Page 1 of 1

Ch.16e Night Moves (Alex & Ivy)

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:54 pm
by Philulhu
Friday March 13th, 1931 7.30pm
Hebert House, Middle Ridge Road, Johnson Bayou, Cameron Parish, Louisiana

Aside from the Hebert children reading their schoolbooks in the living room, the house was quiet, with Mrs Hebert having gone to the evening service. Alex and Ivy had taken up position in the front room, where they had sat in darkness so that their eyes accustomed to the gloom.

The sky was getting very dark by the time they spotted movement on the road in front of Mrs Hebert’s house. They couldn’t be sure it was Nashoba but there was definitely someone out there, making their way past the house and down the road.

Re: Ch.16e Night Moves (Alex & Ivy)

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:22 pm
by Silver Priest
"Time to go." Alex looks at Ivy. "The question is how we wish to play this. I think we should first identify that it's Nashoba and follow him. If we're caught we can use our cover story as journalists. If there's any indication he's performing occult activity, we act to stop it."

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:35 pm
by jp1885

"Quite so," replies Ivy, hurriedly rising to grab her coat and bag, checking her revolver and nightstick are ensconced therein. "Now is the hour."

She quickly turns to the children.

"Please inform your mother we might be back late," she says curtly.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:09 am
by Philulhu
The girls promised they would do as requested and let Alex and Ivy out through the side door so it wouldn’t be too obvious they had gone out. They followed the path to the front gate, which thankfully didn’t squeak when they opened it. They emerged onto the road, peering up and down for a sign of the person that had just passed by the house.

Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:50 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:17 pm
by jp1885

Ivy’s eyes quickly adjust to the dark.

[48] = 48
Spot hidden 65 1d100: [ 48 ] = 48

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:04 pm
by Philulhu
1d100

The person they had seen making their way down the darkened road could have been Nashoba but neither Alex nor Ivy had actually seen the man - they only had his description to go one.

In any event, the shadowy figure continued down the road, being swallowed by the darkness.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:10 am
by Silver Priest
Alex starts to follow in the figure's wake, hesitating only briefly.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:03 am
by jp1885

Ivy follows closely behind Alex.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:40 am
by Philulhu
The figure ahead seemed to be carrying something, something heavy by the sounds of it. Although his passage was noiseless, there was certainly an amount of huffing and puffing coming from the dark road ahead of them…

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:10 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex is torn. He's not much for stealth, and he doubts Ivy is either.

He continues to get closer, trying to determine what it is the gentleman was carrying, or at least make sure it was indeed Nashoba. If the man spotted them he decides he would play himself off as a concerned citizen offering his aid to someone struggling to carry something.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:15 pm
by jp1885

At the risk of seeming repetitive, Ivy follows suit, trying to look nonchalant.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:16 pm
by Philulhu
1d100

Whoever was ahead was seemingly oblivious to their presence as they continued their way down the ill-lit road towards the main part of the small town.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:47 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex decides he needs to act. If they were heading to the main part of town, they were not concerned about stealth, which led to some concerning implications if it was in fact Nashoba and he was involved in all this.

He moves as close as he can and decides its time to play the concerned citizen. "Do you need some help there sir?"

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:51 pm
by jp1885

Ivy attempts to smile encouragingly, whilst keeping an eye out for anyone else lurking in the shadows.

[49] = 49
Spot Hidden 65 1d100: [ 49 ] = 49

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:48 pm
by Philulhu
In front of them, Alex and Ivy saw a slightly startled, older man, of Native American appearance, wearing a traditional buckskin jacket. ”Who’s there?!” he snapped. ”You’ll do a man a mischief, sneaking up on him in the dark!”

Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:31 am
by Silver Priest
"Very sorry to startle you Sir," Alex says, continuing to move towards the man in a hopefully non threatening manner. "We're new to the town and felt like taking a nighttime stroll to aid our constitutions. We saw you struggling there and thought to offer you some assistance if you needed it." He smiles.

1d100

1d100

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:22 am
by Philulhu
”More white folks,” the man replied, scowling. ”I’ll be sure I can manage,” he said defensively.

He appears to be carrying a round, metal fuel can.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:45 am
by Silver Priest
"I'm sure you can as well, but it's really no trouble." Alex says, a big smile on his face. "That can looks heavy!"

"Hey now... begging your pardon, but you wouldn't happen to be Mr. Nashoba, would you? Our friends mentioned buying you a meal earlier and said you all had an interesting discussion. I'm Alex, this is Ivy. We've been talking with Mr. Halpert, who was full of complaints about the oil company around here. Frankly seeing the foreman there I can't really blame him; they seem very disruptive to this entire community.."

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:24 pm
by Philulhu
The man frowned, and nudged the can a bit further behind his legs. ”I’m Nashoba, but I don’t need no white help.”

”Help us learn about ‘civilisation’. Help us learn about your God, who smites the unworthy,” he said dismissively. ”More like help yourselves to our lands! Help us bury our sons and daughters who died of typhus! Help yourselves to our cattle, that you slaughtered to extinction!” He made his point firmly, but matter of factly.

”I think we’ve had all the help we need.”

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:03 pm
by jp1885

“There’s no answer to that,” Ivy replies tartly. “Our forebears are guilty as charged.”

“Refuse our assistance if you wish, but, as we happen to be walking in the same direction, you will have to suffer our presence for a while.”

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:58 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba shrugged and crossed his arms across his chest. ”Enjoy your walk,” he said, apparently having decided not to go any further for now.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:42 am
by Silver Priest
"I understand if you don't want our help, " Alex concedes. " But for your own sake I hope you won't take Nyatanga's either." He risks saying the man's name, trying to gauge Nashoba's reaction to it.

1d100

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:21 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba looked puzzled, then shrugged again, the name apparently meaning nothing to him.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:38 pm
by Silver Priest
That confusion confirms Nashoba was not involved in any occult activities, at least to Alex. The detective felt pretty confident his confusion was genuine. Which meant that they likely had no reason to continue to investigate him.

"Well, I suppose we should head on. I wish you the best with your protest," he tells the man. "If you would like, please feel free to call upon us before we leave town. The least I would like to do is buy you lunch and hear of your grievances. Have a good night."

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:51 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods curtly in agreement.

“If you’ll allow two white people to buy you lunch, that is. If it helps, we’re writing an article on how the oil company is despoiling the land here. Your perspective would be interesting, should you wish to air it.”

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
”Perhaps,” replied Nashoba, noncommittally.

He stood and watched, waiting for them to leave.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:18 am
by Silver Priest
Alex moves past Nashoba, giving him a curt nod.

Once they are far enough away, he whispers to Ivy. "I buy that he has never heard of Nyatanga, so unless he's being very clever or working through intermediaries, I don't think he's involved. I would have loved to have seen what was in that can-- and how exactly he thought it would help him-- but it seems a less pressing concern at present. Should we head tot he church and see if we can catch any of the service?"

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:00 pm
by jp1885

“If that can is full of gasoline, can we afford to stand by?” Ivy replies. “As onerous as that foreman was, lives could be at risk.”

Can Ivy smell gasoline?

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:36 am
by Philulhu
Not from where she’s stood, no.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:07 am
by Silver Priest
Alex looks torn. "You think he's planning something alone those lines? It would explain the can, but so might other things. Though I doubt the can contains greeting cards. And he seems protective of it. Not to mention if he is planning something he's putting his own life at risk as well."

"I'm not sure what we can do, however. Alerting the locals will only draw harassment his way, and he seems unlikely to listen to us. If you truly think lives are at risk though I can force him to show us what's in the can. It's not something I especially want to do, but I want people to get hurt even less
."

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:15 pm
by jp1885

“I fear the only option is outright confrontation,” muses Ivy. “Telling him we’ve heard rumours of his plans and judging how dangerous it is.”

“At the very least we should say that if anything bad happens, we know he’ll be behind it.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:39 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex sighs. He never liked playing bad cop, but he didn't see another option here. It was going to make Nashoba resent them even more, but if people were in danger they owed it to the town to act.

He tries to catch up to Nashoba. If he is able to, he smiles apologetically, though it looks more like a grimace.

"Sorry to bother you again, but I could not let this go. Our friends mentioned you had a plan to fight back against the injustice laid at the feet of your people. I've noticed how you were hiding that can as well. I don't suppose you'd be willing to let us see what was inside? On my honor if it's not anything dangerous I'll be happy to let you on your way. Even if it is something you have ill intent with, we won't tell the townsfolk. We saw how vile men like Halpert are. But I will strongly encourage you to rethink your actions, because I don't want them to backfire on you and your people."

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:52 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba looked Alex up and down, then shook his head. ”Nope. None of your business,” he said, and he carried on walking.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:24 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex hated what he was about to do. Try as he might to be the "hero", sometimes he had no choice but to be a villain.

He pulls out his gun and aims it at the man.

"Please, step away from the can, Mr. Nashoba. My colleague here will ensure the contents are safe. Once we confirm that we will be on our way."

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:49 pm
by jp1885

Ivy is about to deliver a good tongue-lashing to poor Nashoba, so perhaps he is fortunate that Alex acted first. Nonetheless, she wasn't expecting her friend to resort to such drastic action!

"We don't do this lightly," she manages to blurt out. "I implore you to co-operate."

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:10 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba stopped walking and scowled at Alex. He still held the can in his hand. ”So much for being on our side. Another while man’s lie,” he said.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:35 am
by Silver Priest
"I am on your side," Alex protests, though the excuse sounds weak even to him. "But I need to prevent you from making a mistake that could harm you and your community. I've seen other men and women pushed to the edge-- seen the things they've done out of desperation. It never ended well for them." His mind flashes back to the French battlefield, and the devious nurse who deluded the wounded and herself into thinking they had stumbled upon a miracle. Instead they had unleashed a nightmare. Nashoba's desperation may have been entirely mundane, but any act of rebellion on his part was unlikely to end well for him.

"Please, Mr. Nashoba. Place the can on the ground and step back a few feet."

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:04 pm
by Philulhu
”Some things never change,” said Nasoba. ”Bringing guns onto our lands and telling us what to do.” He didn’t seem phased by Alex’s actions and made no attempt to put down the can.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:12 pm
by jp1885

"Oh confound it!" Ivy exclaims, actually stamping her foot at the man's intransigence.

"Enough of this! If there is gasoline in that can and you're planning on setting fire to the oilfield, refinery or whatever that ghastly foreman is guarding, then it's bound to go badly for you! If you think you're persecuted now, it'll be nothing compared to what'll happen when such a corporation throws it's resources against you! Do you think it's just you who will suffer, hm? No - your family, your people, your town - they too will get caught up in this!"

[34] = 34
Intimidate 55 1d100: [ 34 ] = 34

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:19 pm
by Silver Priest
"Please listen to us, Mr. Nashoba." Alex urges.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:07 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba looked Ivy for a long moment before setting down the can and stepping away from it.

”Happy now?” he asked.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:15 pm
by jp1885

"Yes," says Ivy. "Yes I am."

She picks up the can, unscrews the lid and takes a sniff.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:04 am
by Philulhu
Ivy smelt the unmistakable smell of gasoline once the lid for the can was unscrewed.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:12 pm
by jp1885

Ivy looks up and nods to Alex in confirmation.

“It’s gasoline alright.”

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:04 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex nods somberly, then looks towards Nashoba.

"What were you planning to set fire to with this? The oil fields?"

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:34 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba shrugged. ”I don’t think I need to answer your questions,” he said, his hands shoved deep in his pockets, and his shoulders hunched, looking rather desolate.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:36 am
by Silver Priest
"I could force you to do so," Alex says. "You know what you being caught with this could mean for you."

"But believe it or not, I'm not interested in turning you in if I don't have to. Because I know what that will mean for you as well. So yes, I'd like to know what you were planning to do with this. How exactly you felt this would help the plight of you or your people. Unless vengeance was your sole goal."

1d100

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba frowned. ”’Force me?’” he said, straightening up. ”How do you plan to do that? You going to write about me in a nasty way? The big, bad native who sought to protest against the slaughter of his people and the desecration of his sacred land?! I’m sure that’ll sell well to the white folks!”

Nashoba’s mood had changed from subdued to angry, his voice rising as he responded to Alex’s words.

I think Alex struck the wrong time tone for a persuade roll.

Edited: Oops, used the wrong word!

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:59 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Oops. ;)  
Taken aback, Alex makes a placating gesture. "Please, calm down. By that I merely meant I have a gun. But I'm aware that's hardly better." He grimaces.

Slowly, he puts his gun away.

"I meant what I said. I'm not here to report on you or assault you. I wanted to understand, is all. Regardless, I won't turn you in. If you truly think that... this," he gestures at the gas can, "is going to help you or your people in anyway, we will leave you to it. But I strongly urge you to reconsider, because I don't think whatever you are planning is going to end well for you or your people."

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:06 pm
by jp1885

Taking Alex’s cue, Ivy puts down the can and takes a few steps away.

“Be my guest,” she says, somewhat frostily.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:43 am
by Philulhu
”You talk of using your words and yet you come with a gun,” said Nashoba. ”Your morality is no different to mine, and yet you would have me think otherwise.”

He shook his head as he leant down to screw the cap back onto the can of gasoline. He picked it up without another word and carried on his way.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:05 pm
by jp1885

Ivy shakes her head, muttering something sounding suspiciously like ‘pigheaded oaf’ under her breath.

Sour-faced, she turns to Alex.

“Well that was a waste of time.”

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:42 pm
by Silver Priest
"Be safe." Alex calls out to the man, wishing he had the words to convince him to consider another option. But he doubts he does.

He sighs and looks towards Ivy. his eyes are very sad. "You're likely correct. I'd like to think we were able to convince him to consider another option by appealing to the better angels of his nature, and there's always the chance he'll be spooked enough to avoid doing whatever he planned. But I don't know that we got through to him. Everything about my background requires me to report him... but I made a promise."

He is silent for a moment. "We should go and meet with the others. They may need our help."

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:56 pm
by jp1885

"Quite," concurs Ivy. "Let us return to the other two before I lose my temper."

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:05 am
by Philulhu
You are currently just north of the main square, where you first arrived in town. The road north leads back to your lodgings and Nashoba has walked south through the square and is heading off to the right (west), where you know the oilfields are from your earlier exploration. You know that the church is off to the left (east) but it is hidden in the darkness.

Plans?

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:47 am
by Silver Priest
Alex suggests the pair start heading in the direction of the church. Nashoba's plans weigh on him, but they had to remember why they were really here. Hopefully the man had been spooked by their encounter to reconsider whatever he intended. Judging by his direction though, he was not optimistic.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:25 am
by jp1885
Ivy agrees with Alex’s plans (and sentiments.)

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:47 am
by Philulhu
The road towards the church was in near darkness, except for a lantern that seemed to bob towards them through the gloom. As they drew closer, the figures of Father Ortega and Father Daigle solidified as the younger priest held up the lantern to get a better view of who it who approached them.

He smiled apologetically as he recognised Alex and Amy. “If you were hoping to attend tonight’s service, I’m afraid we are finished for the evening,” he said. “If you wish to visit the church then I will have to come with you, as we have kept it locked after recent events.”

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:15 am
by Silver Priest
"Good evening, Fathers," Alex smiles, trying to move past his troubles. "Do you know if our friends are around?"

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:36 pm
by jp1885

"Did they catch anyone carving snakes during the service?" Ivy asks.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:15 am
by Philulhu
“Your friends left at the end of the service. We had one of the oilmen here tonight, a quiet fellow who sits at the back and listens and doesn’t cause any problems like those he works with,” replied Father Ortega. “I think they went after him.”

He glanced at Father Daigle. “I was by the door, saying goodnight to the parishioners so didn’t get to check for any more carvings, but you checked, didn’t you?” he asked, to which the old priest nodded. “The old carving was there but there was nothing else,” he said.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:56 am
by Silver Priest
"Was the oilman sitting near the carving?" Alex asks. "I don't suppose you know which direction our friends went off in? " He wishes they had some sort of phone that they could call, but such things were science fiction. Even the future had not possessed such wizardry!

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:34 pm
by Philulhu
“He was,” replied Father Daigle, nodding. “He was the only person sat at the back there.”

“Your friends were following the man. If he went back to the oilfields, he’ll have followed the coast road.”

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:57 am
by Silver Priest
All roads seemed to lead towards the oilfields.

"Thank you for your help. I suppose we'll be trying to catch up with them, then. Have a good night, Fathers. And I'm sorry we missed the service. I'm not Catholic myself, but one thing I was honest about was getting a chance to experience more of the local color.."

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:19 pm
by jp1885

"A little more colourful then I'd like..." mutters Ivy.

"We should go head after them Alex."

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:28 pm
by Philulhu
Fathers Ortega and Daigle accompanied them as far as the village and insisted they take the lantern to light their way along the coast road when they parted. As they passed through the village, and progressed along the road, the night sky was suddenly disturbed as a gaseous fireball ‘whoomphed’ upwards, somewhere ahead on their left, between the road and the shoreline… …

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:30 pm
by Silver Priest
Oh Nashoba. What have you done?

"That seems like it came from the oil fields." Alex tells Ivy, though only they know why he's so confident of it.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:40 pm
by jp1885

“That dolt Nashoba failed to heed our warnings,” replies Ivy, with a hint of grim satisfaction. “We should find the other two and decide our next move.”

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:55 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex nods.The mission had to come first. Besides, the damage was done.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:33 am
by Philulhu
Which way are you heading? Onwards towards the fire/oil fields or back towards the village?

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:57 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   I believe our friends are more likely to be heading towards the oilfields, especially with the explosion, so let's try there.  

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:36 am
by jp1885
  Agreed.  

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:51 am
by Philulhu
Making their way quickly towards the source of the flame, Alex and Ivy were able to cut through the dunes to find a chainlink in front of them, beyond which lay a series of dark, oily pools. The pools were approximately ten metres long and the same wide, and appeared to be filled with oil.

The furthest one was ablaze and, as they watched, a second one caught ahold too! Silhouetted by the flames but wreathed in dark, roiling smoke, a number of shadowy figures could be seen, one of which was laughing maniacally…

Spot hidden, please.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:53 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

With wide eyes, Alex observes the scene.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:39 pm
by jp1885

[16] = 16
Spot Hidden 65 1d100: [ 16 ] = 16

Squinting through the heat haze, Ivy peers at the cackling figure.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:39 am
by Philulhu
Ivy can see that it’s Nasoba who’s dancing in front of the fire. She thought she saw someone else watching from a heavy clump of grass nearby but she blinked and they’d gone.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:39 am
by jp1885

“Nashoba is an even bigger fool than I thought,” grumbles Ivy, nodding to the cavorting figure.

“There was someone else watching too, over by that tuft of grass,” she continues. “They appear to have gone, but we should investigate.”

Keeping out of sight as best she can, she creeps towards the grass patch, blithely assuming that Alex will follow.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:30 pm
by Silver Priest
Of course, Alex does so.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:39 pm
by Philulhu
Whoever was there wasn’t there anymore. The only thing that Ivy and Alex could see clearly was the glowing tip of a discarded cigar, that glowed reply in the dark.

As they examined in, a familiar voice rang out. "NASHOBA! I think you ought to sit still and explain yourself, Chief. This is a hell of a thing for a man to stumble on, you know that?"

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:20 pm
by Silver Priest
Seeing the cigar, Alex tries to capture the detail of it. It could be useful for comparison purposes later on. Then he does what any good detective would do; he attempts to examine the nearby area for tracks of where the watcher had gone. He's by no means an expert or even good tracker though, so he doubts he'll find anything, but perhaps his sharp eyes would pick up a bit of detail.

1d100

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:05 pm
by jp1885

Ivy’s nose wrinkles at the cigar smell.

“Is it the same as the ones smoked at Halpert’s?” she asks. “He’s hardly a fan of the oilfield. Has he egged Nashoba on?”

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:47 am
by Philulhu
There was insufficient light (and in any case it was unlikely they had noted Halpert’s taste in cigars at the time) to draw any firm conclusions. In any event, piecing screams followed by gunshots from the direction of the oil pits spoke of more urgent matters to attend to… …

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:27 am
by Silver Priest
"I can't te--" Alex's head jerks up as he takes in the gunshots. Without another word he takes off in the direction of them.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:52 pm
by jp1885

It’s Ivy’s turn to follow, running after Alex.

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:10 am
by Philulhu
Alex and Ivy crested a dune to see a scene of chaos before them! Lawrence was pointing his gun at the Native American, Nashoba, who was stood in front of a large burning pit of oil. What they thought were flickering flames, however, was obviously something more for an oily tendril, wreathed in fire, flicked out of the pit and caught Nasoba across his back, sending him staggering into Lawrence, who was fortunate not to have been caught himself as another tendril whipped out in his direction.

Although the strike had missed, burning oil had been sprayed across the ground and the dune grass was starting to catch hold…

SAN checks, please. Lose 1/1d3, depending upon your result.

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:49 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

1d6 If fail.

Alex's eyes widen in horror at the sight, but he focuses on the here and now. "Grab Nashoba!" He tells Lawrence, trying to help his companion drag the Native man away from the pit-- keeping him alive might help them get some answers.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:50 pm
by jp1885

[85] = 85
SAN 75 1d100: [ 85 ] = 85

[1] = 1
1d6: [ 1 ] = 1

So 1 SAN lost

Ivy yells involuntarily. The weird horror she’s been expecting since they arrived suddenly revealing itself. She thought she was prepared, but obviously not…

If she gathers her wits in time, she’ll rush over to help too.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:02 am
by Philulhu
In the chaos of the events, the four investigators found themselves thrown together again. As Ivy and William looked on, Alex and Lawrence were able to grab the senseless Nasoba and drag him out of range of whatever aberration was in the pit.

Men from the oiler’s camp rushed up and were able to quickly extinguish the flames, using some kind of flame retardant foam they sprayed across the surface of the pool. Of the ‘creature’ that had attacked them, there was now no sign. As the last of the flames subsided, the oilmen made busy with beaters and put out any of the fires that had spread to the grasses in the dunes that fringed the pools.

Bart Bordeaux, the storekeeper, was the first of the villagers to arrive on the scene, obvious concern on his face. “Are you all OK?! Is anyone hurt?!” he asked, but before anyone could answer him, a voice from the other side of the pool rudely interrupted. It was Henry Jones, the foreman that Alex and Ivy had met earlier in the day.

”I’ll tell you what the hell’s going on here!” he snarled. “These reporters have got this damned fellow involved in some godamned publicity stunt, trying to get the oilfield shut down!”

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:22 pm
by jp1885

“Nothing to do with us you moron!” Ivy snaps back. “We tried to dissuade the fool!”

“Publicity stunt indeed! You’re a bigger dolt than I thought!

Suddenly, as if masked by her anger, the realisation of what lurks in the oil hits her.

“Keep away from the pool everyone! It isn’t safe!”

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:58 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex winces very slightly, wishing Ivy had not revealed that particular detail.

"My colleague is correct," he quickly offers. "And we were walking into town with the Fathers when we heard--and saw-- the explosion and came to investigate. They can collaborate, I am sure.

"But Ivy's right, everyone needs to step away from the pool. It could let off another explosion at any moment!

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Everyone stay back!" calls William, leading by example.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:58 am
by Philulhu
”What are you talking about?! The fire’s out and it’s perfectly safe!” shouted Henry Jones rudely. He looked at the men who beating out the flames next to the edge of the pool. They had heard Ivy’s outburst and had stopped work, now looking very uncertain.

“Get back to work! Or you’ll have your cards in the morning!” he snarled. A few of the men started beating again, but talk of the pool being dangerous had clearly unnerved them.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

William watches carefully, ready to respond if something happens.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:49 am
by Philulhu
”Goddamnit! Give me that damned beater!” Jones snapped, and he snatched it from the hands of the nearest oilmen.

Swearing volubly, he set about slamming the beater onto the flames, sending sparks, sand and grit flying everywhere, but shortly putting out the fire.

“Now finish the job!” he shouted at the oilmen, throwing the beater at the man from whom he had taken it, who visibly winced as it struck him on the arm.

“I see a word of this in the papers and you’ll have me to answer to!” he snarled, stabbing a finger in the direction of Alex and Ivy, before turning around and stomping off back to the oilers’ huts.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did we miss something?" William asks Alex and Ivy.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:11 pm
by jp1885

"The foreman didn't really hit it off with us," replies Ivy grimly. "He's a deeply unpleasant fellow. But that thing in the oil pool is a greater concern, is it not? Let's use this opportunity to talk to the oil workers before we're ejected, hm? Find out what's been going on."

She looks around for a suitable-looking oil worker to buttonhole.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:28 am
by Silver Priest
While this is going on, Alex examines Nashoba, attempting to see if he's come back to his senses.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"One of the oilmen showed up at church tonight and sat in the back, near the carving," says William, and he describes the man. "We followed him back to the oil fields and saw him go into one of the buildings. We watched for a while, and that's when we saw Nashoba start the fire. If anyone knows what that creature is. it's him."

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:20 am
by Bullfrog
"He doesn't know, William. I swear, he was even more surprised to see that thing than I was..." Lawrence mutters, staring through William and the others. He moves in closer, and lowers his voice to a harsh whisper:
"But I think we might share a common enemy with him, now."

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:29 am
by Philulhu
At the back of the pack of oilmen dealing with the remnants of the fire was the man that Lawrence and William had seen at the church earlier that evening, He would occasionally cast glances in their direction but he made no move to approach them, nor would it be possible for them to approach him without having to make their way through the oilmen first.

As for Nashoba, he still seemed confused by what he had seen, muttering to himself and trying to pull away in the direction of his home.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's the oilman I saw," says William, keeping an eye on him.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:35 am
by Silver Priest
"You see now what I was trying to warn you of?" Alex asks the man in a soft voice. He gently but firmly grabs hold of Nashoba's arm, trying to get him to look at him and focus on the present. "Stay with me. I need to know exactly who told you to attack this specific area."

1d100 Not sure he's able to talk, but may as well try.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:52 pm
by jp1885

Ivy looks in the direction that William indicates.

"That's the fellow responsible for the carving is it?" she says, jaw set with determination. "Very well..."

She strides towards the oilmen.

"Let me through! I need to speak to that man!" she bellows, pointing at the individual in question.

[35] = 35
Intimidate 55 1d100: [ 35 ] = 35

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I saw him sitting near the carving," William says to Ivy, ever the lawyer. "I didn't see him actually carve it."

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:50 pm
by Philulhu
There was an outburst of ribald catcalls as the oilmen turned to look first at Ivy and then at the man at whom she was pointing. He dropped his beater and took off at a run, while oilmen parted to let Ivy pass in her pursuit!

Nashoba was clearly shaken by events and was neither focussed nor steady on his feet. ”Our… our burial grounds… … Nakka Mur… …” he murmured.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

William follows in Ivy's wake before the oilmen can close ranks again. He wishes she hadn't tipped the guy off that they were on to him, but there was nothing else to be done for it now.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:39 am
by Silver Priest
Alex is torn between following the man--who could very well be dangerous-- and continuing to interrogate Nashoba. He decides the latter needs to take precedence, given they had no direct proof said oil man was involved as of yet. Hopefully the others would have the matter well in hand. He continues to speak to the Indian chief in a low voice.

"This is your burial grounds, then? But did someone suggest you set a fire here? My friends and I are investigating things like what attacked you. We have reason to believe someone has recently arrived in this area and is trying to infect it with a great evil, greater than even the oilmen and their pits. I need your help to bring these people to justice and prevent them from further spoiling your people's resting place."

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:45 pm
by jp1885

Ivy is in no mood to shilly-shally.

Yelling "stop!", she races after the fellow, foolishly disregarding her own safety no doubt!

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:28 am
by Bullfrog
"You keep talking to him- I'll be back." Lawrence rushes off after Ivy and the strange man, sure that he'd be better suited than her to deal with the man once he's caught- but not too sure. That lady could kill plants and small animals with her glare.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:10 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba continued to mutter fretfully, switching to a language that Alex recognised as a Native American dialect that he had no real chance of understanding.

”Where in tarnation do you think you’re going?!” As the man disappeared into the shadowed darkness of the huts, Henry Jones emerged from one of them to see what all the commotion was about! At his sudden reappearance, the catcalls from the oilmen immediately ceased as they studiously got back to their work as if never interrupted.

Jones stood in the main path between the huts, barring further progress. “This is company land!” he snapped. ”So get outta here, lest you get thrown out!”

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:36 am
by Silver Priest

Not really sure what to do, Alex takes Nashoba's hand and tries to lead him out of the oil fields. "Let's get you home," he offers in a soft tone. Hopefully when he's away from the madness he will sober up, and the detective can get some sense out of him.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"What is that man's name?" asks William, pointing in the direction of the fleeing oilman.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:36 am
by jp1885

Ivy’s eyes narrow; time for a little subterfuge. What can she wheedle out of Jones?

“You again! That man approached us, wanting to talk. Let us pass - you can’t stop the press you know!”

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 am
by Philulhu
Bart, the storekeeper, approached Alex and said, “Let me help you.” He moved to Nashoba’s side and helped take his weight, which meant Alex was able to walk more easily.

Over Nasoba’s shoulder, Bart said, “He’s been threatening to do something for ages but no one took him seriously! Did you see what happened?”

”I can and I goddamned will!” snapped Jones. “This is private land - you want permission to come over here then you’ll need to ask first. Press or not, you got no rights just to go wherever you please!”

He glanced over his shoulder, where wooden huts provided accommodation for the men working on the oilfields. ”I didn’t see no man and you ain’t coming in here, so get lost!”

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:40 am
by Silver Priest

The detective is not entirely happy for the help, wanting to talk to Nashoba alone. But rather than make a scene, he accepts it for the moment.

"No. We were in the middle of town when we saw the explosion and came running. I'm just glad no one was seriously hurt."

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

William describes the man. "I suspect he was involved in the fire," he says, "but if that doesn't matter to you, I'll just be on my way."

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:22 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence narrows his eyes as he scrutinizes Henry Jones. It seems a strange coincidence that he'd appear just in time to keep that strange man from being caught, and his unwillingness to have press searching the property is only made more suspect by the thing that rose up from the burning oil- how could that exist without his knowledge? This is a man worth watching.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:51 pm
by jp1885

With a loud ‘hmph!’, Ivy turns on her heel and marches away from the odious man.

“It seems we are stymied at every turn!” she mutters to the others, leaving them to finish up with Jones.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:07 pm
by Philulhu
“Well, let’s get him home,” said Bart. He was a big man but working in the store, lifting and carrying, meant that he could easily take the Native American’s weight. “Do you think he was responsible for that?”

”I didn’t see any of my men out there,” growled Jones. “More like it was that Indian fella! I saw him there, dancing like a loon!”

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:25 pm
by Silver Priest

"I'd like to hear from him first, once he calms down." says Alex, giving Bart a nod of thanks. "It's hard to say. You said he talked about it for awhile, but I''m wondering if someone took advantage of that to push him into it. I'm getting the sense the oil workers are not beloved around here."

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:11 am
by Philulhu
“Well, it’s quiet place and folks are set in their ways,” said Bart. ”The oilmen are rowdy and we haven’t seen their kind since the fishing boats stopped coming. As for me,” he continued, looking around carefully and lowering his voice, ”Well, I’m a businessman first and foremost. They’ve got to spend their wages somewhere, don’t they?”

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I saw him too, but I don't think he was acting alone," says William. "I'll go see what he has to say. Good night, sir." He turns back and follows Ivy.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:22 am
by Silver Priest

"And I don't begrudge you that," Alex assures him. "I'm an outsider here after all. But I've met enough people to know a lot of folks are not happy about the oil operations presence here. They may not be wiling to act themselves, but if they can put someone else to it? Something to be considered, at any rate."

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:43 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba’s had a grudge against the oilmen ever since they moved here,” said Bart. “But whether someone one put him up to it, I don’t know.” He shrugged. ”He’s always been his own man. Knows his own mind, if you get my understanding.”

The man in question hung limply between them. It seemed he knew nothing of anything at that moment in time.

OOC: Are you all moving away?

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

I am.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:08 am
by Silver Priest

"Seems like it was quite a shock to him," Alex says, though of course he knows why. "And I fear his troubles are not over. He'll likely be receiving a visit from the local authorities before too long. But I'd like to get him home and help him to sober up before then. Get his side of the story." he explains, still gently helping to guide the man.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:26 am
by jp1885
Yes, Ivy will follow the others.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:04 am
by Philulhu
Ivy, Lawrence and William soon caught up with Alex, who, along with the storekeeper, Bart Bordeaux, was helping Nashoba back to town.

As they arrived in the town square, Bart said, ”I can take it from here, if you like. Ephraim can fetch the handcart and we’ll get him back to his wife to sleep it off.”

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Did he say anything?" asks William.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:35 pm
by Silver Priest
"Thank you but no need, I don't want to trouble you further. I'll get him back to home and see if I can get any quotes once he sobers up-- I believe the reality of his actions are hitting him."

"Nothing yet," he tells William.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I can help you with him," says William.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:06 am
by Philulhu
”Well at least take my handcart, so you don’t have to carry him all the way. Just leave it around the side of the store when you bring it back,” said Bart. He helped Alex to set Nashoba down on the stoop before disappearing around the back of his store, before returning momentarily, pushing the handcart.

The two-wheeled cart was barely big enough for the Native American, who sprawled across it, limbs hanging down. If he was uncomfortable however, he didn’t show it. He just stared upwards into the night sky, rambling to himself.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:52 am
by Mr. Handy

William helps move the cart, listening closely to Nashoba's ramblings to try to make any sense out of them.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:54 am
by Silver Priest
Alex thanks the shopkeeper before beginning to push Nashoba home. He too listens for any information amongst all the insane ravings.

"I hope this is not permanent," he tells the others, unsure how to bring the man back.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:00 am
by Bullfrog
"Might be... some time before he's back." Lawrence mutters, recalling his own stint in the madhouse; Nashoba must have already been coming apart at the seams under the strain of life, and this must have been the straw that broke the camel's back. It felt strange calling a floating mass of burning oil a mere straw, but looking on the face of the Charnel God gives a man perspective- and what a terrible perspective it is.
"I'd say tonight was a mess, but we've learned a lot- where to look, and who to look at. Hopefully, this didn't make too much of a scene..."
Of his companions, Lawrence is the one least versed on how people think, but he is the most versed on the abominable truth. Throughout Nashoba's ramblings, be listens for names he recognizes- Yig, for one.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:04 pm
by jp1885

"So what do we do next, hm?" asks Ivy. "That dreadful foreman won't let us anywhere near the oilfield, should we indeed wish to return - was I the only one to witness that tentacle striking Nashoba?"

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:45 am
by Philulhu
It took almost half an hour to get Nashoba home, as the cart proved difficult to steer in the dark on the rutted, unmade road that lead to his ramshackle shack on the edge of town.

As they approached the building, the door flew open and the older woman seen earlier looked out, a smokey oil lamp illuminating the scene as the cart came to a halt. Seeing Nashoba lying prostrated on the cart, she gave out a cry and came hurrying down the steps, repeating his name over and over again, and sobbing to him in her native tongue.

From the doorway, the young boy emerged, blinking sleepily. ”My grandmama wants to know what has happened to my grandpapa,” he said. ”Is he dead and who has killed him?”

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"We see if he has anything to say that makes any sense," says William on the way back, "and we find out who that oilman who fled is. Maybe Nashoba knows."

"Don't worry, he's not dead," says William when they arrive. "I'm not entirely sure what happened to him myself. Maybe when he recovers he'll be able to tell us more."

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:20 am
by Silver Priest
"I saw it too," he tells Ivy. "It's why I think someone must have set him up. The chances of him striking the exact area that horrific creature resided in is rather low. Though I also wonder what the precise intention was. The thing seemed to vanish shortly thereafter, though I was busy tending to Nashoba so I don't know exactly to where."

As they get him home he attempts to communicate with his grandson. "Your grandfather tried to set the oil fields alight, and something seemed to frighten him," He remarks vaguely. "We fear someone tried to set your grandfather up to attack the fields so that he would take the blame for whatever happened, and we'd like to find the real culprit to ensure he doesn't get in too much trouble. Have you or your grandmother seen him speaking to anyone new recently, or has he mentioned someone?"

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:57 am
by Philulhu
The boy was really too young to engage in proper conversation, although he tried his best to communicate what they told him to his grandmama. Despite finding out her husband was actually alive, she remained distraught at his condition and sobbed helplessly, while communicating through the boy that they should carry Nashoba to his bed, which turned out to be a large wooden frame with what appeared to be a straw-stuffed mattress, covered in animal skins.

The old man continued to rave in his own tongue, none of which made sense to any of the party. The only phrase they could make out was ”Nakka Mur… … Nakka Mur… …” which he babbled frequently.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe his family knows what Nakka Mur is or means," says William. "They could be words in his language, or maybe a name."

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:05 pm
by Philulhu
The woman spoke to the boy, who said, ”Hold him still. He must be protected.”

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:41 pm
by jp1885

"Protect him from what?" asks Ivy as she helps restrain the fellow.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:08 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex also follows, doing his best to restrain Nashoba and keep him calm(ish).

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

William also holds down Nashoba. "He must be having an epileptic seizure!" he says.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:38 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba’s movements were more those of an agitated man than the spasms of someone undergoing a seizure, but he was wiry and strong and it took their combined efforts to keep him still. As the young boy looked on with obvious concern, his grandmother quickly rolled up the sleeves of her dress and tied her hair back, readying herself.

She pulled two small jars out from a cabinet near the bed and undid Nashoba’s shirt, exposing his chest. Taking up a low, crooning chant, she dipped a finger in one of the pots, drawing a blue dot on his chest, carefully circling until it was evenly coloured and as perfect as she could make it. Switung to a different finger and the other pot, she drew a white circle around the dot, before reverting to the first ones again, finishing off with a blue circle around the white. Around six to eight inches across, it looked like a giant blue eye stared up at them from his chest…

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:57 am
by Silver Priest
Alex has grown a bit leery of anything that struck him as occult, having seen the very real power that lurked behind such rituals. But Nashoba's wife seemed benign, so he assumes she has no ill intent.

"What will this do for your grandfather?" He asks the young boy.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"She's done this before," says William, "and she looks like she knows what she's doing. I'm sure we could have an interesting conversation with her if someone could translate."

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:18 pm
by Philulhu
The boy spoke to his grandmother, who replied in her native tongue. ”She said Glue-scap-ey will protect him. Keep him well,” he said, struggling with the pronunciation of the unfamiliar word.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:42 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence, being uneasy with anything that even resembles a ritual, watches the grandmother with apprehension- but, if this is the real thing, then this woman must know something useful! What Lawrence would have given to turn some magic on Brophy...
"And who is... Glue-scap-ey? Or what?"

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"And what is Nakka Mur?" asks William.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:16 pm
by jp1885

Having done some research on Native American lore, Ivy tries to remember if she’s come across these weird words.

INT is 55 if that helps.
[38] = 38
1d100: [ 38 ] = 38

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:47 pm
by Philulhu
Ivy has heard of Gluskabe, a legendary Native American creator figure, said to be a benevolent warrior against evil, who possessed magical powers.

‘Nakka Mur’ means nothing to her.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:37 pm
by jp1885

“Gluskabe is a magical warrior,” Ivy says. “Said to fight against evil.”

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds like someone good to have on your side," says William.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:21 am
by Silver Priest
"At this point I will take all the help I can get." says Alex.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:32 pm
by Philulhu
Whatever his wife was doing to him, it was having a calming effect on Nashoba, whose movements became less spasmodic and restrained. His cries subsided to a murmur and within five minutes, his breathing became relaxed and it appeared that he had fallen asleep.

Anything else you want to say/do before you leave?

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:26 pm
by jp1885
I can’t think of anything :)

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:32 am
by Silver Priest

Nor can I. I think at least one of us should stay here though. Hopefully we can get answers from Nashoba when he wakes up.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you know what 'Nakka Mur' means?" asks William. "He kept saying it."

Just one more thing.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:37 pm
by Philulhu
The boy repeated the question and his grandmother scowled, speaking to him quickly in her own language. She looked tired and irritable, and the boy was obviously struggling to understand her. He glanced at his grandfather, then shrugged, tears welling in his eyes, the situation overwhelming him.

You’re not going to get anything else out of the boy. I’ll move it on to the next day: Tomorrow is Another Day