Page 1 of 1

Ch.16b Exploring the Village (Lawrence & William)

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:10 pm
by Philulhu
Friday March 13th, 1931 12.00noon
Main Square, Johnson Bayou, Cameron Parish, Louisiana

Returning to the square, they found the place deserted. Even the general store had a ‘back in 10 minutes’ sign hanging on the door handle.

In the distance, they could hear singing, a call and response that workers would sing to pass the time whilst at their labours.

Re: Ch.16b Exploring the Village (Lawrence & William)

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go see who's singing," says William, without any better ideas of what to do.

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:09 am
by Philulhu
Heading back in the direction of their lodgings, William and Lawrence could see the workers tending the cotton fields behind the houses. One young man who was built like an ox, led the singing in his deep baritone, while his fellow workers - men, women and even children - joined in the refrain. Whilst the civil war had put an end to slavery in the mid-part of the previous century, it seemed that little had change for the African Americans in Cameron Parish.

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"These are exactly the sort of people Nyatanga might try to recruit," William says quietly to Lawrence. "They're even more poor than most people these days, and they're still treated like slaves even though slavery was supposed to have ended over 65 years ago. Not all of them would be swayed by his promises of freedom, and perhaps power and revenge as well, but it only takes one. If that one sees us, he or she may report our presence to him. Probably best not to let them see us at all."

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:03 pm
by Bullfrog
"William, there's lots of things that I am, but 'hard to notice' isn't one of them." Lawrence states, looking around to make sure him and William aren't being watched.
"The snake is a vengeful god, you know that? I remembered this verse in the bible, Genesis forty-nine sixteen and seventeen: Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel. Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward. It's everywhere, William, even our own faiths."

Spot Hidden 30%: 1d100

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:03 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods. "The serpent was there from the very beginning," he says. "It told the first lie, and that's why we're in this mess. Let's just walk down a different path, and then there's no risk of them getting a good look at us."

Spot Hidden roll (64% skill) near the workers:
d%

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:11 am
by Philulhu
1d100

A noise came from one side of the path as they were speaking. Looking quickly around, they saw a young black boy squatting in the ditch, attending to a call of nature. His eyes saucered in surprise at being watched and he quickly pulled up his breeches, and ran back towards the field, yelling for his papa!

At the sudden commotion, the singing stopped and William and Lawrence found themselves the centre of attention, with more than thirty men, women and children looking their way… …

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, they've seen us," says William. "Might as well go talk to them now."

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:20 pm
by Philulhu
The young man built like an ox straightened up and looked their way. ”Can we help you, sirs?” he asked warily.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"We were just curious," says William. "We're visitors here, and we heard the music."

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:20 am
by Bullfrog
"My friend here's writing a book," Lawrence says, trying to direct attention away from himself. "We were looking for that old Indian chief who lives around here, Nashoba. Have you seen him around here?"

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
The young man studied Lawrence for a long moment before his eyes flicked to William. Nashoba will be here around one ‘o’ clock. He comes down every day to buy his lunch from the store and chew the ear off of anyone prepared to give him the time o’ day,” he rumbled.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, that would be me," says William. "We've got some time before he shows up, though. I'm always interested in meeting people. Why don't you tell me about yourself?"

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:16 am
by Philulhu
The young man looked very wary but obviously felt compelled to answer. ”My name’s Jacob and I work here, for Mister Halpert. My daddy did the same, and his daddy before that,” he said. ”As far as I know, there’s always been Halperts and there’s always been my family working here.”

He looked around, standing up a bit straighter. ”I’m a free man, we all are, at least that’s what they tell us. We earn a wage and we’re free to come and go, but this is the only work there is around here. The oil company ain’t hiring the likes of us.”

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I sympathize with you, Jacob," says William. "Work is hard to find these days, and employers know it. Some of them think this means they can do whatever they want to their workers, because they have nowhere else to go. Is Mr. Halpert a fair boss?"

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:06 am
by Bullfrog
"I'm sure he is." Lawrence says, abruptly. No need to risk the poor man's job. "I think we ought to sit down and talk under some shade. This Louisiana weather isn't agreeing with me; God never intended for man to live in a swamp!"

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:51 pm
by Philulhu
”I think I can take five minutes,” replied Jacob. ”I’m a free man, after all.”

He followed Lawrence and William to the shade of a nearby tree, pulling out a large handkerchief and wiped his face and neck. ”So, this book you’re writing, you want to interview me? You planning on using my real name?” he asked.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sure, I'd like to interview you," says William, taking out a notepad and pencil. "I'll use your real name if you like, but if you'd prefer I didn't, that's fine too. we can always make up a name for you."

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:18 am
by Philulhu
”I’ll think about that one,” replied Jacob. ”So what you wanna ask me?”

Can I have a Persuade roll to see how forthcoming he is?

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's start with Mr. Halpert," says William. "What's he like?"

Persuade roll (65% skill) to get Jacob to talk:
d%

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:26 am
by Philulhu
Jacob paused for thought before speaking. ”He’s a considerate boss,” he said carefully. ”There’s always plenty of work to go around.”

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, that's something," says William, reading what is unsaid but not pressing the matter. "What can you tell me about Preacher Litton?"

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:37 am
by Bullfrog
"And how about Father Ortega and Daigle, while we're talking religion?" Lawrence adds.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:39 am
by Philulhu
Father Ortega? He the new guy? I’ve seen him around but not talked to him more than to say ‘hello’,” replied Jacob. Father Daigle’s OK , but we don’t get invited up to the church all that often. I guess sometimes Christianity is only skin deep.”

He stared at them frankly. ”We got Preacher Litton because he tells it how it is for our people. He’s a good man.”

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"He sounds like a man I'd like to meet," says William. "When does he hold services?"

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:56 pm
by Philulhu
Jacob paused. ”You do realise that white folks coming to our services is going to be a bit of a talking point,” he said slowly.

”I think I better ask Preacher Litton first before I just invite you along. Probably better for all concerned.”

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's only fair," says William. "You mentioned he tells it how it is for your people. How is it?"

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:29 am
by Philulhu
Jacob looked at William and Lawrence then glanced over to his family and friends as they toiled in the field. He laughed softly. ”You come here in your fancy suits to write your book,” he said. ”Most of don’t even get to learn to read, never mind find the time to pick up a book. We’re both free men, but we’re living in very different worlds.”

He straightened up. ”I’ll talk to Preacher Litton. You let me know where you’re staying and I’ll send a message to let you know what he says. Now, if you gentlemen will excuse me, I’ve got work to do.” He nodded to them and returned to his work with the others.

Where would you like to go next?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:08 am
by Bullfrog
"I wonder if he'll get to see things change. Then again, the more things change, the more they stay the same- especially here, it looks like." Lawrence vaguely remarks, speaking with the strange informality of a man who has read about the events of the next few decades in detail. He's had a lot to think about in the sleepless hours of the early morning, tracing the odd shape of the days to come in his fevered mind. At least the world won't end, yet.
How about the old burial ground?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're staying at Mrs. Hebert's," says William as Jacob leaves. He turns to Lawrence. "Speaking of which, maybe we should go back there for lunch. It's getting close to lunchtime, and by the time we finish, Nashoba should be around."

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:26 pm
by Philulhu
Mrs Hebert cooked a fine lunch of poached eggs on toast and William and Lawrence were back in the main square five minutes before one ‘o’ clock. As the looked about they saw an older Native American approaching, wearing traditional buckskin dress, and with feathers tucked into his grey-black hair.

He nodded amiably as he passed them on his way to the store.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

William turns around and falls into step with him. "Good day, sir," he says. "You must be Chief Nashoba."

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:48 pm
by Philulhu
The old man glanced sideways at William, nodded, but carried on towards the store.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd been hoping to meet you," says William, walking alongside him. "I've heard about how your people's burial ground was moved, and I think it's just terrible."

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:19 am
by Philulhu
”Uh-huh,” replied Nashoba, carrying on, his eyes not leaving the store. ”And what’s that to you?”

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I feel a certain sympathy for you," says William. "I didn't know about this at all until I arrived here today, and I doubt other outsiders have heard either. That should change. Everyone should be aware of the wrong that was done."

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:03 pm
by Philulhu
”Uh-huh,” replied Nashoba again. He paused and looked William, then Lawrence, up and down. ”Buy me lunch and we can talk,” he said slyly.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It would be my pleasure," says William. For a man Jacob had said would talk the ear off of anyone who gave him the chance, he didn't seem very talkative, but maybe that would change once he got some food in him.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:23 am
by Philulhu
Nashoba didn’t bother looking to see whether Lawrence and William followed him; he just set off for the general store. Pushing his way inside, he nodded to Bart, saying ”Bartholomew” and being greeted with “Chief!” in response.

He made his way to a small group of tables at the left rear of the store, where a young woman was sitting idly by, waiting for customers. Nashoba ordered omelette which arrived in a matter of minutes. As he started to eat, he pointed his fork at Lawrence and William and said , ”Go ahead. Ask your questions.”

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've only heard secondhand," says William, "so I might not know which questions to ask. Why don't you start by telling us in your own words what happened?"

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:09 am
by Bullfrog
"First off, I guess, how long has it been since you got your land taken away?" Lawrence inquires.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:49 pm
by Philulhu
”Many, many years,” replied Nashoba, sombrely. ”My ancestors fought the Spanish Conquistadors. They could beat the men but could not defeat the diseases that they brought with them. More recently, my people fought the whites, but we were beaten by your bullets and your treaties, treaties written in a language we did not understand and which were not honoured anyway. Our lands were taken from us. Good land, land that would sustain us, was taken in exchange for reservation land, where our crops could not grow and our people starved.”

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Has anyone stood up for your people?" asks William.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba laughed bitterly. ”No one, no one at all. No,I tell a lie, there was one man - an Indian Agent whose name I now forget. He stood up for us, but he is long gone. Now there is just me and my family. The poison brought by the oil has driven everyone away, but I must stay. If we do not venerate our ancestors, we lose our faith, our connection to the old ways. Without that, we are no better than the whites, destroying nature rather than living with it in harmony.”

He looked at William and Lawrence and he shook his head. ”But what would you know of those? You are whites also, the same as those who despoil our lands in their greed for money.”

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"We are whites," says William, "but we are not like the ones who despoil your land. Not all white people are the same. I'd like to help you if I can. I've always had a thirst for justice. That's why I became a lawyer. While I'm not licensed to practice law in Louisiana, I can certainly advise you. That oil is on your land, and therefore the oil belongs to your people by right. But oil companies are big, powerful, and wealthy. That's a huge problem with the legal system. They can pretty much buy a favorable court ruling, and nobody has enough money to compete with the Rockefellers and their ilk. It's an uphill battle, but sometimes a small victory can be won."

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:55 am
by Bullfrog
"I can't say I'm better than any man, white or otherwise, but I know more of anything than I would ever want to know, and even that isn't much. The world's a horrible place." Lawrence says, speaking with terrible clarity. "But what have you done in your own defense? I don't imagine you just sat here with your hands in your pockets while your burial ground got forcibly moved."

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:41 pm
by Philulhu
”We protested. We wrote to our Congressman. We even went to the State Senate in Baton Rouge. They make the right noises, but at the end of the day, money talks, and noise is all it is,” said Nashoba. ”It made no difference and my people lost heart. The youngsters moved away first, then their parents. There are but a handful of us left to continue the fight.”

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"How are you continuing the fight?" asks William.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:41 pm
by Philulhu
Nashoba gave William a sly look and tapped the side of his nose. ”You’ll have to wait and see.”

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Is there anything we can do to help?" asks William, curious about just what Nashoba means.

Psychology roll (67% skill) about Nashoba:
d%

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:48 pm
by Philulhu
William gets that Nashoba has a cunning plan that he’s quite pleased about, but he’s not about to tell him the details.

Nashoba shook his head. ”Don’t need no help. You’ll see soon enough - then everyone will be talking about the damage they’re doing!” He smiled to himself and refused to be drawn any further on the subject.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"I guess we'll wait and see, then," says William.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:30 pm
by Philulhu
”I guess you will,” said Nashoba with a nod, ”But thanks for breakfast. I appreciate it.””

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome," says William, who had thought it was lunch. "Could you please give us a hint, at least? How long will we have to wait?"

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:08 am
by Philulhu
He’s a late riser and it was his first meal of the day. Either that or your Keeper wasn’t paying attention…😬

Nashoba looked furtive but leaned in closer to William. ”Wait ’til it gets dark,” he said. ”Now I’ve got things to do.” And with that he pushed back his chair, stood and headed out the door.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"He has a cunning plan, and he's very happy with it," says William to Lawrence after Nashoba has gone, "but that's the most he'll tell us about it."

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:44 am
by Bullfrog
"We ought to keep an eye on him. I don't know if he's a snake-handler or not, but this whole thing seems awfully familiar, if you ask me." Lawrence quietly remarks, watching Nashoba in the distance.
"I think I'm gonna follow him. If you have a problem with the idea, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:48 pm
by Philulhu
So, Lawrence is planning on shadowing Nashoba. What’s William planning to do?

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"If you're sure you can do it without him seeing you," says William. "We don't want to alienate him, especially if he is one of them. I'm not very stealthy, but what I can do is follow you while keeping far enough away that he can't see me. I won't be able to see him either, but as long as I keep you in sight, it should be fine."

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:12 pm
by Philulhu
Outside, the figure of Nashoba could be seen retreating into the distance, shuffling along the road past Mrs Hebert’s house and further up the road.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:24 am
by Bullfrog
Would Track be of any use here?

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:33 am
by Philulhu
Not initially as Nasoba’s not making any attempt to hide, but it will probably come in handy later.

Nasoba continued up the road for about half a mile until he came to a ramshackle building at the side of the road. It was single story, with clapboard walls and a shingle roof, outside of which a Native American woman scrubbed some clothes on a washboard over a bucket of soapy water. The silver-stroked dark hair that tied back with a simple bow suggested that Nasoba and her might be of a similar age.They spoke briefly, then the chief went over to where a young boy played in a makeshift sandpit. They spoke briefly before Nasoba ruffled his straight, dark hair, then he went to sit on a rocking chair on the porch, surveying all that he owned…

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

William follows Lawrence from far enough back that he cannot see Nashoba.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:36 am
by Bullfrog
Lawrence watches for a short time, taking note of the building's location, before turning away to walk back down the road towards Mrs. Hebert's house. Beckoning for him to follow, he whispers to William:
"We'll be coming back tonight. I don't expect either of us are going to be sneaking around three people in broad daylight, and Nashoba's just going to be more suspicious if we let him know that we followed him home."

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

William nods. "Whatever he's planning to do, it won't be until tonight anyway," he says. "We know where he lives, and we can come back later."

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:08 pm
by Philulhu
Where else would you like to go?

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

I'm not sure. Lawrence seemed to want to go back to Mrs. Hebert's, which is okay with me.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:01 am
by Bullfrog
I think Lawrence is perfectly content to spend a few hours at Mrs. Hebert's staring at his gun and breathing heavily.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:13 pm
by Philulhu
That won’t be disturbing for everyone else, at all! 😬

Alex & Ivy are still out investigating but I’ll wrap that up as soon as possible then we’ll move on.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:30 am
by Philulhu
We’re moving on to the next chapter: Hebert House