Page 1 of 1

Track 12: Crystal Blue Persuasion

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By the time the big mess in Venice is all cleared up, and the weary investigators have had a chance to unwind from all their adventures, it's the middle of 1969. There's time to pay attention to trivial things again. Sci-fi buffs may mourn the final episode of the American television series Star Trek, which was never very popular. In a real-life incident that sounds like science fiction, a chunk of a Soviet satellite fell to Earth and hit the Japanese freighter Dai Chi Chinei, seriously injuring five members of the crew. Zara, still experiencing the strange feeling of emptiness that began with the demise of the blood-draining energy being, produces drawings of the incident, all done in bright blue ink.

Re: Track 12: Crystal Blue Persuasion

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:46 pm
by jp1885
Is this a convenient time to level-up maybe?

P relaxes in his own way: tinkering and pottering (and occasionally berating Otto in the manner of an exasperated parent against a recalcitrant child).

Expressing a polite interest in Zara’s drawings, he approaches her one evening.

“Might I ask: how did you become attached to the entity?”

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz has been spending time in the lab doing research too, but she has also made time for a social life. She is keeping an eye out as the date of the concert disaster in Altamont approaches, knowing that they'll have to intervene to prevent it. "Looks like we're going to need to investigate this Soviet satellite incident," she says, examining the drawing. "These drawings are always significant."

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A little research reveals that the incident involving the Japanese freighter occurred while the vessel was passing through the Strait of Tartary, a narrow body of water between the island of Sakhalin and the Russian mainland. A glance at the map reveals this to be an area likely to be closely watched by both Soviet and Japanese governments.

Whether or not Zara is able to provide an explanation for her connection with the entity, she feels as if something else is trying to connect with her, in an unexplained manner.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:59 pm
by jp1885

At some point, depending on when or if Zara replies, P will study the map with a frown.

“Diplomatically fraught - very fraught. I must call Tony and see how he is: perhaps he can furnish us with a contact in Japan, who can help us get to the strait undercover, so as not to alarm the Soviets, hm?”

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good thinking," says Liz. "It will be good to talk to him again, too. Sakhalin Island was previously owned by Japan, but when the Soviet Union jumped into the war against Japan in August 1945 they seized and kept it. Very rich in oil, Sakhalin."

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Just now saw the comment about leveling up. Sure, go ahead. Here's the Player's Handbook for reference.

https://engineoforacles.files.wordpress ... ee-pdf.pdf

I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A series of phone calls to Agent Jack Carson, on secure lines, yields the following information, as well as some warnings.

"Since it looks like the good old USA is going to get to the Moon first in a month or so, God willing, the Japanese have dropped their secret program to get there before the Americans. The Kōanchōsa-chō (Public Security Intelligence Agency), the Japanese intelligence bureau, has therefore warmed up to the CIA a little bit, so we've been working on this falling space junk incident with them. We could use some feet on the ground, so to speak.

"I believe you had contact in the past with Takara Electronics. They're doing some hush-hush stuff for the PISA; fancy gadgets and such. I can get you passes to pay a visit to the Sapporo regional office of Takara Electronics, on the island of Hokkaidō. That's about as close as you're going to get to the Strait of Tartary without drawing undue attention from the Soviets. From there, maybe you and the folks at Takara can figure out a way to get you near the area where the incident took place.

"But be careful. Takara and PISA may have something else up their sleeves. Good luck."

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:44 am
by jp1885

Thanks Vic, I’ll take a look at levelling up P when I have time. Does Otto improve too?

“We need to know the ‘terrain’, as it were,” P declares. “I shall do some research on the area, it’s inhabitants and their customs.”

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I've worked for Takara before, as assistant to Professor Hinkley," says Liz. "I quite liked him, and I hope we meet him again. Zara was working a secretary, and Tony was in sales. I'll help with the research. I know Japanese too, which will help."

I may need some time to finish leveling up too. I definitely want to increase my Wisdom again, but it'll take me a little while to see what ritual and asset I want to add.

I'd guess Otto doesn't improve, as Ivan never has.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:02 am
by SunlessNick

Zara tells the others that she can't feel the entity any more, and it seems to be gone. While this might be expected to be a relief - and she appears to mean it when she says it is - she doesn't really act like it. She goes back to drinking heavily, spending evenings at the Sospiri, nights obsessively paining slightly abstracted Venice street scenes [rolls a 12 - not bad ones, though not her best work] and days sleeping. All as if she is trying to fill some kind of void.

"I don't really know how. Sometimes I see things when I paint. That's always been around. It's why I don't... it's why I live on my own. I guess wherever things like that live, part of me lives there too, so they see me and want to use me. Now that thing's gone, there'll be something else. There always is."

Regarding the satellite, Zara agrees they need to check it out. "Does Jack know what the satellite was for?" she asks during the contact with him. "And did all of it come down, or is the rest of it still up there?"

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:44 am

Thanks Vic, I’ll take a look at levelling up P when I have time. Does Otto improve too?

“We need to know the ‘terrain’, as it were,” P declares. “I shall do some research on the area, it’s inhabitants and their customs.”
Spoiler:
I'd say he's more of an "item" than a "character," so I'd guess not
The basic facts about the island of Hokkaidō are easy to obtain from any decent encyclopedia. It's the northernmost major island of Japan, obviously, and therefore is subject to cold winters. (It was even supposed to host the Winter Olympics in 1940, but, for obvious reasons, they never took place. Maybe some day?) Before being annexed by Japan way back in the 19th century, it was one of the homelands of the indigenous Ainu people. Due to discrimination and intermarriage, they are now a small minority on the island, although there are still a considerable number in a couple of the southern sub-prefectures of Hokkaidō. Sapporo is the capital of the prefecture of Hokkaidō and only major metropolis on the island.

The cold and humid island of Sakhalin is heavily forested and sparsely populated, mostly by ethnic Russians, many of them convicts or the descendants thereof, but there are also a considerable number of ethnic Koreans, the descendants of forced laborers brought to the island by the Japanese during the Second World War. Many of the latter live in the island's administrative center, and only important city, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:17 pm

"I've worked for Takara before, as assistant to Professor Hinkley," says Liz. "I quite liked him, and I hope we meet him again. Zara was working a secretary, and Tony was in sales. I'll help with the research. I know Japanese too, which will help."

I may need some time to finish leveling up too. I definitely want to increase my Wisdom again, but it'll take me a little while to see what ritual and asset I want to add.

I'd guess Otto doesn't improve, as Ivan never has.
Having an important connection with Takara Electronics, Liz is able to arrange for a full tour of the Sapporo facility -- both the "public" activities of the company and more "private" ones.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:02 am
Zara tells the others that she can't feel the entity any more, and it seems to be gone. While this might be expected to be a relief - and she appears to mean it when she says it is - she doesn't really act like it. She goes back to drinking heavily, spending evenings at the Sospiri, nights obsessively paining slightly abstracted Venice street scenes [rolls a 12 - not bad ones, though not her best work] and days sleeping. All as if she is trying to fill some kind of void.

"I don't really know how. Sometimes I see things when I paint. That's always been around. It's why I don't... it's why I live on my own. I guess wherever things like that live, part of me lives there too, so they see me and want to use me. Now that thing's gone, there'll be something else. There always is."

Regarding the satellite, Zara agrees they need to check it out. "Does Jack know what the satellite was for?" she asks during the contact with him. "And did all of it come down, or is the rest of it still up there?"
Not much is known about the satellite. The Soviets aren't admitting it was one of theirs, although the United Nations came to the conclusion that it was.

"That's one of the things the Agency would like you to investigate," Jack explains. "Was it a Red satellite, or something else? What was its purpose? Our agents are too well known to the other side to make much progress. If you could get a chunk of it to us, that would be a big help."

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:59 pm
by jp1885

“Off to Japan then,” says P. “Do we use the airship or fly in like normal travellers? The latter might arouse less suspicion.”

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree," says Liz. "Let's take a commercial flight. The airship would definitely attract too much notice."

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The direct commercial flight from Los Angeles to Sapporo aboard the newest of Pan Am's luxury jetliners is fairly comfortable, but takes about fifteen or sixteen hours.
Spoiler:
reduce all basic characteristics by 1 the first "day" after settling in at your hotel, due to jet lag
The adventurers have rooms at the Sapporo Grand Hotel, a western-style establishment opened in 1934. (It was reopened in 1952 after the war.) It is conveniently located near the Sapporo division headquarters of Tanaka Electronics, a modest building.

In each hotel room, the adventurers find handwritten notes, in English, all bearing the same message.

The kamuy welcome you

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:35 pm
by jp1885

“Kamuy: Ainu spirits I believe,” pronounces P, having read a little about them during his research. “Nice of them to bid us welcome. I wonder if this is something they do for tourists, or a little push to go see the indigenous folk around here?”

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps we could, if we get a chance," says Liz. "I'd like to meet them, and they'd make excellent guides. But our first stop should be Takara."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:09 am
by SunlessNick

"As soon as we do they'll start following us. Unless they already are," Zara says.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good point," says Liz. "We'll have to keep an eye out for anyone tailing us. Still, I don't think we can avoid going to Takara, at least not for long. We'll just have to deal with it when it happens."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When the investigators reach the local office of Takara Electronics, they recognize Mister Nakamura, former personal aid to Mister Takara, now in charge of the facility. He welcomes them warmly.

"We have shared many interesting times together. Now, how may I assist you?"

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ohayoo gozaimasu, Nakamura-san," says Liz with a bow. "We are hear to tour the facilities. We may also be able to assist with another matter, concerning a certain freighter."

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:37 pm
by jp1885

P steps forward, hand thrust out in greeting.

“We have yet to be introduced,” he declares. “Professor Peabody at your service; and this is my assistant Otto. I have heard much about your research into space travel: fascinating stuff; quite fascinating.”

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:35 am
by SunlessNick

Zara quickly smothers a grin at P's line about space travel. "It's good to see you again," she says.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With a trace of embarrassment, Mister Nakamura says "I am afraid our modest attempts to explore the cosmos have not produced such results as might have been wished. But allow me to demonstrate something that you may perhaps find more successful."
He takes them into a gleaming, brightly lit room where technicians dressed in pure white gowns are assembling small electronic parts into a rectangular black box, a foot or so high and wide, bearing a numerical keyboard and a display area. He passes one such complete device around; it weighs about two or three pounds.

"A truly portable calculating machine," he explains. "When it is placed on the market, we hope to sell it for well under one thousand American dollars."

Leading them through a maze of corridors, they wind up in a small conference room and are offered seats.

"We can speak openly here. This room is free of, as you say, 'bugs.' Our government is curious about the space debris that damaged Dai Chi Chinei and seriously injured five crewmen. Fortunately, they are now being cared for in a local hospital. The Soviets have denied all knowledge of the event, although the United Nations taskforce investigating the incident suggests it was, indeed, a Russian satellite. Do you think you would be able to investigate the situation? We believe it would be helpful if non-Japanese persons were to undertake the task.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think we can help you," says Liz. "We should start by talking to the crew and examining their injuries." She is fascinated by the calculating machine, and she plans to buy one when it becomes available. Not that she needs help doing basic math, but it would surely be able to crunch numbers faster than she could.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:59 pm
by jp1885

P is also intrigued by the prototype machine. Tearing himself away from the device, he nods.

“Quite so. A thorough inspection of the wreckage is also in order. I assume some pieces of the satellite have been recovered, hmm?”

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:08 am
by SunlessNick

Zara takes care to glance at any charts or screens the party passes - not long enough for a normal person to feasibly read them, but trusting in her memory to recall them later.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:55 pm

"Yes, I think we can help you," says Liz. "We should start by talking to the crew and examining their injuries." She is fascinated by the calculating machine, and she plans to buy one when it becomes available. Not that she needs help doing basic math, but it would surely be able to crunch numbers faster than she could.
"That can be arranged."

Later that day, the investigators are admitted to the hospital holding the five crewmen, and are permitted to speak to them.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:59 pm

P is also intrigued by the prototype machine. Tearing himself away from the device, he nods.

“Quite so. A thorough inspection of the wreckage is also in order. I assume some pieces of the satellite have been recovered, hmm?”
"If only it were that simple. According to our information, after colliding with the freighter, all such fragments fells into the Strait of Tartary. It is possible that certain such pieces have washed up on the shore of Sakhalin island, not far from the site of the incident, based on our study of currents in the area."

He leaves for a few minutes, returning with a detailed oceanographic map of the area, as well as other maps of Sakhalin, in which Zara seems to take a great interest.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:08 am

Zara takes care to glance at any charts or screens the party passes - not long enough for a normal person to feasibly read them, but trusting in her memory to recall them later.
Studying the charts brought in by Mr. Nakamura, your enhanced memory for details allows you to deduce that the most probable site where part of the satellite might have landed is an isolated northern part of the island, far from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, the only major city on the island. It is also an area where, according to a demographic map, an Ainu community is located.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:57 pm
by jp1885

"Hm, very well," sighs P, exasperated. "Let us interview the crew first. Perhaps Nakamura-San, you could send some fellows ahead to comb the beaches of Sakhalin?"

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Konichiwa," says Liz, bowing to the sailors. "Do you speak English? If you do not, I speak Japanese and can translate for my colleagues. Please tell us what happened." She examines the sailors, trying to determine the nature of their injuries and what caused them, as well as their medical charts

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:57 pm

"Hm, very well," sighs P, exasperated. "Let us interview the crew first. Perhaps Nakamura-San, you could send some fellows ahead to comb the beaches of Sakhalin?"
"I shall indeed. I believe I can spare one operative, who has experience with discreet investigations."

(Some days later, after the adventurers have completed the interviews with the injured men, and have otherwise prepared themselves for an excursion to Sakhalin, Mister Nakamura is sorry to report that the operative has not returned from the island, or even communicated with headquarters, which is most unlike him.)

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
5d20
Of the five injured sailors, one does not speak any English at all, three know a few simple phrases, and one is completely fluent in it, having spent a great deal of time in the United States.

"My American buddies call me Johnny," he says with a smile. Apparently he's in a good mood, despite his injury. "What can I do for you folks?"

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:53 pm
by SunlessNick

As soon as the party get a moment alone, Zara tells them what she saw on the chart.

To Johnny, she says, "We're here about how your boat got damaged. Would you be cool with telling us what happened?"

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:11 pm
by jp1885

“The Ainu again…” mutters P when Zara discloses what she saw.

While Liz speaks to the crew, he smiles encouragingly at them, whilst perusing their medical charts.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, Johnny," says Liz with a smile. "My name is Liz. Pleased to meet you. Why don't you start by explaining what happened in your own words, and we'll ask further questions if we have any."

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
d20
Perusal of the medical chart reveals that the men suffered the injuries you'd expect from an unexpected object crashing down from the sky; bruises, scrapes, a broken bone here and there. They're all being watched to make sure they don't have concussions from falling down on the deck of the ship. The only thing unusual is that all have mild cases of sunburn, which is odd, considering the cloudy weather at the time.

"Well," Johnny says, "me and the guys were just checking things out on deck, you know, joking and laughing and carrying on, when BAM! This big bright blue light blazes down from way up, and something that felt like a baby hurricane knocks us over. We were pretty shaky and couldn't see too well, so by the time we got to sickbay we didn't now what the heck was going on. The brass says it was a Russian satellite. Crazy, huh?"

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:58 pm
by jp1885

“Did you feel any sensation of heat?” P asks the sailors.

He turns to Liz and whispers: “I suggest we test them for radiation.”

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz nods. "My thoughts exactly," she says.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It seems there was a very brief sensation of intense heat, but it quickly faded away, so they didn't think much of it at the time, given everything else that was going on. Tests indicate brief exposure to radiation, but not to the point of being very dangerous.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:30 pm
by jp1885

"This might seem as an odd question, but does any of the crew hail from the Ainu community?" P asks.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"They were only exposed briefly and should recover," says Liz, "but the satellite is likely carrying a radioactive payload. We're going to need radiation suits, like that other time."

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:30 pm
"This might seem as an odd question, but does any of the crew hail from the Ainu community?" P asks.
As far as anyone can tell, none of the men have Ainu ancestry.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:25 am

"They were only exposed briefly and should recover," says Liz, "but the satellite is likely carrying a radioactive payload. We're going to need radiation suits, like that other time."
Given this information, Takara Electronics is able to supply the investigators with new, much lighter than usual, radiation suits, which do not restrict the users' movements to the same degree as the usual design. They are designed to be used underwater at reasonably shallow depths as well, when necessary, each one carrying a small supply of pressurized air.

"They are experimental, however," Mister Nakamura advises them.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:23 pm
by SunlessNick

"Do you know if there were any other ships about?" Zara asks Johnny.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Liz with another bow. "We'll need a Geiger counter too, to detect radiation. If the satellite is radioactive, that will help us know when we get closer to it. Maybe I can modify it to better indicate the direction from which the radiation comes."

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:58 am
by jp1885

“I will of course assist you,” says P.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:23 pm

"Do you know if there were any other ships about?" Zara asks Johnny.
"Nothing but deep blue sea for as far as the eye could see."

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Fiddling around with the Geiger counter, the team comes up with something that can indicate the general direction and strength of a source of radiation. Because the Strait of Tatary is fairly shallow -- less that 700 feet at the deepest point -- they are given the use of a surface vessel and a small submersible.

"Anything else you need before you make this 'scientific expedition,'" Mister Nakamura says with a smile. "Our friends in the Soviet Union have been informed, of course, that you are a group of oceanographers studying the region, under the auspices of UNESCO."

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"That will do nicely," says Liz. "We have the scientific knowledge to back up our cover. Is there anything else you two think we might need? Weapons, perhaps? Concealed, of course."

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:46 pm
by jp1885

"And some sonar equipment?" suggests P. "It would help to locate the underwater wreckage."

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:09 am
by SunlessNick

"And something lead lined to put it in," Zara adds, remembering hearing about lead being good for that.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The requested equipment is supplied, including dart guns that can be used underwater or in the open air.

"For hunting and fishing," Mister Nakamura explains. "Tranquilizer darts as well as more lethal ammunition."

The investigators are shown aboard the research vessel, and trained in the use of the one-person submersible, which is pretty much just a metal sphere with windows, exterior lights, and a pair of grasping extensions, or waldoes.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz enjoys training with the sub, being enamored of technical devices in general.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:27 am
by jp1885

P also enjoys the training, as it demonstrates several interesting scientific phenomena. He is, however, rather less graceful than Liz in his operation of the equipment.

Otto also struggles somewhat; it being a tight fit and somewhat complicated for such a simple fellow.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once inside the Strait of Tartary, the investigators spend several hours exploring the area. It's impossible to miss the fact that their movements are carefully watched by a Soviet fishing vessel, which happens to stay just far enough away for a telescope to observe them. The boat's instruments finally reveal a source of mild radioactivity coming from a point not far from Sakahlin Island, in the water, at a place where the strait is not much more than seven kilometers wide. It would be possible to send someone down in the submersible, or to explore the area in the underwater radiation suit (with external air supply, of course.)

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:44 pm
by jp1885

P considers his options for a moment.

“I think I would do more good in the submersible; my swimming days are somewhat in the past alas.”

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"The submersible only holds one man - or woman," says Liz. "I think both Zara and I make better pilots. I'd volunteer to use it, unless you'd like to instead, Zara. I'd also be comfortable in a radiation suit."

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:49 am
by jp1885

“I suppose if Otto could be induced to accompany me, I could take a dip,” replies P, remembering his disastrous attempts to drive the Rolls Royce.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While this is being arranged, a large, dark shape can be seen in the water, just about where the radioactivity is located. It seems to be deep enough to be little more than a blur, but it's definitively moving in a slow circle.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Could be a shark," says Liz. "Sharks don't usually attack people. We just don't taste very good to them. They might take an experimental bite if they don't know what something is, however, and that could puncture a diving suit. I wouldn't recommend using those. Have we got any shark repellent?"

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:37 pm
by jp1885

"Perhaps we could rustle up some kind of sonic emitter to scare it away?" suggests P. "Or leave it to Otto - he's rather good at seeing off such things."

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:43 am
by SunlessNick

Zara is pretty taken with the idea of piloting a submersible (more so than swimming). "If the sub goes down before any divers, we can check if it's really a shark. The Russians might have a sub of their own."

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The ship has a supply of shark repellent. (No doubt somebody will make a joking reference to use of such a thing in the silly movie Batman of a few years ago.)

Zara descends in the submersible. The tiny viewport, made of very thick glass, and the murky water don't allow for perfect visibility, but she can tell that the dark shape, although obviously an aquatic, fish-shaped animal of some kind, is a lot bigger than any shark found in the area. It vanishes from sight, but a heavy bump on the bottom of the vessel reveals that it's investigating the new arrival out of curiosity. (The folks on the boat can see what Zara sees, if only on a tiny black-and-white TV screen, and are in radio communication with her.) Meanwhile, there's a pale blue glow coming from somewhere on the bottom of the sea, just a little bit ahead of the submersible.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:07 pm
by jp1885

“Fascinating: could the radiation have caused the creature to grow over such a relatively short period of time?” wonders P as he peers at the screen.

“Zara,” he says over the comms. “Be careful near the radiation source. I suggest you take some readings but don’t dally, hm?”

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, radioactivity could account for abnormal growth," says Liz. "Professor Hinkley observed this on the island where he was stranded. When he and his fellow castaways planted some irradiated seeds that had washed up, the vegetables grown were unusually large. It looks like the glow may be the satellite, but we'll need to get rid of the creature first, and then approach the glow wearing the radiation suits. Perhaps the sub could hold the shark repellent in one of its waldoes and use it to drive the animal away."

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:07 pm

“Fascinating: could the radiation have caused the creature to grow over such a relatively short period of time?” wonders P as he peers at the screen.

“Zara,” he says over the comms. “Be careful near the radiation source. I suggest you take some readings but don’t dally, hm?”
The instruments indicate a mild amount of radioactivity coming from the source, not much more than the normal background.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Getting the shark repellent to one of the submersible's waldoes is going to take quite a bit of co-ordination . . .

d20

Fortunately, Zara is able to catch the the container in the machine's claw and carry it under the surface of the water. From there, activating the container causes a dark cloud of liquid to disperse throughout the water, cutting visibility to a minimum. The pale blue glow is no longer seen, so it's going to take even more of a steady (mechanical) hand to grab whatever is producing the radiation -- if that's what the investigators want to do.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done, Zara," says Liz. "I can't see the glow any more with the repellent in the area, but maybe you can grab the object now. If not, we can come down in the suits."

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
d20

Zara gives it the old college try, but operating the waldoes in the murky water is difficult, and the object slips out of the mechanical claws of the submersible, to be lost in the sandy bottom of the water. It's impossible to see exactly where it landed from the submersible, so it's going to take somebody in a diving suit with a handheld radiation detector to find the thing.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:38 pm
by jp1885

“I suppose we’d better ‘suit up’, as they say,” sniffs P.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Liz. She ducks into her cabin and changes into her underwater radiation suit.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:47 am
by SunlessNick

Zara spend the others' prep time searching for the object, and any other large sea life around (giving warnings of anything she finds).

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The only animals nearby are small fish of various kinds. The repellent seems to have done its job, keeping away large predators.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Both P and Liz prove to have great good luck with the diving suits. They discover the object right away, and easily take hold of it. Once it is brought aboard the boat (for its small amount of radioactivity is harmless) it proves to be a curious thing, made of some kind of shiny blue metal, the exact nature of which is not immediately obvious. The shape appears to be something like a triple helix, three strands of the metal winding around each other in a complex pattern.

As the investigators are studying the object, a signal bursts from the boat's radio, on the emergency frequency. In heavily accented English, it says "SOS! SOS! Mayday! Mayday! We are sinking! UN boat, please help!"

It is apparent that the broadcast is coming from the Russian fishing vessel not far away, and it can be seen (through binoculars or telescope) that a pool of black liquid surrounds the Soviet boat.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:06 am
by jp1885

P drags himself away from the fascinating object.

We’d better go and help I suppose,” he announces.

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we must help," says Liz. "Just be wary, it could be a trap. We should hide the object while Zara gets back aboard, and then we should head toward the signal."

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As Zara hides the object somewhere in the bowels of the boat (seagoing vessels always seem to have bowels) the others head for the allegedly distressed Soviet vessel. As they approach, they can see that the Russian boat is, indeed, listing in the water, and seems headed for the bottom. It could be worse; the sea isn't very deep here, and it's not terribly far from land, but the water is quite cold. Some of the men aboard the fishing vessel are climbing into a life raft; others are scrambling to try to keep the boat afloat. A few are on deck, waving at the investigators. It'll take cool nerves and a steady hand to bring the vessels together, and to get the men aboard the UN boat.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:11 pm
by jp1885

“Be on your guard,” P declares to everyone in general. “I shall offer my assistance to the captain as we hove to.”

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Unless Zara pilots the boat, Liz will guide it into position. If Zara does pilot the boat, Liz will help the sailors aboard.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
We'll give both a shot. 2d20the dreaded 20!

Zara is able to steer the boat so that the two vessels are in the perfect position for transferring personnel from the sinking boat. All are taken aboard, but at the last moment, Liz slips on the water-soaked deck as she is helping one of the Russian sailors. He falls into the sea, waving his hands and shouting in his native language.

--can't swim--

(This seems to be a surprisingly common flaw among sailors.)

As if that were not enough, he suddenly plunges below the surface, as if something pulled him down.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

Gripping her dart gun, Liz dives into the water to rescue the Russian sailor, glad that she's still wearing her diving suit.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rescue is going to take both DEX and STR2d20

The diving suit proves to be too much of an encumbrance for Liz to reach the Russian, who sinks out of sight. Strangely, his body does not stop when it reaches the bottom, but sinks beneath the rocks and sand, producing a swirling movement of the water that sends fish scurrying away, except for those who suffer a similar fate, disappearing from sight.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

Unable to do anything further to help, Liz gets back aboard the boat.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the other Russians are taken aboard the UN vessel, a whirlpool forms on the surface of the water at the point where the unfortunate fellow went down. Although quite small, it seems to form the same kind of funnel as the fabled Maelstrom.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:53 pm
by jp1885

“Most disturbing,” mutters P.

Ignoring the Russians, hands flicker over the ship’s sonar equipment as he tries to get a reading on the source of the whirlpool.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We have to get out of here!" Liz calls to Zara. "That whirlpool could sink us too!"

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the boat backs away carefully from the whirlpool, sonar reveals that the phenomenon continues down for some depth, then abruptly turns to the east. Once the signal reaches the coast of Sakhalin Island (at what must some distance below the ground) it is impossible to detect it, no doubt due to the way it bounces off the (underwater) solid landmass of the island.

The rescued Russians, kept warm with spare blankets and plenty of hot coffee, eventually tell their story. It seems that a beam of bright blue light struck their vessel, coming from somewhere near the UN boat. (It was too short in duration to tell anything else.)

The captain of the fishing boat, although grateful for the way he and his men were saved, seems to harbor a suspicion that his rescuers had something to do with the incident.

"I have heard of an American invention," he says cautiously, "no doubt to be used as a weapon against the forces of liberation in Southeast Asia. Have you come here to test this 'laser' on us?"

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:59 pm
by jp1885

“I’ve no idea if our American friends are capable of such things or not, but the direction of the whirlpool would suggests a different source.”

He smartly taps the sonar screen with his pen.

“Sakhalin island, not Guam or Hawaii, hm? May we drop you Russian fellows off somewhere?” he asks, suddenly changing the topic in a bid to be rid of this distraction.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're British anyway, not Americans," says Liz, tactfully neglecting to include Zara. "It wouldn't surprise me if they had lasers, but we haven't got any. There must be a third party involved. We'd hardly risk our lives to rescue you if we'd gone to the trouble of sinking you. If you'd prefer to go to Japan, we're not far from Hokkaido. The food there is excellent. I'm sure you could later be repatriated back home, if you wish." And if they wished to defect, that option was open to them as well. She left that unspoken, but there was no need to say it.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After much discussion among the Russians, they elect to be taken to Hokkaido. The voyage to the city of Wakkanai, the northernmost community in Japan, is a brief one. On the way, the boat passes close by the small, uninhabited island of Benten-jima, known for its colonies of sea lions and seabirds. The tiny piece of land, just half a hectare in size and rising only to a maximum height of twenty meters, is worth a look under normal conditions, like a snowy hill floating in the ocean. What makes it particularly interesting at this time is the fact that there seems to be someone lying on the rocky beach (if one can call the miniscule bit of flat land on the shore by that term) and no boats nearby.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz uses a pair of binoculars to get a closer look at the person on the beach. "Could be someone shipwrecked," she says.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:54 pm
by jp1885

“Perhaps it’s the Russian fellow we were unable to save, somehow washed onto the islet,” muses P.

“Either way, it seems we must play the rescuer again, hm?”

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
d20

Even with binoculars, the constant movement of the ocean and the mist that frequently reduces visibility in these chilly waters makes it impossible to determine anything about the person on the island. The rocky, irregular coastline of the place, without any kind of natural harbor, makes landing there quite tricky.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We're going to have to approach," says Liz. "I can't make out any details from here, but whoever it is may still be alive. I hope the sailor I couldn't rescue survived, but this is pretty far from where the boat went down."

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:09 pm
by jp1885

"Maybe I can re-jig the ship's sonar to scan the jagged coastline for rocks," says P. "Then we can edge the ship closer and effect a rescue."

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
INT 15 + 1 = 16d20

ping . . . ping . . . ping

The altered sonar set is able to locate a safe harbor for the boat, which happens to be located almost one hundred and eighty degrees from the human figure seen. It will take some careful scrambling over slippery rocks to reach the person.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:26 pm
by jp1885

“I’ve found a suitable place to land,” P announces.

“But I think stout boots and some rope is in order: we’ll have to climb across to get to the chap.”

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz nods. "I'll have to change out of my diving suit," she says. ""It's not really suited to climbing."

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Assuming you want the active player with the highest DEX to go first. Liz DEX = 12d20

Bits of wet ice on the rocks make it too difficult for Liz to make her way to the other side of the small island, although she definitely comes close.

Let's try the inactive player. Zara DEX = 14d20

Sure-footed Zara gives it a try as well, but it's the same old story.

Let's try the servant next. Otto = DEX 9d20

Perhaps sheer bulk is the key to staying on one's feet. In any case, the hulking Otto is sent out to find the person on the other side of the island, and bring him or her back, dead or alive.

STR = 13 + 3 for Strong = 16d20

Faithfully executing his duty, Otto returns with the man last seen going down the strange whirlpool. He is alive, but seems to be in a delirious state, muttering to himself in Russian, with the non-Russian words Repun Kamuy repeated several times.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:15 pm
by jp1885

"Bravo Otto!" P enthuses.

"Let's get this poor fellow warm and dry while we check him over for injuries."

He fusses over the Russian somewhat, muttering to himself.

"Pepun Kamuy... some sort of Ainu spirit I believe..."

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"That could be," says Liz, trying to recall what she knows of such things as she treats the injured Russian. "I'm glad he was able to survive. I'm curious how he got here from there."

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Russian sailor's physical condition is better than one might expect, with only mild symptoms of hypothermia and some bruises here and there. His mental state is another matter. He appears to be delirious, unaware of those around him, his mutterings in his native tongue mostly taking the form of demands to be taken to an "elder" for the "ceremony."

The investigators are able to correctly identify Repun Kamuy as an Ainu deity of the sea, although what the fellow means by repeating the name is unclear.

The Russians demand to know what is to be done with them, and their companion, who has clearly gone mad.

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I could try to hypnotise your friend," suggests Liz, "to heal his mind and try to figure out what happened to him. There are no guarantees, though. He may need more help than I can give him. We can still continue on to Hokkaido, and if I can't help him enough, he can get more help there."

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:41 pm
by jp1885

While Liz placates the Russians, P looks at the charts and attempts to plot the route their stricken comrade may have taken from the whirlpool to the islet.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Hypnosis is actually a Spell in this game, which I don't think you have -- correct me if I am wrong. You might find someone with such a Spell, somewhere . . .

Without the practiced skills of a professional mesmerist, Liz's attempts to hypnotize the Russian sailor have little, if any, effect. It seems that the inherent power and experience of one more adept at the art and science of hypnosis would be required to do any better.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:41 pm
While Liz placates the Russians, P looks at the charts and attempts to plot the route their stricken comrade may have taken from the whirlpool to the islet.
It is immediately obvious that there is no possible way to reach the tiny island from the whirlpool by land, even island-hopping across even smaller bits of rock; the fellow must have traveled by water. This makes it hard to understand why he didn't drown; in his condition, he could not have possibly swum all the way.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:14 pm
by jp1885

"Most odd..." says P. "How did the fellow get here? Liz, perhaps we should drop the Russians off before they cause a scene, but perhaps you could persuade the chap we just picked up to stay? This warrants further study I'll wager."

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like we'll have to go back to Hokkaido to find someone who can help," says Liz. "I know people there, so I'll ask around. I could try to convince him to stay if you like. Men usually listen to me, but I don't know if he can be appealed to in his current condition."

I wouldn't know if it's a Spell, but if it is, it's the next one I want to learn.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The fellow is in no condition to resist any suggestion as to where he might be taken, and his compatriots appear to be glad to be rid of him, so they are willing to be dropped off at the port of Wakkanai, where it won't be too difficult to get a lift on some Russian vessel to the nearby island of Sakhalin, which is Soviet territory.

Once settled in Hokkaido, it remains to be seen how best to deal with the confused but co-operative Russian sailor.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps we can ask at Takara if they know of any local hypnotists," suggests Liz.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:41 pm
by jp1885

“An excellent suggestion. Meanwhile I will do some research into this Repun Kamuy spirit; find out what makes it tick,” says P.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Contact is made with a local representative of Takara Electronics, who knows something of the investigators, if not everything. She is able to supply the name of a respected hypnotherapist, who, however, is unaware of any of the unusual situations with which the company is involved. The Russian sailor must be handled with great discretion, to avoid any unpleasant International repercussions.

As for Repun Kamuy, aside from the fact that it is said to be a sea deity for the Ainu people who still follow the traditional religion of their ancestors, she knows nothing. She suggests that the investigators attempt to find a group of Ainu who still live in the old-fashioned way, keeping in mind that they have often suffered from discrimination at the hands of ethnic Japanese, not unlike the relationship between American Indians and European Americans.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should take the Russian sailor to the hypnotherapist first," says Liz. "Then we should seek out the Ainu. That way, we'll have more questions to ask them once we learn more about what happened to the sailor."

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pm
by jp1885

“Yes, a sensible course of action,” P concurs. “Let us proceed forthwith.”

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The investigators are able to locate a hypnotherapist, who helps people trying to lose weight, stop drinking, stop smoking (for those few whose medical condition makes it advisable to give up such a normal, enjoyable habit) and so forth. She proves to be a lively, friendly type.

"What seems to be this young fellow's problem?" she asks, noting that the Russian sailor seems calm, but a little disoriented, no doubt due to his inability to understand Japanese.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:00 pm
by jp1885

“The poor chap has been through something of an ordeal, but alas we must compel him to relive them, assuming he will not be too distressed,” says P.

“He only speaks Russian, which might prove something of a hurdle.”

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"He was in an accident at sea and went overboard," says Liz. "We found him later washed up on an island, but he wasn't the same afterwards. He's been badly traumatised."

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Language shouldn't be a problem," she explains. "Living this close to the USSR, it's helpful to know Russian."

The hypnotist darkens the room, then waves a small flashlight back and forth before the man's eyes, while speaking softly in Russian.

to see if the subject resists the spell, with his average WIS of 9d20

After quite some time, it becomes clear that the procedure is not producing any useful effect.

"The traumatic event appears to be blocking out the fellow's susceptibility to hypnosis," she explains. "It's almost as if his subconscious refuses to acknowledge what happened to him. I'm afraid I can't be of much help."

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 pm
by jp1885

"That is most unfortunate," sighs P, scrutinising the Russian like a lab sample. "Perhaps we should proceed to stage two: find a member of the Ainu community and discuss the matter further."

He looks quizzically at the hypnotist. "Know you of such a person, hm?"

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps the right medicine could render him less resistant to hypnotism," suggests Liz. "Sodium pentathol might do the trick. I could also try prayer, to free him from any evil influence that may be over him."

Using Exorcism.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 pm
"That is most unfortunate," sighs P, scrutinising the Russian like a lab sample. "Perhaps we should proceed to stage two: find a member of the Ainu community and discuss the matter further."

He looks quizzically at the hypnotist. "Know you of such a person, hm?"
"Yes, I can direct you to a community of Ainu who continue the traditions of their people, although they have also, of necessity, adapted to many modern ways."

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:11 am

"Perhaps the right medicine could render him less resistant to hypnotism," suggests Liz. "Sodium pentathol might do the trick. I could also try prayer, to free him from any evil influence that may be over him."

Using Exorcism.
Once Liz completes the ritual, it becomes clear that there is no evidence that the Russian sailor is under the influence of any sinister force. Whatever may have happened to him, it apparently didn't involve any supernatural evil.

"Sodium pentothal may aid in inducing the hypnotic state," the hypnotist explains, "but it also carries the risk of side effects. Do you want to take the chance?"

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:00 pm
by jp1885

“Tread carefully Doctor North,” warns P.

“We don’t want to damage the subject; think of the diplomatic repercussions. Let’s take him to the Ainu; perhaps they can tease something out of him.”

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Liz. "In any case, I haven't the right. He's in no condition to consent, and I wouldn't try this if he doesn't. Maybe the Ainu will be able to help him."

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Following the directions of the hypnotist, the investigators soon reach a community populated primarily by Ainu, although there are also some ethnic Japanese and a few others in residence. It is not much different from any other town of modest size on Hokkaido, aside from a certain flavor given to it by the indigenous people. Expressing an interest in traditional ways, they meet with a man of advanced years, but in vigorous health. He seems friendly enough, if a little distant, to those inquiring about the ways of his ancestors.

"In this world of heart transplants and jet aircraft, some think we are an ignorant and superstitious folk," he explains. "What do you seek to learn from us?"

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This sailor went overboard in an accident at sea," says Liz. "We later found him washed up on shore, but he hasn't been the same. We can't really communicate with him, but he mentioned the name of Repun Kamuy, the Ainu god of the sea."

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The elderly man nods.

"Repun Kamuy is a generous spirit, who has saved many a drowning person. And yet this man seems to have been touched by Pauchi Kamuy, who brings madness. I sense no trace of that wicked spirit here now, but the damage has already been done. It would be best to perform a sending-back ritual, in order that Kamuy-huci may deliver our prayers to the other spirits.

"The iomante would take far too long to prepare, and there are few bear cubs left to capture and raise. Is there some animal associated with this man whose spirit might be sent back to its fellow kamuy?"

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:12 pm
by jp1885

“This all seems rather unscientific, but when in Rome… hm?” says P.

“The fellow is a sailor and therefore, I postulate, sports a number of tattoos. Could there be a particular animal that features prominently or frequently among them I wonder?”

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps the bear," suggests Liz. "He is Russian, and the bear has long been Russia's symbol."

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This discussion elicits a note of enthusiasm from the Ainu man.

"That is most fitting. The iomante -- the sending-back of the bear spirit -- is the greatest of all rituals. In former times, we captured a bear cub, raised it as if it were one of our own children, then sacrificed it when it reached adulthood. It is no longer legal to kill a bear in this way, but perhaps there are some who do not respect the laws the Japanese have imposed on us. If one were to find a bear that had recently died of natural causes, it might be possible to perform the ceremony properly. It would mean a journey into the wilderness, and pose some hazard."

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:13 pm
by jp1885

“Such a journey would be most instructive,” says P. “Would our sailor friend have to travel with us, or can he be looked after hereabouts?”

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite," says Liz. "We shall need to prepare and equip ourselves before we leave."

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"We can care for your friend while you are away. When you return with the dead bear, we will perform the ritual for him. I presume you may be away for several days, so we will aid you in your preparations."

As a matter of fact, the Russian sailor seems quite at ease among the Ainu. He remains in a passive, co-operative state. Meanwhile, provisions for the journey into the wilderness are supplied, as well as maps and everything else needed for the trip. After some discussion, it seems that Shiretoko National Park, opened a few years ago on an isolated peninsula on the extreme northeastern tip of the island, would be the best place to locate brown bears in the wild. Noted for Mount Rausu, an inactive volcano, and Kamuiwakka Falls, a natural hot springs, the park's headquarters are located in the town of Shari. Much of the peninsula, however, can only be reached by boat or on foot.

"From Shari, you may proceed into the wilderness as you wish. In the mean time, is there any other special equipment you require?"

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:41 pm
by jp1885

“Maybe a letter of introduction?” asks P. “Or some kind of token of recognition? Just in case we encounter some of your fellow Ainu and need to enlist their aid.”

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, a sledge could be useful, to transport the bear," says Liz. "A team of animals to pull it could help too. Also, perhaps an amulet or charm to protect us."

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Let's see if this guy's WIS is enough to supply something like that wis = 9d20

The man is able to supply a couple of muscular, well-trained dogs to haul the sledge. He also gives the investigators a necklace made of bear claws and teeth. In case help is needed from his people, he has written a letter explaining their quest, which they may carry with them.

"This will guide you to where a bear has recently returned to the spirit world. Good luck."

The investigators are easily able to reach the park headquarters, where the park rangers ask where they are headed.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz wears the necklace. It's not her usual style, but she still makes it look good. "I'd like to see the hot springs first," she says. "How about you?" she asks Tony.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:24 pm
by jp1885

“That would seem a suitable place to start,” P replies.