Tony's below zero HP now, unless the girls' first aid has kept him conscious.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
I have no intention of completely incapacitating you, and these were not attacks made with deadly weapons.
After blacking out for a few seconds, Tony awakes, to find himself being tenderly ministered by the two women; a situation which might not be unpleasant under different circumstances. Weak but able to stand and move, using reasonable caution, he and the others observe the Master, Spark, and the other cult members long gone, among the group of former rioters, in front of the building eerily illuminated by the fireball. In a moment, the light from that arcane source fades into nothing, and the scene is only dimly illuminated by a few streetlights near the building. The sound of the Master addressing the crowd can be heard, but not his exact words. After a while, those members of the crowd nearest the building begin to beat their fists on the windows, in a curiously regular and coordinated fashion.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony shakes his head as he gropes muzzily for his stick. He thanks the girls for their help as he stands.

"The machine - it's controlling the crowd. Surely we can use it to calm everyone down and put an end to this madness?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My thoughts exactly," says Liz, hoisting the megaphone. "Usually I can get men to do what I want without resorting to such measures, but in this case I think it will be needed." Having seen the device used against her, albeit unsuccessfully, she tries it on the crowd, getting closer in the event that she's not in the machine's range.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
int 14 + 1 Scientific Knowlegde = 15[dice]0[/dice]
Liz is able to figure out how to operate the gizmo, although this requires approaching the crowd fairly closely. The rioters cease their battering of the windows, a few of which are now cracked open, of what proves to be the local draft board office. Upon the initial use of the device, they become slack-jawed and passive. Observing this, the Master aims a fireball at the machine rather than its user.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]
It barely misses its intended target, flying close enough to the investigators to cause them to feel its intense heat, with the feeling that they have narrowly escaped being harmed by it. Meanwhile, the Master directs his loyal followers, as few as they may be, to crawl through the broken windows into the draft board.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Despite his injured state, Tony is determined to put a stop to this before his whiskers are singed.

"Focus on the cultists," he yells to Liz. "Try to keep them down."

He looks around for the others.

"Let's deal with the Master. Approach from different directions - he can't blast us all!"

And with that, he runs at the fellow, brandishing his stick, intending to strike with all his might when within range.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara swallows, then does what Tony suggested, her hand in her pocket on the knife Liz gave her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz turns the megaphone on the cultists, getting as close as necessary and hoping to stop them before they can enter the building.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Tony dashes forward, determined to strike at the Master, pushing aside the seemingly mindless crowd surrounding him.
Spoiler:
basic dex check to get through the crowd dex = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Easily making his way to his target, he strikes at the man with his trusty cane.
Spoiler:
dex 14 + Bartitsu skill (3) + danger bonus = 18[dice]1[/dice]

damage[dice]2[/dice]
The stick strikes solidly, drawing blood, but the Master remains standing.

Zara rushes towards him as well.
Spoiler:
dex check for the crowd = 13[dice]3[/dice]
Pushing aside the mesmerized rioters, she slashes at the man with the knife.
Spoiler:
dex = 13[dice]4[/dice]

damage[dice]5[/dice]
The blade hits a vital spot. The Master's robe is soon stained with blood, and he collapses to the ground.

Meanwhile, Liz aims the bizarre machine at the cultists.
Spoiler:
Spark and the two who rushed out the gate; three wis checks to resist; wis = 9[dice]6[/dice]
Spark grows slack-jawed, while the other two cultists, apparently made of sterner stuff, continue into the building. Soon black smoke can be seen coming out of the place.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Once the Master is down, Tony races to his side. Incapacitating the guy is fine, but there's little honour in killing him.

"I'm sorry old chap, but you did force our hand rather... Morality isn't just black and white you know - you can't burn out the evil without setting fire to the good..."

He tries to stem the bleeding, trusting the others to deal with the remaining cultists.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew is no fighter but he will do what he can and follow the cultists inside the building and try to stem whatever fires they are starting.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz scrambles inside after the cultists, hoping to get close enough to zap them with the device again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Before following the others, Zara looks round quickly, to see if anyone seems about to threaten Tony while he is distracted tending to the Master.
OOC:   Wisdom 11 +1 Perception
Rolled 1D20: 7

Charisma 13 -3 Emotional
Rolled 1D20: 14  
However, the pause gives her time to realise she's just maybe killed a man (whatever penalty you see fit to inflict for that).
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Once the Master is down, Tony races to his side. Incapacitating the guy is fine, but there's little honour in killing him.

"I'm sorry old chap, but you did force our hand rather... Morality isn't just black and white you know - you can't burn out the evil without setting fire to the good..."

He tries to stem the bleeding, trusting the others to deal with the remaining cultists.
Using basic first aid, Tony is able to keep the Master in a stable, if unresponsive, condition.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Starspawn338 wrote: Lew is no fighter but he will do what he can and follow the cultists inside the building and try to stem whatever fires they are starting.
By this time, the papers inside the file cabinets throughout the building have been set aflame, using such ordinary methods as matches and cigarette lighters. The two remaining cultists, their work apparently done, attempt to rush by Lew.
Spoiler:
Two battles of Dex; Lew's roll is first in each case. All dex = 9[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
The choking smoke renders Lew and the two arsonists less than fully capable of moving with any grace. None of the three escape the room, and continue struggling. The fire grows, and soon smoke fills the entire room.
Spoiler:
Smoke effects; CON rolls; Lew = 6, the others = 9[dice]2[/dice]
Lew and one of the cultists collapse from smoke inhalation; the other rushes out of the building and runs off in all the confusion.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz scrambles inside after the cultists, hoping to get close enough to zap them with the device again.
A few seconds of experimentation make it clear that the device has no effect on someone who has already resisted it through sheer willpower.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Before following the others, Zara looks round quickly, to see if anyone seems about to threaten Tony while he is distracted tending to the Master.
Everyone else seems too busy, or too distracted, to pay any attention to Tony or the Master
However, the pause gives her time to realise she's just maybe killed a man.
Zara is relieved to learn that the Master is not in mortal danger at this time.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Soon large amounts of smoke emerge from the building where Lew and one cultist are trapped, fallen to the floor. The mesmerized crowd begins coughing as the smoke reaches them, and they seem to snap out of their trance and scatter.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Relieved that the guy is still alive, Tony fishes out a pair of handcuffs he keeps upon his person and, putting the Master's arms behind his back (and around a post or somesuch if there is one nearby), snaps them onto his wrists.

Confident that the cult leader is going nowhere, and should be unable to cast fireballs, he looks up towards the burning building. He can see most of his companions, but not Lew.

He rushes towards the smoke, yelling to anyone who'll listen to call the emergency services.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara follows Tony inside, determined to help however she can.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”