Ch.16a Black Gold (Alex & Ivy)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Ch.16a Black Gold (Alex & Ivy)

Post by Philulhu »

”I ain’t paid to have an opinion, ma’am,” rumbled Erasmus, a response to which Halpert instantly bristled. “Now you listen here!” he snapped at his driver, tapping him vigorously on his shoulder. ”A guest of mine asks you a question, and you answer, you understand!”

Erasmus huffed, but acquiesced when Halpert growled warningly. ”They makin’ a real mess, Ma’am. Me an’ my brothers liked to go swimmin’ on a Sunday but we can’t go now, on account of the oil on the water.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"I concur that meeting Nashoba could be informative. The father told us he's been a strong advocate against the company and its practices. Have you spoken with him much? I imagine he shares many of the same objections as you.."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“I’m aware of his views but I can’t say we have discussed the matter per se,” replied Halpert, tartly.

Psychology roll, please.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy isn’t the most sympathetic of souls, but something about the way Halpert scolds Erasmus rankles her.

Still not 100% sure of their host, she attempts to mend bridges with his driver - perhaps an ally can be found in the surly chauffeur?

While Halpert and Alex chat, she leans forward, keeping her voice low.

“I apologise I got you into trouble. Thank you for answering and I’m sorry you lost your Sunday swims. Perhaps we can do something about it.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

Alex
does not wish offending the man, so decides to play to his bigotries. "Oh of course not, Mr. Halpert. I can't imagine you both sitting down for afternoon tea." he chuckles. "Still,interviewing him could prove useful. Many of our readers have a romanticized view of the Indian, and hearing his tale of woe is a surefire way to attract a sympathetic audience towards the town's plight."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex can tell that Halpert thinks it would be beneath him to spend time in the company of Nashoba.

“Well, yes, I can see how you must present a balanced point of view in your article,” said Halpert. ”And I’m sure Nashoba could tell you what his people think of the situation, such as it is. I do not know of his whereabouts, but I am sure if you enquire in town, someone there will be able to point you in his direction.”

As Ivy spoke, Erasmus looked at her in the rearview mirror, then looked back to the road as they turned off through a grand, stone gateway and onto a long straight road that led through fields of cotton up to a large colonial house in the distance. ”Thank you, Ma’am,” he said quietly, as Halpert told him to drive straight up to the house.

On both sides of the road, Alex and Ivy could see the freshly tilled soil of the cottonfields, with groups of predominantly African Americans working in groups, sewing the seeds for the growing season ahead. Most of the workers ignored their passage, except for one or two of the children - for they worked alongside their parents - who stared as they went past. Halpert looked out of the window as they drove up to the house, nodding in approval at the work being done. “I think we might well have a bumper harvest this year,” he declared.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"We'll be sure to do that. Of course, I expect your words will be given more emphasis in the final story, as a prominent citizen of the community." Alex works to keep his distaste hidden. A man like Halpert enjoyed having his ego stroked.

"That's good to hear! The output has been good over these last few unfortunate years?" He'll make polite small conversation about the history and economical performance of Halpert's fields, reasoning the man would like to boast.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Halpert was obviously taken with Alex’s flattery, although he tried half-heartedly to wave it away. “I’m sure everyone’s views are valid,” said Halpert modestly. “Oh, and that’s Halpert, H A L P E R T,” he said.

As they neared the house, Erasmus beeped the horn twice, so that by the time he brought the car to a halt, the staff were waiting for them. A tall, blonde man with an English accent helped them alight from the car, while the African American servants stood waiting to attend to them, the darkness of their skin in sharp contrast to the white starched aprons that they wore.

“Welcome to my home,” said Halpert proudly.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"It's quite a lovely home." Alex responds. "I hope you don't mind me getting a picture of it for the article. Perhaps one of you in your study as well, a man fighting to save his town."

He thanks the man who helps them out of the vehicle. "Oh my, I wasn't expecting to meet an Englishman here. Has he been in your service long, Mr. Halpert?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“Of course,” Halpert said to Alex. “I’m quite pleased with my study. It’s taken some time to get it right.” He looked up at the sky, tipping the brim of his hat against the sun. “The afternoon sun lights up that side of the house, so we’ll give that an hour or so and we’ll be able to take some photographs.”

As the car crunched to a halt on the gravel drive (which earned Erasmus another sharp look), Halpert said to Ivy Richard has been with me for about five years. He came highly recommended by Massey’s of London, England. There’s just something a cut above about an English butler, don’t you find?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Oh indeed," Ivy replies, scrutinising the house through the car window. "It is reputed that my ancestor, one of the first English settlers in this great country, was a manservant. Made his fortune through trade with the Indians."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“Oh, really?” said Halpert, sounding genuinely interested. ”What was your family name? Perhaps I have come across them in my business dealings.”

As he spoke, Richard opened the car door and gave a short, clipped bow. ”Welcome home, Mr Halpert. I trust you have had an interesting morning. Will your guests be staying?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Not for very long, I'm afraid. I'd relish the opportunity, but we have a job to do in town." Says Alex, getting out of the car. He had asked how long Richard had worked for Halbert in case he had some sort of affiliation with Brophy, but that did not seem to be the case. The detective chided himself for being so suspicious. "But we do greatly appreciate the hospitality," he tells his host. "I suppose it's true what they say about southern manners."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“The original family name was Wergyn,” say Ivy. “But the male line in America died out. Luckily someone married into the Ripleys and the rest is history,” she continues, nodding cordially to Richard as she alights the car.

“Manners maketh the man, is that not so?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“Very much so,” said Halpert as Richard led them inside.

”I’m afraid I don’t recognise the name,” he continued, addressing Ivy. ”Where does the family name originate? Is it Dutch?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Saxon, I believe,” sniffs Ivy.

OOC:   Not far from where I live is a place called Wergins Bridge. I’ve always liked the name and it often pops up in my games and characters :)  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“Saxon?! Ancient, indeed!” said Halpert. ”Perhaps, I should look into the origins of my own name?”

He smiled as Richard pushed open the door to the study, a pleasant, airy room with settees, a large desk and a wall full of books. ”A light lunch, I think, Richard,” he said.

Nice idea 🙂
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"That would be appreciated," Alex says, the topic reminding him how peckish he was indeed.

He can't help but smile as Ivy and Halpert converse. The two seem to be hitting it off-- perhaps love would be in the air. Ivy deserved someone who could make her happy. But first things first. They had a job to do, and romantic musings would have to wait.

For now, lunch. And then, questions.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[31] = 31
Psychology 60 1d100: [ 31 ] = 31

Reading her friend, Ivy knows full well what Alex is thinking. She throws him a sharp, 'don't you dare' kind of look.

"Indeed, lunch would be most welcome," she mutters.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

A very pleasant lunch of salad and fresh fish was served in the dining room adjacent to the study. Once they had finished with a coffee and a cigar, Halpert said, “About that photograph?” and he went and stood in the window, giving Alex a questioning look, expecting the detective to tell him when the light was at it’s most favourable.

Return to “Servants of the Lake”