Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Track Six: Up, Up and Away

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

After several hours of singing and dancing and contests of strength performed by the Russians, who are in high spirits, glad to be released from their underground station, and sharing a flask which does not appear to contain water, everyone is ready for a good night's sleep. There being no apparent reason to set a watch -- at least, no one in the party seems to have discussed such a precaution -- the fire is doused and darkness surrounds the motley group of campers. Far from the lights of the city, the stars are beyond number, the Milky Way a glowing river in the sky. Despite the primitive accommodations, sleep comes quickly for all.

It is not easy to determine how long it is before peaceful slumber is interrupted by what sounds like the screams of a woman being murdered. Dawn is still far away, so only starlight illuminates this secluded part of the wilderness, and the source of the screams is not immediately evident.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

When Zara mentions the sleeping arrangements, she adds. "I'd thought the two of us would share a tent. Are you and Lew...? I had no idea."
"I just figured you and Tony might... No I'm good sharing with you," Zara says in an embarrassed fluster.

When the screams sound, she pokes her head out of the tent, trying to discern the direction.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

At the sound of the screaming, Tony clambers out of his tent (how reluctantly he does so depends on who he ended up sharing with). Flashlight in hand, he sweeps over the surrounding area to try and discover what gives.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz has elected to share a tent with Zara. While it may seem old-fashioned in this modern age, she is saving herself for marriage. It's not that she isn't tempted, and she does like Tony. She will flirt shamelessly, but there's a line she won't cross. She wants to be sure that Tony is serious about her before she takes that step. When the scream awakens her, she is thus quickly able to verify that it did not come from Zara. Slipping her mace into one hand and with her electric torch in the other, she too rushes to the tent flap and peers out into the night.
OOC,Wisdom roll (10 + 3[Sharp Eyes] = 13) searching for the source of the scream: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew wakes up with a start at the sound of the scream.
"What the devil is going on?" He says as he stumbles out of the tent.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Glittering in the light from Liz's torch are two golden yellow orbs, soon revealed to be the eyes of a mountain lion, crouching on a rise near the camping adventurers. Because these animals are known to be extremely wary of humans, and are hardly ever seen by them, it is likely that it is sick or injured. For whatever reason, it shows no fear of humanity and, instead, makes a mighty leap from its perch at the party, as if they were its natural prey. As many have noted in the past, its cry sounds much like a screaming woman.
Spoiler:
Target: 1 or 2 = Russian, 3 = Liz, 4 = Zara, 5 = Lew, 6 = Tony[dice]0[/dice]
To her horror, the mountain lion launches itself at Zara.
Spoiler:
DEX = 15[dice]1[/dice]

Damage:[dice]2[/dice]
It knocks the unfortunate young woman to the ground and cuts her arm badly with its claws, standing over her, its hot breath in her face, ready to feed.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Back damn you, back!”

Tony leaps to Zara’s aid, striking the beast with his stick.
DEX 14 +3 Bartitsu,[dice]0[/dice]
Alas, being still half-asleep, his stick swishes harmlessly past the lion.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara screams and tries to scrabble out from under the lion.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz tries to spray the mountain lion in the face with her mace, but it moves too fast for her. "HELP!" she screams, hoping the Russians will come to their aid, as they're the only ones with actual weapons.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) spraying the mountain lion with mace: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

While he doesn't have a weapon, Lew will move towards the mountain lion and shout loudly and wave his arms, trying to scare the beast.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Starspawn338 wrote: While he doesn't have a weapon, Lew will move towards the mountain lion and shout loudly and wave his arms, trying to scare the beast.
Spoiler:
We'll make this a battle of Charisma. Lew = 11, the mountain lion = 7 [dice]0[/dice]
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Starspawn338 wrote: While he doesn't have a weapon, Lew will move towards the mountain lion and shout loudly and wave his arms, trying to scare the beast.
Spoiler:
We'll make this a battle of Charisma. Lew = 11, the mountain lion = 7 [dice]230359:0[/dice]
Startled by the unexpected sound and sight of an aggressive human, the big cat retreats from its intended meal, disappearing into the night.

Trained in first aid to be used in combat situations, the Russians are able to stop Zara's bleeding and provide her with morphine tablets to ease the pain. After several hours of rest, she is in a weak condition, but stable. The Russians insist that the investigators complete their mission before contacting headquarters for rescue, unwilling to face their commander's possible wrath at any further delay. With assistance from the others, Zara is able to keep up, although the hike to Lake Elsinore proceeds at a slower pace. The party reaches the body of water just as the sun sets behind them, painting the lake the color of blood.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony stops flailing around with his stick when Lew scares off the beast.

“I say, jolly well done that man!”

Once the dust has settled and they proceed to the lake, he offers his assistance to the injured Zara.

“I think, perhaps, the honour of throwing the good captain’s remains into the lake should go to you my dear.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara shakily thanks everyone for saving her.
jp1885 wrote:“I think, perhaps, the honour of throwing the good captain’s remains into the lake should go to you my dear.”
"I'd rather see it go further... but I am the one who owes him."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Any time, Zara," says Liz. "I'm just glad you're going to be all right. Let's go, then, and put the captain to rest."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Lew will walk to the water's edge with the others to see the spirit off.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The investigators discover that Lake Elsinore is quite an extensive body of water; in fact, the largest natural freshwater lake in Southern California, with an area of about three thousand acres. It seems likely that, in order to put the spirit of William Palliser to rest, it will be necessary to ensure that his remains do not make their way to the shore during one of the region's frequent droughts.

Evidently the Russians were prepared for movement on water as well as land, for one of them has an inflatable raft among the equipment in his large and heavy backpack. Once inflated, this proves to be large enough -- barely! -- to hold two persons and a single small oar. A primitive sort of boat, but it should prove sufficient to reach the middle of the lake and back.

Zara having been granted the honor, if that's the right word, of conveying all that is left of the old soldier to a watery grave, it only remains for her to decide who should be in charge of working the oar.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

If no one else volunteers to pilot the dinghy, Tony will step forward, having rowed a little during his time in the military. He does however wonder if one of the Russians might like to take the oars; thus separating the pair, which might prove advantageous.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara's thoughts aren't quite the same as Tony's, but she's not keen on leaving Liz and Lew alone with both Russians - so she'll act as if she assumes that the dude who was carrying the raft will insist on piloting it. Once over deep enough water, she'll say "You did help me and Tony, so thanks for that. And I hope this helps you back. But I hope this is the last we see of each other."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Farewell, Captain Palliser," says Liz to the skull. "May you rest in peace." She turns to Tony. "Given his reputation, I'm surprised he didn't flirt with me and Zara more. I suppose death changes one's priorities."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”