Romantic Horror in the 1960s

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Track Three: A Whiter Shade of Pale

Post by Rooter »

"Damn that is weird." Carson kneels and quickly uses an evidence bag to collect a sample of the milk-like substance for analysis.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Positively far-out - whatever that was, I'm not certain it was Human..."

Tony's ears prick up at the sound of sirens.

"If anyone doesn't want to be questioned by the cops again, perhaps now's a good time to make yourselves scarce. I'll stay here and examine the canal; after all there's no body, no blood, in the accurate sense, so the worse they can throw at us is discharge of a firearm."

He peers into the canal, thoughts of divers and wetsuits running through his mind.

When was the last time I went diving? That delightful fortnight in Barbados wasn't it? I think I might have to have another go today...
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"I don't think he is either," Zara agrees with Tony, looking at the mess on the ground. "No, I don't want to talk to the cops again. But will you be all right?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Bloody hell!" exclaims Liz, looking with interest at the "blood" and smiling at Jack. "Thank you. If he's not human, what is he? An alien? An android? A vampire? Although I've never heard of a vampire that bleeds milk. Well, maybe not exactly milk. I'll know more about it once I can get it to a lab and analyse it. I'll stay here and talk to the police too. I am, after all, the intended victim. I doubt the same trick will work twice, but he may yet come after me again. He did for Moonflower."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"My God, what was that?" Lew says as he examines the milky blood on the ground. Then at the sound of the sirens, "Bloody hell. They are never around when you need them but they come running when it's most inconvenient. I guess it's time to go. Where shall we meet?"
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"My place if the Sospiri is too hot," offers Zara.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

As those who prefer not to remain make their way to Zara's place, those who are ready to face the cops prepare to be questioned. Seeing the ripped net, the police assume that the Embalmer -- a name known to the public at large now, thanks to the irresponsibility of the tabloid that leaked the info -- tried to capture another victim with it. The single pistol shot can be explained as self defense. They dismiss what little remains of the white substance as just litter.

"OK, folks. No harm done, but I don't want to see you people anywhere near the canals from now on. Capeesh?"

Once everyone is back together, after some well-deserved rest, the lab report comes back on the white stuff. As best as can be told, it's human blood, mixed with some kind of unknown anticoagulant that keeps it from completely solidifying. The hemoglobin has been completely removed from what can no longer be called the red blood cells. The white blood cells, on the other hand, have proliferated to an extraordinary degree, nearly completely replacing the plasma.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Curiouser and curiouser..."

Back at Zara's, Tony reads the analysis report and shakes his head.

"Well I must admit I'm stumped. Let us hope at least that this 'Embalmer' has retreated to lick his wounds, buying us a little time."

"This may sound foolish, but why don't I take a dive into the canal and see if I can find this chap's lair? I could wear the tracker so you can follow me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How does he even live without hemoglobin to carry oxygen to his cells?" wonders Liz aloud. "I'm reluctant to give up the tracker, in case he comes back for me, but we could go diving together, and I could keep wearing it. It's not a good idea to dive alone even when there isn't a crazed inhuman killer out there anyway."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"A capital idea Dr. North. I'll have my chauffeur bring some diving equipment and we can go for a dip ASAP."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

By this time, the latest attack by the Embalmer, and the resulting panic among the populace, has led to a special task force being assembled of police officers from the LAPD. They patrol the canals at all times. The local cops are free to keep an eye on the abandoned park and other routine matters. This raises the question of how the bold investigators wish to pursue their dangerous plan to enter the waters in search of their quarry.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony chuckles at Wandsworth's bemused expression as the chauffeur unloads the diving gear.

"Worry not old boy - just the Knight of Wands taking a young lady for a dip!"

He grins as the Rolls pulls away, relishing the adventure ahead despite the danger. However it swiftly fades at the sight of the police teams patrolling the canals.

Tony returns to Zara's, somewhat dejected.

"Hmm... I think the fine chaps of the LAPD may have put the kibosh on our plans somewhat. Perhaps this is a chance to pause for thought. What other clues do we have?"

He strokes his moustache absent-mindedly.

"These strange signals to Venus perhaps? Can we pin down the source? Is there a university, radio astronomer or some other boffin - no disrespect Dr. North - who could help us out?"

"Another thought: if our excursions are to be curtailed by the police, we need some new eyes and ears. Who's presence has been most ubiquitous in these parts? Why, those delightful motorcycle gangs. Perhaps we could approach once such bunch of reprobates with an eye to securing their services. Our very own Baker Street Irregulars if you will."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Didn't the policeman say the first girl bled to death?" Zara asks. "If he pulls them into the water, how does he keep them from drowning?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe he shares his oxygen with them to keep them alive," suggests Liz, "at least until he gets them to his lair. It's probably not far from where he strikes. If we could pinpoint all the locations where he struck on a map, we could see if there's a pattern, some central location that's close to all of them. Checking in with the boffins at UCLA is a good suggestion, and I'd be best suited for that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, located near Pasadena, is associated with the NASA Mariner 5 Venus probe, which is currently near its closest approach to the planet. Those who wish to accompany Doctor North should prepare themselves for a brief road trip through the smoggy, congested freeways of Los Angeles; about an hour's driving time inland.

In the meantime, things have quieted down a bit in Venice. No further attacks have been reported for several days. A map of the last known locations of previous victims reveals that all were located near parts of the canal not far from the ocean, where the waters discharge into a place near the deserted amusement park.

If anyone wishes to approach members of one or both of the two local cycle gangs -- the Damned Souls and the Dirty Saints -- each group has its own biker bar, located at different ends of the city, where they are known to hang out.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Tony thinks that Dirty Saints could be an apt description for himself and so decides to pay that particular gang a visit. (Also, if Carson's description of them was accurate, then they like to hang around the park).

He briefly considers disguising himself as a biker, but really cannot be doing with all that swastika nonsense and besides, leather and denim does chafe so. So instead he strolls casually and self-assuredly into their bar in his normal attire.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

After some apparent internal debate, Zara will ask to go with Liz.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

And, figuring the boffins at the JPL would be the ones to ask about these strange transmissions he's been ordered to investigate, Carson steels himself for the drive inland.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd be glad to have you both along," says Liz to Zara and Jack. "We can go in my Aston Martin. I'll make sure to keep the top up and the windows closed, and run the air conditioner."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After a nerve-wracking drive through Los Angeles traffic to the relatively peaceful vicinity of JPL, those who choose to visit the space facility pull up to a gate manned by an armed guard. "Help ya?" he says, hand ready on his pistol.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Those who choose to go with Tony to the hangout of the Dirty Saints find themselves greeted with raucous laughter.

"Well, well, well," says one of the gang. "Look at old Mister Fancy Pants I better make sure to stick my little pinkie out while I sip my tea," he continues, guzzling a beer.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”