Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: Track Two: The Rain, the Park & Other Things

Post by jp1885 »

"Capital. I'm sure we can rely on your discretion."

Tony leads the others to the boat, chivalrously offering assistance to Dr. North after he clambers in.

"Shall we take a little jaunt? I have a small runabout I keep for Cowes Week, so I'm not unfamiliar with boats if you don't mind me driving."

If Lew and Liz are in agreement, Tony will motor around to Fisherman's Cove, keeping a lookout for any likely spots to tie up.
Last edited by jp1885 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"You can call me Zara," Zara says to Jack, including Bill as well. "Looks sad like this," she remarks about the ride. She looks around for any doors into an enclosed space, figuring that if the killer is doing his work here, he must have some privacy to do what Tony described.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Shall we take a little jaunt? I have a small runabout I keep for Cowes Week, so I'm not unfamiliar with boats if you don't mind me driving."
"I don't mind at all. Let's see what we can see, shall we?"
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that sounds fab," says Liz, gladly accepting Tony's help getting in the boat. She sits down, leaning back and crossing her legs.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The motorboat purrs through the surging waves, which are a bit choppy due to the rain and wind. The three passengers arrive at a point below the Fisherman's Cove where it might be possible to throw a rope attached to a grappling hook and climb up. This will, of course, require skill and care, being done from a rocking boat. (For the sake of practicality, all three are dressed in more informal clothing than that worn yesterday. No doubt Doctor North is wearing something that might be favored by Honor Blackman or Diana Rigg during their adventures on The Avengers.)
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 Perception = 12 [dice]0[/dice]
Zara examines the ride closely, but is unable to see anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps she is still a bit hung over.
Spoiler:
Just throwing out a thought here; I don't know if, when such an attempt fails, now or in the future, there might be some kind of intervention from your Dark Patron. Maybe only once per Affair. The Dark Patron and the assistance would be of whatever nature you think is appropriate. Help from such a source would involve some kind of payment in kind, I assume; perhaps the Catastrophe to which persons of your class are due?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

With the boat bobbing on the swell, Tony ties a grapplng hook to a rope and throws it.
Dexterity roll?,Dexterity 14 [dice]0[/dice]
The throw misses completely, with the hook plopping into the sea. Tony tuts as he tries to pull the rope back in.

"Hmm. Perhaps we should look for a ladder? There's got to be some sort of maintenance hatch surely?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A few moments of thought will convince the trio of adventurers that the buildings in the park were maintained from the surface, via the normal entrance. A ladder running up the pier would not only be dangerous, but would allow trespassers to enter the park. Perhaps one of the other two has a steadier arm.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
Just throwing out a thought here; I don't know if, when such an attempt fails, now or in the future, there might be some kind of intervention from your Dark Patron. Maybe only once per Affair. The Dark Patron and the assistance would be of whatever nature you think is appropriate. Help from such a source would involve some kind of payment in kind, I assume; perhaps the Catastrophe to which persons of your class are due?
Victoria Silverwolf,I pictured my patron as wanting to own me,meaning it would sometimes protect me from other harm - perhaps it would intervene if failing the test would put me in danger - then in return it's able to throw catastrophe into some part of my life that's not about it or my art. Regarding what it is, I was thinking of something like an incubus or male analogue of a lamia, that sees my gift as a way of securing its own safety against rivals. (It seems like the kind of motive that would make it easy to pick up another if I somehow get rid of it).
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

"Well I don't see any masked lunatics around here," Carson remarks. "I hope you're not going to tell me he only comes out at night, Miss J--Zara." He peers over the edge of the Diving Bells' water tank looking for any signs of degenerate life: liquor bottles, drug needles, beatnik literature.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Zara shakes her head. "I don't know when he comes out. I only know what I painted. He's killing, and Liz thinks we can stop him."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I was never very good at throwing things," says Liz. "I throw like a girl, for obvious reasons. If you two will hold the boat steady, I'll give it a try, though." She stands up carefully, picks up the rope and grappling hook, and whirls the hook over her head. When it has built up enough momentum, she lets it fly. Unsurprisingly, she misses. She sits back down and hauls in the rope again.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12 - 3[Bad Throwing Arm] = 9): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Although Jack is able to find cigarette butts and other such trash in the tank, there is nothing else of obvious interest to be seen.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Bill Ferris

Bill takes the rope and hook. He is still a bit dizzy, but decided to have a go at it.

"Let me give a try..."
Dexterity 13,[dice]0[/dice]
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

evil_scientist wrote:Bill Ferris

Bill takes the rope and hook. He is still a bit dizzy, but decided to have a go at it.

"Let me give a try..."
Dexterity 13,[dice]216348:0[/dice]
Spoiler:
This is close enough to be a success if you would like to use your Feat of Dexterity for the day.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Bill puts some extra groove into the throw...
OOC,Yes, using up my feat for today!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Bill,Sorry, I didn't realise you were with the boating party so apologies for not mentioning you in my previous posts!
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
I may have gotten a little bit mixed up as to who is where. Let's go from here. We'll leave the four of you in the boat, Zara and Jack at the Diving Bells.
With a mighty effort, Bill hurls the grappling hook in a perfectly aimed throw that catches onto the top of the pier. The rope is now firmly attached, in no danger of falling free. Now it's just a matter of climbing.
Spoiler:
STR rolls for anybody who wants to climb up successfully, with adjustments as appropriate. Failure means you stay in the boat. You may also choose to stay in the boat if you prefer.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Strength 7,[dice]0[/dice]
"Oh I say, well done Bill!"

Tony tugs on the rope but fails to pull himself up. Red-faced, he harrumps.

"Um, perhaps I'd be better off staying on the boat, in case our scuba diving chum turns up."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

Inside the park:

"I'd better scout around in case any watchmen are patrolling," Carson says to Zara. "You wait here." He walks a little way from the Diving Bells, looking around.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair”