Ch.16 Bayou Blues

The voice on the phone said, "I understand that you are a friend of my son, James. He has gone missing. I require your assistance in bringing him home again...”

A university student has gone missing. Can his friends find out what has happened to James Frazer in 1920s Massachusetts?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Ch.16 Bayou Blues

Post by Philulhu »

The two churchmen frowned as they walked over to inspect the damage. ”I haven’t seen the like before, have you Father?” said Father Ortega, to which the older man shook his head.

Father Daigle stood up straight and looked about. Mentally, he was placing his parishioners in their regular seats. Most sat in the same seats each time, depending upon the service, though one or two would move around depending who was there that day. “None of the regulars,” he said, muttering family names and pointing out to himself where they sat, his finger moving as he pictured the groups in which they sat. “It’s going to be one of our less frequent attendees or someone from out of town,” he declared.

As Alex is taking a closer look at the carving, give me a spot hidden for some further info.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

"Perhaps one of the oilmen?" Alex asks as he closely examines the mark.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is there anyone else here from out of town besides us and the oilmen?" asks William.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Would the oilmen sit here, or one of Mr. Halpert's staff?" asks Ivy, supressing a shudder. "The Big House? I take it he's an important fellow around these parts?"
Last edited by jp1885 on Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

"There's a lot more to the world than any of us know. He really could be seeing ghosts... But I'd put my money on the 'shine. Nothing goes together like grain liquor and a troubled mind." Lawrence admits. Seeing no reason to press an unknowing child for more answers, he leaves to rejoin the others- not before dispensing some sage advice, however.
"You watch out for snakes out here, you hear?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“As far as I know, I was the last person to move here permanently. Other than me and Billy Trahan’s wife, no-one’s moved here for more than a year,” said Father Ortega. He glanced at the older cleric, who nodded in agreement.

“We don’t many of Mr Halpert’s people here. He comes regularly, but he arranges for a preacher to lead a service for his workers, on account of there being so many of them.” He cast a sidelong glance at the older man, who affected not to notice. Behind them, the church door creaked open to admit Lawrence.

The carving is relatively recent but the sharp edges from the knife cuts have dulled somewhat. He’d estimate it being less than a month old.

”I will, mister,” said the kid. He waved farewell and went back to playing with his ball.

I’ve written you back into the main thread above.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William turns to look as Lawrence enters. He knows there's no point in them pretending they don't know each other, as the general store proprietor had already seen them together, and any deception would be rapidly uncovered and hurt their credibility. "This is the fourth member of our party," he says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Fully in detective mode, Alex traces the mark with his fingers. "The mark itself looks somewhat recent; notice how the edges of the cuts seem to have dulled here? I'd wager a guess we're looking at a mark that's less than a month old. Has anyone unusual been in here in that time frame?"

"I do apologize for all the questions." He smiles, thinks for a moment, then continues, having decided both men are trustworthy and it was better to attempt to elicit their support by bringing them into their confidence rather than having them gossip all over town. "While we are looking forward to enjoying the hospitality of your lovely town and community, we've also come looking for a man by the name of Nyatanga. At least, that's what he was going by previously. The man has a dark past and led some sort of cult that venerated snakes, which piqued my curiosity about this mark here." He looks to William and Lawrence, unsure if they'll add anything to his explanation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

William gives a physical description of Nyatanga. "My friend here is a police detective up north," he says. "We're working with the Sheriff based in Baton Rouge to try to locate Nyatanga, who kidnapped me and my other friend last year in Terrebonne Parish." He gestures to Lawrence. "We barely escaped with our lives. We've determined that he has made his way to Johnson Bayou. This carving is an indication that he, and perhaps some of his followers, is indeed here." He turns to Alex. "Do you have a fingerprint kit with you? It's highly likely that the vandal has touched the wood while making that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bullfrog
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Bullfrog »

Lawrence says nothing, at first, utterly transfixed by the carving; his eyes are wide but empty, some small distillation of that vast madness that possessed him at a military hospital in France. In his mind, he is stepping off of his island of ignorance, wading into the vast ocean of the unknown; trying to understand that which defies comprehension, even if just a little bit.

He exhales. Back to reality.
"I don't really know how print-taking works, but I don't think the people out here are likely to give us anything to compare with. I don't suppose they have much reason to trust the law."

Cthulhu Mythos 6%: 1d100
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Keeping a wary eye on Lawrence, Ivy also studies the Priests' reaction to William's revelation.

"I wonder if Nyatanga is influencing some of the oilmen, or even Mr. Halpert - if you'll forgive me for casting aspersions at your parishioners," she says.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   I assume Alex does not have a fingerprint kit but am happy to leave it up to the keeper on whether I do or should roll for it.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I’ll take a luck check to see if you brought one with you but if you did, I’ll assume that you left it in your luggage in your lodgings, rather than carry it around with you.

At William’s revelation about being kidnapped, the two clerics frowned and gave each other a puzzled look, as if they weren’t quite sure they could believe what they were hearing. Nyatanga isn’t a name I recognise. What about you, Father?” said Father Ortega. The older man shook his head. “But I’ve spoken to the oilmen and on their own, most are quite civil, if a little rough. They don’t appear to have any ulterior motive, they just have a hard job and like to blow off steam from time to time. They do get a little rowdy, though!”

“As for Mr Halpert, I guess you might say he’s a bit old-fashioned and stuck in his ways. He owns the cotton plantation on the edge of town - his family have been there since the late 1700s. He and the oil company don’t exactly see eye-to-eye. He says he’s sticking up for local people and protecting the local environment, but they say that he’s standing in the way of progress. There’s no easy answer to that particular conundrum,” said Father Daigle.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You mentioned that the oilmen have their own preacher," says William. "Who is he, and what do you know about him?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

"Unfortunately, this carving is a pretty good indication he's recently arrived here, as William says. I would ask you to keep this knowledge between yourselves for the time being; the last thing we want to do is cause a panic, or allow Nyatanga or his followers to realize they've been tracked down.

"Still, we now know that someone affiliated with him was likely here in the last month. Do either of you recall who was sitting here during services this last month?"

Alex shakes his head at William's question. "Unfortunately I don't; I suppose I was expecting this to be more of a vacation," he chuckles self consciously. "But even if the good fathers don't recall who was sitting here, we may be able to set up some sort of stakeout and see if our perp comes back during the next service."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's tonight," says William. "We'll be here, and we can see for ourselves who sits there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“Oilmen?” said Father Daigle, with a puzzled look. “He means Mr Halpert,” interjected Father Ortega. “Most of his workers are former slaves - a mix of free men and indentured workers. They prefer their own brand of church; more clapping, singing, and fire and brimstone. Having their own preacher - Preacher Litton - makes it easier all around.”

“I don’t really recall anyone sitting in that spot especially, but you’re welcome to join us later.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"A little wholesome worship won't go amiss," says Ivy primly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Who is Preacher Litton?" asks William. "Can you describe him?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“He isn’t too tall, probably no more than five and a half feet, and about as round,” said Father Daigle. “He‘s better fed than most of the people he preaches to, that’s for sure. If that wasn’t enough, he’s got a shock of white hair that sticks up any which way it wants. Like a fellow who touched one of those electricity machines at the state fair. You can’t miss him!”

Return to “Servants of the Lake”