Ch.16a Black Gold (Alex & Ivy)

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Ch.16a Black Gold (Alex & Ivy)

Post by Philulhu »

“They did, but we need not stand here discussing it,” said Halpert. ”Why not come back to my house and we can discuss matters over a nice glass of iced tea?” He stopped and looked up and down the road. “Where’s my damned driver got to?!”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

While the Alex talks to Halpert, Ivy fumes silently, glaring at the oilmen as if she's attempting to turn them to stone.

"Iced tea would be delightful," she mutters, throwing one last dagger-look at Jones before haughtily turning her back on him and his guards.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

There was a sudden backfiring sound and a large white car chugged along the road, coming to a sudden, skidding halt in front of them. Halpert winced and frowned at the African American driver, who blithely sat staring ahead. Erasmus has not been with me long,” he said tartly.

He stood waiting by the passenger door but clearly Erasmus had no plans to get out and open the door for them so Halpert sighed and opened the door himself.”He should be glad that we don’t whip boys like that anymore,” he said, before forcing a smile.

Offering a hand to Ivy, he said, “May I help you aboard?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Have Lawrence and William described Nyatanga to Alex and Ivy?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I don’t think so, tbh, but I’ll take a hard luck roll to see if Ivy recalls any details from conversations with William or Lawrence.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

In this post William gives a description.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Luck 60 so hard target 30…

[23] = 23
Luck 60 1d100: [ 23 ] = 23
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

William described Nyantanga as a tall, dark-skinned man with black hair which was parted neatly and pomaded. He was neatly dressed in a pinstripe suit, white shirt and bolo tie.

Halpert is white, probably in his late 40s, with dark blonde hair. He favours a light coloured linen suit and straw-coloured Panama hat.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

How does the description compare to the driver?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The driver’s also dark-skinned but younger than the man William described. Nyatanga sounded quite urbane. There’s nothing urbane about the driver, who looks like he’s been shoe-horned into an ill-fitting suit and is slouched over the wheel.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

With a glance to Alex, Ivy accepts Halpert’s invitation to get into the car.

“Is your driver well?” she asks. “He seems somewhat unfocused,”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“He is well enough,” replied Halpert, who rapped sharply on the window glass, indicating that Erasmus should sit up straighter, which the young man did. ”My regular driver quit to look after his sick wife, and Erasmus was the only available option. He usually drives a truck and he is yet to learn the required social niceties. I could drive myself but that really isn’t a good look for a man of my position.”

Having helped Ivy on board, Halpert did the same for Alex, insisting they take the larger seat while he perched on a drop-down seat opposite them. He slid open the glass panel that portioned the the driver and passengers’ cabin, and said, “Take us home, Erasmus. And remember, you are transporting china, not cotton!”

With a teeth-jarring jolt, Erasmus found the gear at the second attempt and pulled away, leaving the oilfields behind. “It shouldn’t take long,” Halpert tried to reassure them with a pained smile.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Alex chides himself for not helping Ivy into the vehicle. But right now they're not pretending to be husband and wife, so perhaps it was alright. Hopefully she did not think him rude.

He gets in the car himself. "Why, we couldn't... thank you very much, Mr. Halpert." The detective says as he takes a seat next to Ivy. "We greatly appreciate your hospitality."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“Just good old-fashioned southern hospitality,” replied Halpert with a smile. ”So have you written for any publications I may have heard of?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Well, I started my career after the Great War. Most of my time was with a few smaller papers, then the Globe up in Boston. Covering local and state matters, though with President Coolidge you can imagine our coverage took a bit of a national bent. Politics was an interesting beat of course, but there's many people telling those stories. I'm more interested in capturing the less notable but still important stories happening in places like Johnson Bayou. Though I have to admit I had no idea there was such conflict here between the oil workers and the townsfolk. They certainly don't seem to be the most agreeable lot. Ah, off the record."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Whereas I am an enthusiastic amateur I suppose," says Ivy, deciding to hide her subterfuge under a veil of truth. "More of a secretary, truth be told."

"So how long has the oil company blighted your town?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“I’m sure your contribution is just as valid,” Halpert said to Ivy. ”And I’m happy to be quoted on the record. The damage that has been done to the local area these last 12 months or so needs to be exposed to a wider audience.”

“No doubt the proprietors of the Vacuum Oil Company are solid businessmen but I am likewise sure that they live many miles away from the disturbance and distress caused by the ruffians they employ. Did you know that they are allowed by law - laws no doubly greased by the the funds from their exploitations - to create storage pits for the unwanted residue from their drilling. It’s meant to be disposed of properly but it’s allowed to leach into the local supply or they burn it off and claim it to be an accident! You should investigate that!”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Indeed it is. We've worked together for awhile now, and I feel she's far more than just a secretary." Alex says. "Ivy has helped me to break more than a few stories."

As Halpert speaks he looks concerned and takes notes, the better to sell their roles. "This Mr. Jones does not seem to be the best example of a company man, no. I wonder what Vacuum will say when I bring his behavior to their attention. Of course we'll need to talk to a few more people first, ensure we get a fair assessment of the man; but if he's as disliked as he appears to be, I venture to guess we won't find much support for him here."

He shares a look with Ivy. "We'd like to examine these storage pits later. Company pollutes pristine town without regard is outrageous and could sell very well with our audience." The detective is finding he quite enjoys his role as a journalist.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“I expect you will find some residents of each persuasion,” replied Halpert. ”Those who make money from what the oilmen spend, and those who are not directly affected by the destruction they cause probably care little.”

“But there are a number of us who do care; myself, that indigenous fellow, Nashoba, and Father Daigle all believe that any benefits from drilling for oil cannot be outweighed by the damage done to our town.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"We've met the good father, but you must arrange an introduction to this Nashoba fellow," Ivy retorts, before leaning over to speak to Erasmus.

"And what is your opinion?"

Return to “Servants of the Lake”