Ch. 16f Tomorrow is Another Day

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Ch. 16f Tomorrow is Another Day

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sorry to hear that," says William. "I'm William Preston. My friends and I are only here for a week. We heard you've arrived here fairly recently, and we wanted to ask you a few questions."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

The man frowned. “I don’t know where you got your information from, Mr Preston,” he said, swaying slightly. “But there’s been Trahans living here in Johnson Bayou for almost 200 years!”

He squinted at them, then shook his head. “I wus working in N’Orleans for three months. That’s where we met. Well, we met in a bar, truth be told. It was love at first sight and we wus married before I came home again. She came with me, naturally, but she never settled here. Too quiet for her, and her and mama didn’t get on.” He shrugged defiantly. ”You happy now? You got what you wanted?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Did she say anything to you before she left? Leave a note or anything of the sort?" Alex wonders if there may have been foul play involved.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Perhaps, before we continue this conversation, we should step inside," Ivy suggests. "If you'll permit us Mr. Trahan."

She looks around, before leaning in to take the man into her confidence (and steeling herself against his boozy breath).

"The oil company is not happy with us poking around and we all know how un-neighbourly they can be to you good townsfolk."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My apologies," says William. "It was your wife who moved here recently. You came back with her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Trahan frowned at Ivy’s suggestion that they should step inside. “Who are you people?” he asked, wondering why he should let some complete strangers into his house.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"We're journalists," Ivy declares. "Investigating how the oil company is destroying your community. Spoiling the land, harassing the locals..." she pauses for effect.

"...turning the heads of young women..." she adds, as if the oil field was responsible for the breakdown of the man's marriage.

"We'll pay for good stories of course," she continues, adding the promise of booze money to sweeten the deal.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

It wasn’t difficult to see the look on Trahan’s face change when Ivy mentioned money. He looked at his visitors for a moment then pushed open the front door.

Inside was tidier than expected, although the blinds were drawn, shutting out the daylight. If his wife had managed to stamp anything of her personality or her femininity in her short stay, it must have been banished after she left because the decor was that of a committed bachelor. A couple of cheap prints sat uninspiringly next to the fireplace, above which an antique hunting rifle was mounted.

As Trahan opened the blinds, he bade them take a seat, while he whipped away the drinks tumbler and ashtray that were sat on the occasional table by an armchair. “OK, so what can I tell you?” he asked.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex repeats his question. "Did she say anything prior to leaving?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What do you know about Brian Tucker, and his death?" asks William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Trahan glanced at a photograph frame that lay face down on the table. “She said she was bored, wanted to go places. If you’ve been here more than a couple of days, then you’ll know there ain’t much ‘going out’ places here. Church and a potluck on Saturday night, if you’re lucky.”

“Me? I’m happy with that, but she’s a city girl and couldn’t get used to it. Her and mama fell out too, and that didn’t help. Mama’s got used to looking after me since my dad passed and she was feeling like a spare part once I got married.”

He looked at William. ”Who’s Brian Tucker?” he asked.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Did she leave any belongings behind?" Ivy asks

"And would you mind if I took a look at her photograph?" she reaches forward to pick up the picture frame.

"Does your mother live nearby?" she continues.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Trahan frowned but nodded at Ivy’s request, handing her the photo frame. Turning it over, she saw a photograph of Trahan and a rather pretty young woman, probably ten years younger than him. Although not formally posed, it looked to be on their wedding day. She had flowers in her hair and Trahan looked smart, clean shaven and his hair neatly oiled in place.

“Mama lives just a few doors down,” said Trahan. ”My wife didn’t have much to bring and I don’t think she left anything behind.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Mr. Tucker was one of the oil workers. He developed a fear of snakes that turned out to be well advised; he was found dead from being bitten a number of times."

Alex is beginning to suspect this is all irrelevant to their mission here, but remains polite. "You both seemed so happy then. I'm sorry for the way things turned out. Have you considered following her to the city and seeing if you could work something out? You don't seem happy here.."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William knows Alex means well, but he doesn't think Trahan will appreciate it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Trahan shook his head. “I heard of a man being bitten, but didn’t know his name,” he said.

“As for my wife, she said I could go with her but she was quite clear that Mama wouldn’t be welcome.” He shrugged, sadly. ”I was caught between a rock and a hard place, and I couldn’t leave Mama. Not on her own. She wouldn’t admit it, but her health ain’t great and she needs me around.”

He shook his head again, turning away so his visitors couldn’t see the tears that pricked his eyes. After a moment, he reached out and took a Bible from off the shelf. “This was her’s. It isn’t much use to me,” he said, handing it to Ivy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You might be surprised by how useful a Bible could be," says William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Trahan nodded. “You can keep it. My folks brought me up right, so I’ve my own over there,” he said, pointing at the bookshelves.

“I ain’t been to church since my wife left but perhaps it’s time again. She was so pretty… … I was so proud to have her on my arm. And we know what they say about pride…” He looked around, as if seeing the room through a fresh pair of eyes. ”If you folks will excuse me, I think I’ve got some tidying up to do.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says William. "Going back to church is a good idea. I think they can help you there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

While the menfolk talk, Ivy takes a look through the bible. Assuming it is a normal bible, she looks for annotations, underscored passages and other marginalia.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”