Page 1 of 1

Track Three: A Whiter Shade of Pale

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The investigators find themselves together again after a well-deserved night's rest. The weather has changed for the better, with sunshine and mild temperatures predicted. It would seem to be time to make plans.

Re: Track Three: A Whiter Shade of Pale

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:19 am
by Rooter

Carson is speaking on the payphone to his Government Contact, requesting any findings from the police lab on the glove.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:01 am
by SunlessNick

Zara purchases a gin before heading to the jon the others. "What happened last night after the cops came? There was another girl in their morgue - they showed us. It wasn't Moonflower. That's three now."

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:23 pm
by jp1885

Tony arrives somewhat later than the others. After a visit to his tailor and a gentleman's hair stylist, he spends some time indulging in a little detective leg-work.

Asking around among those in the city who, for a certain price, can find out certain things, he tries to find out where and when the victims of the Embalmer were last seen. This to help narrow down the best place and time to set the trap.

He also searches for places in the locality where the chemicals and equipment needed to embalm a person can be bought. Likewise, had any hospitals, morgues or undertakers reported any robberies lately?

Finally, he makes a mental note to revisit Bolowski's lair at the 'Pee Oh Pee' once this unpleasant business is over...

He arrives to hear Zara's tale.

"Well at least there's a chance that Moonflower is still alive."

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
Carson is speaking on the payphone to his Government Contact, requesting any findings from the police lab on the glove.
Spoiler:
The contact provides the information that something must have gone wrong in the crime lab.

"They got a clear set of prints, all right, but they were completely blank. Not as if the perp tried to disguise his prints with acid or something; that would have left marks of some kind. Just completely empty ovals, as if he was born without fingerprints at all. Somebody goofed.

By the way, the techies in your area report that some kind of weird, indecipherable transmissions are emanating from an unknown source in the vicinity. They can't quite pin it down, but it seems to be aimed in the general direction of Venus. Might be some kind of attempt to spy on NASA's Mariner V probe that's currently orbiting that planet. The boss says to check it out during your 'free time,' ha, ha. Good luck."

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Tony's charming manners manage to win the confidence of the city coroner, who welcomes the opportunity to spin yarns about his experiences on the job. After some time spent discussing macabre details of previous cases, he gets to the point.

"The victims were last seen alive somewhere near one of the canals, except the Jane Doe. Nobody knows where she came from, so I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it was the same for her. None of my buddies in the undertaking business have reported any supplies missing, which doesn't surprise me. You know why? Because this nut isn't using modern chemicals. Hell, formaldehyde has been standard since the late 19th century. This kook is using stuff from long before that, crazy mixtures of arsenic, mercury, God knows what else."

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good point," says Liz. "We don't know how long ago the other girl was taken. If we can find his lair quickly, we might still save Moonflower."

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:45 pm
by jp1885

Tony relates the information he gleaned about the strange cocktail of chemicals used by the Embalmer to his fellow investigators.

"This cat is certainly a strange one. I half expect him to come stalking out of the fog in a top hat and cape, twirling his moustache."

"A thought strikes me: how about a high-tech solution to catch an old-time villain? Mr. Carson, would you have access to something like a waterproof radio tracker? If, heaven forbid, we fail to catch the killer and he escapes with Dr. North, perhaps we could at least follow them?"

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, capital idea!" says Liz. "I'm all in favour of anything that doesn't end up with me being murdered."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:15 am
by Rooter

Carson nods. "The Jane Doe in the morgue was one of the Russkies. At least it proves Zara's painting was right and the killer visited the park. But the fingerprints weren't any help since it turns out our perp doesn't have any. Speaking of radios, a little bird tells me there are some strange transmissions going on in the vicinity. I'm going to take a look around."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:38 pm
by jp1885

Tony grins at Dr. North.

"You being murdered would be a tragedy to humanity my dear. Maybe I could obtain such a device from my contacts, if Mr. Carson here is unable to furnish us with one. I will make some calls presently."

He frowns when Carson outlines what he's learned.

"No finger prints? At all? How dashed peculiar... Could the strange transmissions be down to Bolowski and her cronies? Does your agency have the technology to pinpoint such things may I ask? If that's not hush-hush of course."

"Whatever the case, we should prepare ourselves and them take a stroll along the canal."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:54 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some time spent shopping at the local Radio Shack, the investigators are able to purchase the kiund of radio tracking device required.

"Great product," the shopkeeper says, polishing his horn rim glasses and straightening his pocket protector. "Top of the line. Real Star Trek stuff. The components only weight about ten pounds each, and it'll only set you back a few hundred bucks."

At this point, it would be a good idea to decide exactly where and when this trap is going to be set up, and who is going to play what parts.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm
by jp1885

After paying for the tracker and it's associated receiver Tony muses on what to do next.

The time of the trap - this is tricky. Moonflower was with us all night, but the scuba diver was seen during that time. She must have disappeared after we went to search the park, which was during the day. Perhaps we should set our trap ASAP and be prepared for a long wait if necessary.

Dr. North has volunteered to be the bait, and so should be fitted with the tracker. For protection she also has the can of Mace I gave her yesterday, and whatever weaponry she has about her person.

The canal seems the most obvious place to set the trap. We know where the scuba diver tried to snatch Moonflower - was it near to the spot where her clothes were subsequently found, or the spot where the other two bodies were discovered? Maybe place Dr. North somewhere around these locations?
She should act drunk, or under the influence of something.

The rest of us should be nearby. Some of us hidden among some strategically placed trash and ready to literally cast the net when the abductor appears, the others to guard Zara, just in case the killer ignores our bait and goes for her. There are enough cans of Mace, some of us are probably 'packing heat' and I will rely on my trusty stick should it come to violence.

If we catch the killer, all well and good. However if he manages to make off with Dr. North then we activate the tracker and follow them post-haste.

Splitting up duties, perhaps Agent Carson, Lew and myself should lie in wait for the trap to be sprung, with Carson operating the tracker if necessary. Bill could be close by, keeping an eye on Zara in case she has any psychic episodes but being ready to assist us if required.

Stroking his moustache and feeling that he's missing something obvious, he outlines his thoughts to the others and awaits their replies.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 am
by SunlessNick

"Maybe by the pool," Zara adds. "That's where he threw away the glove, and where the view in my painting was from."

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe he burned his fingerprints off with acid," says Liz. "I've heard that criminals sometimes do that. Thank you, Tony. The plan sounds like a good one. You're right, I should act like I'm under the influence. Moonflower certainly was. I've never tried it myself, but I know enough about the effects of LSD to act the part."

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Further discussion elicits the information that, as far as anyone can tell, the disappearances all took place by the canals, but at different places. That is also where Moonflower's belongings were found, as well as the bodies of the other victims.

As you might expect, this makes most people avoid the canals completely, except for those who are foolhardy or stoned, or folks whose shabby residences are located near them. The police patrol the areas as much as they can, but with the constant trespassing and vandalism of Pacific Ocean Park, the influx of hippies into Venice with their drugs and public nudity, and the constant threat of biker gang violence, they've got their hands full.

Eventually the investigators find a place and time when they have one of the canals to themselves. It's possible for everyone but Doctor North to stay out of sight, but only at the cost of some delay if they have to go into action.

It is a clear, moonlit night. As Doctor North strolls by the canal, in an apparent state of intoxication, a hand wearing a black leather glove, attached to an arm in a wet suit, emerges from the murky water with extraordinary speed and attempts to grab to grab her leg. She has only a heartbeat to react.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz tries to dodge the hand, moving away from the canal to force the killer to climb out of it in order to get at her.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) to avoid the grasping hand: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm
by jp1885

Strategically hidden behind some cardboard boxes, Tony nearly jumps out of his skin as the hand bursts out of the water. He tenses as Dr. North dodges back and, clutching the net, prepares to make his move.

If the diver begins to climb out of the canal he will dash forward as it does so, throwing the net on the hopefully struggling figure.

If the diver slips back into the canal he will still leap forward before throwing the net into the canal (keeping hold of one end) in an attempt to entangle the figure.

Either way, the next step will be to incapacitate the diver with his stick, calling on the others to help out.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:12 pm
by Rooter

Further back, Carson crouches with pistol in hand, drawing a bead on the patch of water in question.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The figure in the wetsuit and scuba gear emerges. He -- the tightness of the suit leaves no doubt that it is a man -- is very tall and thin. As of yet, nothing else can be told, as his entire face and body are hidden.
Spoiler:
Tony's DEX =- 14 + 1 Danger = 15[dice]0[/dice]
With all the skill of an experienced hunter of villains, Tony is able to toss the net over the man's body. With a bloodcurdling, high-pitched shriek, the fellow tries to rip his way out of the net. It is obvious he is of great strength.
Spoiler:
average STR=9 + the equivalent of the Increase Strength spell +4 = 13[dice]1[/dice]
As if it were no more than ordinary string, the man tears way the net and heads for the canal. Jack fires at him.
Spoiler:
DEX = 9 + 1 Danger = 10[dice]2[/dice]
Despite the darkness and trying to hit a moving target, he is successful.
Spoiler:
damage: [dice]3[/dice]
The fellow screams in agony, sounding more like a wounded jungle cat than a man. He falls into the water and is lost to sight. As the investigators rush to the canal they see what they can only assume is a pool of blood left behind by the man. A closer look reveals, even in moonlight, that it is the exact color of milk.

Sirens approach. Apparently somebody heard the shot and called the cops.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 am
by Rooter

"Damn that is weird." Carson kneels and quickly uses an evidence bag to collect a sample of the milk-like substance for analysis.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:32 pm
by jp1885

"Positively far-out - whatever that was, I'm not certain it was Human..."

Tony's ears prick up at the sound of sirens.

"If anyone doesn't want to be questioned by the cops again, perhaps now's a good time to make yourselves scarce. I'll stay here and examine the canal; after all there's no body, no blood, in the accurate sense, so the worse they can throw at us is discharge of a firearm."

He peers into the canal, thoughts of divers and wetsuits running through his mind.

When was the last time I went diving? That delightful fortnight in Barbados wasn't it? I think I might have to have another go today...

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:14 pm
by SunlessNick

"I don't think he is either," Zara agrees with Tony, looking at the mess on the ground. "No, I don't want to talk to the cops again. But will you be all right?"

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Bloody hell!" exclaims Liz, looking with interest at the "blood" and smiling at Jack. "Thank you. If he's not human, what is he? An alien? An android? A vampire? Although I've never heard of a vampire that bleeds milk. Well, maybe not exactly milk. I'll know more about it once I can get it to a lab and analyse it. I'll stay here and talk to the police too. I am, after all, the intended victim. I doubt the same trick will work twice, but he may yet come after me again. He did for Moonflower."

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:39 am
by Starspawn338
"My God, what was that?" Lew says as he examines the milky blood on the ground. Then at the sound of the sirens, "Bloody hell. They are never around when you need them but they come running when it's most inconvenient. I guess it's time to go. Where shall we meet?"

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:06 am
by SunlessNick

"My place if the Sospiri is too hot," offers Zara.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:12 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As those who prefer not to remain make their way to Zara's place, those who are ready to face the cops prepare to be questioned. Seeing the ripped net, the police assume that the Embalmer -- a name known to the public at large now, thanks to the irresponsibility of the tabloid that leaked the info -- tried to capture another victim with it. The single pistol shot can be explained as self defense. They dismiss what little remains of the white substance as just litter.

"OK, folks. No harm done, but I don't want to see you people anywhere near the canals from now on. Capeesh?"

Once everyone is back together, after some well-deserved rest, the lab report comes back on the white stuff. As best as can be told, it's human blood, mixed with some kind of unknown anticoagulant that keeps it from completely solidifying. The hemoglobin has been completely removed from what can no longer be called the red blood cells. The white blood cells, on the other hand, have proliferated to an extraordinary degree, nearly completely replacing the plasma.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 pm
by jp1885

"Curiouser and curiouser..."

Back at Zara's, Tony reads the analysis report and shakes his head.

"Well I must admit I'm stumped. Let us hope at least that this 'Embalmer' has retreated to lick his wounds, buying us a little time."

"This may sound foolish, but why don't I take a dive into the canal and see if I can find this chap's lair? I could wear the tracker so you can follow me."

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"How does he even live without hemoglobin to carry oxygen to his cells?" wonders Liz aloud. "I'm reluctant to give up the tracker, in case he comes back for me, but we could go diving together, and I could keep wearing it. It's not a good idea to dive alone even when there isn't a crazed inhuman killer out there anyway."

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:28 am
by jp1885

"A capital idea Dr. North. I'll have my chauffeur bring some diving equipment and we can go for a dip ASAP."

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:03 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By this time, the latest attack by the Embalmer, and the resulting panic among the populace, has led to a special task force being assembled of police officers from the LAPD. They patrol the canals at all times. The local cops are free to keep an eye on the abandoned park and other routine matters. This raises the question of how the bold investigators wish to pursue their dangerous plan to enter the waters in search of their quarry.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 pm
by jp1885

Tony chuckles at Wandsworth's bemused expression as the chauffeur unloads the diving gear.

"Worry not old boy - just the Knight of Wands taking a young lady for a dip!"

He grins as the Rolls pulls away, relishing the adventure ahead despite the danger. However it swiftly fades at the sight of the police teams patrolling the canals.

Tony returns to Zara's, somewhat dejected.

"Hmm... I think the fine chaps of the LAPD may have put the kibosh on our plans somewhat. Perhaps this is a chance to pause for thought. What other clues do we have?"

He strokes his moustache absent-mindedly.

"These strange signals to Venus perhaps? Can we pin down the source? Is there a university, radio astronomer or some other boffin - no disrespect Dr. North - who could help us out?"

"Another thought: if our excursions are to be curtailed by the police, we need some new eyes and ears. Who's presence has been most ubiquitous in these parts? Why, those delightful motorcycle gangs. Perhaps we could approach once such bunch of reprobates with an eye to securing their services. Our very own Baker Street Irregulars if you will."

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:10 pm
by SunlessNick

"Didn't the policeman say the first girl bled to death?" Zara asks. "If he pulls them into the water, how does he keep them from drowning?"

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe he shares his oxygen with them to keep them alive," suggests Liz, "at least until he gets them to his lair. It's probably not far from where he strikes. If we could pinpoint all the locations where he struck on a map, we could see if there's a pattern, some central location that's close to all of them. Checking in with the boffins at UCLA is a good suggestion, and I'd be best suited for that."

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:46 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, located near Pasadena, is associated with the NASA Mariner 5 Venus probe, which is currently near its closest approach to the planet. Those who wish to accompany Doctor North should prepare themselves for a brief road trip through the smoggy, congested freeways of Los Angeles; about an hour's driving time inland.

In the meantime, things have quieted down a bit in Venice. No further attacks have been reported for several days. A map of the last known locations of previous victims reveals that all were located near parts of the canal not far from the ocean, where the waters discharge into a place near the deserted amusement park.

If anyone wishes to approach members of one or both of the two local cycle gangs -- the Damned Souls and the Dirty Saints -- each group has its own biker bar, located at different ends of the city, where they are known to hang out.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:15 pm
by jp1885

Tony thinks that Dirty Saints could be an apt description for himself and so decides to pay that particular gang a visit. (Also, if Carson's description of them was accurate, then they like to hang around the park).

He briefly considers disguising himself as a biker, but really cannot be doing with all that swastika nonsense and besides, leather and denim does chafe so. So instead he strolls casually and self-assuredly into their bar in his normal attire.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:34 pm
by SunlessNick

After some apparent internal debate, Zara will ask to go with Liz.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:01 pm
by Rooter

And, figuring the boffins at the JPL would be the ones to ask about these strange transmissions he's been ordered to investigate, Carson steels himself for the drive inland.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'd be glad to have you both along," says Liz to Zara and Jack. "We can go in my Aston Martin. I'll make sure to keep the top up and the windows closed, and run the air conditioner."

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After a nerve-wracking drive through Los Angeles traffic to the relatively peaceful vicinity of JPL, those who choose to visit the space facility pull up to a gate manned by an armed guard. "Help ya?" he says, hand ready on his pistol.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Those who choose to go with Tony to the hangout of the Dirty Saints find themselves greeted with raucous laughter.

"Well, well, well," says one of the gang. "Look at old Mister Fancy Pants I better make sure to stick my little pinkie out while I sip my tea," he continues, guzzling a beer.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:32 am
by Rooter

Carson shows his ID. "We're here to see the director of the Mariner 5 program or one of its technicians if the director is unavailable."

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:16 pm
by jp1885
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Well, well, well," says one of the gang. "Look at old Mister Fancy Pants I better make sure to stick my little pinkie out while I sip my tea," he continues, guzzling a beer.
Tony's pants are indeed fancy. He heads to the bar, seating himself on a stool as he orders a beer. With great solemnity he extends his little finger as he takes a sip.

"Of course my cousin William has an entirely different definition of 'little pinkie', which is why he was barred from the local pub and is doing six months for gross indecency."

He grins, talking to himself and anyone else who is listening.

"Rather shocking really - a bit like this Embalmer chap. Now I wonder if there's anyone here who is brave enough to help me catch him, hmm? Anyone who's willing to keep their eyes and ears open for me - tell me what gives around the canals and the Pee-Oh-Pee? I'm sure there are plenty of chaps willing to show their, er, chicks, how stone-cold cool they are."

He takes another sip of beer.

"Unless it's true what the Damned Souls are saying and you're all yellow..."

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 pm
by Starspawn338
"Unless it's true what the Damned Souls are saying and you're all yellow..."
"Hold on there." Lew says quietly. "We're not looking for trouble, just some help."

Continuing a bit louder, he turns to the bikers. "A friend of ours was one of the women that was attacked by the man they are calling the Embalmer. The police don't seem to want us to do anything about it but I don't trust them to get the job done. Despite our appearance, we are more aligned with you than you may perhaps know. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Lew Collins and I've represented a fair share of club members in the past."
Keeper,I have 11 social contacts that are not identified. How about one is a well known biker that I represented?

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz approaches the guard with a smile. She has dressed to impress, wearing a white lab coat over a black miniskirt and pink blouse. "I'm Dr. Liz North, visiting from Cambridge University," she says. "This gentleman and lady are with me."
OOC,Charisma roll (17 + 3[Charming] + ?[Academic Credentials]): [dice]0[/dice] Beautiful may help too, as this is a first impression, if Academic Credentials doesn't make this an automatic success.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The guard places a call from the telephone in his booth. A few minutes later, a golf cart arrives bearing a man with the standard crew cut, horn-rimmed glasses, white shirt and thin black tie that are virtually a uniform at JPL.

"Howdy," he says. "I'm Tex McCoy. Hop in."

There is barely enough room for all in the golf cart, after the car is secured in the visitor's parking lot. Tex speeds off at an alarming rate, leaving a trail of dust behind as he weaves his way among widely scattered buildings.

"Always proud to show folks around the South Forty," he shouts over the roar of the engine. "What y'all interested in seein'?"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The contact with the bikers is fine.
"Yeah, we know this guy," says one of the gang. "Dresses like a square, but he's OK." After considering a moment, he waves over some of the others. "This Embalmer cat is messin' with our territory. Guess we can spare a few soldiers."

"Ratface! Sailor! Turkey! Front and center!"

Ratface proves to be a tall, thin man, amusing himself by tossing a knife into the wall with remarkable accuracy.

Sailor is a big, burly, older man, covered with tattoos of mermaids and hula dancers.

Turkey is the youngest, and resembles an ape in a leather jacket.

"Do like the man says." He turns to the visitors. "Coupla ground rules. The cops show up, we split. The Damned Souls show up, we rumble. Got it?"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Howdy, Tex," says Liz as she squeezes into the golf cart. "I'm Dr. Liz North. We're particularly interested in the Mariner 5 programme."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"You got it, Doc." Upon arrival at the proper building, Tex shows the guests the monitoring equipment.

"Launched that little devil back in June," he explains. "Makes her closest approach to Venus just about now. Radio data shows it's hotter than Hades down there, and smoggier than LA."

A technician interrupts the lecture with a report of radio interference.

"Little glitch, folks. Prob'ly some HAM radio operator messin' around. Should be back in business in a little while."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 am
by Rooter

"Is it possible to pinpoint the source of that interference?" Carson asks. "Somewhere in the Venice region maybe?"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am
by jp1885

While Lew's approach is infinitely more sensible, Tony is rather disappointed that he didn't get to spar (mentally, verbally or physically) with the gang. Still, the lawyer got the desired result with ease, so all the better.

He sizes up the three recruits before nodding his satisfaction.

"Keep a look out for this Embalmer freak: he's a tall thin dude - strong as an ox and screams like the devil. He might be limping, as we got a shot off last time we rumbled. He swims in the canal with all this scuba gear and we think he also hangs around the Pee-Oh-Pee."

"Speaking of which, there are some commie pinko cats cramping the scene over in the old Westinghouse Enchanted Forest. There's some extra bucks in this for you if you can keep tabs on them too."

He turns to Lew.

"That concludes our business here I think. What say you and I take a stroll to a certain outlet pipe? Maybe one of our new friends could tag along"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 pm
by Starspawn338
"Sound like a plan." Lew says and then turns to the volunteers. "Thank you for your assistance. The police are often most unhelpful in keeping things orderly in many parts of the city and I'm glad I can count on some real help with this Embalmer dude. He offers his card to the leader. "You can contact me here if necessary.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At JPL, Tex says "Lemme give it the old college try." He fiddles with electronic equipment for a while. The lab is even outfitted with a computer, which takes up most of the room.
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 3 for electronics expert = 12[dice]0[/dice]
"Sorry, folks. Looks like some lowdown sidewinder is blocking me from pinpointing the location."

A loud buzz fills the room, coming from one of the monitors.

"Sorry, chief," one of the technicians says. "We've lost contact with Mariner."

"Well, hellfire. There goes the taxpayer's money."

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Back in Venice, the investigators and the bikers make their way to where the canals discharge into the ocean. Nothing is immediately remarkable about the place. A group of suntanned, athletic men and women are playing beach volleyball on the sand. A shot goes wild, sending the ball towards the adventurers. A woman with waist-length black hair, dressed in a yellow bikini, approaches.

"May we have our ball, please?"

Ratface grins at her. "Only for a big wet kiss, sweetheart."

The woman shrieks "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps I can be of assistance," says Liz. "It's a simple matter of direction finding and triangulation. They did this all the time in the war. We can detect the direction of the interfering signal from this location, and then we draw a line on a map in that direction. Next we move to another location - that cart will be useful for that - and take another reading, drawing a second line on the map. The point where the two lines intersect is precisely where the interfering signal originates." However, it does not prove quite as easy as she thinks. "Zara, you're an artist. Perhaps you should draw the lines. That way we can get a better fix on the position."
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15) to track the radio interference: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:45 am
by SunlessNick

Zara takes the pencil and draws the lines where Liz directs. She seems a bit more clear-headed than usual - perhaps the hair-raising ride in the gold-cart cleared some of the cotton wool out of her brain. "I think that's as good as I can get."
OOC,Intelligence 10, Artistry doesn't seem to fit. Rolled 1D20: 9.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:51 am
by jp1885

Tony rolls his eyes at Ratface.

"A little more decorum while you're in our employ please Ratface."

He retrieves the ball and hands it back to the girl, bowing slightly.

"Apologies for my fiend's behaviour, Miss-?"

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Tex examines the drawing.

"Fine piece of artwork, little lady. Might I could figure out where the interference is comin' from."

Consulting some detailed road maps of Southern California, he comes to a conclusion.

"Must be somewheres about the Aragon Ballroom, where Lawrence Welk used to play. Always cared more for Hank Williams myself.

"I better run y'all back to the parking lot and get back to work, see if I can get this cantankerous Venus probe workin' again."

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I'm Bunny," the young woman replies. "Thanks, Mister. You're a nice man, unlike some people I could name." She sticks her tongue out at Ratface, who just laughs. "You remind me of my father."

She runs off to join the others.

"Enough foolin' around," Sailor says. "What do you want us to do, chief?"

"I wanna help. Can I help? Let me help," Turkey says.

Ratface sidles up to the adventurers.

"Turkey's a good soldier, ut-bay ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray, if ya know what I mean," he explains.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Liz. "We'll head to the Aragon Ballroom and see if we can track down the source of the interference."

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:14 am
by SunlessNick

"That was pretty tuff," Zara says of the golf cart ride. "So where's this Aragon place?"

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 am
by jp1885

Tony's ego deflates at the words 'you remind me of my father.' He watches as the young kids run off with their ball; their carefree lives ahead of them.

"Ah well, je ne regrette rien..." He turns to the others. "This outlet is the only common point to the attacks. Take a look around, up the pipe and such. Let's see if the embalmer has left anything."

"This will sound crazy, but keep an eye out for splashes of milk."

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"That was pretty tuff," Zara says of the golf cart ride. "So where's this Aragon place?"
Someone in the group recalls that it is located just outside Pacific Ocean Park, and that it is being currently renovated to transform it in a rock 'n' roll venue. During the daytime, it's full of construction workers.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony's ego deflates at the words 'you remind me of my father.' He watches as the young kids run off with their ball; their carefree lives ahead of them.

"Ah well, je ne regrette rien..." He turns to the others. "This outlet is the only common point to the attacks. Take a look around, up the pipe and such. Let's see if the embalmer has left anything."

"This will sound crazy, but keep an eye out for splashes of milk."
"I don't think I can remember what milk looks like, boss," Ratface says. "I don't suppose you'd settle for beer."

"I'll look, I'll look," Turkey says.

The three bikers search the area for anything of interest. Mostly it's just the usual collection of litter; cigarette butts and such.
Spoiler:
three npc's with average wisdom (9) searching[dice]0[/dice]
"Not a danged thing as far as I can tell," Sailor says.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am
by jp1885

"Hmm, I was convinced we'd find something..."

Tony joins in the search.
Wisdom,Wisdom 10+1[dice]0[/dice]
But also finds nothing of interest.

Unless Lew has better luck, Tony wonders whether his new friends would be able to get them into the POP without alerting any guards. He wants to take a look at Natasha's lair. If not, he will return to base and await the return of the others, charging the gang members to keep an eye out as previously instructed.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Ratface grins. "I'm always up for a little breaking and entering. Just say the word, chief."

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 am
by Rooter
At the JPL:

"Maybe better to wait until the construction workers are done for the day before checking out the Aragon," Carson says. "In the meantime I'll make a few phone calls, see if I can find out if the place is owned by any persons of interest."

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 am
by jp1885

"If you can get me into the Westinghouse Enchanted Forest without being spotted by anyone outside or in, then, Mr. Ratface, let's roll."

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:41 pm
by Starspawn338
On the off chance that they missed something, Lew looks around too.
OOC,Wisdom 10 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know if we can wait that long," says Liz. "That Venus probe may be lost for good if communications aren't restored quickly. We can at least take some more readings from closer to the Aragon and pinpoint the source of the interference more precisely."

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:At the JPL:

"Maybe better to wait until the construction workers are done for the day before checking out the Aragon," Carson says. "In the meantime I'll make a few phone calls, see if I can find out if the place is owned by any persons of interest."
All records indicate that the Aragon Ballroom is operated by the same company which has owned it for many years, and that they have a clean record. They even pay their taxes.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I don't know if we can wait that long," says Liz. "That Venus probe may be lost for good if communications aren't restored quickly. We can at least take some more readings from closer to the Aragon and pinpoint the source of the interference more precisely."
It takes most of the day to get some good readings without drawing attention. The broadcasts are coming from about the middle of the Aragon Ballroom, and from beneath the ground; deeper than the basement of the place.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"If you can get me into the Westinghouse Enchanted Forest without being spotted by anyone outside or in, then, Mr. Ratface, let's roll."
"Easy as taking candy from a baby, chief. Just watch."

When the group arrives at the entrance to the abandoned park, a pair of cops are on patrol.

"OK, Turkey, do your thing."

Turkey runs past the cops yelling.

"Dirty pigs all stink!"

This has the desired effect. The cops chase after Turkey, catching up with him a little later. Meanwhile, Ratface and Sailor lead the rest through the turnstiles, breaking open the ineffectual locks and chains that held them shut.

"Turkey'll cool his heels in jail for a while. Nothin' new about that. We bust the place open, they lock it back up. Kind of a game. The cops would rather have us in here raisin' Hell than buggin' the squares."

The Westinghouse Enchanted Forest is equally easy to enter. Unlike before, its conveyor belt is not currently operating, nor are there any other obvious signs of life.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:00 am
by jp1885

Tony suspects that Natasha and her cronies split after being discovered by Carson and Zara, but is on is guard nonetheless. he switches on his flashlight.

"Take a look around, but be careful. This is the lair of a Soviet agent, so there's no telling what traps have been left lying around."

He turns to Lew and shrugs apologetically.

"This might not be related to the Embalmer case I'm afraid, but if you help me you'll be doing a great service to your country."

He begins to mooch around, starting off with the submarine and then the apparently blank wall that Carson said Natasha came out of last time.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 pm
by SunlessNick

"If it's from that far down, maybe the way to get in there isn't in the building," Zara suggests.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a possibility," says Liz. "Perhaps we could gain entrance via the sewers. There've got to be plans on file."

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 pm
by Starspawn338
"You never know what you will find when you start digging around." Lew replies as he helps search for clues.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:54 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Searching with two WIS of 9, one of 10, one of 11 respectively[dice]0[/dice]
It seems apparent that the former occupants of this place left in something of a hurry, as they have left several items behind. Empty vodka bottles and tins of caviar are scattered about, as well as old copies of Pravda and Izvestia. There is also a sheet of paper with a series of numbers on it, which appears to have been transmitted by teletype. The meaning of this is not apparent.

_________________________________________________________________________________

City records provide detailed diagrams of the sewer system, which goes back to the previous century. A determined person, properly equipped, could reach just about any part of the city through its tangled labyrinth, with some effort.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:41 pm
by jp1885

Tony studies the numbers on the sheet of paper - some kind of code no doubt. He shows it to Lew.

"Perhaps the delectable Dr. North could take a look, or maybe our chum Agent Carson has a few codebreaker friends in his organisation. Failing that my Aunt Maud used to do something hush-hush with numbers during the war..."

He carefully folds the paper and slips it inside his jacket.

"While we're here, shall we continue to look around old chap? Ratface, could you get us into, say Neptune's Kingdom?"

He grins.

"Maybe our killer has delusions of grandeur."

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Bletchley Park's existence didn't become public knowledge until 1974, though it's possible Aunt Maud told her family - though she sure wasn't supposed to tell anyone. Incidentally, I had it in mind that [b]Liz[/b]'s father was at Bletchley during the war too. [b]Liz[/b] could also take a crack at the code.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:27 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Fair point. Post edited accordingly :D

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'll need to get properly equipped before we venture down there," says Liz. "Electric torches in particular, and rope wouldn't go amiss. We'll also want to confer with the others before we mount an expedition into the sewers."

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:51 pm
by Starspawn338
"I wonder what it means or if it even has anything to do with the Embalmer." Lew muses as he looks over the numbers. "Do you think there are any underground tunnels or anything around here we could access that might lead somewhat secretly to the water? I doubt he runs around in his scuba gear outside so it stands to reason that he must have a hidden way to access the canals."

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:00 pm
by jp1885

"I agree Lew. If his lair is indeed in this park, I'm willing to bet it's underneath and connected to the canals. Let's take a good look around."

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It takes no great effort to break into Neptune's Kingdom. In fact, it is obvious that the place as often been used as a site for partying by both motorcycle gangs.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
In fact, as of right now there are three members of the Damned Souls inside. When the rival gangs catch sight of each other, they immediately jump at each other with deadly intent.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
Mostly the blows come to nothing, as the enemies swing their fists, chains, knives, and other weapons at each other. However, Sailor manages to land a punch on one of the Damned Souls, causing some injury. Ratface gets punched by one of the opponents brass knuckles and is knocked unconscious.

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:06 am
by jp1885
Victoria,Didn't Turkey get arrested to distract the guards? Either way, I assume the rumble is continuing?
"Lew, can you help him?"

To give Lew some space to help their unconscious comrade, Tony steps in front of the stricken chap and raises his stick in a defensive posture.

"Our beef is not with you sirs - avaunt!"
OOC,Perhaps it is time to describe Tony's stick. To the casual observer it may look like a normal wooden walking stick with a curved handle. Look closely however and you'll see that it has been carefully weighted so that it can be used by holding either end without unbalancing the user. Also, while the 'outside' (the side that normally faces the observer) is smooth, the 'inside' (the side that faces Tony) has a sawtooth pattern carved into it. Being hit by the smooth side means the force of the blow is distributed along the length of the stick. This is preferable to being hit by the sawtooth side, where the force of the blow is concentrated into the 'teeth', thus causing a more severe hit.

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Oops! My forgetful memory. Edited to reflect that fact.
Seeing that the battle is not going their way, Sailor drags his compatriot away from the carnage, deserting the investigators.

Pleased by their victory, the Damned Souls confront the newcomers with words rather than blows.

"Whatcha doin' with them losers? Whatcha want here?"

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:33 pm
by jp1885

Tony watches as Sailor drags Ratface away. He lowers his stick and grins in what he hopes is a disarming fashion.
"Whatcha doin' with them losers? Whatcha want here?"
"One up to the Damned Souls eh? Those gentlemen were in our employ - we are on the hunt for the Embalmer!"

He pauses for dramatic effect.

"I should have known that they wouldn't be up to the job. Oh why didn't I come to you guys first, like I was advised to by every cat who knows what's what? My mistake gentlemen, my mistake."

He nods towards his compatriot.

"You may recognise my friend Mr. Collins - well we want to search the Pee-Oh-Pee to find this Embalmer creep's pad. With your permission and possibly assistance of course."

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:41 pm
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"We'll need to get properly equipped before we venture down there," says Liz. "Electric torches in particular, and rope wouldn't go amiss. We'll also want to confer with the others before we mount an expedition into the sewers."

"And change," Zara says, looking down at her dress and boots. "I've got a lot of torches and lamps at home."

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:03 am
by Starspawn338
Lew nods to the gang. "I'm Lew Collins. I've represented a fair share of club members in court so I hope that you will hear us out." He pauses and then continues, "the police are incompetent and we have a friend who has been taken by the Embalmer. We need some help in getting her back. Perhaps you could help? We suspect that he is using sewers or some underground way to get in and out of the canals and our research points to the P O P as central to his movements. Do any of you know any underground tunnels or places that the sewers connect up to the canals around here?"

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Too right," says Liz. "I wouldn't want to ruin my outfit either. A wetsuit should do nicely, and oxygen tanks. We may need to do some swimming down there."

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The bikers confer with each other for a few minutes.

"Yeah," one says at last. "I guess you guys are OK. But bringin' the Dirty Saints here, in our territory, is, like, a matter of honor, dig? So we can't go with ya, or it might mess with our rep.

"Besides, only a sap would want to go messin' around under the park. We had a coupla guys fool around down there. All kinds of tunnels and stuff connectin' up the place. But the whole thing is fallin' apart. One of the guys busted his leg, the other got his face cut up pretty bad.

"So, if you wanna do the same, it's your funeral. Us, we'd rather stay up here and get loaded."

Meanwhile, the other investigators are able to obtain the proper wet suits and underwater lanterns and such required for an excursion into Venice's sewer system, most of it courtesy of the Big Kahuna.

"Gotta admit I'm curious about what you're gonna do with all this stuff," he says as he rings up the rather large tab.

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:25 am
by jp1885

Tony is highly amused at the thought of such people having the concept of honour and fights down a chuckle.

"Very well. If you could show us how to get to the tunnels we'll leave you be."

He turns to Lew.

"What do you think? Shall we head straight in or return to base and get ourselves kitted out first? I've already ruined one suit recently - at this rate my man in Saville Row will refuse to speak to me..."

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 pm
by Rooter

"The Queen of England here wants to get to know our fair city better," Carson replies to the Big Kahuna. "As long as she's paying, right?"

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:57 pm
by Starspawn338
"At minimum, we need to let the others know what our plan is in case we break a leg or get our faces cut up."

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being general agreement that a meeting to determine a plan of action would be in order, those within the park make their way outside it, running into the others just as they are emerging from the Surf Shack with all manner of equipment. The Damned Souls have provided vague instructions as to how to attain access to the chaos of tunnels that lie beneath the park. It seems that the best entryway -- or, perhaps, the least bad -- lies somewhere inside the Flight to Mars ride; a building whose entrance is located under a mock-up of a flying saucer. This would, of course, require another session of breaking and entering under the watchful eyes of the police, now that Turkey has been released on bail.

There is also still the possibility of entering the sewer system of Venice; a difficult and unpleasant business, but one with, perhaps, fewer prying eyes.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:08 am
by SunlessNick

"I don't see why the Embalmer would care about that probe," Zara says. "Unless he's an alien or something, with that weird blood. So maybe it's those Russians, and he killed one of them on the way between there and the park. We could start with that bit of the sewer." She wrinkles her nose at the thought, then adds "What colour's embalming fluid? God I need a drink."

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 am
by Rooter

"Hmm. Maybe the color is something like that blood," Carson says. "Let me give the lab a call." He goes to the payphone and asks for a comparison between the blood sample and the fluid found in the embalmed victims.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:35 pm
by jp1885

"I agree Zara, if we can get back into the park, I think we should try the tunnels there first."

"Speaking of the park..."
He fishes the mysterious piece of paper out of his pocket. "We found this where the Russians were lurking around. Dr. North, do you think you could run an eye over it?"

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
"Hmm. Maybe the color is something like that blood," Carson says. "Let me give the lab a call." He goes to the payphone and asks for a comparison between the blood sample and the fluid found in the embalmed victims."
The samples taken from the victims were a pale yellow-green, almost clear. They were much thinner than the so-called "blood," almost like water.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"I agree Zara, if we can get back into the park, I think we should try the tunnels there first."

"Speaking of the park..."
He fishes the mysterious piece of paper out of his pocket. "We found this where the Russians were lurking around. Dr. North, do you think you could run an eye over it?"
Looking over the encrypted message -- for this it what it seems to be -- it is obvious that decoding it would require the use of a high-speed computer, of the kind that takes up most of a good-sized room.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:33 am
by jp1885

"Agent Carson, could you perhaps pass this on to your organisation for their perusal?"

He proffers the paper to the agent before turning to view the park.

"If we're going spellunking I want to be properly attired, so you'll have to excuse me for a minute - wait here, I won't be long."

He heads off to a phone booth to contact his chauffeur, asking him to bring a pair of overalls ASAP.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It will take a day or two to decode the message; those reel-to-reel tapes the computers use don't come cheap.

Meanwhile, those adventurers so inclined discover a quiet place where it's possible to remove a manhole cover and descend into the city's sewer system. At first, it offers only what one would expect. (No albino alligators, as rumor has it.) After a while, as they approach the area that served the park, they discover a series of tunnels which appear to have been carved in an amateurish manner at some time in the past. A quick examination reveals that these form an irregular labyrinth. As a starting point, just under the Flight to Mars, the tunnels branch off from the sewer system in three directions; left, right, and straight ahead, but at a sharp angle down.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should make a copy of the coded message," suggests Liz, who wears a tight, form-fitting wetsuit. "I could try running it through the JPL's computer, if they'll let me use one of theirs. They'll be grateful if we can stop the interference with their communications, but first let's find the Embalmer. His lair might be beneath Neptune's Kingdom." She recalls the map of the park and tries to deduce which tunnel would lead in that direction, checking a compass to see which way is which.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:39 am
by Starspawn338
Lew is wearing some older shabby clothes with waders to keep the muck off. He uses his cane to probe the floor whenever he encounters water... if you can call it that. He's carrying a flashlight and has a revolver in a shoulder harness as they descend into the sewer.

"I'm not really much at spelunking so I'd best leave the choice of direction to someone with more skill."

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It's not too difficult to figure out that the tunnel leading to the right would lead to the area below Neptune's Kingdom. Like all the "unofficial" tunnels, it's very rough, slippery, and filled with junk of all kinds.
Spoiler:
Anybody who wants to go through this tunnel, or any similar tunnel, make a successful roll against Dexterity to avoid injury.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:55 am
by jp1885

Tony appears, clad in workman's overalls and tossing a large ball of string from hand to hand.

"Neptune's Kingdom is as good a place to start as any," he says and begins to play out the string - tying the loose end to a heavy piece of rubble.

"A modern-day Theseus, what?"
DEX 14,[dice]0[/dice]
Alas Theseus was probably a lot more sure-footed than the playboy detective.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am
by Rooter

Carson is more interested in following his orders to investigate the transmissions coming from beneath the Aragon, and attempts to determine which tunnel leads in that direction.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:34 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is also easy to tell that the tunnel going to the left leads in the general direction of the Aragon Ballroom.

A sharp cry of pain from Tony indicates that he has tripped over some loose stones and mortar, difficult to see even with lantern or flashlight.
Spoiler:
Take one point of damage and reduce DEX by one point while in the tunnels.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:38 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara has a cheaper wetsuit, the kind surfers might wear to the beach. "This is grody," she says in response to Tony's mishap.
OOC,Dexterity 13 +1 Perception SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 14
A few moments later she adds, "Ow!"

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:35 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Dexterity 9 [dice]0[/dice]
There is so much junk under the water in the sewer that using the cane proves to be insufficient to avoid obstacles. Lew swears as he bruises his shin on an unseen hazard.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:35 am
by SunlessNick

"Did the Russians put booby traps here, or are we just not cut out for this?"

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz moves with her characteristic grace. "I doubt this was a Russian trap," she says. "For one thing, we're not dead. I think this place is just dangerous all on its own. Still, we should keep an eye out for traps in the area of their secret lair. While I'm not a medical doctor, I do know a bit about first aid." She looks at the others' injuries, starting with Zara.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) going down the tunnel: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The injuries are more annoying than serious, but will render all those hurt to be a little less graceful until a day or so to recover.

After this series of mishaps, the party continues to the area below Neptune's Kingdom; meanwhile, Carson heads in another direction, intent on his own mission.

The tunnel leads to a large underground chamber a fair distance below Neptune's Kingdom. In the dim light provided by the adventurers' flashlights and lanterns, a macabre sight appears. Sitting on carved stone benches are what appear to be figures wearing the robes of monks. Under their hoods there appear to be skulls, although this is somewhat difficult to tell, given the shadows casts by the hoods.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
There are four of them, arranged in a sort of semicircle, as if they were looking at the opposite wall of the chamber. Well might they be, as there is a bizarre sight to be seen there as well.

Arranged along the wall are a series of tall, transparent cylinders. Each is well over six feet tall, and something over a foot in diameter. They are set in niches carved in the stone, as if intended for display.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
There are an even dozen.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
Of these, all but three are empty. The others contain what appear to be women dressed in white dresses, although it is possible that these are mannequins of some sort, again due to the dim and partial lighting.

Determining anything else about the monk-like figures, or the women, or if there is anything else of interest within the chamber, will require much closer examination.
Spoiler:
You may choose to either examine one of the monks, or one of the women, or search elsewhere in the room; but only one of these actions, at least for now. If the monks, choose a number from 1 to 4; if the women, choose from 1 to 3; if searching elsewhere, just make a Wisdom roll with appropriate adjustments.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:13 am
by SunlessNick

Her hand over her mouth, Zara creeps a short way into the room, trying to make out if any of the women are real - and if one of the is Moonflower - without moving into the monks' field of view.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:43 am
by jp1885

"By the cringe!"

Tony has seen some strange things in his time, but nothing like this. His first thought is to release the women from the cylinders, but he decides to ensure that the robed figures do not pose a threat first.
Dice roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Choosing the fourth figure and keeping it at arms length, he gingerly tries to push back the hood with his stick.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 am
by Rooter
Elsewhere:

Spoiler:
DEX 9[dice]0[/dice]
Carson proceeds along the left hand tunnel in the direction of the Aragon Ballroom with pistol in hand, narrowly avoiding injury in the rubble.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz inspects the third woman in one of the cylinders, taking care to stay out of the line of sight of the monks, shivering as she realizes just how close she came to being in one of them herself. She grips her mace in her hand in case any of them notice and come after her.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon closer inspection, the fourth monk turns out to be exactly what it seemed to be at first; a skeleton dressed in robes. If touched, the bones rattle in the way one would expect, and perhaps even fall apart. From the complete lack of flesh, it seems that it has been in this condition for quite some time.

Zara takes a look at the first encased woman, or doll, or whatever it might be.
Spoiler:
INT = 10 + 1 Perception[dice]0[/dice]
From her experience with life studies, she is able to determine that it is indeed a real woman, kept in some sort of state of preservation. Her studies of fashions of former times also allows her to notice that the woman is dressed in one of the light gowns with a very high waistline associated with the Regency Period. This is consistent with the woman's hairstyle.

Similarly, Liz takes a closer look at the third woman.
Spoiler:
INT = 14[dice]1[/dice]
Although somewhat outside her usual scientific realm, she is able to deduce that this woman, judging from her bobbed hair and her tasseled, knee-length dress, resembles someone from the 1920's.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
Spoiler:
DEX 9[dice]218618:0[/dice]
Carson proceeds along the left hand tunnel in the direction of the Aragon Ballroom with pistol in hand, narrowly avoiding injury in the rubble.
The tunnel leads for quite some distance until it reaches a large, rectangular room, carved in a more professional manner that the tunnel leading to it. In the center of the room, glittering in the light of Carson's flashlight, is a odd piece of equipment. It stands about two feet high, with a sphere standing on top of a cube. The entire apparatus sits in the middle of a metal plate extending several feet around it in all directions. A cage of fine metal wire surrounds it. At the moment, there is no sound or motion coming from it.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Someone likes to play dress-up," whispers Liz as she tries to determine if the woman in the cylinder is somehow still alive and, if so, how to safely release her.
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15) examining the cylinder: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
If the women within the cylinders are, in some sense, living, this is not easy to determine from without. Nor is there any obvious way to open them. They seem to be made of a substance as transparent as the finest glass, but very strong, as a few taps with the end of a flashlight reveals.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:29 am
by SunlessNick

Zara looks at the third woman (and notes if any of them are Moonflower). Then she forces herself to look away and see if there are any other entrances to the room.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The third woman (actually the second in line, going from left to right) wears a heavy, floor-length gown, and her hair swept up in an elaborate fashion. The ensemble suggests the Victorian Era.

None of them are Moonflower.

There are no obvious other entrances to the room.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:40 am
by jp1885

Tony frowns. Were the skeletons drawing sustenance from the women, were they guarding them, protecting them?

"We need to find out more before we do anything rash..." he mutters to himself, unaware that poking the figure with his stick was probably the rashest thing he could have done.

He gingerly searches the skeleton before performing a search of the chamber for any clues.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 am
by Rooter

In the other room Carson takes a photograph of the odd piece of apparatus then walks around it careful not to touch the metal cage, looking for anything resembling a control panel or power source.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: "We need to find out more before we do anything rash..." he mutters to himself, unaware that poking the figure with his stick was probably the rashest thing he could have done.

He gingerly searches the skeleton before performing a search of the chamber for any clues.
Further examination of the skeleton reveals nothing else of interest.

Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Searching through the rubble covering the floor uncovers a tiny wooden trap door, of so small a size that not even a child could enter it. There is no handle, and lifting it open would require both skill and strength.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
In the other room Carson takes a photograph of the odd piece of apparatus then walks around it careful not to touch the metal cage, looking for anything resembling a control panel or power source.
There is nothing else in the otherwise empty room to suggest that such exists.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:14 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew will examine another monk to see if all of them are dead.

"Have any of you seen anything like this before?" Lew asks haltingly.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not I," says Liz. She examines the trapdoor. "I may be able to pry this open with that stick. I'm stronger than I look. There could be something important inside."

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:35 am
by jp1885

"I've seen one or two underground lairs in my time, but this is something else."

Tony will assist Dr. North if she requires help. If not, he will join Lew in checking out the other skeletons.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:36 pm
by SunlessNick

"He must do the embalming somewhere," Zara says, joining Liz. "And I don't see any other way out of here."

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Even a baby wouldn't fit through that," says Liz, borrowing the stick, "but there may be an important clue beneath it." While she is certainly strong enough to lever the trapdoor open, she cannot find any way to wedge the stick in place without help.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12 + 1[Discover Secrets] = 13) prying open the trapdoor: [dice]0[/dice] Strength roll (12 + 1[Discover Secrets] = 13) prying open the trapdoor: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:12 pm
by jp1885

Tony admires Dr. North's strength. As she levers up the hatch, he attempts to wedge in a piece of rubble to keep it open.
Dex 13,[dice]0[/dice]
"Allow me Dr. North."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:01 am
by SunlessNick

Zara takes the chance to look into the hole with her torch, in case the trapdoor proves too heavy for the stick and stone to brace it open.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers!" says Liz with a smile. "Please, do call me Liz."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 am
by jp1885

Tony beams, as if a great honour has been bestowed upon him.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:04 pm
by Rooter
Elsewhere:

Carson studies the transmission apparatus thoughtfully. Does he recognize it as being of foreign, perhaps Russian, construction?
Spoiler:
INT 9[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:[

Carson studies the transmission apparatus thoughtfully. Does he recognize it as being of foreign, perhaps Russian, construction?
Spoiler:
INT 9[dice]218908:0[/dice]
Carson realizes that this design resembles other Soviet equipment intended to interfere with American satellites, disrupting their orbits.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew will examine another monk to see if all of them are dead.

"Have any of you seen anything like this before?" Lew asks haltingly.
Spoiler:
determining which one of the 3 left[dice]0[/dice]
Examination of the first monk reveals the same as the fourth; a skeleton of appreciable age, apparently set up deliberately in this pose.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara takes the chance to look into the hole with her torch, in case the trapdoor proves too heavy for the stick and stone to brace it open.
The investigators display a proper use of co-operation and manage to prop the trapdoor open. The torch reveals, at some distance below, a churning, bubbling, milk-white liquid.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:44 am
by SunlessNick

"Ewch. It looks like a pool of that weird blood he had."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah," says Liz. "Curiouser and curiouser." She then sees Lew examining the robed skeleton. "We should inspect the other two, just to be thorough. The killer could be hiding in plain sight by posing as one of them, after all." She examines the nearest one that hasn't been studied yet, mace at the ready.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 am
by jp1885

"We need to collect a sample of this fluid," Tony says, peering down the small hatch. "But I agree, let's make sure about these chaps first."

He repeats his previous manoeuvre on the remaining robed figure, gingerly pulling back the hood from behind with his stick.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Let's see who gets lucky . . . 1 = Liz 2 = Tony[dice]0[/dice]
As Tony reveals another skeleton, Liz unmasks a figure who has been sitting motionlessly, disguised as just another skeleton, all this time. This is not as difficult as it might seem, as the being is unnaturally cadaverous, as if only the thinnest possible layer of dead white skin covered its bones, without any flesh between. It stands and emits a high-pitched shriek, opening wide a mouth revealing only hollow blackness within. Most alarming of all, perhaps, are its eye sockets, which seem to be filled with nothing but a white, gelatinous substance.

Prepared with the mace, Liz sprays the being full in the face with the irritating chemical, but it appears to have no effect. It lashes out with long, bony fingers.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]
The hard and sharp fingers, nearly claws, strike Liz in the face.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
The wound is a serious one.

The being shrieks and makes threatening moves at the others in the room while making its way to the trap door.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Reeling from her wound, Liz scrambles to the trap door to try to slam it shut with the last ounce of her strength, relying on the others to protect her.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) to shut the trapdoor: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:49 am
by Starspawn338
Lew pulls out his pistol and aims it at the creature. "Stand down. Don't make any moves or you will be shot."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:41 am
by jp1885

"Liz!"

Tony springs to her side, daring not to engage the creature lest Lew fires and misses.

Thinking fast, he fishes out his hipflask and passes it to Liz, not realising that she has closed the hatch.

"Pour this down that hatch, maybe it'll damage the thing if that's it's blood supply."

He then turns and faces the creature, stick raised defensively.

"Do what my friend says. Not one more step!"

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:07 am
by Rooter
Elsewhere:

"Those darn commies, I shoulda known." Carson casts around for any other signs of Russian activity.
Spoiler:
Could the muzzle of his pistol fit through a gap in the cage?

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:26 am
by SunlessNick
OOC:   Wisdom 11, -1 Emotional
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 9  
Zara manages not to scream at the sudden appearance of this monstrosity. Lacking any other weapon, she picks up one of the pieces of rummble and throws it at the creature.
OOC:   Strength 6
Dexterity 13, -1 for the injury
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 15  
Unfortunately it's both wide and short of the mark.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
Spoiler:
Could the muzzle of his pistol fit through a gap in the cage?
Close examination of the metal cage surrounding the device reveals that the gaps between the wires are just about the same size as the muzzle of Carson's pistol. It might be possible to fit the tip of the weapon between the wires, but it would take a steady hand and cool nerves.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The creature emits barely intelligible sounds, its voice reminiscent of wind blowing through a hollow tube.

"Foooooooooolzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzeeeeeee mazzzzteeeeeeeer comezzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzoooooooooon."

With that, it collapses to the ground, its body dissolving into a bubbling puddle of the white liquid. Acting in a way which seems contrary to nature, the pool of liquid, seemingly of its own accord, flows up a slight slope on the floor, in the direction of the skeletons.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:23 am
by SunlessNick

"Scatter the bones," Zara calls, rushing to the nearest of the skeletons to action to words.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz grabs the flask, pours its contents on the bubbling liquid, and then tries to use the flask to trap it.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) to trap the liquid in the flask: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:53 pm
by jp1885

"Good idea Zara!"

Tony leaps forward and brings his stick down on the nearest skeleton.
OOC:   Is Bill Ferris still with us? This is starting to get supernatural!  

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The liquid, almost as if it has a mind of its own, escapes from being trapped within the flask.

As the bold adventurers demolish the remaining skeletons, they attempt to avoid stepping into the liquid, which races at them as if it has aggressive intent.
Spoiler:
Zara DEX = 13[dice]0[/dice] Tony DEX currently 13, but I'll add the danger bonus, so back to 14[dice]1[/dice]
They both evade the approach of the substance; a good thing, as it appears to be melting the stone floor as if it has become a powerful acid.

With this threat avoided, and everyone careful to step around the stuff, it soon becomes clear that Liz is in need of serious medical attention. Before that can be attended to, however, the room echoes with a loud booming sound as steel bars emerge from the ceiling above the only obvious entrance , crashing to the floor and sealing the party inside. As the last echo reverberates through the chamber, a voice fills the room, seemingly from everywhere. It is a deep, strong, male voice, rendered more so by the echoing effect of the chamber.

"Why have you desecrated my sanctum?"
Spoiler:
Since evil_scientist has not been heard from for a while, if anybody wants to make use of Bill in a reasonable way, that would be fine.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Her strength depleted and not able to do much else, Liz tries to tend to her own wounds and stop the bleeding.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:42 am
by SunlessNick

Zara goes to offer whatever help she can to Liz. In response to the booming voice, she shouts, "Who are you? Where's Moonflower?"
OOC:   Bill hasn't used his feat of strength as far as I recall - maybe he can try raising the bars (or one of them if they're not attached to one another).  

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara goes to offer whatever help she can to Liz. In response to the booming voice, she shouts, "Who are you? Where's Moonflower?"
With a note of intrigued amusement, the voice replies.

"She is being prepared. As for myself, that is of no concern to you. Unless, of course, you have come to offer yourself to be preserved."

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:16 am
by SunlessNick

Zara pauses, then "Yes. I'm here to be prepared. But I don't know where to go. Where should I go to be prepared?"

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 am
by Starspawn338
Lew looks around for the source of the voice.
"We haven't desecrated anything. However, we have come to retrieve our friend Moonflower."

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:25 am
by Rooter

On second thought, with the location and the photograph as evidence, Carson figures the smart thing to do is call his office and have the Company send in a clean-up team to deal with the device. Before heading back down the tunnel to find the others he scribbles a note and leaves it on the cage: Natasha-- Uncle Sam is on to you. Regards, Jack.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:40 am
by jp1885

With Zara tending to Liz and the mysterious voice hopefully distracted, Tony performs a more thorough search. He looks for some kind of control panel, lever or some kind of pipe work he could sabotage.
OOC:   Yes, Bill could use his feat of strength on the bars, perhaps calling out with his strong singing voice to Agent Carson for help.  

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Why do you preserve women?" Liz asks the voice, hoping that the killer, like all egomaniacs, will want to brag. Then she takes out her chalk and begins the ritual, drawing the circle of protection around herself and performing the chant. A feather could knock her over at this point, and she needs all the protection she can get.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara pauses, then "Yes. I'm here to be prepared. But I don't know where to go. Where should I go to be prepared?"
"Ah, one comes of her own free will! It has been so long! Patience, my dear, and all will be revealed."

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew looks around for the source of the voice.
"We haven't desecrated anything. However, we have come to retrieve our friend Moonflower."
Spoiler:
wis=10[dice]0[/dice]
While distracting the unseen speaker with this statement, Lew is able to examine the walls of the room. He discovers a sort of speaking tube, hidden between rocky protrusions in a dark part of the chamber. Obviously this, and others, provide the illusion that the voice comes from all directions. In fact, it appears that the speaker must be located just below this room.

"If she is truly your friend," the voice says in response, "then you must be pleased that she has been selected."

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
On second thought, with the location and the photograph as evidence, Carson figures the smart thing to do is call his office and have the Company send in a clean-up team to deal with the device. Before heading back down the tunnel to find the others he scribbles a note and leaves it on the cage: Natasha-- Uncle Sam is on to you. Regards, Jack.
Carson is able to locate the others quickly, finding them engaged in a peculiar conversation with an unseen speaker, in a room currently sealed off by heavy metal bars.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:

With Zara tending to Liz and the mysterious voice hopefully distracted, Tony performs a more thorough search. He looks for some kind of control panel, lever or some kind of pipe work he could sabotage.
Spoiler:
WIS =11[dice]0[/dice]
After a thorough search, Tony is able to locate a hidden door in an obscured corner of the room. While looking for a way it operate it, it opens on its own with a sound of machinery operating, revealing a small room, large enough to only accommodate one person in a very confined space.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Why do you preserve women?" Liz asks the voice, hoping that the killer, like all egomaniacs, will want to brag. Then she takes out her chalk and begins the ritual, drawing the circle of protection around herself and performing the chant. A feather could knock her over at this point, and she needs all the protection she can get.
"How else can their beauty be conveyed to posterity? Would you allow paintings to be burned? Statues to be shattered? No, such exquisite works of art must be kept pure for eternity!

"I see that one of my guardians has injured you. A pity. You might have served. Well, no matter, now that there is one wise enough to appreciate the gift I offer her.

"Please enter the small room that has just now opened for you, 'thou still unravish'd bride.'"

(This last statement is apparently directed at Zara.)

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Bill's Feat of Strength to open the bars. STR = 11 + 3 = 14[dice]0[/dice]
With a mighty effort of will, Bill calls upon reserves of power to force two of the bars apart far enough to allow escape from the room, breathing hard from the extraordinary difficulty of the task.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:21 am
by SunlessNick

Zara is shaking as she turns to Liz and whispers "Please find me," ... hugging herself, she walks to the room Tony opened.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz weakly gives Zara a hug. "We will," she says, then lowers her voice to a whisper. "Wait, let me cobble together a radio transmitter from these bits of electronics we've got first so we can track you down the same we we've been tracking the interference." Working between their bodies so that the Embalmer can't see what she's doing, she tries to assemble a small, simple transmitter to conceal on Zara's person.
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15) to cobble together a transmitter: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:14 am
by jp1885

Tony's instinct is to stop Zara from entering the room, but he knows that forcing his will on the girl would make him no better than the disembodied voice. Instead, he clasps her hands as she passes him.

"Be careful..."

When he lets go, Zara will discover that he has palmed a small penknife to her.

As he edges towards Liz he addresses the voice.

"Quoting Keats eh? Zara is a person, not a Grecian urn! 'Beauty conveyed to posterity?' What utter rot! A woman's beauty comes from the vital spark within her, not from being pickled like a gherkin! Why, I'd rather enjoy an hour's company with a loving, laughing girl than an eternity with a tailor's dummy! No matter - you have your willing victim, so return Moonflower to us in return."

Meanwhile, if Bill has any breath left, perhaps he could sneak out and fill Carson in on what's been going on?

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:15 pm
by SunlessNick
jp1885 wrote:When he lets go, Zara will discover that he has palmed a small penknife to her.

"Thankyou."

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Because the small radio transmitter allows for sound transmission as well as tracking, the investigators will be aware of what is happening below them. (Zara will no doubt take what opportunities she can to whisper descriptions of what's going on into the transmitter.)

Below indeed, for once Zara steps into the small room the door closes with a loud bang, and the sensation of rapidly descending is felt. Down, down, for what seems like ages, but might only be seconds. The door then opens, revealing a room more expertly constructed than those above, with real walls of gleaming white, suggesting a hospital.

This is fitting, for the place is equipped like a surgical facility, although one of an eccentric kind. There are two operating tables surrounded by various kinds of equipment. One is currently unoccupied. Upon the other lies the young woman known as Moonflower. She is dressed in a loose, flowing, ankle-length white dress. (It will be remembered that all the women in the transparent cylinders were also arrayed in white, although in clothing of different periods of time.) She is very pale and appears to be unconscious, although can be seen to be breathing slowly. Two sets of intravenous sets are attached to her body. From one, blood flows out and into a large glass container. From the other, a white fluid drains into her body. Both liquids move at an extremely slow rate, drop by drop.

Standing nearby is a figure nearly completely hidden by heavy clothing, despite the fact the room is not at all cold. It wears a long, thick, black leather coat over woolen black shirt and pants, black leather boots, black leather gloves, and a large black leather hat which conceals the upper part of its head. Wrapped around the lower part of its face is a black woolen scarf. Its eyes are hidden by large goggles with black lenses. In one gloved hand it holds an old-fashioned cutthroat razor, held dangling casually with its blade exposed, as if it is something it always carries. Its voice, recognizable as that which was heard above, is strong and clear, despite the slight muffling of the scarf, and has a Middle European accent.

"Welcome," it says. "Your foppish companion entertained the foolish notion that I would loose this other bride. What, after I went to such effort to secure one of true purity? Those others, shameless ones who proved unworthy of preservation; I had to exsanguinate them with this primitive tool, decontaminate their foul flesh with ordinary chemicals, and toss them back into the fallen world above. Ah, but this one is fully deserving; as, no doubt, you are, as you as wise enough to have come here on your own. I presume you are unsullied by the touch of man."

He gestures with the razor-free hand to a small table not far away. Upon it lies a white mini-dress, sparkling with sequins, of modern design.

"If you would be so kind as to change into your bridal gown, we shall begin. I shall, of course, avert my eyes."

With that, he turns away.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:35 am
by SunlessNick

While he's looking away, Zara takes the chance to place the radio transmitter somewhere not obviously visible, so she doesn't have to keep hiding it on her person. She moves in the direction of the white dress, so he will hear her voice from where he expects. "How long have you been doing this? " She contemplates rushing him with the knife, but doesn't rate her chances - she'll slowly change into the dress, while trying to keep him talking - "How do you even survive down here?"

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:15 am
by jp1885

Tony listens through Liz's cleverly constructed receiver as he helps tend to her wounds - foppish indeed!

His mind races. So the bodies that had been found were essentially rejects, not considered 'pure' enough. But for those who made the grade, they were obviously destined to spend their days as perfectly preserved works of art, no doubt displayed in the same tanks as the poor unfortunates in front of them.

What to do?

The white liquid, the embalming fluid, the blood... They all have to be stored somewhere... There must be storage tanks nearby, which surely means pipes, valves and wotnot. If they could be found and tampered with, then perhaps the fiendish process could be stopped...?

Similarly the hidden speaker discovered by Lew and the mechanism that controlled the secret elevator door - that means cables, power supplies, generators and control equipment. If these could be located...

Could the tanks in which the women are displayed be broken? The glass looked thick, but if weakened and given a good thump... No doubt it would risk the ire of the weird liquid creature, but it would delay the Embalmer's nefarious scheme... He fingers the pin which kept his cravat in place, running his thumb along the sharp surface of the diamond head. It wouldn't be the first time he'd used it to cut glass....

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz whispers to Tony so that the Embalmer cannot overhear. "We've got to get down there somehow. He'll see if we use the shaft, but maybe there's another way."

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:40 am
by Starspawn338
Lew squeezes his way through the bars and takes out his handkerchief to wipe the sweat off his head and neck. Just being out of that cage makes him breathe easier.
"The secret isn't inside the trapped room. There's got to be another way down." He mutters to himself.
OOC,Wis 10 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
While he's looking away, Zara takes the chance to place the radio transmitter somewhere not obviously visible, so she doesn't have to keep hiding it on her person. She moves in the direction of the white dress, so he will hear her voice from where he expects. "How long have you been doing this? "
"Oh, quite a while indeed. I am pleased you take an interest in my work. I must confess that many of my early experiments failed completely. I was never able to successfully duplicate the work of that young Swiss student. Then there was that unpleasant business in Whitechapel. Well, no matter. All water under the bridge, as they say."
She contemplates rushing him with the knife, but doesn't rate her chances - she'll slowly change into the dress, while trying to keep him talking - "How do you even survive down here?"
With a chuckle, he replies "By hook and by crook, my curious little cat. Are you quite ready yet?"

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony listens through Liz's cleverly constructed receiver as he helps tend to her wounds - foppish indeed!

His mind races. So the bodies that had been found were essentially rejects, not considered 'pure' enough. But for those who made the grade, they were obviously destined to spend their days as perfectly preserved works of art, no doubt displayed in the same tanks as the poor unfortunates in front of them.

What to do?

The white liquid, the embalming fluid, the blood... They all have to be stored somewhere... There must be storage tanks nearby, which surely means pipes, valves and wotnot. If they could be found and tampered with, then perhaps the fiendish process could be stopped...?

Similarly the hidden speaker discovered by Lew and the mechanism that controlled the secret elevator door - that means cables, power supplies, generators and control equipment. If these could be located...
Spoiler:
wis = 11[dice]0[/dice]
A thorough search reveals a secluded part of the wall, behind which one can hear the whirring of machinery when one places an ear upon it. There is no obvious way to gain access to what lies behind it.
Could the tanks in which the women are displayed be broken? The glass looked thick, but if weakened and given a good thump... No doubt it would risk the ire of the weird liquid creature, but it would delay the Embalmer's nefarious scheme... He fingers the pin which kept his cravat in place, running his thumb along the sharp surface of the diamond head. It wouldn't be the first time he'd used it to cut glass....
Experiment shows that the glass can indeed be cut with diamond. It is, however, quite thick, and breaking through would require intense labor for some hours.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Starspawn338 wrote: Lew squeezes his way through the bars and takes out his handkerchief to wipe the sweat off his head and neck. Just being out of that cage makes him breathe easier.
"The secret isn't inside the trapped room. There's got to be another way down." He mutters to himself.
OOC,Wis 10 [dice]219339:0[/dice]
Just outside the room Lew finds a door, disguised as part of the wall. As luck would have it, it opens easily. Within is a set of stairs, leading down into darkness. Perhaps they are intended as emergency access in case of power failure. In any case, judging by the sound of the rapidly descending elevator which took Zara away, it would be a very long walk down to the level where she now stands, if indeed the stairs reach that far.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 am
by jp1885

Abandoning the idea of cutting the glass (for now at least), Tony listens again to the whirring sound behind the wall. Locating the precise spot, he hits it hard with his stick.

If nothing else, perhaps the vibration will set the mechanism off-kilter.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:With a chuckle, he replies "By hook and by crook, my curious little cat. Are you quite ready yet?"

Zara swallows at the implication that she is in the room with Jack the Ripper, but answers "I'm sorry, it isn't easy taking a wetsuit off." But fearing that she's running out of time to stall, she finishes and puts the minidress on, keeping the penknife hidden in her hand. "Will- will it hurt?"
VictoriaSilverwolf,I assume his line about "unsullied by the touch of man" means virgin. Zara isn't, though she's not about to volunteer that.
VictoriaSilverwolf,If it gets to the point where he's injecting her with the same machines as Moonflower, Zara's nerve will break - she'll try to stab him and run - if he catches or overpowers her, she will start screaming for help, both from the other characters and her dark patron.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz follows Lew outside and sees the stairway. "That'll do nicely," she says quietly. "It's like in deep stations in the London Tube. There are lifts going all the way down, but they have stairways too in case of emergencies. We've got to get down there to save Zara, but I doubt I can manage all those stairs in my condition."

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:12 am
by jp1885

Tony stops hitting the wall once he realises that a more suitable avenue of exploration has been found.

"Perhaps Bill could escort you out Liz, then you can get medical attention and alert the authorities." He scribbles a phone number on a piece of paper. "If all else fails, ring this number and ask for 'Auntie'. That'll put you through to a chum of mine in British Intelligence."

He grins at Lew and Agent Carson.

"There is a damsel in distress to rescue gentlemen, so let us away! I don't fancy the elevator - shall we take the stairs?"

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:19 am
by Rooter

"This is nuts," Carson mutters but heads down the revealed steps with pistol drawn as fast as he can.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Liz. "Good luck, chaps." She lets Bill help her back to the surface.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:27 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When Bill helps the badly injured Liz outside, they see that there's quite a commotion going on. Several police cars, ambulances,and fire engines, with lights blaring, are parked outside the ballroom, which shows signs of having recently been ablaze. It seems to be under control now, judging by the water everywhere and the absence of flames, although there's plenty of smoke. Police and firefighters are talking to a group of men in dark suits and sunglasses, apparently with some animosity. As soon as one of the ambulance crew spot the newcomers, she rushes over and begins first aid treatment, preparing to take Liz into the vehicle. More to Bill than Liz, she ask "What happened? These aren't fire injuries."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The flight of stairs in long, dark, and slippery. It will take quite some time to reach what must be the lowest level.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]

Zara and the Embalmer will have four more "actions" before you reach her.
Spoiler:
carson dex = 9 + 1 danger bonus = 10[dice]1[/dice]

Lew dex = 9[dice]2[/dice]

Tony dex = 13 (due to injury) + 1 danger bonus = 14[dice]3[/dice]
Due to the treacherous, rough, slimy surface of the stairs, both Carson and Lew slip during the descent and are slightly injured.
Spoiler:
Take one hit point and reduce dex by one point until out of this place.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara swallows at the implication that she is in the room with Jack the Ripper, but answers "I'm sorry, it isn't easy taking a wetsuit off." But fearing that she's running out of time to stall, she finishes and puts the minidress on, keeping the penknife hidden in her hand. "Will- will it hurt?"
"Not at all." From one of the many deep pockets of his heavy jacket he pulls out what looks like a small perfume bottle, filled with a white liquid. "If you will please ingest this, all sensation will be dulled. Then, after a brief test for purity -- a mere formality in your case, to be sure -- we shall begin."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 pm
by jp1885

Tony helps his companions up.

"On your feet chaps, time is of the essence. As much as I detest firearms, I suggest you fill the Embalmer full of lead the moment we clap eyes on him. I'll try to free the girls in the meantime."

As he presses on, stick at the ready, he hopes that they're not too late. 'Hang in there Zara...'

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It was the Embalmer," says Liz. "He's still got my friend down there." She gives directions to get to the stairway leading into his secret lair.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:42 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Not at all." From one of the many deep pockets of his heavy jacket he pulls out what looks like a small perfume bottle, filled with a white liquid. "If you will please ingest this, all sensation will be dulled. Then, after a brief test for purity -- a mere formality in your case, to be sure -- we shall begin."

"What if someone finds me?" Zara asks. "Undoes what you're giving me," she adds, hoping he will interpret her desperation as fear of losing his "gift." (And hoping it might provide a clue as to whether the women above can be saved).

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:26 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some time reporting the situation to the authorities (who are also busy with the aftermath of the fire, and more concerned with treating Liz for her injuries than anything else), a pair of cops are sent to investigate.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
They will arrive two "actions" after the other investigators arrive.
As Bill and Liz head off to the local emergency room in a wailing ambulance, no doubt they'll be listening closely to the transmitter for news of what's happening below . . .

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:33 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:"What if someone finds me?" Zara asks. "Undoes what you're giving me," she adds, hoping he will interpret her desperation as fear of losing his "gift." (And hoping it might provide a clue as to whether the women above can be saved).
"Not to worry. The transformation is permanent. Now, drink. I admit that the taste will be somewhat bitter, but that will soon be all over. Meanwhile, I will prepare for the test."

Procuring a leather strap from another pocket -- who knows what else might be contained therein? -- he begins to strop the straight razor.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:13 pm
by jp1885

Tony continues to race down the stairs, hoping against hope that he and his chums will make it in time.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:50 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara takes the mixture and pretends to drink it, trying to pour it aside without him seeing while his attention is on the razor.
OOC:   Dexterity = 13
Rolled: 11  
She thinks to pour it onto the wetsuit, which is already wet from the sewer.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz listens on the transmitter, hoping and praying that her friends will get there in time.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Now you are unable to feel any pain," the Embalmer explains. "As the sight of the examination for purity may possibly seem unsettling, however, I suggest that you close your eyes while I make the incision. Please extend your arm."

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:14 am
by SunlessNick

Zara extends her arm, visibly trembling. She tries to keep any sign of pain off of her face.
OOC:   Charisma = 13, Constitution = 8, don't know which applies.
Rolled: 18, failure either way.  
She lets out an exclamation of pain as he cuts her. The jig being up, she tries to stab him with the penknife.
OOC:   Dexterity = 13, -1 injury/pain.
Rolled: 3, success.  

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]minus one for wearing heavy leather everywhere.
The penknife goes into the Embalmer's flesh, penetrating his leather clothing. White fluid spills from his body. Injured but not incapacitated, he slashes out with his razor, screaming with rage.
Spoiler:
dex = 9 - 1 = 8[dice]1[/dice]
Although his aim is not perfect, he manages to cut Zara with the blood-stained blade.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
The wound is more than superficial, but not yet as serious as it might be.

As he prepares to strike again, the sound of rapid footsteps are heard from where the secret staircase is located.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:49 am
by SunlessNick
OOC:   Dexterity = 13, -1 pain/injury.
Rolled: 20  
Zara loses her grip on her knife and staggers back away from the Embalmer. At the sound of the footsteps, she screams "I'm here! Help me!"

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 am
by jp1885

Spurred on by Zara's screams, Tony races on, following the sound.

"Remember, shoot first chaps!"

If he gets to the chamber in time, he will attempt to get between the Embalmer and Zara, trusting his friends to shoot the fiend.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz winces when she hears Zara scream. Please, save her... she thinks, wishing she could do something to help.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Tony's DEX currently 13 + 1 for Danger = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Tony is able to block the Embalmer from approaching Zara, but the villain makes an attempt of his own to move quickly away.
Spoiler:
DEX currently 8[dice]1[/dice]
It seems that he is trying to reach Moonflower, but his injury slows him down.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:01 am
by Rooter

"Hold it, mister!" Carson raises his pistol and fires at the Embalmer.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 am
by jp1885

"Zara, get out of here!"

Tony will try to reach Moonflower before the Embalmer.
If the fiend is incapacitated by the shots, he will attempt to reverse the embalming process, calling Liz for assistance over the tracker if need be.
The the fiend is still active however, he will use his Bartitsu skills to strike him with his stick.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:05 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara takes the opportunity to back up against one of the walls, but she doesn't try to flee the room.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:28 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew moves as quickly as he can, knowing every second is crucial. As he enters the room, he aims his pistol and shoots at the Embalmer without wasting time with words.
OOC,Dexterity 8 (with injury) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Carson's DEX = 9 + 1 Danger Bonus but -1 for the injury = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Two shots fill the chambers with ear-splitting echoes. Carson's aim is true.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]-1 for heavy leather
The bullet strikes the Embalmer in his chest. He collapses to the ground, unmoving.

Lew's shot misses and ricochets off the stone wall.
Spoiler:
1-15 the bullet hits nothing; 16-20 I'll have something interesting happen.[dice]2[/dice]
Fortunately it strikes another wall, causing no harm to anyone present.

Tony is able to reach Moonflower safely. The young woman's breathing is noticeably slower and shallower, her skin paler.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:21 am
by SunlessNick

Zara slides down the wall into a sitting crouch, shaking as her adrenaline begins to drain - though she doesn't take her eyes off the Embalmer. "Is Moonflower ok?" she asks Tony. Then, "Is Liz ok?"

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:11 am
by jp1885

"Quick, someone tie him up!"

Crouching at Moonflower's side, Tony frantically studies her predicament, trying to work out how to disconnect the girl from the Embalmer's equipment without harming her.

He describes what he sees to Liz, hoping that the tracker has a two-way channel.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 am
by Rooter

Carson checks the Embalmer's body.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz considers, thinking of the safest way to free Moonflower and undo whatever the Embalmer has done to her.
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15) to figure out how to free [b]Moonflower[/b] and reverse the process: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
Carson checks the Embalmer's body.
At the first touch, the body inside the heavy leather collapses into itself, releasing at the same time an overpowering smell of corruption. This dissipates in a few moments, to be replaced by a musty scent. The clatter of dry bones is heard as the body further falls in upon itself. Eventually there is nothing to be found within the empty clothing but dry white powder.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz considers, thinking of the safest way to free Moonflower and undo whatever the Embalmer has done to her.
OOC,Intelligence roll (14 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 15) to figure out how to free [b]Moonflower[/b] and reverse the process: [dice]219717:0[/dice]
After a great deal of back-and-forth conversation over the two-way radio transmitter, frequently broken up by static, certain facts become obvious.

Moonflower has lost a great deal of blood. That which has been collected in the bottle beneath the table upon which she lies has coagulated, to the point where it would be useless to attempt to transfuse it back into her. So much blood has been removed from her body, in fact, that it seems as if the slow infusion of the white liquid is the only thing keeping her alive, if only in a comatose state. It would seem nearly impossible to safely move her.

A desperate plan suggests itself. Looking at the equipment available, it seems as if it would be possible to obtain blood from someone present in the room, and attempt a transfusion, allowing the white liquid to be stopped. There are, of course, serious risks to the recipient, as time does not allow for checking blood types for compatibility. The donors, or donors, will also be weakened by the procedure.

A grim reality faces the investigators. The greater the number of blood donors, the less weakened each will be. However, more donors also means more risk to Moonflower.
Spoiler:
If anyone volunteers to donate blood, I will randomly determine the blood type of Moonflower and the donor(s), based on statistics.
O-positive: 38 percent
O-negative: 7 percent
A-positive: 34 percent
A-negative: 6 percent
B-positive: 9 percent
B-negative: 2 percent
AB-positive: 3 percent
AB-negative: 1 percent
Meanwhile, the two cops have arrived, pistols drawn.

"Drop the weapons! What the hell is going on here?"

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's dangerous to try a transfusion with unknown blood types," Liz says over the radio. "I can walk you through how to quickly test someone's blood if the right equipment is there. If it's not in his lair, we can probably do it with what's in the ambulance."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:51 am
by SunlessNick

"It was the Embalmer. He had us," Zara says to the cops, glossing over the truth a bit. "These guys saved us."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:16 am
by jp1885

As Zara deals with the policemen, it is naturally Tony who steps up to the plate(let).

"I'll donate my blood if I'm a match. While I'm being plumbed in, perhaps this place could be searched for clues as to who the Embalmer actually was - maybe take some of that powder for analysis too."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"The Embalmer, huh?" The other cop takes a look at the pile of leather clothing. "All I see is a bunch of white powder, and I don't think it's Ajax. You folks know what the penalty is for possession of cocaine?"

"Yeah," the other says. "Better get some ID on the suspects, O'Malley, and run 'em in. Meanwhile, I'll call for an ambulance. Don't know how we're gonna get this poor girl out of here alive." He reaches for his two-way radio.

While the cops disarm all present, and take statements from them (not without some obvious skepticism), a couple of medics make their way down the stairs. After examining Moonflower, they confirm her condition.

"She needs a transfusion STAT, and we can't move her without risking her life. I've got a quick bloodtyping kit here, and it looks like we could use some of this equipment to rig something up."

"I don't like it," the other remarks to her companion. "Risky."

"Yeah, but we've got no choice."
Spoiler:
1-38 = O+; 39-45 = O-; 46-79 = A+; 80-85 = A-; 86-94 = B+; 95-96 = B-; 97-99 = AB+; 100 = AB-[dice]0[/dice]
"She's got O positive," the first medic announces after the test results are available. "Since you're ready to volunteer, let's check you out," he says to Tony.

The cops are leery about the whole situation, but let the medics proceed.
Spoiler:
same percentages[dice]1[/dice]
"B Positive. Sorry, mister. I appreciate the effort, but your blood might kill her. Too bad it's not the other way around. She's what we call the universal donor. Anybody else want to try?"

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"O-negative is the universal donor," says Liz over the radio, rolling her eyes at the medic's mistake, but relieved that at least it wouldn't have gotten Moonflower killed as a result. "She's O-positive, so she can safely receive any blood that's type O, whether it's positive or negative, but nothing else."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:00 pm
by jp1885

Tony kicks himself - damn this aristocratic blood! He joins Zara.

"I'm sorry my dear, I've practically been ignoring you. How are you? You handled yourself marvellously." He raises his voice slightly. "I hope these two policemen haven't been hassling you - cocaine indeed! Maybe they'd like to have their blood type tested, hm?"

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:24 pm
by SunlessNick

"You can try mine," Zara says to the medics. "I've got some handy," she adds with a slightly hysterical laugh.

To Tony, she says, "I was sure he was going to kill me. Thankyou for coming after me." A little louder, "Thank all of you." Quiter again, "Where's Liz. Is she ok?"

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After explanations of Liz's injuries and current whereabouts are offered, Zara's blood is tested.

"What is this," one cop murmurs to the other, "some freak hippie blood cult? If these two medics weren't here . . ."

"Come on," he says, more loudly, "we ain't got all day."
Spoiler:
same as before[dice]0[/dice]
"A+," one of the medics says, a little chagrined by his previous error in calling Moonflower a universal donor. Obviously he forgot about the Rh factor. "Sorry, that won't work either. Anybody else?"

It's obvious that the medics will both be busy operating the transfusion equipment, so can't be spared. Neither one of the cops is willing to stop pointing his pistols at the adventurers; they're still pretty suspicious about the whole thing.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:57 am
by Rooter

Carson sighs and volunteers.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am
by jp1885

While Carson's blood is being tested, Tony approaches the two cops.

"Put those dreadful guns down please. If we were, er, I believe the vernacular is 'smackheads', I hardly think we'd have built this elaborate set-up." He gestures around the chamber. "Radio your superiors and mention dear Agent Carson over there - yes, 'Agent' Carson, of the CIA. Now if you'll excuse me..."

Nodding curtly, he saunters off to search the place for clues, hoping that the cops don't shoot him first.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:09 pm
by SunlessNick

The cops' hostile words leave Zara feeling self-conscious about the minidress she's wearing. She retreats back to her spot by the wall and tries to curl up small.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 pm
by Starspawn338
"What kind of man would I be if I didn't volunteer to give up my blood to save a girl." Lew says as he offers up his arm.
OOC,[dice]0[/dice]
"I believe I'm a universal donor."

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Roll for Carson:[dice]0[/dice]
"Another A+," the medic remarks after sampling Carson's blood.

Fortunately, Lew is the perfect donor. As the cops look on, ignoring Tony's suggestion that they put away their firearms with a sneer, the medics proceed to set up the transfusion. (It's a lucky break that these officers have worked with these medics before, and trust them, or they might not have let them go on with the procedure.)

After a while, Moonflower, although still weak and disoriented, is conscious enough to be transported, with great care, back up the stairs by the two medics.

"Now that we've got the lady stable," one cop says, "what's the real story here?"

Before anyone can answer, a very loud sound erupts from above the chamber. It sounds as if water, or some such substance, is rushing at a tremendous rate.

"We better get out of here," the other cop says. "Could be a flood coming. Sewer line broken or something. We're gonna have to run these folks in anyway, so let's move."

"OK, people," the other says. "Up the stairs, nice and slow. No tricks! We'll be right behind you."

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:31 am
by SunlessNick

Zara grabs the wetsuit and boots before leaving the room - she has no intention of going back into the sewage in bare legs and feet.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:47 am
by jp1885

Tony's immediate thought is that of the white liquid thing that attacked them in the 'viewing chamber' or the fluid in which those poor women in the tanks were preserved. He has no wish to come into contact with either of them, so obeys the cops' commands without argument.

Should a suitable container be at hand, he will use the distraction to scoop up some of the white dust for later analysis first.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:03 am
by Rooter

"There's an elevator," Carson points out. "That might be quicker."

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:34 pm
by SunlessNick

"Only a couple of us could fit in it," Zara says.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:32 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew will head up the stairs, although slowed by age and his recent donation of blood.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 am
by Rooter

Carson nods in reply to Zara and follows the others up the stairs.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:01 am
by jp1885

If Zara doesn't need assistance (ladies first), Tony will help Lew up the stairs.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Seeing that the suspects (as they think of them) are being co-operative, and have done the best they could to aid the medics in their work, the cops relax a little.

"O'Malley," says the one who is apparently in charge, "you take the elevator. I'll head up the stairs with these folks. That way nobody can pull a fast one and make a break for it."

"Right." O'Malley does as he is told, as the others head up the stairs. The other cop pauses long enough to gather some evidence, while keeping an eye (and a pistol) on the investigators. Since nobody can watch everything at once, Tony has a chance to gather a sample of the powder.

By the time the people climbing the stairs are almost up to the chamber from which they descended, they hear sounds as of several people sloshing through liquid, then inarticulate sounds coming from a man, as of someone too startled to speak clearly, then several pistol shots, then a man screaming.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, Moonflower has been rushed to the same hospital where Liz has been treated. Both women are stabilized and, as luck would have it, are in the same emergency room holding area. The ER is particularly busy, with extra staff being called in and patients going through triage to determine how critical it is to treat them in a timely manner. From the excited conversations of physicians, nurses, and other professionals, it seems that there has been a rash of severe burn cases from all over the city.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Why are so many people suffering from burns?" Liz asks the next member of the staff who comes into her room.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:38 am
by SunlessNick

"That liquid!" Zara exclaims. "It must have attacked the other cop!" She frantically pulls the wetsuit on over the minidress before she has to step out into the sewer itself.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 am
by jp1885

"I think you're right Zara - we must help the poor chap."

Tony turns to the other policeman.

"Officer, your colleague is under attack from forces none of us can yet understand, but nonetheless we must rush to his aid!

As Tony follows the screaming (presumably to the 'display chamber'), he looks for a plank or large piece of wood that he could possibly use to bridge the evil liquid.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Why are so many people suffering from burns?" Liz asks the next member of the staff who comes into her room.
"Damned if I know," says a nurse's aide who checks the vital signs of the two patients. "They're coming in from all over the place. You two are stable, so I've got to get back to the other patients. Try to hang in there."

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the investigators rush into the room, they see O'Malley surrounded by three animated skeletons in monk's robes, clawing at his flesh with their razor-sharp finger bones. Even as this is going on, the fourth, which was previously reduced to an jumbled pile of bones, absorbs the white liquid like a sponge, then reforms into its previous, seemingly living form. O'Malley fires wildly until his pistol is empty, shattering the skull of one of his attackers, which collapses lifeless. In a moment, however, it also sucks in the white liquid, which covers the entire floor, and begins to resurrect. From the way in which O'Malley's shoes and the cuffs of his trousers are covered with the liquid, it apparently has no effect on the living; a small blessing, to be sure. The other policeman stands frozen, eyes wide open in shock.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Do I still have my radio?

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Do I still have my radio?
Spoiler:
It would be among your personal effects, stored within reach.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz gets her radio and turns it on, then speaks into it: "We're in the hospital, and we're going to be all right. How are you doing?"

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 am
by jp1885

Tony is momentarily startled by the cop's predicament, but when Liz's voice crackles out of the receiver, he comes to his senses.

"The liquid creatures are animating those skeletons and attacking a police officer - I'm going in to assist! Do you still have my hipflask? If so, try to find out what attacks the liquid!."

He turns to his companions.

"We need to break down those skeletons enough to pull the officer out of there - c'mon!"

Without further ado, he readies his stick and leaps into the fray, trying to smash the cadavers with his Bartitsu skills.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 am
by Rooter

Carson shakes the other policeman. "Give me back my roscoe and go get reinforcements. Move it, buddy!"

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:08 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew will use his cane to try to smash one of the skeletons holding the officer.
OOC,Dexterity 9 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:45 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara calls out of the besieged officer, trying to shake him out of his panic and start toward the exit.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Tony's attack on a skeleton: Dex currently 13 + 3 for the asset of Bartitsu + 1 Danger Bonus = 17[dice]0[/dice]
Perhaps because Tony and Lew both strike at the creatures at the same time, getting in each other's way, their blows fail to connect. The failed attacks have, however, drawn the attention of the things, who turn away from the badly wounded officer, who falls to the ground, and move toward those who attempted to strike them. A low, hollow, hissing sound comes from the fleshless jaws of one of them.

"Zzzzoon you be as uzzzz."
Spoiler:
Carson's attempt to snap the other cop out of it: CHA = 9[dice]1[/dice]
There seems to be some awareness of somebody trying to get his attention, but the other cop still fails to respond to Carson's desperate pleas. Zara does what she can to help.
Spoiler:
CHA = 13; I don't think the Asset of Beautiful would really apply here.[dice]2[/dice]
Unfortunately, to no avail. He remains in a state of shock, holding his pistol in a death grip but not firing it.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've still got the flask, but I never managed to trap any of the liquid in it," starts Liz. Then she hears the commotion on the other end of the line and tries to get the attention of one of the hospital staff so she can warn the police that there's trouble back at the park.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:11 am
by SunlessNick

Abandoning the shocked cop for a moment, Zara says to Carson, "Get everyone out - maybe they can't follow." Mustering her own nerve, she rushes into the room to the injured cop, trying to help him to stand.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:44 am
by jp1885

Tony steps back, hoping to draw the creatures further away from Zara and the stricken cop. Raising his stick defensively, he addresses the monsters.

"What do you mean? What are you?"

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Abandoning the shocked cop for a moment, Zara says to Carson, "Get everyone out - maybe they can't follow." Mustering her own nerve, she rushes into the room to the injured cop, trying to help him to stand.
Spoiler:
Seeing how badly he was hurt by the attack:[dice]0[/dice]
O'Malley is bleeding from a long scratch on his face, but is able to stand with Zara's help.

"I'm getting the hell out of here," he mutters. As good as his word, he makes a mad dash for the exit.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"What do you mean? What are you?"
The nearest creature makes no answer, but merely hisses like a serpent and strikes out with its claw-like finger bones.
Spoiler:
Using the stick for defense rather than attack will be treated as a Block attempt. DEX currently 13 + 1 Danger Bonus + 3 for Bartitsu = 17[dice]0[/dice]

Successful Blocking provides Cover; wooden objects reduce the attacker's DEX by 1 for every 10% of the body covered. The stick being long but thin, I'll call it 50% cover, reducing the attacker's DEX by 5. The creatures have the characteristics of Animated Skeletons. DEX = 10 - 5 = 5[dice]1[/dice]
The creature's fingers break off as it strikes the cane, falling to the floor with a clatter. As if attracted by them, some of the white liquid flows towards the bones.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:10 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I'm getting the hell out of here," he mutters. As good as his word, he makes a mad dash for the exit.

Zara heads the same way, sharpish. At the doorway she looks back to see if Tony and Lew (and Carson if he entered the room too) are following.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:24 am
by jp1885

Seeing as the creatures are disinclined to talk, Tony will back away towards the door, keeping them at bay while the others make thier escape. If the opportunity presents itself, he will strike out in an attempt to shatter one of them.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:30 pm
by Rooter

Carson follows the retreat, pushing the other cop along.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The creatures being somewhat slower than living human beings, their intended victims are easily able to escape them. It's obvious, however, they continue to follow, their number now restored to four, as the white liquid, which continues to flow out of the trap door, appears to maintain their unnatural existence even after they are seemingly destroyed.

With escape foremost on their minds, the investigators and the two cops run out, or are dragged out, until they escape from the labyrinth of artificial caverns, and emerge into daylight. They may, perhaps, be reminded of the old phrase about the frying pan and the fire. . . .
Spoiler:
Hang on to your headphones, cats and kitties! Here comes the smash hit from the Doors!