Page 1 of 1

Track Two: The Rain, the Park & Other Things

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It's a misty, drizzly day when a motley set of adventurers set out to explore the abandoned amusement park. While Liz, Tony, and Lew go about the task of obtaining some kind of watercraft, allowing them to approach Fisherman's Cove from the sea, Zara, Bill, and Jack take the more obvious route and head for the main entrance.

Dominating the place where fun-seekers used to pay admission to Pacific Ocean Park is a futuristic sculpture topped by a pair of seahorses, much like the one painted by Zara. Nearby are two empty pools where fountains once played. The entrance to the park is blocked by padlocked turnstiles. This attempt to keep out trespassers hasn't always been successful, or so the locals say. There doesn't seem to be anyone around, or anything of particular interest outside the park, at least at first glance.

Meanwhile, the others find a small establishment called The Big Kahuna's Surf Shack where various watercraft are available for sale or rent, from surfboards to a row boat to a small powerboat, along with other nautical gear. The proprietor is a deeply tanned young man with shoulder-length blonde hair. From a cassette player comes the sound of Jan and Dean's hit from a few years ago, Ride the Wild Surf. The fellow looks at the arrivals and say "Help ya? Good day for fishin', lousy day for surfin'."

Re: Track Two: The Rain, the Park & Other Things

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Liz with a smile. "We'd like to rent a boat."

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"OK. Got l'il ones, big ones. Whatcha need?"

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:41 am
by jp1885

"Oh, something with a motor that's big enough for three of us. Tell me, has anyone hired any boats or scuba gear recently? Maybe someone who struck you as a bit odd? Apart from us of course."

Tony smiles disarmingly.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:04 am
by evil_scientist
Bill Ferris

Bill's head is still buzzing from whatever he took yesterday. The pair of seahorses are mildly freaking him out...

He tags along with the others. He has his small revolver and the trusty silver dagger hidden safely under his leather coat.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:26 am
by Rooter

"If vagrants are getting in here they must have some kind of improvised entrance," Carson remarks outside the turnstiles. "Let's take a look around." He inspects the padlocks for any signs of damage.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Oh, something with a motor that's big enough for three of us. Tell me, has anyone hired any boats or scuba gear recently? Maybe someone who struck you as a bit odd? Apart from us of course."

Tony smiles disarmingly.
Spoiler:
CHA = 13 [dice]0[/dice]
"Oh, yeah. There was this dude that didn't talk American too good, even more than you don't. No offense. Funny kind of guy. Wore a big coat and hat and dark glasses, so you couldn't hardly see his face. Guess he wasn't used to the California sunshine, huh? Bought a bunch of diving stuff. No boat, though."

The proprietor points out a small motorboat on a dock visible from the shop.

"That's the Honolulu Babe. Twenty bucks a day, plus you pay for the gas and a fifty buck deposit, to make sure you don't steal her. Got a boating license?"

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:
"If vagrants are getting in here they must have some kind of improvised entrance," Carson remarks outside the turnstiles. "Let's take a look around." He inspects the padlocks for any signs of damage.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 for Sneak = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Jack's experience with this sort of trickery allows him to discover that somebody has manipulated one of the turnstiles in such a way that, if you push it just right, you can get in without leaving any obvious signs of entry.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:11 pm
by SunlessNick

Once inside, Zara follows Liz's suggestion and tries to identify the exact vantage corresponding to the view she painted.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:36 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 10[dice]0[/dice]
Making fine use of her artist's skill of judging angles and distances, Zara is able to determine that her painting shows the seahorse tower from somewhere in the vicinity of the ride known as the Diving Bells.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:33 pm
by jp1885

Tony mulls over the description - it was entirely possible that Natasha had disguised herself as a man, but equally possible that it was someone else entirely.

"That's the Honolulu Babe. Twenty bucks a day, plus you pay for the gas and a fifty buck deposit, to make sure you don't steal her. Got a boating license?"

"It's er, in the post I believe. Perhaps my friend Lew here has one?" He looks at Lew hopefully. "Failing that, I'm sure we could mitigate such an oversight with some extra, um, I believe the vernacular is 'bread'?"

He opens his wallet.

"Oh, perhaps a pair of oars might be useful too, just in case."

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:02 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew reaches into his coat pocket and takes out his wallet. Fishing inside, he pulls out two twenties and a ten and puts it on the counter.
"That boat will do just fine. Is there gas in the tank right now?" He says.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"The chap who bought the diving gear," says Liz, "about how tall was he, and how much do you think he weighed?"

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Big Kahuna accepts the money from both with a wink.

"Yep, gassed up and ready to go. Heck, I'll toss in the oars for free. Hope ya don't need 'em."
Spoiler:
INT = 9[dice]0[/dice]
In response to Liz's question, he blinks his eyes and says, "Oh, I dunno. Average, I guess. Didn't really notice."

By this time the rain is coming down slightly harder, although it's still on the light side. It may occur to the group that, once they reach the pier below the Fisherman's Cove -- or, for that matter, any part of the defunct amusement park bordering on the ocean -- they will need to find a way to climb up to gain access.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 am
by Rooter
Inside the park:

"OK, Miss James, let's head on over toward the Diving Bell and see if we can find this killer," Carson says skeptically. He pulls his collar up against the rain. "Hopefully we can get indoors, too. And keep an eye out for those two limeys, wherever they've gotten to. I don't trust em. I think they may be in cahoots with the Russkies."

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Diving Bells ride is aptly named. It consists of a pair of large metal structures, each with many portholes, which can hold several people at once. When it was in operation, it ducked the structures rapidly into the surrounding tank of water and back out again. Now the mechanism sits idly over the tank, with rain falling gently into the trash-filled water with a soft splash. All is quiet otherwise.
Spoiler:
Very brief view of the Diving Bell ride in operation here, at about 1:23 to 1:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7yugaQF-0

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:18 am
by jp1885

Tony pauses for a moment, wondering, after coming up with his amazing plan, just how he could execute it.

He asks the Big Kahuna chap if he has any rope, and, pushing his luck, some large hooks, so that the boat can be tethered to the wooden piles that hold up Fisherman's Cove. From there he can hopefully climb up and lower a rope down for the others.

Failng that they'll either have to motor around the park and look for a suitable place, or give up the idea and enter the park on land.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Yeah, we got all kinds o' gear. Plenty of good, strong rope, grapplin' hooks, all that stuff. Lotta commercial fishin' 'round here." The proprietor grins. "'Course, it ain't cheap."

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:54 am
by jp1885
"Money is not an issue dear boy."

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:04 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This is music to his ears, and the transactions are concluded successfully.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:18 pm
by jp1885

"Capital. I'm sure we can rely on your discretion."

Tony leads the others to the boat, chivalrously offering assistance to Dr. North after he clambers in.

"Shall we take a little jaunt? I have a small runabout I keep for Cowes Week, so I'm not unfamiliar with boats if you don't mind me driving."

If Lew and Liz are in agreement, Tony will motor around to Fisherman's Cove, keeping a lookout for any likely spots to tie up.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:28 pm
by SunlessNick

"You can call me Zara," Zara says to Jack, including Bill as well. "Looks sad like this," she remarks about the ride. She looks around for any doors into an enclosed space, figuring that if the killer is doing his work here, he must have some privacy to do what Tony described.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:25 pm
by Starspawn338
"Shall we take a little jaunt? I have a small runabout I keep for Cowes Week, so I'm not unfamiliar with boats if you don't mind me driving."
"I don't mind at all. Let's see what we can see, shall we?"

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that sounds fab," says Liz, gladly accepting Tony's help getting in the boat. She sits down, leaning back and crossing her legs.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The motorboat purrs through the surging waves, which are a bit choppy due to the rain and wind. The three passengers arrive at a point below the Fisherman's Cove where it might be possible to throw a rope attached to a grappling hook and climb up. This will, of course, require skill and care, being done from a rocking boat. (For the sake of practicality, all three are dressed in more informal clothing than that worn yesterday. No doubt Doctor North is wearing something that might be favored by Honor Blackman or Diana Rigg during their adventures on The Avengers.)

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 Perception = 12 [dice]0[/dice]
Zara examines the ride closely, but is unable to see anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps she is still a bit hung over.
Spoiler:
Just throwing out a thought here; I don't know if, when such an attempt fails, now or in the future, there might be some kind of intervention from your Dark Patron. Maybe only once per Affair. The Dark Patron and the assistance would be of whatever nature you think is appropriate. Help from such a source would involve some kind of payment in kind, I assume; perhaps the Catastrophe to which persons of your class are due?

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:00 am
by jp1885

With the boat bobbing on the swell, Tony ties a grapplng hook to a rope and throws it.
Dexterity roll?,Dexterity 14 [dice]0[/dice]
The throw misses completely, with the hook plopping into the sea. Tony tuts as he tries to pull the rope back in.

"Hmm. Perhaps we should look for a ladder? There's got to be some sort of maintenance hatch surely?"

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A few moments of thought will convince the trio of adventurers that the buildings in the park were maintained from the surface, via the normal entrance. A ladder running up the pier would not only be dangerous, but would allow trespassers to enter the park. Perhaps one of the other two has a steadier arm.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
Just throwing out a thought here; I don't know if, when such an attempt fails, now or in the future, there might be some kind of intervention from your Dark Patron. Maybe only once per Affair. The Dark Patron and the assistance would be of whatever nature you think is appropriate. Help from such a source would involve some kind of payment in kind, I assume; perhaps the Catastrophe to which persons of your class are due?
Victoria Silverwolf,I pictured my patron as wanting to own me,meaning it would sometimes protect me from other harm - perhaps it would intervene if failing the test would put me in danger - then in return it's able to throw catastrophe into some part of my life that's not about it or my art. Regarding what it is, I was thinking of something like an incubus or male analogue of a lamia, that sees my gift as a way of securing its own safety against rivals. (It seems like the kind of motive that would make it easy to pick up another if I somehow get rid of it).

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:28 pm
by Rooter

"Well I don't see any masked lunatics around here," Carson remarks. "I hope you're not going to tell me he only comes out at night, Miss J--Zara." He peers over the edge of the Diving Bells' water tank looking for any signs of degenerate life: liquor bottles, drug needles, beatnik literature.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 am
by SunlessNick

Zara shakes her head. "I don't know when he comes out. I only know what I painted. He's killing, and Liz thinks we can stop him."

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was never very good at throwing things," says Liz. "I throw like a girl, for obvious reasons. If you two will hold the boat steady, I'll give it a try, though." She stands up carefully, picks up the rope and grappling hook, and whirls the hook over her head. When it has built up enough momentum, she lets it fly. Unsurprisingly, she misses. She sits back down and hauls in the rope again.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12 - 3[Bad Throwing Arm] = 9): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Although Jack is able to find cigarette butts and other such trash in the tank, there is nothing else of obvious interest to be seen.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:02 am
by evil_scientist
Bill Ferris

Bill takes the rope and hook. He is still a bit dizzy, but decided to have a go at it.

"Let me give a try..."
Dexterity 13,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
evil_scientist wrote:Bill Ferris

Bill takes the rope and hook. He is still a bit dizzy, but decided to have a go at it.

"Let me give a try..."
Dexterity 13,[dice]216348:0[/dice]
Spoiler:
This is close enough to be a success if you would like to use your Feat of Dexterity for the day.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:35 am
by evil_scientist
Bill puts some extra groove into the throw...
OOC,Yes, using up my feat for today!

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 am
by jp1885
Bill,Sorry, I didn't realise you were with the boating party so apologies for not mentioning you in my previous posts!

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I may have gotten a little bit mixed up as to who is where. Let's go from here. We'll leave the four of you in the boat, Zara and Jack at the Diving Bells.
With a mighty effort, Bill hurls the grappling hook in a perfectly aimed throw that catches onto the top of the pier. The rope is now firmly attached, in no danger of falling free. Now it's just a matter of climbing.
Spoiler:
STR rolls for anybody who wants to climb up successfully, with adjustments as appropriate. Failure means you stay in the boat. You may also choose to stay in the boat if you prefer.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:33 am
by jp1885
Strength 7,[dice]0[/dice]
"Oh I say, well done Bill!"

Tony tugs on the rope but fails to pull himself up. Red-faced, he harrumps.

"Um, perhaps I'd be better off staying on the boat, in case our scuba diving chum turns up."

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:03 pm
by Rooter
Inside the park:

"I'd better scout around in case any watchmen are patrolling," Carson says to Zara. "You wait here." He walks a little way from the Diving Bells, looking around.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz finds that she cannot scale the steep slope either, so she too must remain in the boat.
OOC,Stength roll (12): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Inside the park:

"I'd better scout around in case any watchmen are patrolling," Carson says to Zara. "You wait here." He walks a little way from the Diving Bells, looking around.
In the immediate vicinity are the Fun Forest, a playground for young children; the Sea Circus, where dolphins and other sea creatures put on a show for the visitors; and the Space Wheels, a thrill ride. Besides these outdoor attractions, there are two buildings not far away that formerly held inside exhibits. One is the Westinghouse Enchanted Forest, with displays promoting that company in an entertaining way; and Neptune's
Courtyard, an aquarium.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 am
by Rooter

Carson heads back to Zara. "How about we get indoors in one of those nearby buildings from where we can still keep an eye on the Diving Bells? The Westinghouse or Neptune's Courtyard, you choose."

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:36 pm
by evil_scientist
Bill Ferris
Strength 11,[dice]0[/dice]
Bill shakes off the residual effects of yesterday's drugs, and climbs the rope. At the top, he doesn't stand upright, but first remains prone, to avoid attention. He looks around.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:51 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Fisherman's Cove resembles a New England fishing village; or, at least, the Disney version of one. There is a small restaurant where diners can enjoy seafood in an informal atmosphere. The closest equivalent might be a fish-and-chips shop. There are also small shops; a glassblower that once sold trinkets in the shape of sea animals, a place selling sea shells (many of them only plastic imitations) and the like. All of these places are currently boarded up. There is no sign of anyone around.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:00 pm
by SunlessNick
Rooter wrote:Image

Carson heads back to Zara. "How about we get indoors in one of those nearby buildings from where we can still keep an eye on the Diving Bells? The Westinghouse or Neptune's Courtyard, you choose."

Zara briefly looks up into the rain clouds. "We're already wet, so it might as well be the aquarium," she jokes.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:02 pm
by evil_scientist
Bill Ferris
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Fisherman's Cove resembles a New England fishing village; or, at least, the Disney version of one. There is a small restaurant where diners can enjoy seafood in an informal atmosphere. The closest equivalent might be a fish-and-chips shop. There are also small shops; a glassblower that once sold trinkets in the shape of sea animals, a place selling sea shells (many of them only plastic imitations) and the like. All of these places are currently boarded up. There is no sign of anyone around.
If it's possible, Bill tries to assist the others to climb up too.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:05 pm
by jp1885
Tony isn't proud enough to refuse the offer of Bill's help if it means he can climb up onto Fisherman's Cove. Naturally he will help Bill to help Liz too.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Fisherman's Cove resembles a New England fishing village; or, at least, the Disney version of one. There is a small restaurant where diners can enjoy seafood in an informal atmosphere. The closest equivalent might be a fish-and-chips shop. There are also small shops; a glassblower that once sold trinkets in the shape of sea animals, a place selling sea shells (many of them only plastic imitations) and the like. All of these places are currently boarded up. There is no sign of anyone around.
Spoiler:
If you would like to use your Feat of Strength for the day, you can haul them all up. Of course, that leaves the matter of what to do with the boat, which can be tied to the pier; but how to get back down to it?

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The main entrance to Neptune's Courtyard has been broken open, so it's easy enough to get in. As soon as you are inside, you see a large, round structure in the middle of the vast room. It has many big, tall glass windows, through which visitors used to view various kinds of sea life, divers interacting with colorful fish, and women dressed as mermaids. Now it's completely empty, except for some equipment and decor left behind when the park was shut down. Hidden from view is the other side of the structure. (Visitors used to circle around it to see everything.) Echoing in the room is the sound of raucous male laughter.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:51 am
by SunlessNick

Zara glances as Jack, clearly unsure whether they should stay or try the Enchanted Forest instead.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:22 pm
by jp1885

Tony is beginning to think that his swashbuckling plan is more Charlie Drake than Sir Francis Drake. He shouts up to Bill.

"Listen, if you can haul up Lew and Dr. North, I'll take the boat around the park and see if I can find anything interesting. Then I'll come back here and wait a while. If need be you can exit the park on land and I'll return the boat alone."

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:38 pm
by Rooter

Carson motions for Zara to stay silent then moves as quietly as possible toward the unseen other side of the aquarium structure, trying to discern where the male laughter is coming from.
Spoiler:
If a roll is required he will use his Sneak ability but I'm sure you already knew that.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:33 am
by Starspawn338
Lew doesn't believe that he can actually get up without Bill's assistance but he will try.
OOC,Strength 6 [dice]0[/dice]
However, for whatever reason, he is able to pull himself up to the top of the pier.

"Let's help up the young lady, shall we?"

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf

Carson motions for Zara to stay silent then moves as quietly as possible toward the unseen other side of the aquarium structure, trying to discern where the male laughter is coming from.
Spoiler:
If a roll is required he will use his Sneak ability but I'm sure you already knew that.
Spoiler:
DEX = 9 + 1 SNEAK = 10[dice]0[/dice]
Despite his best effort, Jack's attempt to sneak up on the men fails. Just as he edges around the corner of the central structure, he is able to see a group of bikers, but not the same as before.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
There are three of them. Jack accidentally kicks some stray bit of litter, probably a beer can, and makes enough noise to draw their attention.

"Hey!" one them shouts. "That guy looks like the fuzz!"

The three pull out chains and switchblades and rush at him.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:36 am
by Rooter

Carson pulls out his pistol but thinks better of taking on three hooligans with no respect for authority by himself. He turns and runs for the exit, yelling to Zara. "Let's get out of here! Maybe we can lose em in the Enchanted Forest." He heads for the other building.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:25 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Probably because they spot the pistol, and suspect that Jack will bring in reinforcements, the gang gives up the chase and lets the pair run off. A few shouts of "Dirty Pig!" and "Chicken!" and "We'll be back!" echo inside Neptune's Courtyard. A quick glance back reveals that the three men run off in another direction.

The entrance to the Enchanted Forest is hanging open, apparently more by accident than design. There's an old brochure on the ground just outside, explaining what the attraction was all about.
Now we'll see what the future looks like with a musical trip through the Westinghouse Enchanted Forest. Jack and Jill are our guides as they show us a world of wonders with a Dream House and tomorrow's Atomic City and a reproduction of the "Nautilus," the world's first nuclear submarine with its Westinghouse atomic engine.
There's a conveyor belt that took the visitors past these exhibits, each one narrated by robots, looking like a couple of fresh-faced, clean-cut teenagers, who are evidently Jack and Jill. It's impossible not to be reminded of similar attractions at Pacific Ocean Park's big brother Disneyland.

Although it's nearly pitch dark inside, a whirring sound reveals that the conveyor belt, surprisingly, is still operating.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:15 pm
by SunlessNick

"Sorry about that," Zara says, aware that the aquarium was her choice. She doesn't bring up them calling Jack a "pig," though he must be aware there's little chance she wouldn't have heard it - instead she points at the escalator, saying "Weird that's still going."

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is also possible to hear the recorded, mechanized voices of the robot hosts, although they are badly distorted and slowed down, like a phonograph set at the wrong speed.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:51 am
by evil_scientist
Starspawn338 wrote:Image
Lew doesn't believe that he can actually get up without Bill's assistance but he will try.
OOC,Strength 6 [dice]216472:0[/dice]
However, for whatever reason, he is able to pull himself up to the top of the pier.

"Let's help up the young lady, shall we?"
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
If you would like to use your Feat of Strength for the day, you can haul them all up. Of course, that leaves the matter of what to do with the boat, which can be tied to the pier; but how to get back down to it?
Keeper,I've already used my Feat of Strength, to get myself up... Is there enough rope to tie the boat to the pier, and then leave some more rope dangling from the top as an escape route?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:10 am
by Rooter

"Yeah, that is weird," Carson replies to Zara, putting his pistol away. "Maybe we should take a tour. If there's power then the lights should still be working, too. Do you see a switch anywhere?"

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Bill:
Spoiler:
Actually you used your Feat of Dexterity to throw the grappling hook up; you climbed just using an ordinary strength saving roll.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf

"Yeah, that is weird," Carson replies to Zara, putting his pistol away. "Maybe we should take a tour. If there's power then the lights should still be working, too. Do you see a switch anywhere?"
A switch is quickly found and flickering lights come on, about half of them burnt out. The slowed-down, incomprehensible narration continues, as the conveyor belt carries the two past displays of all the wonderful things Westinghouse is going to provide in tomorrow's Dream House and the Atomic City of the future. (There's a model of an so-called "electronic oven" that somehow uses microwaves to cook food. Sounds crazy, but you can actually buy one these days, if you can afford five hundred bucks.)

Eventually they come to the small model of the USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear-powered submarine, its engines proudly built by Westinghouse. The conveyor belt comes to a sudden halt. The drone of the robot voices cuts off, to be replaced by a voice coming from somewhere overhead.

"Ah, my old rival. Velcome. I see you haff girlfriend, da? You vish to make me jealous, hmm?"

The slamming shut of the entrance and exit doors echoes through the exhibit hall.

"How you find dis place I not know. I soon find out, and all else you know. First, please, you drop veapons to floor. Den ve talk."

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am
by Rooter

"Natasha Bolowski!" Carson says, gritting his teeth in memory of that night of pleasure and pain in the early years of the Cold War when he had almost succumbed to her temptations -- only for her to try to disembowel him with a corkscrew. "She's, uh, my ex-wife," he explains for Zara's benefit. "She gets a little vindictive like this, sometimes. It's the vodka." He takes out his pistol and addresses the voice. "She's not my girlfriend, Natasha, she's just some punk artist. Let her go and I'll drop the gun. Then we can talk, just you and me."

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 am
by SunlessNick

Zara looks between Jack and this Natasha and starts edging in the direction of the door (intending to get the others for help).

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:44 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 1 DANGER = 10[dice]0[/dice]
"Oh, you tink I fall for dat old trick, dahlink? Dis girl is Yankee spy also, I tink. Please to be throwing pistol on ground or you see vat people's science of great Soviet republic can do."

With a hissing sound, a bright scarlet beam of light emerges from the periscope of the submarine model. It slowly turns in the direction of the two.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:57 pm
by Rooter

"All right, all right." Carson drops the pistol quickly. "Switch that goddamn thing off."

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:30 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The beam of light cuts off. From a part of the wall which seemed solid, an unsuspected door slides open. A dark-haired woman in a black catsuit emerges holding a pistol. Behind her are two men, both blond and bland, similarly armed.

"A vise decision. Perhaps ve haff no trouble."

She faces Zara.

"You I not know. I tink you may not be so stubborn as my old friend. Vy you are here, and vat you know about dis place?"

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:07 pm
by jp1885

Tony watches as Lew climbs up to Fisherman's Cove.

"Bravo old chap!" He grabs the rope and turns to Liz. "It seems we must suffer the ignomy of being hauled up Dr. North. Ladies first?"

He hands the rope to Liz and sets to lashing the boat the pier.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:09 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:She faces Zara.

"You I not know. I tink you may not be so stubborn as my old friend. Vy you are here, and vat you know about dis place?"

"I d-don't know what you two are to each other," Zara says, "but it's not anything to do with why we're here."

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Liz, taking hold of the rope and testing that it can hold her weight before starting to climb. "I trust you to avert your eyes."

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:31 am
by evil_scientist
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Bill:
Spoiler:
Actually you used your Feat of Dexterity to throw the grappling hook up; you climbed just using an ordinary strength saving roll.
Keeper,Ah, right! I thought it was just a single use of either Str or Dex, not each of them.
Mr. Handy wrote:"All right," says Liz, taking hold of the rope and testing that it can hold her weight before starting to climb. "I trust you to avert your eyes."
Bill averts his eyes -- but holds on to the rope, and pulls to assist Liz in the climbing. Unfortunately, his strength is insufficient for the task.
Strength 11,Check: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:01 am
by jp1885
OOC,I'm probably wrong, but can't Bill use his feat of strength to pull us up? (Having used his feat of Dex to climb). Actually, does every player get to use a feat, or is it an ability? (Still finding my way around the rules lol)

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:04 am
by evil_scientist
jp1885 wrote:
OOC,I'm probably wrong, but can't Bill use his feat of strength to pull us up? (Having used his feat of Dex to climb). Actually, does every player get to use a feat, or is it an ability? (Still finding my way around the rules lol)
OOC,It's a special feat some character classes get (like Bill, the Demon Hunter). It gives a +3 - it wouldn't be enough to pass the check with my roll of 16.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:23 am
by Rooter

"There's a killer on the loose," Carson adds to Zara's words. "Picasso here thinks he's holing up somewhere in the park ready to strike again. Maybe you know something about that, huh, Natasha? Sadistic violence is kind of your specialty, after all."

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:24 am
by jp1885
evil_scientist wrote:
jp1885 wrote:
OOC,It's a special feat some character classes get (like Bill, the Demon Hunter). It gives a +3 - it wouldn't be enough to pass the check with my roll of 16.
OOC,Ah, gotcha - thanks!

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 am
by jp1885

Seeing that there's no way that he and Liz can get up to Fisherman's Cove, Tony quickly unties the boat.
"What do you say Dr. North - a quick turn around the pier, or shall we return the boat and meet the others on the landward side?"

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We've got the boat," says Liz, sitting down and leaning back again. "We may as well use it."
OOC,I thought VIctoria had said that the Feat of Strength would result in automatic success, but you only get one Feat per day, whether you use it for Strength or Dexterity.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:46 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Fair enough. Either way, looks like we're going on a boat ride!

Tony grins. "Beats climbing eh?" He shouts up to Bill and Lew. "Would you chaps care to explore a little? We'll meet you by the entrance after we've taken a turn around the pier."

He gives them a wave and then, starting the motor, guns the boat slowly around the pier, looking for anything of interest.

"Keep an eye our m'dear!"

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I always do," says Liz, watching their surroundings carefully. "I've always had sharp eyes. It helps in my line of work."

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 am
by Starspawn338
"Well, I guess it's just you and I then... Bill is it? Lew says quietly as the boat pulls away. "Where shall we start?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I thought VIctoria had said that the Feat of Strength would result in automatic success, but you only get one Feat per day, whether you use it for Strength or Dexterity.
Spoiler:
This does get confusing. Since the initial attempt to throw the grappling hook just barely missed, I allowed the use of the Feat of Dexterity. I realize now that that there should really only be one Feat of Strength OR Dexterity per day, not both. It does indeed add + 3 to DEX or STR for one use, which was automatic success for throwing the grappling hook since the saving roll just missed by one. Since the other failed anyway, the fact that I should not have allowed both in one day is a moot point for now.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Natasha considers the words of the two for a moment. She addresses the two men with her in Russian. Jack will, of course, be able to understand.

-- They seem to be telling the truth. You remember what happened to Marya. There is some Yankee madman about. It has nothing to do with our plans. --

"I see," she says to the Americans. "Maybe dis time ve vork together, for now. You find dis killer, please. Your bumbling fascist police thugs do not know dis, but ve lost one of our best agents to dis lunatic. Vhen ve find her body . . . vell, it vas not pretty sight. You go now, but remember; ve vill be vatching."

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
From their position near the closed shops and restaurant of Fisherman's Cove, Bill and Lew can also see several small amusement park thrill rides to the left, even more beyond that, and a roller coaster in the distance. Behind them and to the right is ocean. Directly ahead is the Aragon Ballroom. Formerly a showroom for Lawrence Welk and his orchestra, as well as other performers, it has served as a roller skating rink until recently. Currently shut, rumor has it that it is being renovated into a rock 'n' roll concert hall.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As Liz and Tony pull away from the pier, they can see that the open sea lies ahead and to their left. To the right lies the rest of the park. Various small thrill rides of a familiar sort; then, as the park forms a sort of peninsula pointing out to sea, the large and complex Mystery Island attraction. The boat would have to head around the peninsula to see anything else. All of this, of course is held above sea level by piers, to prevent unpaid entrance. Experience teaches the two that gaining access to the park by sea requires both skill and luck.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 am
by jp1885

Tony can't help but laugh as he guns the boat around the tip of the peninsula. He's always loved boating, but never thought he'd be doing so in such bizarre circumstances!

He brings the vessel around to the other side, looking for anything unusual.

"See anything Dr. North? Or may I call you Liz?"

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am
by Rooter

"And I vill be vatching, I mean, I will be watching you, too, Natasha," Carson replies. "Come on, let's get outta here," he says to Zara. "At least we know the Russkies aren't responsible for the deaths. Let's get back to the Diving Bells and see if we can find any clues."

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:36 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara follows Jack - while she didn't understand the foreign words, she hasn't forgotten that the Russian woman called him a spy.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's no need for formality," says Liz with a smile. "Liz will do nicely. I could go by Lady Elizabeth if I really wanted to, but that's always seemed a bit pretentious to me. When I am being formal, I do prefer Dr. North. Being a lady is merely an accident of my birth, but I earned my doctorate." She takes another look around.
OOC,Wisdom roll (10 + 3[Sharp Eyes] = 13) looking for a way to enter the park: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Jack and Zora return to the Diving Bells, which seem unchanged from before. The only obvious way to explore it further would be to jump into the water.

As Tony directs the boat around the tip of the peninsula, Liz notices something. This part of the park is where one end of the Ocean Skyway ride is located. This consists of transparent spheres which were carried over the water, along the edge of the park, from the center to the end of the jutting point of land. It seems to be just barely possible to reach one of the derelict spheres from the boat, given some degree of skill and a little luck. If this could be done, there is the further problem of where to go from there. The sphere just hangs over the ocean, waiting for someone to operate the cable system that carries it from place to place.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 am
by jp1885

"Dr. North it is then. I'm all for equality - I like to think grand-mama didn't chain herself to the railings for nothing!"

When Liz spots the spheres, Tony follows the direction of her gaze.

"Hm, what do you think? Considering our recent form when it comes to climbing, is it worth it?"

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am
by Rooter

"Well I don't feel like going for a swim in that," Carson says to Zara at the Diving Bells. "But if the machines in the Enchanted Forest still worked maybe one of these diving bells might too. Do you see any controls?"

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:40 pm
by SunlessNick

"I can't imagine the killer wanting to go in there either." Still, Zara looks around.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 Perception = 12[dice]0[/dice]
There does not seem to be any obvious way to access the controls that once operated the Diving Bells. Perhaps they are located somewhere else entirely, where an operator could work them without interfering with the riders.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I shouldn't think so," says Liz. "Even if we managed to get up there without winding up in the drink, unless someone in the park knew to operate the Ocean Skyway, we'd never get into the park. Still, something to file away for later reference." She smiles. "I should like to meet your grand-mama. She sounds grand!"

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Continuing along the peninsula, Tony and Liz pass by the Sea Circus, with large tanks where dolphins and other sea creatures performed tricks for the audience. Beyond that is the shore. There would not seem to be any obvious way to get into the park from the ocean without some climbing involved.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:43 am
by jp1885

"Hah! Maybe you'll meet her one day - the old girl will live to be a thousand!"

As the boat bobs in the water, Tony inspects the length of the park as it juts out into the sea. He scowls.

"No way of getting in, no mysterious scuba divers, no serial killers paddling along the shore. I think this, as they say over here, is a 'bust'. Let's finish messing about in boats eh?"

He turns the wheel and motors back around the park to Fisherman's Cove. If Bill and Lew are still there, he'll shout up that he's taking the boat back, before heading to the Big Kahuna to return it.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, time to head back," says Liz, leaning back and admiring the view.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Back at the Surf Shack, Tony and Liz find the Big Kahuna reading a local tabloid newspaper. It's folded back so they can't make out the front page story, but they can see a blurry black-and-white photograph that seems to look like the woman who called herself Moonflower, a little younger and dressed in more conservative clothes.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello again," says Liz. "Anything interesting in the news?"

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Oh, this and that. Russians landed some kind of gizmo on Venus. Riot at some college in Wisconsin. Local hippie chick gone missing, with her clothes left by one of the canals. The usual."

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am
by jp1885

"That doesn't sound good... Please may I borrow your paper for a moment my good man?"

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:58 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"No problem, pal. Just lemme keep the comics. Linus is still waitin' for the Great Pumpkin."

Venice Police are investigating the disappearance of Mary Lou Bronstein, nineteen, of Los Angeles. Items belonging to the young woman, including clothing and narcotics, were found near one of the city's famous canals. A source who prefers to remain anonymous claims that she may be the second victim of a murderer the authorities are privately calling "The Embalmer." There is no official word as of yet if the case is being treated as a homicide. Investigators are sweeping the canals for any sign of the woman's body. Bronstein was last seen frequenting Sospiri, a local hangout for nonconformists. Police are seeking a group of individuals seen leaving with the facility with her last night.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz reads over Tony's shoulder, raising an eyebrow. "We'll need to go find the others after we return the boat," she says. "They've got to know about this."

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 pm
by jp1885

Tony sighs when he reads about Moonflower's disappearance. If only he had managed to snag the diver with his cane last night...
He returns the paper with a nod of thanks, before turning to Liz. A worried look replaces his usual bonhomie.

"I agree. There's also a chance that the young lady may still be alive and is being held in the park. Let us make haste!"

He tells the Big Kahuna to warn any female friends to stay away from the canal before heading to the front entrance of the park with Liz.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz hurries with Tony to the front entrance once they've returned the boat.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Tony and Liz are easily able to make their way through the broken turnstile, now that the others have entered that way. They find Jack and Zara at the Diving Bells. It's not immediately obvious what area the others are exploring.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz fills them in on what they've learned. "She may still be alive for now," she says, "but we'll have to move fast if we're to find her before it's too late. The police are also looking for us because we were seen leaving with her last night. We'll want to go see them, before they find us the hard way, but first let's see if we can locate her here. Were you able to find the scene in the painting?"

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:01 am
by Starspawn338
Lew and Bill wander the landward perimeter of the park until they reach the entrance.
OOC,If we see the others, we will join up with them.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
All of the investigators eventually wind up together at the Diving Bells, sharing what information they have.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 am
by jp1885

Tony listens intently as the others describe their experiences. Nothing doing at Fisherman's Cove whilst Neptune's Courtyard seems to have been full of punks, which means the killer is unlikely to lurk there. The same can be said for the Enchanted Forest, but for an entirely different reason...

He raises an eyebrow at the description of Jack's 'ex-wife'. Fortunately, his need to save Moonflower overrides his desire to stop Natasha. However he fixes Jack with a meaningful look.

"It seems we have a mutual acquaintance my dear boy - perhaps we can discuss the matter at a more convenient time?"

He smiles ruefully at the group.

"Well my plan of splitting up seems to have failed spectacularly, so I am happy for someone else to suggest our next move."

He strolls over to the diving bells, leaving the others to debate this. Scanning the dirty water, he idly pokes his stick into the pool.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
The end of the walking stick catches upon a drifting piece of trash that had, up to now, gone unnoticed. Once retrieved, it proves to be a black leather glove covered with deep red stains.

Some time having gone by during all of this, the sun is near to setting. The rain falls harder as a cold wind blows in from the Pacific.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:19 am
by jp1885

Tony fishes the glove out of the pool and, keeping it on the end of his stick, shows the others.

"I say, look what I've found. Zara, didn't the chap in your painting wear something like this?"

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 am
by SunlessNick

"Yes he did," Zara replies. "Maybe he throws them in here if they're too... if he can't clean them. Moonflower was nice. We have to stop him. It's going to be dark soon... what Liz said about being bait... I can do that too.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Are you sure, Zara?" asks Liz, concerned. "It''s very dangerous, and I wouldn't ask you to do it - not that I'm so eager to do it myself, but I'm willing. First maybe we can find the killer's lair. It's probably here in the park, perhaps nearby considering that the painting shows this scene and his glove was here. Perhaps the Diving Bells could actually take us there? Well spotted finding that glove, Tony. We'll want to get that to the police. They have fingerprint experts. Did you know that you can take fingerprints from the inside of a glove?"

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:46 am
by jp1885

"You're a mine of information Dr. North - I didn't know that." Tony grins. "I should definitely brush up on my forensics. Perhaps someone has a plastic bag we could put the glove in?"

He inspects the diving bell, giving it a light tap and trying to ascertain if it's been used recently.

"I'm also a bit of a dunce when it comes to mechanics, but if we could get this working I agree that we should see what lurks in the deep. We know from experience that it's very difficult to access the park via the surface of the sea, so our scuba diver would have to get here from underneath - perhaps this is how he gets up and down."

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:13 am
by Rooter

"I'll take care of that," Carson says, taking the glove and putting it away in one of the plastic evidence bags he keeps on his person.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As darkness falls, red flashing lights illuminate the park. The shriek of a siren approaches, then grows silent when quite near. The sound of car doors opening and being shut can be heard, followed by multiple footsteps heading in the direction of the investigators.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:40 am
by SunlessNick

"I don't know," Zara replies to Liz. "It's scary, but... now we're here, I can't just-" - at the sirens, "Wait, is that cops?" - she looks at Jack as she asks.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am
by jp1885

"Yes, I'm afraid we might be the prime suspects..."

Tony sighs, wiping down his walking stick.

"Oh well, faint heart never won fair maid eh?"

He clambers into the diving bell and inspects the inside.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Or rather, attempts to. But the mechanism of the latch seems to be too difficult to open. At least he not much wetter than he was to begin with.

The beams of flashlights appear from the approaching figures. It's time to run, hide, or confront whoever is coming.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:04 am
by Rooter

"I'll talk to the cops," Carson says, heading out to meet them.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll go with you," says Liz, following him. "I can be very persuasive."

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 am
by jp1885

Tony climbs off the diving bell, feeling somewhat foolish. All too aware of his bedraggled state, he decides to hang back and let Carson and Dr. North handle the police.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:29 pm
by evil_scientist
Bill Ferris

Bill waits in the background, not too eager to talk to the cops.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:13 am
by Starspawn338
"Well, since we probably aren't supposed to be in a closed park, I think it best that we don't go outside. Lew looks for an unobtrusive spot to wait.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A pair of uniformed policemen approach the investigators. Each carries a flashlight and a pistol aimed in the general direction of the group. They wear full rain gear as well, and seem more annoyed than aggressive.

"OK, folks," one says. "Party's over. Trespassing is still a crime in this jurisdiction, you know. We're gonna have to take you in, so don't try anything funny."

"You got the right to remain silent, to have an attorney represent you, and to know that anything you say can be used as evidence against you," says the other, in a bored voice. "Damn Supreme Court. Now state your full names and what business you got here."

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:51 am
by Rooter

Carson draws the policeman aside, speaking quietly as he shows his government ID. "I'm monitoring these people as part of an international counter-terrorism operation. I have a suspected link with a domestic homicide, though." He hands over the glove in the bag, briefly explaining its provenance. "I need you to take this to your forensics people and see if you can get a known-offender match. I'll give you a number to call my people on. For now you can consider these premises under CIA jurisdiction."

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:00 pm
by jp1885

Tony watches Carson converse with the police, hoping that they'll recognise his authority. He cranes his neck to get a better look at them to see if either cop is the one he befriended at Sospiri.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:42 pm
by Starspawn338
Lew waits for Carson to deal with the situation.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Dr. Elizabeth North," says Liz with a smile. "We're here investigating a series of recent murders, in the hopes of helping you stop them. That glove will have the killer's fingerprints on the inside."
OOC,Charisma (17 + 3[Charming] = 20) roll: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA rolls for everybody, except Liz, who has already succeeded. I'll try to be as generous with adjustments as possible.

Zara = 13 + 3 for Beautiful = 16[dice]0[/dice]

Bill = 15 [dice]1[/dice]

Jack = 9 + 3 for Government Contact [dice]2[/dice]

Lew = 11 -3 for Suspected by Squares but + 3 for Well Spoken = 11 [dice]3[/dice]

Tony = 13 + 3 for Well Spoken = 16[dice]4[/dice]
It comes as something of a surprise that the cops, who have never been encountered before, seem ready to dismiss everyone except Jack and Zara with no more than a warning.

"I've seen phony ID's before, pal," one cop says to Jack, where the others can't overhear. "I can't just take your word that you're some kind of secret agent. You don't look like Sean Connery to me. We'll have to go to the station to check out your story. That goes for your girlfriend, too. We got a witness says you two have been sneaking around here for a while. Your pals here can go with us if they want to. Otherwise, they're free to go."

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:05 am
by SunlessNick

Zara hugs herself, but acquiesces to going with the cops. "Be careful, please," she says to Liz, apparently having siezed on the other woman as a friend.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:01 pm
by jp1885

Tony frowns as the police accost Carson and Zara.

"Officers, I hope your superiors won't go too hard on you for arresting an intelligence operative. At the very least, please treat the evidence we have found for you with the utmost seriousness."

He turns to the others.

"What now hm? I don't think they'll allow us to tarry here. Perhaps we should consider our plan to set a trap for the killer by the canal? There are still enough of us to handle it, especially if we could find a net or somesuch with which to snag our scuba diver."

Taking stock of his sodden attire, he sighs.

"I suppose a ruined crushed velvet jacket would do at a push..."

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:18 pm
by Rooter

"Sweet weeping Jesus," Carson curses to the policeman in exasperation. "I suppose you think I shot JFK too? Fine, I'll come to the station and clear this up. At least there I can get the glove looked at personally and get you guys off our backs. And like the limey says watch you get your ass handed to you by your superiors."

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I will, Zara. Take care," says Liz before speaking to Tony. "All right, let's set up our trap. It looks like I'll be the bait after all. I'm sure we can buy a net. Didn't the Big Kahuna sell fishing gear?"

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The cops warn the others to stay out of the park from now on.

Jack and Zara:
Spoiler:
At the station, Jack is able to prove his identity. Unavoidably, Zara finds out that he's a CIA agent, straining their relationship.

As a gesture of apology, the officer who spoke to Jack rushes the glove to the fingerprint lab. Meanwhile, he takes the two down to the morgue.

"We've got a Jane Doe down here. Fits the pattern of the other homicides. Figure you'd want to take a look."

It's obvious he thinks Zara is an agent as well.

Jack quickly recognizes the body as that of a Russian agent known to be working with Natasha. She bears the same multiple cuts as the other known victim, as well as a peculiar discoloration of the skin due to an effort to embalm her.

After this unpleasant sight, the cop explains that the fingerprints should be back from the lab the next day. The two are free to go.
Everybody else:
Spoiler:
Nets and such are easily obtained early the next morning. All are aware that the cops will be watching the park for intruders.
Everybody:
Spoiler:
Stayed tuned to your All Hits, All the Time station for the hottest 45's in the US of A! Coming up next is the latest smash platter from Procul Harum!